Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) Poster

This absurd comedy had to convince me...and somehow it did
MaxJSteele23 January 2006
When Anchorman came into theaters, I avoided it like a dead sewer rat. When it came onto HBO, I pretended it didn't exist. In fact, I would not have even LOOKED at it had my remote control not stuck on the stupid channel. So I watched a few minutes. I didn't laugh. I wasn't surprised.

Then one day, surfing the premium movie channels, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the offerings. So I turned on Anchorman, about 5 minutes in. For the next hour and a half, I proceeded to laugh hysterically. Scene after scene, line after line, I found new reasons to laugh. By the end, I could hardly breathe.

Unconvinced that I had stumbled upon a a re-watchable movie, I tested and retested it over and over. And over. Result confirmed.

Anchorman tells a simple story: acclaimed (and consequently arrogant) news anchor Ron Burgundy is forced to adapt when an attractive new female member of the Channel 4 news team (Applegate) begins changing the way he and his quirky news team work. That's it. This story is predictable, prescription-esquire, boring. But Anchorman does not draw it's strength from story. It draws from the hilarious situations. It draws from randomness. It draws from brief--but memorable--cameos. It draws from those 100 or so unforgettable one-liners.

That is, if you're looking for cinema, for a fine work of craftsmanship, a eloquent script, and an Oscar nomination, go watch a FILM. If you find randomness hilarious, then watch this MOVIE.
182 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The perfected art of being stupid
Derek2379 March 2005
In a year packed with comedies that were all a bit stupid and silly (and all seemed to feature Ben Stiller), Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy reigns supreme above them all. This is a movie that is well aware of its own stupidity, and best of all, it is able to embrace it skillfully so that it is exactly as silly and immature as it wants to be. It is such a great comedy; I'd consider it the Naked Gun of our generation.

As apposed to many, many, other comedies, Anchorman actually gets better as it moves along. Most of the time a comedy like this will use up all the laughs in the first hour and then try to take a serious, lovey-dovey turn in the last act. There are more laughs in the last half hour than in the first half hour, which usually is never the case. It's as if there was some mathematical comedic formula that spread the laughs out in a way that it was consistently funny. Or, maybe they just got lucky. I dunno.

I loved all the characters in the movie, every role no matter how small had a great moment or two. Will Ferrel of course, the star of the movie who is just perfect as Ron. He's so so funny 'cause he's such a lovable idiot. Even Christina Appelgate, who was in a role that quite honestly anyone could have done, is able to make it her own and provide some laughs. There is a scene that has a lot of cameos that was hilarious as well. It was one of those moments that takes you completely by surprise.

So, what else can I say except that I loved Anchorman! It's the best "stupid" comedy I've seen in years. This is Will Ferrel at his best and it will be hard to top.

My rating: 9/10
171 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a comedy.
telesfunken11 March 2016
This is just childish rambling with swearing. There's nothing funny about this movie, I find it actually quite sad. Just a bunch of idiots apparently mentally challenged trying to get in women's pants using techniques that would hardly work in a woman if you paid her. But in the movie, it actually does work!!! And it has a 7.2 rating in IMDb!!!! That's just incredible!

I was having a bad day and needed a good laugh. Well... that backfired like a horse's kick right in the... you know where.

"This city was discovered by Germans in 1904 and they called it San Diago (Yes, DiAgo). Which of course, means a whale's vagina"(????!) In what planet is this funny?

And I never EVER found Will Ferrel funny. He LOOKS funny, which is different. I laugh at him, not with him. He actually kind of grosses me out. Must be some kind of acquired taste that only works in America.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow, that was bad (very slight spoiler).
Oneiric17 July 2004
My expectations were low. I've liked Will Ferrell's brand of soft-edged mania well enough in the past, but not enough to go see a movie just because he's in it. I went because I remember San Diego in the 1970's, and even the network news in that sleepy city in that era.

As I say, my expectations were low, and I was still very disappointed. I realize it's the 14-year-old inside this was aimed at, not my 41-year-old outside -- but I know a lot of teenagers, and none of them are stupid enough to enjoy this. The script was atrocious, even when you're not bothering to score for plot. Most of the jokes and set pieces were lame -- even "Afternoon Delight" fell flat.

The performances were no better. Will Farrell was not much more than present. I've seen him show more heart in SNL sketches, or even as the cop on the trail in the Jay and Silent Bob movie. Fred Willard, so brilliant in Best in Show, looked sad and tired. Most strangely, the comedy casting at the center was deeply flawed. Two of the three sidekicks were worthless: just...not...funny. Not even for one second. Steve Carell was funny, or at least absurd, for about five seconds.

You know you're watching a bad movie when the senseless cameos and animal dialogs are the only things you can summon up as enjoyable memories. Waste no money or time on this turkey!
50 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny Anchorman
Jon Ochiai13 July 2004
This summer I've seen several intentionally stupid funny movies, and enjoyed them. Adam McKay's "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" is no exception. Seems that my taste for high concept cinema has been influenced by the summer-- well not really. This movie written by McKay and it's star Will Ferrell is an outrageous and completely over the top comedy. Applaud Will Ferrell as the mind bendingly stupid and self absorbed, San Diego newscaster, Ron Burgundy. Will Ferrell is genius in playing Ron straight without character dispersions. Ferrell creates a great deadpan sense with his cohabiting dog, Baxter, and the fact that his character Ron Burgundy will read ANYTHING on the teleprompter, his tragic flaw, well at least one of several, is priceless. Ferrell also never crosses the line of being a complete jerk which is an amazing accomplishment. In fact, Ferrell gives Ron a muted charm-- he really does grow on you.

Basically, "Anchorman" is an extended sitcom. Ron is informed by his station manager, Ed (a funny Fred Willard), that he will have a co-anchor, Veronica Corningstone (a hot Christina Applegate). Turns out that Veronica was a woman whom was immune to Ron's vast charm at a wild news crew party. Veronica is beautiful, ambitious, and smart. She too has aspirations of being a Network Anchor. The Boys Club news crew which include sportscaster Champ Kind (David Koechner), feature story guy Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), and the dumb as a post weatherman Brick Tamland (Steven Carell) all make their play for Veronica. However, she falls for Ron in spite of himself. Ron eventually woos her affections in a totally wacky jazz flute display. The screen writing is so skewed in a good way, and it has absolutely no shame. There is a classic scene with Ron's dog Baxter, and a bridge that according to my bud, John, shatters a fundamental script writing rule. In another memorable scene Ron gives an erroneous translation of the name San Diego to Veronica that is hilarious. "Anchorman" also benefits from cameos of talented actors, most notably Vince Vaughn as Wes Mantooth, the rival station anchor. Christina Applegate looks great, and truly has a talent for comedy.

"Anchorman" is completely over the top, and ignores any boundaries. That really makes it work. "Anchorman" is broad stroke farce done well. Will Ferrell demonstrates great comedic gifts. I want to see what he creates next. For now, "Anchorman" is just great fun, and very funny stuff.
83 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Insipid, man
ellyphunt25 January 2005
I was never as excited about this movie as my boyfriend was, mostly because I chalk Will Ferrell's humor up to the level of fratboy hijinx, sex jokes, and toilet humor. But I was willing to chill on the couch and watch the hour and a half comedy. I liked him okay on SNL, and I was mildly amused my Old School. I thought it would be a nice way to relax on a Monday night.

And relax I did...almost to the point of falling asleep. Not only were the jokes not funny, there were so few of them. Long periods of boring-ness separated the gags, which included, and I still cannot believe this, Will Farrell and Christina Applegate riding around on animated unicorns, Paul Rudd spraying on cologne that contained chunks of raw meat (panther), Luke Wilson getting his arm chopped off (not even worthy of the Monty Python memory it conjures up), and Will Farrell ACTUALLY EATING A PIECE OF FECES.

Have we come to this? Is this what's supposed to make us laugh now? Even the most quotable line from the movie, which the men in my life will not stop repeating, is "you smell like big foot's dick." Even that just isn't funny. (note: watch Napoleon Dynamite if you want some real quotable material.) The only redeeming qualities of the movie are Steven Carell and Jack Black's brief scene with Baxter, the dog. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. "Biker...Punted...Baxter" Save your time and your money on this one. I sure am glad I didn't have to pay to see it...
84 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outrageously wacky comedy about love, battle of the sexes, in the workplace.
felixoteiza5 January 2011
I caught this movie on TV during the holidays and it was with a bit of trepidation that I started watching it, as I know that Farrell doesn't get any favor from his critics, which consider his work as mindless, vacuous, entertainment--as for me, this is his first movie I see. But having watched a few minutes of it, I was quite surprised.

I actually found Anchorman to be a barrel of laughs. And I liked the way Farrel plays the lead, never forgetting that this is nothing but shameless, unapologetic farce, in which task he is backed by a solid cast, specially Christine Applegate, totally up to task here. Here is the plot: Ron Burgundy is a successful anchorman in a network currently in stiff competition with some similar outfits (to which we are introduced during a weird West Side Story--styled street battle). To this channel arrives Veronica Cornerstone (Applegate) young, beautiful, and very eager to climb to the top; i.e. to the same level as him. Sooner than later sparks start flying between the two, first in a romantic way and then in the worst possible way, when she has finally become his co-anchor. As the final result of their relentless infighting he's fired. But fate intervenes and he makes at the end a triumphal return during a developing story about a panda having a cub in a zoo and Veronica getting trapped in the bear pit in the same place.

I said outrageous comedy. And there are several things I liked about it. In first place, that it never deviates from unabashed farce, as I said. I think this is worth mentioning as I have seen many comedies being turned into mushy or serious stuff by comedians who should have known better, including Charles Chaplin and Jerry Lewis. Then, the fact that the humor here is not based on slapstick, on your regular step--on--banana--peel routine, but in the caricaturing of real life situations; in this case, in the tough, relentless, competition in big media concerns, all that being made even worse--or better--by a battle of the sexes, mixed with sexual tensions between the protagonists Viewers from many countries or cities may recognize their own media personalities in the two leads. I recall a similar situation in some Canadian network a few years back—minus the romantic part--of which little transpired, only rumors, but I couldn't help chuckling now, during that all out, no holds barred, battle between the co-anchors (which even features flying printers and Maze spraying) thinking that that's most likely what the anchor persons in this particular Canadian story would have wanted to do to each other. Great stuff.

Another thing I liked in this movie is that many gags come unexpected, which catch us by surprise and makes for greater comical effect. For ex. no one expects Burgundy to catch Veronica and throw her over a desk, when the feud between them has reached critical mass; even less that she would reveal herself a worthy opponent in the nasty fight that follows. Or that when the heartbroken biker, seeing his bike damaged by Burgundy's car, asks him if he loves something, and when he says that yes, his dog, he, the biker, would take Baxter and kick him over the rail, into the river. Of course, this being pure comedy, doggie makes later a triumphal return and even saves the day. The way this last happens is even wackier, in a dog & bear 'we have much in common, brother, go in peace' sort of exchange, which brought to my memory that similar encounter in The Outlaw Josey Wales between Wales and Comanche chief Ten Bears (which may have been spoofed here). That's the benefit for a comedian of staying inside pure comedy territory: there's no limit there for the wacky, the surreal, as our Suspension of Disbelief Machine has been checked at the door and so we're ready for anything coming our way.

I have rarely seen a bigger schism between good and bad reviews as in this title and that comes from a misunderstanding. This is comedy, I repeat, and comedy needs only three things to work: characters, situations and timing. In occasions it doesn't even need a plot. All what matters is getting the laughs out of that combination. When characters are funny themselves, the laughs come easily, which I think is the case here. That without hiding the fact that, deep down, the film is addressing real, serious, issues. For ex., the difficulties a woman will find when venturing in a male--dominated, ultra competitive, workplace; something that the gags, instead of softening or making less relevant, accentuate and expose in all its ugliness. (and I don't think Anchorman refers in that regard to a time that far in the past, the 70s, frankly).There we have also, for ex., the dual, contradictory attitude of Veronica's "collaborators"--who sabotage her work while at the same time try to hit on her or sexually harass her. We get a peek too at all the backstabbing that may be going on, far from the public eye, and to the scary fact that all what it takes to make someone fall right from the top is a single mistake. Or that the public will rapidly forget a fallen star. Or that the modern media, especially TV, is an insatiable monster that has to be kept constantly fed and satisfied. Or that ratings is all what matters...

But above all this is pure, shameless, comedy. So, if you feel the need to analyze the deeper meaning of the biker kicking the dog into the river, or of wondering if it's really in Burgundy's character to be sliding between latrines, then maybe you should go look for laughs elsewhere. 7/10.

BTW, check the sign in the Mex. resto: Escupimos En Su Comida.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
more a pleasant parody than a biting satire
Roland E. Zwick3 September 2005
"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" takes us back to those halcyon days of the 1970's, when the hair was as big as the lapels and women were just beginning to assume their rightful place in America's television newsrooms.

Will Ferrell plays a Ted Baxter-type anchorman (is it mere coincidence that his dog is named Baxter?) - vain, narcissistic, none too gifted in the brains department - who has worked for years as the sole news dispenser at a top-rated San Diego station. All is going well for Ron Burgundy until the station manager decides the newscast needs a bit more "diversity" and hires a female reporter named Veronica Cornerstone (Christina Applegate) to come on board. Cornerstone is a brainy, blow-dried blonde with a driving ambition to be the first female anchor on network news. Since most of the men who work at the station, including Burgundy, are dyed-in-the-wool misogynists, Ms. Cornerstone faces an uphill battle of sexist comments, schoolboy pranks, and subtle (and not so subtle) undermining as she climbs her way to the top (though she is not above pulling a few dirty tricks herself to get what she wants). Things really get dicey when Burgundy and Cornerstone begin dating and quickly fall in love, a situation rife with potential disaster as Cornerstone begins to encroach on Burgundy's professional territory.

"Anchorman" is a light-hearted, enjoyable little comedy that, unlike a full-throated satire (say, like "Network"), often goes for the easy laugh instead of the incisive barb. The movie is at its best when it is parodying the corny graphics and the tendency to over hype the trivial ("Panda Watch: Day 46") that define modern newscasts - and at its worst when it is indulging in silly, often scatological jokes and slapstick throw away bits. Like most mainstream comedies, the humor in "Anchorman" ranges from the mildly funny to the downright hilarious, the latter including a clever "West Side Story" parody involving a rumble between rival news teams, and a conversation between a dog and a bear that ends the movie on a ludicrous but knee-slapping high note.

Ferrell (who co-wrote the film) is his usual manic self, unctuous but likable, and Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner, and Fred Willard do fine work in supporting roles. Moreover, writer/director Adam McKay provides a smattering of guest appearances from such well known stars as Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Tim Robbins, Vince Vaughn, Jerry Stiller and even Ben Stiller, many of who are not listed in the official credits.

"Anchorman" goes down easily - a bit too easily, perhaps, for a film that, with a little more courage, might have become a scathing satire on an industry that could do with a little merciless skewering right about now. Still, "Anchorman" is fun while it lasts - and these days we'll settle for what we can get when it comes to laughs.
50 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty low, even for a movie which is supposed to be lowbrow
policy13413 October 2006
Don't really know how to describe this but what a waste of time. Ferrell has surprised me with good parts in Austin Powers movies and the hilarious Zoolander. This would have been a great part for the late, great Phil Hartman, who I would have love to have seen in this role. Just imagining what he would have been able to do with it makes it all the more sadder that he is no more.

Ron Burgundy, the anchor man Ferrell is portraying is in Ferrell's own words, kind of dumb. That would not make the movie dumb in itself but Ferrell makes the awful mistake by letting the character too aware that he is dumb. He should have been oblivious to the fact most of the time. Christina Applegate's character is even worse because we know by now that there has to be a virtually straight man/woman to comment on the dumbness of Burgundy but she ends up looking much more ridiculous than Burgundy at the end. The only one who sort of goes unscathed is Steve Carell, who may be playing the most stupid character in the movie but does it with such a straight face that he plows right over Ferrell in every scene he's in. He is fast becoming the absolute no. 1 comic actor today.

Then of course you have the usual cameos by Ferrell's cronies like Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller but they don't amount to much. They are there absolutely for show.

The one scene that did crack me up was when Ferrell and Applegate throw insults at each other during the closing credits and look like they have a professional conversation. That was a brilliant little scene and I wished that "Anchorman" could have had that kind of edge right through it all.

The end is sort of a cross between the end of "Animal House" and the awful last scene of that Adam Sandler favorite "Anger Management". I heard that this film was in part inspired by a true event concerning the first female anchor. It must have been a very small part.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Summertime: Lighten Up and Laugh Without Guilt: No Thinking Necessary
Ralph Michael Stein9 July 2004
The most devoted cineastes and the average hoi polloi moviegoers both need to kick back and laugh, without probing or analysis, at a goofball, outrageously funny comedy with zero depth. And that's exactly what director Adam McKay (also co-writer with star Will Ferrell) provides in "Anchorman." A very warm summer day, like today, was perfect for the quick gags and physical comedy of this nutty flick. Maybe it's even more of a relief for us folks who are still arguing with each other about "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Control Room," documentaries that make us confront a difficult present and a tenuous future.

Will Ferrell is TV news anchor Ron Burgundy in 1970s San Diego. This is Pre-B.W. (Barbara Walters), a dark age when men reported the news almost exclusively. Burgundy, shallow and self-absorbed without redemption, chases skirts and is so genuinely stupid he reads ANYTHING on the teleprompter. His news crew consists of adulators and one misfit, Brick Tamland, played with unremitting mental blankness by Steve Carrell. Burgundy's dog is a delight, a pooch who can bark in a few languages.

The "Men's Club" is jolted by the station honcho's decision to add a woman to the newsroom, largely to appease the network satraps. He says it's necessary in the interests of "diversity," a word one staff member doesn't even understand. Enter pretty but tough Veronica Corningstone, Christina Applegate. Applegate makes what really is a tough comedic role work completely.

A misadventure by Burgundy results in Veronica's pinch-hitting chance to anchor the evening news. Veronica scores big time. She and Ron are already lovers and she expects him to be thrilled that his absence was her big break. No way and the rest of the film is Ron's Revenge and Veronica's Counterattack.

A subplot is the rivalry between Ron and his crew and the mobile news gatherers of competing stations. This ends in a donnybrook reminiscent of the silent film era having no rhyme or reason. The other stations' combatants are led by Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and Tim Robbins. Robbins, one of the most intelligent and versatile personalities in film and stage today, should be watched closely. He almost loses his composure acting the zany script. Even Jack Black makes it into the flick as a dedicated junkie.

Don't miss the outtakes as the end credits role, especially Ferrell's last comment on what the movie really is.

Pure summer fun-laugh, be happy.

93 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
ummm....where do i start?
Gaz45-18 January 2006
Personally I just can't believe why such big names in film comedy decided this would be a good film for their careers. The only thing I can think of is that they all realised how many comedy stars were going to be in it and thought 'why not?'.

I did not see this in the cinema, and friends who I must say have a very similar comedic taste to mine told me about it, and swore by it as "comedy genius". Yes, I like stupid films, and this is a stupid film, but this really takes the biscuit, its pathetic. I didn't really like the look of it but when my friends told me it starred Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrel… and cameos from Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson and others…I thought, how can this be a bad movie?! Well, it was. Poor plot (come to think of it, there didn't seem to be a plot), and even worse jokes. This really goes to show that these actors cannot be funny people, because if they were they could have nailed this film even though it has no plot. The only saviour of this film was Steve Carell as Brick who's complete randomness is admittedly hilarious but unfortunately not enough to make this a good film. Instead you are subject to poor, cringe worthy gags, and sparse prolonged periods of nothing. Apart from that, I was disappointed in my friends for telling me to watch it, I really did try to like this film and find it funny, but I just couldn't. You need the brain of a very dull 10 year old that finds fart noises funny to find this film even mildly amusing. Everyone I know either loves it, or hates it. So if you like plot-less stupid films, with very very few moments of any comedy value at all, watch it. If not, buy something else. But if it is on TV, its worth watching 10 minutes of it just for the jaw dropping amazement of how poor it is.
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Consistent and thorough silliness keep this above-average comedy afloat
byght12 July 2004
I went to "Anchorman" expecting another super-mainstream, lowest-common-denominator, SNL-derived romp. Now, these aren't the worst movies in the world, to be sure. "Happy Gilmore" and "Old School" are pretty agreeable ways to while away the time. But usually about an hour in to these affairs, I've had enough of the broadness and predictability, which starts to get downright oppressive. It's not just that they're lowbrow--it's that they're so overwhelmingly, disappointingly conventional.

Luckily, this isn't what "Anchorman" is. "Anchorman" is a refreshingly off-kilter outing from an unlikely source--Will Ferrell, the current reigning lord of middle-of-the-road fratboy Sandlerism. The film has a lot more in common with Mel Brooks and Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker than anything in the SNL family tree. It prizes out-and-out silliness and absurdity over bathroom humor and penis jokes (though there's plenty of the latter, don't worry), and pulls it off admirably. In essence, the key to this stuff is never letting off of the goofiness even for a second--the audience should never be allowed to take anything seriously.

"Anchorman" achieves this with exceedingly silly and bizarre dialogue complemented by killer comic performances from Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Vince Vaughn and Steve Carrel. You'd have to be lobotomized to maintain a straight face through lines like "It's made with bits of real panther. So you know it's good." and "I'm riding a big, furry tractor!" The direction and pacing are also pretty solid at times, and the requisite celeb cameos are very nicely done (especially in one particular scene which I wouldn't dream of ruining).

The film's not without its flaws, certainly. Chief among them is the wasting of one of the best comic character actors in the biz: Fred Willard. If ever there was someone born to play a smarmy local TV newsman, Willard is it. But he's inexplicably cast here as a dull station suit, while David Koechner plods through the sportscaster role that was clearly meant for him--passable but certainly not as inspired as Willard would have been. Also, I think that the story would have benefited if Vaughn and his cronies, the closest thing to villains in this lightheaded romp, had a little more face time.

But these are comparatively minor problems--the point is that Ferrel has given us something that's really funny in a way that's appreciably different from the endless SNL movie-mill. It's not Monty Python, but it is a healthy departure from what has become the comic mainstream. Most importantly, the laughs are frequent, long, and deep--check it out and you won't be disappointed.
81 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Legend Of Ron Burgandy and Veronica Cornerstone
Chrysanthepop4 September 2008
I had been avoiding myself from watching 'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' for a long time because I thought that it would be another one of those wannabe non-funny comedies. I liked Ferrell a lot in comedies like 'Legally Blonde' and 'Stranger Than Fiction' where he really downplays the humour but I saw some of his Saturday Night Live sketches and many were plain awful. Anyway, I later found out that the cast also included Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd and Steve Carell and so I was curious to how Ferrell works with these talented comedy actors.

So that's that and now, after having seen it, I must add that 'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' is a laugh riot. It superbly spoofs the 70s. Adam McKay brings together an excellent comedic cast playing colourful characters. Ferrell and Applegate are at the centre of the film and both are stupendous! But the supporting cast that includes David Koechner as a 'macho' wannabe who's actually a closet homosexual, Paul Rudd as a virgin stud, Steven Carell as a mentally stunted weatherman and Fred Willard as the laid back boss equally stand out with their gags and superb comic timing. Just when I was thinking that it would be funny if Vince Vaughn was part of the cast, he appears on screen as the 'deadly' rival. There are also notable cameos by a psychopathic Tim Robbins, a Hispanic Ben Stiller, an armless Luke Wilson and Jack Black as a cruel junkie.

I'd recommend to watch the movie with English subtitles as there are some hilarious lines between Burgundy's dog and a bear which is spoken in animal language. There are so many more laugh-out-loud moments that it's hard for me to single out a particular scene. Which one shall I say? The scene where he plays the flute to impress Veronica, Veronica screaming 'Ron!' (in typical 70's melodramatic style) when he gets fired, the entire bear awakening sequence, the battle between the anchormen, Veronica challenging Ed with her three strengths: screwing, fighting and news-reading ....there's just too many.

While being an out-and-out comedy, it does bring forth some serious issues like gender equality (which was still a problem in the 70s). Though the undertone is serious, it's all presented in a comedic way but it never makes fun of the issue. For example, Veronica is continuously harassed by her male co-workers but she stays strong without succumbing to their rudeness.

'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' is a joyride all the way. Whether one likes the film or not, I'm sure they at least would have a good laugh.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beauty and the Self-Absorbed Anchorman
nycritic18 July 2005
I came unto this movie only for the scene in the trailer that showed Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) and Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) leaping into each other's arms, right on top of a conference table, as Ferrell yelled, "Let's make a baby!" Which is essentially saying I decided to give it a chance out of vague curiosity, not expecting an even remotely good collection of skits straight out of Saturday Night Live. And, I'll say this: I was proved wrong.

The story that THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY tells is simple, but deceptive: while having Ron Burgundy (San Diego's Channel 4's main anchorman) as its main character, it's actually the story of how Veronica Corningstone came unto this TV station and on the way to becoming the first female news anchor confronted massive opposition from her male co-workers who wouldn't even assign her a decent office on her first day of work, much less give her the chance to report the news. That she is quoted as being an ice queen after she aggressively rebukes the sexual advances of Burgundy's clique (recalling in a much lesser way Faye Dunaway's emasculating Diana Christensen) is part of her charm, and it's this charm the reason Burgundy eventually falls for her, and part of what belies her true nature once she decides to climb her own ladder to success.

Applegate is great in her role because she never tries to make her character too harsh even when her own mean streak comes out late in the movie and gets Ron Burgundy fired from the office. While still not having a breakout role, her interpretation has the right element of spunk and humanity, and her chemistry is very palpable with Ferrell whenever they're on camera together which is often. Ferrell, on the other hand, let's loose, but because he's so good, his role doesn't become something that belongs strictly on Saturday Night Live and I think he has the potential to do with his career what Tom Hanks has done with his own which is transcend broad comedy and move into power-acting. His Ron Burgundy is, quite simply, a deluded clown, but a likable one, much like the Ted Baxter was on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

Much credit has to go to the writers who devised the hilarious jokes. The names of the characters alone are exaggerated, as is the scene where the news anchors from rival stations collide in a bloodbath (which features cameos from Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn, and Tim Robbins), and another great moment when Burgundy encounters an angry biker (Jack Black) on his way to work, and who kicks his dog into the bay. We can see the dog is clearly a doll, but the temerity of the scene which recalls a similar scene in THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY stands.

I think the essence of the movie can be summed up in one scene, though: who can recall growing up in the 70s and seeing the credits roll as the news program came to an end and the two anchors were seen chit-chatting amicably? There's a great inter-cutting between what a television (in Any Home, USA) is showing to the open verbal war that both anchors (Applegate and Ferrell) are engaging in. It makes one think of what actually happens once the newscast is over.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is good. Hey everyone, come and see how good this movie is.
belowzero87 December 2007
My favorite movie ever. Its Will Ferrel up to his usual shenanigans. I laughed the entire way through this movie, so much that I had to see it a second time to catch all of the jokes. The reason I like it so much, is that its such an easy movie to quote.

If you like low level humor that can be crude at times, this one is for you. Do not expect a super plot or a twist, its a comedy. You will laugh so hard you will get that feeling that you cannot breath.

The movie features comedy all stars like Will Ferrel, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, and David Coechner who team up together and make a perfect comedy team in this classic comedy.
54 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The bomb.com!
ThomasABridgman10 September 2005
As I sit and watch Anchorman for what must be the 1000th time, I can't help but ask myself; WHY? Well, the answer is simple. This movie freaking rocks! It boasts an unbelievable amount of one-liners that I am spouting constantly. It could quite possibly become the most often quoted movie ever. Will Ferrell's over-the-top performance, along with other cast members equally daring acts, makes you wonder how much of the movie was scripted, and how much was ad-lib. All of the characters support each other so well, that it is nearly impossible not to have a favorite line from each one.

I am not a fan of all of Ferrell's movies (especially Kicking and Screaming), but this one will be near the top of my list for years to come, I'm sure.

Because, as we all know, 'Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!'
71 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so funny movie appeals mainly to males under 30.
TxMike16 January 2005
Many critics gave 'Anchorman' good marks, but we watched it last night on DVD and couldn't believe how bad it is. It is clearly aimed at broad comedy but most of the situations, dialog and acting simply were embarrassing to watch. Will Ferrell who plays the fictional 1970s title character, anchorman Ron Burgundy, has been funny in many skits I have seen him in, especially on SNL, where other people wrote for him. As I watched him here, I had the feeling he was trying to be another Steve Martin, but just came across as foolish, and not funny.

One of the worst was the conversation he was having in the newsroom with Christina Applegate who plays the new reporter Veronica Corningstone. We see something poking out inside his pants, and Veronica mentions to him that he has a very large erection, and he promptly parades around the newsroom with this "erection" prominently displayed. That MIGHT have seemed funny on paper, and high school boys watching the movie MIGHT have laughed at it, but the three of us watching the movie just though it was stupid. There are many other scenes that shot for a comedic reaction but just didn't work for us.

Fred Willard playing the boss Ed Harken was the only ray of light here. Willard is always funny, and he underplays his role quite appropriately. He is bringing in the dreaded 'woman' on the news team, and the guys don't like it one bit. Burgundy feels threatened, but is immediately smitten when he meets Victoria. Against all reason, she also falls for the dopey and incompetent Burgundy, and they have what seems to be an attempt at a comedic bedroom scene but just seemed absurd to us. When Burgundy has an altercation on the freeway and is then late for the evening news broadcast, Veronica steps in and does great, fulfilling her dream to become an on-air anchor.

Later there is a very silly scene at the zoo, covering the birth of a new Panda, when various news team members end up in a bear pit. There is a silly scene of four rival news teams fighting in an alley, 'West Side Story' style, but one man played by Luke Wilson in a 'cameo' gets his arm cut off and we see the nub but he just looks at it and shrugs. Later, at the zoo, his other arm is cut off.

The very best rating I can give this movie is a "3", and only because I have seen some even worse movies I rate "1" or "2". I cannot imagine how well-known critics can give it a favorable rating. I don't really care about Will Farrell, but I love Christina Applegate as an actress. Her role here was a waste of her talent. I hope she picks better projects in the future.

Can you tell I was totally disappointed in this movie??
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Redefines the word "bad".
bigpeeler9 July 2004
What in the heck did I just watch?

I love Will Ferrell, so I have no axe to grind in that regard. But I just got back from watching this debacle in a packed theatre and...I'm dumbfounded. This movie transcended bad. Shrouded in a very thin plot, it was nothing more that a staccato string of inane jokes and the sure sign of a crappy movie, a number of surprise cameos.

This stunk of one of those "alum" films where a bunch of actors (and I do use that term loosely here) get together, fill out roster spots and ham it up for the camera. Anyone of these roles could have been played by one of the other actors. And the reason that you saw a "star" of Christina Applegate's stature in this movie is obviously because no other actress with a shred of dignity would have accepted this script.

I laughed out loud one time during this film, and oddly enough, I was the only one. When the announcer is paid off by Ron and he says, "That was Ron Burgundy and Tits McGee!" I guffawed out loud only to be stared at by those who sat in stone silence around me. The highlight of this movie was the Milk-Dud fight that broke out between two bored teenagers at the front of the cinema.

Save your money folks. It'll be at Blockbuster by noon tomorrow.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"One Of Will's Best!"
gwnightscream16 July 2012
Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Steve Carell, David Koechner, Paul Rudd and Fred Willard star in this 2004 comedy. This film takes place in the 70's in San Diego, California where we meet news anchor, Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) and his co-anchors, Brick Hanland (Carell), Chimp Kind (Koechner) and Brian Fantana (Rudd). Soon, newswoman, Veronica Corningstone (Applegate) gets a job with them and Ron and her fall for each other. Soon, they go head to head competing for an anchor position which causes Ron to lose his job. He eventually get his job back and makes peace with Veronica. Willard plays Ron's boss, Ed Harkin. This is one of Will's best, he and the cast are great and I recommend this.
Once Going, I Loved It
FilmFanInTheHouse17 June 2009
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

directed by

Adam McKay

Uproar erupts when Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) must share the news room with a woman anchor.

Like many comedies, Anchorman does have a slow start, but as it goes on, the jokes don't stop. Will Ferrell and gang have created such wonderful and hilarious characters who won't be forgotten anytime soon. Add to this, some fantastic cameos from stars such as Tim Robbins and Jack Black, and you have one of the funniest films of 2004.
A funny but odd movie
sacto-da4 January 2006
What can I saw about this movie? Very interesting, some what funny. Did show how men before the women's movement acted. I was to young to remember it. I am sure this wasn't far from the truth in how women were treated. I am glad thing have changed. A lot more out there for women. I think the best part of the movie was the Anchorman Rumble with all the news anchors from other stations. The scene at the zoo was okay. It got to be a bit silly. Frankly the whole movie was a bit silly. I didn't like Jack Black's biker dude kicking the dog over the bridge. I didn't think is was all that funny. All in all not a bad movie. Donna A.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very funny -- but very stupid
Bryce Rumbles19 July 2005
If you're in the mood for just plain stupid humor, this is the movie for you!

Will Farrell brings his brand of earnest smarminess, along with the cheesiest mustache since Jim Carrey's in _Me, Myself, and Irene_, to his role as the eponymous Ron Burgundy.

The 70's is brought to hilarious life -- everyone smokes, the San Diego sky is clotted with smog, there is no such thing as "sexual harassment" as an issue - it's just a way of life. It's like the goofier side of _Boogie Nights_.

Recommended if you're tired of seriously good movies!
Not good. . .but then again, I wasn't expecting much
shakawtwf16 May 2005
The following, by themselves, do not necessarily make a funny movie:

1) Funny names 2) Yelling inappropriately 3) Mispronouncing words 4) Non-sequiturs 5) Movies set in the 70's

There were a couple of funny lines in this movie and they almost made me want to continue watching but I got the gist of the amount of quality that went into the script pretty early. It seems to me that the writers thought they really didn't have to try that hard and that Will Ferrell (who can be very funny, by the way) would just make whatever they wrote funny. A rickety house built on sand doesn't get sturdier with a fresh coat of paint on it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
slow starting and dumb, but occasionally hilarious
TheNorthernMonkee7 May 2005
SPOILERS Will Ferrell has been a bit of a Hollywood golden child over the last few years. Progressing from his regular stint on "Saturday Night Live" Ferrell released 2003 feel good Christmas hit "Elf". Brilliant at improvisation, Ferrell has a face for comedy and after "Elf", his next big hit was going to be "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy". Slow to start though, "Anchorman" is an incredibly inconsistent film. Occasionally very, very funny, and occasionally woeful, this film is not perhaps the Ferrell gem it really should have been.

Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) and his crack news team are number one in San Diego. When ambitious Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) arrives on the scene and wants to be an anchor, things begin to slowly go wrong. After an incident involving a burrito and a Jack Black cameo, Burgundy's career begins to go disastrously downhill.

Supported by more American comedians than you can think of, Ferrell is his usual self in his guise as the obsessive news anchor. With solid performances by Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and Vince Vaughn, Ferrell is also helped by cameos from stars including Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson and even Tim Robbins. Everyone named blatantly enjoys themselves as well. With countless improvisation parts, the film exploits talents that some of these stars are naturally gifted at.

Unfortunately for "Anchorman", irrelevant of how good the cast is, at times it just isn't funny. Starting slowly, it possesses one or two good jokes for the first thirty minutes. Almost torturous to watch, you find yourself reaching for the control but never being able to turn over. Like a Howard Stern radio show, you continue to watch the film, not because you particularly enjoy it, but because you want to see what random comment will come next.

Perhaps this is the key thing about this film. As it progresses, it does gradually become funnier and funnier. If you compare this advance though with the ever growing randomness of events, there is a distinct similarity. The scene involving Jack Black for example is well thought up and conceived, but how the scene progresses is just so obscure, that you find yourself unable to stop laughing.

As the film approaches it's conclusion, this complete randomness gets even worse. In a scene involving bears towards the end, you wonder how the film will solve a problem, and just as you begin to construct a rudimentary idea in your brain involving stones and rope, along comes a conclusion which you would never have been able to predict in a million years. As a result, you DO find yourself laughing, but the question should really be whether you laugh at the jokes, or laugh at the complete disregard for sensible plot development. The story is random, but it can be funny.

"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" should have been Will Ferrell's biggest film to date. Starring the comedian in a role he is brilliant at, he is also helped by an able and experienced cast. Ultimately though, for long periods the film just isn't that funny. Getting increasingly random as it progresses, there are moments when you do find yourself falling off your chair in laughter, but ultimately these are just a bit too short in number for the film to be worth the effort. If you want to watch Ferrell at work, your better off with "Elf".