Freddy vs. Jason (2003) Poster

The best slasher film a real terror enjoyable movie from New Line Cinema
rambofan4life8 August 2018
Freddy Vs. Jason in my opinion is really enjoyable slasher film ever from two slasher icons Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street) and Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th). I have enjoyed this film a lot last night. Ken Kirzinger is a great Jason. Tough not my favorite Jason, but I enjoy the kills. Jason kills mostly of the people. I appreciate Robert Englund's performance and the make up in Freddy Vs. Jason more.I love the end which is set in Crystal Lake. Kelly Rowland was great as Kia she was one hot babe. Monica Keena was great heroine she helped Jason to defeat Freddy. The actress really well acted. This is the best movie so far for me I wish there would be more horror movies like this one today. I am glad this movie come out in 2003. It was a good slasher movie fun and entertaining. Robert Englund is and always will be the only Freddy Krueger. Jason defeated Freddy on the end off the film, in my opinion Jason won.

The only enjoyable Friday the 13th film from New Line Cinema that they made. Ronny Yu directed well this film and it is really underrated in my opinion this movie also made the highest ranking in A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. It is my third personal favorite in "Elm Street" series but in "Friday the 13th" rank I gave it on eight spot I did enjoy however Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning a little more than Freddy vs. Jason because it is more an Elm Street movie than Friday the 13th movie. Both icons acted the way they are in the franchise. This movie is MILES way better to me than Wes Craven's New Nightmare that's my opinion, if you don't like the film it is okay. I love the this film to death I love it so much and I appreciate more. I love the party at night in corn filed in which Jason kills people with his machete bad-ass you have gore and bloody squibs wow.

I have enjoyed this movie more than Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood and the last 4 films. This was a real horror movie and that a good one. It is definitely my favorite Jason movie of all time. This is the last good film and underrated gem in the horror genre franchise and it is my favorite slasher film I love it to death! This the last good Freddy and Jason film in which both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises were both rebooted. This is the last Freddy movie in which Robert Englund performed the last time his character Freddy Krueger. I watched making off this film in 2003 and I saw an interview with Robert Englund reprising his role as Freddy for this film.

81 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Evil vs Evil - awesome slasher movie about Freddy and Jason my all time favorite decent horror film!
ivo-cobra824 October 2016
Evil vs Evil two favorite slasher icons goes on each other Freddy vs Jason an epic battle fight. It is one of my personal favorite horror movies. Two titans of terror enter into a horrifying and gruesome showdown -- Winner kills all! This is the last good film and underrated gem in the horror genre franchise and it is my favorite slasher film I love it to death! This the last good Freddy and Jason film in which both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises were both rebooted. This is the last Freddy movie in which Robert Englund performed the last time his character Freddy Krueger. I watched making off this film in 2003 and I saw an interview with Robert Englund reprising his role as Freddy for this film.

I know Robert is old so his stuntman was doing the stunts for him. I rented VHS Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare in the video store that summer in 2003 because I am the biggest Freddy fan I always loved Freddy Krueger in all his movies except part 5 and the remake I still own Part 5 on DVD and Blu-ray collection. I am getting this movie on Blu-ray after new year that it is missing in my collection. I am a fan of Jason Voorhees the best movie that I really love to death is Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986) the best one in the franchise apart from Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood and the original movie of course I love them so much to death.

Plot: The two biggest icons of the slasher genre finally meet in "Freddy vs. Jason" in a frightening showdown in hell! Banished there for eternity, Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) devises a plan to manipulate Jason into continuing his work, hacking up the teenagers of Elm Street. All goes well at first until Jason realizes he's been duped by 'the dream master' and is none too pleased. Coaxed by surviving teenagers Will (Jason Ritter), Lori (Monica Keena), and Kia (Kelly Rowland), Jason and Freddy descend up Crystal Lake for a battle royale!

I love this movie and cast did an excellent job. Chinese director Ronny Yu directed perfectly this short horror flick that I absolutely loved it. Robert Englund was excellent in his last role as horror icon Freddy. Ken Kirzinger as Jason Voorhees did a wonderful job. Ken even played Rusty Nail in Joy Ride 3, honestly he did a wonderful job and I like him. Monica Keena as Lori Campbell was great heroine in this movie and she was a great sole survivor. There was also Brendan Fletcher in this movie I remember him from Anatomy of a Hate Crime (2000), as Mark Davis a prisoner who escaped from jail and Jason Ritter as Will Rollins they both did great. Kelly Rowland as Kia Waterson was also good.

This movie is not like any old crossover. The link between Freddy and Jason is really amazing and the whole concept of Freddy vs Jason is really cool. A great movie overall. This is no ordinary clash between to classic characters. At first it might seem that Freddy and Jason are working together but you are sorely mistaken, this quickly turns into a fight to the death. These enemies fight and travel all the way from Elm Street to Crystal Lake. If you like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th or any horror/thriller for that matter then this movie is definitely for you. It is possibly one of the best horrors I've seen.

I am a huge fan of Friday the 13th for the reason it's more gory classic horror movie franchise than jump and A Nightmare on Elm Street. So this made for the one of the best movies ever with the perfect mix of gore and jumpiness. Have a spare pair on underwear when you watch:) Things I love about this movie: Freddy cuts Jason's fingers off, gouges his eyes out, and then proceeds to whack the hell out of him with his Own machete bad-ass scene! Even though, not "completely" a Freddy movie, this one still deserves to be in the A Nightmare Elm Street favorite horror movies franchise. I enjoyed it. And I don't care what anyone says, Freddy kicked the living **** out of Jason.

I liked the practical special Effects and special FX makeup for Freddy and Jason they were pretty good and I love them.

The rest of the cast and the director does a really great job.

Overall: I am giving a 10/10 -- an outstanding score, this is the final Freddy movie in the franchise that I consider the last good Freddy movie. Here we got a killer from Camp Crystal Lake and a killer who haunts in your dreams. But they made Freddy loose his powers and he needed the kids to be afraid so he could be strong again while feeding on their fear, but how can he do that when he's not that effective in his nightmares? Of course! Jason! I love this movie to death!
80 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ultimate Battle Between Evil And, Um Well, Evil
Smells_Like_Cheese11 November 2003
Man, I felt like this was a presidential campaign. :) Who would you vote for in this awesome battle? Me? Freddy all the way, man! I'll give you that Jason's bigger, but he's such a Mama's Boy, Freddy is just down right mean. But this movie was so incredibly awesome and such a treat to horror fans.

If you are a fan of the Friday the 13th series, this had so many tributes to the originality, sex, drugs, alcohol, stupid teens, and cliché bad acting. We had our slutty girl, the smart but always sexy girl who's a virgin, the funny stereotype black girl, a geek, a stoner, the sensitive boyfriend, and two of the coolest boogeymen of all horror cinema.

The plot, at first I had questioned how they'd do it. I mean, we got a killer from Camp Crystal Lake and a killer who haunts your dreams. But they made Freddy loose his powers and he needed the kids to be afraid so he could be strong again while feeding on their fear, but how can he do that when he's not that effective in his nightmares? Of course! Jason! Jason is like his bubble wrap, he assumes Jason will probably go away or he'll be easy to throw away after the job is done. But he surprises Freddy by staying and for the ultimate battle of who's victims are who.

This was just such a blast to watch. Classic horror cliché's and the best battle of the ultimate boogeymen were just too cool. The ending is a cliff hanger, but you have too many votes going towards both sides. We could never decide who is the best at the gore... Freddy! :D Sorry, I just needed to say that. But I think all horror fans will enjoy the battle scenes and the gore. It's just a great tribute to our favorite killers!

137 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alright
kosmasp2 April 2007
The movie itself is alright. It's exactly what it says! Freddy vs. Jason. And while we might never see my favorite movie be made (Ash vs. Freddy vs. Jason), there might be another movie around the corner, maybe involving M. Myers.

But back to this film. It delivers what it promises, the battle of the titans. Wrapped up in a nice story. And while all is good, I can't stop wondering, if there wasn't any way to make more of that particular premise ... The movie is fine, but it's just not excellent.

And one thing is for sure: Kelly Rowland plays one of the most annoying characters that I have seen in a long time. Now either she is a good actress and played that really well ... or she is a bad actress and that showed on screen (I personally think it's the latter).

A nice teen horror movie, with two of the most recognised horror characters out there!
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a enjoyable Guilty Pleasure Slasher film.
hu6751 July 2005
Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) is been dead for years in the Real World and the Dream World. Since Freddy is literally in hell and forgotten in the real world. Freddy has a plan to bring back Crystal Lake Serial Killer-Jason Voorhees (Ken Kirzinger) to life in the real world. Freddy thinks by bringing Jason back to life to bring fear on Elm Street and Making Teenagers remember in Freddy again. Since Jason is a instant killing machine, Jason isn't willing to step aside. Now with a terrified town in the middle, Freddy has to find a way to kill Jason by going in his dreams before Jason takes Elm Street over. A Scared Teenager (Monica Keena) finds a way to bring Freddy to Reality from her dreams. So Freddy and Jason enter into a horrific and bloody showdown.

Directed by Ronny Yu (Bride with White Hair, Bride of Chucky, Formula 51) made an entertaining Spin-Off to the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Friday the 13th" Series. Englund, who played Freddy Krueger for the 8th time seems that he had a blast making this film. Kirzinger replaced Kane Hodder. Which Hodder originally played Jason in the last four films. Kirzinger is good as the new Jason. Sean S. Cunnigham, who produced and directed the original "Friday the 13th" is back producing this silly but larger than life epic. The film also stars-Jason Ritter (Which Jason's father-The late John Ritter worked with Yu in Bride of Chucky), Kelly Rowland (R & B singer from the group-Destiny's Child), Lochlyn Murno (Scary Movie), Chris Marquette (The Girl Next Door) and Katherine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps Trilogy).

DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an superb-Dolby Digital 5.1 Expanded Surround Sound. DVD has an ingraining Commentary Track by the director and actors:Englund and Kirzinger. Disc Two has Deleted Scenes with/without Commentary, Many Behind the Scenes Featurettes, Music Video, Hidden Features, DVD-ROM Content and more.

The Canadian Blu-ray version has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen 1080P High Definition (2.35:1) transfer and an superb DTS HD 5.1 Surround Sound. Sadly the Canadian Blu-ray movie has no special features.

The book from "Crystal Lake Memories", the complete history of "Friday the 13th". The Book has interviews with Robert Shaye, Robert Englund, Producer:Sean S. Cunningham (The House Series, Deep Star Six, Friday the 13th), Director Adam Marcus (Jason Goes to Hell:The Final Friday), Screenwriter:Lewis Abernathy, Screenwriter:Roland D. Moore, Screenwriter David J. Schow (Leatherface:The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, The Crow, The Hills Run Red), Screenwriter:Ethan Reiff, Screenwriter:Cyrus Voris, Producer:Noel Cunningham, Screenwriter:Mark Verheiden, Co-Screenwriter:Mark Swift, Co-Screenwriter:Damian Shannon, Production Executive:Stokley Chaffin, Director:Ronny Yu (Bride of Chucky, Formula 51), Executive Producer:Doug Curtis, Casting Director:Matthew Barry, Actor:Christopher Marquette (Alpha Dog, The Girl Next Door), Actor:Kyle Labine, Actor:Brendan Fletcher (88 Minutes), Actor:Jesse Hutch, Actress:Kelly Rowland (One of the singers from Destiny's Child), Actress:Monica Keena (While You Were Sleeping), Actor:Jason Ritter (Son of the late John Ritter), Actor & Stuntman:Kane Hodder (Who played Jason Voorhess in Friday the 13th Part 7, 8, 9 and 10), Development Executive:Jeff Katz, Make-Up Effects Supervisor:Greg Nicotero (Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes, George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, Planet Terror), Director:John Carl Buechler (Friday the 13th Part 7:The New Blood), Actor & Stuntman:Ken Kirzinger, Make-Up Effects Supervisor:William Terezakis and President of Production:Toby Emmerich.

The film has an strong music score by Greame Revell (The Crow, Dark City, Pitch Black) that pays tribute to the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Friday the 13th". This film ended being a Box Office Smash for the Studio:New Line Cinema. Extremely Entertaining for the Fans of Freddy and Jason. Watch for New Line Topper:Robert Shaye as the Principal in a Cameo, which He's one of the Executive Producers of the film. Great gory fun all the way. Super 35. Written by Mark Swift and Damian Shannon (They both wrote the watchable but highly flawed remake of "Friday the 13th"). (****/*****).
56 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a mute murderer, Jason Voorhees sure felt like the hero of this piece
DarthBill31 March 2004
Freddy's dead and he can't get the old killing spree going again, so he wakes up Jason Voorhees to scare the kids into wetting their pants so Freddy can feed off of their fear. But like the sorcerer's apprentice, Jason, once turned on cannot be turned off, so Freddy faces off with Jason for the right to be the #1 serial killer while a bunch of busty idiot girls look on. And as we all know, after the endless line of sequels, by this entry the killers' are our friends so really you're rooting for them and not the idiot teenagers.

Of the teens, Jason Ritter is the only one who seems to know how to act (shame about his dad, John Ritter). Monica Keena is cute but she needs to lose the implants. What is Kelly Rowland doing in here? Robert Englund's as funny as ever, and Ken Kirzinger is a capable Jason. I still don't see why New Line Cinema didn't want to bring back Kane Hodder though. They say they wanted to take Jason in a new direction, but they DID NOT take Jason in a new direction. Jason's still the same hulking mute murderer he's always been, just a tad taller and bigger than before (and somehow he's got both of his eyes back). I don't see a big difference between Kane, Ken and all the rest, but Kane has professed great fondness and dedication to role of Jason, so I feel that if Kane was willing to play the part again (and it's hard to find people who are willing to be all painted up in gory make up mind you) then New Line should have accepted his services. It did feel that they were trying to make Jason out to be the more sympathetic of the two killers, but that doesn't change the fact that Jason killed the bulk of the film's teens.

Well, anyway, you get the usual dose of sex, drugs, violence, rock & roll and below par acting. So truly turn off your brain and enjoy the mayhem.
72 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chop Chop Chop, Slash Slash Slash!
movies2u26 August 2003
Freddy Vs. Jason (2003)

To start off, I think that any fan of any series of movies will come back for the next sequel and the next and the next etc., no matter what kind of garabage is placed in front of them. Freddy Vs. Jason wasn't complete garabage, it was okay. Freddy Krueger is now powerless since the children of Elm St. are taking a certain drug to stop their dreams, so he consults Jason Voorhees to kill the children until Freddy has power to kill again, but Jason goes on a rampage and won't stop killing in what results in a final battle of evil vs. evil. Ronny Yu, director of The Bride Of Chucky makes a neat direction in this movie, and his certain style of filmmaking added a touch that none of the Elm Street of Friday the 13th films had before. Of course, Robert Englund returns as Freddy, but Kane Hodder (who has played Jason in most of the films) is replaced by another actor. Kelly Rowland and Monica Keena pretty much lead this movie. I also noticed Katharine Isabelle from 2002's TV movie "Carrie". I have to say that fans of either series will be pleased, but other horror goers may not. Also, do not, I repeat do not watch this if you have a weak stomach. It's about one of the goriest movies I've ever seen. Bottom Line: Fans will be pleased, others will not. 7/10.
51 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dream come true! (EXCLAMATION MARK)
Superunknovvn28 November 2003
I think I had never felt like this before when I walked into the cinema. It was an absolute dream come true for me. I had prepared over a year for this film, this once in a lifetime-event. I had chased every picture, every piece of scoop I could find about this movie on the internet. It was very painful when "Freddy Vs. Jason" was finally released in June in the U.S. and I still had to wait until November until the film saw its theatrical release in Vienna where I live. Yesterday, the big day had come. Is there a way that a movie that's been so hyped by myself can still live up to my expectations? Abso-friggin-lutely!

WOW! "Freddy vs. Jason" is unbelievable. What sounds like a loony's idea (to be honest, die hard-Freddy & Jason-fans like myself are mostly loonies) was made into a kick-ass flick for a wide audience. Bring along your kids, bring along your grandparents and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is "Freddy vs. Jason".

When I heard that Ronny Yu was going to be the director for this project I checked out two of his previous movies ("51st State" & "Bride of Chucky") and wasn't exactly blown away. These movies were okay but nowhere near as good as I wanted "Freddy vs. Jason" to be. Well, I have to apologize to Mr. Yu. Not only did he revive both franchises like no one would have expected it to be possible, he also managed to COMBINE the two and not make it absolutely ridiculous.

Of course, the horror that made the original "A Nightmare On Elm Street" so scary and the first "Friday The 13th" so, hmm... dark is gone by now, but it has been gone for more than ten years. Get over it, people! A movie called "Freddy vs. Jason" HAS TO BE campy. No wonder the dialog is incredibly bad at times ("Freddy is afraid of fire, Jason is afraid of water... how can we use that?"), no wonder the actors are no Academy Award winners. The right things are deliberately hammed up and self-ironic (like a boobie-goddess playing the main character, who is supposed to be a 14 year old virgin. Come on, nobody is really supposed to take that seriously!)

Let's get to the main attraction, Freddy & Jason. I have to admit I was rooting for Freddy. I adored this character since he first scared the crap out of me as a child. I had trouble falling asleep for days and although I don't find Freddy scary anymore I still love his story, his attitude and his one-liners. "Freddy vs. Jason" did him justice and that's also and mostly due to the great Robert Englund. I was down on the floor laughing my ass off as this man put up yet another great show with merciless jokes and dark comedy. Let's hope he never retires. As for Jason, he's better than ever. Sure, it would have been nice to have long time-Jason-actor Kane Hodder in this movie, but Ken Kirzinger did a very good job. Ronny Yu wasn't afraid of showing gore and Jason got some pretty original kills. (Just why is he afraid of water all of a sudden?)

Another plus for Ronny Yu is the use of colors. Preview pics of "Freddy vs. Jason" showed that this movie was going to be very colorful, which made me skeptic at first. Nightmare 4 & 5 had been red, green and blue all over and it looked very cheap and comic like. Not so with "Freddy vs. Jason". The colors look atmospheric here. The rain looked a little fake but that's probably just me.

The story is simple, which is good compared to the far fetched rejected drafts that are spread across the Internet. Maybe there were a little too many subplots in the final version, which made the movie slow in the middle. I could have done without the character that was like a copy of Kevin Smith's Jay, too. Apart from these little flaws there's no need to be nitpicky.

The box office success of "Freddy vs. Jason" was just as exciting as the film itself. It helped bring back classic 80's horror. Studios considered and made sequels/remakes to movies such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacres" & "Halloween" again. The commercial success of "Freddy vs. Jason" also proved that there's still enough life in both of these characters to justify more sequels. Freddy was killed off way too soon anyway. Only 6 sequels? Come on, I want to see more of him, but make the movies original for Christ's sake! I'd rather see Freddy die than going to straight-to-video-hell. That's why I hope a "Nightmare"-prequel will never be made and why I beg producers not to make a "Freddy vs. Jason 2" or any other obscure vs.-movies. "Freddy vs. Jason" is the fulfillment of every fans dream and that is that.

Phew... have I said everything? Have I expressed my euphoria enough? Let me just say this at the end: A lot of people had eagerly waited for this project to be realized. Thanks Ronny Yu, Robert Englund and New Line for making it come true!
143 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
messed up marriage
jaywolfenstien18 August 2003
It's A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 8 served with a side of Jason Voorhees. So unless the audience suffers from delusions as to the quality of the franchises this movie spawns from, you'll be pretty happy. It is not a masterpiece of cinema; it is not a masterpiece of horror . . . look at all the F13 and NOES. You have 17 examples of what this movie is going to be like.

Take your typical crappy Elm Street plot and cast your typical crappy Friday the 13th cast, and you have your typical crappy horror movie. Am I criticizing this movie? Not really since that crap-factor is a staple to the F13 franchise and the NOES sequels. Does anyone really care? I hope not. The whole reason anyone should see this movie comes down to the three words in the title "Freddy versus Jason." If those three words do not interest you, don't even screw with FvsJ. I mean, I don't think in film history has the title been more descriptive of the point of the movie.

While it actually takes awhile to get to the slasher deathmatch, you know it's coming . . . everyone knows there's going to be a fight to remember, so Ronny Yu opts to prolong it as far as he can and just jam packs the ending with Slasher celebrities ripping into each other . . . because, seriously, 90 minutes of Jason and Freddy hacking at each other would get downright boring. At least there's some variety and nods to old school F13 and NOES, some typical nods to the stereotyped horror formula which isn't scary but seems to be a requirement. Boobs, booze, blood . . . you know the routine. A high point of the film - I've been dying to see Voorhees crash a party and just cut through teens ala Krueger style in Elm Street 2, and I finally got to see it . . . just enough "other elements" to keep entertaining unless you're an oldschool fan and tired of hearing the mythology over and over again in every sequel.

Cut through the "good guys" whom nobody really cares about since Freddy and Jason have been the stars since forever now, get through the human's boring backstory which will be forgotten in the FvsJ2 and wait for the inevitable moment when our "heroes" run from Voorhees where Freddy turns to the nearest kid and says, "Let me handle this, bitch." Now, ladies and gentlemen, it has begun . . . now it's on. Now we rumble . . . now we see why horny teens had such a hard time killing these bad boys. Freddy makes more fatal blows against Voorhees than he did to the cast of all 8 Freddy films combined . .. and Voorhees keeps getting up. For the first time we see Freddy treated like a rag doll and tossed around/cut up like another camp crystal lake sex-addict--Voorhees makes no distinction.

So who wins? Everyone . . . unless, of course, you're under the false impression that you're going to see Welles quality cinema, in which case why are you even reading about FvsJ?

I could go through and detail the plot, characters, acting, etc like other amateur and pro critics alike, but quite frankly, I don't see the point. I mean, this is still Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I will say that it's a better Elm Street sequel, and it is the best film featuring Jason.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, and I'm barely an Elm Street fan and am definitely not a fan of F13 . . . take that for what it's worth.
76 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know the words by heart, now here's a change in the music
MisterWhiplash16 August 2003
That's what I felt after seeing this film, Freddy Vs. Jason. Right when they introduced the characters I knew them so well, their personalities, emotions, motives and all, that not one human character could have (or would have tried to) surprise me with ingenuity in their performances. So, that's the downside to Freddy Vs. Jason, a downside that will either poke the viewer harshly in the ribs, or will just remain as the typical, expectedly lame backdrop for the match-up. I felt a little of both, though I tried to be confident that the main show would be worth the Hollywood-ish mish-mash.

The main show, however, is the only reason to see the movie: Freddy Kruger (Robert Englund), the old gent from Elm Street, is down in hell wanting another grab at 'his' children, so he implements a sort of decoy in the form of lake-boy Jason Voorhees, who begins slaying far more than Freddy could want to see for someone other than himself. So, he decides that it's time to kick some a**, and that's when the fun begins.

To die-hards of both series (I like a few from each series, and personally, I'm more for Freddy than Jason in the genre because at least Freddy can give some funny dialog in terrifying moments while Jason stares blankly, except for when his mother calls him) this is like seeing two legends standing up in the ring for a prizefight. Each one has their weaknesses, but they each know who to throw their punches with style, and (we hope) that they can stay invincible until the last round. I won't reveal who wins (they're enough skeeves on the message boards doing that), but what I can say is that if it only wasn't for the people in the movie (I'll exclude the Jay rip-off since he garnered the most laughs) acting so blandly, strategically like how they're told to do in such a piece, this would've been a near excellent horror movie. Never-the-less, that could be considered moot, since that's what's to ALWAYS be expected for these gobledy-gook slasher pieces. The point is, I didn't leave the theater feeling swindled by the hype of the matching (unlike how I would if they ever, EVER decide to make a Superman vs. Batman piece of drek). C+
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
jpintar13 January 2004
I thought that Jason and Freddy were fossils of the 80s. I was wrong. This movie works well. I liked it better than the overrated Scream movies. Freddy and Jason make a great team. This is an exciting movie with two cult figures meeting on screen for the first time. The fight is satisfying. 7/10
39 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freddy vs. Jason... Wow!
Bobbywoodhogan29 November 2003
I have waited for this film for years and now it is finally here. I went to the pictures to see this on it's opening night (August 15th 2003) and when I left I couldn't stop smiling I had just seen the greatest one on one face off in the history of cinema. I loved it this was brilliant, this was the Freddy vs. Jason (although I believe it should have been titled Jason vs. Freddy like originally planned) I had always wanted to see but it was brilliant, it had great storyline, great actors (note: Ken Kirzinger did play a GOOD Jason but like most other Friday fans I would have prefered to see Kane Hodder behind the mask, oh well!) But to sum up I loved this film and gave it a vote of 10!

I am looking forward to more versus movies in the future: Alien vs. Predator, Batman vs Superman, Freddy vs. Jason 2 (which I have heard Ken Kirzinger has already been signed to do) who will they pit against them I personally would like for it to be Leatherface (from the TCM Remake) or maybe Michael Myers or both. Now that would be cool. I also think Ash (Evil Dead) would be cool but he would have to be in FVJ3 'cause he would hav to win as he is the hero. Give me some sugar baby!

I'm Lovin' It
good movie
CrzyMuthaRugger11 November 2003
Freddy vs Jason is an awesome movie. If you love the Friday the 13th/ Nightmare on Elm Street movies, you will definitely love this movie. The fight scenes are excellent. The acting is that typical of the a Friday the 13th movies, which makes it even better. Could you imagine good acting in one of those movies? It doesn't make sense. I cannot wait for the DVD. It is going to be packed with bonus features. I also cannot wait for the next installment of Freddy vs. Jason, it will be equally entertaining.
Friday the Thirteenth Part XII
Jason_fan6 November 2003
Every hard-core Friday the Thirteenth fan (like myself)knows what they want for the next one. Not in space, or in Manhattan, or even on Elm street--We want it on Crystal Lake. Don't try and fool yourself, you know that the originals were the scariest. I think New Line Cinema shoud f**k the Freddy vs. Jason 2 script and hire a really talented writer to come up with a kick-@$$ story where Jason kills at Camp Crystal Lake. The writer could continue right where Freddy vs. Jason left off (Jason burying freddy's head) and make it more like the original. Give Jason a motive to kill (like him guarding the camp). Hire a good director and cast and make the scariest da*n movie possible!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time to put this bad dog to sleep....not
cybotron25 October 2003
Freddy vs Jason is the coolest movie i have seen this year.Forget T3,Matrix 2 or Hulk,this is way better than those.Altough not as good as NOES and Friday the 13th(part 1)this is still an excellent horror movie.Ronny Yu should win an Oscar for his direction,because suprisingly it is even better than Carpenter in Halloween.This and Jason X show what slasher have to be,not like some cheesy Scream ripoff(Scream sucks big time).
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greats are back for a final showdown.
deliciousprozac7 October 2003
Okay, I've read various opinions of this movie and I thought that I should squeeze my 2 cents out. I've been anticipating this movie since I first heard about it years ago. Ever since I was six years old, I've been a Freddy fanatic. This style of horror movie was original and creative. Instead of him killing you in the dark at night like some cliche serial killer, he kills you when you are the must vulnerable...in your dreams. Now I'm not a big fan of Jason but that's beside the point. These are 2 of the horror icons from the '80's.

I went to see it opening night and it did not disappoint. Granted, the acting was really lame [especially the part with the father and son on the porch]. The acting felt forced. And there was some nudity [due on the part that this is half of a Jason movie and Jason movies always have nudity or sex in them]. But that's not even supposed to be the main focus of the film. As the title says, it's Freddy vs. Jason. You're supposed to pay attention to the 2 horror gods and then the little stuff can be judged.

Besides my minor reservations on the acting, I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie. It didn't live up to all of my expectations but it came pretty close. The fight scenes were incredible and Freddy still had his sarcastic wit about him. Now the comments about the actor who played Jason, here's my input. Anybody can play Jason. Jason walks around, doesn't talk and kills people. If they said the other guy was playing him, you wouldn't even really notice, well, I know I wouldn't of.

To summarize, yes there are problem areas with this movie, but there are problem areas with any movie. This movie was a fresh reminder that all the "horror" movies that people put out nowadays aren't horror. They aren't remembered years later. But Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, Chucky, etc. are. I give this movie 8 stars. I didn't want to comment too much directly on the movie so I don't ruin it for people that haven't seen it yet. But I say it's worth giving it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised :)
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Most Dramatic Horror Movie Ending Ever!
SaltRiverNative843 October 2003
I have to say that this was the best film that I have ever seen in years! It is really nice to know that the powers that be did not forget about the two villians that help upgrade the horror genre. Freddy vs. Jason was something that many of us hardcore horror fans have been waiting for and it did not fail to surprise me. The film gives a big salute to both the Freddy and Jason films. To bring these two together and give not just the chance of them working together but to give them the ultimate battle in which both they and we deserve. A good long gory battle that was full of buckets of blood that brought both of these men to this point. It was the most dramatic horror movie ending I have ever seen. I want to also say that I am really greatful to see FREDDY KRUEGER back on the big screen again, and to see him in a sence tipping his hat to his fans at the end of the film. Thank you ROBERT ENGLUND.
Freddy V.S. is the sh*t!
jmcgee-120 December 2003
Freddy V.S. Jason is the sh*t! An A++.Although i did hate alittle bit how the kids found out what freddy was doing so quickly, but a it's a movie. This flick has the best fight seen I've ever seen this year(terminator 3,comes to second or a tie). The color of the film made it comic book like,which kinda change the way you look at the other films. I mean it even feels like your reading something out of a comic book. I still Think Kane should have come back,but Kin played Jason with a diffent side of him. His killing reactions were way to fast,which made me jump a lot. Kane is still the best Jason,but I would love to see his killing movements more fast. And Robert,will you never could go wrong with Robert. Even the jokes(which ruined the series)made him look good. I mean think of Freddy from part 1 & 7,but with more jokes.And kelly did way better at acting,then Beyonce. And I love the way they ended it with how Jason X and Wes Craven's New Nightmare got strated. Can't wait till this come out on DVD. LOVED IT.
Mindless fun
Derek23726 August 2003
I have some mixed feelings about Freddy Vs. Jason. It was a lot better than a lot of the Friday the 13ths (especially the amazingly bad Jason X), but it wasn't that great compared to some of the Nightmare films. Overall, it was enjoyable.

It has nothing new to offer except the fact that Freddy and Jason face off. It has all the horror movie clichés but never once uses them creatively. When a girl gets naked she might as well be saying "look, I'm naked!", when someone is doing drugs they might as well being saying "look, I'm doing drugs!" and when someone dies they might as well be saying "look, I'm dead!" The gore is good, though. Probably the best gore out of both series. Blood literally flies at the screen. It gets really gory once Freddy and Jason fight at the end.

Now there's the acting. Horror movie actors have been getting worse and worse. Whatever happened to subtlety? Monica Keena, who plays Lori is so profoundly horrible in this that it made me not like the movie as much. She is so whiny through the entire movie, no wonder Freddy kept calling her "bitch" over and over. Even Robert Englund is at his worst as Freddy. With the exception of New Nightmare, each time Robert Englund plays Freddy he gets cheesier and cheesier. Of course this movie's ridiculous plot doesn't help either. Then there's Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child fame. I thought she was going to be horrible, like every other music star that decides to do a horror flick, but surprisingly she wasn't that bad. Maybe even the best actress in the whole movie. She just played it real, and she really has a great scene at the end where she is making fun of Freddy.

Another thing that bugged me where the special effects. In all the other movies there where good physical effects, make-up effects, and camera trickery. Freddy Vs. Jason is just plain lazy. The only reason to see it is the end battle. I really think Ronny Yu was a bad choice to direct this movie. He's mastered the gore, in-jokes, and humour of horror movies but when it comes to actual horror, he's clueless.

But like Bride Of Chucky (which Yu also directed), this is just an unexplainable guilty pleasure. It was mindless fun. I guess it was fun to turn my brain off for 90 minutes, even though that was hard to do since I actually respected some of the other movies. This movie I have no respect for.

All in all, this is exactly what you could expect from a cheesy concept like Freddy and Jason doing battle against each other. Yes, it could have been better but it far more easily could have been a lot worse, so I give them credit for that. Hardcore fans will love it.

My rating: 6/10
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great film for fans young & old
pennywise_the_firestarter15 December 2003
Now you're probably thinking 'Oh god not another Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street!' However, contrary to the belief of many this film is more than just a simple character crossover. There are moments where the film, instead of making you jump in fright, makes you laugh out load and sometimes it is easy to predict how a person will die. But other than a few flaws this films is a great film to see (especially if you are a fan of either series). There is also little need to have seen the previous films, although it does help, as it recaps on the characters' pasts (Freddy's more so than Jason however). The plot of this movie is that Freddy is trapped in Hell, because the children of Elm Street have forgot about him, and those that do remember him are in an institution and given medication (Hypnocyl) to stop them dreaming. So Mr. Kruger decides to acquire the assistance of, someone from Hell who is just as sadistic and evil, Jason Voorhees. Jason awakes from his eternal slumber and heads to Elm Street in the mood for slaughtering more helpless teenagers. Freddy's plan is that with all of these murders taking place the children will find out about Freddy and subsequently he will be able to go back to his old ways. However Freddy did not account for Jason's blood lust and soon finds Jason killing his potential victims. What ensues after is a battle of two equally evil forces, although most of their fighting is purely comical. This film obviously appeals to fans of Jason and Freddy but it also introduces a new generation of young adults to two classical 'slasher' characters (who should not judge the characters just on this film). Freddy and Jason are seen by many to be two of the best at what they do, and to see them finally square off is a great experience. It is good to see horror characters finally battling it out, if only to answer the question (that was always brought up when watching a horror film) of 'who would win?'
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids Killed, Freddy & Jason After Each Other
Rainey-Dawn18 January 2017
So bloody awful it's pretty good just for the final battle. Comical, fun battle between Freddy and Jason. People die by Freddy and Jason. I guess Michael Myers is at home watching the action, most likely giggling to himself.

It's all about Freddy taking over Jason so Jason can kill the Elm Street kids. All this will free Freddy from limbo and everyone will remember the name Freddy Krueger. Kids are killed. Freddy and Jason battle it out in The End.

I like this one fairly well, it does have a little bit of the vibes of the original Elm Street film mixed with the 13th franchise. This one takes a little bit of time to get going good, about 20 minutes, but once it gets going it's kinda fun to watch. No it's not a great movie but it is fun in it's way.

3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can be quite a lot of fun.
WakenPayne22 November 2016
Okay, I'm not really a fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday The 13th. I don't know why I decided to watch this but I did and it seems to be pretty satisfying. The plot is that Freddy is forgotten on Elm Street because a town-wide conspiracy is in place so nobody even mentions his name. Because of this he is losing power but not enough however to resurrect Jason. The bodies start piling up and the conspiracy slowly becomes unraveled, giving Freddy the power needed to do what Freddy does best... Unfortunately it seems that resurrecting Jason didn't come with an off switch or something and they decide the town's not big enough for 2 of them. While it does feel as though it takes a while for Freddy and Jason to finally fight seeing them kill in ways fans know and love (or even something I haven't seen and that's one where Jason kills people while he's completely set on fire!) and Robert Englund hamming it up is so entertaining to watch regardless. Even the ideas of having there being one fight in Freddy's dream world and the other in the real world being clever considering one of them has an advantage and disadvantage in both worlds. I'd say if you're into watching cheesy fun then I'd recommend this. It does deliver what you would expect from Freddy and Jason being in the same movie (or even more-so for me considering I actually think this is the best Friday The 13th related movie I've watched so far). If you want to watch it, I'd recommend it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best fight match ever with a rushed plot
austinkunkle16 November 2016
Freddy vs Jason is without a doubt the best horror movie to have 2 of the best horror characters ever fight each other. Although the movie felt like it was being rushed through a little bit,I still thought the fights they had were just spine tingling awesome. Honest to god,I still can't stop smiling every time i watch them fight. You have a big man carrying a machete and an average sized man with razor fingers, and they're both just battling each other. I was trying to figure out how they would make that work,but then I saw the movie,and the matches and I saw myself. The reason I think the filmmakers were rushing with the plot was so they can get to the fights so soon,because for the fans that love these 2,they don't just want to see Freddy and Jason killing other civilians,they want to see them fight. That's why people wanted to see the movie and that was all we were looking forward to. So I was impressed they made this movie,but disappointed they didn't get to make a squeal.
Extremely gory great fun
jofitz278 May 2005
'Freddy Vs. Jason' sounds like the sort of dreadful casted straight-to-video movie with nothing to offer but a horrendous script and OTT acting. Well, I can be sure to say that, on the basis of this film, you should never judge a book by its cover. Why? Because when you get past the weak points this film is superbly gory super Friday-night fun.

With no real motive but to get the two demons on the screen, Freddy Kruger wants to kill some more harmless kiddies. In order to get back in their dreams, he resurrects Jason Voorhees to do some killing as well.

Bodies of harmless teens begin to pile up in increasingly horrific and deliriously inventive ways, including an almighty beast of a bed crusher and just slicing with the tip of Jason's super sharp swords.

It would sound bad to any film respecting person, but believe me, it is far from. It is tremendous fun guessing who and how will the victims die next, and the tension even creeps up towards the end to kill the preceding dark vein of gross and downright sadistic humour.

In the end though, this is a marvellously gory treat; funny, gross and huge fun, this is not an Oscar winner, but deserves a shout out nevertheless.

8 out of 10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
freddy, jason, it's a good fight
wpenos29 September 2003
i saw freeddy vs. jason on openingday, august 16th, and i was enthralled. i was looking forward to seeing it for a year, and i wasn't dissapointed. it was gory as hell, and it was a strong return to crystal lake. anyway, the parents of elm street are giving they;re kids drugs to prevent freddy from terrorizing them in their dreams. so, freddy has an idea.

meanwhile, while jason is dreaming of killing teans in his grave, freddy comes out disguised as jason's mom. he tells jason to go kill the teens on elm street, and MAKE THEM REMEMBER WHAT FEAR TASTES LIKE! anywho, jason goes to elm street and makes several gruesome, gruesome, murders. are afriad that it is freddy, and begin to worry. but after jason keeps on killing freddy's kids on elm street, freddy is richously p***ed. so, they duke it out on elm street, then the kids bring jason back to crystal lake, to kill freddy. the only thing i was p***ed about, was jason kept getting his ass kicked by freddy throughout the movie, but besides that, jason and freddy made sure of dispatching those naughty teens who were having sex, doing drugs, and so on, and so on. i just cannot wait to get this flick on DVD