The Incredibles (2004) Poster

One of the best films ever made
evansjoshyr20 February 2021
17 years after incredibles was released, it continues to be a compelling, entertaining, funny, smart, ambitious, original, mature and just simply enjoyable movie. The dialogue is exceptional and the animation holds up surprisingly well. The characters are well written and very fleshed out. It is an animated film about superheroes and yet the chatacters and world feel so real.

It is my favourite pixar film and probably always will be. If you haven't seen this masterpiece yet, stop reading this review and go watch it right now. Infact, even if you've seen it before, just watch it right now. It is that freaking good.
44 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite film from Pixar in over five years- Bird and company produce a triumph of a family film
Quinoa19845 November 2004
Writer-director Brad Bird here has something that I was caught off-guard by just a bit. I always expect Pixar films to be above-par, family entertainment, the kinds of films that can have an appeal to adults on a satirical, jab-in-the-side effect by having the characters reacting to each other as they would on a film with a higher rating, whilst giving the bright colors, action, and silliness that appeals to kids. Watching The Incredibles, their sixth feature-length offering, I wasn't so entertained and amused since their 98 film A Bug's Life, and it almost brought me back to the emotional impact I felt when in the theater for the first time getting Toy Story into my system.

It's a film that takes on a type in society that we all know well (in the past they've done toys, bugs, monsters, undersea life, and now comic book archetypes) and transforms it superbly to the imaginative computer-animated landscape. This is also in credit due to Brad Bird, who proved five years ago with his sleeper The Iron Giant that he could transcend the genre and appeal with heart and vigor for almost every age bracket.

So what little touches make The Incredibles so appealing? How it starts to deconstruct the idea of a superhero, perhaps, as well as how the family unit is shown in the usual conventions under unusual and funny circumstances. As an example, one of our heroes Mr. Incredible, a.k.a. Bob Parr (voiced wonderfully by Craig T. Nelson), goes to visit a woman who fixes and creates the uniforms of superheroes. In one scene she explains why a cape is not a good idea. This is the kind of scene that might not make it into most Hollywood movies, and would sometimes if not often be discredited as being too 'smart' for kids to get. But by appealing to a kind of level late teens and adults can relate to, it reaches a higher, far more intelligent plane. In fact, many of the best scenes in the film take on what we all know in films displaying the 'family unit' and morph it with the power and imagination of superheroes.

I won't go too much into the plot as some may already have, except to say that what makes the story in and of itself appealing is how it is a fully formed story, and doesn't try and sell itself short like other animated films (i.e. Sharktale for example). It also uses it's PG-rating perimeter wisely, and Bird and company create action sequences that are as exciting, if not more so, than in the action films that have been released this year (in fact, some of the scenes in the climax, for my money, could rival a couple of those in Spider-Man 2). By setting up the right emotional bases with the characters- Bob, his wife Elasti-girl (Holly Hunter), their kids, and with supporting characters voiced finitely by the likes of Samuel L. Jackson and Jason Lee, by the time the high-charged, internally fantasy scenes take off, they take off with great conviction and excitement.

Overall, The Incredibles is a film that is, in a way, what audiences wish they could get and rarely do- it's a film with wit and observance, a kind of video-game where the results are not as expectable as can be. Some kids may not get it as much as adults might, which is just as well, as it sometimes operates on a level like Antz did, only through the sphere of Disney. In other words, if you say the teaser trailer, which involved the out-of-shape Mr. Incredible trying with all his might to buckle his tights, you'll know what the film could bring. Personally, I can't wait to see it again.
255 out of 313 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Truly, Pardon the Pun, Incredible Movie
Sargebri13 November 2004
This is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen. Not only is it a fine animated film, it is a great film period. The film obviously takes its cue from several real life super hero comic books, especially The Fantastic Four and the Justice Society of America. The Fantastic Four comparison is obvious due to the fact that Elatigirl and Violet were obviously inspired by Mr. Fantastic (aka. Reed Richards) and the Invisible Woman (aka. Sue Storm Richards) respectively. The J.S.A. influence is a little more obscure. Several years ago, DC Comics issued a mini-series that attempted to explain the demise of the Justice Society by claiming that the group was forced to disband after their loyalty to America was questioned during the 1950's. In this film, all the heroes were forced into hiding after the government refused to pay for wrongful legal claims brought against the super heroes of this film. Also, there are many in jokes that the casual viewer might not get, but that made it enjoyable for comic book fans. This the island scenes look as if they could have been inspired by many of the series produced by Gerry Anderson of the 1960's (eg. the Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet).

Another thing that made this film unique was its look. If you notice, the city where the story takes place looks like a fairly modern metropolis. However, if you look at the cars in the film, most of them look as if they would have been more at home in the mid to late 1960's. Also, the way that many of the characters were dressed also could have put them in that time.

However, the thing that I really loved about this film was the fact that even though it was geared primarily to children, it was dark enough in theme to appeal to adults. In fact, there are a couple of scenes that you wouldn't normally associate with a film geared towards children.

This film is definitely a classic of animation and once again Pixar shows why they are the masters of computer animation.
135 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and fun
basrutten24 December 2004
Shortly after Dreamworks screwed up with the uninspired "Shark Tale", Pixar contains its remarkably success story with "The Incredibles". And while I have to say that I liked "Finding Nemo" a bit better, "The Incredibles" is still an amazing movie.

First of all, this is because it's funny. It's not so funny that you're constantly laughing out loud, but there are more than enough good jokes in the movie to keep you entertained, and it's full of good observations about superhero movies (note all the ridiculous superhero and villain names) and references to other movies. It's also a brilliant James Bond spoof/homage, containing all the gadgets, secret island bases and crazy schemes that made early Bond movies so much fun.

Secondly, this movie has heart and charm in droves. It's full of memorably and likable characters you can really identify with and care about. Characters like Edna are instant classics. The voice acting is universally excellent, but Holly Hunter steals the show as Elastigirl. This is a movie that doesn't need toilet humor, characters modeled like celebrities, or a "hip" soundtrack...it easily succeeds on charm and style alone.

Also, I found it to be a surprisingly good action movie. The plentiful action sequences are full of energy, extremely fast-paced, and exciting, and put many a live-action movie to shame.

Finally, I also liked the tone and message of the movie. "The Incredibles" basically makes a plea against mediocrity, breaking with the politically correct idea that "everybody is special" (and thus nobody really is), and encouraging people to use the talents they have been given. I think this couldn't be more true. Not all people are equally talented (just compare Pixar to Dreamworks), but this is no reason to keep the talented people from not reaching their full potential just because it makes the less talented ones feel bad.

"The Incredibles", while maybe not as hilarious as I had hoped (though it's still very funny), is nonetheless an extremely entertaining movie, that manages to charm you wit its combination of great characters, lots of style, tongue-in-cheek attitude and good message. Highly recommended.

****1/2 of ***** stars
273 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful, beautiful to watch, all in all, incredible.
PyrolyticCarbon21 November 2004
WOW! What a movie. I can honestly say this is in my top ten movies of all time, how do Pixar continue to out do themselves at every movie release?

The Incredibles is a fantastic story, wonderfully scripted and with the most stunning animation you have ever seen, it provides a perfectly rounded story with plenty of action, laughs and (almost) tears.

Basically, this is a story of a man encountering a mid life crisis and leaping headlong into it without a care or a thought for his family, proving exceedingly selfish and failing to see the good in his life. Meanwhile the wife is left to try and look after the family. Really, that's the story. Now, what Pixar have done is drop in the idea that the parents are Superheroes, banned from being Super many years previously by the Government and the people, trying to live a normal life. Add to the mix that some of their children have inherited their own powers and that the Super villains are planning a comeback, and you have this wonderful movie.

I can't begin to convey how wonderful the animation is, it's perfect. I mean you'll always be looking at it knowing it's animation, but when the story takes you along you'll suddenly realize you're still watching animation. The subtle difference is that you forget, and there are parts (for instance when the father is cheering his son during the race) that you actually think it is real. The effects for water, fire (two of the hardest things to recreate in animation) and lava are wonderful to watch and caught me drawing a breath when I first saw them.

The characters and acting are wonderful, and you will find yourself caring about them as real people. At some points I could feel a big swallow coming up and a wavering adams apple, obviously due to the food earlier, nothing to do with the movie.

I often find that movies aren't paced well, that they either have too long or too short an introduction to the characters, or the events that lead up to the pivotal point of the movie are unbalanced against the climax, all sorts of combinations. Not here, this move is perfect and well balanced, the story takes you along just when you are ready, and there were no points where I wished we could move on, or something could happen quicker. My only frustration were at the kids, and this was only because they were behaving exactly as real kids would.

It was interesting to see the comparisons and links to other famous Superheroes through comic-lore. Definitely with nods to The Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and huge nods to The Watchmen. My only concern is that there is so much similarity to The Watchmen that those who haven't read the graphic novel will be saying "That's the Incredibles movie" when Watchmen finally comes to fruition.

The short film showing before this was wonderful in itself, and had the audience laughing out loud loads. Excellent, and once again, outdoes every short that they've produced before. Boundin' was beautifully animated and wonderfully told. Guaranteed to bring a huge big smile to your face.

All in all I think this movie is perfect and truly incredible.
359 out of 443 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dahling, dahling, dahling.... this movie is incredible
Mr Parker7 November 2004
I hope that this movie does really well because this has to be one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. The story is really cool and it's obvious that there is a lot of respect here for the source of superheroes, whether it be comic books, serial flicks or Saturday morning cartoons.

The movie has an undeniably cool retro feel to it and it shows not only in the design of the picture but also in the music, which definitely sounds like something out of a 60's 007 flick. It is also unusually dark, especially for a Pixar flick. I'm not saying it's dark where people are getting their heads delivered to someone in a box or family members are sleeping with each other or anything like that but there were moments where I found myself wondering if a little kid might be able to deal with the intensity of what was going on on screen. Maybe it was the fact that the heroes were in very real danger most of the time. The bad guys weren't out to catch them as much as they were out to kill them. When you discover who the film's villain is, you can literally feel his anger coming off the screen. I may be over-exaggerating a bit but then again, it really is to the film's credit that it deals with human emotions in the way that it does.

Even though you are watching a film that is populated by CGI characters, the emotions they convey in what they say and do come across as purely believable. Whether watching Bob Parr interact with people at his job or just sitting at his desk was something that rang true to me, just in the feeling of it. Everything about this movie has a very concrete feel to it, even while looking like something you'd see in a comic book. The computer graphics in general were absolutely amazing and the voice acting is excellent across the board, so good in fact, that I really can't pick a favorite from the entire cast. I have to say that Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter were very good as Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl respectively. They had a moment near the end of the film that actually touched me but you can see that for yourselves. Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious and thankfully, he wasn't overused. Dash and Violet were realized so well that every time they came up on screen, I loved every minute of it. Dash, in particular was one of the funniest characters in the movie. Jason Lee made for a formidable villain as Syndrome. I loved the fact that he was your typical antagonist but was also aware of the conventions surrounding such a role, like when he chides himself for 'monologuing'. He was also one ruthless bastard, I'll give him that. Even the bit part characters were hilarious. There was a kid on a tricycle in this movie who comes out twice and made me laugh out loud both times.

In fact, this movie reminds me of why I like Finding Nemo over Monsters, Inc. In Finding Nemo, not only are the main characters great but every other character they run into makes some kind of impression on you. Remember all the characters that Marlin and Dory ran into on their adventures together? Of course you do. Whether it was that crazy pelican with the Australian accent, Willem Dafoe as Gill, leader of the fishtank crew, or Bruce the Shark, you remember them after all is said and done and it makes the viewing experience that much richer. That's exactly how The Incredibles is. Every character that appears will make you laugh or intrigue you in some way. I have to admit that I was laughing myself throughout the entire movie, especially with the character of Edna Mode who almost steals the movie. Man, even the end credits are awesome! I have to give the director Brad Bird a big thumbs up for this one. He pulled it off and hopefully this will attract attention to his other animated film, "The Iron Giant", which was sadly overlooked when it was released and is also a really great film.

All in all, I can't recommend this movie enough. I left very satisfied and felt no need to compare this to the rest of Pixar's movies. This one is just as good if not better than any other animated movie released this year and rightfully deserves its place among the best animated movies of all time.

RATING: ***** out of *****.
306 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Entertainemt For About Any Age
ccthemovieman-117 February 2008
This was somewhat of a surprise hit when it came out in 2004. Most of the attention was on a competing animated film but this is the one that turned out to be a huge box-office success. Word of mouth helped his immensely. It's what made me check it out, as several friends recommended it. I wound up agreeing with them: it's excellent entertainment.

The visuals and sound are very impressive, but it's the story that carries this film: a solid combination of humor, drama, suspense, family ties and action. The action, as in many modern-day films, was overdone in the last half hour of the movie but overall....the DVD is a good investment since people 3 to 63 should enjoy this.

As an adult, it's not always easy to keep my attention for two hours with animation but the fact this movie does, tells you how good the story is presented. There are wonderful colors in here, too, and a good 5.1 surround system with a sub-woofer would probably blow the roof off!
41 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very predictable, but very lovable at the same time
Smells_Like_Cheese18 April 2005
Yes, I've seen this story a million times. I'm also not a very big fan of Disney and Pixar together, but this time they got me hooked. After fearing to rent this, many of my friends convinced me that I should take a look at it. So, I did and feel in love with it.

The effects, I feel like today, there are way too many fancy computer effect movies. But it works with "The Incredibles" because that's half the humor with it. There are some very reconizable voices in there that you know very well.

Is this just a kid's movie? No, it does contain some adult humor. I can see with parents taking their kids to the theater, it has to be somewhat enjoyable to adults too. So as a family or whether you have children or little relatives, I would recommend this movie for you guys. It is very enjoyable and fun to watch.

86 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's most "epic" animated film since "Toy Story."
MovieAddict201626 April 2005
Although "The Incredibles" is not the best film Pixar has released (via Disney) since 1995's "Toy Story," I felt it is the most epic. When I went to go see "Toy Story" in 1995, the epic scale of the picture -- the non-stop frantic pace, the action sequences, etc. -- were all so breathtaking that it contained the same tour de force attitude as, believe it or not, a blockbuster such as "Terminator 2": a crowd-pleasing, overwhelming picture.

"Monsters, Inc." wasn't quite as epic. It was a great movie, just as good as "Toy Story," but it didn't have the same style per se. "Finding Nemo" was very good as well but still didn't capture the same epic scale as "Toy Story." (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just different.) "The Incredibles" seemed to. I saw it on DVD and from beginning to end the action is non-stop, the laughs aplenty, and the exotic locations and action-hero references continuous. For this reason, somehow, it reminded me very much of "Toy Story." It seemed like older Pixar, rather than some of their newer stuff (all of which is great as well). Pixar has yet to make a bad movie. Even their worst -- "A Bug's Life" -- was better than most animated films.

"The Incredibles" also returns to the spoof roots of "Monsters, Inc." and "Toy Story" (something "Finding Nemo" did but not as often) -- it parodies cultural references. (Something hard to do in an underwater sea adventure.) Although this is a family film, it is NOT a "children's film." That is evident from the beginning when the fake news reel in "The Incredibles" features articles about a suicidal man suing superheroes because he "didn't want to be saved." This is clearly a tongue-in-cheek criticism of the shameless legal standards of the day. (Such as the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was too hot. A true story!) Another film might not be clever enough to integrate iconic cultural references into itself but "The Incredibles" does.

Similarly, using superheroes, Pixar examines the at-home relationship of a family and spoofs our own rituals. (Such as eating at the dinner table -- the mom tries to stop the squabbling kids just like we do, only because she has superpowers, it's a bit... different.) All in all "The Incredibles" really is a great animated film. I enjoyed it more than "Finding Nemo" (which I didn't expect to as I loved "Nemo") and just as much as "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc." Pixar has solidified a new style of family film-making -- the cultural parody animated film -- and the evidence of this can be seen in such take-offs of the formula as "Shrek" and "Shark Tale" (which featured many cultural references as well).

All in all "The Incredibles" is incredibly fun. And funny.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing! Brilliant! Fabulous! Wonderful! Astonishing! I'm not avoiding using a certain word!
ThePedofinderGeneral23 December 2004
The Incredibles is a great film, and probably my favourite Pixar picture (Toy Story is the best, but that's different to favourite). It takes a while to properly get into the action, but when it does, it delivers it in spades.

And that's exactly it. I would actually call The Incredibles an animated action film, because to be honest, I don't think there was enough comedy to call it an animated action comedy film. There are quite a few funny moments, but the gags don't come as fast as Finding Nemo or Toy Story.

That being said, it does have truly amazing action set-pieces, brilliant voice acting, a fabulous script, wonderful characters and the animation is simply.....well....incredible.

The music is definitely a stand-out. It actually made me smile, with it's jazzy tones and James Bond type scores.

One of the greatest things about The Incredibles is that it's not a kiddies film; it's completely different to all the other Pixar films. They bring out tommy guns in the second scene, for crying out loud! If you want to see a more adult animated film, then go see The Incredibles, and enjoy every minute. But I wouldn't bring someone younger than 4 maybe, because it isn't really aimed at them, and they probably would find it quite scary.

This is a great film, one of the best of 2004 in my opinion. If it just had a slightly higher gag rate, than this would be an absolutely perfect picture.

186 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Incredibles 2004 Review
chandean-697627 February 2021
An amazing family film and also one of the best superhero films of all time. Action is amazing, especially in the final act with such a range of powers all used brilliantly. And do I need to say anything about the animation? Pixar just knocks it out of the park every time. The Incredibles is just full of personality and charm, making it endlessly rewatchable.

Also we need a Frozone solo movie.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Movie That Really Deserves to Be Among the IMDb Top 100
claudio_carvalho11 April 2005
After many unfair lawsuits against superheroes, inflicted by persons saved by them, the government requests the superheroes to retire and hide their identity as if they were normal citizens. Mr. Incredible marries Elastigirl, has three children (Violet, Dash and Jack Jack) and has a boring job in an insurance company. When a chance is offered to Mr. Incredible to become a hero again, he becomes happy and in shape. However, when the identity of the mysterious contractor is revealed, the family has to fight together against the evil Syndrome to stay alive. "The Incredible" is an amazing movie, and has superseded my best expectation of an animation. The story is excellent, having action and humor in right doses, the characters are very charismatic and it is a movie recommended as an excellent family entertainment. Today there are 528 comments, most of them favorable, and the movie is in top 250: #91. Therefore, I believe it is not necessary to extend my review. Last but not the least, "The Incredible" is a movie that really deserves to be among the IMDb Top 100. Lets wait for the inevitable sequel… My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Os Incríveis" ("The Incredibles")
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it a bird, no it's a plane, no it's the Incredibles
silva-w-pius29 May 2014
Is it a bird, no it's a plane, no it's the Incredibles…Imagine if one crazed scientist had a colossal sized blender and put the love and affection of The Modern Family in it, then sprinkled some dysfunctional madness of Malcolm in the Middle and then added superpowers to the mix, I guarantee that what comes out still won't be a match for the crazy, adorable, high octane and utter zaniness that are the Incredibles. The dad is supper strong, the mother can stretch like taffy, and the teenage girl can become invisible and throw up force fields and the 10 year old is lightening fast, which is quiet lucky when they must come up against the rich, genius of the villainous Syndrome, who seeks to destroy the hero he once worshipped in Mr. Incredible and an the whole city along with him. Despite the film being an animation featuring a story line that was extremely fantastical, not once did I remember it was a movie. The actions scenes were spell bounding and highly imaginative. But most importantly, I really believed in these characters that spat witty sharp dialogue at each other at a furious pace, not just because they were funny, but because the characters were so believable and relatable. Subsequently it should come as to no surprise that film was nominated for a best screenplay Oscar, which is a rarity for an animated film, but this ain't just your average animated film, it's an Incredible animated film
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It really is incredible.
Pjtaylor-96-13804421 July 2018
'The Incredibles (2004)' is a masterclass in character, always putting its central family in front of its superb superhero action. That action is often somewhat counter-intuitively but cleverly conveyed using the tropes and language of the spy genre, giving the movie a decidedly 60s flavour in the process. The piece is a much more mature affair than you might expect, being a family film in every sense of the word - a movie suitable for kids as opposed to one made for them. It is nuanced, affecting and will actually pay off more for the older members of its audience. It plays like a live-action picture with the world's most convincing special effects, since they're rendered exactly like the rest of the flick, and some of the most convincing characters, too. What makes the film so fantastic is that it's genuinely entertaining all the way through. It's properly funny, intriguing, suspenseful, emotionally impactful and exciting. What's so impressive is that it easily rises to the top of its genre, standing amongst the best of its peers (and even, in itself, commenting on them), despite being released when that very same genre was still in its infancy. It stands tall as apparent 'kid' fare that's far more mature than most 'adult' - or, at least, 'teen' - stuff being produced even today (over ten years after its release). It's effortlessly enjoyable and wonderfully conceived. Really, it's just incredible. 9/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible in every sense of it!
Jay_Exiomo25 July 2005
"The Incredibles" is by far and away the most mature and engaging Pixar film to date.

This movie is nothing less than a display of sheer brilliance to an utmost prestigious level that proves the genius in director Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant"). From the perfectly created characters to the witty and humorous dialog involved, "The Incredibles" is the ideal film for true fans of the animation and/or comic book genre. It doesn't fail to provide viewers of with a fragment of every genre; incredible animation, action, and even a bit of drama.

However, the aspect most evident in "The Incredibles" that was frequently credited for the success of its predecessors was the emotional aspect. The thesis on midlife crossroads on personal and professional dilemmas was well presented.

Bob Parr (Craig T. Nelson) seems an average guy who works in an insurance agency, and lives a "normal" mediocre life with his wife Helen and three kids: Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. But there's more to it, actually. Bob used to be Mr. Incredible, and Helen was Elastigirl (Holly Hunter), two of the world's greatest crime fighters until a series of lawsuits have forced superheroes to adopt civilian identities. But when Bob receives a mysterious call that has him for a top secret assignment, he sees this as an opportunity to be Mr. Incredible again. He accepts the mission but soon discovers that it is a trap of a nemesis from way back, and the whole family eventually has to to join him to fight evil and save the world.

What we have here is something that unfortunately becoming quite a rare thing nowadays: an example of a truly brilliant animation. As I have said, not only does it have some of the most phenomenal computer graphics and action sequences ever committed to film, but like all the best movies it also has the heart to support the movie between the adrenaline-pumping moments.

The main reason for this is the great characterization. "The Incredibles" may contain a little too much of violence that may be better suited for older children than the younger ones. Yet one cannot easily discount the family themes and comic episodes, with characters like superhero-costume designer Edna (voiced by Bird) and Bob's friend Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) providing ample support.

Another is that the film, as is with previous Pixar films, is effective in the use of computer generated images (CGI) which is a major plus for moviegoers. The details in which the animators for the film present are awe-inspiring and breathtaking. The music also pasted itself impeccably with the atmosphere Bird has created for the film. Very retro.

It is a demonstration of precision and excellence, created by the brilliance and meticulous mannerisms of the director. It goes beyond an animated movie and is without a doubt one of the best animations of all time. It is truly incredible to see a film like this.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest adventure of 2004!
MaxBorg898 December 2005
The Incredibles is further proof Pixar focuses more on story and characters rather than in-jokes and celebrity voices, as in Dreamworks'features (not that there's anything wrong with that, just look at Shrek 1 AND 2). Okay, there are quite a lot of pop-culture references in this film, because of the story, but that doesn't stop The Incredibles from being an... incredible movie.

For the first time in a Pixar film, the main characters are human: Bob Parr (Craig T. Nelson) used to be a great superhero, Mr.Incredible, until such activities became illegal (fans of Alan Moore may find that concept familiar). Now he has to deal with a boring job and his family: wife Helen (Holly Hunter), aka Elastigirl, and three kids, Dash (who's called Flash in the Italian version, guess why), Violet(who's got the same powers as Marvel's Invisible Woman) and baby Jack-Jack, who so far seems to be "normal". He's desperate to return to the old glorious days, not realizing his family is the "greatest adventure ever". And their help will be needed when a new threat shows up...

The film's best element is the script, which teaches a valuable lesson (family matters more than anything) while providing some jaw-dropping action scenes (no wonder the movie got a PG rating) and various references to the genre (almost every existing superhero is poked at, as well as James Bond and Indiana Jones). The other awesome thing is of course the characters: the titular family is basically the "super" version of the Simpsons (Bob getting home from work is pure Homer), and two supporting characters deserve a special mention. One is Frozone, Mr.Incredible's buddy, the only one in the movie who's voiced by a real star (Samuel L. Jackson, who's a gas as usual). The most important one, though, is Edna Mode, who makes the supers' outfits. Wonderful and hilarious, she's one of the best animated characters in years (ironically enough, she's voiced by a man, the movie's writer/director, Brad Bird).

For those who really love movies, The Incredibles is a must-see in the animated feature category. Don't miss it!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Pixar film, not the best one, but still very good!
TheLittleSongbird16 June 2009
I wasn't expecting The Incredibles to be as good as it was, it was inventive, funny and original, all the things that I look for in an animated film. I don't think it is Pixar's best, that's Toy Story, but it's certainly not the weakest, that's Cars though that was a worthy film as well. The animation is spot on, and just adds to the inventive feel of the film, and is helped enormously by an innovative plot that is the source of the film's originality. The story is very fast-paced, if perhaps a little slow to begin with, and the script is filled with humour to satisfy even the fussiest child. The characters are very well-done, thanks to the excellent voice cast, standouts are Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter, and My Name is Earl's Jason Lee is a big surprise as the villain Syndrome. Brad Bird's Edna was a hoot too. The film however, does have two flaws, it is overlong and sometimes drags consequently, and it is a little too violent at times, the last half-hour especially. Overall, an excellent family film, not perfect, but anybody who's seen some of the Disney direct to video sequels, save one or two exceptions will agree that the Incredibles does a much better job at entertaining than they did. 8/10 Bethany Cox.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
INCREDIBLY!!!! Creative!!
dataconflossmoor12 December 2007
This website has ranked this film to be one of the top 250 films ever made...You want to know something, I totally agree with this verdict!! This high definition surreal film by the master of animation...Walt Disney, evoked a successful culmination of cinematic brilliance on a myriad of artistic production levels!! An accomplishment like this epitomizes the term "entertaining" in it's most resounding form!! In evaluating the initial premise of this film, it compounds the dilemma of the proverbial glory days being a thing of the past!! A guy who was a football hero in his school days whereby it was routine to score four touchdowns in a game, and eventually, it fades due to a knee injury or being out of shape or something, this signifies that his best days are over!! When a former head cheerleader who was the starlight of every male's eye, who counted on her good looks, and she loses them, her best days are over as well!! So too is the case of a family of superheroes who leaped through buildings at a single bound in a vigilante crusade to capture nefarious criminals!! Ultimately, their vicarious damage to buildings and citizens meant that the municipality had to insulate itself from any further pecuniary culpability, and relocate them!! This would seemingly suggest that the Incredible's best days are behind them also!! As is the case with so many has beens, the end result winds up being a case of the breadwinner getting relegated to the monotonous plight of an inane job such as an insurance salesman. Such mediocrity reduces the Mr and Mrs to the state of being sedentary and overly mortgaged!! This movie depicts how even a family of manufactured stick people representing the world of fantasy, cannot hide from the afflictions of mid-life crises!!!! The ultimate undoing in these superhero's lives are the non-visceral elements of banality such as; indemnity forms, traffic jams and paranoid nightmares about deteriorating marital trust!! Just as someone wants to be a star football player,or a head cheerleader, all over again, these Incredibles wish to return to their exciting lives as the superheroes who took on capital crime!! Such a plot is very innovative, the writing in this dressed up doggerel of entertainment was remarkable!! This movie has a succinctly homogeneous blend of voices which induce an appropriately heinous cacophony of emotions which effectively illustrate exuberance and despair!! The sound effects were outstanding in this movie!! The cinematography in "The Incredibles" was superb!! Middle class hang-ups have been injected into teenage movies and television ever since "The Simpsons". This trademark of domestic rancor is for purposes of appealing to a broader audience range!! I found this film to be an ingenious use of satire, while mastering a digitalized analog of intelligent caricatures!! "The Incredibles" is not just a kid's film, or an overgrown adolescent's film, it is for everybody!! The family was called the Incredibles, the movie is called FANTASTIC!!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's second best movie, but only just...
acedj13 December 2019
Nemo just slightly edges this out for me, but this movie is great just the same. It is filled with the kind of things that makes a life long superhero nerd smile and laugh. This is the story of a family of superheros that have adapted to civilian life. The reason for this? As the world became more litigious, people that were hurt collaterally by superheros started to sue for their injuries. This plot device is genius because it is so very believable. After years in retirement Bob Parr, AKA Mr. Incredible gets recruited for a mission by a mysterious person. Of course the person that recruits Bob has nefarious intentions, and unleashes a seemingly indestructible machine on the world. It is us the the Parrs, Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet and Dash, along with the family friend Frozone to save the day. I love that they cast Sam Jackson in the role as Frozone, because his super power is making ice, and Sam Jackson is the coolest MF out there. This is a great movie, not just from an animation stand point, but in the whole realm of superhero films as well.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Family Film
FiendishDramaturgy27 April 2008
Okay, by now, it's unanimous that Pixar's "The Incredibles" is a great family film. So why add another review? It's not because I think I'll say anything that a plethora of other reviewers hasn't already said, but because I feel the ~need~ to say that this is a great family film.

Too many movies barely pass for family films these days. They oftentimes contain elements and themes to which we do not wish to have our children exposed. They even, more often than not, contain messages or morals with which we do not agree and find awkward or inappropriate to explain to our children. They even promote lifestyle choices, hereditary and/or cultural differences, or unfortunate wardrobe malfunctions and still pass for family films.

This is not one of those movies. The Incredibles is wholesome, witty, and clever, while appealing to all ages. You can't say that about many movies, especially today.

All in all? This is a great movie, anytime you want a movie you don't mind your grandparents or young children watching. Plus, it's fun and does not fail to entertain.

It rates a 9.2/10 from...

the Fiend :.
Hulkingly Awesome Superhero Movie
bkrauser-81-31106425 February 2014
Shortest review ever: Incredible.

You need more? Fine. Pixar continues an unheard streak of high-quality storytelling and captivating creativity with 2004's answer to the question, "is there happiness in the world?" The Incredibles takes place in a world where super-strength, super-speed, super-cool superpowers exist and heroes are adored by the masses they protect. Yet because of impending lawsuits and municipal damages, the government has stepped in to insure our heroes' secret identities are now their only identities. Bob Parr aka Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) is struggling with his new "normal" life married to fellow superhero Elastigirl aka Helen (Holly Hunter). His job sucks, the kids have superpowers of their own they're itching to explore and he desperately misses the thrill of crime fighting. In comes a mysterious benefactor who just might be his ticket to a better life.

The Incredibles is Pixar's first real attempt at a completely human world populated by four limbed humanoids as opposed to toys or fishes or bugs. Instead of opting for close-to-human features, which most people find creepy, the characters are exaggerated and cartoony. But don't let that fool you into thinking the details of this marvelous film aren't spectacular. The settings range from Tropical Island to bustling metropolis and exhibit a unique feel and personality. The animators must have taken years out of their lives to complete a film of this caliber.

Yet even if the film wasn't as technically brilliant as it is, it'd still have a great story populated by great characters. Each main character is a new spin on the typical nuclear family with Bob being the lovable but unrealized provider who needs help with his priorities. Helen is the overworked mother, wife and voice of reason yet unlike the valium-taking housewives of the 1950's she can kick all kinds of butt. In tow are three precocious, bickering children: Dash (Spencer Fox) who possesses super-speed, Violet (Sarah Vowell) who has the power of invisibility much like many young teenagers feel they do and Jack-Jack a toddler seemingly lacking superpowers. Also in the mix is the nefarious villain Syndrome (Jason Lee) who reeks of abandonment issues and riotous Edith Head parody Edna Mode (Director Brad Bird) who nearly steals the movie.

I'm honestly surprised that a story like this hasn't been done before. There might be some serials back in the day that expounded on similar themes but I cannot recall any. Sure there are elements of superheroes turned unsanctioned vigilantes in Batman-lore and The Watchmen and The Fantastic Four does have familial ties. But mixing these two themes and adding in a cottage industry in superhero costumes; that's not just new to film but to superherodom.

If on the off-chance you were trapped underneath something heavy for the last ten years and haven't seen The Incredibles, I recommend that you go and see what you've been missing. It's a brilliant original story, artfully crafted to perfection by the dream-makers of Pixar and voiced by smartly casted actors. Did I also mention it's a non-stop thrill ride unlike any other? Well believe me when I tell you that it truly is.
One of my All-Time Favourites
Doublej200053 February 2021
First of all, everything technically is more or less perfect. From the brilliantly stylised animation, character design, settings and background design and animation effects that were ground-breaking for the art form, to quite possibly my favourite score of all time from Michael Giacchino that I've been humming more or less constantly since I watched it, to the creative and extremely enjoyable action that uses all of the family's powers to their advantage, every technical aspect is just phenomenal. The voice acting is energetic, the characters are really iconic and their interactions are the main driving force of the film. I love the fact that, underneath the superhero aspect of their lives, this is just a normal family with normal interactions, which grounds the characters in a sense of reality and makes them a lot more enjoyable to watch, particularly in the final act. Brad Bird is pretty much a master at writing dialogue that appeals to both kids and adults, and the amount of layers that some of the dialogue has makes me shocked that a film like this was even made. There are a lot of darker undertones, such as Helen thinking that Bob is cheating on her, to Bob feeling like his life no longer has any meaning to it. It again makes the characters so much more enjoyable to watch and makes the story so much more layered. The pacing is pretty much pitch perfect, and Syndrome is one of the best villains of all time - he's charismatic, funny and just a blast to see on screen. Also, the film is just so funny. So many iconic lines (And when everyone's super no one will be) (Where is my supersuit?), (Edna Mode in general) and so many great jokes (Coincidence? I think NOT!), and it makes the film ridiculously fun from start to finish. It's hard to choose a favourite element, but I think I'll go for the fact that every main character has a well developed arc, with Bob learning to reconnect with his family, particularly Helen, and Helen becoming a more motherly figure over her kids. Violet becomes more confident and Dash becomes more mature and appreciates his family more by the end of the film.

But more importantly, this has had a big impact on how I view animation. Even before I was really into film, my first big obsession was with animation. Not that I was any good at actually making animations, but I just found the way that animation was created really interesting, and my favourite animation studio was always and is still Pixar. I wouldn't say The Incredibles was one I fully appreciated until a bit after this phase, but it was one I always really enjoyed as a kid. It's grown on me gradually over the years to the point where it is now amongst my favourites of my favourites of all time. This film is one of the key reasons why I love animation so much, and in a way, it lead to my appreciation of superhero movies aswell. Overall, this is one of my favourites of all time for all of the reasons that I've listed above and more, and if you haven't already watched this, or if it's been a while since you've seen it, I implore that you check it out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Rich, Meaningful, Funny, And Visually Arresting Family Film
museumofdave9 May 2013
This refreshing cartoon is so much fun! And it's honest fun, built on character and story without relying, for a change, on pooh-pooh humor or juvenile idiocy. This film has a family of all-too human characters, which, although each member has special super- human characteristics, is also burdened with all-too-human personal challenges-- whether it be a boring job, the struggle for adolescent identity, or the need to be special in some way--this family is quite wonderful.

The Pixar animation is dazzling, from the recreation of wild, tossing seas to the attack of whirring saucers in a tropical jungle, pixar magic takes you there, but only in context of a thrilling story--and the characters are tellingly memorable, especially a costume designer likely based on Hollywood's Edith Head combined with Coco Chanel--who would have thought it in a kiddy pic? How refreshing to have a film that doesn't go for the cheap trick, the easy laugh, the lowest common denominator, but instead aims for genuine heart. This is a family film in the best possible sense of the word and will withstand the test of time.
Original!
adamstommy2 March 2020
This movie gives you something you'd never expect from an animated film! I loved this so much!