Robots (2005) Poster

(2005)

Good Animated Film!
g-bodyl12 October 2010
I'll admit that I did not want to see this. I thought the trailers were utter crap. I mean I saw too many robot movies when this first came out. I thought I would only stick with I, Robot, but I was forced to see this. I was pleasantly surprised how good this was, so I bought the DVD.

This is about a robot named Rodney Coperbottom. He decides to go to the city to show off this invention to the famous Mr. Bigwald. Unfortunately, Bigwald is out of business and in order to get to him, he must face some evil corporate execs.

This film featured a magnificent voice cast noticeably Robin Williams. I could recognize his voice in about anything, even in Happy Feet.

The animation is good, nothing special. This is a good film to have the kids watch. I rate this film 8/10.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tons Of Gags & A Good Message
ccthemovieman-125 January 2006
Animated movies are usually pretty good but nothing that great to me. However, this one is a "keeper." It gets high marks for all the jokes in here, lots of which are adult-style but not sleazy or filled with sexual innuendos, although there are a few of those, enough to make this PG, not G. However, the vast amount of clever lines is the main attraction here.

Actually, the jokes come so hard and fast, it's hard to keep up with all of them. The visuals aren't gorgeous, as many modern-day animated films have become, but they are interesting. Not only is there a ton of gags to hear, but there are to see, too. You almost have to stop it frame-by-frame to see all the funny stuff penciled in the artwork.

The story couldn't be simpler but it manages you keep your attention and doesn't overstay it's welcome, although I think animated films are more effective it they don't go over 80 minutes. This one is closer to 90.

There is a good message in here, too. Maybe I'm mistaken but what I heard was the idea that just because people might be old, decaying and not as productive for society, it doesn't mean you have to discard them. Life has value and is precious from conception to dying of old age. Amen to that!
58 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Planet of the Robots
Chrysanthepop7 December 2007
'Robots' is an entertaining animated film that is both funny and delightful. The animation is wonderful and has its own style. Even though it's not exactly of the Pixar quality, that actually works for the film especially with the motions. Colour has also been impressively used. The robot world is spectacular to watch. The designing is brilliant e.g. the train station and robot city.

It includes a huge impressive ensemble of voice actors (sadly most of the cast is wasted) but not all the actors were efficiently used and many suffer due to poor character development. Ewan McGregor and Robin Williams have most of the lines and they do reasonably well.

The film has a soul but the screenplay doesn't stick to the main plot. There are several plot holes and perhaps (as fun as they are) too many characters that lack development. In spite of its flaws, it's very much watchable, especially with the family. It is visually stunning and there are many funny moments, but there's surely something missing. You don't take anything away with you after the film's finished.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
*much* better than I was led to believe
timmyp318 April 2006
I don't think that (with the notable exception of one thread here on IMDb) this movie gets enough credit. The animation was darn good, and the humor had me laughing an awful lot. As a comedy this certainly hit the spot. I think if you enjoyed Ice Age, you could certainly find yourself enjoying this film as well.

Sure, as some have pointed out the "characters weren't really developed" and "there were a lot of characters involved". *shrug* Who cares? I didn't sit down to watch this expecting to have a well-written Shakespeare play acted out before me. I sat down expecting to enjoy myself, laugh, and forget about the world around me (for the time being, at least). This movie gets a check in all three columns.
48 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupendous visuals only barely make up for a forgettable story and characters
zetes14 March 2005
The first 2005 film I've seen, and, really, it's the only one released so far this year that I have had even the littlest desire to see at the theater. It was worth seeing, but it's forgettable. The visuals are absolutely eye-popping. The film's best sequence is a Rube Goldberg-esque public transportation system across town. I think if that had gone on for 90 minutes, we would have had some kind of masterpiece on our hands. Instead, we get a dull story of a group of nearly outmoded robots rebelling against an evil company that is no longer building spare parts. The head of that company used to be all for the common folk, but he's disappeared and left a despot in his place. The underground area, where they melt scrap, is really cool, and reminded me of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Madame Gasket, who rules this part of the city, was the most interestingly designed character. Robin Williams is very annoying, but, to his credit, he is playing a character here, not just himself. I wasn't thinking "Man, is Robin Williams annoying," but rather, "Man, that character Robin Williams is playing is annoying." I doubt that could be taken as much of a compliment, though. All of the other main characters are especially forgettable, especially Halle Berry's character, who is supposedly the female lead. I think most of the audiences wanted the protagonist to end up with the second female lead, who is a tad more interesting. And I think the filmmakers realized this, too, because the hero only barely ends up with Berry at the end. The movie is also in need of laughs. I chuckled a bit, but that was all. The funniest moment is the robot who does the robot dance. As much as I can complain, though, I would still highly recommend (renting) it for the visuals alone.
63 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot rings as hollow as the robots themselves
AlsExGal5 February 2010
Robots is a pretty good film that will probably keep your kids occupied and entertained, at least the first time they watch it. It's a fairly entertaining light family film with some good moments and just enough comedy to hold your attention, even if much of that comedy involves Robin Williams doing jokes that seem like hold-over material from the TV show "Mork & Mindy". But then your kids aren't old enough to know what that show is, so they won't be aware of the recycling.

What this film really did for me was make me appreciate Pixar more. Unlike the maker of Robots and other high-tech CGI films, Pixar starts out with a solid story idea and then develops the CGI and the gags to support that idea. Technology has gotten to the point where dazzling effects are easier to do and cheaper than ever and filmmakers are forgetting that audiences ultimately want to see an interesting story, not a dog-and-pony show of the latest in graphics effects with a storyline that has the complexity of a 1930's serial thrown in to hold it all together. So, if you have small children, it might be worthwhile. If you are an adult, however, I think you'll be somewhat bored.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chase Your Dreams to Make Them Come True
claudio_carvalho30 September 2005
In a world of robots, the young Rodney decides to move to the metropolis of Robot City, to meet the powerful inventor and his idol Bigweld, trying to get a position in his corporation. However, the new president Ratchet manages the company for profit with new parts only, leaving the old robots fated to become scrap in the mill of Ratchet's mother. Rodney, with the support of his old robots friends, convinces Bigweld to fight for his position back.

"Robots" is a funny and very creative adventure with many good messages. The first one certainly is that everybody must chase the dreams to make them come true. There is a great criticism to the power and ambition of great corporations, oriented to huge profits without giving any importance to the majority of consumers. The revolutionary power of ordinary people together, fighting for their rights, is also explicitly showed in this animation. There are many funny situations in this great entertainment for the whole family. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Robôs" ("Robots")
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb! Classic Robin Williams!
FrancesTheWHORE13 March 2005
Sure, this is mostly a kids movie but as you have probably read many times, there is enough humor aimed at the adults to keep them entertained while with the kids. This is definitely good for all ages.

Ewan McGregor stars as Rodney Copperbottom but it is clearly Robin Williams who steals the movie as Fender. He clearly overshadows McGregor, Halle Berry, Amanda Bynes, Mel Brooks, Greg Kinnear and all others involved. Of course, this is really about the animation. Everything about Robots is rendered exquisitely. The time and effort that must have went into making this movie is astonishing.

I have read a few comments and reviews concerning Williams being annoying but that is absolutely 100% UNTRUE! I thoroughly enjoyed William's performance, which is saying something considering it is only his voice. Robot's marketing of William's character was not misleading. It is exactly as seen in the trailers. If you thought it was annoying, then why see it? Some people need to smarten up I suppose.

Don't believe the haters here. Most only want to go against the grain. If you did not enjoy Williams' performance in the trailer, then please don't be disappointed when you see the same thing in the movie. I can honestly say that this is a great movie-going experience for everybody.
116 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technically Amazing, laugh-out-loud funny in other parts
Bartmon11 March 2005
Robots is probably the most technically amazing computer-animated movie I've ever seen. When you stack it up against a movie like the original Toy Story, it's astounding how far they've come in about 10 years. There is a scene were a drum of tiny ballbearings falls over, and each ballbearing is rendered perfectly. Amazing.

The voice acting in Robots is just fine, with the ensemble cast providing a nice mix of auditory delights(although I saw Jim Broadbent's (the dad in Bridget Jones') name in the credits and was unable to identify him in the movie. Greg Kinnear did a fine job and Ewan MacGregor was also decent. The biggest question mark was Robin Williams. Before the movie I found myself wondering how he could top the 'Genie' performance in Aladdin. The answer is he doesn't, but his character is responsible for a few VERY funny bits and I think he pulled it off well.

Now humor in the movie... It was clear to me that at least 80% of the adults in the audience weren't getting many of the references. If you are old enough/smart enough to catch these, they are hilarious. My favorite being when Rodney is repairing Bigweld's head and Bigweld is singing 'Daisy' very slowly. Priceless.

All in all a great movie, and I also suspect this movie will improve with subsequent viewings. Where a Shark's Tale just becomes tiresome after one viewing, I am looking forward to viewing this movie again.

Lastly, my 6 year-old son LOVED the movie. We saw it in IMAX and it completely blew him away.
76 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original and visually stunning!
Smells_Like_Cheese1 September 2007
Yesterday I was shopping at Target and they had a bunch of movies for seven fifty, Robots was one of them. I never saw the movie before, but I figured it's just a couple more bucks then if I rented it, so I bought it and watched it last night. I have to say that I'm glad I bought it because I really enjoyed it, this was a fun animated movie that got over looked in 2005. It had great actors for the voices, Mel Brooks couldn't have been a more perfect choice, the whole look of the movie is absolutely cool to look at, and the story was extremely original. This is a great film to watch for yourself or with the family.

Rodney is a common robot with his poor parents, but he has big city dreams to meet Bigweld, the biggest robot of all time, he is the inventor who makes sure that every robot is taken care of. Rodney goes to the big city to meet Bigweld and become an inventor himself, but ends up meeting several robots who are nobody's including Fender, his new best friend. They discover that an evil robot who has taken over Bigweld's factory is planning on destroying all the old bots who can't afford to upgrade, so pretty much that's the whole town. But Rodney and his friends are dedicated to making sure that everyone can be safe as an old bot.

Robots is a very imaginative movie with a very creative story and look. I was really impressed with this movie and would highly recommend it. It has very funny moments for both the kids and the adults, so it works for a family movie very well. Robin Williams did a terrific job as Vender, he was just a great addition and brought fun comedic relief. But the whole cast sounded like they had a lot of fun with this movie. This is a fun film to watch and I think anyone could enjoy it, so grab the popcorn, because you're gonna have fun.

4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great animated film, adults will enjoy this one
robbarks5 March 2005
I attended an advance screening for this film with my daughter and her friend (both 3). They enjoyed it, but I think older kids will be much more into it. There was also a lot of humor that will be appreciated by adults. I have seen all the computer animated films of recent years(Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Nemo, etc.) and I feel this one ranks up there with the best. This movie is visually stunning. The robot world created for this movie is unbelievable. There are some pinball like sequences that I found fascinating (Rube Goldbergesque for the older folks). This movie is quite funny. I am usually not a big Robin Williams fan, I find that he can be too in your face and distracting. That really was not the case in this film. The plot of Robots was good, but I did not walk out of the theater talking about the story lines. It was all about the visuals.
105 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was there a story here?
cedric_owl14 March 2005
I left this film feeling high. Not because I literally ingested anything before arriving at the theatre, but because the movie provided that familiar feeling of one's brain being reduced to a muddled receptor for bright colors and funny noises.

So about the story: boy robot leaves his home for the big-city, must defeat evil robot trying to control the robot world. During this epic quest he encounters a series of Disney-ish archetypes, including: wacky robot sidekick (voiced by Robin Williams, natch), bland robot love interest (Halle Berry, spending all of maybe three hours in the recording studio), and a spunky tomboy robot (voiced by some unmemorable tween star).

The storyline, such as it is, could probably fill a single half-hour slot on Nickelodeon. There are a few funny bits of dialogue (provided by off-Broadway scribe David Lindsay Abaire), but mostly the script is just the filler before the next elaborate visual sequence dreamed up by the animators.

And don't get me wrong: those visual sequences are pretty cool. I can't quite decide which is more impressive: the hyperkinetic ride through the immaculately detailed robot city or a complicated sequence involving thousands of dominoes. The art department clearly put a mind-boggling amount of effort into creating a fully realized world.

But that, unfortunately, is all there is. An awesomely rendered environment with nothing in the foreground. Many of the characters, particularly the protagonist, feel like little more than rough outlines. The relationships between characters feel like tacked-on afterthoughts. This is compounded by the most lackluster and non-distinctive voice work I've ever heard from major movie stars (Ewan McGregor and Halle Berry sound so bored, I would have preferred they hire interns from the accounting department).

I recommend this film slightly, simply because of the stunning visuals. But otherwise, with the success of truly subversive CGI films like The Incredibles and Shrek, Robots just doesn't cut it.
59 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Price of Automation!
Hitchcoc11 January 2017
I find it hard to be too hard on animated films. There is generally a creative idea that springs into action and the results are what then fits the mold. It's a "what if" thing. Obviously, many non-animated films also start with this premise, but here we can create whatever visual world we want. The sky's the limit. Here, we have a world of robots, who lead lives like humans, but who have different shapes and sizes and functions. They integrate into this world and do their thing. Some have hopes and dreams. Rodney Copperbottom is a dreamer and an inventor. He wants his inventions to be noticed, so he packs his things and heads off to find his hero, Mr. Bigweld, who holds the future of enterprising robots in his hands (are they really hands?). He arrives, but the big boss is nowhere to be found. He engages the help of a collection of outcast robots, one voiced by the late Robin Williams, to go on a quest for information. This is a nice movie with no great pretensions.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lackluster and forgettable
backseat-225 March 2005
Movie lovers who appreciate computer animated films find that only about half are worthwhile. Things that make any film good are as applicable to animated (computer or traditional) movies as they are to live action. These include having a compelling story, a good script, good performances and good visuals.

Having said this, there is a reason why the Pixar animated features have been consistently excellent and memorable. The reason is that they work very hard at refining each and every one of these elements until they have achieved excellence across the board. I understand that they routinely work plot and script for a couple of years before starting the animation. Once animation starts, they work the fine details that make for great animation. They know, and use, all of the old tricks, then invent new ones too.

Now, what is right with a movie like Robots? Well, is has a good concept. What is wrong with Robots? Just about everything else.

The film makers have taken a cute idea and almost totally failed to make it interesting at either the story or script level. Then, they have done a decent but largely uninspired job at the actual animation. People who know what to look for will see lots of fairly basic things, learned back with the better Disney and Warner Brothers animated films, that were apparently forgotten by the makers of Robots. Yes, there are a few nice touches, like the Rube Goldberg transportation system, but this does not carry the movie and is actually not very well animated. One glaring thing I noticed is that when characters or objects move fast, they disappear. This is because the rate of movement is too fast given the frame rate of the animation. Disney and Chuck Jones (et al) and Pixar have learned tricks to compensate for this. Not so the makers of Robots.

The next thing that many will notice is that Robots (like Shark Tale) is sold primarily on the strength of the voice talent, all actors who have been in lots of things recently and will appeal, on name recognition alone, to viewers. Ever notice that most voices in Pixar films are done by people you never heard about, or even by the animators themselves, or their family members? Even Robin Williams cannot make a single word of Robots interesting or entertaining.

I sort of enjoyed Robots, but before I had walked out of the theater door I had forgotten half of what was in the movie, and had no desire to recommend it to anyone else, or to buy a DVD.

Not a good kid's movie, and not a good adult movie. Just a piece of forgettable fluff.
34 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Certainly good – it just lacks that little something 'extra'
Flagrant-Baronessa27 September 2006
While Disney and its child Pixar Studios focus on family morals and heartfelt messages in their films (Finding Nemo) and Dreamworks focus on meticulous animation (Shrek I & II), Blue Skye Studios (Ice Age) shifts their focus onto humor – big doses of humor. There is a kind of rewarding simplicity in an approach like that, and it translates well in its animated features, Ice Age most of all. In their most recent installment Robots (2005), some of the humour is lost and instead replaced by wide-ranging gallery of big shot actors like Mel Brooks, Robin Williams, Ewan McGregor, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent and Drew Carey to name a few. The result is a good, albeit forgettable film.

We follow Rodney Copperbottom (voiced by Ewan McGregor) – a young, idealist robot – who migrates to big Robot City in hopes to become an inventor to save his father from getting scrapped. When he reaches the city, he is met by a new management of the manufacture company in town that has stopped making spare parts, focusing on costly "upgrades", relegating the average bot like Rodney's father to reduced scrap at the chop-factory. Rodney decides to help.

Plot outline aside, it is clear from the detailed setting of the film that Blue Skye has done something really cool here – they have created a mechanical world solely of robots and suffice to say that it sucks you in. It indulges in the meticulous mechanism that this world offers – such as Robots doing the Robot-dance (one of the most strikingly hilarious moments in the film), all the while commenting on the materialism of our own world through the manufacture factory device. It's about consumerism and companies constantly on the edge, pushing for new material concept and leaving 'dated' material behind, thereby pinning the people (or robots) somewhere in between and wondering in which direction to go.

What else is commendable is that Robots rarely suffers the pitfalls of sentimental cheese á la Disney/Pixar studios when the characters have their heartfelt moments. There are in fact very few of these because the film is simply too busy navigating the fun world of robots, swooping fast-paced down to extreme technological devices and chase-scenes such as the roller-coaster ride that takes Rodney to Robot City. It's having fun, and it makes no pretense about it. The animation greatly distinguishes itself from Dreamworks where it's fluent, sleek and beautiful (Shrek I & II) – here it is rusty, awkward and mechanical and it all fits perfectly.

However, what it most enjoyable about the film is not its environment or animation, but its surprising number of GOOD sing-and-dance numbers. Who would have thought that Robin Williams (whose comedic presence comes through his character) spoofing a Britney Spears song could be so funny? Other than Britney, the film is evenly peppered with pop-cultures references. The beloved dodo bird from Ice Age gets a blatant homage at one point. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones at another point, when Fender (Robin Williams) does his best C-3PO impression at a hellish chop-factory similar to the one in the Star Wars movie ("Machines making machines."). In this way, there is certainly a lot that adults can enjoy and laugh at, leaving the fart jokes for the kids.

I am pressed to find something that I DIDN'T like about the film. Ultimately, it just does not come close to the comedic brilliance of Ice Age. It lacks the heart of Disney. It lacks the beautiful animation of Dreamworks. So the very things that made it a good film in the first place also makes it forgettable.

7 out of 10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was a lot better than expected!
vithiet2 April 2022
I remember back when it came out the less than glorious reviews kept me from watching it. For sure it's not on par with any Pixar movie, especially the story, but I found it quite entertaining and even had a few good laughs along the way. Kids will like it and adults can enjoy it too; I regret not watching it sooner. Also RIP Robin Williams...
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An under-seen gem that shines despite a formulaic story
brchthethird13 November 2014
While the story isn't particularly original or substantial, ROBOTS is a fun film for kids that has plenty of visual creativity. While a plot synopsis probably isn't necessary, here goes. Rodney is an aspiring robot inventor who moves to the big city to make his dreams come true, but along the way he has to deal with an evil corporate tyrant who threatens to turn old robots into scrap metal. First of all, I have to say this movie has one of the best voice casts ever assembled. Ewan McGregor plays the main character Rodney Copperbottom, and is joined by Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear, Robin Williams and Mel Brooks, to name a few. Every single actor brought their character to life vibrantly and with humor. Of course, with an animated movie you can't not discuss the visual elements. Blue Sky Studios (Ice Age and Rio) did an awesome job bringing this robot world to life. It kind of reminded me a little of steampunk, but more colorful and sanitized for children. There's also a number of stunningly creative sequences which are Rube Goldberg-esque in their complexity. The humor is also worthy of mention, because there's plenty of jokes that the kids will get, and some for the parents as well. There's even some hilarious usage of (then-current) pop music, and a couple other original songs. When it's all said and done, this movie isn't really the most original in terms of plot, but there are positive messages for kids and enough visual style to spare.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, exciting and very funny.
Mightyzebra17 September 2008
For me, the thing that pretty much makes this CGI film is Robin Williams voicing a robot called Fender and Wonderbot. These two characters engaged me the whole way, as they are funny, (in the case of Fender), cute (in the case of Wonderbot) and interesting. The rest of the film is perfectly all right, in between brilliant and mediocre. The animation, for me, is probably the third best part of the film, especially the CGI backgrounds with the immense detail. Of course, I liked everything else about this film, apart from the fact that there was quite a deal of evil in this film and some parts of the film are a little bit cliché.

In this film set in a robot world with robot characters, a young robot called Rodney Copperbottom stars as the main character and he wants to be an inventor, so he can show his invention/s to a famous robot called Bigweld, who appears on the TV. When Rodney is old enough to go to Robot City to show Bigweld his invention, he sets off, with his invention, Wonderbot. Rodney finds pleasant and unpleasant surprises in Robot City and an adventure begins...

Overall, this is worth a watch for children aged around 7 and above and for anyone else who enjoys good animated films. Enjoy "Robots"! :-)

7 and a half out of ten.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robot City: Impressive to look at... not so much to live in...
misterembryo13 March 2005
"Robots" is the latest computer animated feature film from the creators of Ice Age. Like many films of the same genre, "Robots" offers a new artistic style and a large cast of voice talents, all of which would make pretty entertaining guests on any episode of Saturday Night Live... However "Robots" is more of a sight to see than a movie-going experience to fully enjoy.

Rodney (Ewen McGregor, Big Fish)is a robot born (or built rather) to become an inventor. Just like his idol Big Weld (Mel Brooks) encourages, Rodney believes anyone can shine no matter what you're made of. This credo is put to the ultimate test when Rodney leaves home to Robot City in hopes to get employed in Big Weld's big corporation as an inventor. Rodney learns the hard way how tough Robot City can be for the average robot... especially under new management where management entails getting rid of outdated robots and reducing them to scrap metal. With the help of a rusty robot crew including Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes, Rodney will go on an adventure to turn Robot City into the dream he's always imagined it to be.

As you can tell, "Robots" is a movie with heart, what do you expect for a movie targeted for a family audience. It also had some funny moments, and, as expected, were mostly contributed to Robin's robot character. There were also little details that achieved good laughs... Robot City wouldn't be complete without a robot doing the robot. Again the art in "Robots" also deserves credit using darker color schemes which allowed for a better feel for the robot world. The design of the city was also impressive: intricate modes of transportation, the ability to carry a conversation with a traffic light, and a walking mailbox that knows you by name...

However its kind of like a new President addressing the United States... he may look nice, brand new suit with hair combed nicely, and he may have a good message. But the message is only as good as its delivery. This is probably a bad analogy, but if "Robots" and "Monsters, Inc" ran for president it would be a landslide victory for the Pixar party.

I compare the two movies with good reason. Both movies offer completely new worlds: a robot world and a monster world. Both movies feature major cities that rely its existence heavily on the production of a major corporation, Big Weld for Robot City and Monsters, Inc. for Monstropolis. There's just one major difference: Monstropolis makes sense and Robot City doesn't.

You might wonder why should it make sense, it's fake? Any Joe Schmoe from the street tripping on acid can make a movie about some make-believe world, but its an even heavier task to make a world where things not only make sense, but are also necessary for the world to be plausible. Monstropolis works: both the city itself as well as the things that went on in the made up city. With Robot City there are too many questions: Why?! How?! What the hell was that for?! Who?! I refer my Who question to Halle Berry's character who is top-billed and forced to be integral to the plot, yet only has about 4-5 lines throughout the whole movie.

I give it a 4 out of 10 because I'm midway with this movie. It looked cool but it wasn't. Like a beautiful girl with no personality. It can be really funny, but other times it tries a bit hard. What Robots lacked was ironically originality. Even Robin Williams' character was a bit reminiscent of the Genie from Aladdin without the comedic usefulness of shapeshifting. It was a good attempt, but ultimately "Robots" is sadly recycled scrap metal.
62 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a lot of feeling
donricodelavega5 April 2005
I'm an animator and I can appreciate the work that went into this film. Its visually interesting, but at the same time cluttered. So from a technical stand point it had its pros. Overall the story was mildly interesting. It started out really slow and I wasn't sure whether I would be able to get through the whole movie. But it did pick up a little bit as the movie went on. Now for the major negative points.

• There are too many characters. The supporting cast is numerous and uninteresting. It comes off as if the art department designed a bunch of robots first then decided they didn't want to give up any of the designs.

• The characters personalities are kind of flat. Even the main characters don't really invoke an emotional connection. The secondary characters are just robots that happen to talk once and a while.

• I don't know what is with the trend to put in popular music into animated pictures but it just seems so off when you are watching in. When the story is progressing and then a bunch of characters break out into a dance routine set to a Britney Spears song its like someone suddenly turned on another TV in the room. And this kind of thing happens numerous times. Its even noticeable in the fight sequences and some others which appear to be designed to show funky and interesting animation rather than advance or even fit into the story.

Bottom line, Blue Sky Studios did a much better job on Ice Age. Just like PDI did a much better job on Shrek compared to Shark's Tale (Which was garbage). They just need to get some people involved who can trim the fat of the story and keep people who think they are directing a music video out of the editing room.
62 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun for everyone!
GOWBTW18 June 2006
I've have never seen anything like it in the world! A world run only by robots, and no humans are even present. Well just because they are robots, that doesn't mean all robot movies are going to be all the same: Boring, Stoic, machines it what most people feel about them. Come on, people! Wake up and smell the battery acid! "Robots" will give you the nuts and bolts on how these machines live their life. And the laughs are non-stop. You have this robot named Rodney, a inventor who has big dreams on helping out robots. Then there's this junk robot Fender(Robin Williams), who's been around the city for the longest that he could remember. Rodney idolized Bigweld(Mel Brooks), the mack daddy of all helpers of robots. When he's held up by a corporate powerhouse, who was not here to be helpful, but to make an empire of his greedy self. Everyone looks up to Rodney as the Right arm of Bigweld. I liked the part where He asked "Who wants to get fixed?" and the robotic dog got scared. And the fake emissions made Aunt Fanny let out the big one which killed the lamppost. Anyone got a gas mask? HAHAHA! Then when everyone helped Rodney defeat the upgrades, That robot Fender(Robin Willaims) pulled out a Britney Gears! What a barrel of used gears, and a bottle of oil, this movie will leave you in stitches, except if you are a robot! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Rating 5 stars!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Near Perfect - Jokes Too Infrequent
LivingDog20 November 2005
I really liked this movie a lot. At first it struck me as no different from a cute family story which will be merely entertaining. Well, that was over after a certain point when some of the better jokes came along. I started to laugh out loud. Then I knew this was a good movie.

I no longer think Robin Williams' stand-up is funny - not for a long time. But when he falls into roles in movies like these, then his comedy comes full force and you see the once great comedian come to life (albeit through the character).

The computer animation is much better than Ice Age b/c there is so much authentic looking detail.

A bit slow in the beginning that finally gets going with the humor that was, after that, all too infrequent. Highly watchable again. 8/10.

-Zafoid
Robot Futurism as Capitalist Critique...from 20th-Century FOX
BabelAlexandria14 November 2021
This is a strange movie. It has beautiful animation and great voice acting. And yet it feels somehow empty, like a tin man missing his brain, heart, or whatever. Not because of the common complaint that the plot is without interest: in fact, it's using a story about mistreated robots in the distant future (post-AI takeover? Was that a thing in 2005?) not to advocate for better human treatment of robots, but to critique high capitalism and its (effective) disposal of those who cannot contribute to profits. The recycling of spare parts doesn't fit so easily in this extended metaphor, but that's what makes it interesting. Despite all of that, the plot seems oddly manufactured, a trite combination of commonplace platitudes assembled by a giant media corporation to sell more tickets/blu rays.

But my son, especially, loved it, I think in large part for a feature that most reviews simply ignore: the slap-stick humor, which is "robotized" in an interesting way, and particularly appealing to children.
Dimension
tedg11 March 2005
By now you probably know all the ordinary things about this movie: the story is trite, the characters are ordinary and except for Robin ordinarily acted, and the jokes are extraordinarily clever.

This comment is about an important trend in animation that most commentors miss, the role of dimensionality and how well it is exploited in this movie.

Pixar discovered this. After they made their character's bodies render visually with dimension, and after they gave the identity of the characters "dimension" (still unique to Pixar, it seems), they realized the power of moving them and us around in three-dimensional space. "Nemo" was set in an ocean purely because they wanted to be able to move in all three dimensions without having to make heavy explanations.

The idea gained extra credibility when the "door warehouse" scenes in "Monsters, Inc" tested much better than expected.

Its not like this is a great secret in the industry. Everyone is talking about it now, and the notion goes as far back as "Citizen Kane"'s camera. Others have tried: "Treasure Island" was conceived to maximize the movement of the camera in three—space. So were parts of "Van Helsing" and the latest Potter.

Oddly, some big investments that should have known better didn't, like the Spiderman splats.

This movie does exceedingly well in moving us in three-space. As soon as we enter the city, we have that elaborate transit system. You notice the depth and are intended to. But after that, you take it for granted that you are disembodied and moving freely in threespace. It is a very clever construction, and unusual enough that it makes us accept the world we see. We would merely think of it merely as the Flintstones (or Jetsons) if we saw it with a "normal" eye.

That movement of the eye allows us to shift realities quickly, so when Robin Williams does a Brittany Spears routine as combat, we accept it.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: Robots
DICK STEEL7 March 2005
This film is ingenious, in the way the story narrates and transplant everyday life and events, into their robotic equivalent. It brings the phrase "Giving birth after 12 hours of labour" to a new dimension, and so we begin, with the birth of robot "Rodney Copperbottom".

While growing up in Rivet Town suburb, he experiences the simple life, living with "hand-me-down" spare parts and upgrade pieces from relatives, before realizing his dream and ambition of becoming an inventor, just like his idol Big Weld, a fuddly duddly corporate big wig, who cares about the robotic society, giving it back to it, and encouraging everyone to live their dream.

But all's not well when Rodney visits the big city - his idol has become a recluse, and the corporation he left has become the exact opposite from what it was founded - profits and the bottom line matters, and something sinister is brewing between the new CEO and his mum, who runs the city's smelting plant. The narrative seems suspiciously familiar that point on, like you've seen it before somewhere, but the robotic premise breathes new life into recycled themes.

The themes in the movie are never fully developed, partly because it's supposed to be enjoyed by children as well, and also because it clocks in at a relatively short 90 minutes. Themes like corporate responsibility, living your dreams, and consumerism - the need to perpetually upgrade even when you don't have a need to. Perhaps with more time, and if wanting to veer into those direction, we'll get more beef, but I must remind myself, this is essentially a children's film - nothing to deep please to get a kid's attention span.

There are beautiful set action pieces with everything happening at the same time, and robotic animation that look so real, you thought they actually built the robots for this film! While there are big names who lent their voices to this film, Robin Williams stands out (as always) and is a riot in this one. From the minute he begins, he is an absolute scene stealer, right up until the finale scene, though I must add that it does seem a little muted, given that he only has his voice to bring his wit across, rather than experiencing the full repertoire of what Robin is capable of! The music in this film plays an important part in the narrative as well, and at times, contribute a lot to the slapstick scenarios. From Baby One More Time to Right Thurr, the filmmakers have picked the right hits for the right moments for maximum effect.

Though the ending, like all cartoons, are happily ever afters, I felt a sad tinge of disappointment at the lack of what I felt was the norm of animation film these days - no blooper clips or easter eggs, nor fancy end credits for this film. Kind of an anti-climax after a fun rip-roaring session, lacking an encore.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.