Starsky & Hutch (2004) Poster

Great Sunday Hangover Film
toffeesi5 February 2007
Hand on heart I did not want to watch this film. Although I grew up with the TV series and really enjoyed it, when the film was released I have to say that I was not keen, I can not put my finger on why, perhaps it was Stiller, who, Something About Mary apart, has never really done it for me. But what ever the reason, it remained unveiwed.

That was 2004 - Xmas 2006 and I get DVD vouchers, so In the January sales off I go to see what I can get, I do quite well, but have £3 remaining, I have 2 or 3 to chose from 2 I have already seen, and Starsky & Hutch.....So I bought it.......yet still it was unwatched until yesterday.......hungover and feeling a little lazy I needed something to pass the time that was easy to watch, funny, and not too taxing.....so on it goes.

How surprised was I then when after only a few minutes I was giggling away. Stiller was actually entertaining and I was enjoying watching him, Mr Wilson was very good and I got the vibe that the characters gelled as the ones in the TV series did. Vaughan was a good baddie, and Snoop was hight entertaining if not as camp Huggy Bear! All in all this is a good solid comedy film, not brilliant don't get me wrong, but worth a watch.
35 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun entertaining movie.
Boba_Fett113810 August 2005
Of all the recent buddy-cop movies, released lately this is one of the better ones.

Biggest strength of this movie is in the two main characters played by Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. They are such a great screen duo together and have some great team chemistry on the screen. The movie is filled with many other great comical talented actors such as; Vince Vaughn as the main villain, Snoop Dogg and Will Ferrell and some smaller roles for famous names such as; Chris Penn, Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis.

But the movie is more then just an ordinary buddy-movie, it also is a priceless parody of '70's TV-shows in general. It uses some of the same camera-positions and style of editing at times, especially in the action sequences. But also the way of acting, dialog and costumes perfectly spoof all those silly '70 TV-series. I'm not sure if everybody catch or understood this but I really laughed out loud at some moments.

The comedy can be put in the category silly, so this movie is clearly not suitable for everyone. The humor is really over-the-top but I for one really enjoyed that. The characters are really silly but the professional comedy actors portray them extremely well and likable.

A perfectly fun comedy to kill some time with.

35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great melding of traditional 1970s flicks and Stiller/Wilson
BrandtSponseller8 February 2005
David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is a by-the-book cop who thinks nothing about destroying thousands of dollars of property to apprehend a mugger who has stolen only a few dollars. Ken Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is the complete opposite--it seems the only reason he has become a cop is that it makes a life of crime much easier. Captain Doby (Fred Williamson) can't stand either of them, but hits upon the brilliant idea of pairing them. When they begin investigating a murder that has ties to a prominent millionaire, the best qualities of each just might start influencing the other.

Although I always wait to read others' reviews and comments until I've seen a film and written my own review (I do not want to be swayed or influenced in any way by other opinions), I can imagine that quite a few people would not like Starsky and Hutch. To really enjoy it, one would have to alter their expectations to what director Todd Phillips has chosen to deliver instead--a clever film that is both an absurdist spoof and a respectful, faithful homage at the same time. Creating that combination is a difficult feat, but Phillips was largely successful.

The combination means that Starsky and Hutch is not aiming to be over-the-top hilarious, and it's also not aiming to be overly consistent with the characters and tone of the original pilot film and series. Viewers expecting either are likely to be a bit disappointed. However, if you're a fan of gritty 1970s films as well as a fan of Stiller and Wilson's usual material, you should find much to love here.

Phillips has remarkably captured the look and feel of a typical 1970s film. The costumes, hairstyles, and overall production design are also perfect for a subtle spoof on the 1970s, and given the source material, even the plot has the slightly formulaic, slightly hokey, almost made-for-television feel that is appropriate for this genre. You know they're on the right track when Fred Williamson--star of such blaxploitation masterpieces as Hammer (1972), Black Caesar (1973) and Mean Johnny Barrows (1976)--has a prominent supporting role. The 1970s spoof/homage aspect is far more understated and reverential than you'd normal expect from a Stiller film, but easy to like and understand.

Other outstanding supporting roles are played by Vince Vaughn, Snoop Dogg, Will Ferrell and Juliette Lewis, all except Dogg slightly out of character, but just as enjoyable and funny as always, as they're all somewhat faithfully filling traditional 1970s roles. Dogg is the most in character, as he has long been deferential to that era, anyway.

The film hinges, of course, on Stiller and Wilson, and true to form, Stiller is still a somewhat oblivious buffoon with Wilson as a hipper, more streetwise buffoon. Grafting their comedy personae onto the Starsky and Hutch characters was more easily done and natural than anyone might have thought, and provides a highly amusing 100 minutes, even if it's a bit of an acquired taste and not likely to be understood quite as well by future generations.
73 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny (and entertaining!) send-up of the cop-buddy formula
MovieAddict201615 July 2004
A funny and thoroughly enjoyable spin on the overused cop-buddy formula, "Starsky and Hutch" is one of the most entertaining films of 2004 -- even if it's nothing more than just that.

With a fair share of laugh-out-loud moments, and more than a handful of in-joke references to '70s pop culture (including the original source material: "Starsky and Hutch" the TV show), it also boasts a fine comedic cast with talented performers: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Snoop Dogg, Chris Penn, Amy Smart and some uncredited cameos by the likes of Will Ferrell -- and yes, even the original Starsky and Hutch. But their shared appearance is one best left open. ("I get a good vibe from these guys," the younger Hutch exclaims in one of the film's most savory self-referential moments.)

The film takes place in Bay City, "sometime during the '70s," when David Starsky (Stiller) -- a by-the-numbers police officer who spends his entire day chasing small-time crooks -- is paired up with a new partner, the reckless Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Wilson). Starsky and Hutch don't get along at first -- their mixed personalities collide, resulting in uncomfortable tension. Placed on an assignment involving an alleged drug lord (Vaughn), who has managed to create undetectable cocaine, Starsky and Hutch find themselves in a number of awkward situations: getting a statement by Big Earl (Ferrell), a dragon-obsessed inmate with some major issues; the usual tidbits of information from Huggy Bear (Dogg), a friend and informant of Hutch's; and of course the mandatory romantic subplot involving a pair of sexy cheerleaders.

The contrast of Starsky and Hutch is handled deliberately blunt: this comedy isn't as much a victim of the cop-buddy genre as it is a dead-on spoof. Hutch is a self-described "realist" -- during his introductory sequence he is shown fleeing the scene of a robbery with a stash of money. We assume he is undercover, and that's what he tells the cops when they try to arrest him. However, he's just using his badge as an excuse to commit crimes -- and get away with them.

I asked myself if it was as possible as the film implies, but then the Constantly Yelling and/or Upset Police Captain (another clichéd role that happens to show up in all these movies) tells Hutch that it's the seventh time he's been arrested for robbery, and Hutch tells him that he's undercover -- trying to work his way in through the criminal underground. The joke, of course, is that we find out the robberies are all totally unrelated and bear no significant to a criminal underground of any kind.

There are a few sequences in the movie that deserve a description of their own, such as when Starsky accidentally consumes a large amount of cocaine and works himself into an ultimate-high-frenzy, battling on the disco floor of a nightclub for short-lived glory. After his opponent is unjustly awarded the gold medal, Starsky pulls out his gun and from there on the entire situation escalates into one of those scenes that -- like parts of Stiller's "There's Something About Mary" -- last on in viewers' minds even after the film itself fades away. The sort of sequence you might chuckle about to yourself as you drive home and recall certain moments from the film.

Stiller and Wilson -- presently two of Hollywood's most famous odd couples who have united together for a number of projects over the years -- are always likable in their films and nothing changes here. Wilson uses his sarcastic quips to an advantage, coming across as the smoother of the two, whereas Starsky is the bumbling and self-conscious idiot who is both over-protective and over-zealous.

The movie is at its best when it is cleverly satirizing the genre. Most of these films always include a sequence where the police captain will suspend the movie's protagonist and frown on him, saying something cheesy like, "Your father, who spent years on the force and was one of the highest-decorated officers, would be ashamed of you!" Instead, the police captain tells Starsky that his mother would be ashamed of him. And then after being suspended, Starsky takes a visit to his mother's grave and places a glazed donut on the headstone (she was the highly decorated cop in the family, apparently).

The film was directed by Todd Phillips, whose resume includes such raunchy efforts at comedy as the crude-but-enjoyable "Road Trip" and surprising "Old School." The latter film starred Ferrell and Vaughn and contained a cameo appearance by Snoop Dogg (as himself), so obviously these guys enjoyed working with Phillips and, I'm sure, agreed to contribute to this movie just for the heck of it.

The result is a very goofy, entertaining summer flick that never tries too hard and invariably never falls too hard, either. It does fall sometimes, but even then it usually takes its screw-ups with a pinch of salt. This is the sort of movie worth the price of admission -- just to sit back, forget your worries, and watch a couple of clowns bumble their way through an enjoyable farce of the '70s. It's not the kind of movie you'll be talking about after you see it -- just a simple popcorn flick. If you're out and about and you happen to stumble into a theater showing this film, you'll find your money well spent. I won't praise "Starsky and Hutch" for being a brilliant tongue-in-cheek spoof of the cop-buddy films -- I'll merely say that, for what it is, "Starsky and Hutch" is well-made and funny -- a surprisingly simple movie that is everything it pretends to be. The majority of films that use this approach suffer because they fall victim to their targets, especially most released this year, but where the others have failed "Starsky and Hutch" succeeds.
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
immaculately produced 70s light comedy homage
Chris_Docker7 April 2004
The tale of two oddball police detectives who have a habit of getting stuck in awkward situations even with the best of intentions. Starsky (Ben Stiller) is very much by-the-book – embarrassingly so – whereas Hutch has a laid back rather ‘hippy' approach to the rules. One of the films great strengths is that it plays on satire and keeps the action secondary. The two main characters are ably aided and abetted by Huggy Bear (Snoop Dogg) and, although there is a big-drugs-bust plotline, the movie's main intention seems to be to make a homage to the style and clichés of certain 70s filmmaking (and the original TV show); car chases, for instance, focus on tongue-in-cheek action rather than adrenalin, and the cops' love of empty-headed curvaceous women combined with a homophobia towards each other and gay men is portrayed laughingly as an echo of the attitudes of the times rather than appealing to those sentiments. Not the sort of comedy I expected to enjoy so much personally, but I quickly warmed to this movie and found the feelgood factor continued unabated till the end.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really fun buddy cop flick with a lot of laughs
ScottDMenzel24 February 2004
Starsky and Hutch was a film I was really looking forward to. I think Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller have great on screen chemistry and I really liked the last film they did together in 2001 entitled Zoolander. Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson make a great comedic team so when I heard about Starsky and Hutch starring both of them I was hooked immediately. The bad news for me however was the fact this film was being directed by the guy who made road trip & old school, Todd Phillips. I didn't really care for neither one of them per say. But I was willing to give him a chance with this film. And as it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of Starsky and Hutch.

So tonight I caught the sneak preview of Starsky and Hutch at 7:30pm. The movie was packed to the gills. Yours truly had to sit in the front row, which I wasn't thrilled about. But there was nothing else at the theater to see so I figured what the hell I will make my neck suffer for the next two hours. Well the movie started about 5 minutes after I got in the theater.

Starsky and Hutch as I'm sure everyone knows is based on a buddy cop TV show from the 70s. The movie is pretty much the same thing. Starsky (Ben Stiller) & Hutch (Owen Wilson) are partners who are determined to bust their biggest case ever. Reese Feldman (Vince Vaughn) is a drug dealer who is planning one huge drug deal but soon Starsky and Hutch are right on his trail thanks to the help of their pal Huggy Bear (Snoop Dog). A lot of funny mishaps, spoofs of the original TV series, and overall a very enjoyable film ensue.

Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson like I mentioned above are a match made in heaven. They are both two funny guys who work great as a team. Vince Vaughn was very good here as the villain in the film. He had the whole rich playboy thing going, it was very entertaining. Snoop Dog was also very enjoyable as Huggy Bear. He delivered a nice sum of laughs and for once wasn't a completely pointless character. Amy Smart who played Holly in the film along with Carmen Electra who played Staci where both good as Starsky & Hutch's love interests. Even the original Starsky & Hutch, Paul Michael Glaser & David Soul make an amusing cameo appearance.

This film was written by three people and all of which I wouldn't think could create such a funny and interesting script like this. John O'Brien who wrote Cradle 2 the Grave with DMX & Jet Li, Todd Phillips who wrote road trip & old school, and Scot Armstrong who also wrote road trip & old school wrote the film as a team. As I said earlier I am quite surprised that the film turned out so well. I must actually applaud all of the three men who wrote this film. There were some really clever and classic moments in the film. The dialog was very good and the characters were very well formed. I enjoyed the script a lot.

Thank you Todd Phillips for proving me wrong. I was really scared at first that I wasn't going to like the film. I have to apologize to Mr. Phillips because I never thought I would see the day that I would come out of one of his movies and be very satisfied. The man wrote and directed a really good movie here. He delivered the laughs. The settings he chose for the movie were great. He filmed the whole thing in Bay City. I felt for the characters, I really liked the characters. I just overall really enjoyed what he did with the film and here's hoping for a part 2.

So I was very surprised with Starsky and Hutch. I had my doubts at first but they are now gone. I walked out of the film with a big smile on my face. There were lots of funny and classic scenes in the film. I really enjoyed how the film itself seemed to be a spoof of the original series. It was very clever by doing that. And I know I really liked this film to because when I sit in the front row to watch a movie, the movie better be good otherwise I will pan it even more for breaking my neck to watch it. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are the perfect comedy team in this funny and interesting buddy cop film. I highly recommend it to all. Just turn off your thinking cap and you will be set for a real fun ride. My final rating for Starsky and Hutch is an 8/10.
50 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stiller and Wilson are back again
christian1236 February 2005
Ben Stiller had four movies come out in six months and this one was the best. He teamed up with Owen Wilson and together they make a very funny team. Based on the popular 70's action show of the same name, Starsky and Hutch re teams Detectives David Starsky and Ken Hutchinson, this time played by long-time buddies Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. This "prequel" to the television show presents the origins of their long running partnership, as they are thrown together on a case involving a shady entrepreneur (Vince Vaughn). Stiller makes up for Envy and brings out the laughs with a great cast. I never saw the series but I am willing to bet that the movie is a lot better and this is more of a parody of the series. The story was funny sure it was nothing new but they still make it work. Stiller and Wilson have a great backup cast in this including Vince Vaughn, Amy Smart, Jason Bateman, Juliette Lewis and Carmen Electra. They all bring humor into the movie and they play their roles well. Snoop Dog played his role decently but they could have found someone else to play Huggy Bear. Todd Phillips directs and he has made some funny comedies in the past including Old School and Road Trip. Vince Vaughn has moved on from being a serious actor to being a comedian and the transition worked in Old School and it works in this movie. The film is 100 minutes long so its hard to put in enough jokes to sustain its running time but for the most part the film is pretty entertaining. Rating 7/10 I recommend you see this movie if your looking for a good comedy or if your a fan of any of the stars.
33 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch Starsky & Hutch... "Do it."
view_and_review28 February 2007
Starsky and Hutch was pretty damn funny. Stiller and Wilson were exceptional in the two roles. Stiller played the "by the book", straight and narrow cop, Starsky, and Owen Wilson played the loose, largely irresponsible, and borderline criminal, Hutch.

I never saw the show to have as a reference which I think may have helped me enjoy the movie more. Vince Vaughn's character didn't do much for the movie, but Will Ferrel's character certainly did. In fact, the scene with Will Ferrel had to be one of, if not the funniest scene in the movie.

It seemed like a great tribute to the original to me.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining 70s spoof with the Stiller gang.
shanfloyd17 June 2006
Continuing the recent success of comedies starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan et al "Starsky and Hutch" is an immensely creative, though sometimes annoying, comedy about two cops with totally opposite characters after a rich drug dealer. Quite clearly, the point of the movie isn't the crime detection at all... the film becomes a hilarious spoof of the 70s culture, still paying homage to the original TV show.

And the comedy is pretty evident. Starsky and Hutch may be of opposite personalities but they have one thing in common, they are buffoons. And with Stiller and Wilson playing them, it's just fun to watch them embark on all those hilarious mishaps. The role by Snoop Dogg is also a hit. Vaughan plays the no-nonsense drug lord with a brilliant serious air around him. Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis only add to the fun with their 70s-type 'brainless babe' roles.

It'd take a long time to mention the funny scenes, because they are plenty. I'd rather point out the ones that I found rather annoying... like the mime act scene or the jail interview scene. But that's okay, these films are supposed to have few shots of such crude sense of humor and I've known many who'd actually like them. The story, by the way, could have been a bit more dramatic. Besides these minor complaints, 'Starsky and Hutch' scores good.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet another Stiller turkey.
co010c66508 June 2008
The TV series was classic stuff so there was no way I was going to avoid giving this a look but having been unfortunate enough to have witnessed a number of Ben Stiller 'comedies' (virtually all of which have been unwatchable) in the past, it would be the understatement of the millennium to suggest I tuned into this effort with a fair amount of scepticism. It wasn't misplaced as this is truly awful and makes we wonder even more how Stiller has ever been able to earn a living as a comedy actor (The fact that American audiences have an unerring ability to laugh at absolutely anything might have something to do with it).

To complement Stiller's Starsky, we have the equally dreadful, unfunny and charisma-free Owen Wilson as Hutch, whose smugness, cheesy grin and awful voice has allowed him to take over the mantle from Jim Carrey as Hollywood's most annoying (and unfunny) comedy actor. As if the gruesome twosome weren't enough to contend with, we are also subjected to a smug, self-satisfied non-performance by rap singer Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear (quite why the words 'rap' and 'singer' belong in the same sentence is another mystery to me).

The biggest mystery of all is, of course, how this puerile pile of tedious dross ever saw the light of day.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a load of rubbish
puppiemaster6 March 2004
Was this supposed to be an action movie or a comedy, cause it failed on both counts,

They took 2 super cool cops from the 70's and turned them into idiots, It took all my will power to actually sit through this movie.

When I got out and was asked to rate this film by a friend I tried to find some positive points, I found 2, Snoop dogg was actually ok as Huggy Bear and it was not as bad as Cat in the Hat.

Its such a pity cause I really wanted to like this film.

but what do I know? I think Blair witch was complete rubbish and that made millions as well
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why has this been slated so badly? I liked it.
richieandsam21 October 2013
STARSKY & HUTCH

I had seen this film for sale in my local DVD shop so cheap that I had to buy it. Everyone I had spoken to that had seen it had told me that this film was terrible. Every review I had read about it says it is really bad… but my attitude towards it was "How bad can it be?". The truth is… I actually quite enjoyed it.

The movie is based on an old TV show of the same name. 2 police officers are forced to work with each other, but they are both completely different to each other. They are trying to hunt down a drug dealer that has some cocaine in his possession that is completely undetectable. Not even the police dogs can smell it.

The comedy in this movie is not great. I laughed out loud once throughout the entire movie. But that is not to say it was not funny. There were a few moments in the film that made me smile and I thought were entertaining. I do wish it was funnier though. The story was quite good, but nothing we have not seen a million times before in buddy cop movies.

The action as really good in places. The car chases were really good and the stunts reminded me of watching the classic TV shows that I loved as a kid, Knight Rider and the Dukes of Hazzard. It was great to see the old red Gran Torino with the white stripe along the side. I love that car… I don't really remember it from TV as I never watched the show, but I know the car. During the credits at the end, you can see some of the car stunts that go wrong during filming. These are awesome, but it is a shame to see the lovely cars getting smashed up.

I like the actors in this movie. The film stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. These guys are funny guys, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I thought Ben played his part well and Owen played his part well too, but for some reason the chemistry between them both felt like something was missing. I could not imagine them as partners and even after watching them for 90 minutes, I still didn't really see them as partners. But nonetheless, they both did well and I enjoyed watching them. There were a lot of other famous faces in this film that I didn't know were in it… Snoop Dogg, Fred Williamson, Vince Vaughn, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra and Chris Penn. Also I loved the cameo at the end from the original Starsky & Hutch, David Soul & Paul Michael Glaser from the TV show. I loved it and thought it was a great ending to the film.

OK, so the film as a whole was not brilliant, the comedy was not up to par and the acting was not great in places, the story could have been better too but this was still really entertaining. It did not deserve the bashing by all the reviewers that it took.

I will give this film 7 out of 10.

"A floater. Nothing harder to solve than a floater. No prints, body's usually bloated, it's next to impossible. All right, I say we push it out and hope the current pushes it down to the next precinct."

For more reviews, please like my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Spinoof Ever
MCMAYNERBERRY6 April 2008
Detective David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is the most dedicated undercover cop working the mean streets of Bay City, California. Maniacally devoted to his job, when he's on duty no crime goes unpunished -- and he's always on duty. And that's a good thing, because he has big shoes to fill: his mother was one of the best cops in the history of Bay City. But while his mom stuck with the same partner throughout her entire career, due to his extremely zealous brand of police work, Starksy burns through partners faster than his beloved Gran Torino goes through spark plugs.

Detective Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is having career issues of his own -- he's a good cop, but his laid back personality and desire for a quick buck don't always get the job done. He has excellent instincts; he just needs a little bit of focus to keep him on the admittedly less profitable side of the law. Exasperated Bay City Police Caption Dobey (Fred Williamson) has found the perfect solution for two of his biggest problems: pair up Starsky and Hutch and put them out on the streets.Starsky & Hutch 10/10
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad remake
lcapote30 August 2007
I have a very good remembrance from the original series. I don't know if those remembers will be destroyed if I'd watch again an episode. But I had preferred the idea of David Soul than this horrible picture. Stiller and Wilson are two of the worst actors I ever watched in a picture. Maybe the first could be an acceptable Starsky, but the second made a very stupid Hutch. At last, this is a very good example about how to destroy a good idea. To tell you the truth, I think the film has many good points. Seventies background, for example, is good: cars, clothes, caracterization of support actors... But the big problem is Stiller and Wilson.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S&H
questl-1859216 October 2019
Oh 2004, I remember it well. The streets were bustling with people just clamoring uproariously, fervently begging and demanding that Hollywood bring back some cop show from the 70s.

Wait, nope, that never happened, because almost nobody wanted this thing. Fortunately, it was such a astounding success that Hollywood has continued along this track, bringing back old tv properties that nobody missed in order to receive a thunderous... Meh from movie goers.

Rant aside, this is one of those movies where I have to ask myself why they forced it to be Starsky and Hutch rather than just making a new buddy cop movie. The film is so utterly mediocre for the majority of it that it wouldn't have made a difference. And, when it isn't racing towards the forgettably mundane it jumps right into unnecessary vulgarity and crassness. So... Yup. It's a good choice for the networks to run during the day but beyond that there's nothing really here to see.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Good Movie For A Bad Date
royceschmitz18 September 2005
If you are on the "Date From Hell", this is the perfect movie to seal the deal that your date will never call on you again. Again I am left wondering why people think Ben Stiller is funny. After taking a police drama from the 70's and turning it into a poorly written, poorly acted movie, I think I see a Razzie here. If they wanted to have done the movie and TV series justice the director would have followed the initial format of the Starsky&Hutch pilot. These were two good cops, who could also work in the "gray" area of the law when needed to get the bad guys. In other words, it was not a comedy show which looked like that were in love with each other (note the little birdy flying around Stiller when Owens is sing "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and making google eyes at each other). About the only good thing about this movie, besides the ending, is the soundtrack, great 70's and 80's tunes throughout.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost Time
apteryx0523 September 2007
Another 101 minutes of my life I will never get back. What a waste of my time and perfectly good film. To say this movie sucks would be a gross understatement. I cannot for the life me figure out how a talent like Julilett Lewis would involve herself with a dismal failure such as this. I've come to expect as much from actors such as Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, but this sucks the big one. I won't even dignify a comment about "Snoop Dog." Who told this rapper he could act? All in all a complete waste of time and popcorn. Someone should tell Hollywood that resurrecting crappy 1970's sitcoms and making them into movies doesn't cut the mustard. What's next? Dukes of Hazard III???
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
crap, crap, crap
zetes8 March 2004
I'm a bit embarrassed that I even saw it, but I'll see just about anything, especially if I can see it in a theater. But I should have known! I hated Todd Phillips's Old School. It was sloppy in ever way possible. The guy knew neither how to direct nor write. But the commercials for this film made me laugh, and I love the chemistry between Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson; their bit at the Oscars last week cracked me up. But, damn, if Phillips didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is one of the worst directors in Hollywood right now. The guy has no clue how to construct a joke! If you don't trust me and need proof, then, please, do check out this piece of crap. There are any number of funny situations that are set up, but there is hardly ever pay-off, and the few times when Phillips does come through he doesn't come through nearly enough. For every laugh, and there is a small handful of them, almost anyone on the street could have re-written the joke to be funnier. The only thing that was great was the stunt driving, but I'm probably one of the three people who still go to movies who doesn't go to the movies for that. 4/10.
70's nostalgia
jturner347 March 2004
If you really, really liked the 70's, you'll like this movie. If you find the decade a kitschy, quirky, entertaining time, this is the movie for you. If you find the entire thing rather annoying as I do, it sucks. They try to make of the cliches in the original series by really playing them up, but only succeed in basically make them much worse in this movie. Instead of unintentional and in the background, they are constantly in your face, but no more entertaining. Owen Wilson needs a better agent, and I guess I just don't get the whole Ben Stiller thing. I liked him in There's Something About Mary, and in everything else he's just bad. Everyone makes a big deal about the chemistry in this film, but like everything else in it, it's just silly and cliched. In short, this movie is just a big turd and not worth the money or time to go see it.
Charming, Amusing, Disappointing
dmgreer8 March 2004
Wilson and Stiller were a lot funnier at the Oscars than they are in this movie. I can't say that the movie is bad, it just isn't very funny. It almost gets going at times, but somehow Stiller and Wilson never achieve the chemistry of say, Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour. Maybe it's the editing.

As someone who was a teenager at the time, it's fun to see the old cars and hear the old music. Of course, there's Starsky's Gran Torino, of which they must have used up at least half a dozen in the the making of this movie. There was a Ford Pinto in one scene, and an AMC Pacer was used by a hit man.

There are some nice bits and pieces to this movie, but they never congeal into a unified whole, and they seem to always promise more than they deliver.
Funniest Movie Since Old School
geese-22 March 2004
Todd Phillips has prooven that he is the top comedic director in the business right now. Old School was the funniest movie of last year and Starsky and

Hutch may very well be the funniest film of the upcoming year. Yes, I am a huge fan of this crew; Stiller, Wilson, Ferrell, etc., but even if you're not a huge fan, this movie may make you one. The chemistry between Ben and Owen is priceless,

and the small part Ferrell has is done flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and see this movie.
CRAZY!
littlebigpete22 February 2004
This movie is one of the funniest i've seen in a long time. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson deliver another hysterical comedy once again. Im not gonna give any plot line away but i know that i cant wait for Starsky and Hutch 2: Electric Boogaloo. GO SEE IT! DO IT! DO IT!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Run, don't walk, away from this film!
ak-2223 March 2004
I will never see another film by Todd Phillips ever again, from the

miserably overrated OLD SCHOOL to this aimless waste of talent.

There's about 25% of a decent satirical remake of the old TV show;

the rest is nothing but misfires. 2 Hours out of my life that I will

never see again, but it seemed like a lifetime. Of all the interesting

films in release, why did my wife have to pick this one? The best

part of this film was the cameo by the original team, who both have

been hit by personal tragedies, since the end of the TV series.

You can't really blame Stiller and Wilson, though they must have

read the script before they signed up. Thumbs down, way down.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much Needed Laugh A Minute, Throw-Back to My Childhood!
tesswysko23 July 2019
I grew up in the very late 70's, and 80's, I was born in 76, but when most kids were watching cartoons, I was watching re-runs of things like Green Acres, Wonder Woman, Welcome Back Kotter, and Starskey & Hutch. When my parents friends would visit and see what I was watching, they'd greet a kick out of it and call me an old soul! So, I'm kind of protective of my favorite older shows, this is why I haven't watched this movie before now, I was afraid that like what's going on with Disney destroying my beloved Marvel superheroes, they'd ruin this movie. I've always said too, if they made this movie, and they didn't use my boy Snoop Dogg (we've worked together before, long story, I'm in the Music Industry) as Huggy Bear, then that would be a deal breaker.

So, last night I needed to relax, I pulled up my Netflix, I sat there looking at the title, and finally gave in and started watching. I WILL SAY that At first, Ben Stiller seemed to be pulling his Zoolander routine, and FACIAL EXPRESSION even, but shortly after Owen Wilson was teamed up weigh him, he seemed to relax into the character and make it his own.

By far, THE BEST moment, was when Snoop Dogg showed up as Huggy Bear! I had no idea he was playing the part, but it was one that was made for him! I stood up and cheered! From there on, the movie just got better, I don't do spoilers, but I WILL tell you that there are a lot of surprises, you just need to be on the lookout! It's NOT the S&H I grew up on, but it's GREAT FUN, DEFINITELY worth the watch!!! Don't miss this one!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parody that falls far short of original series.
windanafive2 October 2013
If you're a fan of the original series and not interested in seeing it parodied, I suggest giving this movie a miss.

There are various "golden oldie" songs throughout the movie which were enjoyable to listen to and sing along to but some of the footage that accompanied these songs seemed overtly and unnecessarily sexual.

The characters of Starsky and Hitch seemed considerably less concerned with fair play and honesty than the TV series' counterparts.

The highlight of the movie was probably the cameos of David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser in the last few minutes of the movie. Amusingly, Soul's character was dressed identically to Wilson's character, as were Stiller and Glaser's characters, Glaser and Stiller in Starsky's leather jacket and Soul and Wilson in Hutch's standard style of outfit.

There were a few clever gags (literally a few, three, I think) but some of it was rather obnoxious and parents should be warned, like many remakes of old/older stories/series, a lot of this is NOT suitable for children or young teens. The TV series is suitable for a fairly young audience but I'd probably prefer not to show the movie to under 15s.

Starsky's character changed throughout the movie with no really clear reason why. I found this bizarre.

I've been there, watched it, and am unlikely to ever bother with it again.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.