The Incredibles (2004) Poster

Charming and fun
bas rutten24 December 2004
Shortly after Dreamworks screwed up with the uninspired "Shark Tale", Pixar contains its remarkably success story with "The Incredibles". And while I have to say that I liked "Finding Nemo" a bit better, "The Incredibles" is still an amazing movie.

First of all, this is because it's funny. It's not so funny that you're constantly laughing out loud, but there are more than enough good jokes in the movie to keep you entertained, and it's full of good observations about superhero movies (note all the ridiculous superhero and villain names) and references to other movies. It's also a brilliant James Bond spoof/homage, containing all the gadgets, secret island bases and crazy schemes that made early Bond movies so much fun.

Secondly, this movie has heart and charm in droves. It's full of memorably and likable characters you can really identify with and care about. Characters like Edna are instant classics. The voice acting is universally excellent, but Holly Hunter steals the show as Elastigirl. This is a movie that doesn't need toilet humor, characters modeled like celebrities, or a "hip" soundtrack...it easily succeeds on charm and style alone.

Also, I found it to be a surprisingly good action movie. The plentiful action sequences are full of energy, extremely fast-paced, and exciting, and put many a live-action movie to shame.

Finally, I also liked the tone and message of the movie. "The Incredibles" basically makes a plea against mediocrity, breaking with the politically correct idea that "everybody is special" (and thus nobody really is), and encouraging people to use the talents they have been given. I think this couldn't be more true. Not all people are equally talented (just compare Pixar to Dreamworks), but this is no reason to keep the talented people from not reaching their full potential just because it makes the less talented ones feel bad.

"The Incredibles", while maybe not as hilarious as I had hoped (though it's still very funny), is nonetheless an extremely entertaining movie, that manages to charm you wit its combination of great characters, lots of style, tongue-in-cheek attitude and good message. Highly recommended.

****1/2 of ***** stars
248 out of 296 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful, beautiful to watch, all in all, incredible.
Richard Brunton21 November 2004
WOW! What a movie. I can honestly say this is in my top ten movies of all time, how do Pixar continue to out do themselves at every movie release?

The Incredibles is a fantastic story, wonderfully scripted and with the most stunning animation you have ever seen, it provides a perfectly rounded story with plenty of action, laughs and (almost) tears.

Basically, this is a story of a man encountering a mid life crisis and leaping headlong into it without a care or a thought for his family, proving exceedingly selfish and failing to see the good in his life. Meanwhile the wife is left to try and look after the family. Really, that's the story. Now, what Pixar have done is drop in the idea that the parents are Superheroes, banned from being Super many years previously by the Government and the people, trying to live a normal life. Add to the mix that some of their children have inherited their own powers and that the Super villains are planning a comeback, and you have this wonderful movie.

I can't begin to convey how wonderful the animation is, it's perfect. I mean you'll always be looking at it knowing it's animation, but when the story takes you along you'll suddenly realize you're still watching animation. The subtle difference is that you forget, and there are parts (for instance when the father is cheering his son during the race) that you actually think it is real. The effects for water, fire (two of the hardest things to recreate in animation) and lava are wonderful to watch and caught me drawing a breath when I first saw them.

The characters and acting are wonderful, and you will find yourself caring about them as real people. At some points I could feel a big swallow coming up and a wavering adams apple, obviously due to the food earlier, nothing to do with the movie.

I often find that movies aren't paced well, that they either have too long or too short an introduction to the characters, or the events that lead up to the pivotal point of the movie are unbalanced against the climax, all sorts of combinations. Not here, this move is perfect and well balanced, the story takes you along just when you are ready, and there were no points where I wished we could move on, or something could happen quicker. My only frustration were at the kids, and this was only because they were behaving exactly as real kids would.

It was interesting to see the comparisons and links to other famous Superheroes through comic-lore. Definitely with nods to The Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and huge nods to The Watchmen. My only concern is that there is so much similarity to The Watchmen that those who haven't read the graphic novel will be saying "That's the Incredibles movie" when Watchmen finally comes to fruition.

The short film showing before this was wonderful in itself, and had the audience laughing out loud loads. Excellent, and once again, outdoes every short that they've produced before. Boundin' was beautifully animated and wonderfully told. Guaranteed to bring a huge big smile to your face.

All in all I think this movie is perfect and truly incredible.
339 out of 424 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite film from Pixar in over five years- Bird and company produce a triumph of a family film
MisterWhiplash5 November 2004
Writer-director Brad Bird here has something that I was caught off-guard by just a bit. I always expect Pixar films to be above-par, family entertainment, the kinds of films that can have an appeal to adults on a satirical, jab-in-the-side effect by having the characters reacting to each other as they would on a film with a higher rating, whilst giving the bright colors, action, and silliness that appeals to kids. Watching The Incredibles, their sixth feature-length offering, I wasn't so entertained and amused since their 98 film A Bug's Life, and it almost brought me back to the emotional impact I felt when in the theater for the first time getting Toy Story into my system.

It's a film that takes on a type in society that we all know well (in the past they've done toys, bugs, monsters, undersea life, and now comic book archetypes) and transforms it superbly to the imaginative computer-animated landscape. This is also in credit due to Brad Bird, who proved five years ago with his sleeper The Iron Giant that he could transcend the genre and appeal with heart and vigor for almost every age bracket.

So what little touches make The Incredibles so appealing? How it starts to deconstruct the idea of a superhero, perhaps, as well as how the family unit is shown in the usual conventions under unusual and funny circumstances. As an example, one of our heroes Mr. Incredible, a.k.a. Bob Parr (voiced wonderfully by Craig T. Nelson), goes to visit a woman who fixes and creates the uniforms of superheroes. In one scene she explains why a cape is not a good idea. This is the kind of scene that might not make it into most Hollywood movies, and would sometimes if not often be discredited as being too 'smart' for kids to get. But by appealing to a kind of level late teens and adults can relate to, it reaches a higher, far more intelligent plane. In fact, many of the best scenes in the film take on what we all know in films displaying the 'family unit' and morph it with the power and imagination of superheroes.

I won't go too much into the plot as some may already have, except to say that what makes the story in and of itself appealing is how it is a fully formed story, and doesn't try and sell itself short like other animated films (i.e. Sharktale for example). It also uses it's PG-rating perimeter wisely, and Bird and company create action sequences that are as exciting, if not more so, than in the action films that have been released this year (in fact, some of the scenes in the climax, for my money, could rival a couple of those in Spider-Man 2). By setting up the right emotional bases with the characters- Bob, his wife Elasti-girl (Holly Hunter), their kids, and with supporting characters voiced finitely by the likes of Samuel L. Jackson and Jason Lee, by the time the high-charged, internally fantasy scenes take off, they take off with great conviction and excitement.

Overall, The Incredibles is a film that is, in a way, what audiences wish they could get and rarely do- it's a film with wit and observance, a kind of video-game where the results are not as expectable as can be. Some kids may not get it as much as adults might, which is just as well, as it sometimes operates on a level like Antz did, only through the sphere of Disney. In other words, if you say the teaser trailer, which involved the out-of-shape Mr. Incredible trying with all his might to buckle his tights, you'll know what the film could bring. Personally, I can't wait to see it again.
234 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing! Brilliant! Fabulous! Wonderful! Astonishing! I'm not avoiding using a certain word!
ThePedofinderGeneral23 December 2004
The Incredibles is a great film, and probably my favourite Pixar picture (Toy Story is the best, but that's different to favourite). It takes a while to properly get into the action, but when it does, it delivers it in spades.

And that's exactly it. I would actually call The Incredibles an animated action film, because to be honest, I don't think there was enough comedy to call it an animated action comedy film. There are quite a few funny moments, but the gags don't come as fast as Finding Nemo or Toy Story.

That being said, it does have truly amazing action set-pieces, brilliant voice acting, a fabulous script, wonderful characters and the animation is simply.....well....incredible.

The music is definitely a stand-out. It actually made me smile, with it's jazzy tones and James Bond type scores.

One of the greatest things about The Incredibles is that it's not a kiddies film; it's completely different to all the other Pixar films. They bring out tommy guns in the second scene, for crying out loud! If you want to see a more adult animated film, then go see The Incredibles, and enjoy every minute. But I wouldn't bring someone younger than 4 maybe, because it isn't really aimed at them, and they probably would find it quite scary.

This is a great film, one of the best of 2004 in my opinion. If it just had a slightly higher gag rate, than this would be an absolutely perfect picture.

180 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dahling, dahling, dahling.... this movie is incredible
Mr Parker7 November 2004
I hope that this movie does really well because this has to be one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. The story is really cool and it's obvious that there is a lot of respect here for the source of superheroes, whether it be comic books, serial flicks or Saturday morning cartoons.

The movie has an undeniably cool retro feel to it and it shows not only in the design of the picture but also in the music, which definitely sounds like something out of a 60's 007 flick. It is also unusually dark, especially for a Pixar flick. I'm not saying it's dark where people are getting their heads delivered to someone in a box or family members are sleeping with each other or anything like that but there were moments where I found myself wondering if a little kid might be able to deal with the intensity of what was going on on screen. Maybe it was the fact that the heroes were in very real danger most of the time. The bad guys weren't out to catch them as much as they were out to kill them. When you discover who the film's villain is, you can literally feel his anger coming off the screen. I may be over-exaggerating a bit but then again, it really is to the film's credit that it deals with human emotions in the way that it does.

Even though you are watching a film that is populated by CGI characters, the emotions they convey in what they say and do come across as purely believable. Whether watching Bob Parr interact with people at his job or just sitting at his desk was something that rang true to me, just in the feeling of it. Everything about this movie has a very concrete feel to it, even while looking like something you'd see in a comic book. The computer graphics in general were absolutely amazing and the voice acting is excellent across the board, so good in fact, that I really can't pick a favorite from the entire cast. I have to say that Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter were very good as Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl respectively. They had a moment near the end of the film that actually touched me but you can see that for yourselves. Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious and thankfully, he wasn't overused. Dash and Violet were realized so well that every time they came up on screen, I loved every minute of it. Dash, in particular was one of the funniest characters in the movie. Jason Lee made for a formidable villain as Syndrome. I loved the fact that he was your typical antagonist but was also aware of the conventions surrounding such a role, like when he chides himself for 'monologuing'. He was also one ruthless bastard, I'll give him that. Even the bit part characters were hilarious. There was a kid on a tricycle in this movie who comes out twice and made me laugh out loud both times.

In fact, this movie reminds me of why I like Finding Nemo over Monsters, Inc. In Finding Nemo, not only are the main characters great but every other character they run into makes some kind of impression on you. Remember all the characters that Marlin and Dory ran into on their adventures together? Of course you do. Whether it was that crazy pelican with the Australian accent, Willem Dafoe as Gill, leader of the fishtank crew, or Bruce the Shark, you remember them after all is said and done and it makes the viewing experience that much richer. That's exactly how The Incredibles is. Every character that appears will make you laugh or intrigue you in some way. I have to admit that I was laughing myself throughout the entire movie, especially with the character of Edna Mode who almost steals the movie. Man, even the end credits are awesome! I have to give the director Brad Bird a big thumbs up for this one. He pulled it off and hopefully this will attract attention to his other animated film, "The Iron Giant", which was sadly overlooked when it was released and is also a really great film.

All in all, I can't recommend this movie enough. I left very satisfied and felt no need to compare this to the rest of Pixar's movies. This one is just as good if not better than any other animated movie released this year and rightfully deserves its place among the best animated movies of all time.

RATING: ***** out of *****.
303 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Truly, Pardon the Pun, Incredible Movie
Brian Washington13 November 2004
This is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen. Not only is it a fine animated film, it is a great film period. The film obviously takes its cue from several real life super hero comic books, especially The Fantastic Four and the Justice Society of America. The Fantastic Four comparison is obvious due to the fact that Elatigirl and Violet were obviously inspired by Mr. Fantastic (aka. Reed Richards) and the Invisible Woman (aka. Sue Storm Richards) respectively. The J.S.A. influence is a little more obscure. Several years ago, DC Comics issued a mini-series that attempted to explain the demise of the Justice Society by claiming that the group was forced to disband after their loyalty to America was questioned during the 1950's. In this film, all the heroes were forced into hiding after the government refused to pay for wrongful legal claims brought against the super heroes of this film. Also, there are many in jokes that the casual viewer might not get, but that made it enjoyable for comic book fans. This the island scenes look as if they could have been inspired by many of the series produced by Gerry Anderson of the 1960's (eg. the Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet).

Another thing that made this film unique was its look. If you notice, the city where the story takes place looks like a fairly modern metropolis. However, if you look at the cars in the film, most of them look as if they would have been more at home in the mid to late 1960's. Also, the way that many of the characters were dressed also could have put them in that time.

However, the thing that I really loved about this film was the fact that even though it was geared primarily to children, it was dark enough in theme to appeal to adults. In fact, there are a couple of scenes that you wouldn't normally associate with a film geared towards children.

This film is definitely a classic of animation and once again Pixar shows why they are the masters of computer animation.
123 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Incredible
Jon Ochiai19 December 2004
I finally saw Pixar/Disney's "The Incredibles" after several scheduling glitches. Writer and Director Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" is truly incredible. It is one of the best movies of the year. The CGI animation is both cutting edge and simply stunning, and like all Pixar projects it has a solid story as it's foundation. Bird uses the Superhero mythology to tell a funny and poignant story: that when we forfeit or withhold our greatness, we are not being true to ourselves, and more importantly it is a disservice to those around us. As the story begins, Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) was the superhero's Superhero. As voiced by Nelson, Mr. Incredible, is very confident, on the verge of cocky. He uses his super strength and powers for good. He marries super, Elasticgirl (Holly Hunter). However, Mr. Incredible soon falls victim like his fellow "Supers" to the plight of our litigious society-- the people they save are suing them. Instead of getting malpractice insurance (which would have been a different movie), the persecuted... and prosecuted Supers assume their secret identities in a covert government relocation program. They also promise never to use their powers again even for good.

We catch up 15 years later with Mr. Incredible, now just Bob Parr, insurance claim adjuster. He is suffering. His wife Helen, the former Elasticgirl, is busy getting settled in their new home with their kids, Violet (Sarah Vowell), Dash (Spencer Fox), and little Jack Jack. Violet and Dash have super powers, and Jack Jack is not yet toilet trained. Bob is totally frustrated by his job, and really the lie he is forced to live. Every week he and fellow Super, Lucius Best aka Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson), on their "bowling" night, listen to the police radio band so that they can save people in danger. Mild mannered life is killing Bob. He tells Helen regarding Dash's 4th grade graduation, that they keep "creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity".

One day Bob is contacted by the mysterious, Mirage (Elizabeth Pena), enlisting his super powers for an undisclosed benefactor. Bob, still super strong, no longer has the six pack abdominals. He proceeds to train and trim the waistline. He sees his suit designer, Edna 'E' Mode (Brad Bird), to fix his super suit. In a hilarious exchange, E enrolls Mr. Incredible in a new suit, sans cape. It is disclosed that the benefactor is villain, Syndrome (Jason Lee). Turns out that Mr. Incredible was the one responsible for Syndrome's genesis when he invalidated the young Syndrome 15 years ago. Thus, we have the classic Superhero tale of conflict and revenge.

What also distinguishes "The Incredibles" along with the story about reclaiming greatness, is that it is about family. In a very touching scene when Mr. Incredible is about to do battle with the seemingly invincible Omnidroid, he admits to Helen "...I'm not strong enough..." Having super powers is great. Having the love of family is truly powerful. Craig T. Nelson is perfect as Mr. Incredible. He is bold, funny, and endearingly vulnerable. Holly Hunter is solid and folksy as Helen, who also projects a quiet power. Jason Lee is at his annoying best as Syndrome. Brad Bird as 'E' steals every scene that she is in. Director Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" is amazing to look at, and also has something special and touching to say.
144 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Amazing Message Over Looked
Barbara Bolinger16 December 2004
I am tired of reading reviews about how an animated film is too violent for children, deals with mature issues like segregation or death, or is simply "too grown up" for small children. Since when did we decide to water down the truth for children, and when exactly are they old enough for certain issues, and why is it animation means it's suppose to be for children. Animation has allowed movie makers to break molds, has allowed them to do things that could not be done with regular actors or locations. We use CGI to accomplish effects we otherwise couldn't do, why is the art of illustration not considered on the same level as the art of computer graphics? I don't feel that just because something is made for children it should be dumbed down and I don't believe that an adult is too superior to watching something that is animated. Stories geared toward children such as Aesop's Fables or the fairy tales of the brothers Grimm, and Hans Christian Anderson, were told to teach life lessons; don't cry wolf, be happy with what you have and don't trust strangers. These are lessons, and stories, that were not watered down, that showed to what evil depths greed, slothfulness and envy, just to name a few, could take hold of in a person.

The Incredibles does not shy away from being real; it has an amazing message for both adults and children. The message I saw over and over again in the movie but could not find in a single review was how society was oppressing people to be no better than someone else. We seem to be headed towards embracing mediocrity, Harrison Bergeron, the short story by Kurt Vonnegut that was later turned into a film with Sean Astin, is the perfect example of someone smart being held back because it would hurt the dumb kids feelings to know there was someone better than them. The Incredible's attacks this head on, in one scene the villain Syndrome (voiced by Jason Lee), who has no real super powers but invents rocket shoes and remote controlled robots, tells Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) that he plans on killing all the truly empowered people and, using his inventions, become the only super hero until he's had his fun, at which time he will sell his inventions allowing everyone to become special "which of course means no one will be".

Mr. Incredible and his wife, Elastigirl (Holly Hunter), have three children. Daughter Violet (Sarah Vowell) can make herself invisible but only uses it to hide from a boy she likes, she's been broken down in spirit to feel like there is something horribly wrong with her and that she should be ashamed for being empowered with this amazing gift, to her it is a curse. Violet's younger brother Dash (Spencer Fox) on the other hand is angry with not being allowed to play in sports, because of his super speed, even though he promises not to show off. Their character development is some of the most in depth I've seen for "children" in a film, in part because it's real, they face death and failure and they rise above their shame and anger to become real heroes.

This movie is funny, it was honest, and it was one of the best films of the year. There is real development, there are real issues and real messages and at the end of the film I wanted to find the super hero in myself. I don't see why we should deny younger people, our children, the right to see something that is so beautiful just because of its honesty.
49 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Entertainemt For About Any Age
ccthemovieman-117 February 2008
This was somewhat of a surprise hit when it came out in 2004. Most of the attention was on a competing animated film but this is the one that turned out to be a huge box-office success. Word of mouth helped his immensely. It's what made me check it out, as several friends recommended it. I wound up agreeing with them: it's excellent entertainment.

The visuals and sound are very impressive, but it's the story that carries this film: a solid combination of humor, drama, suspense, family ties and action. The action, as in many modern-day films, was overdone in the last half hour of the movie but overall....the DVD is a good investment since people 3 to 63 should enjoy this.

As an adult, it's not always easy to keep my attention for two hours with animation but the fact this movie does, tells you how good the story is presented. There are wonderful colors in here, too, and a good 5.1 surround system with a sub-woofer would probably blow the roof off!
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Incredible
JayRobinson21 November 2004
Wow. This isn't just the best animated movie I've seen in a long time; it's one of the best movies, period. For sheer giddy enjoyment, stunning visuals, engaging characters. When the industry makes films with this much action and special-effects wizardry and a couple of big-name faces up front, they generally don't spend money on niceties like writing and character development. But Pixar, since they have something to prove with their computer-generated actors, has done the hard and loving work to infuse these cartoon characters with a humanity that most big-budget live-action movies don't match. Go see this one. Go see it for:

Visuals. There is a reality to this picture that hasn't been present in previous feature-length CG movies. Hair, foliage, rust, water-all are executed very convincingly. You know these characters aren't human beings, but it's hard to believe that they aren't somehow real.

Acting. The voice work is excellent, particularly Holly Hunter and Craig T. Nelson. The animators have done a great job capturing the subtleties of those performances in the motions of the on-screen avatars. If you saw the ill-fated Final Fantasy movie (of technical interest only, not really for the general public)-these cartoonish characters don't look as real, but they seem much more human.

Bond References. There is an secret lair in this movie the likes of which Dr. No and Blofeld could only dream. Every Bond homage is pitch perfect, and we found ourselves laughing in an otherwise quiet theatre at the wonderful invention of the production design. Hey, we're movie geeks; apparently the others weren't. This movie is worth ten bucks for the modern architecture alone.

Edna Mode. This character is the manic love child of 007's "Q" and Edith Head, and will surely be remembered as one of the great animated characters. She is voiced by the director, Brad Bird.

I know I'm not exactly going our on a limb here; the Tomatometer shows 96% as of this writing. But I wanted to see this movie again as soon as I left the theatre.

Notes: This one is for older kids and adults, as the PG rating indicates.

There are no "outtakes" in the end credits. (Anti-spoiler?)
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatly bundled pack of entertainment
George Topouria14 December 2004
Pixar has again proved that it's ethics and capabilities are inexterminable even for the tough-willed Dreamworks, which are gradually attempting to catch up on with standards. But with Pixar's new title, we once more experience a great gratifying animation which deeps you inside by it's humorous and enthralling plot and keeps you laughing out loudly until the very end. Dreamworks' titles compared to Pixars are not too peculiar, but they seem to rip all their titles from Pixar and create a fake illusion of originality. Now that Pixar has created another chef-d'oeuvre, no doubt Dreamworks will once more rip the idea and create a title relating to superheroes. 9.5/10
101 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very predictable, but very lovable at the same time
Kristine18 April 2005
Yes, I've seen this story a million times. I'm also not a very big fan of Disney and Pixar together, but this time they got me hooked. After fearing to rent this, many of my friends convinced me that I should take a look at it. So, I did and feel in love with it.

The effects, I feel like today, there are way too many fancy computer effect movies. But it works with "The Incredibles" because that's half the humor with it. There are some very reconizable voices in there that you know very well.

Is this just a kid's movie? No, it does contain some adult humor. I can see with parents taking their kids to the theater, it has to be somewhat enjoyable to adults too. So as a family or whether you have children or little relatives, I would recommend this movie for you guys. It is very enjoyable and fun to watch.

82 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Smash Hit for Pixar
nycritic22 December 2005
It's tough to be a superhero and not be allowed to manifest your prowess due to a lawsuit which has made you go into a "superhero protection program" and live the life of an Average Joe.

This is the case of Bob Parr, Mr. Incredible as he is also known. Living in marital complacency in suburbia with his wife Helen, also known as Elastigirl and his three kids, he works as a mindless office drone who needs to support his family and occasionally gets together with his buddy Lucius Best/Frozone and tries to fight small crime.

Until one day when he gets called on a special assignment in a remote location which leads him smack into the lair of a former fan, now turned arch-nemesis, Syndrome, who has an interest in destroying the world and also destroying his family.

What could have been a by-the-numbers story is enhanced by much of the "performances", or rather, the way the characters are made to interact to one another as per the screenplay. Bob and Helen are clearly in love even though their glory years as superheros (they believe) are over. Bob frets that he's become this paunchy bear of a man, Helen now has to multi-task since she is raising three children, each with a personality of their own, each with superpowers of their own.

I find it interesting to see how their kids also are given distinct personalities: Dash has the restless spark that his superpowers will require him to have and Violet is as close to channeling Lydia Dietz from Beetlejuice as possible -- shy, goth, and starting to develop her powers of invisibility and create force fields but beset by feelings of insecurity. Even Jack-Jack, the baby, has his moments, mainly caused by typical baby tantrums and in a crucial point, sheer fear. And this is where the script works: it never forgets that they are essentially kids who have these powers and would treat them as any kid would.

Brad Bird has in his hands an excellent, humanized tale of superheroes that borrows liberally from the Fantastic Four and takes it into an Ozzie and Harriet setting. He's created a movie that is tricky: while animated, it has some elements that will not be understood or suitable for children, such as Bob Parr going through his identity crisis, for example. At the same time, this is the first time that a film has broken grounds in its background animation. While the people are seen as cartoons, the locations are something else and have the look and feel of actual scenery. It's the first time water looks like water; that made me almost feel like reach out and touching the screen.

Much of the credit in establishing the characters are the voices used. Craig T. Nelson brings a beautiful masculinity to Bob Parr who would probably resemble bodybuilder Jeramy Freeman. Holly Hunter's voice makes Helen spunky, resourceful, feminist but devoted at the same time. Samuel L. Jackson brings his own star power into Lucius Best and the scenes involving his wife at a tense moment is side-splitting and cheerfully stereotypical. And what Bird himself does with his own rendition of Edith Head is nothing short of camp heaven.

In short, excellent family entertainment with a smart spin on what becomes of superheros once their fifteen minutes of fame are over.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
INCREDIBLY!!!! Creative!!
dataconflossmoor12 December 2007
This website has ranked this film to be one of the top 250 films ever made...You want to know something, I totally agree with this verdict!! This high definition surreal film by the master of animation...Walt Disney, evoked a successful culmination of cinematic brilliance on a myriad of artistic production levels!! An accomplishment like this epitomizes the term "entertaining" in it's most resounding form!! In evaluating the initial premise of this film, it compounds the dilemma of the proverbial glory days being a thing of the past!! A guy who was a football hero in his school days whereby it was routine to score four touchdowns in a game, and eventually, it fades due to a knee injury or being out of shape or something, this signifies that his best days are over!! When a former head cheerleader who was the starlight of every male's eye, who counted on her good looks, and she loses them, her best days are over as well!! So too is the case of a family of superheroes who leaped through buildings at a single bound in a vigilante crusade to capture nefarious criminals!! Ultimately, their vicarious damage to buildings and citizens meant that the municipality had to insulate itself from any further pecuniary culpability, and relocate them!! This would seemingly suggest that the Incredible's best days are behind them also!! As is the case with so many has beens, the end result winds up being a case of the breadwinner getting relegated to the monotonous plight of an inane job such as an insurance salesman. Such mediocrity reduces the Mr and Mrs to the state of being sedentary and overly mortgaged!! This movie depicts how even a family of manufactured stick people representing the world of fantasy, cannot hide from the afflictions of mid-life crises!!!! The ultimate undoing in these superhero's lives are the non-visceral elements of banality such as; indemnity forms, traffic jams and paranoid nightmares about deteriorating marital trust!! Just as someone wants to be a star football player,or a head cheerleader, all over again, these Incredibles wish to return to their exciting lives as the superheroes who took on capital crime!! Such a plot is very innovative, the writing in this dressed up doggerel of entertainment was remarkable!! This movie has a succinctly homogeneous blend of voices which induce an appropriately heinous cacophony of emotions which effectively illustrate exuberance and despair!! The sound effects were outstanding in this movie!! The cinematography in "The Incredibles" was superb!! Middle class hang-ups have been injected into teenage movies and television ever since "The Simpsons". This trademark of domestic rancor is for purposes of appealing to a broader audience range!! I found this film to be an ingenious use of satire, while mastering a digitalized analog of intelligent caricatures!! "The Incredibles" is not just a kid's film, or an overgrown adolescent's film, it is for everybody!! The family was called the Incredibles, the movie is called FANTASTIC!!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't really see what all the fuss is about
John O'Neill23 January 2010
Maybe it's because I first saw this film six years after it was made, but I can't really see why such a big thing was made of it.

I got an overwhelming feeling of "is this it?" when I saw it. That's not to say that this is a bad movie by any means, but there is nothing outstanding about it either. Of course, this could be said about a lot of films but is particular pertinent here when one considers the huge hype surrounding it when it first came out.

It is quite an enjoyable tale about superheroes being forced to hide their identities, bring up families and fitting in until one day Mr Incredible gets the chance to relive the glory days...

There are some very funny characters (Edna and Huph in particular) and most of the cast do their job well although Holly Hunter's lisp does get a little distracting after a while. Having the fifties titles and appearance is a nice touch which makes the whole film appear a little different from the norm.

Like I said before, this is a good film, although if you haven't seen it before, try to forget all the hype surrounding it when it first came out.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full speed ahead once it gets past a slow start...
Neil Doyle17 December 2010
THE INCREDIBLES is an incredibly popular Pixar computer animated action cartoon that made millions at the box office because it's an entertaining and funny romp about a family of super-incredible heroes.

Audiences can relate because the heads of the family (Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl--voiced by Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter) really want to settle down and have normal lives in suburbia without having to resort to their superpowers to save the world.

But boredom creeps into their lives and the message of the film seems to be, if you have a gift use it. After years of suppressing his gift, Mr. Incredible gets lured into active service again and then the film really gets going.

Once the film shifts into action mode, there's an incredible amount of things to watch as the scenes go speeding by relentlessly in search of a new adventure at every turn. And when Mr. Incredible's family joins the search for his whereabouts when he's captured by his nemesis, the film lurches forward with even greater speed.

Apparently, audiences reacted very enthusiastically to this sort of crime caper action cartoon, animated in great style by Pixar. If you enjoy watching comic book heroes do their thing, you won't be disappointed in "The Incredibles."

Of course, it goes against the theory that the Disney studios kept in mind when making the first feature-length cartoon, afraid that too bright colors and too much fast action would give moviegoers a headache for a feature-length cartoon. "The Incredibles" defies that theory at every turn.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Puts the "in" credible.
dunmore_ego24 June 2007
In every review of *The Incredibles*, it has become a refrain: "This movie could have worked as well in real life." Big Bob Parr (voice of Craig T. Nelson) is a cone-shaped mountain of a guy, an ex-superhero doing time as a layperson in a world gone small – from his office cubicle to his aspirations. Married to superheroine, Elastigirl (voice of Holly Hunter), like every husband, he sneaks out at night occasionally to hang with the boys – in Bob's case, to fight crime as Mr. Incredible with his former teammate, Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson).

Bob's two kids have inherited superpowers as well: son, Dash, super speed and daughter, Violet, telepathy and invisibility (think Phoenix from the X-Men). (A discussion on how the genetic combination of super-strength and elasticity in the parents would yield super-speed and invisibility in the offspring would get us nowhere.) This 3D-animation marvel is separated from its peers by its thematic thunder - sure, it gives us the usual "familial values," but digs deeper by making the characters smart enough to ponder their roles as super beings in a mediocre world. The parents know that provincialism denotes they must keep their powers/identities hidden and their children sheltered, but the kids don't understand why, raising Socratic questions about herd mentality and the conundrum of being "created equal" yet more gifted. Mom tells Dash, "Everyone's special" (which is its own special form of condescension) and Dash, instead of taking it like a Disney knockout punch – as most kids in these "family" movies are inculcated to accept – retorts (quite logically), "Which is another way of saying that nobody is."

And when the action comes, it delivers in ways that even some live-action superhero movies do not. And by this I mean, the whole group uses their powers efficiently and intelligently, working together to combat their threats, rather than getting taken down by some inane plot point which they could have easily escaped simply by being themselves.

And of course, there is the mandatory Group Hero Pose, perfected so gaily by N'Sync during their two-month heyday. (Apologies to my more sensitive readers for using the "N-word.") Jason Lee voices the villain, Syndrome, whom the family team must combat to Save The Day.

Written and directed by Brad Bird (who does triple duty as Edna Mode, a fashion designer for the hero-conscious), the humor is wit, rather than slapstick, the heroism is moral rather than muscle-bound and the whole outlook is adult rather than kiddie - *The Incredibles* is as real a movie as a cartoon gets.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible in every sense of it!
badidosh25 July 2005
"The Incredibles" is by far and away the most mature and engaging Pixar film to date.

This movie is nothing less than a display of sheer brilliance to an utmost prestigious level that proves the genius in director Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant"). From the perfectly created characters to the witty and humorous dialog involved, "The Incredibles" is the ideal film for true fans of the animation and/or comic book genre. It doesn't fail to provide viewers of with a fragment of every genre; incredible animation, action, and even a bit of drama.

However, the aspect most evident in "The Incredibles" that was frequently credited for the success of its predecessors was the emotional aspect. The thesis on midlife crossroads on personal and professional dilemmas was well presented.

Bob Parr (Craig T. Nelson) seems an average guy who works in an insurance agency, and lives a "normal" mediocre life with his wife Helen and three kids: Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. But there's more to it, actually. Bob used to be Mr. Incredible, and Helen was Elastigirl (Holly Hunter), two of the world's greatest crime fighters until a series of lawsuits have forced superheroes to adopt civilian identities. But when Bob receives a mysterious call that has him for a top secret assignment, he sees this as an opportunity to be Mr. Incredible again. He accepts the mission but soon discovers that it is a trap of a nemesis from way back, and the whole family eventually has to to join him to fight evil and save the world.

What we have here is something that unfortunately becoming quite a rare thing nowadays: an example of a truly brilliant animation. As I have said, not only does it have some of the most phenomenal computer graphics and action sequences ever committed to film, but like all the best movies it also has the heart to support the movie between the adrenaline-pumping moments.

The main reason for this is the great characterization. "The Incredibles" may contain a little too much of violence that may be better suited for older children than the younger ones. Yet one cannot easily discount the family themes and comic episodes, with characters like superhero-costume designer Edna (voiced by Bird) and Bob's friend Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) providing ample support.

Another is that the film, as is with previous Pixar films, is effective in the use of computer generated images (CGI) which is a major plus for moviegoers. The details in which the animators for the film present are awe-inspiring and breathtaking. The music also pasted itself impeccably with the atmosphere Bird has created for the film. Very retro.

It is a demonstration of precision and excellence, created by the brilliance and meticulous mannerisms of the director. It goes beyond an animated movie and is without a doubt one of the best animations of all time. It is truly incredible to see a film like this.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serious original fun! A family film in every sense of the word
mstomaso17 April 2005
The Incredibles is a simple and slightly formulaic comic book-style animated Disney/Pixar feature with a great big heart. I just experienced this film for the second time, and though I didn't really catch anything new, or achieve a different perspective, I was certainly as entertained as I was in the theater the first time.

The Incredibles are the family of Mr. Incredible and Elasti-girl, living in a nightmare future where superheroes have been sued and regulated to the point that they are either forced underground or into protection programs complete with assumed identities and mediocre jobs. Mr. Incredible himself is invincibly physically strong, but emotionally drained by the uselessness of his new life as an insurance claim examiner, and his depression is so complete that he feels as if he is detaching from all that he loves. The children are "Dash" - a miniature Flash clone, "Violet" - who has all of the basics of Sue Richards, The Fantastic Four's Invisible Girl, and infant Jack Jack - about whom little can be said. Eventually, the entire family gets swept up into a crisis of vast proportion as a forgotten piece of Mr. Incredible's past comes back to threaten the very world which has rejected them all.

The film really does derive a lot of its archetypal character points from Marvel's classic Fantastic Four, but adds brilliant humor, a very positive message, and some voice work which really is nothing less than Incredible. I was especially impressed by Sarah Vowell's Violet. The voice talent in general, however, is exceptionally good, and the supporting cast doesn't slip a centimeter. Brad Bird's Edna is also a memorable stand-out.

Visually, the film is as good as any of the recent animated features most movie fans have enjoyed, though perhaps slightly less inventive and a bit less pretentious. I guess I would have to say that it's also my favorite, with Finding Nemo running a close second.

This would be a great film to see with your kids. It's clean, fun, and yet serious enough to engage even the most angst-ridden teenager. It also contains some very positive messages about the value and meaning of heroism, family, and 'sticking together' through the worst and the best of times.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's most "epic" animated film since "Toy Story."
MovieAddict201626 April 2005
Although "The Incredibles" is not the best film Pixar has released (via Disney) since 1995's "Toy Story," I felt it is the most epic. When I went to go see "Toy Story" in 1995, the epic scale of the picture -- the non-stop frantic pace, the action sequences, etc. -- were all so breathtaking that it contained the same tour de force attitude as, believe it or not, a blockbuster such as "Terminator 2": a crowd-pleasing, overwhelming picture.

"Monsters, Inc." wasn't quite as epic. It was a great movie, just as good as "Toy Story," but it didn't have the same style per se. "Finding Nemo" was very good as well but still didn't capture the same epic scale as "Toy Story." (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just different.) "The Incredibles" seemed to. I saw it on DVD and from beginning to end the action is non-stop, the laughs aplenty, and the exotic locations and action-hero references continuous. For this reason, somehow, it reminded me very much of "Toy Story." It seemed like older Pixar, rather than some of their newer stuff (all of which is great as well). Pixar has yet to make a bad movie. Even their worst -- "A Bug's Life" -- was better than most animated films.

"The Incredibles" also returns to the spoof roots of "Monsters, Inc." and "Toy Story" (something "Finding Nemo" did but not as often) -- it parodies cultural references. (Something hard to do in an underwater sea adventure.) Although this is a family film, it is NOT a "children's film." That is evident from the beginning when the fake news reel in "The Incredibles" features articles about a suicidal man suing superheroes because he "didn't want to be saved." This is clearly a tongue-in-cheek criticism of the shameless legal standards of the day. (Such as the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was too hot. A true story!) Another film might not be clever enough to integrate iconic cultural references into itself but "The Incredibles" does.

Similarly, using superheroes, Pixar examines the at-home relationship of a family and spoofs our own rituals. (Such as eating at the dinner table -- the mom tries to stop the squabbling kids just like we do, only because she has superpowers, it's a bit... different.) All in all "The Incredibles" really is a great animated film. I enjoyed it more than "Finding Nemo" (which I didn't expect to as I loved "Nemo") and just as much as "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc." Pixar has solidified a new style of family film-making -- the cultural parody animated film -- and the evidence of this can be seen in such take-offs of the formula as "Shrek" and "Shark Tale" (which featured many cultural references as well).

All in all "The Incredibles" is incredibly fun. And funny.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An overpraised but credible pastiche
drifteru5 November 2004
Most Pixar films get good reviews from the critics, but they seem to be falling all over themselves for THE INCREDIBLES. I'm not sure why.

First off, the film strikes me as a pastiche of the Saturday morning cartoons I grew up watching, like THE FANTASTIC FOUR and JONNY QUEST, with a little James Bond thrown in. As such, it seems designed to appeal most to 10- to 14-year-old boys, a group that may be reluctant to go to an animated movie; witness the anemic box office of TITAN A.E. or TREASURE PLANET for proof.

By and large, the story is played straight. There are a few laughs scattered here and there, but the tone is nothing like the mixture of humor and pathos Pixar established for the medium with TOY STORY and Dreamworks exaggerated ad nauseam in SHREK 2.

Perhaps that's what the critics find appealing. THE INCREDIBLES is certainly not like any other animated film I've seen; at times, it's easy to forget that it *is* animated. Some of that is due to the ever-growing artistry of the Pixar team, which often makes you feel like you're watching a comic book/video game come to life.

But as solid as the movie is -- and except for a slow start, I was not bored -- for me, it's missing that little bit of magic to take it to the next level, where millions have found Shrek and Nemo.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar is Invincible
tedg7 November 2004
Spoilers herein.

All movies are about other movies. Most simply quote them, and most of these are bad. Some are very clever quoters, like Tarantino. But still mere quoters. A few weeks ago, I saw 'Van Helsing' which impressed the daylights out of me. It was all about transmutation at many levels including transmuting itself through several other movie identities.

Meanwhile, I've been impressed by Pixar for other reasons. They've always been the leaders in folding and introspective dimensionality. Their logo even shows it: an illuminator jumps on the 'i', replaces it, looks around and then looks directly at you.

In this film, their introspective experiments extend to quoting other films. But instead of the simple shopkeeping of Tarantino, we have appearances of other films but instead of being quoted they are re-imagined. Each transmutation is better than the original: This is better Bond than Bond, better Spy Kids than Spy Kids, better family drama than any recent experience. Better through-the-trees chase than Star Wars. Much, much better than 'Spiderman' and its ilk because it really understands pacing and manages ever-more unseen camera swoops.

And it does everything it does with familiar images. For instance, the scene where Bob smacks his boss through several walls and he ends up wrapped in bandages and in traction is a collection of classic images from old cartoons, starting with the big guy grabbing the little guy. Except you don't notice that the big guy is the good guy. Never happens in the classics.

There are two interesting folds here: the one that folds many movies genres as we mentioned and the one that conflates the folds of reality. Here's how this works: Usually there are two layers of a folded movie: the movie and some more abstract story within the movie. Spoofs depend on you knowing the layers, even if a layer isn't shown. So 'Austin Powers' has the intermediate level of Bond, even though it doesn't have an explicit segment that exists in the world of Bond.

Ted's law says the folding distance must be equal, so the abstraction between the real world and that of Bond is exactly the same as that between Powers and Bond, extra cartoonishness if you wish.

This Pixar project has two levels squashed into the same world. One level is the very realistically abstracted story between Bob and Helen. This isn't very cartoonish at all compared the regular world of cartoons. Then you have the superhero world which Bob and later Helen dive into; this is the most extremely abstract world of cartoons. Three levels, us, Bob and Helen as people (and they seem more real in this mode than most 'real' characters) and Bob and Helen and kids as superheros.

The novelty of the fold is that these are squashed together as if there is no distance. That (plus some very human-like camera angles and the 'interview' footage at the beginning) squashes the world of the viewer into what we see. Its the kind of brilliant novelty that can only be done by close students of the art.

A side comment that follows: the standard Disney cartoon has to have an obvious moral. Parents enthusiastically use this as a sad excuse for parenting. This film puts the moral in the spoof level. That means, folks, that it is equating it to the mediocre fictions Bob berates at the beginning. To distract the dopes in the audience, they do damage control by splicing an 'ordinary' moralistic dippy thing at the beginning.

The real moral is that most movie houses have 'insurance:' they test their films into mediocrity. Pixar does no testing. They figure it out and trust their geniuses. Along the way, they take two heavy hits in the story at insurance companies who literally put superstars out of business, and incidentally steal from the worthy.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slick Flick – The Incredibles
karthik-globalsoul27 June 2007
(Karthik Narayan) When I saw this movie rated quite high on the movie websites, I wondered why an animated picture could be given high preference as an all-time great movie. That inquisitiveness made me watch this movie more than anything else. But after watching it, I staunchly recommend it to everyone who likes classic comedy, super hero clashes and a down to earth storyline that anyone can associate themselves with.

Action super hero movies have come in aplenty, mostly taken over from comics. This movie isn't the proverbial average Super-hero (oh boy, what an oxymoron). A superhero family who try to live a common man's life and suffer the consequences and the pang of not being able to save the world in time. Instead they are at home reading the newspapers, listening to the radio which alerts the world against danger which is bound to happen anyway.

The family of Mr.Incredible is secluded away from the rest of the action simply because the Government wanted them to stay away from daily life; The Government poking its nose into the common man's world, so what's new about that, you might ask. Mr.Incredible isn't able to judge what is right – to save the city against the dangers or to save his family against the dangers of the city (read people). The moral of the story is trouble is always by the people and for the people. For without people, there is no trouble.

In their quest to save themselves against the world, the Superheroes succumb to the temptation to save the world against the real lurking dangers that were carelessly ignored. This causes them to throw all caution to the wind and take on the dangers that were more impeding and important. Along the way, the family unites as a team and the children learn a valuable lesson in confidence and self defense mechanisms to take on the world.

The villainous fan is outrageous, the practicality of a superhero living a human life is well said and the Super powers are quite staggering – especially that of the children.

The theme is superb; the comic way in which the story is woven is marvelous and overall, incredible indeed! This movie is honey spread on a plate waiting to be tasted. Don't forget to take the toasted bread with you as you move on to relish it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Semi-Fantastic Four.
tfrizzell15 November 2004
Superheroes have to go into hiding ala the witness protection program after civilians start to take advantage by suing the gifted ones in crazed lawsuits. Now all superheroes must live as their alter egos in a world where having special powers is frowned upon all of a sudden. The patriarch of the titled family though becomes the target of a deviant individual who was once his biggest fan. Thus it is up to his family to save him so the group can save the world once more. "The Incredibles" is strong with its animation, but honestly the story is hit-and-miss. Hanna and Barbara-styled ideas from the 1960s and 1970s mix with that dark comic book look that was so prevalent in the 1930s and 1940s to form a long (and I do mean long) cartoon that suffers an identity crisis with its tone and pace. The characters have their moments, but most are not as interesting as they look. Director Brad Bird has crafted a film that definitely has more upside than down because of its glossy look and hot visuals. However, I still think that a little more time could have been spent on the script and on the movie's potential uniqueness. Unfortunately, "The Incredibles" really pales to most recent computer generated productions. 4 stars out of 5.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.