Fever Pitch (2005) Poster

(2005)

A Classic (and great!) Romantic Comedy
scottdpearson16 April 2005
What I expected: A rather lame overly-stereotypical portrayal of a sports-mad guy and an equally lame stereotypical portrayal of the gal who likes him yet suffers while being second banana to his overly zealous support for his favorite sports team.

What I got: An even-handed story where both guy and gal end up admitting -- to themselves and each other -- that they each have passions in their lives yet each can forgive the other to save the love they share.

Sounds sappy but with the nonstop humor and terrific performances this story works! Barrymore is classic Barrymore: that perfect blend of sweet, strong, and adorable. We expect that from her and she delivered.

But Fallon is the nice surprise in this film. He brings to the role the perfect blend of sports nut combined with the appreciation for the normal things in life, like caring about kids and his girlfriend. Fallon delivers his lines with subtle perfection. He can be caring ("You just ran across the field for me!") and in the same breath be obliviously blinded by his love for the Red Sox ("How did the grass feel? Kinda spongy?") at the same time. Fallon's portrayal "made" the movie. Hopefully, this movie marks the beginning of a better film career for Fallon, something beyond the over-the-top sophomoric humor typical of SNL alums (i.e. Will Ferrell).

In short, a movie that could have fallen victim to stereotypical male vs. female characters rose above that limitation and provided nonstop spot-on humorous lines, most delivered with brilliant subtlety by Fallon.

Hey, I saw this with my wife -- not a baseball fan -- and she loved it as much as I did. It's neither a "Guy Flick" nor a "Chick Flick". It's a terrific make-you-laugh flick. Go see it!
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A different kind of Romantic Comedy
americas_for_sale10 April 2005
I went to see Fever Pitch with my Mom, and I can say that we both loved it. It wasn't the typical romantic comedy where someone is pining for the other, and blah blah blah... You weren't waiting for the climatic first kiss or for them to finally get together. It was more real, because you saw them through the relationship, rather than the whole movie be about them getting together. People could actually relate to the film, because it didn't seem like extraordinary circumstances, or impossible situations. It was really funny, and I think it was Jimmy Fallon's best performance. All in all... I would definitely recommend it!
64 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awwww
MissPearBanana20 February 2006
I saw this movie on Thursdays night after having a really boring day. I had no expectations, those I had were rather negative. Being that the only movie I've ever watched Jimmy in is the American version of Taxi with Queen Latifah(?)...don't ask why! But seriously..this movie is so cute! Drew Barrymore is always sweet, but I almost fell in love with Fallon's character. Why can't I meet a cute nerd like that. :) Movies like that are excellent. Simple, sweet and necessary. Sunday on a Thursdays. I'm not even a sports fan, but it's something about American movies with baseball that fascinates me. Probably the fact that we don't have that sport here in Norway.

(My first comment ever.) Haha
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sweet and Charming Date Movie
noralee15 April 2005
"Fever Pitch" is a sweet and charming addition to the small genre of sports romances as date movies or movies a son could be willing to go to with his mother (though the guys in the audience got noticeably restless during the romantic scenes).

I have lived through a milder version of such a story, as my first exposure to baseball was dating my husband the spring after the Mets first World Series win and then I watched the Mets clinch their next one because I was the one still up in the wee hours with our two little sons, who have grown up to teach me more about baseball through our local neighborhood National League team's other heartbreaking failures to win it again (and it was me who took our older son to his only Fenway Park game as I caught a bit of Red Sox fever as a graduate student in Boston).

So compared to reality, the script believably creates two people with actual jobs. It is particularly impressive that Drew Barrymore's character is a substantive workaholic who has anti-Barbie skills, though she pretty much only visits with her three bland girlfriends during gym workouts that allow for much jiggling and the minor side stories with her parents don't completely work.

It is even set up credibly how she meets Jimmy Fallon's math teacher and how she falls for his "winter guy" -- though it's surprising that his Red Sox paraphernalia filled apartment didn't tip her off to his Jekyll-and-Hyde "summer guy." Their relationship crisis during the baseball season is also played out in a refreshingly grown-up way, from efforts at compromise to her frank challenges to him, centered around that they are both facing thirty and single. Fallon surprisingly rises to his character's gradual emotional maturity.

While the ending borrows heavily from O. Henry, the script writers did a yeoman job of quickly incorporating the Sox's incredible 2004 season into a revised story line (with lots of cooperation from the Red Sox organization for filming at the stadium).

The script goes out of its way to explain why Fallon doesn't have a Boston accent, as an immigrant from New Jersey, but that doesn't explain why his motley friends don't. The most authentic sounding Boston sounds come from most of his "summer family" of other season ticket holders, who kindly kibitz the basics of Sox lore to neophyte Barrymore (and any such audience members).

The song selection includes many Red Sox fans' favorites, from the opening notes of the classic "Dirty Water," though most are held to be heard over the closing credits as if you are listening to local radio and are worth sitting through to hear.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This baseball film stays in the Park
elitt10 May 2005
"Fever Pitch" shows what obsessions or deep passions can do to a relationship when both partners don't share the same thing or at least at the same level. Ben (Jimmy Fallon) is a devout Red Sox fan. He is a fanatic. He goes to every game, his apartment looks like a Fenway Park gift shop, and he goes to Florida every spring to watch the team play in spring training when the games don't count. Lindsey (Drew Barrymoore) is a young executive on her way up in the real world and is more or less married to her job. When the two of them eventually go out on their first date, she gets really sick, and he stays the night and takes care of her. This blows her away and she is sold. The relationship is full steam ahead, but the problem is that it's wintertime and baseball season hasn't gotten started yet. She doesn't know what she is in for.

Naturally, the Red Sox get in the way. Lindsey tries to be a good sport about it and even tries to learn the game and the two of them actually start going to games together and she becomes a fan as well. But things get out of hand when the team gets closer and closer to the playoffs and thats when problems arise.

"Fever Pitch" is cute, sweet, and has some funny moments. Jimmy Fallon is well cast and Drew Barrymoore isn't as annoying as she normally is. But there isn't anything really special about this film. Much of the arc in this film is very conventional and everyone already knows how the season turns out. Let's face it. Romantic comedies really need to be original or have something different to them to escape many of the typical clichés in this genre. At least it didn't take place in Manhattan like most of these films. "Fever Pitch" would make a nice rental and its a pretty good date film. (***)
33 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Darn Good
imxo14 April 2005
My daughter gets really put out at me when I refer to Drew Barrymore as looking as if she'd been hit in the face with a frying pan, not to mention her Dudley Dooright chin that Jay Leno would die for. How wonderful, then, when I discovered in "Fever Pitch" that I really like Miss Barrymore; and Jimmy Fallon; and the Red Sox; and Boston! This film is probably best characterized as a sweet, light comedy. To be absolutely stereotypical, the girls will like the movie for its romantic charm and Jimmy Fallon's vulnerability, and the boys will like it for all the male bonding and the depiction of sports mania.

My sports-hating wife, my teenage daughter, and I all found something to like in the film. That says something in itself. It's a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half or so, and is probably a really good date flic, too.
72 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is what it is, a decent romantic comedy
Steve K (ruth-boaz)5 April 2005
If you enjoy romantic comedies then you will find this tale of two 30 year old singles who fall in love during the American League pennant race satisfying. On the other hand, if you are hanging around waiting for Kill Bill Volume 3 or Sin City 2 then you probably should stay away. The plot contains the obligatory guy meets girl's friends, girl meets guy's friends, and guy meets girl's parents scenes. There is even a guy meets girl's pet dog scene. That's all par for the course in a movie like this. However, what I liked about it was that the plot delved into the decision making process people make as they begin to realize that their romantic interest is not perfect and is in fact a bit quirky. The plot centers around answering the questions; how much quirkiness is too much and how much love does it take to trump those quirks? It is interesting to see the characters work that out because deep down (if we admit it) we all have quirks. Barrymore does a very good job in her role and Fallon sorta surprised me -- he's good as well. I rate it a 7 out of 10 as a romantic comedy. Add one point if you are a baseball fan or romantically involved with one. Add another point if you are a Red Sox fan and subtract two points if you are a Yankees fan.
57 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Take me out to the ball game!
jotix10017 April 2006
The Farrelly brothers, Bobby and Peter, are at it again. With "Fever Pitch" the creators of other films that have dealt with a lot of gross themes, abandon that tactic when they decided to bring Nick Hornby's film to the screen, something that it would have been hard to do. The novel, of the same title, dealt with a man's obsession with soccer, since it is set in England, where that sport consumes most of British sports fans. It's to the credit of the writing team of Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandell, to transform the book into a language that would appeal to most Americans, when they make their hero, a Boston Red Sox fan.

"Fever Pitch" is a film that presents an obsessive fan, Ben Wrightly, whose life revolves into the Red Sox season, and who is an eighth grade teacher with uncanny ways for involving his students into the subject he tries to teach them. When Ben takes four of his best pupils for a tour of a local firm, he meets, and falls hopelessly in love with the brainy Lindsey Meeks, a young woman who is going places, but at thirty, has no life of her own.

The story follows the two lovers through the ritual of attending the Red Sox, at home games, in Fenway Park. This team's fans are probably the most loyal people in the world, having stuck with a team that does marvelous things but, until 2004, never won a World Series. In fact, the ending, from what we heard, had to be changed because that was the year in which they finally won the event that had eluded them for eighty six years! Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon are perfect as the couple at the center of the film. Ms. Barrymore is a natural who always surprises in her appearances in front of the camera. Jimmy Fallon, a popular television comedian, turned movie actor, has a better opportunity here than in his last appearance in "Taxi", in our humble opinion.

The Farrelly brothers film will satisfy their fans as well as baseball fans with this baseball tale.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who told Jimmy Fallon he was funny or could act?
anhedonia20 April 2005
"Fever Pitch" isn't a bad film; it's a terrible film.

Is it possible American movie audiences and critics are so numbed and lobotomized by the excrement that Hollywood churns out that they'll praise to the skies even a mediocre film with barely any laughs? That's the only reason I can think of why this horrible romantic comedy (and I use that term loosely because there's nothing funny in this film) is getting good reviews.

I sat through this film stunned that screenwriters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel would even for an instant think their script was funny.

The brilliant Nick Hornby usually translates well to film. He adapted "Fever Pitch" for a British film starring Colin Firth and Ruth Gemmell in 1997; Peter Hedges found Hornby's voice for "About a Boy" (2002) and when "High Fidelity" was Americanized for a movie in 2000, writers D.V. DeVincentis, Steve Pink, John Cusack and Scott Rosenberg didn't go wrong because they kept the essence of Hornby's wit and humor. They made one of the best films of that year.

So why does the American version of "Fever Pitch" go so painfully awry? The British version wasn't a masterpiece, but it was charming, funny, unexpected and gave us two characters we could like, respect and understand.

But Ganz and Mandel have excised everything funny in Hornby's work. In Americanizing the story, they've butchered it, removing all that was good and unique about Hornby's work and replacing it with conventional drivel.

They've transformed a funny story into a formulaic romantic comedy, never once veering from the wretched formula. Lindsey (Drew Barrymore) has three girlfriends, each of whom has a distinct function. One's overweight, the second's cynical and ambitious, and the third's a romantic. Want to guess how many male friends Ben (Jimmy Fallon) has?

What made "High Fidelity" such fun was not only a good leading man and lady, but engaging supporting characters. In this "Fever Pitch," the six supporting friends do or say nothing especially funny. They're so insignificant, they're not even decorative. The only reason they're in the film is because the formula demands it. Poor Ione Skye winds up as one Lindsey's pals in a thankless role. The lovely Skye must have been wishing Lloyd Dobler would swoop in and take her away. Come to think of it, Cusack would've made an excellent Ben. Of course, Cusack is too smart to attach himself to such an utterly tedious script.

There isn't a single, solitary moment in this film that seems original or unforced. Every plot turn is predictable, every lame joke telegraphed. Ganz and Mandel labor for laughs. The first 45 minutes are so excruciatingly slow, you wonder if these chaps realized they were writing a comedy. You can mark the plot turns in this film by your watch. It's almost as if Ganz and Mandel penned this with some screen writing guru's formula pasted on the wall. When they got to a certain page, they looked up at the formula and said, "OK, the guru says this has to happen now." And, presto!

Directors Bobby and Peter Farrelly don't help the film any. They have no concept how to introduce their story and characters (they hand over the V.O. narration not to the protagonist, but to another guy who sits behind Ben at Fenway Park). Thanks to some extremely clunky writing, we have to watch Barrymore and Fallon stumble through their unfunny initial meetings.

Barrymore does cute and adorable better than most. She's as good at it as Goldie Hawn in her heyday. But even her cuteness can't save this extraordinarily awful film. She tries hard to wring some energy and humor out of this story. About 30 minutes into the film, Lindsey tells Ben, "You're funny." The only explanation for her remark is that it was in the script. For Fallon's Ben never says anything even remotely funny. Fallon is neither witty nor funny; when he does comedy, he overacts.

Fallon was never any good on "Saturday Night Live." He was quite possibly the least funny person on that show. Remember that lame sketch about a radio DJ who did all the voices? The only reason "Weekend Update" worked occasionally was because Fallon's cohort, Tina Fey, knows a thing or two about comedy.

Actors who think they're funny and behave that way rarely, if ever, are actually funny. That's true of Fallon. He thinks he's hysterically funny when he barely raises a chuckle. His stuttering, unsure-of-himself shtick didn't work on the small screen; it's lousier on the big screen.

Unfortunately for Fallon, his role in this picture also requires a few dramatic moments. If you thought his comedy was bad, wait till you get a load of his dramatic stuff. Two scenes in particular - the first in a park, the second in front of Ben's school - are painful to watch. The scenes require an actor with a smidgen of dramatic ability, but Fallon has neither the knowledge nor the ability to make them work. His range of emotions doesn't even run the gamut from A to B.

Ben has no personality or depth. Often, he comes across as an oaf. And not a lovable one at that. It boggles the mind what Lindsey would find attractive about him. Compare Fallon's performance to Firth's in the British version, and you'll understand how terribly flat, unfunny and forced Fallon's Ben is and how wrong he is for this role. Watching Fallon in "Fever Pitch" makes one long for the dramatic depth and comedic nuance of Ashton Kutcher!

Just as "High Fidelity" did, an Americanized "Fever Pitch" could've worked brilliantly. It just needed better writers, more competent directors and, most definitely, a stronger, funnier, smarter leading man. Do yourself a huge favor: Avoid this rotten film; rent the 1997 British version and read Hornby's book, instead.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fever Pitch is a hit
Jessica11 April 2005
This is a great movie for the true romantics and sports lovers alike.

Drew Barrymore is at her best in this movie. As a Drew fan it was quite nice to see her shine after having several flops. I had my doubts about Jimmy Fallon but he totally delivered as Ben the comical, sports crazed sweetheart. The comedy in this movie is great, there were several laugh out loud moments.

Their first date started rocky when he showed up at her apartment with flowers and she was sick to her stomach from eating a new place earlier in the day. Instead of leaving he helps take care of her, helping her change into pajama's then cleaning up the puke on her toilet and bathroom later telling her that she was 'very lady-like...no chunks.' Everything goes great between Ben and Lindsay the whole winter but then baseball season starts. Lindsay starts to realize just how obsessed Ben is with the Red Sox and why this seemingly great guy is still single. She tries to shrug it off and think of it as a good thing as she has a busy work schedule and she wont feel guilty for working extra hours while he is at games. She even buys all the books on The Red Sox she can find including one on 'The curse of Bambino'.

Everything is going pretty well until Lindsay has a false alarm having missed her period. It both makes them both realize how serious they are getting and she begins to question if this is the person she wants to be with. A very touching part in the movie is after she tells him she got her period it shows him sadly putting away a baby sized Red Sox jersey he had bought just in case she was pregnant.

Eventually Ben tries to show her how important she is and decides to go to her friends birthday Party after she said "I had to check my calender and when I saw the there was a Red Sox/Yankee game I knew I would be going stag'. After the party Ben tells her it was 'the best night of his life'. Shortly after he gets a call from his pal who went to the game he gave up for the party and told him "IT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" Ben freaks out about missing it and ends up really hurting Lindsay when she says "A few minutes ago you were saying this was the best night of your life" he says "well that was a few minutes ago."

So they separate for a while, he realizes how immature his obsession is and decides to sell his season tickets which he inherited from his uncle because if he didn't it would 'remind him too much of what he gave up for them'. Lindsay finds out through a friend and decides to stop him realizing he is doing it for her. It ends very sweetly showing how his childhood love for baseball has been over shadowed for a whole new deeper love, Lindsay. They still go to the games and even attend the final World Series game and St. Louis and it is a happy ending all around. 2 thumbs up!!
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Decent Enough Distraction
Barky4417 April 2005
Fever Pitch is a fun enough movie. It has a lot of funny moments (including a hilariously disturbing shower scene). Like most romantic comedies, it has a "dead zone" in the middle where all the heavy, "she's breaking up with me" stuff happens, but other than that it continues to be funny until the end.

Even though the plot revolves around fanaticism towards the Red Sox, it's not overloaded with sports. You don't have to be a fan to enjoy this film.

Of course that's easy for me to say: I've been a Red Sox fan since I was a boy, too.

7 out of 10.

Barky
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I now officially forgive Jimmy Fallon for "Taxi"
TheMovieMark8 April 2005
I have to admit that I went into Fever Pitch with low expectations. It's no huge revelation for me to say that Jimmy Fallon's last movie (Taxi) was Catwomanly bad, and the trailers for Fever Pitch were all right but didn't mesmerize me. I was already preparing some cheesy baseball puns for my review...

"I like Jimmy Fallon, but Taxi was strike one in his movie career. Well, now we've got steeeeee-riiiiiike twoooooooo! One more strike, and it's back to SNL!" or "Buy yourself some peanuts and cracker jacks, but don't buy tickets to Fever Pitch. You'll walk out of the theater and never go back!" Then the movie had to go and be way more entertaining than I was expecting. But hey, I couldn't let my puns go to waste, right? Another reason I thought I wouldn't care for the movie is that I hate the Boston Red Sox. My whole family hates 'em. The mere mention of Pedro Martinez' name sends me running to the bathroom. Oh man, hold on...

...All right, I'm back. Anyway, my mom, who is a St. Louis Cardinals fan, still believes the World Series was rigged last year. She refuses to believe the Sox won it legitimately. But I'm man enough to admit that Fever Pitch caused me to sympathize, albeit only slightly, with the plight of Red Sox fans.

Anybody who has a passion for sports will be able to relate to this movie on some level. Unless you have a favorite sports team you can't fully understand the extreme highs and lows that a fan such as Fallon's Ben can go through. There's nothing quite so fresh as the smell of a new season and nothing quite so smooth as a clean slate. Well, figuratively speaking. It's the joy of being a sports fan. "Wait 'til next year," becomes your mantra, your motto, your prayer - and Fever Pitch effectively captures that essence.

I love the fact that the movie takes a fictional story and throws it against the real-life backdrop of the Red Sox' improbable World Series run last year. I don't love it so much that I want to marry it, but you know what I mean. I expected this to be handled in a fairly cheesy manner, and while some of the humor is a little silly, it's actually pretty realistic.

You see, Ben's uncle took him to his first Red Sox game when he was 7 years old, and when he died he left Ben his two season tickets. Ben hasn't missed a game in 23 years. At the beginning of each season he has a draft day where he and his friends get together to figure out who gets to go to which games with him. He makes everybody dance for the Yankees games and whenever somebody complains he threatens them with tickets for the games with the Royals (sorry Mr. Shade) and the Devil Rays. It's a very good scene, and it works so well because I actually know of people who do the "ticket draft day." I also must admit that I can relate to when Ben goes to dinner with Lindsey and her parents. The Red Sox are playing a road game, but instead of watching it live on TV Ben decides to tape it. One of the most dangerous things in life is taping a game and then being in public and trying to avoid hearing the result. Been there. It's a very tense and scary situation. Weeeeeell, Ben enters the danger zone when a guy shows up at the restaurant and mentions watching the game. Ben immediately covers his ears and starts shrieking like a banshee so as not to hear the outcome. Lindsey is embarrassed, and her parents don't know what to think. Yeah, sports fans can be weird, I don't deny it. But it's real.

Now if you're expecting the crude, edgy stuff that the Farrelly brothers are known for then you could be disappointed. They do have their moments though, like when Ben says he likes how Lindsey sometimes talks out of the side of her mouth "like an adorable stroke victim," but overall this is definitely a softer, more romantic side that the bros are putting on display.

That's not to say that the movie ever gets way too sappy. Thankfully, when the sap starts to ooze a bit, the Farrellys know when to pull away. A romantic moment with Lindsey jumping on the field and running over to Ben to declare her undying love for him turns into Ben sincerely replying, "You've gotta tell me about the outfield. Is it spongy?" Jimmy Fallon proves that with the right material he can handle himself well on the big screen, and Drew Barrymore remains a constant source of romantic comedy charm. Fever Pitch is just good, solid entertainment that takes a somewhat fresh look at the romantic comedy genre. It's a movie that guys and gals can both relate to. Particularly the guys who practice sports fanaticism at some point during the year and the ladies who must deal with 'em.

Now if the Red Sox fans could please shut up about the "Curse of the Bambino" I would appreciate it. My Memphis Tigers have NEVER won the NCAA basketball championship, so I officially declare my plight greater than yours.

THE GIST Fans of Jimmy Fallon, Drew Barrymore, romantic comedy, the Red Sox, baseball, or sports fanaticism in general should consider giving Fever Pitch a look. I wouldn't go out of my way to rush and see it at the first available time, but it'll make a great matinée.

Rating: 3.25 (out of 5)
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Compares well with the UK version
jack-bramah20 July 2005
I got to see this on the plane to NZ last week, and was wondering how it would measure up to both the UK film and the book. I have to say I was favorable impressed. If anything the fanatical attachment to the Red Sox during the lean years works even better than the original devotion to Arsenal FC, who have had success through the years. As a Brit I was also interested to see that you don't need to understand baseball to get what's going on. One question springs to mind - Was the screenplay written using the Sox as the team even before they finally broke the Curse of the Bambino? Or was another team in the frame? As a Red Sox fan myself (weird I know, a Brit who understands baseball) I have to say that it added to the enjoyment.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch the UK version instead
gtgleeson3 May 2007
I've enjoyed Nick Hornby's books, and their movie adaptations, but this is the exception. It was a huge disappointment, especially the character of "Ben" (Fallon), who comes across as a moron with almost no redeeming features.

I later found the original UK version, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119114/), and was delighted to see fully realized, believable characters (with a brilliant performance by Colin Firth as the central character "Paul Ashworth").

Don't waste your time, watch the UK version instead. Vastly superior script and acting.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fever all through the night
movieluvobivious15 March 2006
The movie shocked me. Personally i had herd mostly bad buzz. Well finally after owning the DVD for months now i pooped it in on a sleepless night. though the movie did drag the extra footage was used with purpose the seriousness of his passion and his recovery from addition to the game would have been less realistic if they had left out any scenes. The best thing about the movie is it's consistency with the relationship. There were no ex's popping up or characters threatening the relationship. I mean typically we see the girl meets boy by some amazing twist of fate,they date,something we saw coming breaks them up up and then they get back together in the last five minutes of the movie. but this movie did not follow that mold. We actually experienced the relationship and it's flaws and though the characters did have there moments of anti-love they did not have dramatic pauses were they went off and did a montage every 15 and then reunite in love again. i did not feel the movie was as predictable as the rest of the romance movies. The story was unique and truthful to reality in the way that i felt these people in the film were the most believable that i have seen in a romance film from modern times.And it did not hurt that all the baseball games were real and they were at the actual world series so fate kicked in a little there also. It's no "My fair lady" but it is a spirited and honest film. I'll simply say i like it.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I thought I was going to die of this Fever
zlyons8 April 2005
For those who have yet to see it save the money you were going to spend on your overpriced movie ticket and go spend it on a used DVD. I saw this movie Wednesday Night at Malco Paradiso, I was invited to the employee showing, and I regret accepting the invitation. The only good thing that came out of this was that I didn't waste me money paying for this atrocious movie.

Let me start off with beloved Drew Barrymore. She looked haggard throughout this whole movie. Drew Barrymore is not a definition of pretty or hot, she is plain haggard, and her acting skills are on par with the word haggard. She has been type-casted in a role she should never been casted in...the love interest of what seems to be a trend of romantic comedies that are neither romantic or comedic. Her acting was horrid.

Jimmy Fallon...I am actually surprised that he didn't laugh a couple of times like he does on SNL. Jimmy Fallon left SNL for this and Taxi? I would go crawling back now and do some live bloopers for us Jimmy. Jimmy Fallon had horrible timing and he was already given lame jokes. If he ad libbed some of the crap that came out of his mouth he should be shot.

The movie itself, had a unique idea, but the actors and writers made it horrible. I really wished I could have left the person who invited me and went to the employee showing of Sahara. There are lines in this movie that are probably the worst in history. It made no freaking since some of the stuff that was said. "The Seagull"? The whole scene where they are grilling? WTF? I blame this on the writers.

DO NOT GO SEE IT! This movie should not be a 6.1! I am going to laugh when you read a good comment and you go waste your money and you leave during the movie.

I really wish the Farellys would go back doing what they do best....movies that are funny.
19 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fever Pitch -- Wow
gbearwrites2 April 2005
My wife and I just saw Fever PItch in preview. Wow. I'd heard a lot about the film but didn't know what to expect. I'm not a huge fan (ok, not really a fan at all) of the Farelly brothers and didn't know how an American adaptation of the great Hornby novel would work. Jimmy Fallon hasn't ever given me reason to think he's very good and Drew Barrymore is fine. I have, however loved many of Ganz and Mandel's work. So, on this rainy Friday night my wife and I wanted a good movie date...or so we hoped.

We got it. Here the are big points.

First, it is funny. Fallon and Barrymore have surprising chemistry. They work. Who would have thunk it? They handle the initial awkwardness, the giddy first days of love, the emotional uncertainty of a blooming relationship, the trials of conflict and the peace of resolution. And they do it with humor. The beats are great and there are more than a few laugh out loud scenes.

Second, romance and baseball work together. The sneak preview theater was packed and women and men were all laughing and applauding -- albeit sometimes at different things because Fever Pitch isn't just a romantic comedy about a man and a woman; Fever Pitch is also a romantic comedy about men and sports. I don't want to give away any lines but there are beautifully crafted and insightful lines about why a man loves sports so much.

Third, it is not a Red Sox movie. The Red Sox provide the scenery and great scenery it is. They provide drama and humor and are simply a great character in this film. But they play a supporting role -- I wonder if you can nominate a team for a supporting actor role? -- and they play it well.

Fourth, it is beautiful. The film is beautifully shot, deliciously edited with great cinematic witticisms (look for a subtle and hysterical crotch shot of a famous statue) and tenderly crafted. The directors love their subject -- love -- and treat it fairly.

I'd write with more specifics but don't want to give away anything. Suffice it to say I loved the film and beg others to see it. You will love it too.
18 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hornby? Nah!
Superunknovvn30 January 2006
"Fever Pitch" is supposed to be an adaptation of Nick Hornby's book "Pitch Fever". Only in the book Hornby himself is the main character. And he hasn't got an obsession with baseball, but with soccer. The rest is the same as in the movie, though. Or is it? The truth is "Fever Pitch" has almost nothing to do with the book. It has not so much been based on as it has been inspired by Hornby's novel. On its own "Fever Pitch" is a pretty romantic movie that tries to avoid going over the top with its humor most of the time. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore try their best not to be unbearable and succeed more or less. The Farrelly brothers clearly took the Weitz brothers as an example for how to get out of the dick joke business into more mature movies. Of course, "Fever Pitch" doesn't hold a candle to the wonderful "About A Boy", but you have to say that the Farrellys were given weaker material to work with in the first place. In its best moments the movie makes you chuckle and in its worst it makes you yawn and look at your watch. Yep, the big problem with "Fever Pitch" is that it drags on too long. Stripped from Hornby's hilarious observations on his favorite sport and its connections to his own life the story just isn't very interesting (which has also already been the problem with the first adaptation of the novel). What do we learn from that? Just because an author is popular doesn't mean that all his novel translate well to film. J.D. Salinger had a reason why he denied film makers to ever adapt his stories, you know?
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot of women can relate to this movie
tamimarie22817 April 2006
I really liked this movie because I have a husband just like the guy in this movie. This movie is about Lindsey who meets Ben in the middle of winter when baseball season isn't in. She falls in love but when spring comes along, she gets the shock of her life when she is placed one step lower on her pedestal that Ben has put her on.

It's a funny movie with all of the baseball obsession that Ben has. He can't part from what he loves the most, that's what makes it so funny and why so many women can relate to Lindsey in real life. Also the people he sits with at the baseball games are just as obsessed as he is.

It's a funny movie and you won't strike out if you rent this one.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baseball's only a plot device--- Brits will love this heart-warming and believable story of love and life
bopdog14 August 2005
Delightful movie. Even though it features baseball as a central plot feature--- the hero and the heroine evolve their relationship around the game--- British people will get great pleasure from it as well. One needn't be a baseball fan, nor even a sports fan, for that matter, to appreciate the romance, warmth, and human story. The film footage from real life Boston and Yankees baseball games--- and the fans and the celebrations, etc., looked EXACTLY like the crazed fans here in Britain, cheering for their football-- soccer or rugby teams. The British audience members I saw the film with today (it just opened recently, a year after its American release) seemed to react to that sporty aspects the same way an American audience would have.

Admittedly, I like romantic comedies. However, some are awful, some are ordinary, some are good, and some are great. I'd say this was a great one. Drew Barrymore was charming and appealing, as was Jimmy Fallon, the new-to-movie-stardom dude. All movies are fake, of course, so the question isn't about a movie's reality, but rather to what degree, within the theatrical experience, can one suspend disbelief, enrol in the movie, and identify with, and cheer for, the characters.

I found the characters believable and likable, and I was able to hope they would resolve their difficulties and find happiness and love. Note that this is a romantic 'comedy'--- which, by the traditional definition, a comedy doesn't mean funny, so much as happy ending. I won't spill the ending, but I found it particularly exciting and satisfying, and not at all shocking, given the genre.

Hey all you Brits--- don't let the baseball theme deter you--- after all, it's based on a Nick Hornsby (an Englishman, I think) novel, and its appeal is universal! You'll love it. I gave this movie a well-deserved 10 out of 10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful, disjointed and scattered. - 3 of 10
deadsenator8 April 2005
I was really hoping that Jimmy Fallon would do well with a major role in a Farrelly Bros film, but I was disappointed with the results. I liked about 30% of Jimmy's dialogue; the rest was sophomoric and silly. I love joking around too, but "Wit is the salt of conversation, not the food." (Confucius?) Even if some of the one-liner jokes were funny, it was too much. So much so, that I had a really tough time seeing the romantic side of this story. The relationship did not fit very well in my book. I didn't believe Drew Barrymore's character either. She didn't fit or flesh out her job very well, in my opinion.

So, not having a believable story or romantic chemistry in a romantic comedy makes for a poor romantic comedy. That didn't come out quite right, but you get the gist. They missed the mark with this one.

Good baseball footage and a decent line here or there pumped it up from a one to a three in my book. Unfortunately, I can not give it any more than that. 3 of 10
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Barrymore Does Not Have The Same Chemistry With Fallon As She Did With Sandler.
FrancesTheWHORE12 April 2005
Fever Pitch turned out to be a pretty decent movie although I do not believe it represented itself fairly in the previews. It was made to be a comedy by the Farrelly Brothers and it was much more of a love story with a few funny moments. It is probably good they went this route with the film, due to the fact that I do not really think Jimmy Fallon is a very funny guy.

Fallon plays Ben, a math teacher and avid Boston Red Sox fan who has not missed a game in 23 years. Drew Barrymore is Lindsey Meeks, a professional of some kind (I'm not really sure if we are told what she actually does or not). Lindsey is up for a promotion and is working hard to make her relationship with Ben work while still reaching her promotion at work. She seems to be putting more into the relationship than Ben is at this point.

The ending was pretty original and somewhat sweet. Again, this is not what I was expecting from the Farrelly's. Also, if you, too, are a Red Sox fan, then this is a nice twist on how events went down and a good way to relive what was probably your greatest year in baseball.

If you plan on seeing a typical Farrelly gross-out film, this is not it. If you are on a date and want to see a decent movie that both men and women can enjoy, then this will do it. I rate it 7 of 10.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why, o why did u do this?
mopy23410 April 2005
I am a avid Red Sox fan and I was excite for this movie ever since they were filming during the playoffs last year. This movie was made out to be the biggest blockbuster movie containing the Red Sox ever. In my opinion, IT FLOPPED BADLY. At no point in this movie did I laugh for an extended amount of time and the best part of the movie was watching the game. Jimmy Fallon was far from funny and Drew Barrymore is ..........nevermind. Anyway, I advise you see this if u get free tickets or sneak in free but do not pay. I bought tickets for this movie to try and sneak into Sin City, unfortunately I was caught and I was made to Fever Pitch. I was excited because it was a great back-up movie to see but they did a horrible job and the Farrely Brothers dropped a notch in my book.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Curse of No Adam Sandler
theseboots8 April 2005
For almost a century, the Red Sox teased a nation of hopeful fans into believing that this year was THE year. In 2004, much to my chagrin (Yankees fan talking here), it finally was their year. Perhaps Fever Pitch was made to serve as a reminder of pre-World Championship sentiments.

It's really not fair I suppose to Fallon and Barrymore, because sometimes too much publicity can be a bad thing. It creates too much buzz and hope for a great film and when those coveted thumbs point up (which honestly doesn't seem to mean much these days), people are bound to raise their expectations.

As far as acting performances go, both romantic leads turn in what I would consider pretty mediocre performances. Fallon is an obvious amateur in the romantic comedy arena. He passes for okay, but his character at times, is too quick to change his mind about a serious issue - and situations become extremely unrealistic as a result. Of course, romantic comedies do not usually rank high in realism and Fallon does nothing to help the cause. I'm not saying Adam Sandler could have done a better job in the male lead but ...okay, I am saying that he could have done a better job (and I'm a big Jimmy Fallon fan). I think Jimmy just wasn't extremely convincing as a romantic male lead in this movie. Perhaps his metrosexuality got in the way, I don't know. But better luck next time, Jimmy.

Barrymore turns in a decent performance - I think I probably enjoyed her performance more than Jimmy's, although not significantly more. She had a few physically comedic scenes. Their romance overall was not convincing ...perhaps because the pace of the movie seemed a little disgruntled. And perhaps this is because the Farrelly Brothers had to rewrite the movie after the Sox won the ALCS.

Now, I'm a baseball fan and a Yankees fan specifically so watching the last parts of the movie was somewhat hard because I knew what was coming. They didn't show too much of the Yankees' heartbreaking meltdown (as a certain Sox fan pointed out to me) but honestly, I can barely remember the ending now (and I just saw it).

If you love baseball and you love the Red Sox - I definitely think you would appreciate this movie (which serves as a valentine to Red Sox devotees with the constant allusions to old Red Sox players, the many cursed games and other Sox anecdotes).

Overall, the Farrelly Brothers did NOT hit this one out of the park and neither did Barrymore or Fallon (even though both are adorable which is why I was so disappointed). Fever Pitch had a few good moments (which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it already) ...but if I weren't such a baseball and romantic comedy fan, I would probably call this one a rental.
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
98 minutes I'll never get back...
hedgepuppy24 April 2005
I saw this in a theater with only about 10 other people on a Friday night . . . that tells you how well the box office was going for this worthless movie, since it didn't open that long ago.

It's a well-known fact that the studios throw their lesser quality products at us just before the summer blockbuster season so they can make some return on their investments. That being said, there's got to be at least SOME quality! Acting, directing, editing and writing. You name it, it was bad. I liked Jimmy Fallon on "Weekend Update," but the man isn't an actor. Drew Barrymore can act somewhat when she's paired up with someone who can lead her along. If only she had that person on the set with her.

Ganz and Mandel are usually good screenwriters for cute and somewhat thought-provoking comedies like City Slickers and Parenthood and Speechless (I own all three of these movies) -- I don't know what happened here, but it didn't work. Nick Hornby's other novels, like "High Fidelity" and "About A Boy," were easily adaptable to the screen, and the screenwriters were faithful in their adaptations, even if they changed locales from London to Chicago. That's why those two movies fared so well critically. Ganz and Mandel didn't trust the novel, and decided to do some major dumbing-down of the material in order to appeal to a mass audience here in the States. They overshot the mark and went for retarded.

The editing was not at all proficient, and there was a sense quite often that the actors were pausing after their lines for laughter they had no hope of getting.

Save your box office money, rent the DVD of the British "Fever Pitch" starring Colin Firth, faithfully adapted from the Nick Hornby novel. You won't be disappointed. Unless you're a really big Jimmy Fallon fan, don't go to the theater to see this.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this