Mortal Kombat (2021) Poster

(2021)

1,978 Reviews
A valiant effort but exactly what you expect
cyrax-9274218 April 2021
Great action and fight choreography as was to be expected from a movie with this title, special effects regarding characters and their abilities were also very well done especially considering the budget constraints this movie had. Storyline was predictable from the beginning and the writing itself isn't gonna win any awards, characters say their catchphrases from the games in key moments of the film, however, one big surprise for me was the character of Kano. He was the biggest and funniest comic relief character in the whole movie, constantly throwing jokes and insults at other characters. Probably one of the funniest, self aware movie characters I've seen in a long time.

There are also weird editing jumps in the movie, one moment you're looking at characters interacting and in the next you're looking at something completely different. The movie suffers from a few of these, but given this is the directors first foray into the world of movie making, I'll take that L, most of the other important things were handled with care,

If you know what you're getting and your expectations are right, this movie isn't gonna let you down with violence and gore, if you're expecting more then it's gonna be a letdown.
542 out of 728 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 for nostalgia 6 for a movie as a whole
specopswolfmp24 April 2021
I believe I was 12 years old when the first Mortal Kombat came out at the arcades, I would stand in lines meticulously destroying my competition. Watching this movie brought back memories that I hadn't thought about since I was young . To make this short, The nostalgia was perfect, they had all the old champions with a few new mixed in..The beginning was awesome, I really thought it was going to be a different Mortal Kombat movie, However, the beginning is the only drama you see after that its all fights. WHICH WERE AWESOME, but for people looking to see some sort of drama or decent script writing it falls very short.
267 out of 382 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb fun
ghrwoo4 May 2021
I am not quite sure why many are going into this movie expecting some "Grade A" writing and pacing. This is literally a Mortal Kombat movie you know what you are going to get and it gave what was needed good entertainment and fighting and brutality. I didn't start up Mortal Kombat on my HBOMax expecting some amazing award-winning plot or writing I came for the fights and characters. I am not sure what a lot were expecting out of this its Mortal Kombat lol also the fight choreography was really well done I am not sure what in the world some are talking about.

Entertaining movie and pretty much what I expected.
151 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, gory but could be better!
viantyara20 April 2021
I don't really play Mortal Kombat or even follow the concept behind it. But even so, I enjoyed this movie. The fighting choreography is top notch! The costume, the cgi is also worth the hype. I love that they decided to make it rated R. But there's also some things that bothered me, like some bad cinematography, cheesy dialogues, and the somehow boring protagonist. The act 3 of the movie really felt rushed like the writers only had 5 minutes left to finish the script. I hope the sequel will have a better act 3.
299 out of 441 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing for fans (but improvable). For the rest... probably less so.
educallejero16 April 2021
The good: the story mostly works, the characterizations are insanely good (from costumes to personalities), and the movie is as gory and brutal as needed, actually way funnier than expected, and the CGI for the powers really great.

The bad: the story is a bit messy, the characters motivations and reactions not always 100% natural and/or coherent, and the action and fights (with the exception of the ones with Scorpion) are fine, but the choreography and/or filming is kind of weak (easy to improve with a bigger budget and more talent on board).
294 out of 442 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 is about right.
mclive25-877-40148823 April 2021
Plot was lacking but the violence, gore and fighting choreography made up for it. The editing was a bit choppy and lacked in arrears that needed more detail. With all that being said, it was overall enjoyable if you're an MK fan.
231 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mortal Kombat is almost exactly what I wanted it to be
bagmanpt23 April 2021
I can say that I loved every part of the movie, even the boring parts, the story wasn't bad, although I would prefer to have Cole as a secondary character other than the main character, Would prefer to have more ninjas in the movie,(Scorpion, Subzero, Ermac, Reptile, Rain, Smoke, Noob, Jade, Kitana) but I wasn't mad about it, (well maybe reptile, I would prefer a more human reptile with powers than a actual reptile)

The lack of Johnny Cage I can understand, he has a BIG personality to be introduced in a movie with so many characters, I gladly welcome him in the sequel.

Kano was... Kano. The actor got 100000% the personality. I honestly couldn't think of a better portrait of the character. ON POINT! KUDOS Josh Lawson.

Kung Lao and Jax were another great characters. The rest was a bit generic to be honest. But it was corny and entertaining, everything I wanted from MK.

There were things that were a bit rushed like some way characters got their inner power. But all in all it was entertaining and great.

Waiting patiently for a sequel.
150 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the remake
reklama-2840825 April 2021
Have been playing the game since MK1. Legacy must go on.
138 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a respectable MK film!
mxremg26 April 2021
I see alot of other reviews saying that there wasn't a need for Cole and this and that. But I thought I was fantastic! I've been a fan of MK since the release of the 1st game. And everything done up to this point has been sub par to say the least. This movie, while yes having some cheese here and there and a couple plot holes and could've done this or that, I feel was a great story and very well executed. And for the addition of Cole. MK has introduced new characters all the time!. So why not introduce a new one? Especially one that helps tell the story and explain how this or that happens? Haha. All in all. I love it! Above and beyond better than the 1st 2 live action MK movies!!
130 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want more!
vchirk23 April 2021
Finally my home theater paid back. I didn't feel that pumped up since 2006 when I first saw the Transformers. And once the movies open after quarantine, I'll go twice lol.
130 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great tribute to the game!
godgirlprincess3 May 2021
I'm by no means a Mortal Kombat expert but it was one of my favorite games to play as a kid, back on a Super Nintendo! 😳 But I have also enjoyed playing the newer MK games on newer devices as well. The games now are very graphic, and the movie delivers on that as well. I love that the characters say lines from the game like "Flawless Victory" and "Kano wins!" I really don't understand why anyone watching it would be upset with that. Have you guys ever even played the game? Kano was hilarious. I did want a little more from Mileena. Scorpion and Sub Zero were amazing! Great fight scenes! I'd definitely recommend this movie.
92 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a Rated R Mortal Kombat!! And it was great
zorba-3627124 April 2021
Violent and gory, just like the game! Non stop action. Great fights and a ton of blood. Nicely paced and I love that it harkens to parts of the game. You'll love it!
122 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great video game movie
siddhantjoshi23 April 2021
Iam a big fan of this franchise since my childhood . Watched and played the game and movie as well in childhood. The movie was fantastic great story telling , great action . Was hooked to the movie from the start . Warner bros did a great job with this movie . Awesome characters in this movie . Specially loved subzero and scorpion . They also set up the movie for sequels hopefully guys we get a sequel soon .
154 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action movie!
eko-0317624 April 2021
As a young child I loved the original movie! Watching it last night with my son, reminded me how great these fight scenes are. My son kept wanting more and when characters performed their moves and fatalities, he kept jumping out of his seat. Story could have been better but I see it's for the sequel (I hope they make soon). If you love action, this movie is for you!
126 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ow yeahh
andiputradouii29 April 2021
AMAZIIIIIING need the sequel and more characters :D.
124 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it
dzevaddolic23 April 2021
I belive with sequals it Will get better the story part.
124 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freaking awesome!!!!
kazkadaz25 April 2021
When scorpion says "get over here" and the mortal kombat music starts playing, that gave me chills!!!! I hope we do get the trilogy, seeing your childhood on the screen is always perfection.
129 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was awesome
duleewopper23 April 2021
I got a movie effort on what I expected. Yeah a video game. At least it had substance and is willing to go further bc there are more characters. But it established a basis. And was willing to show more.
122 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hell yeah!
axel-schale23 April 2021
Here's hoping for a couple möte!

I was entertained!
127 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
travisrrea-121-28086424 April 2021
Love the movie I hope they keep making more to come and they r amazing.
130 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What are people expecting?
srajguru24 April 2021
People on here really like

"The plot wasn't coherent enough for me." "The acting performances didn't move me enough."

B**ch Sub Zero stabbed a dude with an ice pick, froze his gushing blood to form another weapon, and stabbed him with it again! Please people try to understand what you're coming to see a movie for before you see it.
137 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best video game adaptation in my opinion
uzaqp24 April 2021
Oh, Mortal Kombat. I just loved these games as a kid... I still love them. I now can happily be cut in MK3 for the Sega or MK9 on PC. And when I learned about the existence of a film adaptation of this wonderful fighting game, I immediately decided to watch it. And you know, this movie captivates from the first seconds. As soon as they start to play the first chords of the legendary melody, you just blows the tower. The plot, though rustic, but quite decent. The characters are transferred quite reliably, though some of them are inserted into the film only for the sake of fan service, such as Scorpion or Sub-Zero. The plot revolves around the main trio of the series - Liu Kang, Sonya Blade and Raiden, who must defeat all their enemies and save the world. A little trite, but it is more than overlapped just beautiful battle scenes. The main villain of the film Shang Tsung performed by Chin Han came out very charismatic and memorable. In a whole the film highly good, albeit not without shortcomings. And separately I will allocate Goro whose model was made so that sometimes there was a feeling of its full realism. From me movie 10/10.
120 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent start to what will hopefully end up a trilogy....
Wikkid_Gamez24 April 2021
I see a lot of people talking about the lack of certain things like the actual tournament, to much groundwork on background for certain characters and other characters completely missing from the movie, characters not looking the same etc, as well as people saying they wish there had been more action than only about 40-50% of the movie.

I just want to point out to everyone that is not aware, that this is supposed to be the beginning of a trilogy (Yes, I am one of those people that follows stuff like that). Had they packed all of that into one movie it would have been overload.

I personally think it was an excellent start! Excellent character casting and personality building on everyone. I love all the visual, Outworld and the temple on Earth. As well as all the visual hints in the movie of future character's for those of us that are a little obsessive.

I like the music upgrades, they still have the feel of the original and bring back memories with a slightly more contemporary vibe to keep it from sounding dated. Crossing my fingers that this first installment does well enough so that the next installment goes ahead. The only reason that I am worried that it may not is because of everything thats happened over the past year, not because of the movie not being good enough.

I personally loved this movie, as the first of a trilogy. If it were a stand alone I may be a little disappointed that certain personal favorites *cough* Katana *cough* Nightwolf *cough* were not in it, however, I saw Katana's blade fan in the temple although it didn't get a neon sign the way Shinnok's amulet did when Kano tried to steal it, and one of the newspaper clippings on Sonya Blade's research wall pointed to a possibility for a future Nightwolf to me. But between those hints and the big hint (blazing neon sign really lol) at the end when Cole Young heads to Hollywood and as he leaves a movie poster for Johnny Cage as Citizen Cage is left in focus of the camera spell out for some excellent future possibilities/probabilities. They would have had to include other realms in this movie to pull in characters like Katana and again, that probably would have been information overload for one movie. They are taking their time and doing this right and I for one appreciate it greatly!

Looking forward to the next installment of this trilogy!
113 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad. 1st part of a trilogy.
ThomDerd14 May 2021
Great visuals, excellent fight scenes, good choices on most of the cast (e.g Kano, Scorpion, Sub-Zero) and just a fun movie overall. If you are familiar with the game, you will like it.

Keep in mind that it's a trilogy, so this first film tries to add some background! Luckily there's not much time spent on meaningless conversations and the scenes get into the action parts faster than you would expect. Runtime of 1h 50min is works well; you will not be bored.

Fight scenes get more rewarding halfway through, closer to the game style.

Also, the idea to rotate this film's story around the rivalry between scorpion and sub-zero worked; it gave some background. Maybe the lead protagonist is not that interesting compared to the other characters but he seems necessary to keep the story moving forward.

So, this first film does the job and although not everyone from the game is in it, I m sure all the other favorite characters will appear in the next 2 films and I m looking forward to that.

6,5/10 good effort bringing the game on film screen.
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great!
lluckyg24 April 2021
Amazing! Everything is excellent and great!

I thought that it would be medium, but it was excellent.
113 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.