Shrek 2 (2004) Poster

(2004)

Just as delightful as the first one!
TheLittleSongbird11 May 2009
I do think the first Shrek is better, but this is a delightful film that is just as funny and imaginative than its predecessor. Here we are introduced to new characters, such as Puss In Boots, marvellously voiced by Antonio Banderras. (Puss's look of innocence with the eyes was so sweet) The original voice cast return and are given fresh and very well-done material that they make the most of. Eddie Murphy mayn't be to everyone's taste, but I personally thought he was very funny, especially when he keeps saying "Are we there yet?" The new characters are well done, though I am not hugely fond of Jennifer Saunders as the Fairy Godmother, though I really did like John Cleese, Julie Andrews and Rupert Everett. The animation is just as lovely as it was in the first. The only other criticism I have of the movie, is that the plot isn't always as involving as the one in the original. But it is still rock-solid entertainment, for everyone to enjoy. 8/10 Bethany Cox.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you serious? I thought Shrek 2 was so much better than the first!
Smells_Like_Cheese14 November 2006
As much as I enjoyed the first Shrek, I honestly almost died laughing and loving Shrek 2. The first Shrek was sweet and innocent, but the second took us to a different edge with terrific animation and just drop on the floor laughable jokes. Antonio Bandares as the cat was just such a great addition to the cast, he just killed me! I don't understand why Shrek 2 wasn't on the top 250, how could someone not enjoy this Shrek?

Shrek and Fiona are now married and happy ogres, that is until Fiona's parents wish to see her and her new hubby. Fiona was supposed to marry Prince Charming, which ruined her fairy godmother and dad's plans, so her dad hires a hit-cat to slay Shrek, but fails, but since Shrek spars his life, the cat stays with Donkey and Shrek. Shrek wants so badly for Fiona to live happily ever after, so he and Donkey take a potion from the fairy godmother and have little time to make sure it stays permanent.

Like I said, the Cat was my favorite character, especially when he and Donkey since Livin' La Vida Loca, I thought that it was so cute. Also when he stops the guards in the palace and gives them the cute kitty look. I just don't understand why no one got into the sequel as much as I did, otherwise this would be higher on the rating, and probably above the first Shrek.

57 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why I Liked 'Shrek 2' Better
ccthemovieman-119 March 2006
I much preferred this sequel, even though I also liked the original, too, as millions of other viewers - kids and adults - did. This second edition, to me, was better than the first one for the following reasons:

1 - A faster-paced story; 2 - Better colors, just gorgeous with a 3-D effect in spots; 3 - another great combination of humor, adventure and romance; 4 - no one segment of the story overstayed its welcome; 5 - Eddie Murphy's character wasn't played up as much, meaning less abrasive shouting in this film; 6 - a genuine touching ending which left the viewer very satisfied.

Some of these qualities were all there in abundance in first Shrek, too, but the package was more complete here. It was softer, kindler, gentler Shrek film than the first. Murphy is a funny guy but his incessant talking can get on anyone's nerves, but with less to say, that didn't happen in this sequel.
106 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Shrekervescence!
dfranzen708 November 2004
I know what you're expecting me to say. "If you liked Shrek ..." And it's so true. Fans of the first will be ga-ga over the second. The gang at Dreamworks was smart enough not to monkey around with a winning formula, so you have all the wit and charm of Shrek (Mike Myers), Fiona (Cameron Diaz), Donkey (Eddie Murphy), and all the fantastic fairy-tale creatures.

At the beginning of 2, Shrek and Fiona have been invited by Fiona's parents (John Cleese and Julie Andrews) to the family castle. Imagine their surprise when the honeymooning ogres show up! Seems the king and queen haven't heard that a) Fiona's an ogre and b) that her husband is one, too. Naturally, this doesn't sit particularly well with the king, and soon he's hired a hit man - Puss in Boots, no less, voiced by Antonio Banderas - to bump off his new son in law. Meanwhile, a Fairy Godmother (Jennifer Saunders) offers help to Fiona. And quickly, the main question of the film - conveniently, it was the main question of the first film - is whether love conquers all. Oh, perhaps it's a bit more complex than that - perhaps it's whether Fiona would love Shrek, no matter what he looked like. Come to think of it, that was the theme of the first one as well.

Shrek and Fiona journey to the land of Far, Far Away, where the stuffy king and the queen mum live. Far, Far Away is a clear knockoff of Hollywood itself (complete with the sign on the mountain), and the journey includes a pass through what looks like Beverly Hills. The attention to detail is marvelous, as always.

As with 1, 2 drops all sorts of Disney references, most resulting in full-out belly laughter. I was in stitches, although perhaps - just perhaps - some of the humor will zoom over your tiny tot's tiny head.

Shrek 2 is a beautifully done movie, perhaps even more entertaining than the original. Sure, at the end you know your emotions have been manipulated somewhat, but in the end you really don't care. Outstanding voice performances, flawless animation, and a crisp, moderately adult (but not mature, definitely not mature) script reign supreme.
86 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice fitting sequel
SnoopyStyle29 March 2014
After Shrek (Mike Myers) marries Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) in the first movie. Donkey (Eddie Murphy) has been watching the hovel while they're on their honeymoon. Then they get a summons from Fiona's parents (Julie Andrews, John Cleese) in Far, Far Away. The trio goes to Fiona's home to find an uneasy acceptance of what has happened. Prince Charming (Rupert Everett) returns after not finding Fiona in the tower. He and his mother Fairy Godmother (Jennifer Saunders) try to split Shrek away from Fiona. They threaten the King who in turn hires Puss In Boots (Antonio Banderas) to kill Shrek.

There are some great additions to the cast of characters in the Shrek world. The main trio's chemistry is maintained while Puss form a new trio with Shrek and Donkey. It is just as good as the first one. It takes the situation and spins it into a family drama. The main idea of acceptance is expanded as the parents try to accept the Ogre into the family. It's a perfectly fitting sequel after the happily ever after.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent and Worthwhile Sequel
claudio_carvalho6 November 2004
When Shrek and Fiona return from their honeymoon, they receive an invitation of Fiona's royal parents for a dinner party in their castle. Shrek does not want to go, but he is convinced by Fiona to visit her parents, who do not know that they are ogres. They go with the company of Donkey to the Far Far Away kingdom to meet the Queen and the King. Expecting for a beautiful Fiona and an enchanted prince, the King is completely disappointed by Fiona's choice, and plot an evil plan against Shrek with the Fairy Godmother, who wants that her son Prince Charming marries Fiona. The sword fighting cat Puss-in-Boots is also hired by the King to kill Shrek, who is helped by his friends to recover Fiona. I glanced the tough titles of some user comments and I am not sure whether these viewers saw the same film as I did. I usually hate sequels, but 'Shrek 2' is an excellent and lovely sequel, in the same level of the first one, having lots of funny jokes and details. The kiss of Shrek and Fiona on the beach à la Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr in 'From Here To Eternity' would be enough to make 'Shrek 2' a worthwhile movie. I saw 'Shrek 2' in the original English audio, and now I intend to see it again spoken in Portuguese. The dubbing in Portuguese in the first 'Shrek' was perfect, and I want check how it is in this sequel. "Shrek 2" is an entertainment recommended for the whole family. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): 'Shrek 2"
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Respectable effort with a tough act to follow
mstomaso23 April 2005
Shrek 2 has as much humor, talent, and fun as the original classic, and almost as much heart. The film picks up where Shrek left off, with Fiona and Shrek celebrating their marriage, but they are immediately cast into a new adventure when summoned to the land of Far Far Away (a clever parody of Hollywood), to the court of Fiona's mother and father, for a surprise royal wedding ball. The only problem, as it turns out, is that Fiona has married the wrong guy - according to everybody but Shrek, Fiona, and their friends.

The plot, revolving around this central problem, is helped along by nearly constant allusions to virtually every fairy tale in the English canon, and satirical references to many recent popular films. Unsatisfied with the combination of romantic comedy, Hollywood satire and self-parody, the film-makers' also went all out with a clever original soundtrack, making Shrek 2 as much of a musical as anything else.

The voice talent is just as essential as it was in the first film, and there's more of it, with John Cleese and Antonio Banderas giving very memorable performances. And the animation is, unsurprisingly, lovely.

To their credit, Dreamworks kept the core talent in place, but created a somewhat different formula for this film. Even though I expect most fans of the first film to adore the second, I am not sure Shrek 2 is going to make the franchise any new fans. Though more clearly made for adult audiences than the original, Shrek 2 is still warm-hearted family fare. As much as I DO recommend this film, and as entertaining as I think it will be for just about anybody, I don't consider Shrek 2 to be quite the classic Shrek was. It's touching and goofy, to be sure, but it's much more of a Hollywood film than the original, and it doesn't quite reach the same levels. Nevertheless, it is one of the better sequels I have seen, and it was definitely worth both the price of admission and a third or fourth viewing of the DVD.
43 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Funny Sequel
Rainey-Dawn23 October 2014
Just as funny as the first movie - one of the best sequel films ever made. A lot of the time, a film's sequel (in particular comedies) will loose some of their appeal, luster, charm or humor - but not Shrek 2. Nothing was lost in this wonderful sequel. This twist on the fairy-tales we grew up with will leave you with a bellyache from laughing so hard.

The entire voice cast was great in this movie. The script was well written and utterly humorous. The animators are topnotch too. The characters in the film are just, well, "cool" - very likable.

The introduction of Puss in Boots really added a flare to the story along with added comedy. I can see why he got his own (spin-off) movie.

9.5/10
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Puss in Boots world, we just all live in it
movieman_kev18 August 2005
Shrek the Ogre, Pincess Fiona, and Donkey are back in the sequel to the modern day fairy tale classic in this lesser, but still magical sequel. Shrek and Fiona are returning from their honeymoon, only to find a dejected Donkey who broke things off with Dragon apparently and the King's noblemen inviting them to Fiona's parents castle in Faf Far Away. Naturally the anti-social Shrek wants nothing to do with the invitation, but gives in to Fiona and Donkey's insistence. Needless to say the King is quite upset to find his daughter an Ogre and married to Shrek. Add the dastardly vain Prince Charming, a not so good Fairy Godmother and the delightful new addition of Antonio Banderas as Puss In Boots, and you get a fun, but ultimately unneeded sequel that treads to closely to the first plot-wise. However children will still love it. Parents will still chuckle every now and then, and it's still one of the better sequel's that I've seen.

My Grade: B-

Where i saw it: Cinemax on Demand (available till September 9th, 2005)
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proof that god has to be real
Vonuz5 November 2017
One of the greatest treasures humanity has come across. Breathtaking imagery, intelligent dialogue and well-thought-out characters. A tale of bravery, betrayal, murder and redemption. Shrek as a character is directly influenced by Jesus Christ. He is willing to take all the weight on his shoulders to make save the world from trouble. Shrek 2 is a great movie for family and drinking buddies alike. The "Pixels" of my generation. Shrek 2 is a gift sent by god to reward us for keeping faith. Checkmate, Atheists.
165 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a sequel, not that there's anything wrong with that.
lee_eisenberg18 October 2005
Never before have I seen such a clever sequel. I don't know whether or not "Shrek 2" specifically outdoes its predecessor, but it certainly equals the latter. This one has Shrek (Mike Myers), Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) and Donkey (Eddie Murphy) going to the kingdom of Far Far Away to meet Fiona's parents (John Cleese and Julie Andrews). Needless to say, the parents are shocked when they see that their daughter has married an ogre. Further throwing a wrench in the works are the presences of swashbuckling Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas) and jealous Prince Charming (Rupert Everett).

Aside from the fact that it never gets ridiculous or formulaic, "Shrek 2"'s strength lies in its popular culture references. Almost any movie, any TV show, or any song that you can imagine, they spoof it here. Whether it's Sir Justin (Timberlake, that is), Far Far Away's resemblance to Beverly Hills, or any of the quotes, this movie pulls no punches. A treat for all ages.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful solid fun
jomipira8 July 2004
Ok, I have to admit that the surprise is gone. The original Shrek was irreverent and made fun of all the children stories known to man... The second one is on the same line but by now you expect it. Still it's been a long time since I've seen an entire theater laugh from the start till the end of a movie. Wonderful new characters (you have to love the pussy in boots), superb animation and a all-round well made movie for everyone to enjoy. But please, whatever you do DO NOT read any comments (like this one) before you go see the movie, it can ruin it for you... And watch the credits until the end, there are surprises... Enough said, just enjoy the film, it's guaranteed to make any blues just fade away!
71 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Liked This Better Than Shrek One (So Sue Me!)
gavin694217 December 2006
Shrek and Fiona travel to meet Fiona's parents, who are less than thrilled that Fiona has married an ogre (though they seem to ignore the fact she has turned into one). The King devises a plan with the Fairy Godmother to get Fiona to leave Shrek for Prince Charming (which seems brilliant if we ignore all the laws about marriage, possibly inapplicable in the fairy world). Shrek won't sit back and let Charming steal his bride, though. Heck no.

I liked this movie better than the first one. It was another great combination of humor, adventure and romance. I found the humor much funnier and more consistent this time, really pandering to the adults. The catnip joke and the subtle use of the word "pussy" (related to Puss in Boots) are noteworthy. The movie was fast-paced and ended so fast, it could have been much longer, whereas the first film needed more time for character development.

My favorite aspect was that Eddie Murphy's character wasn't played up as much, meaning less abrasive shouting in this film. No offense to Murphy, but he is annoying and I really didn't need him in the movie at all. Giving him the back seat he had this time was an improvement. If only "Shrek 3" had him removed.

I watched this with a 5-year old child, who loved Puss in Boots. Personally, I love the Gingerbread Man the best. And I think this movie has that going for it: almost everyone should be able to find a character that stands out for them. Besides the child, I watched the movie with three other adults who all loved the movie.

I also enjoyed the Shrek = black man element. Much of this was like "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and that's always an important message (that racism is stupid). Has this been overdone? Yes. But this is an animated sequel, cut them some slack. Compared to the sequels Disney pumps out (like "Little Mermaid 2") this was like the movie of the year.

The American Idol scene ruined the movie for me, but I was able to block it out for the most part and hopefully will some day forget it entirely. Ignoring that, this movie is a charmer and very spectacular. See this, even if you have no kids.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best story of the four
HotToastyRag29 September 2021
Children learn that every fairy tale ends with "And they lived happily ever after", but there have been entire classes devoted to the damage done to children by reiterating that phrase. Some argue that children should be taught of life's realisms, rather than allow them to imagine perfection after marriage. If you agree with that school of thought, you're probably going to want to show your kids the entire Shrek franchise. In three of the four movies, Shrek and his wife Fiona have major problems!

The second movie's problems begin at home. Not their home; because of course, being huddled together in the swamp would suit them just fine. But when Fiona has to break the news to her parents that she's not only married, but married to an ogre, and has taken the form of an ogre herself, it's quite a blow. King John Cleese and Queen Julie Andrews are understandably upset, especially because they had their hearts set on their daughter marrying Prince Charming (perfectly cast as Rupert Everett). The family secrets run deep, and just like in the first movie, the audience sees that traditional fairy tale characters are not what they seem. Plot for plot, the second Shrek movie captures my vote for the most interesting storyline. If you find the twists, turns, and reveals to be more important than the jokes, this one will probably be your favorite. That's not to say this one isn't funny, because it is! And the large-eyed adorable Puss in Boots gets added to the entourage of sidekicks, which is very cute.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
isaacsilva1606 October 2019
This movie is an absolute masterpiece...nothing more that has to be said
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Transcending the Genre
rserrano4 December 2004
In many ways, Shrek 2 is to fairy tales, what Kill Bill:Vol.2 is to the Kung Fu genre. Although these are very different movies, both spoof all previous movies of their type and are loaded with insider allusions (just look at the length of the IMDb trivia sections for each!). Both use latest technology to create a hyper-real quality which goes beyond their forerunners to create a feel that the viewer is seeing something that has not been seen before. But each also stays true to their genres' formula conventions of character and plot that, though seemingly worn out, we still love. As a result these movies are satisfying, meeting some deep rooted needs but in novel and refreshing ways.

2004 may signal a trend in this kind of treatment of well treaded genres, with Westerns and Film Noir as two other potential future candidates.
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shrektastic
Darth_Osmosis6 June 2018
The first Shrek was great, but this one is even better and builds on everything like a good sequel should! The jokes are coming a mile a minute from every direction! All the references to everything from other fairy tales to pop culture are great, soundtrack is also fitting and compliments the scenes nicely! Puss in Boots is a really good new character. Great example of what a sequel should be!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful!
nowmann10 November 2004
The first time I watched this movie was in my living room with my husband, daughter, and mom. We all laughed so hard we had to watch it again to see what we missed (which turned out to be a lot!). Antonio as Puss was genius! As was Jennifer Saunders as the fairy godmother. Kudos to the casting director. Once again Eddie Murphy as the annoying and talkative donkey was perfect and even much more lovable. And Mike Myers as Shrek, what can I say? A perfect grumpy ogre. Cameron Diaz once again lets her personality shine through even in animation. Oh, and Rupert! With that voice being the narcissistic Prince Charming. I could go on and on about the characters in this movie but instead I implore you to watch it for yourself. I loved this movie as did my entire family. The jokes in this movie were absolutely delicious! For those naysayers who hated this movie, I say go buy a sense of humor!
94 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the funniest most fun filled animated movie ever made.
aymanrizk6 November 2004
I really did not like the original that much; I thought it was about 20 minutes too long and a bit disgusting for the intended audience. But the sequel was brilliant, very funny and just a pure pleasure to watch.

The DVD (Canadian version if it is different) was also well made and had a number of decent extra features. Even the starting menu is funny and a good introduction to the laughter that follows.

The songs chosen for the different scenes matched the purpose and the flow of the scene and tremendously enhanced the viewer's experience. And the animation was very realistic.

Well done DreamWorks.

Note: do not turn the DVD off as the credits start rolling. Wait for an appearance of one of the characters from the original movie.
65 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Onion
bevo-1367814 March 2021
Funny stuff I like the bit where shrek choked on his spoon.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More entertainment from Myers and Co.
The_Void26 December 2004
The original Shrek was enjoyable, if forgettable, entertainment. It worked better than most films of it's type because it was a fresh and original take on the classic fairytale and beneath it's over the top characters and general bravado, there was a rather touching love story that allowed audiences to care more than they would for the average animated picture. The sequel picks up where the original left off and sees Shrek and his bride, Princess Fiona visit her parents, much to Shrek and father's dismay. You see, Ogres aren't welcome at her father's palace, especially not when they're wed to his beloved daughter, and life is made very hard for our hero indeed. This prompts him, along with his trusty steed; the imaginatively titled 'Donkey', to set off on a quest to find a potion to put things right so that he and his princess will be able to live happily ever after (fairytale style!).

This film isn't any better than the original, nor is it any worse; the two are on par with one another in terms of quality, and just different. Whereas the first film offered a love story, this one is more about acceptance and superficiality, and it actually works quite well. Of course, the message will no doubt be lost on the film's target audience (children), who will just enjoy the animation and fun of the picture, but the rest of us can enjoy the message. Also to be enjoyed about this film is the amount of film tributes - I counted many and probably missed a couple, but the most obvious ones are Alien and Raiders of the Lost Ark. The animation of the film is fabulous and undoubtedly DreamWorks' best yet. Even the regular humans in the tale look fine, and I have yet to say that for any other animated picture since this computer animation craze started. Shrek 2 also benefits from a number of big name voice actors including, obviously, Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy, but also John Cleese, Rupert Everett, Julie Andrews and Jennifer Saunders add their voices to the impressive roster, and not to mention Antonio Banderas in the memorable role of 'Puss in Boots'.

Overall, like the first one; this isn't a great film. But it is great entertainment, and for that reason it is hard to dislike, and I recommend it if you like films of that nature.
Great sequel
C22Man27 September 2015
It is never an easy task to follow up such a big hit as Shrek was, however Shrek 2 does a truly fantastic job and you would have a strong case to argue that it is even better than the original. Taking everything that was so enjoyable from the first film, it places it in a different situation and adds a new set of interesting characters to interact with. Whereas I felt that the original Shrek film was content with parodying fairy-tales and letting its characters craft the laughs, Shrek 2 ups the adventure and adds all different kinds of jokes in order to making everything seem bigger than before. This method can so easily fail, but I'm very pleased with how well it works here.

This story is nothing new as Shrek and Fiona are summoned to Far Far Away to meet Fiona's parents who are the king and queen, and unsurprisingly Shrek and the king don't get along. Even the beats and events are nothing we haven't seen before, but it does them with such strong wit and style that it breathes new life into these tropes. But it quickly turns out that the Fairy Godmother plans to have her son marry Fiona as was originally foreseen. This is more of the same, but the idea to do it is very inventive. Shrek drinks a potion that turns him and Fiona human, which causes all kinds of issues. That is so creative and also a commendably brave decision in having the main character take on a different look for a lot of the film.

I certainly think the strong characters are what make Shrek 2 so good. Shrek (with Mike Meyers' fun Scottish accent) is still the angry ogre, but his kind heart shines through. Donkey is again the comedic highlight thanks to his naivety and accidental annoyance while Eddie Murphy is simply perfect. Puss in Boots almost steals the film by bringing so much energy and by being a lovable presence. Both villains are a ton of fun. The Fairy Godmother (an excellent Jennifer Saunders) is as charismatic as she is evil and gets a lot of laughs, while Charming is an enjoyably vain and snooty. John Cleese and Julie Andrews are both superb as usual as the king and queen.

As said the comedy is bigger and broader than before, with a great variety of jokes and nearly all of them work. The pop culture references littered throughout, the ironic use of fairy-tale heroines, all the villains hanging out at the 'Poison Apple' Inn and even the hilarious send up of Cops. Very few jokes fell flat and given how many there are that is quite impressive. The supporting fairy-tale characters, including Pinocchio and the Gingerbread Man, also make a welcomed return and provide plenty of laughs once again. The climax is outstanding. With nods to Ghostbusters and Mission: Impossible, it is both really funny and really exciting with some nice little twists thrown in too.

The romance between Shrek and Fiona was another strong point of the film. I genuinely cared about their relationship and wanted to see them happy, while the predicament they are faced with at the end is gripping and it does send out a very good message. The animation is very vibrant and energetic, fitting the fast paced comedy and even allows for some good atmosphere when needed. Even the smaller details such as the backgrounds are very well designed. I enjoyed the use of pop songs and all of the tracks used fitted in perfectly. The use of 'Holding Out for a Hero' in the climax and sung by the Fairy Godmother added even more drive to the scene.

Simply put Shrek 2 is a fantastic sequel. It continues in the same vein as the original and builds on to it as any good follow-up should do. It was smart to use a plot line that was familiar and could be altered just enough to make it feel fresh. The animation and music were uniformly excellent as usual from DreamWorks. Again though I think it's the characters that make the film work so well. The originals are great yet again, whilst all of the new characters fit in effortlessly and offer gravitas as well as comedy. Shrek 2 succeeds just like the original.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never quite as good as its predecessor, but also never claims to be.
Pjtaylor-96-13804422 February 2018
'Shrek 2 (2004)' doesn't manage to recreate the lighting in a bottle that came before it, but is still a competent sequel that's charming because it still seems to have been made with complete care. It starts to slightly pander to its genre and lose some of its satire, however (although this is replaced with a more cultural lampooning perspective that works well for its humour). It's never a bad film, and is in fact an extremely enjoyable one throughout, but it lacks that element that made the first stand out. Still, a unique story, funny writing, enthusiastic performances and some great pop culture references (which outweigh the not so great ones) make this an entertaining animation. It's never quite as good as its predecessor, but also never claims to be. 8/10.
Manages To Improve on an Already Fantastic Film.Fun for the Whole Family,
lesleyharris303 August 2011
Shrek 2 is a fantastic film with a very well developed and original storyline,an outstanding voice cast and enchanting characters.It is a really impressive sequel,it continues the story of these characters in a great way and introduces a lot of new characters that make this movie even more hilarious and entertaining for family members of all ages, most importantly Puss In Boots.The movie has so much memorable lines and a really good soundtrack.Shrek 2 is a sequel that improves on an already great film,there really isn't much I can complain about,except maybe they got the characters to sing already popular songs too much, other than that it is a tone of fun for the while family and fans of the first will certainly not be disappointed.

Immediately after their honeymoon,Shrek,Fiona and Donkey are sent to Far Far Away so Shrek can meet her parents.Things get out of hand when Fiona's father discovers that her daughter married an ogre.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shrek 2 magically transports us to a hilarious quest through twisted fairytales.
TheMovieDiorama22 May 2019
The original was a smart outlook on classic Hans Christian Andersen stories with a modern spice added to produce a refreshing flavour. Well-rounded characters, witty dialogue and an unlikely romantic story at its heart. So, naturally, a sequel was going to get commissioned. Here we are, enduring "blistering winds and scorching deserts" to the destination of Far Far Away. And you know what? I'm not ashamed to say that Shrek 2 is one of the best animated sequels of all-time. Shrek and Fiona are invited to meet her parents, but when they arrive their welcomed party is disturbed by the sinister Fairy Godmother.

Where was I? Oh yes! I bloody love this film. Its quality remains consistent, developing the already memorable characters even further by reaffirming their love for each other whilst introducing several new characters into the cauldron. Puss in Boots, Prince Charming, heck even the Muffin Man (yes, the one who lives on Drury Lane...) makes an appearance. Fiona's character was probably the most underplayed, considering her boisterous personality in the previous instalment, but it rarely deters from the poignant happily ever after plot that is oh so relatable for all the lovers in the world.

Yet what makes this sequel that much better, is the outlandish use of comedy. It's hilarious! Whether Donkey is annoying the absolute Ogre excrement out of Shrek or Charming yearning for his "mummy" in times of turmoil. The balanced approach of both visual and literary comedy makes it accessible to pretty much everyone, and revisiting this years later I found myself discovering new subtle jokes that had me bawling. This is obviously executed exquisitely by the eccentric and likeable voice cast that bring these characters to life, not to mention the fluid stunning animation.

Right! I can't hold it in any longer! I'm just "holding out for a hero"...! Urgh. Simply put, Jennifer Saunders singing Bonnie Tyler's epic ballad was just sublime. Masterful. Frickin' fantastic. To the point that the entire sequence is in my list of favourite scenes of all time. No joke. I have the cover on my iPod, it's that good. The race against the clock excitingly creates that sense of urgency that, accompanied with the song, was perfect. I'm willing to give this film a perfect score just for that scene alone.

Alas, there are issues. The excessive use of pop songs nearly every ten minutes does detract from the wonderful score that was crafted. Some work, such as Lipps Inc's "Funky Town" and Counting Crows' "Accidentally in Love", but most of them unfortunately feel out of place. The only other criticism is that the pace seems too brisk for its own good. There's a scene where Shrek discovers an evil plan and the scene then transitions to the Wedding Ball within a second. All of sudden we're in the final act with no prior development. Small nitpicks for a family film, but must be addressed regardless.

Fortunately the vast majority of this sequel is perfect, bettering its predecessor in nearly every department. Fifteen years later and I'm still laughing at Donkey's shenanigans, that right there proves the magical lasting powers of Shrek 2. If only DreamWorks stopped making sequels, we would have that happily ever after...