Big Fish (2003)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 36 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for a fight scene, some images of nudity and a suggestive reference|
Sex & Nudity
- A man falls over and off a toilet (from a heart attack) while reading Playboy magazine (all we see is the cover featuring the signature bunny/rabbit design, and we later see this same scene again).
- We see the rear view of a nude woman standing in water just below her lower back. The very top of her butt is visible for a few moments.
- A nude woman is also seen swimming around a car underwater; her buttocks can be briefly seen.
- Edward briefly mentions his mother was "banging" a milkman.
- Edward washes a very obese man in a bathtub with a scrub on a stick (the soap bubbles cover any "sensitive" areas). No nudity and for laughs.
- A man is seen nude but Edward offers him something to cover himself up with. His rear is glimpsed.
Violence & Gore
- There's a brief moment where Young Edward wrestles with a large fish to get his wedding ring back, which it promply delivers.
- An old man falls off a ladder and dies in a premonition and in another, a man has a heart attack and falls off a toilet. (The latter is seen again later)
- We briefly see Edward playing American Football, including pushing and running across a man's back.
- We see bones outside a cave where a giant resides.
- Edward throws a rock at a giant, but it doesn't hurt him.
- Edward throws a rock at a bird, but ends up hitting a bee's nest and getting chased by bees.
- A man uses fire sticks and extinguishes them with his mouth (which may be imitable)
- Edward gets hit by an amusement park ride and lands in a field. (He's fine)
- Edward is shot out of a cannon. (He's fine)
- Edward opens a trailer door to discover the man inside has turned into a wolf, which attacks him. Another man tries to shoot the wolf but hits Edward (non-fatally).
- Edward and Don have a fight. Edward is told not to hurt him and he complies. Don beats him and punches him. Edward is bloodied and has a black eye.
- Edward is briefly seen hitting a man in the face with the butt of his rifle. He hits him across the face, knocking him out, and pushes him over a blacony. He then absails down the balcony and lands on another man.
- Two men make martial arts spins towards Edward. He puts on his night vision goggles and turns out the light. We hear thuds and thwacks and when Edward turns the lights back on, they are on the floor.
- Norther shoots the ceiling of a bank he is robbing.
- A giant overturns a car to let Will and Edward through.
- At least 3 "s" words, 1 slang term for sex ("banging"), 1 bitch, 3 damns, 3 hells and 1 incomplete "Son of a..."
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A man is seen smoking.
- Old Edward and several other guests have drinks at a party.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Edward tells his son a story about a witch that might creep out a few children. It turns out, however that the witch is friendly. The witch then shows the children her glass eye, where one can see one's death.
- A giant is seen about to eat a sheep. Edward fearlessly goes to talk to him; it's turns out again that the giant is friendly
- Edward decides to venture down a road that has a reputation for being haunted. We see that it's rather creepy and misty inside. Edward gets chased by bees. He ventures into a cobwebbed-filled passage that has spiders in it that many be creepy to those who have arachnopohbia.
- A snake swims up river towards a woman and Edward stops it.
- Edward goes back through the forrest and the trees grab him, but they let go when he realizes this isn't how he's supposed to die.
- Edward tells a story about some dreams he had about a crow who told people they were going to die and they did.
- A cat dives off a high platform and into a cushion below as part of a circus act.
- Edward opens a trailer door to discover the man inside has turned into a wolf, which attacks him. Another man tries to shoot the wolf but hits Edward (non-fatally). Edward picks up a stick and the wolf plays fetch.
- Norther and Edward rob a bank.
- The themes of death may upset some viewers.
Sex & Nudity
- Will asks Jenny if Edward had an affair with her. We later see her offering in flashback to kiss Edward, but he declines it and reiterates he loves his wife.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- In an imagined and symbolic scene, an adult son takes his ailing father into a river, lowers him down into it and we then see the father's face disappear down into the water. While not inherently disturbing (and it's actually quite touching), some younger kids might not get the symbolism and might find it unnerving.