Sunday (TV Movie 2002) Poster

(2002 TV Movie)

I was there and from street level it was fairly accurate.
billyyork6 June 2004
On that day 32 Years ago I was a cocky young fella who seen nothing wrong with the world. I was marching along with thousands of others for basic civil rights for everyone. The only reason I was there was a beautiful young catholic girl. Now it was a bit different for me as I was a 20 yr old protestant and only there in the hope of some heavy petting after the march.

That day changed my outlook on the world. The film portrays it fairly well and can I remember it as it happened, although nothing can replicate the fear I felt that day. I won't go into too much details as I don't want to dig up old memories that turn me into a blubbering old fool. I can only say that what I seen in the film was fairly accurate to what I seen that day in the streets of the Bogside. That day I saw innocent people killed for marching for basic civil rights.

I don't know much more than what I saw and can't comment on the other pieces in the film of which I have no knowledge. I have read a lot regarding the Armys motives and also of English Justice and Political reasoning behind all that happened that day. To me I can't understand it and also I can not believe any of it as it all contradicts itself.

Nothing in my mind excuses what happened that day. Lets hope our kids on both sides of the fence and on both sides of the water do a better job of living together in peace. This film and others like it serve their purpose to show the world what happens on days like these. Days that change the world and change history. Lets hope we can learn from it.

All the Best,

Billy
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's no denying that whatever happened was terrible but this is shamefully one sided
bob the moo11 February 2002
The events before, during and after the events of January 30th 1972 from the point of view of Leo Young who was involved in the Civil Rights march leading to the conflict and whose brother was killed during the day.

Let me nail my politics to the mast before I start - I don't want anyone to take my comments on this film as me defending my own. I am a Northern Ireland Protestant and have lived there for the vast majority of my life. I believe that on Bloody Sunday that innocent people were killed and that the British Army used a level of force inappropriate to the level of threat posed. I believe that events escalated out of control and that the result was the Army panicking and shooting unarmed innocents. There - that's what I think.

I watched this expecting a slight bias as I had read in the papers that McGovern had made it that way. However I was not prepared for the sickening level of bias that this film has. The legend at the front of the film states that `this drama is based entirely on fact'. However the way it is told is clumsy, lazy and slanted. McGovern totally ignores any findings of the 1970's enquiry that he doesn't like - he claims to have used eyewitness accounts, however he treats some like gospel and mocks the accounts of the military or anyone else he doesn't like. Scenes are put together to highlight lies - one scene of several soldiers reporting ammo use -`19,22,4' etc - is immediately followed by a scene of General Ford telling a news crew that only 3 shots were fired. That is fair enough as it is clearly untrue but this trick is used in many other situations. Most notably grieving catholic families are contrasted with scenes of soldiers drinking and celebrating - boasting about shooting women and children etc. You get his point but it is like having him standing in your front room shouting his side at you for 2 hours.

Does McGovern stop with the idea that perhaps things got out of hand leading to this tragedy? No - instead he backs it up with images of soldiers preparing themselves for battle - pledging to kill the `Fenian Bastards'. The actual action sees them aiming (we see their POV) for targets who clearly have their hands up, shouting to a house wife that her white coat `makes a great target' and generally aware that they are calmly and carefully picking off unarmed civilians. He even opens the film with General Ford writing a memo that recommends that Londonderry's hooligan element being rounded up and shot. Is this enough for McGovern? Is he happy that it can be blamed on soldiers who wanted to kill and did? Is he hell!

He wants us to believe that the whole thing was planned at a high level - in the first 15 minutes we have another scene where police are removed and the military provide the support. When the man in charge complains that this is unnecessary he is told in a menacing tone that it `came from a high level' - this scene could have come straight from the X-files with the smoking man. Another scene to back this up appears to have the Prime Minister himself OK'ing a cover-up - having sent Lord Widgery to carry out an enquiry he reminds him that the battle in N. Ireland is not just political but `a propaganda war'. McGovern wants us to believe that this was not just planned by the military but the following cover up was actioned from the highest office.

The whole cast is set out to help make his point. There isn't a bad or even cheeky Catholic in the whole film - Ciaran McMenamin is boyishly good-looking (quite like Chris O'Donnell) and is just one of the many cast as saints. The soldiers are all cast as thugs with murder on their mind - there is one good one and he is only there so that his `true' evidence can be rejected from the enquiry. Eccleston is cast as General Ford in order to give the role a smiling, smirking menace and he does.

Despite the fact that he has based this drama on fact - the IRA never get a mention. We are treated to two scenes where people return fire on the soldiers (maybe 4/5 shots at most). However both these scenes are just disorganised people who get hold of weapons - and the film is sure that we see the catholic civilians either disarm them or drive them away. In case you don't know this action happened in and around the area known as Free Derry. Free Derry was a military no-go area that was patrolled and guarded by armed members of the IRA. McGovern strangely doesn't mention this fact - in fact we don't see it at all. Where did these men go, why did this huge armed presence just seem to vanish on that day? Does McGovern believe that they just went on holiday for that weekend? The fact that he just ignores their impact just demonstrates how blinded by his sources he is.

As a drama this fails because it is so one-sided - Catholics are all perfect, while all the soldiers are thugs who just want to kill the `Fenians'. Please, let me plead with you - if you watch this please make sure this is not where you get your facts from. Please use this drama as one view point, read other books, see other dramas to get a full picture then make your own mind up.

There's no doubting the level of research he put into this but it is a sickening one sided piece of propaganda masquerading as a factual drama. McGovern treats his catholic sources as if every word was the gospel truth but mocks soldiers at every step of the way. What happened on that day was a terrible tragedy. However innocent people die every single day in Northern Ireland. This film will not help either communities make peace - if anything it will stir up republican anti-British sentiment. A disgraceful sham of a docu-drama.
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As well done as Hillsborough?
mayzeedoodle21 September 2005
An excellent and accurate film... McGovern takes great pains to research and document his writing and it pays off. He is not afraid to tell the truth, even though it might draw unfavourable reviews and comments from some who like stories to be clean and sweet and glossy.

Once again, McGovern brings in Christopher Eccleston, though not in as high a profile a role as he played in Hillsborough. I found this movie as accurate, well acted and well presented as Hillsborough and I applaud McGovern for his poignant unapologetic writing. Well done and my hat is off to the writer, the actors, the production crew. A great film!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
thatsnotwinston18 April 2002
This drama is an excellent interpretation of the events on and surrounding January 30th 1972.

It is very fact based despite the opinion of others and presents the day for what it really was, cold blooded murder and an attack not just on the 28 innocent, catholic civilians shot that day, but on the very idea of civil rights for everyone in Northern Ireland.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre Coincidence
harrydelaney22 March 2002
This is supposed to be well-researched and based on fact. How come therefore that it's so packed with McGovernisms. Did the people of Derry live in some kind of bizarre Philip K. Dick world in which reality was uncannily like Cracker/ Liam/ Priest? Or is McGovern an idle hack who just keeps repeating hims
9 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
jayok7 March 2002
This film deals with the atrocity in Derry 30 years ago which is commonly known as Bloody Sunday.

The film is well researched, acted and directed. It is as close to the truth as we will get until the outcome of the Saville enquiry. The film puts the atrocity into context of the time. It also shows the savagery of the soldiers on the day of the atrocity. The disgraceful white-wash that was the Widgery Tribunal is also dealt with.

Overall, this is an excellent drama which is moving and shocking. When the Saville report comes out, watch this film again to see how close to the truth it is.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Biased
regkat5 January 2004
I completely agree with bobthemoo, a terribly one-sided doco cum dramatisation. I have no doubt whatsoever that bloodshed occurred culminating in murder on that day. But to opinion the British soldiers in such a way was nothing short of total biasness by the author. I thought he researched this event thoroughly? And what did happen to the IRA soldiers in the so called accurately filmed movie??? Mmmm.
9 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Review and film and not a "biased" history...
uncle_pot25 November 2013
McGovern has used to astonishing effect both the infamous photos from the day and the eye witness accounts from both soldiers and marchers that led to those photos being taken. The "not spoken of; yet well known" stories of (at the time)oppressed Irish Catholics of the North. Harrowing... but to but it simply it does not tell the true story of the north at the time. It does not delve into the cause and effect, the fear and despair for everyone that was placed or lived at that time in that part of the world. ... but regardless of what you read above "reviews" ... this has been proved a factual... and it is a hard watch but well worth it. Enjoy

I will leave the reviews to the reviewers but as some may have read above reviews both about the film and defending the soldiers and claim it too be biased against them.. what has now become fact is that those soldiers are being treated as murderers and that every word they said was a lie...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.