The Prophecy: Uprising (Video 2005) Poster

(2005 Video)

Surprisingly Good
tarbosh220005 June 2005
I don't know why "The Prophecy: Uprising" was collecting dust on a shelf at Miramax, when this is a pretty decent movie that should've gotten a theatrical release. You don't have to see the other "Prophecy" movies to watch this one. It stands alone, even though "The Prophecy: Forsaken" is coming out on September 6th. Kari Wuhrer is Allison, who finds a bible that can change the world. Sean Pertwee co-stars as Dani, a cop who has a terrible past. Pertwee is excellent in the role. Doug Bradley of the "Hellraiser" movies has a pivotal role in this too. The flashbacks and quick cuts also work very well. Of course, the script is silly sometimes, but that works to it's advantage. In the end: Don't be hit by "sequelitis" and pass it by. It's definitely worth seeing.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com
36 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One terrific movie
Craig_McPherson4 July 2005
I began to suspect something was up when I found it impossible to obtain a copy of Prophecy Uprising from my local video rental outlet. Initially I chalked it up to the fact that they only had one copy in stock, as opposed to the bazillion copies most releases command. However, upon doing a tour of other outlets in my area I was consistently confronted with the same thing. Each store only carried one or two copies and all were perpetually rented.

Curious, I checked what online reviews I could locate and most uniformly praised the film as a highly entertaining effort.

Finally my luck paid off and I managed to score a rental copy, and based on my viewing I have to say that the reviewers were right. This is one heck of a tight and entertaining film.

In fact, it's arguably the best by far in the entire series of Prophecy films, even though it doesn't feature the great Christopher Walken at all.

I can only surmise that this film didn't get a theatrical release simply because the powers that be at Dimension Films must have concluded that the Prophecy franchise (if such could be said to exist) was on its last legs and had run its course. It would be a shame if true for this movie completely invigorates the concept behind the films, and lays the groundwork for at least one more film, one of which, I'm now of the opinion, could only be done justice if done by the same director (Joel Soisson) and writers as Prophecy Uprising.

Make no mistake about it. This is not some hackneyed special effects blood and guts fright fest. Rather, this is actually a pretty clever and tightly written suspense film done from a detective perspective. The movie relies on viewers to be familiar with the concept behind the original Prophecy movie, but only in terms of the whole war in heaven issue. Beyond that the movie stands on its own and does a pretty clever take on the concept put forth in the original.

Performances are sound all around. The direction, editing, scoring and production values are all top notch. In short, you really can't go wrong with this most fine of direct-to-video gems.

Now I understand why this movie has been hard to obtain. It's good, pure and simple. Check it out and you be the judge.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
War of Angels
claudio_carvalho7 May 2006
In Bucharest, the tormented detective Dani Simionescu (Sean Pertwee) is investigating bizarre deaths with the heart removed from the victims. The Interpol agent John Riegert (John Light) is assigned to be his partner in the case. Meanwhile, the clerk of the church Alisson (Kari Wuhrer) finds the local priest dead and a mysterious bible, "The Prophet Lexicon", where the last chapter about the apocalypse, called Revelations, is being somehow written. The voice of an angel, called Simon, advises her that she must protect the bible against a demon called Belial that wants to read this final chapter to have advantages in the war of angels.

"The Prophecy: Uprising" follows the same premises of Christopher Walken's "Prophecy" movies, but it is not a sequel. There are new characters and the story is also good. The locations in Bucharest and the cold and quite dark cinematography contribute with the atmosphere of the film. I liked the performance of the cast, especially John Light with his evil look and Sean Pertwee. I believe that viewers that like movies about fallen angels will also like this good flick. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Profecia: A Guardiã do Destino" ("Prophecy: The Guardian of the Destiny")
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
most original storyline I've seen in years
kechupydeath23 June 2005
The action of the movie takes place in Romania (my country) and I can say that unlike other movies in which Romania is the base ground this one offers a very realistic view of the country. I was especially pleased to hear the excellent accent the actors have sometimes, which is a very hard thing to do, I've never seen an English man speak romanian like a real one. The characters in this movie are the most original ones I've seen in years. They're just like the characters in video games, you must think like that character to understand him and his actions. I give this movie a 9 because it's an original movie with an original storyline, although the movie could have been done a lot better. In our days it's very hard to come up with an original idea for a story, lots of movies have a common structure which make them box office hits (special effects, famous actors, nude scenes, etc) but at one point you get tired to watch the same thing over and over again. I hope that in the future will have more movies of this kind.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Walken, but there's Light! (sorry about the pun!)
super marauder23 July 2013
Like everyone, I couldn't imagine this series without Christopher Walken. I've never been a fan of Kari Wurher, and the only thing that I knew about Sean Pertwee that he is Jon's son.

So I got it on a two disc set of all of the Phophecies, so what the heck and SURPIRSE! It was good.

Sean Pertwee was great as the police officer who is trying to make up for a terrible deed that he did as a child. Even Kari Wurher was good in this as the troubled person who suddenly had the weight of the world on her shoulders, but it was John Light who really sold me on this. From the start you could see that there was something not right about him. He was cool, yet creepy at the same time. And some of the looks that he gave really sent chills up and down my spine. Him and Sean played well off of each other. Plus, it was nice to see Doug Bradley playing something else besides Pinhead.

This movie reminded me a little of The Omen, But for me it is a very deep movie touching base on the idea that it's hard to see true good and evil anymore and how this time Satan has a war in hell because of this.

Over all the movie is good, and I don't mean to go on about him but John Light really makes it worth watching. I think this one stands well on it's own without Christopher Walkin. This is the kind of horror movie that I like where it's not about body counts, but the story and characters is what keeps you interested.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much to do with the original trilogy, but a really good movie
rooprect17 October 2012
I watched this movie expecting to hate it, knowing that there was no Christopher Walken and more importantly that the Prohpecy trilogy had concluded perfectly with Prophecy 3.

But "Prophecy 4 (Uprising)" avoids all ties to the first 3, and so it becomes a standalone story with its own merit. Prophecy purists may dislike it for that reason, and I almost wish it had been released under a different title. But then I probably never would've heard of it, much less watched it. Maybe the same goes for you too. Dimension Films deserves to have its heart ripped out of its chest cavity for not releasing this in theaters.

Not only is it different in story & characters, but the style is grittier and has more of a "film" quality (despite the fact that this movie, as well as Prophecy 2 & 5, were direct-to-video releases). The story takes place and is filmed in Romania with an authentic European feel, and most characters speak with a British accent. And we all know that British accents immediately make a movie classy. Except when Keanu Reeves tries it.

"Prophecy 4 Uprising" is a great suspense thriller with a nice twist that brings it home at the end. If you're lucky, nobody has ruined it for you yet. You don't need to know about the plot except that, once again, it's about a bunch of angels behaving badly.

What I love most about this film is that it blurs the distinction between the labels "good" and "evil". All the Prophecy films touched on the concept of moral ambiguity, but this is the film that hits us hard with it, doesn't hold back, and even has a nice Machivellian speech near the end to emphasize the point. (If you skipped reading Machiavelli's "The Prince" in 12th grade Poli-Sci class, it's about the idea that morals & ethics do not exist in politics. Most politicians today would probably agree, though never out loud.)

Is there such thing as good & evil, or are they arbitrary labels we create to suit our own selfish viewpoints? This challenging theme can be found in many great stories like Clint Eastwood's "The Unforgiven", (the new) "Battlestar Galactica", and "Wall Street" (with Gordon Gecco's famous speech: "Greed is good"). If this theme interests you, and I'm guessing it does if you're a Prophecy fan, do NOT miss this movie.

A final word about the humor (an essential ingredient of all Prophecy films)... There are some great, witty & comedic lines in this movie. John Light & Sean Pertwee, two actors I'd never seen before, excel at their sly banter, giving us more than a few lol moments. Sure there's no Walken... but hey we'll live.

Movies I would compare this to in style & atmosphere include "Moscow Zero", some of the recent James Bond films, and the criminally-underrated masterpiece "Exorcist III".
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent entry, if not overtly spectacular
slayrrr66611 February 2007
"The Prophecy: Uprising" is a decent if unremarkable entry in the series.

**SPOILERS**

After a slew of murders in a Romanian town, Interpol Agent John Reigert, (John Light) and local inspector Dani Simionescu, (Sean Pertwee) are teamed up together to investigate the crimes. After searching through the clues, they come to a deserted house where he realizes that his long-lost sister, Allison, (Kari Wuhrer) is still alive. As they try to get to her, she is being chased by a group of demons for a book in her possession that spells the end of humanity. As they race to find her and get the book in control, they fend off constant attacks from a shape shifting demon who wants the book for their own purposes.

The Good News: This was a fairly nice addition to the series. The gore here isn't that bad. The majority are the traditional hearts ripped out, leaving the empty chest behind, while we do get a couple of other deaths in here. A person is mauled by dogs, leaving cuts and bloody scratches over the body, some gunshots and falling over balconies, landing with a bloody splat on impact. The film's best scene is the flashback to the torture chamber, as the walk-through of the house prior, darkened only with the use of flashlights to provide light, full of twisted staircases, corners and more, all in an eerie mood and ambiance, and then to swing around full-tilt and show a series of gruesome tortures being inflicted is quite a sight. The tortures aren't that sickening, but they are painful, and it helps it out with making it a really memorable scene. From the escape at the police station to the ending, we get a non-stop series of great moments that really have a nice flow to them as the fight continues on and makes for some decent action sequences. A really sinister showdown in the decrepit manor is an undoubted highlight, as is the car chase through the narrow streets of the city. The opening foot chase through the back-alleys of the city, through the yards and out into the open, culminating in a real surprise in the church is a great opener, and the little scenes, such as the POV shot of the pursuer running up stairs or the moment where they look down into a puddle and see the barely visible shadow of the pursuer above make for a great all-around scene. It's pretty decent at times.

The Bad News: This film is a pretty standard affair with several big problems. The first one is the incredibly confusing story. The entire thing goes on for a while without offering anything in the guise of an explanation for anything in the film. There's nothing given for why this whole war between the sides is going on, and it's just assumed that since it's about a religious text that the demonic forces would be after it, but since that's all based on an assumption, that's never a reason enough for it and the entire film is like that. Hardly anything in here is given and considering the amount of dialog in here, that's quite surprising. That brings up the second main problem, as the film is way too talky without anything happening. There are some action sequences, but these are all towards the end of the film, leaving the first two-thirds to be filled with endless talking and the occasional murder that isn't that frightening. It really needed a more cohesive flow to it to break up all the talking. The murders here are pretty graphic, but all tend to be done the same way. Every person killed is done by having their heart ripped out or gunshot, and it leads to a suspense-less viewing when it's all the same. Otherwise, this wasn't that bad.

The Final Verdict: Had it fixed a few problems, this wouldn't have been all that bad, and it's still a decent and watchable entry in the series. It's got enough for fans to get into without them being left behind, but those that like a little more coherence and action in their films might want to proceed with caution.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language and Brief Nudity
Not Bad
radharc9 June 2005
This was a decent installment in the series, and was actually much better than #2 (even without Walken) as a whole.

**SPOILER** Some schools of thought believe that Satan and Lucifer are 2 different entities. This, of course, works quite well as there are 2 different actors portraying these characters, with 2 completely different takes of the characters. Maybe this is just because Viggo has more star-power now, but I'd like to think the writer is making the delineation between the two quite clear.

At any rate, rent it or buy it. It's better than a lot of dreck that's out there. This one should have gotten a theatrical release...
The Prophecy meets Lethal Weapon
jaywolfenstien6 December 2006
While the production teams behind the latest Hellraiser, Dracula, and Prophecy films certainly deserve credit for trying to take said franchises into new territories, most of their efforts to breath new life into the series never quite come through as successful. Fans will forever dispute over which elements of the original should stay the same in the sequel, which elements should evolve, and which elements should change entirely.

Prophecy: Uprising gets it right.

Christopher Walken's character, the fallen angel Gabriel, has rightly left the franchise as his story has come full circle in Prophecy 3: Ascent (although, admittingly, a cameo would've been nice -- minor gripe.) Uprising continues the spirit of the Prophecy films with angels warring on earth over the fate of Heaven, Hell, and God's favor. This time around, the war continues with the fallen angel, Belial, seeking an ancient text which shall foretell the coming apocalypse in detail.

This text, the Prophet's Lexicon, has fallen into the hands of a young woman named Allison. And while the angel, Simon, guides her away from the demon, the film mainly follows the detective Dani who has gained a new partner, John Riegert. Dani and John investigate a series of bizarre murders where the victims have had their hearts violently removed, which ties back to Belial and sooner or later all the characters shall come face to face.

The curious thing about Prophecy Uprising, and the factor that I admire most, is how the plot feels almost inconsequential in the sense that fans already have a clear idea where the film is heading (and non-fans won't be very far behind, either.) Barring superficial changes, the storyline doesn't differ too terribly from the original Prophecy, yet Uprising manages find its own voice via its new Romanian locations, its new cast and creative team that pay proper respects to Walken and Widen, but still manage to make the performances and the film their own. This slight distinction gives Uprising a surprisingly refreshing flavor and raises it above what I expected to find in a third sequel (direct-to-video, no less.) The film opens with a slightly heavy-handed chase sequence (did we really have to hide the pursuer?) that contains an interesting, somewhat jarring, moment where the nameless man scales a wall, leaving the rain-soaked streets of Bucharest to enter a white wintery domain for seemingly no reason. It offers an interesting other-worldly moment to the chase, which I welcome in this age of overused chase sequences. The man looks around at the changed surroundings in shock, then flings Romanian currency behind him in a nice slow motion shot as he continues his flight from the unseen pursuer. When caught, which tends to happen to characters chased in movie openings, the pursuer turns out to be a crooked detective (the aforementioned Dani, played by Sean Pertwee) who proceeds to rob this wasted junky of whatever cash he has left.

But from there John Light takes the spotlight, not making much of an effort to hide the angelic enigma behind his character's alter-ego (thank you, John Light.) In a film franchise about angels, the mystery behind detective Riegert would not stay a mystery for long, so John Light rightly makes it plain to the viewer from the get-go. And there's a certain charm to his interpretation of an angel incognito -- a playful nudge and a wink, if you will, for those who would figure out the, ahem, "surprise" early. Looking over a crime scene, with barely any observation he notes with a distinct lack of interest, "I think you'll find the heart was removed before your friend fell." The film focuses primarily on the partnership between John and Dani and their investigation of the murder string. Kind of a buddy-cop film, if you will. Right up until John unveils his true nature to Dani in a mansion that houses the spirit of atrocities from Dani's past. A kind of "hell on earth" Riegert muses while the ghosts haunt Dani's conscience in a series of slick, well cut, flashbacks. I particularly liked this exploration of Dani's treacherous history that builds on the truth we've already seen -- that this detective does not represent spiritual purity, and yet we follow this character.

Meanwhile the film cuts away just enough to drive the story of Belial's pursuit of the more pure protagonist, Allison (Kari Wurher), until the inevitable confrontation where angels and humankind have their final showdown in a wonderfully atmospheric location, laced with blue light, and deep shadows. I loved the restraint and simplicity of the ending, I loved the shot composition that shows John Light as little more than a silhouette in the background as an implied protective force -- keeping Allison and Dani under his wing, so to speak -- so they have a chance against Belial.

Flawed? Indeed. Leaving quirky questions like "Why did Dani empty his gun except for two bullets going into the final confrontation?" and "How come the heart-rip theme seems inconsistent at the end of the film?" But never mind. I was impressed that Uprising managed to find its own voice while pulling a few unique tricks out of its hat, ending the film on the note that they did. I watched with satisfaction as the victorious angel walked into the sunset to burst into a flock of birds. Cue the end credits and the end of this review.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of a new beginning rather than a sequel
wolfshadw14 July 2005
The first three movies were about the angels who stood beside God during the first war in Heaven and then divided; creating a second angel war. This movie seems like the beginning of a new story concerning a division between those who had fallen in that first war.

While, sadly, there is no Christopher Walken, there really is no part or place for Gabriel in this story. This is about God's as yet, written prophecy and how Hell's minions want to use it for their own purposes.

The central character of this movie is Dani (Sean Pertwee), a Romanian cop with a past, but the central character of the story (this movie and the next) is Allison (Kari Wuhrer) who, for lack of a better term, "inherits" the One bible, in which God is writing the last chapter of Revelations. Whoever gets God's final Revelation first will have the upper hand, not only in Hell, but Heaven as well. Unfortunately, too soon after we figure this out, the credits are rolling. This leaves the character-build of Allison incomplete and one can only hope we get a clearer understanding in September's follow-up, The Prophecy: Forsaken.

To sum up, if you're a Christopher Walken fan looking for Gabe to toot his horn one more time, don't bother with this film. If you're a Kari Wuhrer fan, you'll probably be disappointed with the lack of her character building. If you're a Sean Pertwee or John Light (as Satan) fan, or a fan of the series in general, this movie is a must!

Side Note: One possibly implied reference to a character in the original series: During the internet chat session where Dani's trying to gather information about corpses missing their hearts, he gets a reply from "joseph_1995". Reference to Thomas Dagget's autopsy doctor friend, Joseph (played by Steve Hytner) and the year the original film was released???
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but not as good as the original
that_darn_punk1925 June 2005
I thought the movie was good considering that we're talking about a movie that obviously can never measure up to the original. I was a skeptic at first, but after seeing it, I now have a little more faith that maybe the movies would get even better and by the time 2307 comes, we might get an awesome Prophecy movie.

Joking aside, not a bad movie, go rent it...really!

The acting was descent, could have been more or better special effects, the plot was definitely interesting..a few good twists. I recommend that if you're a die hard Prophecy fan and wont watch unless Walken is in it, don't bother, but those of us who aren't, just plain see it for the sheer fun of a new movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Walken, no good movie
movieman_kev23 September 2005
A series of grisly ritualistic murders transpires in Bucharest, Romania. Gruff cop, Dani Simionescu (Sean Pertwee from "Dog Soldiers" and "Equilibrium" ) teams up with Interpol agent, John Riegert (John Light) to track the killer down. Meanwhile, Allison (new B-movie mainstay, Kari Wuhrer) is a church worker, who, after her priest drops dead, gets to be in possession of an ancient manuscript called the Lexicon, that is still being written by an unseen hand and holds the key to turning the tides in the war against God's army and the army of Satan depending on who gets to it first. Now she is being pursued by both in this movie that has tenuous links to the previous three films at best. Entering this film I was very skeptical about a Prophecy film with no Christopher Walken in sight and to it this film set on the shelf for some time before getting a release and my expectations were low to non-existent. I was surprised then that the film was better than the atrocious part 2. Sean Pertwee in no small part, helped with the enjoyment of the film with his excellent acting, even if the story itself is lacking. The metaphysical pseudo-religious mumbo-jumbo does tend to try one's patience before the film is over, and the lack of any real ending still makes this one pretty bad, it's just better than I had expected.

My Grade: D+
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fredericksmith19525 April 2012
While based on the original "Prophecy" movies, this fourth installment features new characters and an interesting plot twist. Unfortunately, the film opens slowly and does not give us the same introductions as the first three. You have to stay with the film through some pretty uninteresting footage for about 20 minutes before the story takes hold. Missing is the comic element of the original, as well as the appeal of Christopher Walken, who has personally saved more than 20 films simply by being in them. I offer as evidence Suicide Kings and The Rundown, to name just two. John Light does a very passable job as Satan, although that isn't revealed until late in the film, and Sean Pertwee presents well as the man attempting to atone for his sin of informing on his parents to the communists when he was a child. Kari Wuhrer is the character who will join us in the fifth film, and she does a fine job of preparing us for the character to come. Jason London as Simon is interesting, but lacks passion in his performance. Overall, this film is less than adequate to follow in the footsteps of the original trilogy, which is why it lacks the numeral sequence to identify it. Rated R for violence, disturbing images, and language, I don't see this as becoming collectible, even to fans of the original series. But if you liked the first three, you'll probably enjoy this new venture into the battles between angels.
very good indeed!
omega1324 June 2005
Well, to say I'm surprised is the least. I didn't expect much, I was only hoping that the movie would not end up in a blood and gore with no sense - as many cheap (I was considering this movie as such - straight to video? what the hell?) flicks do. But was I finally saw surprised me a lot. I liked the idea, most of the plot, the climate and last but not least - the cast. Honestly, I really appreciate the cast, especially men who've played Dani and John (!). The latter actually looked like somebody "else". Anyway, I'd really recommend this movie to all fans of horror/mystery genre but not only to them. It's been my first contact with The Prophecy series and I might think about watching the previous 3 (?) parts... are they that good? 8/10 - absolutely!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
is good considering C.Walken is missing
philyhoops6 June 2005
Although Gabriel-Cristopher Walken- is not in this one again the whole story is pretty good, and the whole Romania location brings an extra feeling of Good vs Evil, perhaps it'll make much more sense once Forsaken is out as well. Nevertheless anyone who watched the first 3 parts of the Prophecy should watch this one and the one coming out later this year. Hopefully in Forsaken we'll get Walken back!! I give this a 6 out of 10. Special effects are good, story line can be dull at times but intriguing and you don't get bored.The only thing that lacks is a character like Gabriel.Is fantastic to see they have chosen a location like Romania, a fairly unknown country filled with mystery and superstitions.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie to come across on TV....
kooleshwar27 January 2007
I was sitting one night with nothing better to do fully determined to watch a movie on TV, hopefully a good rerun of an action film. To my dismay the only movie about to start was this movie.(How I pray for movie on demand and other such services to come in India soon).

I hadn't even heard of this movie (or the original im obviously no fan) so I proceeded to check the info available in the program guide, the movie sounded really interesting with the fallen angel angel, ironically the info was about the original starring Christopher Walken and not this one, still and luckily so, I decided to watch this movie.

The movie starts with a murder and a general feeling of uneasiness which almost never leaves you throughout the movie. The movie succeeds in creating a tense atmosphere without any real histrionics, most of which is achieved through some REALLY GOOD BACKGROUND SOUNDS AND GREAT CINEMATOGRAPHY.

The Gothic style and dark winter gloom is achieved brilliantly.

The acting is top class from the entire cast besides the only good performance from Kari. Really there were many better people who could have been hired for their acting talent so if your hiring her you could have at least put her physical attributes to better use. Sean Pertwee but up a real brilliant performance with an accent that sounds like a east European man whos been in england.

The one-liners and dialogues of this movie nothing short of brilliant and are delivered with complete ease there is no extra effort to sound cool here that often happens in many movies, besides the standard scenarios that are tailor made for one-liners and memorable quotes this movie churns them out even in scenes when you least expect it.

By far the biggest flaw of this movie is its climax which is dry and boring as compared the entire movie, really after seeing the movie I expected a very classy end minus the histrionics but this was downright disappointing, even a traditional wham-bham ending with the religious chants, etc and other practices that are used to banish evil forces, would have been preferred over this lacklustre ending.Also the ending ruined some of the potential in the sequels (as expected there are many).

Maybe it was the fact that I read the incorrectly uploaded info but you never really whats happening in the movie till the very end that pleases me to no end, as I'm generally so good its scary at predicting movies.

For a direct to DVD/shown on TV movie, this movie has some excellent production values given the limited budget that such movies will have, even the script is very well written with some excellent dialogues and one-liners, the movie succeeds in creating a constant feeling of gloom and fear, with great use of direction, cinematography and background score, YET A POOR CLIMAX IS NOT SOMETHING ANY MOVIE CAN GET AWAY WITH AND THIS MOVIE TOO FALLS SHORT BECAUSE OF THIS SINGLE MAJOR FLAW.

A great movie to just come across on TV or stay up late at night to watch alone(both apply to me), good for renting and watching at night(this feels like a night film) on a idle holiday but finding the correct company is going to be tricky as this movies doesn't comply with the histrionics and special effects oriented horror/thrillers of today.

If you like movies with some great dialogue mild (but entertaining) drama, and a good blend of horror, action, fantasy etc and especially if you like watching well made B-movies then this movie is perfect for you.

A must watch if you come across the above situations or fit into the above criteria.

total 8/10 (factoring in expectations and B-movie status i didn't expect anything so it surpassed my expectations, its productions values and dialogs especially are super by any standards, but will bring down any film).

-s a ordinary and sequel oriented climax , one or two corny scenes.

+/-s Kari Wuhrer +s super dialogues, great production values (by any standards), some really good and tense scenes, superb acting, constant feeling of mystery and gloom.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Sequel..
BatmanFunReviews20184 November 2018
Sean Pertwee was really good in The Prophecy: Uprising but also in general this movie series is very much great although i do kinda miss you know Chrostopher Walken as Gabriel? The Series knows how to work properly even without his presence as a whole and that's something that not alot of Franchises can do right.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minus Walken, sequel still worth watching if you liked prior sequels
a_chinn10 June 2017
Surprisingly okay direct-to-video fourth film in the Prophecy film franchise (even minus Christopher Walken) about bad angels continuing to try to bring about the end of man. With Walken gone from the series, the new main bad angel is played by none other than Doug Bradley, best known to horror fans as Pinhead from the Hellraiser films, but the main character of the film is Kari Wuhrer, playing a woman in possession of an ancient secret tome that contains an unfinished chapter of The Bible describing in more detail the end of times. Writer/director Joel Soisson seems to have specialized in direct-to-video sequels ranging from sequels to Piranha, Mimic, Hellraiser, Children of the Corn, Pulse and so on and so forth. Of these low budget sequels that I've seen, none of them are great, but none of them are terrible either, and they all seem to be in this middle ground of being mildly diverting if you enjoyed the earlier films, which is my overall assessment of this sequel. Joseph LoDuca provides the film's music.
Worth a Look
thisisdennisgcarrier2 August 2016
I only have one complaint about this movie. Really having to listen closely to understand the dialogue of the British actors. Too many had really thick accents and they talked too fast. Really annoying. Had to keep rewinding to understand what they were saying. Turning up the volume didn't help. It reminded me of George C. Scott in "Patton" when he said British and Americans were "Two people separated by a common language." Aristocratic British accent is easier to understand, perhaps because they draw out their words, but these actors were speaking with the accents of the common British. I liked the opening sequences with the dogs, it was reminiscent of "Damien" with those vicious and Satanic Rottweilers.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Name recognition will only take you so far...
oneguyrambling24 September 2011
Truth be told The Prophecy was lucky to get one sequel let alone 4 of them. The original was an excellent little unexpected B film that thanks to Christopher Walken and a catchy theological themed plot got a little buzz, but every release since has progressively deteriorated in quality, leading to two unnecessary films that are basically cashing in on the name.

While I'm feeling especially honest these two films were only ever going to be ordinary fare it was the name that got me to rent them in the first place – a different title would have seen me walk past these two low rent cheapies for eternity.

Both Prophecy Uprising and Forsaken (4 and 5 respectively) feature the same new characters, are only 2 and a bit hours in length combined – with credits and flashbacks padding that – and were released in the same year.

They may as well have gone ahead and merged the two… but that wouldn't have had completists like me shilling for two rentals would it? The film(s) take place in Eastern Europe in an area particularly run down and stricken with poverty, Dani (Sean Pertwee) is a cop who is not altogether on the straight and narrow. When investigating the death of his snitch he is joined by a man who claims to be from Interpol named "John".

It shouldn't be a spoiler to anyone who was around for any of the first three films that John is a little more than he makes out, enter another Angel named Belial from the "other team", a woman named Allison who hears voices in her head and comes across a "magic book" that both teams must have and we have our ingredients in place.

Uprising takes all the major parties mentioned above to a place that holds dark secrets for Dani and Allison… ummm, and that's it really.

Please press eject and insert disc 2: Forsaken, which we hope you have rented because you kinda need to see it if you want to know how this ends.
Not Like the Others but Good
zzoaozz-994-6378796 March 2011
It's true this movie has basically nothing to do with the previous ones in the series, but it is still quite good.

The only ties to the previous Prophecy movies is a brief internet chat with someone who might be Joseph, the angel Simon, (we are supposing it is the same one who died in the first movie even though we saw his heart ripped out, and the black void where eyes should be. Of course there is the war between angels and the monkey references but in truth this could be an entirely separate film and might have done better if it were.

Kari Wuhrer was fantastic. The new Satan while perhaps less evil feeling than Vito's is more charismatic and comes across as sincere, the essence of the devil as the greatest lier of all. The acting was by and large good, the scenery lovely and striking, the story rich and engaging.

If you are looking for Gabriel and the other angels, they aren't here. Other than Simon, this one is about devils instead, but it really delivers in all the areas that matter. There is very minimal gore, quite a bit of bad language, no comedy to break the mood, and one or two disturbing scenes.

If you like movies such as The Omen, The Rite, Perfect Creatures, and The Exorcist give this one a chance.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly my favorite Prophecy movie yet
bigdawgsheet29 November 2006
I never thought I would enjoy any of the sequels as much the original but this one changed my mind. Even without Christopher Walken, I found myself involved in the complex story and its shifting moral ground. The locations in Eastern Europe were dark and brooding, just the right place for a movie that delves into the characters' haunted pasts. Sean Pertwee and John Light were excellent, as was Georgina Rylance as the possessed maid. If I had any problem at all with the story, it would be that I have seen the soul-shifting hook used before. And what a nice surprise to see Doug Bradley in a role that lets him show that he isn't just a terrific Pinhead. Apparently the Romanian dialogue was supposed to have subtitles and the studio left them off. It would have been nice to know what they were saying but somehow I feel I understood them anyway.
Really good movie
toronaga1 October 2005
We rented this one expecting it to be something to laugh at. I was taken completely by surprise instead. I have not seen any of the Prophecy movies before this and thoroughly enjoyed it. The script was very well done. The actors all did their jobs quite well, especially John Light. (Possible spoiler) I was really taken aback when he revealed who he actually was, the misdirection implied in the movie led you to think he was something else. What's the deal here - when are sequels anything but bad? Somehow a group of good filmmakers and actors got involved instead and made a very good movie! Should've been released to the theatres. Check this one out folks.
Movie was pretty good.
vxvbradvxv5 June 2005
I'm not one for you know the 4th movie of some movies. (Look at Leperchaun - Heh Leperchaun: In Da Hood 2....Are you serious?) But anyways this movie was actually pretty good. I work at blockbuster and took this home and watched it and was expecting to turn it off and return it to work to grab Seed of Chucky...but it was pretty good. The plot is kinda basic but kinda nice. The acting is alright to. And it is alittle different cause your working with a "Demonic Angel" that changes forms by coming in contact with someone. Anywho deserves a 8/10 for a Part 4 to a great Series. If you've seen the first 3 and enjoyed them then Id say you could really enjoy this one maybe as a finish to the series? Kinda disappointed there was not Christopher walken but hey there is a guy who reminded me of "whats-his-face?" from gladiator.
Why?
ryndvshah1 July 2005
First of all I really enjoyed the first 3 movies, yea it was drug out a long time and all but they were still pretty good. I see why it says that this movie can stand alone because it doesn't even follow the same direction the other movies had. For instance whats this crap that the "angels" have to live in human bodies thats a really big jump from the beginning of the series. It's like a body snatchers movie for crying out loud. But anyway the plot line itself didn't make much sense if you follow the first three. The first three dealt with the war between heaven and fallen "angels" this movie was about a war for a new hell. As a movie by itself it would be alright but it shouldn't be given the privilege of being in the original Prophecy movie series. It should've been given it's own name. Yes I'll probably buy the next one that comes out just to see where it goes and how it ends.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.