Garfield (2004) Poster

(2004)

Harmless fun - unfortunately geared towards the kids
mjw23057 January 2007
Firstly, i really liked the CGI incarnation of everyone favourite cat and i thought Bill Murray provided his voice superbly, capturing his character with perfection. Other than that though Garfield - the movie failed to deliver the essence of the cartoon's produced by Jim Davis. The humour in the original comic strips were entirely geared at the adult generation, not the kids.

I knew the movie would cater for the younger viewer, but i felt that it went overboard a little, and this was detrimental to the films enjoyment. As a family movie it is entertaining, but Garfield - the movie seems to have ignored the comedy that made him everyone's favourite cat; only traces of it still remain.

It's worth watching as a family movie, but for fans of the Jim Davis comic character, it's probably best left alone.

23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely not the worst movie ever, but it is fairly low on laughs!
TheLittleSongbird9 June 2009
I didn't absolutely hate Garfield 1, but I personally thought the film wasn't that great. The first problem is that the plot is as thin as a piece of cardboard and rather slow-moving. Bill Murray does his best with rather superficial material, but at times he sounds rather monotonic. While the script isn't completely devoid of humour, it is very uneven, and while kids will like the jokes, adults won't find much to go on. Stephen Tobolowsky's villain, despite having some good delivery, just doesn't quite convince, likewise with Brekin Meyer as Jon.

However, there are several redeeming merits, the most obvious one being Oadie the dog. I am 17, but I still found him so adorable, especially when he started dancing on his hind legs. Another obvious plus is the always lovely Jennifer Love Hewitt as Liz, who has been in a number of duds, but still shines because of her endearing personality and beauty. I also thought there were some well chosen locations, and while the film on the whole wasn't very funny, the scene when Garfield is blown so hard into the air-conditioning duct that his face gets stamped into the metal was very funny indeed.

Overall, not a bad movie, but not a particularly good one either. I don't really recommend this other than for Jennifer Love Hewitt, Oadie or if you're a Garfield fan, but I did enjoy the sequel more. 4/10 for a brave attempt to bring a comic book to the big screen. Bethany Cox
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very cool
lauerchance30 July 2019
Truly a masterpiece of film. I liked the part where Garfield are the lasagna
44 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Purrrr-Fect Movie
dire6923 June 2004
I just saw this movie tonight with a friend and we both enjoyed it very much, well worth our time and money. This movie is perfect for the whole family. They should make more movies like this instead of those typical slasher/violent movies and also the ones with so much sexual content. When this movie comes out for purchase, I will most probably buy it because I could watch it over and over again. I'm really glad that they made this movie, I would've never thought that they would've done this movie but I am truly glad and happy that they did because I love cats and I love "Garfield". He's my favorite comic strip and read him every single day and will continue to do so for as long as the strip runs in the newspaper.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, lovable and funny
robhigg22032 June 2005
The comic strips comes to live in better ways than I could have hoped for.

There are plenty of cute and lovable characters.

Jon was not as boring as he was in the original cartoon series.

Liz isn't as ugly and I can see why Jon would want to date her.

Though in the case of Liz it's probably a good thing, there aren't that many characters that look like they did in the comic strip.

The story was good, and I really liked the pictures you see of Garfield as a kitten at the start.

Also the love/ hate relationship between Garfield and Odie.

Not to mention I'm craving Lasanagne right now.

If you love the comic strip you'll love this.

Oh and Garfield also looks realistic.

17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decline, and maybe even fall, of the Garfield empire
Jeff M.-313 June 2004
After engaging in an effort to find a good review - much harder than I ever imagined it would be - and finding the movie listed at the bottom of the barrel, I felt almost an obligation to go see this on opening day - either to prove the critics wrong, or to get fodder for a scathing letter to Jim Davis. I ended up with neither.

The problem, admittedly, is what some critics have said: Garfield is old and busted. A walk in the theater revealed the new hotness: Harry Potter. The movie is, sadly, 10 years overdue. Just look at the long listing of Garfield TV specials, most of which are 1982-1992, and "Garfield and Friends" began in 1988. It was delayed, I read, because Jim Davis believed the technology wasn't there. It was; it's called regular animation. Garfield is a 2-D medium, either on the comics page or on animated cels. But, I guess, since no one does that anymore, 2004 couldn't have a 2-D Garfield.

The problem is not necessarily with the CGI Garfield and his actions, although some of the characteristics displayed are not those I associate with the cat. The problem is with the supporting cast who look, by and large, not like their animated counterparts. Who made Odie a wiener dog with talent? Why is Nermal Siamese and not the "world's cutest kitty-cat"? Shouldn't Arlene be a lot nicer to Garfield? (By the way, since Odie has no speaking lines in either the strip or show, the movie's similar lack is accurate.)

The set design, in bright hues, can't decide whether it's in the real world or in a real-life comic strip. Breckin Meyer ("Inside Schwartz") is just not the right fit for Jon. He's too likable to be our comic-strip loser. While I can accept the whole high-school-crush of Jon and Liz on each other (something definitely not in the comic strip), the payoff would have been better had the tension not vanished prematurely.

The plot arc is not necessarily departed from all of Garfield. It fits more in the mid-1980s, when the strip actually did have week-plus-long plots. In one series, for example, Odie DID leave home, and Garfield DID follow him, and they ended up running away from the circus together. Those citing ripoffs from "Toy Story" and other similar movies should note the 1982 TV special "Here Comes Garfield" shares many elements of both movies and so this movie doesn't take from Pixar, but rather from itself 20 years ago.

The comments that the strip has declined are not off-base. It's times like this that remind me where I got my sense of humor. It came from the politically neutral wit and social commentary of the late 1980s - Garfield (both newspaper and television), Calvin and Hobbes, even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That's why I can't disagree with this line from the Chicago Tribune: "He's been declawed; the swiping humor and Monty Python meanness of his early years have been surgically removed for a PG audience, and with it, most of his appeal." And that hurts.

Today, Garfield is trapped in a one-day-only three-panel set of running gags that still make me laugh, but don't capture the same attitude of years past. However, I still prefer it to the overtly political commentary that you see today, found in strips like "Boondocks" and others. The Garfield calendar on my desk still gives me laughs.

As for the product placements, yes, they were a bit much, but at least part of the time they were well integrated. To those smacking the "dated" references, it was a relief compared to "Shrek 2" to see them come naturally instead of chock-full and fast-pitched.

Had a full-length movie been released around 1994, done by the same animation team that did "Garfield and Friends," with Lorenzo Music doing the voice, it might have been wonderful. Live action does not suit the characters; the departure from 25 years of what we have known is too much. The animated half-hour shows of the 1980s work so much better that they might have been able to make more money simply by scrapping the film and putting out DVDs. I hear "Garfield and Friends" is going to be out on DVD, a TV show that captured the essence of the strip at its peak so much better than this movie did. Those that liked the show should buy that, and only rent this movie.

I wish that the networks would put "A Garfield Christmas" and some of his other specials back on the air; it would build more interest in him. I still love the character. The movie doesn't deserve to be ranked as low as it is by the critics. At the same time, though, it reminds you of how good it might have been. As Garfield has attempted to extend its "brand" by licensing to Cub Scouts and 4-H, you can't help but think it's grasping for an audience that never became fans like the previous generation did.

6/10, because I can't bring myself to demolish a character that still makes me laugh, even if his best work was from when I was young enough to be in the target audience. And even that rating is being nice compared to those who want this cat and its empire put to sleep.
56 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No movie-material
Coventry25 October 2004
All the years I've been a loyal reader of the Garfield comics, I never had the impression it's merely meant for kids. On the contrary, most of the dry humor and charismatic Garfield poses are difficult to 'get' for young children. And yet, the film completely aims for a youthful audience. I have no problem with a movie being pro-children, but this is exaggerated and hardly accessible for adult viewers. The movie totally lacks all the elements that make the comics so entertaining. Garfield's clever and sarcastic remarks, Jon's clumsy womanizing techniques… All this has been replaced with an unhealthy dose of feel-good messages and lame jokes. The computer engineered Garfield doesn't appeal and the other, real pets are badly chosen. The plot is standard-sentiment, with Garfield saving his new housemate puppy from a sneaky, fame-chasing TV host. Breckin Meyer (as Jon Arbuckle) and Jennifer Love Hewitt (as the yummy vet Liz) walk around without anything to do and Bill Murray voices Garfield like it's some sort of dire job he wants to get rid of asap. The first (long-awaited?) cinema adventure of everybody's favorite cat appears to be a quickly produced and unprofessional flick soon to be forgotten. Too bad, since you're left behind with the feeling they could have done something better with this.
53 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bill Murray is the perfect Garfield in light comedy
SnoopyStyle31 January 2015
Garfield (Bill Murray) is the big-boned, lasagna loving, demanding cat belonging to Jon Arbuckle (Breckin Meyer). He hates to leave his cul-de-sac but Jon keeps bringing him to the vet Liz (Jennifer Love Hewitt). Jon has a crush on her since high school. She asks him to adopt Odie. Garfield doesn't like to share Jon's affections. Odie catches the attention of local TV morning personality Happy Chapman (Stephen Tobolowsky). Garfield gets pushed out of the house. Odie goes to accompany him but he locks Odie out. Odie wanders off and gets dognapped by Chapman who wants the dog to be a performance on his show. Bill Murray is the perfect Garfield. He's sarcastic and lovable. That goes for both Murray and Garfield. The story is light kids comedy. It's not terribly deep. It has the essence of the comic strip. This is for Garfield fans.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The original fat cat?
michaelRokeefe23 October 2004
What happened to the cartoon Garfield we've grown to love? Live action mixed with CGI and a simple story line with an unimaginative script; I guess small children are not expected to notice such. Garfield's lasagna gorging and TV watching is slightly interrupted when his owner Jon(Breckin Meyer)falls head over heals for an attractive veterinarian(Jennifer Love Hewitt)that influences the adoption of a puppy named Odie. When Odie is abducted, Garfield is compelled to drag himself off the couch and search for the likable canine. Bill Murray provides the voice of Garfield and is to put it mildly...a p-ss poor fit for the clever actions of the lazy and lovable rotund feline. What happened to Jon the nerd? And he sure shouldn't be deserving the attention of someone as fine as JLH. This movie could have been much more if done in the vain of maybe SHREK or FINDING NEMO. But no doubt...the small fry will probably wear their copy out before entering elementary school.
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining enough to watch it once but the movie is extremely forgettable.
Boba_Fett113820 October 2005
As simple good clean entertainment this movie really isn't that bad. The movie however fails to making a lasting impression. Nothing in the movie is something new or memorable. The story itself is also extremely simple. The fact that the movie is so incredible short makes the story seem even worse than it perhaps is.

I'll admit that Garfield is a better looking CGI-character than Scooby-Doo was. Still that doesn't mean that Garfield looks incredibly impressive or realistic. Plus of course this movie has very little to do with the original cartoon, so many grew up with. None of the characters really make an impressive appearance, not even Bill Murray's voice talent can change this. Jennifer Love Hewitt is looking good in this movie but she gets very little to do and her characters just felt needless for this movie. A big disappointing character was the villain Happy Chapman he was not fun, not villainous enough and his exact motivations were too unclear and/or too lame.

The movie also fails to be really funny. The movie will perhaps make you grin at times but it almost most certainly won't make you laugh out loud. Still as simple clean entertainment it serves it purpose and I can't not entirely trash this movie. It does has its few moments but it simply all doesn't make a very lasting impression.

Entertaining enough to watch it once.

6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unusual kids movie for kids only (dad)
leplatypus8 January 2017
In other words, as an adult, i got bored quickly! However i like cats (over dogs) and there isn't much cats movies nevertheless this one is really bad: as he kept talking, after five minutes, i was fed up! His attitude is also not enjoyable and at the end, he is not funny! The story is dragging, already seen (toy story 2), with transparent characters really inspired from classic Disney (Crueala!). sure i maybe laughed a few times but at the end, i was rather happy that it was a quick movie (not even 80 minutes)! Finally, i found that the real dog was much more interesting, that this movie ranks very low for interacting characters (Roger Rabbit stays the best!) and indeed Hewitt was the bait to make wait dads!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Below average generic kids movie.
CuriosityKilledShawn1 August 2004
And only marginally redeemed by Garfield.

There's not much to separate this from rubbish like Cats and Dogs and Stuart Little. Everything that happens on screen is there to appeal to the youngest of kids. No one over the age of 8 will get much out of this movie. Unlike movies such as Shrek 2 or Brother Bear, there's absolutely NOTHING in this for adults at all. A shame really as the humor in the Garfield comic strip can sometimes be very clever and observant.

It's worse when you go see this with a bunch of screaming kids (and a baby-honestly why bring a baby to the cinema?!?) who laugh at every single thing. And that's including the stuff that isn't meant to be funny. It did get very irritating and proves furthermore that this is a movie for infants.

The tiny bit of humor the movie does have comes ENTIRELY from Garfield. Bill Murray is great, his delivery is catatonically laid-back and dry. The CGI of Garfield is also very good. He looks to cute that you just want to keep him. But any positive the movie has begins and ends right there.

Breckin Meyer may look the part of Jon but he has less than nothing to do in the role. Jeniffer Love Hewitt (gorgeous as she is) is totally slumming it in a role that requires her to do even less than Breckin Meyer and the other animal cast members resemble nothing like their comic-strip counterparts.

I was a little annoyed at seeing Garfield talk in the trailers but in the movie no humans can hear him or the other animals. There are some other things they have changed. Odie comes straight from the vet, though in the comic-strip he came from Jon's friend Lyman. Nermal does not appear to be Garfield's cousin and Arlene doesn't appear to be his girlfriend either.

The story of Garfield rescuing Odie from an 'evil' TV host is completely uneventful and nothing much happens around it. The ending is an unentertaining, unexciting anti-climax and disgustingly childish. I appreciate kid's stuff. I could watch 100 episodes of Sesame Street back to back. But this film was the most brain dead excuse for low, low-grade kid's entertainment in a long, long time. Jim Davis should be ashamed for allowing his wonderful creation to me made into such a lousy movie.

The 3 stars are for Garfield himself ONLY. Otherwise, without him, it's a hardcore 1-star experience. You wouldn't find Calvin and Hobbes behaving this way.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite a good kids movie.
jamiehill_uk24 July 2004
I don't see why people blast this movie so much. It is funny, well acted and well animated. Breckin Meyer plays the nerdy Jon very well and acts like the pet loving dork that we loved so much in the cartoon. Garfield looks amazing, almost identical to what he looked like in the cartoon. Bill Murray is perfect to play him and his voice is similar to Lorenzo Music. They included all the trates of Garfield- lasagne, TV and being a lazy fat cat. Thye kept Odie the moronic but lovable dog. They kept the fact that Garfield has an agreement with the mice and gets on with them. They kept Liz the vet, which brings so much more to Jon. This is a great kids movie, that i am sure adults who watched this as a kid will love too.
48 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garfield is as fat as ever...
Troy2Slick19 November 2004
I think that this movie accomplished what it set out to do. I don't know why so many people are hard against it. I think it's a very cute movie, beings that I grew up reading Garfield comic strips and watching Garfield and friends. I'm 26 and still am a kid at heart, what can I say, I love cutesy little movies such as this. It won't win any awards or anything, but I think it's great for the kiddies out there, or adults who still have a kid in them. I rate this move about a 6 out of 10. Not too shabby. If you're expecting a movie the calibur of Toy Story, Finding Nemo, them maybe this movie isn't for you. It's mainly for children or fans of Garfield. Rest in peace, Lorenzo Music, you will be missed and your voice matched perfectly for the loving fat orange cat we've all grown to love.
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and Delightful
claudio_carvalho26 December 2004
Jon Arbuckle (Breckin Meyer), the owner of Garfield, accepts the dog Odie as a gift from Garfield's veterinary Liz (Jennifer Love Hewitt) to impress her. Jon has had a crush on her since high school, and intends to use Odie to have a chance to date Liz. Garfield becomes jealous, leaves Odie outside the house along the night and the dog is abducted by Happy Chapman (Stephen Tobolowsky), who wants to use the dog in a show in New York. Garfield decides to rescue Odie back to Jon. First of all, I am suspect to write about Garfield, my favorite cartoon together with Hagar. I bought this DVD a couple of weeks ago, but when I saw the IMDb User Rating and the titles of some reviews, I thought that I had wasted my money. Today it is raining in Rio de Janeiro, and I decided to watch the movie, expecting a horrible film. What a good surprise, I liked it a lot. The story is very simple, but shows all the components of the cartoon: Garfield, very lazy, selfish, loving lasagnas, jealous, and having the voice of Bill Murray to give a very special touch to this fat cat. Odie is very sweet, but Breckin Meyer is weak in the role of Jon, and the delicious Jennifer Love Hewitt has a minor participation. A good entertainment, indicated for the whole family and fans of Garfield. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Garfield – O Filme" ("Garfield – The Movie")
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so bad, but....
luciano_cirne22 July 2006
As a huge fan of the laziest cat on Earth, I confess that I was really expecting too much of this movie, but when I watched it, I got a bit disappointed... "Garfield" is not a bad movie at all, but is far away than all the fans expected, for some reasons in particular:

First of all, this movie is basically for children. Anyone who read the original Garfield's comic books knows that his sarcastic humor is for all ages, not just for kids.

The second problem in my opinion maybe can divide some opinions, but let's go: Garfield is lazy, as we all know, but this is an action movie...and nothing is more anti-Garfield than action! I think that a comedy of situations based on all Garfield's countless books could be more interesting, his loyal legion of admires will certainly agree with my point of view.

But, after all, if you just want some fun for a while, this movie will entertain you. Bill Murray is great doing Garfield's voice, very faithful to his shameless and ironic personality. The rest of the cast is OK; a bit affected sometimes, specially Breckin Meyer (Jon Arbuckle), he looks a lot like the cartoon version of Garfield's owner, but I really think that he is exaggerated, always trying to look goofier and goofier... Well, whatever, I think that I must getting older and complaining about things that are not so serious. Kids will love "Garfield" and adults with child's heart will like it as well...at least, if you're not so hard to please as I am...
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much Better Than Led To Believe
tabuno24 January 2019
13 November 2004. From the critics and the box office, I was led to believe that this movie would be terrible. But as liked Garfield as a cartoon and television series, I took a chance. Perhaps it was my low expectations, but I found the movie entertaining with a good, consistent plot unlike most of Garfield's one liners and short brief attention span snippets that we're all used to. Instead this movie had at its core a wonderful storyline that brings together some of the developing history of Garfield, especially Odie.

The most problem I had with the movie was Bill Murray's own "voice" that intruded on the famous past versions I've seen and heard. Mr. Murray basically captured Garfield though and "The Incredibles" level of animation technology also helped, except for the glaring problems with live action-animation connections between Garfield and any live actor - the apparent special effects/continuity was a definite minus in my mind. Overall, though this movie version of Garfield was entertaining, funny, and solid on its values and humor. Unlike many choatic animated features that seem to go all over the place or no where, Garfield kept it focused and lively with Garfield like simplicity. Very Good, if not great, fantastic job! Seven out of Ten Stars.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A CUTE FUN LITTLE FAMILY FANTASY & NICE ESCAPISM.
lukem-5276014 March 2019
I grew up loving Garfield from young & even though i was like 21 yrs old when Garfield the movie came out i was still excited to see that fun loving orange cat brought to life on the big screen & with the added bonus of the comic genius Bill Murray doing his voice!!!! I genuinely liked the Garfield movie i know it was aimed more at young kids but the Garfield loving young boy in me did like it & thought it was good light hearted silly fun. Garfield looked cool for it's time back then in 2004 & Murray was the perfect choice for his sarcastic voice & even Breckin Meyer was fine as owner Jon & odie was fine as an actual real dog, i get why they did that so the main focus & money was spent on creating Garfield so that was a good choice.

Garfield's house was lovely in the movie & the neighbourhood was lovely too it had a nice comforting feel about it all & those surroundings fitted lovely into this movie world of Garfield. So yes no need to go fully into it as it's just a nice fun little family fantasy adventure about everyone's favourite Orange cat GARFIELD!!! A lovely charming little fun movie
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the critics say, but not the best idea
Jeff M.-311 June 2004

The problem, admittedly, is what some critics have said: Garfield is old and busted. A walk in the theater reveals the new hotness: Harry Potter. The movie is, sadly, 10 years overdue. Just look at the long listing of Garfield TV specials, most of which are 1982-1992, and "Garfield and Friends" began in 1988. It was delayed, I read, because Jim Davis believed the technology wasn't there. It was; it's called regular animation. Garfield is a 2-D medium, either on the comics page or on animated cels. But, I guess, since no one does that anymore, 2004 couldn't have a 2-D Garfield.

The problem is not with Garfield, although some of the characteristics displayed are not those I associate with the cat. The problem is with the supporting cast who look, by and large, not like their animated counterparts. Who made Odie a wiener dog with talent? Why is Nermal Siamese? Shouldn't Arlene be a lot nicer to Garfield? The set design, in bright hues, can't decide whether it's in the real world or in a real-life comic strip. Breckin "Inside Schwartz" Meyer is just not the right fit for Jon. While I can accept the whole high-school- crush of Jon and Liz on each other (something definitely not in the comic strip), the payoff might have been better had they not kissed after the dog show.

The plot arc is not necessarily departed from all of Garfield. It fits more in the mid-1980s, when the strip actually did have week-plus-long plots. In one series, for example, Odie DID leave home, and Garfield DID follow him, and they ended up running away from the circus together. The comments that the strip has declined are not off-base.

Today, Garfield is trapped in a one-day-only three-panel set of running gags that still make me laugh, but don't capture the same attitude of years past. However, I still prefer it to the overtly political ultra-liberal commentary found in strips like "Boondocks" or some others.

Had a full-length movie been released around 1994, done by the same animation team that did "Garfield and Friends," with Lorenzo Music doing the voice, it might have been wonderful. Live action does not suit the character; the departure from 25 years of what we have known is too much. The animated half-hour shows of the 1980s work so much better that they might have been able to make more money simply by scrapping the film and putting out DVDs. I hear "Garfield and Friends: The Complete First Season" is coming out, a TV show that captured the essence of the strip at its peak so much better than this movie did.

I wish that the networks would put "A Garfield Christmas" and some of his other specials back on the air. I still love the character. The movie doesn't deserve to be ranked where it is by the critics. At the same time, though, it reminds you of how good it might have been.

7/10, because I can't bring myself to demolish a character that still makes me laugh, even if his best work was from when I was young enough to be in the target audience.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is what it is
briancham19947 July 2020
This film rests on its titular character who is at times endearing and at times annoying. Garfield walks a fine line between these extremes and sometimes misses the mark. Overall, it's a decent film, but perhaps let down by the inconsistency of that cat.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's A Kids Movie For Crying Out Loud!
boysailor21 October 2009
All I can say is my son and daughter find this movie hilariously funny and they sat to the whole movie from beginning to end.

My kids rarely sit on the whole movie, yes, they rarely do, unless it's Blue's Clues, Dora or at times Barney the dinosaur.

Given that, again, it's a kids' movie and leave it to the kids.

The kids love it and let they be the judge.

I review movies before letting my children watch it.

Yes, just to make sure that it is "really suitable for children".

Making sure the movie is not boring and does not have to be very disturbing to the kids.

My kids loved it and I recommend it to parents like me.

Is it 10 lines, yet? I'm asking caused I got this error the first time I submitted my comment: "Your comment does not contain enough lines - the minimum length for comments is 10 lines of text."

Okay, I guess it is.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and well done
Emerenciano27 July 2004
I don't care if "Garfield" is clearly directed to children. I'm 28 years old and I really enjoyed this film. It's funny and well done. I loved the way they made the protagonist by computer technology. It's beautiful! We can see some little mistakes in the computerized animal, especially when people carry him on the lap. But it doesn't make the film bad! No way! It's just a small detail in the whole thing. The plot is a little simple. But again we must say the movie is for children, so the plot can't be considered bad. I loved the facial expressions Garfield shows. Man,they're great. It's impossible not to smile as the story goes on. Garfield is friendly and his dancing is a big reason to laugh.

My Rate 7/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Death to Mondays!
arbucklejon22 July 2019
This is a moving and glorious documentary about our Lord and savior. May his lasagna always be warm and bountiful. Death to Mondays!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not too bad
stevenfallonnyc29 June 2004
Honestly, "Garfield" wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, Garfield himself is a pretty bad computer-animation of the cat and looks not much like him at all. And Odie the dog isn't "Garfield-ish" looking as in the strip, he's a real dog (except when he's doing silly things that need more crappy computer animation).

There are actually some decent funny moments, nothing earth-shattering but pleasant enough. Garfield's buddies are pretty funny, especially the mouse, he's hilarious. It seemed as if the movie was repeating the same animations of the mouse which made it even funnier because it looked so cheesy.

The guy who played Jon did well enough with what he was given, and while he was afraid to go after his dream girl, he was in no way the loser that Jon is in the comic strip. And of course there is Jennifer Love Hewitt, who is totally gorgeous and hot in a weird way, her great body giving the guys in the crowd something to admire if they were forced to bring their wife and kids to the show.

A few other things I noticed is that Garfield has a LOT of lines. He never seems to shut up. He sure speaks a lot more than in the strip! He's also a lot mellower than the original Garfield when the strip first appeared in 1978. Back then, Garfield used to do things like knock furniture over just to make Jon angry, and go after Odie with a baseball bat. Of course he's mellow in the strip nowadays and that's the Garfield we see on the big screen, although the old one would have been a lot more fun to watch.

The nastiest thing about this film is the electric torture dog collar, which is nothing any true lover of animals would ever use or condone the use of (unless a pit bull is ripping your kid's face apart).

Also, there aren't many humans who have speaking lines, which is a shame because you want Jennifer Love Hewitt on screen as much as possible. Except for an old lady, she's the only female in the film I believe. But Garfield is the star here of course, and he knows it too.

Being such a big cat person, I was laughing when Garfield was referring to Odie (and dogs in general) as dumb and smelly, because love or hate them, that's what dogs are. But as a true trooper, Garfield shows you must love all animals, even dumb and smelly ones like Odie. Heck, even the rats came through for the cause.

So if you like anti-dog jokes and crappy computer animation, along with a funny little story and Jennifer Love Hewitt's body, this is the film for you.
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and Memorable Movie i Watched Garfield is Funny!
milesrob-17260129 March 2019
I Just Remember this movie! and Wow it Came out in 2004 the Same year Spider-Man 2 did and the SpongeBob Squarepants Movie and Shrek 2. I Remember when i really a Little kid I watched and got the movie I Think Garfield the Movie wasn't that bad I loved it even back then. Not bad at all

Garfield is Funny Cat! who is obsessed with Lasagna of course! and Jon Garfield's owner is great played by Breckin Meyer did a excellent role for Jon. in my opinion.

Stop hating on Garfield He's just a Cat living his own little world! and Don't even get me started on that dog Odie! but Loved this movie.