It's Harry's third year at Hogwarts; not only does he have a new "Defense Against the Dark Arts" teacher, but there is also trouble brewing. Convicted murderer Sirius Black has escaped the Wizards' Prison and is coming after Harry.
When Willy Wonka decides to let five children into his chocolate factory, he decides to release five golden tickets in five separate chocolate bars, causing complete mayhem. The tickets start to be found, with the fifth going to a very special boy, called Charlie Bucket. With his Grandpa, Charlie joins the rest of the children to experience the most amazing factory ever. But not everything goes to plan within the factory.Written by
Cocoa beans are actually very bitter. Sugar and other ingredients have to be added before they taste like chocolate. See more »
In the Nut Sorting Room, Veruca stands with her hands on the railing in front of her. There are a matched pair of shots over her shoulders where her hands are clearly visible. (The shots approximate to Willy Wonka's and Mr Salt's Points of View.) In the shot over Veruca's right shoulder the gap at the side of the gate is clearly seen between her resting hands. In the reverse angle over her left shoulder the handrail is unbroken. See more »
This is a story of an ordinary little boy named Charlie Bucket. He was not faster, or stronger, or more clever than other children. His family was not rich or powerful or well-connected; in fact, they barely had enough to eat. Charlie Bucket was the luckiest boy in the entire world. He just didn't know it yet.
See more »
The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures logos appear to be made of gold and come out from behind white fog. See more »
On Cartoon Network, TBS, and TNT, a few scenes were cut out, and the songs Violet Beauregarde and Veruca Salt are shortened. See more »
Tim Burton did a great job with musical numbers in Nightmare Before Christmas, but the same isn't true in the live action Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. With the exception of the musical scenes, this film is a splendid film with imagery, characters, and a general mood characteristic of Burton's films.
Burton's version is a fresh retelling of the story and is a much different film than the 1971 version. (I never thought I'd say this, but I think I prefer the musical numbers in the '71 version, poor graphics and all!). It also includes new scenes at the end which are supposedly authorized by Rohd Dahl's widow. I think the story was better as it was, but the scenes do support the additional depth Burton injected into Wonka, so I do appreciate the scenes for what they do.
Depp was fabulous (look for at least one Edward Scissorhands reference) though at times reminded me of a modern Michael Jackson (shudder). The only miscast character, in my opinion, was Missi Pyle as Mrs. Beauregard. She does play a good witch, but I'd have preferred someone else in the role.
The opening sequence has some beautiful CG, though one of the final scenes has *terrible* character animation rotoscoped in a live action scene (the Violet Beauregarde character).
90% of the movie is true magic. The other 10% is ruined by the musical acts (and I LOVE musicals). By the third number I learned it was a great time to get a popcorn refill or hit the restroom...
The film is certainly appropriate for children and adults and both will enjoy it.
8 of 10 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this