NCIS (TV Series 2003– ) Poster

(2003– )

Keeps getting better
wmelick8 June 2004
This has become my favorite regular show on the main networks. The stories are good enough to keep me watching and the character interplay can be quite amusing at times. Gibbs is great...watching the others react to him makes me chuckle. Abby is perfectly believable, despite the goth overtones...she is strong, smart, yet still sexy and feminine. I think Pauley Perette was the ideal actress to cast. The writing seems to continue at an even keel...if nothing else getting better as more episodes are shown. I think the producers have a hit here. I go back each week. Definitely worth your time...even if it means taping or tivo'ing it (which I do)...something to look forward to when I can't make 8:00 on Tuesday.
174 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time flies when you're enjoying yourself
shellemk23 September 2004
and each episode speeds along all too quickly! I LOVE this show…! What is there NOT to like? Rich story lines, strongly portrayed (and very human) personalities you can really warm to who play off each other brilliantly, all with their own distinctive quirks and – above all – the always wonderful Mark Harmon as main character! What more could you ask for in a show?! There's not a single character I'd change – none that irritate – they're all excellent. I consider it a bonus that it's the one thing on TV that all our family equally enjoy for different reasons. Even my father-in-law likes this and we normally have totally different viewing preferences! I was delighted when I heard that there was a second series imminent. Only problem is that living in England, who knows how long after it's shown in the US we'll get to see it! Fortunately it's worth the wait!
107 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This WAS a Great Show....PLEASE WAKE UP!
Movies__26 May 2021
I have watched it from the beginning and would many times rewatch the episode because I enjoyed the characters so very much. The replacements of the lead characters has kept the show going downhill. The replacement actors/characters for the 3 leads are flat and uninteresting. The dialogue is boring. Maria Bello was another loss. The addition of Mark Harmon's wife is the bottom of the barrel. The character and actor is flat and stiff. As for the character of Kasie...OMG she is obnoxious to the ninth degree. Instead of trying to replace Abby with someone weird, why not replace her with someone uptight and brilliant.

The character of Kasie.... Please Stop!!! I have to fast forward every time she is on screen. This not a Cartoon Show....right?

Why not bring back the MI6 agent Clayton Reed? Wouldn't be the first time a character came back from the dead. He was interesting and could open up all kinds of stories. Just a thought...How about some good writers???

I find myself ready to ignore this program and wish for a New Series to replace NCIS. SOON!
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easily one of the best shows on Television today, Suspenseful, Humorous and Riveting-Can't Miss TV!
JTBWRITER16 June 2004
Easily one of the best shows on television today, suspenseful, humorous and real-not always pleasant or formulaic-but real! Just when I think Bellesario has gone too far in the "lets screw up Jag" sweepstakes (ok-2 episodes this year were actually good-the rest-terrible!)-he redeems himself with a show that is riveting, timely and funny at the right times!

The casting, the writing, the overall look of the show is first class! Starting at the top with Mark Harmon, the sexiest man on TV-he also sets the tone with his right on portrayal of the most conflicted man on TV today! His obsession with Ari (the terrorist), his list of rules, then his tendency to think out of the box just adds to the spice and pace of this show. (Plus his constant dueling with DiNozzo-priceless!)

An added plus is the inter meshing of the cast-David McCallum-funny, urbane- so hot! His stories are hysterical, then his sad commentary on the life or death of their latest subject-just gives you pause. His diatribe on the terrorist and what he did to his assistant alone is Emmy award stuff-don't mess with Ducky ever again! Then we have the reason for Rule 12-Special Agent Catlin Todd-the writers don't always have a clue as to her portrayal but she always pulls it off (and that humor of hers-the end lines alone are great!) I have to disagree as to the chemistry with Gibbs/Kate-it's there all right-hopefully we get to see something come of it in Season 2! The actors portraying Abby and DiNozzo-Pauly Perrette and Michael Weatherly are hysterical, yet right on in their portrayals-especially when DiNozzo thinks with his hormones and not with his brain-then turns around and saves the day-this show is a keeper! I can hardly wait for season 2!
155 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the show
katesgram200016 March 2004
At first when my husband would watch this show I wasn't really paying much attention and I would see this goth girl in the lab and think "what on earth is THAT?!?!?!" Then, one night I sat and watched along with him and now I am totally hooked. Mark Harmon's character appears to be annoyed sometimes by the other characters actions etc. but you get the feeling he really likes his coworkers. I like David McCallum's character and the way they tease him about going on and on. I get the feeling he knows they really do like him but his stories just get to be too much for them and he understands. My favorite though is Pauley Perrette's character. She is just a lot of fun. I hope the show stays on a long time- Tuesday nights wouldn't be the same with out it.
162 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So sad a wonderful show is sinking
keithkrans-6550228 February 2019
1st Zeva leaves, then Tony and finally Abby. The cast that built the legend on NCIS has been reduced to a couple now and the new adds (except for Maria Bello) are not providing the intrigue and drama that was the previous NCIS. As a devoted fan I am slowly but surely finding the show becoming a non- watch instead of a must see. We used to schedule our lives to make sure we never missed an episode.
44 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The show WAS great.......NOW VERY LAME!!!
miller_jayme20 May 2018
As Ziva David, Tony Dinnozo, And Abby Have left the show, the show has become very lame and very uninteresting. Tony once said, "We need the Pa. Now I know what He was referring to.

All the PA's have left the show, and we are left with D- Characters. Basically kind of toward being a clear F in my opinion.

The TV Show has lost it's spark, which is very sad. When the show first aired it had a freshness to it and I really liked it a lot (Actually gave it 8/10 Stars) Now I would only give it 4/10 Stars.

We have decided not to continued to watch this in the following Season(s) to come.

I wish the Characters well in the future Season(s)
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
twylyght867 December 2004
When the show first started out it was a little shaky, but since then has grown into its own. The characters are believable, both annoying and enchanting, and the plots are wonderful. There's a depth and a comradeship that isn't often showed this well in television. It isn't forced or faked; it's entirely true to life and believable.

The underlying sexual tension between several of the characters is also intriguing and interesting to watch, the most obvious of these being the relationship between Tony and Kate, but there's also hints at Kate and Gibbs, McGee and Abby, and so on. It's a crime drama that's both serious and light-hearted, and a wonderful show for anyone who likes fascinating stories, good humor, and great character interaction.
106 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much better than its parent show
BlackJAC29 November 2003
Finally Bellisario got it right. Gibbs and his gang are first and foremost investigators, not hoity-toity staff officers who moonlight as stereotyped combat soldiers with thickly-laid-on patriotic dogma that would make Ward Carroll vomit with rage. At no time do they ever try to borrow an F-14 to go on some bombing raid over the international hot spot du semaine; they stick to their job descriptions the whole time. They also have personalities and eccentricities that make them a better ridealong than overstarched Harmless Rabbit and whatever babe he happens to be working with this season, such as Gibbs' coffee addiction, Ducky's intellectual ramblings, DiNozzo's attempts at being a cool womanizer, Abby's interesting blend of science nerd and goth grrrl, and Kate as the token vaguely normal neophyte thrown into the mix. Too bad this couldn't have been done with JAG in the first place.
125 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I used to love this show.
kirahailieanin22 January 2020
It went downhill after they killed Ziva.. then Anthony left.. But when they replaced Abby with a similar character named Kasie I really started to hate it... Gave it a 7 because I used to love it.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost its appeal
brandiericks13 March 2019
I've been a fan since the beginning and have watched every episode but with all the changes in the last year or two, the show has lost what made it great. The relationships between Tony and Kate and then Tony and Ziva added something special. Tony's and Abbey's personalities made it even better but now there's just nothing. They took away what made the show great and didn't add anything to make up for it. It also seems that Mark Harmon is tired of the show and it shows in his acting. He doesn't have the gusto he used to. Unfortunately , NCIS has gone downhill, become boring to watch, and I may not continue to do so.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The original cast made the show. They have gone now, time to say goodbye.
Sleeper-Cell26 August 2018
Tony Dinozzo (Michael Weatherly) was the character that really made this show come to life for me. He was interesting, a film buff and very unlike the typical gungho cop you get in shows like this.

When he left (and I know there were characters leaving before him) it left a huge gap that the new stable of characters just can't fill. In fact there have been a few newbies come in since he left and they are all so boring I cannot even think of their first names.

Now Abby has also left and so we really only have Jethro, Ducky and Probie left. Probie was always a supporting character a good straight man to Dinozzo. Jethro worked well with the original cast but now looks bored but happy to be raking in the cash. Ducky is still interesting but not on the show as often as he used to be.

And the others? Who cares.
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Getting worse & worse
dfeljde22 November 2018
Earlier seasons are very good, with a lot of strong, interesting characters, Todd, Ziva, Tony, Abby, Ducky, McGee, Gibbs, ... after so many main characters exited the show, they were replaced with extremely mediocre ones (Quinn, Sloane, Torres, or Jackson, etc.), the one replaced Abby was the worst. Don't bother watch the current season, it's simply garbage now.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cannot stand Abby's replacement.
bengswin118 May 2018
I knew she was coming as soon as I heard the character was leaving and Duckys assistant arrived. No thanks.

It is a shame they killed off MI6 officer, now Im wondering if he will be replaced.

I may just quit watching this now.
44 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still going strong
wmelick10 May 2005
I've written about this show before on IMDb --- but here I am months later in May 2005 and yet it still continues to be impressive. There have been a few shows that were "bleh" in the last season but the "SWAK" episode tonight really got a few great moments of emotion between the cast members. The writers (at least to me) were able to pull off the "suspended disbelief" and I got pulled into the moment as DiNozzo was about to kick the bucket. I sure hope they keep most of the cast in the next season, as they seem to play off each other brilliantly. The only cast member I could see losing (according to the season finale preview, they lose an NCIS agent) is McGee. He's great and believable for his role, but any of the others lost as regulars on the show would break down the core character interplay. The McGee character could be replaced...but the others would be much more difficult. But then again I guess this is all decided and in the can...we'll find out on May 24th. My comments to other viewers that have commented on the reality of the series --- yeah, it's not the real life NCIS at all. But real life would be mind-numbingly boring to fit in 60 minute TV show. You'd need the constant buzz of fluorescent lights in the background combined with pages and pages of forms being typed into the computer --- mostly about drug abuses by young 18 year olds. This is TV drama and a fabricated fiction. I appreciate the nod Bellesario gives to NCIS and like the show for the entertainment it is. Real life NCIS isn't a fun job, but we get an hour on Tuesday night to pretend it is.
57 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The talent is fading
fjmetro20 March 2019
Not much left in the way of talent - The Tim character is now flat and uninspired- the Abbey replacement is more a cartoon character- and the scripts are uninspired- too bad - no longer interested in NCIS.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This needs to be shut down!
Hassel5126 October 2018
Don't get me wrong. I loved the seasons with Ziva, Tony and McGee. When Ziva quit, something happened, when Tony quit, it was over! I stopped watching the series short time after that. For some reason I watched a few episodes of season 15. This serial has become so lame, it is really unbelievable. From a franchise wich used to be fun, action and drama, we now just see lame attempts of a script trying to make people cry, laughing my ass off. The actors are so unconvincing and having actors crying on screen or looking like they are going to cry any minute doesn't make it more watchable, it is just annoying and painfull to watch, what a waste of time and resources. Still the best is putting Gibbs next to a child and have him smile, it's so creepy! Gibbs I think you made enough of money, stop it and invest in another project, not involving children or ctying actors, it is defenitly not your thing.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Went downhill after season 13!
H7869 April 2021
The show was fun to watch between seasons 1-13. The cast was kept untouched (apart from the great addition of Palmer). Ziva was also a great replacement for Caitlin after season 2, and Bishop also did ok replacing Ziva. The show kept a constant 8/10 rating between the first 13 seasons. Now I'm half way through season 14 and I can't continue watching it. The replacement cast simply didn't cut it for me. Also, Ducky's appearance has drastically reduced in season 14 (so far).

Once Anthony DiNozzo left at the end of season 13, they tried replacing him with Quinn and Torres. Unfortunately, they've dulled the show down heavily. If it wasn't for Gibbs, the show would've come to an end after season 13.

My ratings would be: 8/10 for seasons 1-13 5/10 for season 14 (can't continue watching any further, bored of it now) Overall rating 7/10

If I continued watching it, my overall review would probably drop down to 6/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Declining series
jax71316 June 2018
Just finished binge watching Season 14 and I have watched this show since the beginning. Maybe the producers or whomever are trying to set a record for the length of the series, but there is little other reason for this show to continue. The exit of vital characters like Ziva & DiNozzo has created a downward slide into mis-casting key roles and creating dubious plots. The one bright spot in casting is Reeves, the MI6 transplant - both the actor and the character bring a breath of fresh air to the otherwise dowdy team. The loss of Vance's wife and Ziva's father was a preposterous plot twist. The addition of Quinn and Torres to fill the gaps in the NCIS team is weak and failing. Quinn has nothing to do and Torres doesn't belong there. Neither character is interesting nor entertaining in any way. Maybe, like Reeves, the producers should have considered another foreign import, French or Swedish?, to add some dimension. Bishop is marginally effective as an analyst, but is not believable as a field agent. It would have been better to keep her married and have her be the nerdy info bank who gathers and sorts backgrounds & personality profiles, even if it were a smaller role. That kind of role would be a fair replacement for the departing Abby, and Bishop's tricky relationship with her NSA lawyer-husband would have brought new fodder to episodes. And why do we have to be subjected to Jimmy Palmer's buffoonery in every episode, said buffoon scenes becoming longer with each passing season? I'm also now very tired of Franks showing up in a delusion to drive a story. Kind of pathetic. There is lots more I could say but basically it's time for this series to go out with some dignity left. I know the show has been slated for a 16th season but I can't imagine it getting any better if it stays on the same path.
28 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great New Series on TV this season+
mimackenzie197219 January 2004
This is a great series to watch. I have been hooked on this show since the beginning because I love watching mysteries and crime like CSI and CSI Miami. Harmon's so sexy in this role and McCallum is always a joy to watch as Ducky especially when he's on the role over various anthropology lectures which to my amusement everyone on that shows roll up their eyeballs.
65 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Navy's Finest Are Top-Notch
marcus_stokes20004 September 2006
*SPOILERS NCIS* The NCIS (Navy Criminal Investigative Service) is a service that investigates on any kind of crime, from barroom brawls to international terrorism, that involves men and women from the Navy or Marine Corps.

The team is formed by: Leroy Jethro Gibbs (the second B stays for Bastard) (Mark Harmon), the moody, intuitive head investigator; he likes his coffee very strong, his women with red hair, and his investigations thorough. It is rare to get a compliment for him; when you get one, don't ask why. He is very loyal, and actually cares for his team, but has problems with women (evidence of this being three failed weddings).

Anthony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly), Gibbs' 2IC; a smartmouth, player to the soul and proud of it, who masks his quick mind and powerful intuition with a happy-go-lucky (and sometimes obnoxious) attitude. Sometimes he can behave in quite the juvenile way, and when he is, a good headslap by Gibbs will help him put things straight (this two have also what could possibly be the strongest homosexual subtext - more of an almost-text - in TV History). He enjoys to torment someone, usually the newest element of the team. Dearly departed Special Agent Kate Todd (more later) and Special Agent Tim McGee (more later) have suffered the brunt of that in various occasions. Comes from money, but doesn't get an allowance because if he did, he wouldn't work, and it seems there is bad blood between him and his family. He has a deep love of movies and TV Shows (one of his favorites is 'Ozzy And Harriet'), and referred to movie-acquired knowledge various times.

Kate Todd (Sasha Alexander), killed in the Season 2 Finale, who came from Secret Service, and made a point of bringing it up whenever the occasion presented itself, and came off as quite the uptight girl; all in all, the weakest character in the show, though her witty 'Hepburn-Tracy' rapid-fire dialogues with DiNozzo were great, and she had with him the strongest hetero almost-text this side of Gil Grissom and Catherine Willows.

Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette) a perky Goth (not as oxymorous as it sounds) who has an imprecise number of tattoos on her body and is the greatest at her job. She loves to hear techno or hard rock music (like Android Lust) played at a very loud volume while working. She is the only person in the team Gibbs actually shows affection for, and she is currently dating Special Agent Tim McGee (more later).

Tim McGee (Sean Murray), who joined the team in the second season after making various guest-appearances throughout the first season. Tim is a computer whiz, but is at a loss when it comes to social life; has gotten a tattoo on his butt to impress Sciuto - and it worked. Has been mercilessly teased by DiNozzo when he first joined the team, getting the absolutely-not-flattering nickname 'Probie' ('Pivello' ('Greenhorn') in the Italian Version). He has proved his valor, though, time and time again.

And last but not least, Donald 'Ducky' Mallard (David McCallum), the ME, who has two curious habits; one, to talk to the corpses he is going to autopsy, and the other, to go off on tales that are very loosely related to the case in question. He likes the music Abby plays, but not distorted by speakers, lives with his mother, who, wearing only Chanel N°5 when she goes to bed, hosts very awkward slumber parties and has various dogs, he is the one who has worked the longest with Gibbs and looked like 'Ilya Kuryakin' when he was younger.

This is the team (I'm not talking about Ziva and Madame Director because I have yet to see Season 3), and my suggestion is to watch them in action, every Tuesday, 8/7 central, on CBS.

You won't be disappointed.

NCIS: 9/10.
29 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
babel_on_54 March 2013
(cue The Cranberries song "Disappointment) The first episode I saw of NCIS was the one where the great (now late) Charles Durning played the Medal of Honor recipient, and I thought, "wow, this is really good." So my wife picked up the first 3 season on DVD at a garage sale (FIRST WARNING!) so I sat down to watch.

Wait a minute, I thought, this isn't NCIS, the thoughtful touching program I watched a few weeks ago. It was more like 90210 or "Welcome Back, Kotter" with the juvenile characters than a professional organization like SVU or CSI like I was used to watching.

I'm not getting into details; this show is now 11 years old and well known. What I am amazed at is how people on the board go on and on about the same negative things that I picked up on as early as the first season and were glaring by the end of the third. I suppose they keep on with the series for the same reason you go on with a wife or husband you've been married to for 20 years: You remember when it was good and pray that somehow life (the show) will get back to that.

One thing more. I really wanted to like this show, really. I like cop shows, I like tight teams and good stories. IMO this is nothing more than a cop-based soap opera featuring the saga of Mossadu Barbie and Jethro Bodine... I mean Gibbs. I come back every now and again hoping it's better, but it's been a waste of my time. 6*** for the cast, 1* for everything else about it.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Happy with this season's cast changes!
mamaheel511 October 2016
I am very disappointed with this season's cast changes. I have been a loyal fan of NCIS from the very beginning. I've always enjoyed the show and thought the writing was great and the characters were believable. But Jennifer Esposito has all but ruined the show for me. I find her to be rude, arrogant, obtrusive and obnoxious. She definitely Does Not fit in with the team! Wilmer Valderrama may eventually fit in, once he learns that he is there to work, not to flirt with every skirt on the show and search for apartments while he is supposed to be working a crime scene! Also, the writing has taken a decided turn for the worse - the character's parts are all over the place, and it seems they have no idea what they are doing with Jimmy Palmer this season. The show used to be balanced, told a good story, and treated all of the characters well. Now it seems they have lost their way caring more about jumping on the politically correct, diversity, and inclusive bandwagon than with creating the award winning show they have had for all these years. Very sad to see such a great show fall apart like this :-(
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring Back Dinnozo
hcalbina23 November 2020
I miss when we have a Marine Gibbs,Tony,McGee,Kate & Ziva.Bishop is ok but not as good as Kate or Ziva.When Tony left it was a massive loss for the show,Gibbs may be the leading role,but Tony was the Center of the show.Its hurt to see Gibbs and McGee around a bunch of Cartoon.Please someone shoot that undercover macho or kick to NCIS LA where they are good at blowing up car, shooting people,he does not belong here.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Used to be 10 stars but has gone WAY down hill after season 13
dragondreamers25 October 2019
This show used to be in my top 5 must not miss shows every week until season 14. I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they forced Bishop & Kasie on us. Those 2 have ruined the show for me. I can tolerate the other 2 newbies, Torres & Sloane, to a point, but they too aren't the best fit either. It was great to bring back Ziva this season as an attempt to keep us interested, but it's a little too late because the damage has already been done the last few seasons. I can no longer watch without cringing every time Bishop & Kasie are on the screen because they just don't belong on this show. So many other loyal fans have said the same things & it amazes me they haven't replaced these horrible characters yet, but maybe the plan is to end the show, so they figure why bother writing in better characters. Anyway, I just want to say how much I truly enjoyed every season up to 13. I put up with most of season 14 only because I love Jennifer Esposito & wanted to see where that was going, but the minute they forced that out of nowhere relationship Bishop had onto us & then had her go all crazy & murder that guy it made me sick to my stomach to watch after that. I actually forced myself to keep watching just because I kept thinking things would change & that maybe Bishop would get fired for what she did or get demoted, since that's what it seemed was going to happen, except nothing happened. I guess the writers just gave up trying after that. I finally stopped watching it weekly after Kasie joined the team, though because she's the absolute worst fit of any character that's ever been on the show & I just couldn't stomach watching it after that. Last month I went back to try & catch up before this new season started by trying to skip through the parts when she came on & parts where it was just Bishop, too, but it's just not worth the trouble, so I am officially done watching for good now. It's such a shame how they made it so many seasons picking good characters that fit well with each other & with Gibbs, but then they just stopped trying after season 13. Thanks for 13 great seasons at least.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.