The Evil Within (2017) Poster

Not Everybody Will Like This Film; Though, I Highly Recommend Watching It.
stephenabell17 May 2017
This is a special movie, not just because it's a brilliant and original horror movie, but because of the story behind the making of the film.

The writer and director Andrew Getty started this film back in 2002 when it was titled "The Storyteller" and was released in 2017 under the current title, two years after Getty's death due to an ulcer causing internal bleeding. This is a shame as he spent so much money on the project and wasn't around to see his creation brought to life... or take credit for it.

The story is about a mentally handicapped man, Dennis (expertly portrayed by Frederick Koehler), living in his brother's, John (Sean Patrick Flannery), care. Dennis is plagued by twisted and dark nightmares for which a tall grey man claims responsibility. Then one day John and his girlfriend, Lydia (Dina Meyer) bring home a mirror for Dennis' bedroom. Dennis hates the mirror as he doesn't want to loose his hamsters like he's lost his comic collection. However, his decision changes when his reflection starts talking to him and offers him a way to get better... to get smarter...

It was the trailer that had me salivating at the thought of watching the film. However, be aware the movie isn't how it looks on the trailer. Instead of an exciting run-of-the-mill horror what Getty gives his audience is a deep and powerful insight into the human psyche and not just through Dennis, but all of the other characters have some kind of dysfunction. John is hiding a secret. Lydia has relationship issues. Even Pete (Tim Bagley) - who is only in the film a few minutes - hates people touching him and invading his person space.

The film can even be taken a couple of ways. It could be a very dark psychological thriller or it could be a supernatural entity possession, making it a horror. It works in either genre.

The star of the show is Frederick Koehler as Dennis. He is brilliant at portraying the character, giving him facial ticks, body form, hand gestures, and a speech impediment. His acting is really believable and draws the audience into the film more. However, it's Flannery's and Meyer's characters that appear flat at times, a little too dimensional and wooden; I think this may be the characters they were playing or the direction at the time of the scenes, as both of them are good actors. It just jars the mood and atmosphere at times and this is a bad thing as the movie depends on mood and atmosphere, which Getty builds beautifully. It's also great to see Michael Berryman again.

This film reminds me of Phantasm in its essence and spirit, and like Phantasm I will gladly watch this film again... and again... and, probably, again... There are a lot of interesting and well thought out concepts in this story, which should send a chill down your spine. However, if you prefer shock horror over creepy and atmospheric then this probably won't be your cup of tea.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre, yet amusingly twisted.....
jpowell18022 March 2017
This film was quite unexpected; it appears to have been filmed over a decade ago (Matthew McGrory has a "Tiny" cameo, but the actor died in 2005); Dina Meyer looks like she was fresh out of Starship Troopers, and the televisions appear to be old Sony Trinitron Wega tube TV's.

In the film we have what appears to be a mentally challenged man in his 30s who lives with the older brother who caused his impediment by punching him when he was six, thus sending him reeling down the stairs, resulting in brain damage.

Big brother feels an obligation to care for his little brother, who is a tad difficult to take care of.

Little brother (who was a prodigy genius child until his brain was damaged) starts seeing his reflection in the mirror start to talk to him, and tell him to do bad things - this, he is assured, will make him smart.

He is told that he must kill his neighbor's cat, and that this is perfectly OK as people eat meat, which is supposed to be a "clue" that it is OK to kill all animals, and that the rule against killing pets is "a fake rule", and is told to learn taxidermy.

One amazing line from the evil mirror twin - "Grab another doggie from the cooler." He soon is told by his evil reflection that he must now kill a child - he reluctantly does so, and eventually graduates to killing adults.

The ending is quite zany, and it's important to also note that the late director (who was a wealthy heir to the Getty oil fortune) was a meth addict who died in 2015, so it's plausible that some of the film was shot while he was under the influence.

This film is worth watching, if only for the sheer mind-twisting absurdity - there really is nothing quite like it out there.
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
farchettiensis18 July 2017
Found it at random, and decided to give it a watch, as the storyline picked my attention. Being a horror movie veteran, I know ratings are not trustworthy, so I tend to ignore them (I'd think that there may be at least 2 points of error in the ratings in horror movies).

It turned out to be quite a surprise. At first, it won't look like a big deal. One of the characters may come across as a little tiring and the acting may seem to be going a bit over the top. Although I did not find acting brilliant, it was good overall, and my first impressions dispelled. I believe that, rather than acting, it was the bad text written for a couple of scenes that caused me discomfort.

At any rate, the movie is quite dark and it grew on me. The disturbing dreams, which seems to interweave with reality, gradually throwing a fragile person out of balance, and the quite unusual narrative. The way the move progresses fascinated me; it's dark, disturbing, and verisimilar. The character plunges further into a path he can longer emerge from; he is no longer himself, but is a captive in his own body. The symbolism used pleased me.

The disturbing characters that sprang as the movie neared it's conclusion were fascinating. From one point, I was confused as to whether it was a dream of the characters, an other-worldly dimension, or simply a quite disturbing reality.

My sole disappointment was the writer felt he should he resort to Christian clichés to describe evil ("legion"). I wish writers were more creative in this respect. If they can't find words to describe evil, they should not use words. After all, that's one advantage of movies.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite good!
fil-nik0927 June 2017
This film is so much better that the rating below 6 !

It is interesting from the 1st second til the last one - you can not say that for many films. The opening of the film was very unusual that it is almost like a fairy tale setting in an eerie land...but I think the one thing about this film that stands out is really the setting of the whole film! The fact that you can not say for sure what is a dream - if it is a dream - and what is reality - if there is reality - is what makes this film so much better than many others of any genre.

The main character is just phenomenal in his role! Really, his acting is worth a 10 alone. His brother is quite good too and the woman from social. The fiancée was rather so-so...

To me this is not a horror movie - though it certainly does have elements of horror and creatures that are mostly found in horror ones - but more of psychological monologue/dialogue between your 'two selves'.

Anyway, really interesting, really entertaining film. 9 from me, though it is close to 10!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly good on its own, incredible in context.
labbe-3531921 April 2017
On its own, it was fairly good; not very much to say since I couldn't help but think about the context. The ending was a little confusing, but if you saw the movie you'd probably be surprised if it wasn't confusing.

Now for the context. No one's first film is great or even good, but this was a very good first effort from the writer-director and I think it showed a great natural artistic capability that a longer career would have honed. I was amazed at how good this was for a first film and it's tragic to think there will never be another movie from this clearly gifted artist.

That being said, if I didn't know the backstory behind the film, I probably wouldn't have sought it out, let alone even heard of it, and it's better to judge a film on its own rather than the context around its making. I acknowledge that I had a bias going into this movie as I went in knowing the tragic story of the writer-director, but the bias should not be judged too harshly as I've gone into many movies wanting them to be good and that's never stopped me from judging them to be bad if they were indeed bad. While The Evil Within is not great, it's certainly memorable. 6/10 might not sound like a good rating, but I prefer a 4-star scale, with 2 stars being average, not bad but not exactly memorable, and 3 stars being good, and this movie's in between, so my rating is 2.5/4 stars. A not exactly good but certainly memorable movie, and an incredible first and only film from an untapped talent.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely Worth the Viewing
arfdawg-110 May 2017
The plot. The sadistic tale of a lonely, mentally handicapped boy who befriends his reflection in an antique mirror.

This demonic creature orders him to go on a murderous rampage to kill the people he loves most.

To appreciate this movie, I suspect you need to know something of the back story.

It was written, directed and financed by a reclusive heir to the Getty fortune who plowed millions into this movie but ultimately ran out of funds! Apparently he bought all the equipment instead of renting it and had meth addict dreams of becoming a movie mogul.

It's a really bizarre movie and it's hard to take your eyes off it. I think it could only be made by someone super high who was also very creative.

The movie gets increasingly odd and surreal as it progresses. But you won't be able to turn away. Getty's death was as weird as this movie. Only in Hollywood could any of this happen.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Flawed to be a Classic, but Worth a Watch
kevandeb28 May 2017
It is such as tough movie to critique after one viewing. It is without doubt a flawed attempt, but the concept makes it worth a viewing. it is not a gore fest, but more of a mind bender, or at least tries to be. I applaud the effort and concept, but it lacks in a few key areas. Some basic details are forgotten and the continuity is stuttering, having said all that it is a film you want to like and this is probably due to the lead character giving a good performance, whilst others in the cast struggle.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
marvelous Frederick Koehler
buddrus20 May 2017
This is my first review after being with IMDb for much more than ten years. I don't like horror movies. And honestly I'm not stuck to the movie due to the plot, the visuals or the tension. I'm stuck to it due to the performance of its main actor: Frederick Koehler. Incredible, remarkable, overwhelming are just a few word for it. You have to see him acting! It's breathtaking!
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
now this is a HORROR film, people! Possible mild spoilers...
awaitinredemtion4 July 2017
I went into this one with reeeeally low expectations. First- because it looks kinda cheesy and reminded me of Mirror,Mirror (1990) a movie I would like to forget. Second- because I just finished watching a painfully bad horror movie on Amazon Prime (yes, Fortune Cookie-I am talking about you) and Amazon Prime has burned me many times. But this one was free and short so what the heck.

So I usually watch a movie because it has one of my fav actors in it. If I like an actor I support all of their projects-even the crappy stuff. That's why if I ever meet Ryan Merriman, he owes me $4.99 plus tax for Fortune Cookie. This movie drew me because of Sean Patrick Flanery- who I've always liked even though he's been in some serious crappola. But he's always solid in my opinion, and he was solid in this. I think his character could have expressed a tad more horror in the end, because I would have been screaming my lungs out and vomiting profusely in his situation- but I don't know, maybe men are more stoic.

The other lead is Dina Meyer, who coincidentally was also in Fortune Cookie. I usually think she's a weak actress, but this is probably the best work I've seen her do. Not sayin' she was good, but not terrible either.

And now to the STAR of the movie-Frederik Koehler. Wow, was he ever amazing. He seriously knocked it out of the park. Cute little Chip, from Kate & Allie?!?!? Really?!?! You will love him, hate him, and pity him.

So other people have already gone over the plot, I will just say that I did not see where this was going and I watch a ton of horror movies. At times I was confused, at times I was a little bored (early on), and then it became more and more disturbing until the what-the-hell-am-I-watching ending when everything hit the fan. Secrets are revealed, people including children come to a terrible end, and even though when it's over you may not fully understand everything that just happened, it's pretty freakin' disturbing and unforgettable.

Maybe this movie doesn't deserve 9 stars because it is definitely flawed, but it has stayed with me and few movies do these days. It is original and creative and really kinda awesome.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some good visual ideas but uneven on the whole
Red-Barracuda21 April 2017
A mentally handicapped young man lives with his older brother. The older sibling has guilt in that he was responsible for an incident leading to his brother's condition. One day he buys him a large antique mirror which unfortunately turns out to be an evil artefact that talks to the little brother from another dimension, imploring him to commit horrendous acts.

Quite amazingly, this movie was filmed over a period of fifteen years, which is a huge time period to focus on one project and which is not really at all obvious from the finished film. The director was Andrew Getty who was one of the heirs to the Getty family fortune, this allowed him to plough millions of his own money into the film but he seems to have been a troubled individual and ended up dying before the film was released. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure the end results justify the huge amount of time that was invested in this project. It certainly has some good Lovecraftian imagination at times, with some imaginative macabre imagery and creatures but I felt it was held back somewhat by the central performance of Frederick Koehler as the disturbed brother, who I found quite grating throughout. The story in general is okay but not especially remarkable, the strengths of this one lie mainly with some of its visual ideas which are often successfully surreal and nightmarish. On the whole, there are some worthwhile ideas interwoven into this one but I thought it to be a bit uneven on the whole.
13 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a mess of a film.
bobsucre2 July 2017
I'm an avid horror fan and I've seen some pretty terrible films in my 35 years. This film takes the cake for being one of, If not the worst I've ever come across. The acting is beyond deplorable. The dialogue is laughable. Other reviews would have you believe this is some sort of misunderstood masterpiece, it is not. I'm left wondering how something so atrocious could be made and be so highly favored. I would strongly suggest passing this one up unless you don't mind wasting an hour and a half of your life.
14 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gaze into the abyss
vasiln11 June 2017
Developmentally disabled Koehler's nightmares become real when his worm-tongued doppelganger starts whispering him evil advice.

I read IMDb reviews before watching The Evil Within, but none of them quite prepared me. Yes, this is a strangely amateur production at times, but in none of the ways that I would have anticipated, and there are many times when it surpasses professional standards.

One of the stand-out features of The Evil Within is the quality of the effects. These are nearly flawless, but more, they're integrated seamlessly into the film, neither over- nor underused. There's a combination of perfectly executed digital mirror effects and what appears to be stop-motion animation.

Koehler's performance-- in conjunction with the direction-- is praiseworthy. He spends much of the movie speaking with his doppelganger through a mirror's glass, sequences in which Koehler plays two very different characters. It comes through cleanly and powerfully. Camera work during these sequences is dynamic and creative.

At the same time, the overall plot is a bit weak, the climax stilted, and Flanery and Brown's supporting performances occasionally dip into the Lifetime Movie bracket. Which, it should be said, is not the lowest bracket of acting....

The Evil Within is a great movie, and I would have loved to have seen more from Getty. While the last half of the film is uneven, the first half is breathtaking. It's too bad that this is all we'll ever get, but I'd recommend you give it a look.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost unbearable.
missaliceandro13 June 2017
It takes an actor of exceptional quality to portray someone with a handicap....

This films sorry cast in combination with the over use of fancy, fifty-cent words, make it almost impossible to sit through. Watch at your own risk. Why did this happen.
9 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Alternate Version Of Shyamalan's Split(2016).
Vivekmaru4510 November 2017
I was pleasantly surprised to see my favorite actor Sean Patrick Flanery who starred in the hit TV 1991 series P.S. I Love You opposite Connie Sellecca. All the time I was thinking who is this handsome actor? Then It clicked - he was in this TV series I saw in my youth, opposite another beautiful actress. How time flies...

Back to the film: it's about a demonic entity specializes in possessing mentally challenged individuals. Frederick Koehler plays Dennis who mentally handicapped. One day he stares at an antique mirror and befriends his reflection. Unknowingly, he becomes possessed by a demonic entity bound to that antique mirror.

The demonic entity tell Dennis to do unspeakable things. Sean Patrick Flanery plays Dennis's bother John. Dennis confides to John about his problems but he ignores him. Dina Meyer another veteran actress plays Lydia, John's girlfriend.

Michael Berryman who has starred in a lot of horror B class movies is a cult status actor. He best known for his creepy performance as "Pluto" in the uncompromising Wes Craven horror film The Hills Have Eyes (1977). Frederick Koehler does an outstanding job portraying a mentally challenged individual who is in torment as he is unable to tell about the demonic entity possessing him and telling him to commit atrocities. Flanery and Meyer do good supporting roles for Koehler's character.

I personally think that the script of the film was not good enough. The special effects are good so are the sound-effects. Photography is also professionally handled. Andrew Getty does mot take an effort to make the film more engrossing. So this film can be categorized as a passable watch.

Movies based on possession The Exorcist(1973), Burnt Offerings(1976), The Amityville Horror(1979), The Evil Dead(1981), The Thing(1982), Witchboard(1986), The Hidden(1987), Prince of Darkness(1987), Night of the Demons(1988), Shocker(1989), C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D. (1989), The Borrower(1991), Clown(2014).

These above movies are a good guide to horror movies and make a good horror movie collection.

Thank you for reading my review, live long and prosper.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like others who stated, surprisingly good
angeladenis8 October 2018
The first 5 minutes kind of grabs you and then Koehler keeps you reeled in. Phenomenal job done! The show would not have worked without him. Storyline doesn't make sense but in this movie that seems to work. I went in with zero expectations and ended up liking the film.
Fantastically terrible...
jmb-6808529 July 2018
This movie was absolutely not what I expected having watched it without ever seeing a trailer or reading reviews on it. This movie will strain your mind and perception. I would have liked to give it a higher score but it is what it is. You can't help but feel sorry for the characters in this film as they're all just along for the ride. Lots of imagination in the script, well developed characters for the most part, and lots of eye-opening ideas for what hollywood could pull off if they had the nerve. If you're a horror fan it's a definite watch otherwise you probably won't get much out of it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very original and twister.
dannyrange26 February 2018
A young mentally handicapped boy who lives with his older brother life begins to crumple after he's brother brings him an antique mirror in his room, and a old demon who lives in it demend he do evil things to his family. The Evil Within is a very sadistic and twistic tale of loneliness and how it is to be different in this world. What I liked the most about this film is it's originality, and what limit the director is ready to go. The young Frederick Koehler, is really greati in this film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So very nearly a cult classic
lukeshulver22 February 2018
Brilliant special effects and avant garde theatrics - this movie comes ever so close to being an instant cult classic. The brilliant, but ultimately annoying portrayal of the mentally retarded and easily manipulated Dennis puts the other poor acting and awkward scenes to shame however it does show an insidious subculture of deliberate manipulation and entrapment under the guise of a Tales from the Crypt style presentation. This could have been truly great.
weird one
trashgang16 January 2018
I came across this one because so many well known names of the genre are in this. Dina Meyer, Sean Patrick Flanery and Michael Berryman. Of course that doesn't say a thing about tthe flick but I went for it and even as some do tear this down I licked it very much.

It's not your ususal horror flick because it do has almost no red stuff in it and the effects do remind me more of Asian horrors than the normal effects. For me the acting of Frederick Koehler as the retarded Dennis was top notch. He does play the retarded one as the vicious reflection in the mirror of Dennis.

It's a slow builder but I was attracted to the screen from minute one until the end. Not you ususal flick but a very weird one full of mirrors and rare scene's.

Gore 0,5/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
Annoying and Boring
claudio_carvalho5 December 2017
The mentally handicapped thirty year-old man Dennis (Frederick Koehler) lives with his older brother John (Sean Patrick Flanery). When John decorates his room with an antique mirror, Dennis has nightmares and finds evil in his reflection. His reflected image forces him to kill people including his beloved ice-cream seller Susan (Brianna Brown) and Dennis becomes a serial-killer. Meanwhile John's girlfriend Lydia (Dina Meyer) decides to move in together with John and Dennis ignoring the threat of her brother-in-law. What will happen to them?

"The Evil Within" is an overrated horror film with a pretentious messed up screenplay. Despite the cast with Dina Meyer and Sean Patrick Flanery, the result is an annoying and boring film with an absurd conclusion. My vote is one (awful).

Title (Brazil): Not Available
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too smart a movie for the average viewer?
hholthusen16 November 2017
This movie is sophisticated and surreal; it is not quite a horror movie. Its poor rating on rotten tomatoes is unsurprising, likely a result of its very insensitive handling of the issue of mental disability. The relatively low IMDb rating is a bigger surprise - I suppose it overtaxes the average user intellectually.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been better with more effort and budget.
deloudelouvain30 January 2018
With the story of The Evil Within you could definitely make a better movie. That was certainly not the bad part of the movie. It's just the execution, sometimes the acting, and the low budget they spent on special effects that make this horror movie just an average movie. Frederick Koehler as Dennis, the mentally handicapped boy, had his ups and downs with his character. Sometimes it was believable but sometimes it wasn't that good. The rest of the cast was just average as well. The soundtrack could also be much better for a horror movie. Sound effects are a major part of any good horror movie and here it lacks some good sounds. The creepy stuff was okay, sometimes even good, but with a bit more budget on those things it could have been much better. All in all it's not the worst movie I ever saw but it's definitely not a movie I would watch again in the future.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of 2017
shoughton-2817530 December 2017
Honestly I have watched and watched this movie and it amazes me every time. Lead character is just so brilliant. in my opinion takes place of dustin Hoffman in rainman.. It will leave you guessing and always leave a doubt in your mind. Only one word Amazing.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting If Uneven Film
jadflack-2213015 October 2017
If nothing else,this is an original from a tormented drug addicted director, whose only film this was.It is a cross between " Nightmare On Elm Street" and "Psycho". It's a disturbing film without showing you that much. The special effects are sparsely used but effective when they are. Michael Berryman is ideally cast but not in it that much. A truly original film about madness and torment, uneven in places and not exactly a masterpiece but probably will become a cult film.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't consider the same feeling with the topic of the film!
ozlemk-9355226 December 2017
Unfortunately, the film was really below my expectations. Always sorry to make a bad review about the movies but this is not what the poster and the feeling of the film was expected....
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.