Starsky & Hutch (2004) Poster

Great Sunday Hangover Film
toffeesi5 February 2007
Hand on heart I did not want to watch this film. Although I grew up with the TV series and really enjoyed it, when the film was released I have to say that I was not keen, I can not put my finger on why, perhaps it was Stiller, who, Something About Mary apart, has never really done it for me. But what ever the reason, it remained unveiwed.

That was 2004 - Xmas 2006 and I get DVD vouchers, so In the January sales off I go to see what I can get, I do quite well, but have £3 remaining, I have 2 or 3 to chose from 2 I have already seen, and Starsky & Hutch.....So I bought it.......yet still it was unwatched until yesterday.......hungover and feeling a little lazy I needed something to pass the time that was easy to watch, funny, and not too taxing.....so on it goes.

How surprised was I then when after only a few minutes I was giggling away. Stiller was actually entertaining and I was enjoying watching him, Mr Wilson was very good and I got the vibe that the characters gelled as the ones in the TV series did. Vaughan was a good baddie, and Snoop was hight entertaining if not as camp Huggy Bear! All in all this is a good solid comedy film, not brilliant don't get me wrong, but worth a watch.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Starsky & Hutch get no respect in their big-screen movie
zardoz-1318 March 2004
"Old School" director Todd Phillips lampoons every cop movie convention and cliché in his new action comedy "Starsky & Hutch," an amusing but anemic annihilation of the tough-minded, 1970s-era, buddy-themed, crime busters television series that paved the way for shows like "Miami Vice." Comedian Ben Stiller of "Meet the Parents" recreates the Paul Michael Glaser role as Det. Dave Starsky, while Owen Wilson of "The Big Bounce" updates the David Soul character Det. Ken Hutchinson. Mind you, Stiller is usually a stellar comic, but his exaggerated, hyperactive performance here is far too epileptic to be palatable. He resembles an anorexic Lou Ferrigno, and he behaves as if he wandered in from another movie. Meanwhile, Owen Wilson plays his usual laid-back slacker self. Wilson goes for comparative subtlety. Sadly, "S & H" lacks any shred of subtlety. What Phillips and co-scenarists John O'Brien of "Cradle 2 The Grave" and Scot Armstrong, who co-scripted "Old School" and "Road Trip" with Phillips, have done to TV's "Starsky and Hutch" is not nearly as appalling as what director Barry Sonnenfeld did to TV's "The Wild Wild West" with his "Wild Wild West." Sadly, this sacrilegious law & order spoof is horrendous enough as it is.

"Starsky & Hutch" TV show fans will feel insulted and humiliated by this contemptible makeover of a venerable series. Phillips & company stand the action formula on its head, pull its pants down, and turn our heroes into moronic misfits. "S & H" shares more in common with the Village People than a straight-up and serious TV cops & robbers show. People who never saw TV's "Starsky and Hutch" may find it easier to laugh at our heroes' buffoonish behavior. Phillips scores points for his broad, imaginative comedy, but he devastates a popular show. Essentially, Phillips & company have ignored the basic rule of remakes: if it ain' t broke, don't fix it. Only Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear, Vince Vaughn as villainous Reese Feldman, and Fred Williamson's Captain Dobey emerge unscathed from this cretinous comedy.

"Starsky & Hutch" gets off on the right foot. Jewish businessman/cocaine dealer Reese Feldman (Vince Vaughn of "Clay Pigeons" with a bandit mustache) has a falling out with one of his accomplices over the loss of a coke consignment and a plane. Out of the blue, Feldman palms a pistol and blows a hole through the argumentative thug, sending him involuntarily backwards over the railing of his yacht and into the ocean. As the wily villain, Feldman has altered the chemical formula of cocaine so drug-sniffing German Sheppard dogs cannot catch any incriminating whiffs from the narcotics. Further, this new cocaine is tasteless, which spins off a great gag with Starsky stirring it into his coffee as if it were sugar. The clever running joke during the expository scene about the drug is the comparison of 'new' coke with 'old' coke. Feldman plans to sell consignments of his wonder drug to a syndicate of drug dealers.

Meanwhile, Bay City Police Captain Dobey (Frank Williamson of "Hammer") makes partners out of polar opposites who have virtually no credibility in the department. Detective Dave Starsky has an anger management problem and is prone to firing his pistol in public at the wrong times. He drives like a maniac and he busts citizens for the least infraction of the law. On the other hand, Detective Ken Hutchinson drop kicked his ethics long ago and moonlights as a robber who hits bookies. Predictably, these dynamic dudes have problems adjusting to each other's idiosyncrasies. One thing Hutch likes about Starsky, however, is his souped-up, red Ford Grand Torino in which they careen recklessly around the streets of Bay City. Anyway, our heroes find a floater who turns out to be the same guy Feldman gunned down on his yacht. (Indeed, Vaughn makes a more believable bad guy than our protagonists make heroes.) In the by-the-numbers, police procedural screenplay, Starsky and Hutch trace the floater back to Feldman. Initially, they have no luck with Feldman and follow another lead: the dragon designs on the corpse's jacket. This takes them to prison where they encounter Big Earl (an unaccredited Will Ferrell of "Elf" with a hair net) who fashioned the designs. Starsky and Hutch ply Big Earl for information, but he proves more an obstacle than they expected. Where the original "S&H" duo would have shattered the glass between them in the prison interview room and beaten him to a pulp, the new "Starsky and Hutch" adopt a different approach. No concession they offer the convict appeals to him, until he asks to ogle Hutch's belly button. Before it's all over, Starsky and Hutch are caught on prison surveillance cams performing "Dumb and Dumber" routines for Big Earl. Like so much of the comedy in "S & H," this scene tickles your funny bone. Unfortunately, it's in the wrong movie. Starsky and Hutch check in occasionally with their number one snitch: Huggy Bear (Snoop Dogg of "Baby Boy") and even persuade him to wear a wire and serve as Feldman's golf caddy in one scene. However, no matter what our heroes do to try and bust Feldman, they always wind up with egg on their face, to the point Capt. Dobey suspends them from the force.

Snoop Dog walks off with the show without breaking a sweat. The producers show greater reverence for his character than any other. The Ford Grand Torino gives a better performance than either lead. Another plus is the classic disco soundtrack with hits from the 70s such as "Afternoon Delight" and a send-up of David Soul's own "Don't Give Up On Us Baby." Altogether, while its boasts several funny scenes, this "Starsky & Hutch" remake doesn't amount to much.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great melding of traditional 1970s flicks and Stiller/Wilson
Brandt Sponseller8 February 2005
David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is a by-the-book cop who thinks nothing about destroying thousands of dollars of property to apprehend a mugger who has stolen only a few dollars. Ken Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is the complete opposite--it seems the only reason he has become a cop is that it makes a life of crime much easier. Captain Doby (Fred Williamson) can't stand either of them, but hits upon the brilliant idea of pairing them. When they begin investigating a murder that has ties to a prominent millionaire, the best qualities of each just might start influencing the other.

Although I always wait to read others' reviews and comments until I've seen a film and written my own review (I do not want to be swayed or influenced in any way by other opinions), I can imagine that quite a few people would not like Starsky and Hutch. To really enjoy it, one would have to alter their expectations to what director Todd Phillips has chosen to deliver instead--a clever film that is both an absurdist spoof and a respectful, faithful homage at the same time. Creating that combination is a difficult feat, but Phillips was largely successful.

The combination means that Starsky and Hutch is not aiming to be over-the-top hilarious, and it's also not aiming to be overly consistent with the characters and tone of the original pilot film and series. Viewers expecting either are likely to be a bit disappointed. However, if you're a fan of gritty 1970s films as well as a fan of Stiller and Wilson's usual material, you should find much to love here.

Phillips has remarkably captured the look and feel of a typical 1970s film. The costumes, hairstyles, and overall production design are also perfect for a subtle spoof on the 1970s, and given the source material, even the plot has the slightly formulaic, slightly hokey, almost made-for-television feel that is appropriate for this genre. You know they're on the right track when Fred Williamson--star of such blaxploitation masterpieces as Hammer (1972), Black Caesar (1973) and Mean Johnny Barrows (1976)--has a prominent supporting role. The 1970s spoof/homage aspect is far more understated and reverential than you'd normal expect from a Stiller film, but easy to like and understand.

Other outstanding supporting roles are played by Vince Vaughn, Snoop Dogg, Will Ferrell and Juliette Lewis, all except Dogg slightly out of character, but just as enjoyable and funny as always, as they're all somewhat faithfully filling traditional 1970s roles. Dogg is the most in character, as he has long been deferential to that era, anyway.

The film hinges, of course, on Stiller and Wilson, and true to form, Stiller is still a somewhat oblivious buffoon with Wilson as a hipper, more streetwise buffoon. Grafting their comedy personae onto the Starsky and Hutch characters was more easily done and natural than anyone might have thought, and provides a highly amusing 100 minutes, even if it's a bit of an acquired taste and not likely to be understood quite as well by future generations.
59 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny (and entertaining!) send-up of the cop-buddy formula
MovieAddict201615 July 2004
A funny and thoroughly enjoyable spin on the overused cop-buddy formula, "Starsky and Hutch" is one of the most entertaining films of 2004 -- even if it's nothing more than just that.

With a fair share of laugh-out-loud moments, and more than a handful of in-joke references to '70s pop culture (including the original source material: "Starsky and Hutch" the TV show), it also boasts a fine comedic cast with talented performers: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Snoop Dogg, Chris Penn, Amy Smart and some uncredited cameos by the likes of Will Ferrell -- and yes, even the original Starsky and Hutch. But their shared appearance is one best left open. ("I get a good vibe from these guys," the younger Hutch exclaims in one of the film's most savory self-referential moments.)

The film takes place in Bay City, "sometime during the '70s," when David Starsky (Stiller) -- a by-the-numbers police officer who spends his entire day chasing small-time crooks -- is paired up with a new partner, the reckless Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Wilson). Starsky and Hutch don't get along at first -- their mixed personalities collide, resulting in uncomfortable tension. Placed on an assignment involving an alleged drug lord (Vaughn), who has managed to create undetectable cocaine, Starsky and Hutch find themselves in a number of awkward situations: getting a statement by Big Earl (Ferrell), a dragon-obsessed inmate with some major issues; the usual tidbits of information from Huggy Bear (Dogg), a friend and informant of Hutch's; and of course the mandatory romantic subplot involving a pair of sexy cheerleaders.

The contrast of Starsky and Hutch is handled deliberately blunt: this comedy isn't as much a victim of the cop-buddy genre as it is a dead-on spoof. Hutch is a self-described "realist" -- during his introductory sequence he is shown fleeing the scene of a robbery with a stash of money. We assume he is undercover, and that's what he tells the cops when they try to arrest him. However, he's just using his badge as an excuse to commit crimes -- and get away with them.

I asked myself if it was as possible as the film implies, but then the Constantly Yelling and/or Upset Police Captain (another clichéd role that happens to show up in all these movies) tells Hutch that it's the seventh time he's been arrested for robbery, and Hutch tells him that he's undercover -- trying to work his way in through the criminal underground. The joke, of course, is that we find out the robberies are all totally unrelated and bear no significant to a criminal underground of any kind.

There are a few sequences in the movie that deserve a description of their own, such as when Starsky accidentally consumes a large amount of cocaine and works himself into an ultimate-high-frenzy, battling on the disco floor of a nightclub for short-lived glory. After his opponent is unjustly awarded the gold medal, Starsky pulls out his gun and from there on the entire situation escalates into one of those scenes that -- like parts of Stiller's "There's Something About Mary" -- last on in viewers' minds even after the film itself fades away. The sort of sequence you might chuckle about to yourself as you drive home and recall certain moments from the film.

Stiller and Wilson -- presently two of Hollywood's most famous odd couples who have united together for a number of projects over the years -- are always likable in their films and nothing changes here. Wilson uses his sarcastic quips to an advantage, coming across as the smoother of the two, whereas Starsky is the bumbling and self-conscious idiot who is both over-protective and over-zealous.

The movie is at its best when it is cleverly satirizing the genre. Most of these films always include a sequence where the police captain will suspend the movie's protagonist and frown on him, saying something cheesy like, "Your father, who spent years on the force and was one of the highest-decorated officers, would be ashamed of you!" Instead, the police captain tells Starsky that his mother would be ashamed of him. And then after being suspended, Starsky takes a visit to his mother's grave and places a glazed donut on the headstone (she was the highly decorated cop in the family, apparently).

The film was directed by Todd Phillips, whose resume includes such raunchy efforts at comedy as the crude-but-enjoyable "Road Trip" and surprising "Old School." The latter film starred Ferrell and Vaughn and contained a cameo appearance by Snoop Dogg (as himself), so obviously these guys enjoyed working with Phillips and, I'm sure, agreed to contribute to this movie just for the heck of it.

The result is a very goofy, entertaining summer flick that never tries too hard and invariably never falls too hard, either. It does fall sometimes, but even then it usually takes its screw-ups with a pinch of salt. This is the sort of movie worth the price of admission -- just to sit back, forget your worries, and watch a couple of clowns bumble their way through an enjoyable farce of the '70s. It's not the kind of movie you'll be talking about after you see it -- just a simple popcorn flick. If you're out and about and you happen to stumble into a theater showing this film, you'll find your money well spent. I won't praise "Starsky and Hutch" for being a brilliant tongue-in-cheek spoof of the cop-buddy films -- I'll merely say that, for what it is, "Starsky and Hutch" is well-made and funny -- a surprisingly simple movie that is everything it pretends to be. The majority of films that use this approach suffer because they fall victim to their targets, especially most released this year, but where the others have failed "Starsky and Hutch" succeeds.
45 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A really fun buddy cop flick with a lot of laughs
MovieManMenzel24 February 2004
Starsky and Hutch was a film I was really looking forward to. I think Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller have great on screen chemistry and I really liked the last film they did together in 2001 entitled Zoolander. Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson make a great comedic team so when I heard about Starsky and Hutch starring both of them I was hooked immediately. The bad news for me however was the fact this film was being directed by the guy who made road trip & old school, Todd Phillips. I didn't really care for neither one of them per say. But I was willing to give him a chance with this film. And as it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of Starsky and Hutch.

So tonight I caught the sneak preview of Starsky and Hutch at 7:30pm. The movie was packed to the gills. Yours truly had to sit in the front row, which I wasn't thrilled about. But there was nothing else at the theater to see so I figured what the hell I will make my neck suffer for the next two hours. Well the movie started about 5 minutes after I got in the theater.

Starsky and Hutch as I'm sure everyone knows is based on a buddy cop TV show from the 70s. The movie is pretty much the same thing. Starsky (Ben Stiller) & Hutch (Owen Wilson) are partners who are determined to bust their biggest case ever. Reese Feldman (Vince Vaughn) is a drug dealer who is planning one huge drug deal but soon Starsky and Hutch are right on his trail thanks to the help of their pal Huggy Bear (Snoop Dog). A lot of funny mishaps, spoofs of the original TV series, and overall a very enjoyable film ensue.

Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson like I mentioned above are a match made in heaven. They are both two funny guys who work great as a team. Vince Vaughn was very good here as the villain in the film. He had the whole rich playboy thing going, it was very entertaining. Snoop Dog was also very enjoyable as Huggy Bear. He delivered a nice sum of laughs and for once wasn't a completely pointless character. Amy Smart who played Holly in the film along with Carmen Electra who played Staci where both good as Starsky & Hutch's love interests. Even the original Starsky & Hutch, Paul Michael Glaser & David Soul make an amusing cameo appearance.

This film was written by three people and all of which I wouldn't think could create such a funny and interesting script like this. John O'Brien who wrote Cradle 2 the Grave with DMX & Jet Li, Todd Phillips who wrote road trip & old school, and Scot Armstrong who also wrote road trip & old school wrote the film as a team. As I said earlier I am quite surprised that the film turned out so well. I must actually applaud all of the three men who wrote this film. There were some really clever and classic moments in the film. The dialog was very good and the characters were very well formed. I enjoyed the script a lot.

Thank you Todd Phillips for proving me wrong. I was really scared at first that I wasn't going to like the film. I have to apologize to Mr. Phillips because I never thought I would see the day that I would come out of one of his movies and be very satisfied. The man wrote and directed a really good movie here. He delivered the laughs. The settings he chose for the movie were great. He filmed the whole thing in Bay City. I felt for the characters, I really liked the characters. I just overall really enjoyed what he did with the film and here's hoping for a part 2.

So I was very surprised with Starsky and Hutch. I had my doubts at first but they are now gone. I walked out of the film with a big smile on my face. There were lots of funny and classic scenes in the film. I really enjoyed how the film itself seemed to be a spoof of the original series. It was very clever by doing that. And I know I really liked this film to because when I sit in the front row to watch a movie, the movie better be good otherwise I will pan it even more for breaking my neck to watch it. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are the perfect comedy team in this funny and interesting buddy cop film. I highly recommend it to all. Just turn off your thinking cap and you will be set for a real fun ride. My final rating for Starsky and Hutch is an 8/10.
42 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
should have left it alone
mxracer15727 February 2005
taking this legacy and making it into a movie was a horrible idea. usually the combo of Stiller and Wilson can pull any movie along. But this script was just to horrible. the only scene in the movie worthwhile was the one where the TV characters brought the new car to Stiller. Stiller plays a bunch of different type characters in his movies. This time he plays a hard edge cop that is scared. Wilson plays a con artist who holds a badge. It just doesn't work. These two men generally work well together, but not this time. Snoop plays a wonderful character though, he is the only one that works well in this. Vaughn plays a wonderful bad gay. Juliette Lewis adds some spice and edginess to it also. She generally plays either a crook or a crack whore, hence her roll in this movie. She has talent, would be nice to see her be able to use it once. Thank God this movie didn't do much so that a sequel will come around. The writers need to definitely try harder next time!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too ireverant... so irrelevant
DoctorDee15 March 2004
The original TV series, Starsky and Hutch, revolutionised - in fact, probably invented the buddy-cop genre. It was as hugely popular, possibly more-so than Charlie's Angels in its day, so it was inevitable that after the success of Charlie's Angels, S+H would be next in line for the movie treatment.

But whereas Charlie's Angels was dynamic and plot-driven, with (a good many) knowing references to the original series and its disco-seventies setting it still retained a respect for the Angels. S+H has no respect for the original series... instead of action, it plays it purely for laughs, turning the original streetwise tough-guy cops in to fumbling buffoons.

While the film will undoubtedly be popular, its popularity is unlikely to be with fans of the original series - for two reasons, one is as they approach their forties they are hardly core cinema audience, but mainly because no-one with fond memories of the original series could warm to this irreverent crap.

Snoop Dogg is superb as Huggy Bear, and has the one stand out comedic line in the film. In reflection to our heroes being portrayed as idiots, the originally flaky Huggy is upgraded to a super-fly pimp daddy. At the end of the day, it is Huggy who captures the bad guy, as Starsky and Hutch mess up disasterously, and not entirely amusingly.

The final scene, where Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul, make a cameo to hand over the keys of the famous Gran Torino (the REAL star of the movie), merely serves to drive home the fact that S+H2004 is really Starsky and Hutch light. The original actors tower over their modern counterparts both literally, and in terms of screen presence.

Starsky and Hutch is not unwatchable, Stiller and Wilson are likable as ever, but on this occasion, the material lets them down. Without the value of the original series, Starsky and Hutch is about as good a movie as Hollywood Homicide was... and that's no recommendation.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stiller and Wilson are back again
christian1236 February 2005
Ben Stiller had four movies come out in six months and this one was the best. He teamed up with Owen Wilson and together they make a very funny team. Based on the popular 70's action show of the same name, Starsky and Hutch re teams Detectives David Starsky and Ken Hutchinson, this time played by long-time buddies Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. This "prequel" to the television show presents the origins of their long running partnership, as they are thrown together on a case involving a shady entrepreneur (Vince Vaughn). Stiller makes up for Envy and brings out the laughs with a great cast. I never saw the series but I am willing to bet that the movie is a lot better and this is more of a parody of the series. The story was funny sure it was nothing new but they still make it work. Stiller and Wilson have a great backup cast in this including Vince Vaughn, Amy Smart, Jason Bateman, Juliette Lewis and Carmen Electra. They all bring humor into the movie and they play their roles well. Snoop Dog played his role decently but they could have found someone else to play Huggy Bear. Todd Phillips directs and he has made some funny comedies in the past including Old School and Road Trip. Vince Vaughn has moved on from being a serious actor to being a comedian and the transition worked in Old School and it works in this movie. The film is 100 minutes long so its hard to put in enough jokes to sustain its running time but for the most part the film is pretty entertaining. Rating 7/10 I recommend you see this movie if your looking for a good comedy or if your a fan of any of the stars.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch Starsky & Hutch... "Do it."
view_and_review28 February 2007
Starsky and Hutch was pretty damn funny. Stiller and Wilson were exceptional in the two roles. Stiller played the "by the book", straight and narrow cop, Starsky, and Owen Wilson played the loose, largely irresponsible, and borderline criminal, Hutch.

I never saw the show to have as a reference which I think may have helped me enjoy the movie more. Vince Vaughn's character didn't do much for the movie, but Will Ferrel's character certainly did. In fact, the scene with Will Ferrel had to be one of, if not the funniest scene in the movie.

It seemed like a great tribute to the original to me.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun entertaining movie.
Boba_Fett113810 August 2005
Of all the recent buddy-cop movies, released lately this is one of the better ones.

Biggest strength of this movie is in the two main characters played by Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. They are such a great screen duo together and have some great team chemistry on the screen. The movie is filled with many other great comical talented actors such as; Vince Vaughn as the main villain, Snoop Dogg and Will Ferrell and some smaller roles for famous names such as; Chris Penn, Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis.

But the movie is more then just an ordinary buddy-movie, it also is a priceless parody of '70's TV-shows in general. It uses some of the same camera-positions and style of editing at times, especially in the action sequences. But also the way of acting, dialog and costumes perfectly spoof all those silly '70 TV-series. I'm not sure if everybody catch or understood this but I really laughed out loud at some moments.

The comedy can be put in the category silly, so this movie is clearly not suitable for everyone. The humor is really over-the-top but I for one really enjoyed that. The characters are really silly but the professional comedy actors portray them extremely well and likable.

A perfectly fun comedy to kill some time with.

15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
immaculately produced 70s light comedy homage
Chris_Docker7 April 2004
The tale of two oddball police detectives who have a habit of getting stuck in awkward situations even with the best of intentions. Starsky (Ben Stiller) is very much by-the-book – embarrassingly so – whereas Hutch has a laid back rather ‘hippy' approach to the rules. One of the films great strengths is that it plays on satire and keeps the action secondary. The two main characters are ably aided and abetted by Huggy Bear (Snoop Dogg) and, although there is a big-drugs-bust plotline, the movie's main intention seems to be to make a homage to the style and clichés of certain 70s filmmaking (and the original TV show); car chases, for instance, focus on tongue-in-cheek action rather than adrenalin, and the cops' love of empty-headed curvaceous women combined with a homophobia towards each other and gay men is portrayed laughingly as an echo of the attitudes of the times rather than appealing to those sentiments. Not the sort of comedy I expected to enjoy so much personally, but I quickly warmed to this movie and found the feelgood factor continued unabated till the end.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sophomoronic and Insulting, Warning! Spoiler Ahead.
Mike6 February 2005
This is one time where the TV series was much more enjoyable then the movie. Ben Stiller is overacting in almost every scene, Owen Wilson is better but not by much. You'd think we were in church with all the references to Jesus. My intelligence was offended when 'Starsky' drives his car, like a maniac, out into the public street does a couple of 'donuts' in front of other police cars and then does a 180º to pick up his new, unwanted, partner. Williams takes his role out of so many other police dramas with a combative chief and a questionable officer, much like Josef Sommer's role in 'Dirty Harry'. The disco dance off was stupid, the biker bar episode was stupid, the scene in the prison trying to get answers from 'Big Earl' was stupid and insulting. I could go on and on. I wonder why I watched the whole thing? The originals, P.M. Glazer and David Soul, made a nice final scene appearance but nothing could help this pathetic drivel, (3; To talk stupidly or childishly). Pretty much anything that Ben Stiller does is of this caliber. But this is just my opinion.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exhibit "A" in the case against remakes
Jack19 March 2006
Watching this movie made me wonder if the people who made it ever bothered to watch a single episode of the original Starsky and Hutch. They did nothing but take the name (and the car) and paste in on a completely forgettable, witless and insipid little cop movie. Ben Stiller is especially yawn-inducing as Starsky, a character with no personality other than a tendency to whininess. Owen Wilson brings some slight color to his role, almost enough to qualify as a character. Together, they come off as nothing more than a couple of stupid losers driving around in a red Torino. There's not much reason for these two to be in this movie anyway, as it's nothing more than a barrage of failed comedy sketches.

The film offers a couple of chuckles, most notably when the big car jump at the end goes wrong, but it's hardly worth sitting through all the mundane characters and groan-inducing comedy to get to them. The best part - by far - is the '70s music; It at least offers a nice background to the tedium taking place on screen.

It would have been more accurate to title this movie "Dumb and Dumber - With A Badge" or perhaps "Police Academy 8: Cops Without A Clue". But of course, the marketing exec's probably found out that titling it "Starsky and Hutch" would bring in 17% more revenue, so there you go.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a fun movie!
MissMargoChanning30 January 2006
After seeing Starsky and Huch, the movie, I have to say I came away happy. All involved in the making of it did an excellent job! The car, the fashions, the fads, such as mimes, sexy cheerleaders,and the disco craze brought you right back to the mid 70's. The music used in this movie was RIGHT ON! The only thing that bugged me about it was that I can't recall Hutch ever having shady dealings or keeping money that did not belong to him in the original television series. That sort of threw me off, but on the flip side, I got a kick out of Ben stiller. He got so many of the original Starsky's mannerisms down pat! David Soul and Paul Micheal Glazor, the original Starsky and Hutch, were cleverly integrated at the end too!This was a fun movie and a fun ride in a Ford Toreno!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the TV show!
kmaloney765916 September 2005
This movie was absolutely amazingly funny. I was in tears the entire time from laughing so much! Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson make a much better team than the original guys! I hope to see a sequel hit theaters sometime because I would definitely go see it! My favorite part has to be when Starsky dances with that extremely agile and graceful man at the disco! It was an awesome seen to behold!! I watch that part again and again. Sometimes five times in a row. It's just simply amazing work. Kudos to everyone! Though I may not approve in real life, I think it was very realistic to add in the "coffee" scene. It was very realistic. Ben Stiller was a GREAT Starsky. I think he is very attractive and he needs to wear those pants from the disco more often!! I am not really a fan of the original television show, but this movie just really brightened up my day. All I have to say is I love whoever decided to create this wondrous movie!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Firey, Red Torino fishtails to a halt. We spill onto the streets, ready for action...
kaz_212511 April 2004
Thankfully, Starsky & Hutch owes more to the Brady Bunch/Galaxy Quest breed of TV spoof -- the fond homage -- rather than the soulless rip-off that was I Spy or S.W.A.T. On top of that, S&H forgoes the big screen remake approach and manages to imbue this movie with a kind of intimate, small screen charm all its own.

There's not much in the SPFX department -- a little green screen on a lizard's tail maybe -- just stunt driving and disco dancing and coo l characters. It occurred to me that this sort of 70's, character-based TV has given way to the "ensemble drama" where the characters are secondary and the formula is the star. Hence you can set CSI or Law and Order in any city and serve up a variety of interchangeable casts to populate your formula.

To make it palatable to an audience who doesn't give a damn whether this remake is anything like the original, the char acters have been polarized and exaggerated to turbo-charge the humor. Paul Mic hael Glaser's intense David Starsky, in Ben Stiller's hands is "Mr Furiou s", a by-the-book cop struggling against the legacy of his Supercop mother. Owen Wilson takes Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson a few steps further along the continuum of laid-back, nordic detachment, becoming a Wilson-esque drifter who comfortably straddles both sides of the law. Thus he becomes the perfect pacifier for his frenetic partner.

All the original elements are present and exaggerated. The on-screen chemistry between the leads, the innocent and endearing homoerotica, the cool Ford Gran Torino and its balletic skid turns, the busty cheerleaders and the smooth and charming, leisure-suited villains. Played straight down the middle, all the humor emerges from the guileless seriousness of it all, the charming simplicity of a more innocent time.

In an age before AIDs, Terrorism and political correctness, Starsky and Hutch tough talk, rough house and sleep their way through a daisy chain of leads and informants, on the trail of a massive shipment of artificial coke , which mimics the real stuff in effect, but is undetectable to police labs or sniffer dogs. Starsky and Hutch take their polar-opposite characters into each new situation, and their infamous buddycop chemistry manages to keep them stumbling along in vaguely the right direction. The unlikely tableaus -- scenes like the holsters and handtowels, the attractive informant disrobing during her interview, the undercover mime artists and the ridiculous disguises are mostly lifted directly from the original series and tweaked only a little for laughs. Starsky still doesn't like Hutch eating in the Torino and Hutch still lives in his little Venice villa with his indian hemp throw rugs and healthy milkshakes. Stiller especially has worked hard on his little Starsky-esque codifiers, the bow-legged swagger, the hyperactive twitchiness, right down to the I Ching necklace and silver pinkie ring -- little touches that 95 percent of the audience will never recognize. Starsky & Hutch is populated by the usual Stiller/Wilson family singers. Vince Vaughn is delicious perfection as the bad guy/drug-dealer/family man and Wil Ferrel is the ad-libbed Saturday Night Live skit character with eccentric sexual tendencies and a penchant for Dragons.

Out of our Easter weekend audience I think most were in their twenties or below, and so David Soul's one and only pop hit, "Don't Give up on us, Baby" has never been played in their lifetime. And yet our audience seemed to "get" the fondly self-referential humor and ridiculous situations, if all the guffawing was anything to go by. There was a group of teenaged girls behind us who choked a n d hyperventilated so much during the Wil Ferrell "interrogation" scene I thought the y'd have to be put on oxygen.

As a huge fan of the original series I should have found all this insulting, predictable and groan-enducing, but instead it was nostalgic and endearing. As much as I love specials effects and action-packed blockbusters, I realized I miss these sorts of characters.

Of today's crop, only Monk is carrying the banner for quirky, character-based charm.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Telexploitation !
elshikh43 November 2008
Hollywood mostly used to despise TV ! Otherwise why not to transform its hits into big feature films right after the last season finale ?? The TV's formal actor and recent successful cinema director (Rob Reiner) said once in a documentary "movies' stars were like royalty but us as TV people were the opposite !", I think that nearly applied to the shows also. However, the picture had changed lately, yet for shows only !

I think Hollywood mania over the TV's classics began humbly after the (The Fugitive - 1994). Then at the end of the 1990s all the hell broke loose. Like all the insolvent majors suddenly discovered the hidden treasure and started to plunder it desperately and milk it madly ! Therefore, every year we're on a date of perverting a good work or a good memory or both. It's sad not only to make something that never outclassed the original, but ALSO to make something that is considered in the lists of the worst movies ever, the biggest flops, etc. Just titles like (The Dukes of Hazzard), (The Honeymooners), (Scooby-Doo) may capture your attention nicely as TV shows, but once you know that we're talking about the movies then I believe you would feel the desire to vomit !

As some fine reviewer mentioned smartly that originally (Starsky & Hutch) wasn't a big massive hit at its time, I totally agree and I had to add that the exploiters here didn't even try to overstep anything too. With names like Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson you get a pretty clear notion what movie that you're about to watch. But here, this one doesn't want to regain the original, parody its time, make something for its own, or design a strong action comedy all at once. It was nothing but short little sketches (or rather skits) that made 100 minutes movie.

It's not bad but there was a certain amount of muddling all the way. The 2 leads are dressed up like the Easy Rider's leads !? Don't think it's a mocking at old anti-buddy cop movie like that, or else, it was maybe the 2 actors' suggestion to shake this script up a bit ?. Nothing in the original was appealing to be remade, and apparently the filmmaker found nothing to reinvent either ? So it was some flashy colorful scenes here and there, with little cleverness that must make you ask : maybe the whole script was meant to totally another movie and it got made under the name of "Starsky & Hutch" ?, well it happened before, as (Die Hard: With a Vengeance)'s script was initially meant to be another Lethal Weapon's flick, see how the buddy-cop movies are so flexible and easy !

OK, I liked the dancing fight at the disco, the song (Don't Give Up On Us Baby) which was sung in the first place by David Soul (the real Hutchinson in the TV show), hmmm.. what else? In similar cases of puzzlement like this I would say "Hey, the girls were hot too" ironically they weren't !

Wanna talk about some things I hated here, take a list : the sense of belittlement which ruled the whole thing. Good actress named (Juliette Lewis) in worthless tasteless role and performance. (Huggy Bear) as ugly stereotyped character (true shock for the lovers of the first, more respectable, Huggy Bear). (Will Ferrell)'s cameo which was the climax this movie reached of being unfunny, nasty, and beggar for a laugh. Even the appearance of the original TV's leads (Paul Michael Glaser) and (David Soul) was so poor, yes it's rare recognition by the movie (which other movies based on TV shows didn't even consider) but what supposed to be such a magical moment turned out to be a hasty wholly fabricated scene. That scene forced me to recall one bad cartoon show named (Tom and Jerry Kids), because unintentionally it gave you the feeling that we were watching some buffoonery was made by kids ! It was more like 2 kids were playing at the day care then their parents came finally to take them home !

If you wanna complain in one sentence then let's say it's a comedy that lacks comedy. Basically the real personality of the movie is confused. But I think it doesn't have one in the first place. Or mercifully it's a weak one despite its potentials or correctly compared to them.

A painful last note : (Paul Michael Glaser), who played David Starsky in the TV show, said more than once at the movie's premiere (I thought it was a better idea to make a movie about how Starsky and Hutch may look and live today after 30 years of their first appearance).. Dream on brother !
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yet another Stiller turkey.
co010c66508 June 2008
The TV series was classic stuff so there was no way I was going to avoid giving this a look but having been unfortunate enough to have witnessed a number of Ben Stiller 'comedies' (virtually all of which have been unwatchable) in the past, it would be the understatement of the millennium to suggest I tuned into this effort with a fair amount of scepticism. It wasn't misplaced as this is truly awful and makes we wonder even more how Stiller has ever been able to earn a living as a comedy actor (The fact that American audiences have an unerring ability to laugh at absolutely anything might have something to do with it).

To complement Stiller's Starsky, we have the equally dreadful, unfunny and charisma-free Owen Wilson as Hutch, whose smugness, cheesy grin and awful voice has allowed him to take over the mantle from Jim Carrey as Hollywood's most annoying (and unfunny) comedy actor. As if the gruesome twosome weren't enough to contend with, we are also subjected to a smug, self-satisfied non-performance by rap singer Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear (quite why the words 'rap' and 'singer' belong in the same sentence is another mystery to me).

The biggest mystery of all is, of course, how this puerile pile of tedious dross ever saw the light of day.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Spinoof Ever
Grissom666 April 2008
Detective David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is the most dedicated undercover cop working the mean streets of Bay City, California. Maniacally devoted to his job, when he's on duty no crime goes unpunished -- and he's always on duty. And that's a good thing, because he has big shoes to fill: his mother was one of the best cops in the history of Bay City. But while his mom stuck with the same partner throughout her entire career, due to his extremely zealous brand of police work, Starksy burns through partners faster than his beloved Gran Torino goes through spark plugs.

Detective Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is having career issues of his own -- he's a good cop, but his laid back personality and desire for a quick buck don't always get the job done. He has excellent instincts; he just needs a little bit of focus to keep him on the admittedly less profitable side of the law. Exasperated Bay City Police Caption Dobey (Fred Williamson) has found the perfect solution for two of his biggest problems: pair up Starsky and Hutch and put them out on the streets.Starsky & Hutch 10/10
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All the tools there: and still a miss!
kaj.lb23 October 2004
Let's take a tour down the shopping mall! Buy all the things needed to cook a lovely dinner! Take it home and...

Spoil it all.

This is what this movie is all about.

Everything is there, and in place. A story that is good enough. Scenes that could be. Actors look good. Outline nice. Everything in place

But it falls.

Heavily.

Snoop D. seems to be the ONLY bright spot. He portraits a 'snitch' that caught the trailer-making guys with his (will be famous) comment on the golf course: 'I know even more about grass'.

This is a movie that could have been a 5 star. But, unfortunately all the good food is botched.

== 1/2 SPOILER SECTION == Ironically, one other scene that attracted the trailer-makers was Hutch (?) entering with his Ford Torrino (?) at the entrance in a cool move. In the aftertexts this scene was shown when the stunt-driver crashed/wrecked the Ford. It broke my heart, since I'm a Ford fan, but it is really a big irony: he had everything going for him. Cool car, a cool scene. But crashed it. In contrast they reshooted the scene when, in reality, the whole movie should be remade as well!

== 100% SPOILER SECTION == Copying Captain America (Peter Fonda) and 'Billy' started of like a cool move. Until I spotted the disc brake on 'Wyatt':s front wheel! And at arriving at the 'saloon' he visibly collides with the parked car... Sigh... The front brake was not enough...

The final jump... Another total miss! The car is visibly destroyed! Who do they take us for? Idiots? Yes! And... worst part: I rented it! == /END SPOILER SECTION ==

Bottom line: Take my advice: skip this film.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Three laughs and a 3-way
Dr. Gore19 March 2004
*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

"Starsky and Hutch" certainly had a lot of promise. I wanted to believe that Stiller and Wilson could make a funny movie. So I went out to see it. My dad told me that it was going to stink and I shouldn't waste my money. I'm afraid I have to tell you that Pop was pretty much on target. Dang.

"Starsky and Hutch" was a flat, unfunny comedy. I can sum up everything that was good about it this way: It had three laughs and a 3-way. I laughed a grand total of three times. Yes. I was counting. Just do the math to see how "Starsky and Hutch" adds up. For a feature with a running time of 101 minutes, why that's one laugh every 33.6 minutes! For a $6.50 matinee, that's $2.16 a laugh! Wow! What a bargain! When I look at it this way, I get really, really depressed. That's just the feeling you want to have after seeing a comedy.

After watching "Starsky and Hutch", I think I can now safely say that Owen Wilson doesn't do it for me. I've liked him in other movies but his act is getting worn out. He's got the laid back thing going on but it's not making me laugh. He looks like he'd be much happier sitting by a pool with a large alcoholic drink than actually taking the time to make a movie. Come to think of it, that does sound like a good idea. He may be on to something.

There was one cool scene which showed the start of a three-way between Wilson, Smart and Electra. This pleased me immensely. Amy Smart lays some kisses on Carmen Electra. You gotta love that. I can give the movie a point for that scene. To paraphrase Snoop Dogg, "That puts you at point one!"
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why has this been slated so badly? I liked it.
richieandsam21 October 2013
STARSKY & HUTCH

I had seen this film for sale in my local DVD shop so cheap that I had to buy it. Everyone I had spoken to that had seen it had told me that this film was terrible. Every review I had read about it says it is really bad… but my attitude towards it was "How bad can it be?". The truth is… I actually quite enjoyed it.

The movie is based on an old TV show of the same name. 2 police officers are forced to work with each other, but they are both completely different to each other. They are trying to hunt down a drug dealer that has some cocaine in his possession that is completely undetectable. Not even the police dogs can smell it.

The comedy in this movie is not great. I laughed out loud once throughout the entire movie. But that is not to say it was not funny. There were a few moments in the film that made me smile and I thought were entertaining. I do wish it was funnier though. The story was quite good, but nothing we have not seen a million times before in buddy cop movies.

The action as really good in places. The car chases were really good and the stunts reminded me of watching the classic TV shows that I loved as a kid, Knight Rider and the Dukes of Hazzard. It was great to see the old red Gran Torino with the white stripe along the side. I love that car… I don't really remember it from TV as I never watched the show, but I know the car. During the credits at the end, you can see some of the car stunts that go wrong during filming. These are awesome, but it is a shame to see the lovely cars getting smashed up.

I like the actors in this movie. The film stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. These guys are funny guys, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I thought Ben played his part well and Owen played his part well too, but for some reason the chemistry between them both felt like something was missing. I could not imagine them as partners and even after watching them for 90 minutes, I still didn't really see them as partners. But nonetheless, they both did well and I enjoyed watching them. There were a lot of other famous faces in this film that I didn't know were in it… Snoop Dogg, Fred Williamson, Vince Vaughn, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra and Chris Penn. Also I loved the cameo at the end from the original Starsky & Hutch, David Soul & Paul Michael Glaser from the TV show. I loved it and thought it was a great ending to the film.

OK, so the film as a whole was not brilliant, the comedy was not up to par and the acting was not great in places, the story could have been better too but this was still really entertaining. It did not deserve the bashing by all the reviewers that it took.

I will give this film 7 out of 10.

"A floater. Nothing harder to solve than a floater. No prints, body's usually bloated, it's next to impossible. All right, I say we push it out and hope the current pushes it down to the next precinct."

For more reviews, please like my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sporadically Funny But Unexciting And Predictable Comic Cop Caper
ShootingShark1 February 2009
Dave Starsky and Ken Hutchinson are newly partnered detectives in Bay City in the seventies who get wind of a big cocaine deal coming down. Can they figure out the who, where and when required to crack the case ?

I quite enjoyed this goofy comedy; I just wish they hadn't called it Starsky & Hutch. As a spoof of seventies cop shows, it's fun, with a couple of macho ladies' men in their souped up car, their hip connections, giggly women with too much hairspray and bad guys with moustaches. As a remake of William Blinn's old TV show (of which I must confess I was a big childhood fan), it's just bizarre. On the show, Starsky and Hutch were a couple of action-packed cops who got the job done, albeit with wisecracks and the occasional prank. Here, Starsky is some sort of mother-fixated nerd, and Hutch is a kind of latter-day hippie airhead; neither bear any resemblance to the originals. As often in these type of pictures, the (many) screenwriters struggle to balance the comic / dramatic / action tone - it pretty much goes for all out laughs, but would be a lot funnier if it wasn't shackled to recreating the old show. Also, where's the action ? What I loved about the TV series was the dependable fights and car chases in the Striped Tomato - there's almost no such fun here; presumably the director wasn't up to staging scenes with anything more complicated than a woman taking her top off. However, there are some good points - Stiller's arms-flailing physical swagger is a dead-on recreation of Starsky, Dogg is terrific as supercool Huggy Bear (love that Lincoln Continental), as is Williamson (a living breathing seventies classic, from such flicks as Hell Up In Harlem and Take A Hard Ride) - and funny scenes, such as the shooting-the-horse-in-the-garage misunderstanding and the police brutality interview with Cheung. Overall though I found it disappointing, compared to equivalents like Dragnet or the recent Miami Vice. It scores some points by including the classic 1976 Ford Gran Torino and having Glaser and Soul appear at the end (although sadly Antonio Fargas and the late Bernie Hamilton do not), but like so many Hollywood films it cashes in on a name. Ferrell appears unbilled as a stoolie.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a load of rubbish
puppiemaster6 March 2004
Was this supposed to be an action movie or a comedy, cause it failed on both counts,

They took 2 super cool cops from the 70's and turned them into idiots, It took all my will power to actually sit through this movie.

When I got out and was asked to rate this film by a friend I tried to find some positive points, I found 2, Snoop dogg was actually ok as Huggy Bear and it was not as bad as Cat in the Hat.

Its such a pity cause I really wanted to like this film.

but what do I know? I think Blair witch was complete rubbish and that made millions as well
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Good Movie For A Bad Date
royceschmitz18 September 2005
If you are on the "Date From Hell", this is the perfect movie to seal the deal that your date will never call on you again. Again I am left wondering why people think Ben Stiller is funny. After taking a police drama from the 70's and turning it into a poorly written, poorly acted movie, I think I see a Razzie here. If they wanted to have done the movie and TV series justice the director would have followed the initial format of the Starsky&Hutch pilot. These were two good cops, who could also work in the "gray" area of the law when needed to get the bad guys. In other words, it was not a comedy show which looked like that were in love with each other (note the little birdy flying around Stiller when Owens is sing "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and making google eyes at each other). About the only good thing about this movie, besides the ending, is the soundtrack, great 70's and 80's tunes throughout.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this