State Property (2002) Poster

Not really good
charlies12317 February 2010
I was hoping that i might enjoy this after reading some of the positive reviews about it. Also, I have liked Jay-Z in some other acting roles, and I like some of his music. Unfortunately, this movie totally sucks. Beans looked like he was going to be a pretty interesting character at first. But then the movie descended into pointless violence and every other worth was either the 'n' word or a curse word. The plot was non existent, the story just rambles about from one violent scene to another. And Jay-Z's character, who I was really looking forward too, was just plain silly and completely unbelievable. This movie was a complete, utter, total waste of time. I should have just taken a nap, I am sure I would have been much more entertained by a dream.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not my kind of movie
mbhall200311 November 2003
At first, I thought I would enjoy State Property, merely because I am a big fan of rap music, and there are a lot of rap artists in the cast, but I was wrong. State Property turned out not to be a film that I am too crazy about. Watching the trailer, I don't mind, but that's about it. After watching only the first 13 minutes of the film, it seemed to me that the concept of making a movie was used as an excuse to let people swear. Sure, rap artists swear a lot, and I was expecting that, but there was so much profanity and slang, that I found it very difficult to follow along. I also didn't see much point to what was going on in the film. (I don't want to give anything away for those people who plan on seeing it.) Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few films like this before, but with those films, it was easier to follow along with the plot. With State Property, that just wasn't going to happen. And after watching the first 13 minutes of the film, I knew that I had seen enough. I honestly felt that seeing the whole film would be a waste of my time. Feel free to check out State Property if you wish, but have a dictionary handy, the dialogue can be tough to interpret and be aware, this movie, from what I've seen, is nowhere near comedic.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So awful it left me in convulsions of laughter at the end.
jcaucig5 October 2003
So awful it left me in convulsions of laughter at the end. But beware there is a lot of bad filmmaking to sit through to get to the pay off. Oh the writing is exquistely bad, which helps to enhance the bad acting. The sound track is amazingly bad considering all the hip-hoppers involved in this project. It's a runaway parody of bad music video that lasts 90 minutes too long. It's not the best bad movie bad ( Deathship ), but the ending is so absurd, I was left in convulsions of laughter.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie should be confiscated
Newsense1 March 2009
I love Beanie Sigel. He is the most underrated rapper out of Rocafella Records but this movie stunk like week-old roadkill. Beanie plays a bully who runs around with a group of thugs that beat up on people in their hometown and issue them a warning that goes "get down or lay down"! The main flaw of the movie is that nobody can act. Beanie is so laughable in his role that sometimes I crack up when he comes on screen. He is not the only one who should stick to rapping. Memphis Bleek's character was a riot for all the wrong reasons(when he shot a Beanie's car for honking the horn at him, I laughed so hard that I peed a little. Damon Dash and Jay-z are stiff as mannequins in this movie also. You cant tell that the director knew that this film was rank and told them to keep going anyway. The funniest part is when Beanie's lawyers tell him to cop a plea for a guy he just shot. Lol! His reaction was a hoot! In short this is a bad movie simple and plain. If you want to watch it to see how bad it is then fine. But you were warned.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another rehashed Scarface gangster picture
ryan410842 December 2004
Let me start off first by saying, that just by looking at the cast I came to the conclusion that this movie would be terrible. But I decided to give it a chance, and I regret it because I wasted an hour and an half where I could have been doing something a bit more constructive rather than seeing senseless violence. The movie starts off with the introduction of the character Beans, a local drug dealer. Feeling frustrated with his mediocre street credibility, he proceeds to start knocking off the local competition.

All is well until he bucks heads with Untouchable Jay, or some name along that line, and engages in a all out gang war. In the end he gets 3 life sentences, emphasizing that Beans is indeed State Property. I would write more, but I am staring to get a headache just thinking about this movie and the time I wasted watching it. And even if you have a hour and half to spare, go do something else, do not subject you brain to such mush.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Roc-A-Fella Crime Story
David Lipkins9 April 2004
This movie is straight comedy. I was cracking up watching it. Beanie Sigel is "Beans" a psychotic Pilly drug dealer who is bent on making it all the way to the top of the drug game. His method is direct and to the point. If you don't join his crew, he's going to kill you. I real offer that you can't refuse.

Damon Dash and Shawn Carter (Jay-Z) are rival drug dealers who are at the top of the drug game. Dash is very funny in his role. You can hardly understand what the hell Jay-Z is saying. The comedy is that as Beans comes up the ladder towards Dash, he doesn't even know who the hell they are, and even tells him as much. However, Dash, who is Damon in this movie, quickly lets him know that he can still be street when necessary, by kidnapping Beans's woman. (That phone exchange is classic!!)

This is a straight to video movie, but it is worth watching. I crack up every time I watch it. The acting isn't Oscar worthy, but it's decent. The women in here are attractive, especially Jay-Z's hit girl at the end. The plot is basic, so you won't have a problem following along. Worth a look.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its a movie of rappers, not actors, remember that...
contayjis10 August 2005
Yes the acting was garbage, I will admit that, and the story was NOT original at all, but I still really enjoyed the movie. Granted I am a big fan of Roc-A-Fella records and all of their artists. If you are a fan of rap, or low budget movies you will like it...Personally I thought Dame's character was the most enjoyable of them all, especially the scene with him and Jigga man talking in the front of his Benz. Not as good of a rap movie as Belly but still a pretty good hood flick. The acting, filming, dialog and story are NOTHING SPECIAL or ORIGINAL, but it does have enough action and jokes to keep it entertaining if you ENJOY films of this genre. If you don't like low-budget/rap/hood/gangsta movies then stay away!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad doesn't seem strong enough
JesNollie2 June 2002
This is without a doubt one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years. I gave it a rating of 2 only because at times it was so bad it brought a chuckle. I've seen high school plays with better acting, and the story was silly, exloitative, sexist and full of cliches.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Defecation on Film
crizlunati210 August 2005
How much money was paid to the distributor to sign off on the absolute worst film I have ever seen? The only reason I saw it was that I was sick at home for 3 days and caught it on HBO. Why would an African American write this script, direct and produce this and finally watch it? I don't understand. What was the point of this defecation besides the product placement? This movie is a self-inflicted insult upon anyone that actually likes this movie. Goes to show you the artistic edge a moronic grunt has when he/she is handed a pile of cash faster than it takes to read a book. If I haven't thrown up already then I'd probably.....oh wait, I just did.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Get Down Baby!
ray-ray26 September 2002
Either get down with the movie or turn it off. It's no big deal to turn off a movie you don't like. I thought the movie was hot! Especially for it's genre! Everyone did a good job! The photography was cool and the movie kept moving in a fast pace. Can we all get along and stop bashing other people's work? At least they tried AND made a movie! It was a ROC-A-FELLA MOVIE for ROC-A-FELLA fans why is that so hard to understand? What have you "haters" done in your life so far? HOLLA!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was wild.....
gsdaanswer20 September 2002
This was a VERY good movie for a low budget film. Majority of the actors are hip hop artists and actually really weren't trying to impress anyone by their acting. They wanted to prove a point and the point got across, so what I am saying, State Property was AWESOME, holla.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shamefully bad
dogglebe19 December 2011
This movie should've been called 'Urban Stereotypes For Dummies' as it uses every cliché imaginable. The story is a Scarface-wannabe, street thugs rising up in the drug world. While Scarface may have glorified this type of life, this movie just dragged out a plot that it couldn't successfully deliver. The acting is non-existent. I've seen better cold readings than this. And the directing just plain stunk. Too many close ups. The director should consider using medium and long shots on occasion.

I'm going to change my cable provider if movies like this are the best they can offer.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beans and Baby Boy decide their life isn't going anywhere. They recruit soldiers to help them reach the top of the drug industry but discover wealth with consequences.
recusant_3915 February 2005
Mostly, the whole gang of State Property is here (other than Young Gunz & Peedi Crack), complete with Omilio Sparks (Baby Boy), Oskeeno (D-Nice), and even Memphis Bleek (Blizz), a real close friend of the main character, Beanie Sigel ("Beans"). Amil & Jay-Z co-star in this thriller/crime/drama movie as they unfold in the plot.

I liked the fact Beans & Baby Boy start out in the strip club while thinking about their life, it gives a good-some feel to it, because the common man can relate to being down in the dumps and heading to their favorite strip bar. Blizz is their first recruited, how is someone they knew who just happens to pop-off someone in the club. Beans & his crew face the common challenges for any group attempting to reach respect, power & money ('the American Dream'): back-stabbing, snitches, and envy. *spoiler: Towards the end of the movie, C-zar, a man gunned down by the cops who used to work for Beans' crew talks to the police, which could endanger Beans' chance at fully living his newly-found opulent life--which he had planned to retire from soon before, on word of his lovely wife, Aisha (Sundy Carter). I loved that 1 guy poses as a handicapped and starts blasting from a hidden gun in his sling. From there, he drops a few officers, takes their guns, and ingeniously hands one to Beans. As soon as they see C-zar, cowering in a corner, one of them shoots a bullet into his head. Now, for the final part, my favorite, Beans is handed a gun and progresses to shoot all officers around. Reinforcements from outside show up and then Beans is taking down many. He gets cocky and begins mouthing off, only to be shot by Amil. With that turn of events, she blasts one bullet into the back of Beans' head when he wasn't looking and walks out of the room, as anonymous as any civilian carrying a briefcase outside the courtroom. The director did an excellent job in switching a scene to Beans' family, Aisha, his wife, and his daughter, Aja (whom he affectionately called "Stinky Butt"), crying & huddled together. This is when Beans comes back into the story and reveals it was made-up. "That only happens in the movies" he says, as he tells you what REALLY happened. He got LIFE in prison... he's State Property. I credit the director, Abdul Abott for both doing a magnificent job directing this scene and writing it in. Whether you think Nas or Jay-Z is better {or neither}, or you only like thrillers with well-known ACTORS (not rappers), I suggest you check this movie out.

The soundtrack is awesome, with Beanie Sigel songs such as "Die," "Mack B****," and State Property song, "Sun Don't Shine." Also, the acting is cool for one of Beans' & others' first movies, and the blood looks more real than not. Ernest & Abdul did such a great job writing the story I thought for a little while Beans actually wrote that on his life, based on the realistic feel. An excellent story, a radical idea (taking the "American Dream by force), and the realism make this movie worthwhile. That's why I give this story a '9 out of 10' rating.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who dun stole the doggone script?
p-stepien20 October 2011
Fade in. Show picture of hommies. Enter voice-over. Beans (Beanie Sigel) tells us what a dog eat dog world this is. All about the Benjamins y'all. Enter titles sequence - lots of pole dancing, close shots of silicon enhanced nipples and focus on ho's wiggling that thang! Camera focus on Beanie and Baby Boy getting down with the girlies. Enter brain light-bulb. Beanie thinks: Yo, had enough of being a poor mother... Time to get rich or die trying. Six weeks later: Beans, Baby Boy and a couple of thugs start randomly shooting drug dealers in broad daylight to take over their business. No police or thugs to hand out pay-back. A year later: Beans rules all, moves out to the suburb, but still shoots, kills or whatever. A dozen or so incoherent sequences of hood crime idiocy later the movie ends. Yo! That was so not cool!

Bad acting, terrible phony script (or more like random parts of scripts clinging together with the use of duct tape) and a tiresome 90 minutes of low-budget pointlessness. Not much more to add but honestly avoid at all costs. It may be low-budget, but that does not take the director off the hook of making something as tacky and superficial as this. Why the hell did anyone make a second part?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The acting is not too bad
me_3932827 October 2005
The humor was crude and funny. The main problem was the way the movie was cut and directed. Scenes started to early, so there was a lot of extra stuff were the actors were basically standing around waiting for the scene to start. There were also inconsistence or lapses in Continuity. Like the scene were a guy shots through an open window and blood spatters the window the bullet came through. Additionally, these or not Juilliard trained actors. They're rappers stretching their chops. Even with the director's problem, this was a decent movie. Jay Z's character was slightly retarded in his first scene. But he seemed to snap out of it.
State Property from R-O-C is a J-O-K-E
PersianPlaya4088 August 2005
This was actually one of the worst films I have seen to date. It was surprising because believe it or not, i usually like these low-budget hip hop films, they usually seem a bit realistic to me. However this was one WAS NOT! It was fake, wow so fake. The R.O.C. doesn't impress me with this film. The acting is not that great, the lead was horrible although I liked Omillio Sparks, Memphis Bleek and Damon Dash in their roles. I thought this film bit off so many films it was sort of pitiful. The script wasn't that great either, weak dialogues. I just think this is the perfect example for the idea that these people should stick to making music not movies. 4/10
Sort of a black Goodfellas
wally-7019 June 2003
I was pleasantly surprised at this movie. It seems that people either love or hate it, most of the votes being 10 or 1. It's got heavy slang so that a lot of people might not even be able to understand it, but, for those who can connect with it, it's great.

Note, I am just a middle age, middle class computer programmer so the quality of a movie does not depend on being able to relate to the lifestyles of the people it is about.

This movie has several scenes in it that harken back to Goodfellas. I don't know if it was intentional, but they are there. I cannot divulge them or I would be spoiling.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ghetto cinema at it's finest
DunnDeeDaGreat22 May 2002
State Property sets out and achives what it needs to be a hip hop gangstr flick for the streets and hip hop heads. The film has NY slang and clothing and a great East Coast soundtrack. Beanie Sigel showcases show very good ghetttopiece theater acting but the film belongs to Memphis Bleek who brings his street thugged out killer to perfection as Blizz. Damon Dash has some funny one liners as Dame and Jay-Z in a small role does a good job as Untoucable J, in scene with Amil with dialouge is played like a true mob boss. Beanie Sigel plays his role like a gangster and the gun battles in this film are also tight. The film is one of the best movies to star rappers in the lead roles to come out and I give it four stars in the ghetto ratings.
pure genre exercise
sjgraziano13 October 2004
For a film released in 2002 it seems strangely out of date. If New Jack City was a Black-gang update of the 30's style gangster thriller, State Property slavishly apes every cliché of the genre (think "Boyz in the Hood " or "Juice" without any sense of either a filmic history or even that the overt character exaggerations of way too many 90's style "hard" rap videos are anything more than a one dimensional joke. You could sit through this once (say if it were broadcast on cable late late at night) just to see how the plot developed - as knuckleheaded as it is - but would have to be braindead to think of a re-viewing. A vanity project by unimaginitive cats on an ego trip.
Gangster film like we've seen since the 1930's
tomkierner16 February 2004
State Property (2002) was a typical gangster (now gangsta') movie like we've seen since the 1930's. A previous IMDB reviewer wrote that it alluded to Goodfellas. It goes back much further than that. Beans Sigel's character, Beans, is very reminiscent of Rico Bandello, from Little Caesar (1930's). (Rico's character has become so intertwined with popular culture, it is parodized by Chief Wiggum on the Simpsons).

Beans, tired of being broke, and seeing no end to his financial troubles in sight, decides that the only way to improve his station in life is to make it happen his own way- through a murderous rampage to extend his criminal empire. Sounds familiar? It should if you've seen Scarface, Little Caesar, Goodfellas, and literally dozens of other crime/gangster/gangsta' movies. Like all of these movies, the ambitious young character, Beans, not satisfied with an incredible fortune wants more, possible too much. Also, much like many of the central characters that came before him, more than money, Beans wants respect.

The movie was better than IMDB users have rated it, but not stellar. Parts of it are gripping, but from the moment Beans gets his grand idea of starting his criminal empire, you know how it will end. It's enjoyable if you like gangster films and are fascinated by the justifications of morality that these gangsters use. But if you're looking for an installation that brings a whole new twist to a genre, look elsewhere. This plot's been done. Ironically, towards the end, Beans encapsulates this point perfectly: "The players change; the game stays the same." Beans is the new player, in a plot dating back almost a century.

Cheers,

TK
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite possibly the greatest movie ever made...
RockytheBear14 August 2003
ALL MY REVIEWS CONTAIN SPOILERS. EVERY ONE OF THEM.

The movie's opening scene takes place in a strip joint, chock-full of gratuitous nudity; if there even IS such a thing-- it's just a phrase I always hear wimp critics use. I have no idea how that's a bad thing. And any movie with people getting offed repeatedly is a friend of mine. State Property is that movie.

State Property, the straight to video movie, stars rapper Beanie Sigel, who is one of Hollywood's ugliest-- second only to Kevin Bacon. Beanie will ruin your day. Period. If he doesn't like you, or you don't do what he says, you're dead. Period. Broad daylight, he doesn't care. 900 witnesses, he doesn't care. You'll be out in the street chillin' somewhere and Beanie and his gang will come by, and blow your whole chest cavity out and ruin your whole day. Period.

This whole movie is one scene. One scene done dozens of times: Beanie asks someone to join his team. They say no. Beanie comes back and wets their shirts up with blood. Ruins all your plans, I tell you. This is one of those "Let's get all our friends together and make a movie" kinda movies. Let's fill it with everything that we don't have in reality (money, respect, women) and live out all our fantasies on TV. And since I, Rocky, share these exact fantasies, I have no problem with this movie.

Talk about one perfect movie. Every man in the movie who isn't Beanie Sigel gets blown away. Every woman in the film has amazon breasts and the ass of life. The movie is incoherent in terms of plot, and that's just fine with me. My attention span rivals that of a rabid goldfish, and the less plot you put in a movie, the more time you allow for people getting blown away. Lack of plot is 100% redeemed when you got people getting killed by the masses in between scenes of pointless nudity (oxymoron, I know.)

For all of you that say State Property has bad acting and a bad script, I say to all of you, WHO CARES!! If you want a great script, look for Chopping Mall. If you want great acting, rent Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama. I have seen State Property 3 times now and I am firing up the ol' DVD player for another serving as I come to the conclusion of this review. It's a gun toting revenge movie, what do you expect? I'd root for a sequel, but the whole cast is dead. Maybe the heavens will bless us with a prequel.

* * * * * out of 5.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was a fun movie! Big UP!!!
Zume8 February 2002
I was wondering what ever happened to the ol' Blaxploitation movies and this one popped out of nowhere! I really enjoyed this film. It captured the gangsta rap vibe perfectly. It flowed in a fast pace and I never got bored. Beans and Babyboy made a great team and were funny together. Damon Dash was funny too. Jay-Z was in it just enough to not to steal the shine from Beanie Sigel. I hope Abdul the director does another Roc-a-fella movie soon! I have been a big fan since the "Streets Is Watching" mini movie came out a few years back!
"Scarface" set in Philadelphia
jfgibson7313 June 2014
State Property kept me interested all the way through. It was basically the same story as Scarface, but set in Philadelphia: a guy with nothing decides he wants to make a lot of money, so he starts killing people until he is the main drug dealer in his area. I want to say the movie was well written, but I feel like it's hard to tell if there was a script or if the actors were mostly improvising. The dialog feels very natural, and I believed pretty much every performance. Beanie Siegel carries the story as the no-nonsense central character. He is very straightforward and blunt about confronting every obstacle to his business. As the story progresses, I felt like there was a logic to most of his decisions, even when he was doing something crooked. For example, if he decided to kill other drug dealers to get them out of his way, it wasn't too shocking, since they had to know it was a dangerous lifestyle. But when Beans threatens a character named Ceasar, it felt like a turning point in the movie. Beans meets Ceasar in his detail shop and tells him he has to work for him. Ceasar comes off as being very straightforward, telling Beans that if he did this, it would put him in the middle of him and another dealer, explaining that he couldn't just change allegiance without endangering his own life. Instead of seeing it from Ceasar's point of view, Beans just guns him down. It felt different from the rest of the violence in the movie because Ceasar wasn't arguing with or disrespecting Beans, he was just explaining what would happen if he did what Beans wanted. It seemed like a very unprovoked response, and it ends up leading to Beans' arrest and conviction. Ceasar lives and goes to court, but is blackmailed into changing his mind about testifying against Beans. The judge still sends Beans away, and the movie ends, but I already have the sequel going, so I'll let you know where it goes from here. Hopefully it's more of the same, because I never got bored watching part 1. One minor disappointment: I didn't feel like they made much use of the setting. I would've like to have seen more details specific to Philadelphia.

I've noticed that a lot of these low budget straight to video movies set in the hood seem to find a lot of actors and actresses who give performances that feel very naturalistic. I don't feel like I can see them "acting," they just seem to "be" their characters. The dialog doesn't have a cadence that sounds recited-- It seems like a common thread I am finding in movies from this genre. I'd be curious to know if the filmmakers are casting people they know and everyone is just naturally talented, or if the people in the movie are even real actors with careers. Maybe they are actually from the city where the movie is made and it's just easy to be themselves on screen. For whatever reason, I feel more like I'm watching real people than when I put on, say, an indie drama or a J-horror.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly the worst film of the hip-hop gangster cliche movie genre
travbick6 December 2002
First of all I find fault with the opening credits where it states that this movie is inspired by actual events. Whatever, this movie is inspired by the unimaginative imaginations of a few guys who watched Scarface one two many times and decided they wanted to live out their fantasies through film. The writing is horrible. The acting is horrible. Beanie Sigel and the other characters in his little mob are underdeveloped to the point where they all seam to be the same person. Beanie Sigel, as the main character, has absolutely no motivation for going on a murderous rampage in order to build his drug empire other than the fact that he was bored one day at a strip club. Nothing happens in this movie that makes it stand out from the others in this genre. It's exactly the same story only the names of the characters have changed. Young thug sells drugs, young thug wants more money, young thug kills many to get money, young thug expands territory gets power. You know the rest. Don't waste your time with this one. And if you're one of the idiots who actually thought this was a good movie you need to think about exposing yourself to better films so you'll know the difference between good and bad. I gave this movie a "1" only because "0" wasn't one of the choices.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
t-money-119 March 2006
I was surprised by this film. Saw it late night on BET. Was very impressed with its intensity. Having lived in NYC during the early days of crack and having had friends that grew up in the projects, the film struck a chord.

The guy that plays 'Beanie' is intense in this film. Great performance in my opinion and I loved the tag line "Ya either get down or ya lay down and if ya lay down, y'r gonna stay down."

I was also impressed with some of the special effects. Pretty gritty in spots.

Although this is not a perfect film by any means, I do believe that it is worth viewing.

I have not seen the sequel.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this