The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) Poster

A really Grand Day Out – and A Close Ten!
Mollari10 September 2005
I saw it at a German press screening. Without giving too much away: Most critics really seemed to like it very much. There was even applause afterwards, which is quite unusual for that species. From my point of view and until now, it was the funniest movie of the year. It keeps the charm and wit of the three W+G shorts and it is enlarged with many references to these and other movies. Of course, there are obvious allusions to monster- and werewolf-movies, especially to "An American Werewolf in London", "Jaws", "King Kong" and even to Peter Jackson's "Braindead"/"Dead Alive", but also to other genres.

Characterization was better done in "Chicken Run", but that movie had a complete new "cast" where introduction was necessary. Here, you are already able to know the two main characters. So, the new "Wallace and Gromit"-movie is enjoyed best if you watched (and liked) the shorts already, yet it also works on its own. "Chicken Run" had the more convenient, but also more "storytelling" plot. Instead, this new Aardman masterpiece keeps that crazier and somehow more "isolated" feeling of the W+G shorts. Children should also enjoy it very much, especially because of the sweet rabbits (if you love cute bunnies, this is a must-see for you!!!) and because Gromit has a lot do to and really steals the show (children also love dogs... :-) ). But many jokes are thought for a more adult audience (there are even soft sexual allusions in it). The movie manages, like "Shrek 1+2" and "The Incredibles", to fulfil high level entertainment for the whole family, with adding a British and at least a little bit darker edge to the humour of American animated movies.

The animation is – as expected – superb, and they kept true to the Aardman style because they didn't put in too many digital effects - I realized just a few when it came to Wallace's inventions.

Finally, the score works fine in the movie, although one of the main themes definitely is "borrowed" by Randy Edelman's "Dragonheart" score.

The bad thing is: It will probably take another six years from now until we can see a new animated gem from Nick Park & Co.
153 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cracking!!!
mcgloud10 September 2005
Being a "Wallace and Gromit-fan", I was looking forward for this full-length movie. Surprisingly I saw it at THE world-premiere in Vlissingen (NL), at the Film by the Sea festival. A wonderful feeling to be one of the first to see this very amusing and merry movie. It's about Wallace and Gromit (whom I believe don't need an introduction) having their own pest-control company in the city which is hosting a giant-vegetable contest in a few days. Everyone, including an eccentric baroness, is hoping his or her giant carrot or melon will win the Golden carrot. Unfortunately the town is plagued by lots of hungry rabbits. This is where W&G come in. The have their own cracking contraptions to control these cute creatures in a human way.

It's a very funny and colorful story. Anyone who liked the three proceeding short movies of W&G (which are more than great!), will love this full-length movie. Nick Park really delivered a wonderful and original result with a great sense for humor. Like in Chicken Run, it truly amazes me how he can capture so much story and emotions in just a few frames. "Job well done, lad" ;-) Oh yeah: The music was fantastic! It really completes the ride. Enjoy!
148 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun for the whole family
Jozxyqk9 September 2005
This first (and hopefully not last) Wallace & Gromit feature lives up to expectations. There are plenty of jokes (some a bit cheeky) as well as some great tributes to past Science Fiction movies. With the barrage of awful and formulaic movies being spewed forth from Hollywood it's great to see such a great film like this that's enjoyable for almost everyone. If there is any justice it will be top of the box-office and be at least nominated for best animation at the next Oscars. The animation is wonderful; the characters are remarkably expressive and their adventures are great fun. This is one of those films that the whole family can enjoy. Charming, clever, fun and well made, what's not to enjoy?
120 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Grand movie, and a Very Close Shave to perfection, Curse of the Were-Rabbit is totally entertaining from start to finish
diac22810 October 2005
Wallace and Gromit are the main characters in some of the best cartoons ever crafted. The excellent mix of visual humor and claymation makes "A Grand Day Out," "The Wrong Trousers," and also "A Close Shave" some of the best animated footage ever put on television. Winning several Oscars and also countless other awards, Nick Park became quite the popular man in the U.K., yet his impact on the United States has not been big. After the third Wallace and Gromit short, there was all this speculation about a full-length Wallace and Gromit movie, yet for years nothing had happened. Then in 2000 instead of a full-length Wallace and Gromit film, we get another brilliant claymation film from Nick Park, which was Chicken Run, which almost got nominated for best picture in the Academy Awards. Perhaps it was the success of this film that ultimately drove Park to finally work on a Wallace and Gromit project.

5 years later (these kinds of films do take long you know) and a lot of anticipation, Wallace and Gromit finally hits the big screen. Despite the rather weak trailers and marketing campaign, this movie delivers in so many ways. This film will be a delight for both kids and parents. With tons of adult humor hidden beneath the brilliant animation, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit is one of the few films that perfectly manages to equally appeal to both kids and adults. This rather difficult technique is one that only Pixar has already perfected and DreamWorks has had a lot of trouble doing lately. Despite the DreamWorks logo slapped onto the poster, this film is mainly from the very creative staff of Aardman Animations.

Wallace and Gromit are first seen running a business that protects the townspeople's crops from being ruined by rabbits, which apparently had been running around wild and in great numbers lately. Their business has gotten them plenty of respect from the others living in the town because a gigantic vegetable contest was rapidly approaching and the crops needed protection. Complications arise when Wallace attempts to manipulate the rabbits into not liking vegetables and then a great eating machine is unleashed on the area. It is up to Wallace and Gromit to find the gigantic animal and stop it from eating away through gardens and also their approval from the townspeople. To add to that, Wallace wants to impress Lady Tottington, which also captured the attention of a snobby suitor by the name of Victor. Simple plot yes, but there is more than meets the eye, be prepared for a few fun surprises along the way, kind of like in the other Wallace and Gromit cartoons.

In animated films with little dialogue, it is the animation that has to set the pacing and the mood of the film. Despite requiring 5 years to produce only 85 minutes of footage, the payoff is fantastic. There is a massive amount of detail that requires more than one viewing to truly notice. Even more incredible than the detailed and nearly flawless animation is the truly unspeakable amount of visual humor put into the film. Whether it is a creatively placed shot or normal labels put into the funniest position possible, or it is the oh-so-adorable rabbits that is constantly shown in the film, most Curse of the Were-Rabbit's humor comes strictly from just watching the movie itself and catching all the references before it is too late. Just picture the movie Madagascar, except funnier much fewer pop culture references, and better animation.

Casting was great, even though in a film with not much dialogue, it was not that important. Peter Sallis yet again does a wonderful job as Wallace, even though in this movie there was no stand-out quote that can be used anytime (The Wrong Trousers: "It's the wrong trousers Gromit, and they've gone wrong!"). Ralph Fiennes does a superb job as the lead villain Victor and also Helena Bonham Carter (known as the crazy female lead in the cult hit "Fight Club") lends her lovely voice as she plays Wallace's love interest. Even though nothing could top the final chase in "The Wrong Trousers," Curse of the Ware-Rabbit did have plenty of action scenes, including one fantastically done chase scene between Gromit and Victor's evil dog. Last but not least, the rabbits really steal the show at some moments. Whether it is their cute expressions, their funny movements, or their howling, the rabbits in the film even take some of the glory from the main stars. The funniest rabbit in the movie is the "cursed" rabbit himself, to the very end of the movie he had the audience rolling in laughter.

Bottom Line: Despite not being as memorable as "The Wrong Trousers", this film is just as good and entertaining as Chicken Run. Unlike almost every movie to come out this year, the movie does not drag at all, clocking in at a short 85 minutes yet containing so much joy and fun, it will leave everyone watching it asking for more. There is very little wrong with the film; it was a pure delight to watch. This film is a total contrast of the decent yet vulgar, uncut, raw movies that have made a surprising amount of money earlier this year (40-Year-Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers, and Sin City) and for families and those who want harmless entertainment; that is a good thing. Highly recommend, this is the top animated movie to come out this year and among the best we have seen this decade. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit: totally harmless fun from second 1 to second 5,100.
93 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent entertainment, superb characters and great detail
Richard Brunton23 October 2005
There are a few aspects to Park's movies, and in particular Wallace & Gromit, that I would say make them so great. The first is subtlety and observation, the flagship of which is the character of Gromit. He doesn't speak, he doesn't make any noise, all he has are his eyes, brow, and body posture, and with these he commands the film. Park manages to give us everything we need from this silent character through his expression. The comedy and the emotion is conveyed through the subtlest of movements and it works superbly well.

Watching the movie you have to be aware of the entire screen. Normally you'll be guided to things in the movies, the screen won't be cluttered too much, there won't be many things to take your eyes away from the main clue or action. Park seems to need to look the other way with his movies. He throws extra content at his audience, there's action in the background, to the side of the screen, even off screen, and there's just about always something in the foreground to catch your eye. His movies are about multiple viewing and discovery, they're layered with jokes and ancillary action.

Throughout this film there are layers of things happening on screen, jokes in the foreground maybe on a jar label and background shadows that give away action. You can imagine that for Park the movies has always been an event, and the movies he loves are ones which he wants to watch again and again. This is what shows in his movies, and in through his most beloved characters.

Then there are the bizarre and wacky inventions which Wallace make, something which is reflected in the storyline and the twists and turns of the plot, everything is bizarre and off the wall, yet it seems so perfectly normal in this world. You can imagine that inside Park is the mind of Wallace.

There's also one more thing that make these movies so unique, and that's the modelling and precise hand animation. I must admit I was concerned when I knew Dreamworks was involved in the making of this movie, and I thought that they would bring their computer animation experience to the forefront. What I was scared of was Wallace & Gromit becoming CGI entities, or at the smallest, CGI being used to clean up the feel that the modelling brought to the movie.

Not so. You can still see thumbprints and toolmarks on the characters, and far from distracting from the movie, this just adds so much real feeling to it and a feeling of physical depth to the characters and the scene on screen.

So what of the movie? Well I must say that the plot twist was something I had thought about well before the film was in the cinema and it came as no surprise, but that did not affect my enjoyment one little bit. Actually watching the twist unfold and the comic timing of the discovery and reactions was everything, and it had me just as sucked in as if it was a thriller, yet all the time I was laughing.

Watching the movie was fascinating in various ways. To see the animation completed, how wild the inventions are, how Wallace is going to get into trouble and Gromit get him out, where all the cross references are in the movie, and where all the jokes are! I must admit afterwards talking with my friends I couldn't believe how much I had missed.

There's something different in this movie than with the others, there's a new level of adult humour in here, and I don't mean rude jokes (although there are a couple that are just so British you can't help laughing), I mean jokes that simply fly over kids heads but slap adults in the face. The kind you are used to seeing come out of somewhere like Pixar. This just adds even more appeal to the movie.

Okay though, let me try and be a bit negative here. I didn't notice the voices in this movie, you know how you usually listen to the actors and see if you can recognise them? Well I was just too wrapped up in the movie to care or to notice who they were...okay, that's not negative. Let me try again. The main plot wasn't as strong and gripping as I'd expected, and I found myself being caught up in the side stories and the characters themselves...again...that's not a bad thing, the film was just so much rich entertainment.

I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about this movie, probably the worst thing I could say is that the title sequence at the end is quite repetitive...until the final title! Really, that's the worst I can say.

The story is a lot of fun, well set-up, well written, well executed. There's lot's of fantastic characters in here, not just Wallace & Gromit. There's so much happening on screen, so many references and jokes (check out the dresses of Lady Tottingham), cheese jokes everywhere, jokes for all the family. The characters are superbly absorbing and you'll find that you've taken to them before you realise. There's just so much in this movie for everyone.

There's so much I could say and write about, but I know it will quickly turn into a backslapping exercise for Park and Aardman, it would also just turn into a series of "this bit was really funny" and "there's a bit when...", and what I would rather do is tell you that this is a superb movie, to go see it, and to experience the whole thing for yourselves. I will say though that the bunnies are excellent!
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than Chicken Run
chickpeas_are_good7 September 2005
A very enjoyable film. You can see there's much more subtlety in the characters with regard to facial expressions. The voice actors did a great job, and there are some great gags, some of which are not for children, but are not overt in their adult-ness. Much more empathy for the characters in this film than in Chicken Run. Fortunately, the film is still wonderfully British, so has not suffered from Dreamworks' influence on the production. It is also good to see something hand-crafted on the big screen instead of the raft of CG animated films that usually lack a strength of script; that you could see fingerprints in the plasticine in no way detracted from the quality of the production.
86 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm "Crackers" about this "Grand" movie!!!!
beccad9023 October 2005
When Wallace and Gromit burst onto the scene in their academy award winning short, "A Grand Day Out," they created a fresh new look at claymation. After two more shorts, Aardman's dynamic duo returned for this thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining movie. It has an excellent Voice cast, humorous jokes and good animation as only Aardman could do!

In this movie, Wallace and Gromit run "Anti-Pesto," a rabbit removal company. When word gets out about a "Were-Rabbit" eating all the vegetables in town, a frenzy ensues. Of course, Victor Quartermaine, the town's handsome, toupee-brandishing huntsman, wants to get his hands on the rabbit to impress the lovely Lady Tottington...but can our favorite Aardman duo save the day before chaos ensues?

The jokes, I should say, were hilarious. One point, the villain, Victor Quartermaine's, booty-crack was showing, prompting a character to cry out: "BEWARE...THE MOON!!!" Vintage Aardman!

The characters are crisp and hilarious. Our favorite Aardman team of Man and Dog entertains us as only they could do, earning them their second Oscar (remember "A Grand Day Out?"). Helena Bonham Carter was terrific as the lovely Lady Tottington, Wallace's love interest. Ralph Fiennes was especially funny and foreboding as the cunning, toupee wearing hunter Victor Quartermaine. But the one who really stole the show was the priest, whose antics proved to be some hilarious comic relief.

Hats off to Aardman for creating another Wallace and Gromit masterpiece!
55 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I didn't know what i was expecting from this movie. A stupid movie?
oldman00731 January 2006
I really refused to see this movie. I refused to go with the school and I refused to go with my parents. Just by looking at the trailer it looked stupid, to me anyway. One of my friends wanted to take me to the movies that day and he offered me 2 choices, "The Dukes Of Hazzard" or "Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit." It took me 17 minutes to decide. Time was running out. I had to choose. It came up on the screen "Few" as in a few tickets left. By the time we had to line up and get our ticket, only one of us could go in. I desperately wanted Nicholas to go in to see it. But he forced me. I crossed my arms and was very moody and disappointed that I was going in to see this childishness. I walked in, sat in the only seat that was available and prepared for the movie! must say I was very surprised that I sat through that MASTERPIECE! It was amazing. I don't know what I was complaining about. The Clay Animation was by far the most best i've ever seen in my life. The story was brilliant. About a rabbit disrupting and crashing a carnival that had been planned for over 500 years. Basically Anti Pest Control are protecting the people who are competing in the Vegetable Competition. Anti Pesto known as Wallace And Gromit (Who are in charge of this business) try to keep all the rabbits away from the Vegetable carnival. I wont say anymore. It's just too good to tell. I'll admit that the whole idea of a Were-Rabbit is ab-it unbelievable and ab-it childish, but Nick Park adds substance to it which what makes everyone love it. I mean, there wont be a 10 foot rabbit on the loose and there definitely wont be 8 foot werewolves as said in " Dog Soldiers." Then again, Were-Rabbits and WereWolves aren't actual creatures. But either way, it worked out very well.

The jokes also were more grown up. The kids wont get some of the jokes. It goes way above their heads. It had a lot of British jokes in there. If you love British humor, this is the movie for you.

I also loved the cast and the voices. Everything about the movie is so incredibly well done. The direction and pacing was absolutely...FANTASTIC! I recommend this to fans of the old Wallace And Gromit shorts (And no, I haven't seen them yet), and I recommend it to fans who liked "Shrek" and "Shrek 2 and most importantly, I recommend it to the people who love Clay Animation. Cracking good movie! 10/10
52 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic Feats of Clay: Wallace & Gromit Save the Day! Crackin' Good Entertainment!
george.schmidt10 October 2005
WALLACE & GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT (2005) **** (Voices: Peter Salis, Ralph Fiennes Helena Bonham Carter)

Nick Park, the creator of the animated team of Wallace & Gromit, is a genius. His painstaking art in the form of Plasitcine claymation is a unique process involving literally thousands of hours (it takes roughly an 8 hour work day to contribute 3 minutes of action to a film; this foray into feature length storytelling took 5 years!) in making his lovable master & loyal dog team take form is finally on the big screen in the duo's first full-length motion picture and it's cracklin' good (to coin a phrase from Wallace's usual reply to all things good!)

Park, who co-directed with Steve Box and co-wrote with Mark Burton and Bob Baker, sends up the horror genre in this rollickingly funny and swift paced action comedy with the geeky inventive Wallace (voiced by British vet thespian Salis) and his mute yet loyal (and sharper-minded) mutt Gromit (all furrowing eyebrows and mouth-less insouciance) have devised a service to their community: pest control ("Anti-Pesto" as they are known) for the upcoming Giant Vegetable Festival that has the entire town in the mood for all things vegetative a gigante and the biggest pesk are troublesome rabbits eating the crunchy goods. Wallace's inventive mind has created a vacuum container that is quick, efficient, and more importantly harmless to the cute vermin that plague the estate of Lady Campanula Tottington (voiced by Bonham Carter, making a fast-break to be the first lady of stop-motion animation what with her earlier turn in "Corpse Bride" a few weeks ago), who is housing the competition and is a love interest for the nerdy Wallace.

The only fly-in-the-ointment is vainglorious, bombastic loud-mouth and jerk Victor Quartermaine (voiced by Fiennes, his first attempt in the animated arts coming across as a Patrick Stewart lunged braggard with hilarious results), a badly toupeed wearing macho moron who is plotting to marry Lady Tottington for her riches while he is a chief competitor to W&G's humane attempts by resorting to his trusty guns and nasty bulldog.

To add insult to injury the duo are facing a terrible plight in the form of a huge were-rabbit (the titular monster a nice nod to both Universal and Hammer horror flicks) that is terrorizing the village and devouring every veggie in sight. The two set out to trap and dispose of the creature but there is more than meets the eye as things progress.

Relentlessly funny and with such amazing elastic, and kinetic energy to his wonderful clay counterparts, Park and Box have created a truly magical and highly entertaining film with so much amazingly detailed production design to their little world that it may take more than one screening to absorb just how much effort in their blood, sweat and tears have gone into making this instant classic for children of all ages.

Wallace, the cheese loving balding inventor, could easily be Homer Simpson's UK cousin with his rotund body and constant knack for getting things wrong while attempting to do the right thing; his heart is in the right place but his head is in the clouds. His sweet crush for Lady Tottington (resembling a pre-plastic surgery Carol Burnett) who is a head taller than our hero will perhaps remind those of their first unrequited love with a smile of awkward admission. His Rube Goldberg-like gift for making the complicated into ease is inspired lunacy that fans will recall from the earlier shorter films "The Wrong Trousers", "A Close Shave" and "A Grand Day Out".

But it is in my opinion the wise, silent and long-suffering Gromit, his poached egg eyes of slow-burns and disbelief at what is transpiring, is one of the best animated characters ever created with such an amazing arsenal of exasperated, mouthless expressions and subtle nuances that most live-action actors would kill to accomplish in the attempt of conveying dismay, concern, grief, genuine surprise and relief. His final chase – a signature of the immensely popular comic team – is ingeniously set and quickly improvised especially his literal dog-fight with the equally soundless bulldog with tenacity, wit and a Chuck Jones fueled smartness that would have Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger green with envy.

Wallace and Gromit match the best of Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello and any other classic comedy team that comes to mind; here's hoping their longevity continues on screen for just as long as their predecessors. The waiting is most eager.
51 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something wicked this way hops.
Jessica Carvalho8 April 2006
''Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit'' is the same type of animation and from the same creators of ''Chicken run'', but the story now is other: Wallace, a inventor who loves cheese and his smart dog Gromit who is always helping Wallace in his problems,are trying to keep the rabbits away from everybody's vegetables,since there is in their town, an annual Giant Vegetable Competition. But when Wallace tries an invention he did, to make the rabbits avoids vegetable, the one who is going to be cursed is him. Before watching this movie I didn't knew that these two characters already existed and were famous.I loved Gromit, and I think he is one of the coolest dogs I already saw.

aka "Wallace & Gromit-A Batalha dos Vegetais" - Brazil
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
perfect
Peter Swanson20 November 2005
This film is what most of the industry has forgotten how to make: FAMILY entertainment, meaning something which is enjoyable to people of all ages. This particular Wallace & Gromit can be enjoyed by everyone from toddlers who like the colors and cute bunnies to their grandparents who understand the adult references.

This film has direction as good as any I've ever seen, and I mean that literally. It is also packed with tiny bits of humor, and each scene has so many humorous details in the background that I'm going to have to buy it, if only in order to read all the signs and handbills in W & G's world.

I plan to see this movie at least twice more in theaters, then buy it on DVD. You too should see it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
5 years in the making - very impressive
TheMovieMark7 October 2005
What-ho! This one is jolly good. I say jolly good, ol' chap. Or should I say "ol' bean"? My mastery of British terminology is a little dusty. Anyway, my biker boots and I walked into this screening with no prior viewing experience of Wallace and Gromit. I'm happy to say that my boots and I walked out pleased to have made their acquaintance.

While not as adult-accessible as Toy Story, W & G still manages to be clever enough to provide the grown ups with a little humor that will most definitely soar over the heads of the young 'uns who are too busy guffawing at the Were-rabbit's belches to have any clue that something is amiss. I highly suggest that you pay close attention any time you see books or words on the screen because there are quick glimpses of puns that you'll miss if you aren't paying attention. My favorite is a book of monsters that refers to the Loch Ness Monster as "tourist trappus." If you've ever been known to say, "I can really relate to Kevin Federline," or if you're just illiterate then not only will you miss out on these jokes, but you probably should be spending your time learning to read instead of going to movies. Consider this a public service announcement.

The most impressive aspect about W & G is its clay animation. Thanks to the tedious process, it took FIVE YEARS to finish the film! According to the press notes, there were some days when the optimum goal was to merely accomplish 10 seconds of completed film. Folks, I sometimes have trouble finding the motivation to finish responding to a handful of emails or adding captions to pictures for my reviews (a point that is proved by a lack of pictures in this review); so I can't even imagine having the required patience for that.

I really like the rough, hands-on quality of the claymation figures. The fact that you can see fingerprints in the clay is a nice, personal touch. How can you not be impressed with clay characters that show more expression and emotion than Paul Walker and Keanu Reeves combined? The Curse of the Were-rabbit is, as director Nick Park calls it, the world's first vegetarian horror movie that should entertain both kids and adults alike. Relying on (and as a male who prides himself in his shaggy-haired, cool-bearded masculinity I hesitate to use this word) cute and (oh man, I probably shouldn't use this word either) lovable characters rather than outdated M.C. Hammer references, W & G is proof that DreamWorks can create entertaining animation when it chooses cleverness over the cheap joke.
73 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Animated Film Of 2005!
TKTiger26 October 2005
Having just come home from my third viewing of The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit, I decided to jump on IMDb and see what others thought. I noticed a lot of Brits loved it, while those in America just didn't get it. That really doesn't come as any shock, as America doesn't get what "English" is.

Wallace and Gromit are very English. Middle class English, in fact, with a hint of eccentricity throw in for good measure. The film is a lot like our two heroes; simple and unassuming. It has a nice and gentle plot so the children don't get lost, yet there's enough beef there to keep the adults amused too. There's some light innuendo (which seems have to have offended the evangelic - oh noes, drama!) but there is nothing more rude than a bottom for a brief moment. When people get offended by a plasticine anus, you know the world's messed up...

One quick note to those (all American so far that I have seen) who think Chicken Run is a better film: Chicken Run was made to pander to your sense of humour, and I think it suffered because of it. Curse of the Were Rabbit is witty, English, and intelligent. Thomas The Tank Engine's film was ruined because it was made to please the Americans and I'm glad Nick Park did not let that happen to another Great British institution.

To sum up: You can keep your Chicken Runs, your Shreks, your Madagasga's - that kind of crude, crass, slapstick comedy just doesn't compare to the wit and grace that is Wallace and Gromit in Curse of the Were-Rabbit. English to the core, and long may Wallace and Gromit stay that way.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The World's First Vegetarian Horror Movie Is Outstanding
Chrysanthepop13 February 2009
'Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit' is one of the funniest and most delightful films of all time. I've always loved Aardman's claymation and their movies. I adore Nick Park's previous short movies of Wallace and Gromit. Gromit is definitely one of my favourite movie characters. Coming back to this movie, the story definitely follows the horror movie trend and pays homage to movies like 'King Kong' and 'Jaws' (just to name a few). The quirkiness and humour is superbly in tune. It has a very British humour. The characters are strong and hilarious.

The colourful set designs, props and claymation are remarkable detailed. The music brings an overall energetic feel. The cinematography is great. The voice casting that includes Peter Sallis, Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes is excellent.

This is Aardman's first feature film in 5 years since the hilarious and adventurous 'Chicken Run' so perhaps one will have to wait 5 more years before the next movie (as the making does take a considerable amount of time). It has been longer since Wallace and Gromit appeared on screen and it was just awesome to see them back with a new mission. Wallace being the inventer and Gromit as his loyal friend and support, these two form a fabulous duo and I believe any new adventure with them would be worth the wait.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
flaws are few
chefmoviebuff27 October 2005
Who can ask for more? Taking my 2 and 4 year old children was a risk, I admit. But well worth it. They were enthralled from credit to credit, with their parents beside them.

I have taken the kids to films before with mixed results: too scary, too boring, too sophisticated, whatever. With this film, however, I was glad to see a smart film with wit, style and a sense of passion emanating from the screen. Any film that takes 5(!) years of production to make, good or bad, deserves some respect for the bravery and the patience it takes to film a film like this.

O.K. I'm gushing a little. Then again, why wouldn't I get excited? Looking through the movie listing today only reminded me of the poor quality of films that are distributed. At least for the moment Regardless, W & G is a film well made. Perhaps the originality wasn't the most inspired, nevertheless, well told and well paced.

Too much adult humour? Too many sex references? Maybe. Though my kids didn't quite catch them. Too young. So, in my case, I didn't really notice.

Well, needless to say, I liked it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A new mystery for Wallace and Gromit
bavynak11 October 2005
My only problem with The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is that the movie does not take the time to properly introduce Wallace and Gromit to those not familiar with Park's short films. Strangely, "A Close Shave" manages to do this with a lot less time to spare. Still, I loved seeing the boys back in action and loved all the new characters, human and otherwise. I especially loved Ralph Fiennes voice as the scheming Victor Quartermaine. It is also interesting to see the series on the large screen. The workmanship with the clay characters really stands out. It's a hoot, and great for the whole family! I buy very few DVDs but I have every Wallace and Gromit and will happily add this one.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic movie. One of the best of the year.
Pearlhead18 September 2005
In 1989, Aardman Animations introduced the two heros in The Grand Day Out. In 1993, they fought an evil penguin in The Wrong Trousers. And in 1995, they had to rescue sheep from an evil robot dog in A Close Shave. In 2005, they're back and they are going to fight something that used to be cute and cuddlely in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. In this full feature film, Wallace and Gromit work in Anit-Pesto, a pest-control business. There's going to be a Giant Vegetable Competition, but rabbits keep eating the neighbors vegies. Wallace and Gromit takes care with that problem. But Wallace had an idea. He will brainwash the bunnies with his machine. After doing that, something suddenly eats all of the vegies in the neighborhood and it's big. It's up to Wallace and Gromit to save the day. As a fan of these two characters, I was impressed. It kept what the 3 previous chapters had and instead adding a lot of Hollywood actors for voice-overs, they put a no name cast to the job and boy, they did a fantastic job. Wallace and Gromit has not changed. Wallace is still the cheese-loving freak like he always was and Gromit is the silent newspaper reading dog. Also, the script was not too shabby like other family movies were. There is a twist of who the Were-Rabbit really is. The direction from Nick Park (the director of the 3 previous chapters) does a really good job with the storyline. Instead of adding the Hollywood formula in it, he just took the style of the previous chapters and adds a bit of a dark fantasy twist in it. Well done, Nick. The rabbits are also funny and adorable, but the funniest rabbit in the movie is one who has the mix of Wallace in him. The characters were not bad and they weren't annoying, but they'll never top Wallace and Gromit. The animation is indeed fantastic and wonderful. I've never seen a clay-animated movie that is so amazing since Chicken Run. Overall, fans of the two knuckleheads (including the teens) will love this fantastic film. It is a well done film that should get an Oscar next year. Hooray, Wallace and Gromit. 10/10
36 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Endlessly creative and loads of fun
wolverinesforever20 June 2009
In one of the early scenes, Wallace and Gromit are called into action on an emergency basis. An alarm sparks the start of a teapot, which then shoots steam into a fan, which operates a machine to wake Gromit up. Meanwhle, a hunk of cheese is brought out to wake Wallace, and both are then launched out of their beds and into an assembly line of sorts. There, they are dressed, served coffee, transported into their vehicle, and they drive off to the scene of the crime.

This scene established not only how creative Wallace is with his inventions, it also shows how creative the whole movie is. Nick Park and Steve box create countless images and situations that shine with imagination and wonder. This creative spurt is one of the many joys "Wallace and Gromit" works so well.

And not only is the film visually imaginative, it has a story that is funny and engaging too. Here, the immaculate duo must save their town from a rabbit infestation that threatens everyone's vegetables, which they seem to take a little too seriously. But when Wallace's experiment to "cure" the rabbits of their vegetable eating desires goes horribly wrong, an overlarge rabbit emerges and goes on a nightly rampage eating everyone's gardens.

As with the "Wallace and Gromit" shorts and "Chicken Run," Nick Park fills this film with good humor that can be universally enjoyed. There are some jokes that are aimed more at adults (particularly in the scenes between Wallace and Lady Tottingham), but for the most park the humor is that which everyone can laugh at. The characters are all very eccentric and memorable, from the priest to Lady Tottingham to the villain Victor (voiced by Ralph Fiennes, who seems to have been racking up the number of villains he has played over the years).

Needless to say, this is a winner of an animated picture. It combines great humor with good storytelling, and throws in clever and creative animation.
So Fresh It Demands a Sequel
notevenwordshere20 September 2008
It has been far too long since I saw the three original shorts of Wallace and Gromit. I did see them once, though: when I was 12 and on vacation. My family was staying in a hotel, and we had absolutely nothing to do; it was Saturday morning, and Cartoon Network aired all three consecutively.

Since then, I have been a big admirer of the duo -- but alas, they had not appeared much lately. Chicken Run appeared in the stead of another W&G short, and it was, too, delightful. And my appetite for claymation was fed a little by the short-lived Fox sitcom The PJs. Corpse Bride was another meal of plasticine, but it wasn't terribly clever (however fun).

So when I heard of this new adventure of Wallace and Gromit, I jumped at the chance to see it. Moreover -- and to my great delight -- I found that The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was every bit as clever, funny, and weird as the shorts.

Ostensibly, this is the world's first plasticine horror film. A scourge of rabbits have overtaken Lady Tottington's hall, and Wallace (head of a humane-minded Anti-Pesto) is called upon to remove them before the big vegetable competition. The picture's antagonist is Victor Quartermaine (voiced by Ralph Fiennes), both the desirous suitor of Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter) and the staunch opposition of Wallace and Gromit. The titular were-rabbit is the result of a horribly botched experiment (too silly to explain here); after the creature's creation, it rampages through the full-mooned nights eating and destroying valuable over-sized crop. This results in an uproar among the townsfolk, who are all seeking first place in the competition. They pit Wallace against Victor -- both of whom not only are seeking to get rid of the were-rabbit, but also to win Lady Tottington.

That is, without giving away any details, the plot. Now here is the fun. Besides being a scrumptious visual feast, Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is filled with the silliness of British humor: bawdy sometimes, irreverent other times, but hilarious always. The humor can pacify kids and bemuse adults. What is still most fascinating in the series is Gromit, the adorable dog. Creator Nick Park has fashioned an intelligent animal who never speaks but still says what needs to be said.

In 2005, we, the viewers of films, were not offered enough in the way of enjoyable, austere cinema. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is not a savior, but it is a sign that someone out there has enough creativity to make a smart film, an innovative one, and a popcorn movie all at the same time.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Laugh Out-Loud Riot--and That's All, Folks!
johcafra16 June 2007
I'd been a fan of "3-D animation" since the days of George Pal and Art Clokey, and I'd thought myself among the apparent few who felt the Aardman short films not so much funny as charmingly quaint, odd and eccentric, very much a product of their environment, whilst displaying great care, even love, and just incredible craftsmanship in their making.

Still, the Claymation specials of the Will Vinton Studios struck me as funnier and more imaginative. And if we Yanks appeared to enjoy Chicken Run out of proportion, bear in mind our world-view had also brought forth Stalags 13 and 17. So when I heard W&G would go feature-length, I very much looked forward to the parts but figured the sum would be 90-odd minutes of the same.

Wrong-oh! on at least two points. When I wasn't laughing my fool head off I wore a silly or stupid grin (with witnesses). Unlike your garden-variety Pixar flick, where the adults and children laugh at the same time and at the same thing, I actually enjoyed those W&G moments where they just went for the laugh, target audience notwithstanding, and, more often than not, got it. How charmingly quaint, odd and eccentric!

The greatest challenge was (and remains) convincing my colleagues to see it. To those too quick to regard me insufficiently young to enjoy this form of entertainment I summoned that silly or stupid grin. To those too quick to brand me ultra-orthodox and a prude I could report that nothing on-screen offended me. And to those who felt compelled to summon an analysis I could only call this film as affectionate an homage to the Hammer House of Horror as Young Frankenstein was to the Universal Pictures classics.

But let us analyze it for what it is: That surpassingly rare moment when a production is fun for all involved, on the receiving as well as the giving end. We're all the better for that. We can hope for more. We sure need it.
Horror Trousers
tedg13 October 2005
I am always amazed at how many surfaces film has. There seem to be so many places on which an artist can leave us a message. Usually my comments deal with "normal" differences in these surfaces: the story compared to explicit commentary on the story, for instance.

Or acting in a way that provides a second level on the story. Or a tone or set that does.

This Wallace and Grommit stuff is shocking in this context. Oh, claymation is as old as I am (pretty old), but this claymation was designed from the first to be photographed with all the camera tricks you would use in a "real" noir or Hitchcock film. That's what made it unique.

Once Park crossed into that territory, he had the possibilities to make movies about movies. Many folks do... perhaps a third of all movies have this value, but most take a common approach allowing them to comment on the way others comment on movies. Met-meta movies, but with all this reuse we run out of new ideas.

Park has some new ideas. Check out "The wrong trousers" where the story is about the mechanics of Hitchcock taking control of the movie and being fought back. Those mechanics are denoted in the story by some automated pants, but the style of the cinematography matches as the battle rages.

I guess manipulating that clay for months to get a single scene gives you lots of time to think about movie-making.

Last time around we had Hollywood intruding with "Chicken Run." It was self-referential, but of the stupid kind: lots and lots of obvious references to other movies. Mel Gibson.

This time we go back to the world of characters reinventing themselves. This time the fight is with having the monster genre taking control instead of the Hitchcock one.

Sure, most of this can be seen as simple kiddie fun, and it is. But look at the very first shot where we see the copper's ankle stepping from behind the camera. You won't see anything like this in any Dreamworks drek. That was a shot that tells us who love movies that this is first going to be fun for movielovers.

The story is as incidental and vexing as a rabbit infestation.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
35 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A smashing return of Wallace and Gromit
sancticus17 October 2005
Wallace and Gromit is back and this time they're not window cleaners. They run Pesto, a company that provide service to the people of the town that need protection from rodents that feast on their vegetables. This all due to the annual upcoming vegetables competition. It's all jolly good until a were rabbit with a menacing appetite surfaces. From there on it's pretty much a joyride with well written puns and hilarious great parodies ranging from King Kong, Evil Dead, Matrix and Werewolf flicks in general. The movie is excellent in all regards and the clay characters of this movie contribute to making the characters more human than those of the animated counterparts. Far better then Chicken Run and more back to the greatness of Creature Comforts and the original Wallace and Gromit series. It's great for all ages and should be seen by all.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent family flick!
rlnutt15 October 2005
A very cute movie!!! Well made with some hidden adult humor, but not in your face with it!! I must say I was very entertained and pleased with the script and humor in the movie. If you liked the little jokes the Chicken Run offered, then The Curse of the Were Rabbit will be right down you alley! Some jokes are pure English, but the cool claymation animation is a trip down memory lane and I, for one, am pleased to see it! Be prepared to have a theater full of kids which will increase the noise, but it's worth it because of this delightful little movie made me giggle all the way through it!!! The tongue and cheek delivery of all the voice actors is noticeable and they want you to laugh along with them as the lines are delivered! My wife turned to me and exclaimed when the credits were rolling, "We'll be adding this one to our collection!" That just about sums it up!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brits have the 'wit'!
canuckteach16 October 2005
Imaginative, quick-paced, satirical! Americans do 'zany', but the Brits do 'witty' -- and they love to poke fun at themselves (ahem: unattractive teeth, large lips/nose, 'veddy' common or 'veddy' snobby, obsession with the 'gahden'). Inside jokes for the older folk in the audience, lots of action for the kiddies. Subtle use of devices from other classic films (watch for 'Back to the Future', 'Indiana Jones..', 'Harvey', 'Tremors'.. and more). Also, a nifty 'buddy' film (Gromit is a quiet, but resourceful sidekick). Add brilliant voice work by Bonham-Carter and Fiennes (is it true? the best acting these days is being done in animation?) - enjoy! I saw it with the grandkids. fun time for all. - canuckteach
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amusing, Inventive, Colorful & Predictable
ccthemovieman-116 April 2006
This was very good, except for two things which I'll mention at the end. The animation is great, highlighted by Nick Park and company's trademark of exaggerated teeth and mouths of the characters, which make you laugh almost every time you see someone. The color was magnificent, too.

The best part of the film, however, is the clever comedy woven throughout. This is another of these animated films in which there is so much to see and hear each frame that it would require many viewings to catch all the gags. It's just a funny exaggerated look at the oddball "Wallace" and his silent-and-smart dog "Gromit." Along the way, it pokes fun people who get carried away with their vegetable gardens, something akin to how the obsessive dog lovers were pictured in "Best Of Show."

My only complaints were two typical traits of today's films, animated or not: 1 - let's make the cleric in the film look like a total idiot; 2 - let's overdo the final action scene with the predictable result but way overdone. Those aside, this is still a very amusing film that should provide a lot of laughs to many people and a movie to enjoy multiple times.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this