Biker Boyz (2003) Poster

(2003)

Mispackaged as an action film
Leofwine_draca8 November 2015
The biggest problem with this movie is that it is mispackaged as an action-packed thriller when it is in fact much more of a drama involving human relationships, status and emotion, with little or no action to recommend it to the crowds. The bike racing sequences are a huge disappointment, involving ultra-cheesy "bike tunnel" POV shots from the riders and other exterior shots which make them look like they're riding really slowly. Stunts are limited to a CGI smash-up and a guy skidding off his wheels, big deal. At other times we're treated to fancy shots of guys riding their bikes in weird ways, such as on one wheel, which quickly becomes boring.

Much more interesting is the human side of the story, which sees Kid, the young hero discovering that his nemesis is in fact his dad, and challenging him to a bike race to the finish. Before things get going on this front, however, there's forty-five minutes of mundane drama to endure. The lead, Derek Luke, isn't bad at all, quite surprising for a newcomer to the movies. Laurence Fishburne is as cool as ever but the supporting cast don't really make much of an impact. The best bits of the movie invariably involve Fishburne reflecting on his situation, but the action crowd will be well disappointed with a movie which promises plenty of thrills but provides only minimal excitement.
Black F&F with Bikes offers nothing but some stunt riding
SnoopyStyle2 June 2014
Smoke (Laurence Fishburne) is the undisputed best rider of motorcycle clubs that run underground races. His mechanic friend Slick Will (Eriq La Salle) dies in a freak accident during a drag race. Slick Will's son Kid (Derek Luke) wants to be the best rider and challenges Smoke in a race. It turns out they have a real close connection.

This movie seems to be trying to leech off of the 'Fast & Furious' franchise. It's black people with bikes. I'm sure that's how they pitched it to the studios. There are a lot of great actors in this, but they're mostly wasted on the stilted dialog. The writing is weak but the direction from Reggie Rock Bythewood is even worst. Certainly he doesn't have the style other than using a lot of urban music to hide the weak writing. There are some good stunt bike riding but they're not shot in a particularly exciting way. There is a fundamental problem with bike racing. The helmets don't allow the actors' faces to be seen except for very close-up. Bythewood doesn't do anything to solve that problem. Unless you're really itching to see some stunt riding, this movie offers nothing for the casual viewer.
Riding Cali
Prismark1026 June 2014
Going for the Fast and Furious dollar, Biker Boyz is set in the Black community in Southern California. The vehicle of choice is motorbikes.

We follow Kid (Derek Luke) the young motorcycle racer who wants to be 'King of Cali' the title held by Smoke (Laurence Fishburne) who is the leader of the Black Knights bike club.

Smoke is reluctant to be challenged by the Kid and in response he starts his own club, the Biker Boyz as he sets out to be the fastest urban biker around.

The film deals with racing camaraderie and rivalries as well as delving into father and son issues in a formulaic way but the racing scenes were insipid. It left me open mouthed to see how flatly they were filmed.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clunky dialogue, MTV visuals and average performances rob it of the potential shown by the very occasional good moment
bob the moo4 August 2006
Kid is the son of Tariq aka "Slick Will", engineer to Smoke, who is the leader of the Black Knights motorcycle group and a legend on the streets. When Tariq is killed in a motorcycle accident, Kid drops off the scene for six months but returns determined to become more than just a prospect. His ultimate aim is to challenge Smoke himself and make his mark by taking down the biggest dog there is but first he must go legit and set up his own motorcycle gang with friends Stuntman and Primo.

Opening with a really nice tracking shot (or series of shots, I'm not sure) this film had my interest early on but very quickly blew it. With an obvious and predictable establishing scene, the narrative arch is established and thus I began my weary trudge from start to finish, through countless music video scenes, unconvincing dialogue scenes and loads of motorcycles. It is very basic stuff and it never aspires to much. The characters are cut out of cardboard and the dialogue is awful, this might cut the mustard if the film was an out and out action film but it isn't. Instead it is supposed to be a character driven film and thus it is a big problem for it to not have characters or convincing dialogue. Sadly it is a mess in regards the writing and plotting and only the forgiving will find the material worth two hours of their time.

The action is pretty weak. I didn't think any of the races were exciting and although they are well done, all of them could have sorely used the emotions of the characters to feed into them. As it is the failure of the plot means that much of the film is lacking and feels rather pointless. Occasionally it hints at depth and humanity but the occasional spark is totally drowned out in a sea of noise. The music video goals of the film are met but personally I'm glad not to be in the demographic sector that is tricked into thinking that this makes for a good film.

The cast are mixed, containing people that I expected better from and people that deserve stuff like this. Fishburne may well have expected more from the film because at times you can see him reaching, sadly he cannot achieve the impossible and any glimmer of a good performance is swamped. Luke struggles from the start. He is pretty and charismatic here but he can't deliver emotion and understanding that isn't in the script and his narration is terrible. The support cast are roundly average with obvious performances from Jones, Hounsou, Fehr and others. Good is sexy but pretty vacant while I'm not sure why Bonet bothered to turn up for so little.

Overall then a fairly pointless film that shrugs off any character potential it may have had in favour of MTV visuals, clunky dialogue and mostly average performances at best. You can see the potential in the story but across several aspects the film fails to deliver this potential and just churns out a totally unnecessary film that doesn't deserve any of your time.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fast and Furious biker drama.
BA_Harrison22 September 2016
Six months after his father is killed by a low-flying motorcycle, precocious 18-year-old Kid (played by 29-year-old Derek Luke) returns to the urban biker scene, forming his own MC club—the camp-sounding Biker Boyz—so that he can claim himself the title of The King of Cali, currently held by biker legend Smoke (Laurence Fishburne).

Clearly intended to glamorise the motorbike road racing scene in the same way Fast and the Furious films did for street car racing, Biker Boyz is a howlingly bad coming-of-age drama interspersed with ridiculous race scenes, all told without the slightest hint of irony. It's such a stereotypical stinker, packed to the rafters with rebellious teen clichés, that I couldn't help but enjoy myself just a bit.

The good: the roving camera-work (especially the opening tracking shot), the trick-tastic bike riding, Meagan Good's cleavage.

The bad (and consequently rather amusing): Kid Rock as a white trash biker named Dogg, an out-of-shape Laurence Fishburne beating up ripped Derek Luke, those nasty yellow Biker Boyz jackets, the lavish biker parties, the laughable dialogue loaded with ebonics. Tru dat.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Bikes Featured in an OK movie
view_and_review6 March 2007
Maybe Biker Boyz wasn't as good as I thought it was, but the fact of the matter is, I saw "Torque" before I saw Biker Boyz. And after having seen "Torque", any movie with street bikes in them that didn't run on pixie dust was going to be better. I honestly disregarded the acting and the plot to simply gawk at the bikes and what the riders would do on the bikes. There were some cool stunts and really pretty machines. Those bikes were so beautiful that I know it has skewed my judgment of the movie; but hey, at least I'm honest about it.

The plot wasn't all bad... the racing aspect of it that is. Besides the racing for "lids" story, and trying to dethrone the top gun, the rest of the movie was just filler. "Biker Boyz" is decent enough to kill time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been more involving than it is
Wizard-82 March 2010
Did you ever wonder what happened to the kid (that didn't get his face smashed in with a rock) who was in the notorious exploitation movie FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE? Well, he moved behind the camera to become a producer, writer, and director, and BIKER BOYZ is one of those efforts. Seeing it, you have to wonder why Dreamworks Pictures green-lit it - it's far from their usual standards, and even for the subject matter it concerns, it's not very involving. To be fair, the movie is nicely shot (brightly lit and eye-popping colors), and the camera-work and choreography at times show that some time and planning was done at times. The script also has the nice touch in that there are no real bad guys, just more ordinary that each have their unique flaws. But the movie lacks punch and excitement - the plot is slow-moving, and even the racing sequences come across as surprisingly bland. Not a terrible movie, but with its good parts and bad parts combined, it equals a pretty bland viewing experience.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very entertaining movie with a strong story anchored by great performances from the lead actors
disdressed121 May 2007
very good movie.it's about motorcycle street racing,but there is more than that going on.the movie is also about relationships,love and the struggles it takes to get to where you want to be.to me,the story was very deep and anchored by some very fine acting performances.the two main characters are played by Laurence Fishburne and Derek Luke.Fishburne is "Smoke"champion Street racer who has never,(as far as i could tell)been beat.he holds the title of "King of Kali" and is the leader of "the Black Knights",one of the racing teams..Luke Plays Kidd.an upstart young man who wants nothing more than to dethrone "Smoke".of course it will not be easy,maybe even impossible.who can tell.if you wanna know more,you'll have to watch the movie.the only thing i will say is that there is a revelation which adds a new dimension to things.there are of course some very nice motorcycles and some good racing scenes.there are also some crazy stunts that are amazing.and there are some hot babes.when you put all that together,it makes for quite a show.i would have to disagree with the low rating this movie has.sometimes it boggles my mind and i wonder what people are really looking for in a movie.i know everybody has their own opinions and movie tastes are(usually)subjective,but it is still no less mystifying.For me,"Biker Boyz" is a 9/10
Motorcycles are boring
MLDinTN3 February 2004
I think this movie was meant for the same audience as Fast and the Furious; however, all the bike races are so boring. They use this tunnel vision to show what the rider sees, and it is just stupid. There are no good stunts. Then it tries to get serious by throwing a wild soap opera like plot twist. The main character finds out his real dad is really the top dog of racers. So, of course, he ends up racing him and the loser is supposed to give up riding. Dumb. Also, what was Lisa Bonet doing in this. Her character served no purpose and had hardly any lines.

FINAL VERDICT: A waste of time.
Mediocre
UniqueParticle5 February 2020
Lots of whacky dialogue makes for very low under the bus film like Biker Boyz, definitely watchable though! I like how I was 10 when the trailer came out damn I miss being little! Decent cast, soundtrack, and drama; I give it credit where it's earned.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pitiful Trash
Easygoer106 October 2019
This film is a useless waste of talent. There are several terrific actors; however, they act like 13 year old boys. It's not even realistic. If anyone has ever heard of a Denali 750c.f. & 200HP (look at Denali's website), they would blow all the other bikers away. Denalis are like Ferraris, only on 2 wheels. Trust me and skip this garbage.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't summarize this....it's crap!
Rob_Taylor18 August 2003
I've never been much of a fan of motorcycles, but as always, I'm willing to accept there are those for whom their lives revolve around such contraptions. Horses for courses and all that. So I wasn't exactly enthusiastic when I got the chance to see this movie. However, I consoled myself with the knowledge that there might be some cool race scenes and flash hardware and maybe even some cool stunts. After all, I thought, it could hardly be worse than 2 Fast 2 Furious.......

WRONG!

This movie is the most tediously dire film I've seen this year! It makes 2Fast2Furious look like a Spielberg production. The plot is a standard "coming of age" drama, but without the drama. The only slightly interesting point in the entire film was when the three guys who go on to form the MC club of the title first get together and interact. Other than that, its boooooring! Nothing at all to hold your interest. No action, poor acting (esp. from Kid Rock) and even the bikes looked bored. The ending is so predictable that it's a relief when it finally comes.

Oh, and did I mention that Hollywood expects us to swallow Derek Luke as an 18 year old? He's 30 next year for Chrissake!

And as for Laurence Fishburne,....... don't get me started...oops! too late! What was with him? He looked like some mid-life crisis-er trying to regain his lost youth, but without any enthusiasm whatsoever. And Larry....lose the gut buddy, your MC jacket'll fit better.

Overall a film to avoid at all costs.
18 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This biker falls flat on his face
jellyneckr18 June 2004
BIKER BOYZ is probably the stupidest movies that I have ever seen to come out in the past 15 years. It is sort of like THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS for idiots on bikes. It features awful acting, and I cannot believe that Laurence Fishbourne would decide to make a movie as bad as this garbage. Even though it could have been a 15-minute movie of bikers doing cool tricks and racing, it is dragged out into a 2-hour brainless movie. To fill up time, they attempt to fill the movie with other "serious" plotlines, but they are just pointless and dumb. Some of the special effects are very cool, but they are also pretty unnecessary. Some might find this movie offensive, but the language is usually "unaudible" at times, and others who are not familiar with "street talk" might be confused. The one good part of this movie is the beautiful Meagen Good, who also starred in COUSIN SKEETER. 0 stars.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought it would be
DunnDeeDaGreat1 February 2003
Biker Boyz is a little decent film that isn't half bad consdering how quickly it was made.The film which was shot under the direction of Reggie Blythewood in 45 days. The script could have used a bit more work but the performances of Fisburne and Luke really highlight the film. The film has some bike stunts and is a good way to waste a Saturday afternoon.
Good On A Rainy Day
MCMAYNERBERRY2 April 2008
An action-packed contemporary Western on wheels with desperado's who live every day on the edge. Lawyers and city workers by day, they take to the streets in their leathers to race by night.

In the world of underground motorcycle clubs, the undefeated racer known as Smoke (Fishburne) is the undisputed "King of Cali." But Smoke's dominance of the set is about to be threatened by a young motorcycle racing prodigy called Kid (Luke), who is determined to win Smoke's helmet and earn the coveted title. An average movie which still i found very entertaining. I would recommend it for a rainy day or whenever. Biker Boyz 7/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No value at all ! ! !
WalterFrith1 February 2003
Considering that the two leads in this film have a good reputation both short term and long term, this film was terribly made. Short term, Derek Luke made such an astonishingly impressive contribution to 'Antwone Fisher' that while taking one step forward in his career with that film he has now taken three steps back with 'Biker Boyz'. Long term, Laurence Fishburne is such a great actor with his record of great achievements in 'Apocalypse Now', 'Boyz N the Hood', his Oscar nominated role in 'What's Love Got To Do With It' and his role as the backbone of 'The Matrix', that this was a major shock to see him in this trash. 'Biker Boyz' is a flatly directed and horribly photographed and edited mess. Not to mention the script which is as intriguing to listen to as reading graffiti off of the bathroom wall. I can think of few films that do more to take the audience's concentration out of the first half hour. Your mind wanders whether you want it to or not. The way this film is photographed and edited makes it look like a music video reject. One angle shifts to another and you get lost in the action not knowing exactly what happened while its happening but rather knowing what happened after its over. Bizarre! I'm glad Hollywood gets this junk out of its system early in the year and then the films get better (only slight these days, however) later in the year.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a second rate film that does nothing more than show off with it's bikes, rather than any brains!
ilovedolby2 February 2003
How I avoided hearing any hype about this film is beyond me. I usually see trailers for the majority of the ‘big-budget' film releases. Nonetheless, if I had seen a trailer for Biker Boyz prior to seeing the film, there is a good chance that I would have avoided seeing it at all. Quite frankly, the film tries to be like two car racing films from 2001: Driven, and The Fast & The Furious. Driven, which wasn't a great film by any means, but I found it to be likable. The Fast & The Furious was a fun, exciting film to watch. But Biker Boyz tries hard to be like both films. In the end, the concept just doesn't work very well. Starring Laurence Fishburn, newcomer Derek Luke, the humorous, although not in this film Orlando Jones, and Djimon Hounsou. The story is a-typical and can be predicted easily. After witnessing his father's death, a young man named Kid, played by Derek Luke (Antwone Fisher) dreams of racing motorcycles and creating a biker club, like his dead father's club, The Black Knights. But Kid wants things to be different, and he believes that he is better than his father's best racer, known as the King Of Cali, Manual ‘Smoke' Calloway, played by Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix). With the help of three friends, he creates a biker club called the Biker Boyz, and there mission is to reach the top of the biker clubs, with Kid's mission being to take the title away from ‘Smoke,' the King Of Cali. But Kid has to grow up and realize that being the best isn't as simple as wanting it; it has to earned through experience in racing.

Biker Boyz does not lack some very talented actors. Especially new comer, Derek Luke, whose brake out performance in Denzel Washington's recent film, Antwone Fisher won him critical appeal. Antwone Fisher is also a very good motion picture. Having seen it myself, it's quite an accomplishment for the young actor to have gotten his start in such a good film. I would normally expect a new comer to appear in a film like Biker Boyz, which is really just a second rate film that does nothing more than show off with it's bikes, rather than any brains. I was very much surprised to see Djimon Hounsou in this film. He's an extremely talented actor who's appeared in several great films, including Steven Spielberg's Amistad. Other films to Hounsou's credit are Stargate, Gladiator, The Four Feathers, In America, and he will be appearing in an upcoming summer release of Lara Croft And The Cradle Of Life: Tomb Raider 2.

Laurence Fishburne stars in Biker Boyz, as well. Fishburne is no stranger to the big screen with his roles in such films as The Matrix, Othello, Boyz N the Hood, Fled, Event Horizon, and Hoodlum. Not to mention that he will be appearing in what will certainly be some of this year's biggest blockbuster films, The Matrix Reloaded, and The Matrix Revolutions. And you can see Fishburne in another film due out this year, Mystic River, which will co-star Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and will be directed by Clint Eastwood. Despite the fact that Biker Boyz has some great acting talent, it's really below the caliber of film for these actors to be appearing. However, it will be good for Derek Luke in a sense that it will give him some buzz among the public. He's already noted by critics for his work in Antwone Fisher, which was not a financial success at the box-office. But especially Djimon Hounsou, who is a great actor and always gives a good performance regardless of the films he is in. The performances in this film weren't really bad by any means, but there certainly isn't anything great to point out here. The direction by Reggie Rock Bythewood, who has directed one other film from 2000, titled Dancing in September really isn't all that great. The racing scenes were just okay in how they were filmed. The soundtrack for the film includes some good songs. But overall, Biker Boyz, although not a bad film, wasn't really good to begin with. **
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A BIKER MOVIE WITH NO BALLS...
matija-trost18 July 2003
...or an advertising campaign for bikers to wear helmets.

Being a sports biker and knowing adrenaline rush driving my motorycle up to the limit, I certainly expected more action. True, from the movie called Biker Boyz you couldn't expect a serious drama or hard to get dialogs, but hey, at least what could you expect is to get a feel of what is like to be in race with a 900 ccm monster. In this movie the otherwise cool bikes looked like scooters.

The only character I could relate to was Smoke (Laurance Fishburne), others were unsuitable Kid (Derek Luke), wooden Dogg (Kid Rock) or lost their sex appeal Queenie (Lisa Bonet). But most of the fault goes to the director and scriptwritter since they made me nearly asleep throughout the movie.

The movie, where bikes looked cooler than the rest of the crew, doesn't deserve a higher grade than

3 out of 10.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Biker Borez goes from 0 to 5mph in over 90 mins.
torrascotia18 April 2019
It takes a special kind of movie to make Torque look like a masterpiece. This could and should have been an entertaining movie about biking, with the calibre of cast involved and the uniqueness of a black biker gang story line. There are alot of well known faces and this must have been the worst movie everyone of them has ever been in. The ingredients were all there for an explosive movie however what we get is slow moving melodrama lacking any excitement. What this movie does have are all the cliches from the Fast/Furious franchise ie everyone is a model, they all have ridiculously expensive machines but no jobs, they dance anywhere to rubbish music and they all live by some odd street rules that nobody has ever heard of and there are loads of them. So basically all the garbage which gets teenage boys excited for no reason but doesnt make it a decent movie. The thing is however the Fast/Furious franchise can get away with this as they have great action sequences which carry the movie. If you can imagine a Fast/Furious type movie but without the action and excitement then this is what you are left with. The biggest draw of this movie should have been exciting bike action but this movie actually makes riding at over 100 mph seem very boring. How is that even possible? Well one way is the bad choice in slow R&B type emotional songs instead of having something more exciting and aggressive. The music used seems to suck all the energy out of what should be exciting action. The comments from bike enthusiasts seem to be in agreement the biking was neither realistic or exciting. They could have had their pick of decent rap, metal or even electronic music would have helped things along. There is also such a lack of tension during the races you simply don't care. Nor is it even clear who you should be rooting for as almost everyone seems to be an arrogant idiot. Its all gym bodied people who are too cool to actually be nice to each other, everyone seems permanently annoyed with everyone else but no one seems to mind because hey they are all cool bikers and apparently part of that is being uncivil, must be part of their unwritten biker book of the road they all seem to have read? There is supposed to be some kind of message about growing up or fatherhood but its simply not clear what it is or why you should care. For all its faults, Torque is far more entertaining than this.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only for bike stunt lovers
allar10022 June 2003
The movie is barely even entertaining unless you are with a group of drinking buddies making fun of it. The only reason to watch the forced plot, weak dialogue, music video camera work waste of time is if you love motorcycles, and like watching stunts performed on them. Even then, if you really want to see that, just go get a specialty film. FOR BIKE ENTHUSIAST ONLY.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Biker Boyz
quisha-0119525 March 2021
I love the cast there is some great actors in this movie, the stunts were great, the storyline realistic, definitely worth a watch I give it a 6/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not just crap, also horrible (spoilers)
udeaasykle6 March 2004
Lets make a movie on how cool it is to be a biker, competing with other bikers and getting the hot woman. Wow, nobody has done this before. This movie sucks from beginning to end. About Lawrence Fishburne i can only say this. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Besides him the others are pretty much unknown actors in my book so i don't really care. Here is the story. Boy looses legend father, wants to become a bike street racer, finds out his rival is his real father, races him and they become friends. Hurrah for the all time crappy story. This sounds like a "Full House" story but believe me, it is not. I pretty much knew the movie sucked before i put it on since it stared Kid Rock. I have to wonder. Do they ever stop making crappy movies? Wonder who first thought that this was a good movie. Since it is not as dreadful and awful as "drumline" this gets a 2.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I bought the DVD - Now I'm selling it on Ebay!!!
fallyhag7 December 2003
I took the chance and bought the DVD without seeing the film first. I knew it was a gamble but the idea of the film seemed good. As a biker, I knew that I would just have to like it. How wrong I was.....

Rather than waffle on I will sum it all up:

1. It is directed very poorly, with several lame attempts to try and be alternative and radical.

2. The storyline fails to maintain a very low standard and stoops to the levels of being suitable for a coma victim.

3. The bike action scenes - well I think there were some but I blinked half way through so I may have missed some of them?

The one saviour is that the DVD is above average and the menu's and scene selections are better than some major releases.

In summary, it is very unlikely tha you will find this film entertaining and as one review put it, you will be sooo releived when the final predictable scene in the film has come and gone.

Recommendation: Dont bother!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe the first Rip Off of The Fast & the Furious
patrickfilbeck9 July 2021
A wasted Fishburne, low Action Scenes and it takes itself too serious. Oh. And the poster is crap too.