X2: X-Men United (2003) Poster

After Watching This, Roll On X-Men 3
Big Movie Fan5 May 2003
Absolutely happy! That is the only word I can use to describe my feelings after spending my hard-earned money to see X-Men 2. It was worth every penny.

Firstly, the makers of superhero films such as this have an unenviable task. They have to please hardcore comic fans and casual movie fans which is no easy task. And The X-Men-with their forty years of history and continuity-are perhaps the hardest heroes to put on the big screen. Well, I've spoken to many hardcore X-fans and casual movie fans and they all enjoyed it too.

I won't go into great detail about the plot. Let's just say that The X-Men and their enemy Magneto have to join forces to combat an even bigger threat. I enjoyed this movie so much because for the first time in years, I didn't read ANYTHING about the plot or any reviews prior to viewing it. That is why I'm not going to go into great detail about the plot. Just enjoy it.

All the favourites are back including my personal favourite Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (I hope Wolverine gets his own movie franchise one day). The makers of this movie have done a great job in making sure various characters get the right amount of screen time. We'd all love our favourites to get more screentime but with so many X-Men (and women), the producers have to do the best they can; and they do indeed.

There are a few really great special effects in this movie but unlike some special effects laden movies, the plot is more important in this movie. Furthermore, the movie is much deeper and really makes you think. Marvel comics (and movies) have always been deep and many of the issues have reflected real life. This movie is about persecution and intolerance of mutants and reflects many issues from the past and the present such as Hitler's treatment of the Jews and the different ideologies of Martin Luthor King and Malcom X. In fact, many longtime X-fans have compared the X-Men's Professor X to Martin Luthor King and the evil Magneto to Malcom X. Seeing a movie like this cannot only provide a couple of hours of entertainment but make you view society in a totally different way.

This is the best superhero film since the 70's (when we saw gems such as Superman The Movie) and the 80's (when we saw Tim Burton's Batman). It was a fantastic film but it begs one question-how are they ever going to top this?
111 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X-Men
MR_Heraclius12 February 2020
With more confident direction, a more ambitious story, and impressively realized action set pieces, X2 is the rare sequel that improves on every aspect of the original - while also working as a great stand alone movie in it's own right.
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another X-ellent movie!
MinorityReporter12 December 2005
Some people would tell you that X2 is more conventional and mainstream than the first movie and to that I can only say: What a load of rubbish! Not only does X2 continue in the style set by the first film but it also improves on it greatly. This is achieved by adding more characters, making a deeper story and making the ever expanding universe even more chaotic so as better to capture the essence of the comic book. Two thumbs way up! The story picks up after the events of the first film in a way that pleases the viewers of the first film and is satisfactory to new viewers. The story is still well written and the pacing has improved a lot from the first film. There are no real slow points during the movie and the director takes special care to cram many of the scenes with breath taking visual effects so the audience will never lose interest. The dialog is once again both very sharp and witty and intelligent and allows for adequate character development. The character development is something some people have seen fit to criticize as they claim there isn't enough of it and except for only two characters I whole heartedly disagree. The character development of the main characters happened pretty much in the first film and therefore it is only necessary to add a bit more depth to the characters instead of repeating the character development from the first film. I did feel, however, that the film seemed somewhat rushed at times and that is a shame as it definitely had potential to be a 2½ hour film.

The acting is still sublime and I, of course, have to emphasize Hugh Jackman who is still absolutely brilliant as Wolverine. Both in bringing out the animal sides during the fight sequences but also in keeping the character human like in the comics. Ian McKellen returns as well and further fleshes out his character of Magneto and makes the character every bit as devious and charismatic as in the previous film. Patrick Stewart returns as well and does what he did in the first film and he is still the only one who could play Xavier. Among the new actors are Brian Cox and Alan Cumming. Cox does what he does best and plays the new villain with the exaggerated style he usually does. Cumming on the other hand shows remarkable depth as Nightcrawler and is in spite of his appearance one of the most human characters in the film. I will miss him in the third film. Lets hope Beast is any bit as good as in the comics. Some have had their characters lessened in the sequel. Most notably James Marsden while Famke Jansen's character is developed further. Halle Berry's character Storm is still kept in the background but I'm sure she will get more screen time in the third film. Aside from the ones I have now mentioned the acting is quite good all round.

Action wise the film took a major step up from the first film and many of the action scenes are quite simply awesome. We get to see more of Wolverine's feral rage which is always worth a look. All fights scenes with Wolverine are awesome and some of the most entertaining I've seen. Also we get a brief glimpse of Collosus kicking some ass and he does look cool I must say. In fact many of the individual mutants' powers are fleshed out in X2 and like in the original X-Men film they look absolutely beautiful. My only concern regarding the effects and action scenes is how on earth they are going to top them in the coming third X-Men film.

In regards to music and sound the film improved upon the first film with a much more catchy soundtrack and more audible effects. For example the sounds of Wolverine's claws shooting out and retracting have been amplified making him even more menacing than he was in the first film. Very well done.

All in all X2 is an excellent continuation of the original film and we are nearing something that is more like a saga than a series of films. I'm really beginning to see Bryan Singer as a master director after these two brilliant films and I am a little sad he opted to do Superman Returns rather than finish what he started with the X-Men films.

54 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
why all the underrating?
suicidea8 January 2004
A lot has been said about this movie, as is the case with many recent Hollywood comics adaptations. While I truly respect everyone's opinion, I really don't see the point in some criticisms brought up against this movie.

(Definitely NO spoilers ahead.)

First of all, we must realize that X-men comics have been around for decades. They existed before many of you were born. Still, the producers had to assume that the average audience had little or no idea about the mutant phenomenon, but Bryan singer did a very good job (as always) in the first film, and introduced the audience. Besides, adapting such a story with so many characters to the screen is no easy job, and is also risky, considering it's Hollywood and it must return all those millions. So the mutant phenomenon was well explained, the characters and their abilities introduced, and the plot (which actually had a story, unlike many action flicks) was carried out smoothly. All in the running time of one film. good job.

The second film, however, had to concentrate (naturally) on more characters and a more thorough story. This is why I object (in the title) to people criticising this film for "lack of character development" etc. Many of the characters WERE developed in the first film. If you never read x-men comics, and did not even see the first movie, and see this one right away and still expect the director/writer to spell things out for you, well, you'll be disappointed. "Where did Colossus take the kids during the attack?" someone asked. To hide them somewhere, THAT'S where he took them. I don't think people would like to see the director spell out everything, such as Colossus' inner voice saying, "Well, let me take these kids somewhere beneath this multimillion dollar facility, to hide them from the bad guys."

And the newly-introduced characters were introduced well enough. You see their abilities, you see whose side they're on, you even learn more about their personalities as the movie progresses. What else do you need to learn? Which team he supports?

The highlight of the film was definitely Mystique's transformation scenes, very well done.

The movie had many shortcomings, of course, the pace slowed down more than once, some main characters, especially Cyclops, were almost lost, but the plusses were way more than minuses. Especially Nightcrawler, who almost stole the lead from Wolverine. I must also add that Wolverine is much more violent in this film than the first, much more like the original comic character.

As for the people who complain about the abundance of characters. Well, bad news for you. X-men is not a story of a couple of guys and their girlfriends. There are much more characters, hopefully to be seen in the next sequel(s). Jubilee, Pyro and Colossus were all hinted in this one. Though I'm eager to see Gambit also, I can't wait to see how they will do the Beast. Of course, I can see the "no character development" people asking each other, "Who is Beast?"

In short, this movie does what it's supposed to do: Gives us entertainment, and shows us our favorite characters on screen.
162 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most "X"-Cellent!!
george.schmidt5 May 2003
X2: X-MEN UNITED (2003) ***1/2 Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Brian Cox, Alan Cumming, Bruce Davison, Anna Paquin, Kelly Hu, Aaron Stanford, Shawn Ashmore, Cotter Smith. Superlative sequel and a boost of hyperactive energy in the franchise's arm in the second chapter of the Marvel Comics' cult classic this time with good mutants teaming with bad to stop a bent human military advisor (hissable Cox) out to wipe out both types at any cost. Far-out special effects, new characters (particularly winning is Cumming as the blue-skinned Night Crawler) and non-stop action packaged with kinetic infectious giddiness. Jackman continues to amaze as the tormented Wolverine, Berry is given more to do as the tempestuous Storm, Janssen's Jane Grey is perhaps the most nuanced in her suddenly advance telekinetic skills and McKellen is well…magnetic as Magneto. Fun tongue-in-cheek screenplay by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris (w/ David Hayter, Zak Penn and director Bryan Singer getting story credits) keeps up with the multi-layered storyline encompassing class welfare, social strata and in general to accept one for who they are and not what they are. Well done!
50 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the first.
Devotchka18 September 2003
This movie was great--much better than the original film, which was pretty standard as far as summer blockbusters go. X-2 skipped all the awkward and unnecessary attempts at a backstory (and I'm speaking as someone who knew next to nothing about the XMen when I saw the film) and went straight for an intelligent route. The characters were fascinating and the special effects were truly pretty good--and that's saying something, since I'm usually bored out of my mind by that kind of thing.Some of the acting was absolutely wonderful. Rebecca Romijn Stamos, Ian McKellen, Alan Cummings, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and Anna Paquin more than made up for the mediocre attempts of Halle Berry and Famke Janssen.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the first film
TheLittleSongbird24 July 2014
Not that the first film was bad, because actually I still found it good, well-made fun for all its flaws. It's just that whereas the first X-Men film did feel like the beginning of a franchise that was yet to properly find its feet, it was found with X2. X2 isn't perfect either but still a very good film that is bigger and darker than the first and all the better for it. Again X2 is very well-made, with the dark visual style still maintained yet with a slightly grander look. The photography is beautiful and atmospheric, and the special effects are better here too, they were good in the first that they're slicker, bolder and eye-popping in the way that the first film didn't quite but almost did achieve. Whilst Michael Kamen's score in the first was fine, John Ottman's score here is an improvement being more in tune with the atmosphere and what's happening in the story.

The script is even sharper here and with more depth, the humour and comic one-liners are witty and genuinely funny, they are not cheesy or out-of-place nor are they too much. There is a melancholic tone too that is dark and quite poignant and the romantic elements are sweet but never too soap-opera-ish. The story is where the darker and bigger terms most apply, apart from a couple of parts that could have slowed down and explained themselves more you are glued to your seat almost the entire time and emotionally connect with scenes and characters too. The assault on the White House sequence is exciting and a brilliant way to start the film, and it is true that the climax here puts the climax of the first in the shade, it's not contrived in the slightest and you are biting your nails. X2 does a great job mostly with the characters, where they are more complex and relatable.

Although once again Storm and Cyclops are underdeveloped, otherwise Wolverine is a gritty and identifiable anti-hero, and of the other characters Nightcrawler was most effective. Though once again credit is due for making Magneto much more than a stereotypical villain. X2 is very well played by the cast, with the standouts being Hugh Jackman's charismatic Wolverine, Ian McKellen's menacing Magneto with shades of melancholy, Alan Cumming's camp yet affecting Nightcrawler and Brian Cox who plays Stryker with relish without falling into cliché territory. Also good are Rebecca Romijin-Stamos who continues to be sexy and icy, and her transformation sequences are among the visual highlights of the film and Patrick Stewart still is cool and fun though his screen time should have been longer.

Only three cast members don't quite work, and they were James Marsden who's even stiffer than he was in the first(not helped by his character not been used as well as he could have been), Halle Berry who looks bored and Shawn Ashmore does look awkward at times. Other than a couple of rushed, under-explained parts, a couple of characters given short shrift and a couple of performances that didn't quite make the grade the film is a touch overlength, but the film on the whole is very good and lots of fun in its own right. It compares extremely favourably to the first film and manages to be better than it. 8/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Sometimes the mind needs to discover things for itself."
nived8418 April 2006
2000's smash hit X-Men certainly deserved a sequel (or two, or three), especially with all the cash it made and how the first one ended. Now the X-Men are back together once again, and this time they've got some new friends, including Nightcrawler and Pyro, and as well as some new enemies like William Stryker and Lady Deathstrike (his personal mutant "assistant"/slave). This time the X-Men find themselves locked in an unlikely alliance with Magneto and Mystique (their nemeses from the first film) against an evil military scientist named William Stryker, whose main goal is to eradicate the world of mutants once and for all.

X2: X-Men United is in many ways an improvement over the first film. It's more psychological, it's longer, there's more action, more mutants, more of Wolverine slicing it up and like the first film it's never boring or drags, right from the get-go X2 is fierce and exciting. In fact, X2 is almost the perfect comic book film… almost. The one little, weak link in X2, for me at least, was Nightcrawler. Now, I like the character of Nightcrawler, but I honestly didn't care that much for Alan Cumming, he came off as a bit weak, and kind of "dorky". The character of Nightcrawler really just seems like a huge convenience to the plot; like the scene where he rescues Rogue in the X-Jet, which was oh so very convenient. But the one thing I liked about Nightcrawler, besides that awesome opening sequence in the White House, was his religious side, which I thought was interesting and made me sympathize with the character a little more.

Pretty much everything in X2 works perfectly fine, which I attribute all that success to the amazing cast (Jackman, McKellen, Stewart, Marsden, Janssen, Berry, Paquin, Cox, Romijn), and the fact that the film was written and directed by the same people who clearly knew what they were doing back in 2000, and here they show us once again they still know what they're doing, and they aren't afraid to up the ante and take it up a notch. If you liked the first X-Men there's really no reason at all why wouldn't enjoy or like X2 as much, or maybe even more than the first film. It still has those surprising moments of humor, and plenty of action, maybe even more so than the original. And like the original, X2 sets itself up for a third film; let's just hope it turns out (at the very least) as good as the first two films, if not better.
46 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best sequels to date!
LebowskiT10003 May 2003
The X-Men has always been my favorite comic book, without a doubt. Spider-man is probably in second place, but The X-Men take the cake. Ever since I heard a sequel was going into the works and Bryan Singer was still on board as director, I had faith that he would do the sequel justice...of course I couldn't help but have that looming fear that something would go wrong. In the end, the film was released and of course, I wasted no time in getting to the theater to see it on opening day.

After seeing the film, I can definitely say it's been a long time since I've come out of a movie theater as happy as I did for this film. The story was absolutely brilliant and was told in the perfect manner to keep you interested. ...And of course, there are plenty of new characters and action to keep the audience in awe as well.

Nightcrawler was a truly brilliant character to bring into the sequel of the film. Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) has always been one of favorite X-Men characters, perhaps even more than Wolverine...but that's up for debate. Teleportation has GOT to be one of the coolest and most interesting ideas for a mutant ability! I was incredibly stoked to see him brought to life on the big screen, Bryan Singer and Alan Cumming did a FANTASTIC job! Next to Wolverine, Colossus has also got to be one of my favorite characters. I can't even begin to express how happy I was to see him in the film...although not NEARLY enough was done with him when there was so much potential for his abilities in the film. Oh well, there's always X-Men 3 right? The other two new characters, Pyro (John Allerdyce) and Lady Deathstrike (Yuriko Oyama) were very well done as well, although not much of their character histories were explained...which is ok, there is only so much time in a film. The rest of the characters already had a firm basis from the previous film and were all executed extremely well in this sequel, my hat is off to Mr. Bryan Singer, "Keep up the good work!"

The entire cast was absolutely perfect for the film. Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Brian Cox, Alan Cumming, Bruce Davison, Anna Paquin, Kelly Hu, Aaron Stanford, Shawn Ashmore, and Daniel Cudmore all did incredible jobs with their roles and should be proud of their work, truly fantastic.

The story in this sequel is great. I love the idea of the good and the bad having an equal threat and being forced to work together in order to save them all. The chemistry and the relationship between Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) and Professor Charles Xavier is so bizarre and interesting...and very thought provoking. There are so many interesting and well done relationships between characters in the film: Logan (Wolverine) - Scott Summers (Cyclops), Rogue - Bobby Drake (Iceman), Jean Grey - Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Jean Grey - Logan (Wolverine) to name a few. I love just watching them all interact with each other.

What it all boils down to is this, if you liked the first film, then you should definitely like this film. I'm not sure I could say I liked X2 better than the original, but I'd definitely feel comfortable saying it was just as good...and better in certain aspects (but not as a whole).

I would definitely recommend seeing this film in the theater or at least rent it when it's released, it's well worth your time. This film isn't all about super-heroes, action and fantasy, there is a lot more to it than just that and I hope you can see and appreciate that. I do hope that you enjoy the film as much as I do and thank you for reading my review, be sure to read my review for the first "X-Men".

-Chris

P.S. They better start crackin' on a X3 right away!

Also..here's some interesting trivia for ya. In the scene where Mystique is finding out where Magneto is being held she is scrolling through a bunch of names, the name above Lensherr, Erik (Magneto) is LeBeau, Remy...aka "Gambit"...nice little touch there, I didn't get a look at the other names there, but there might be more allusions there. Another cool thing is in the scene where the security guard is in the bar, there is a TV on in the background with a guy named Hank McCoy talking...Hank McCoy later becomes known as "Beast". Pretty cool huh...
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X2: Mutation Moves On
MaxBorg8921 December 2005
After the success of the first movie, Bryan Singer brings the X-Men back to the screen. He has stated X2 is the X-version of The Empire Strikes Back. He's not totally wrong: like Empire, X2 is darker than its predecessor, characters are developed and dealt with in a more mature way, and the foreboding climax is quite shocking indeed (there's even a "I am your father"-style revelation concerning Wolverine's past, which is given more space here than in the first chapter). In fact, the movie could have been named X2: Humanity Strikes Back.

That's right, this time it's the "ordinary" people who are raising hell, in particular William Stryker (Brian Cox), a military scientist who takes advantage of the increasing paranoia surrounding mutants and has the POTUS himself approve his plan to take down the "monsters" once and for all. The war is about to begin, and with Professor X (Patrick Stewart) and Cyclops (James Marsden) gone, the only X-Men left to face Stryker are Jean Grey (Famke Janssen), Storm (Halle Berry) and Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), with some help from Rogue (Anna Paquin) and Iceman (Shawn Ashmore). They are eventually joined by a former employee of Stryker's, the blue-skinned teleporter Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming), as well as the most unlikely ally around: Magneto (Ian McKellen), who has managed to escape from the plastic prison he was locked up in (the break-out plays like the Marvel version of Hannibal Lecter's escape in The Silence of the Lambs, and yes, that is a compliment).

The plot is loosely based on the famous graphic novel God Loves, Man Kills by X-guru Chris Calremont (the villain and the alliance with Magneto are explicitly taken from that story), but Singer makes it all much more apocalyptic (Stryker was simply a preacher in the comic-book), while also having the time to take a look at some of the first film's subplots: the Wolverine-Jean-Cyclops love triangle is taken to a new, unexpected level and the Canadian mutant's forgotten "origin" starts getting slowly unveiled (Wolverine: "Who are you?"; Stryker: "Don't you remember?"). Jackman is the standout in this movie, as we finally get to see everybody's favorite X-fella lose it and make the bad guys regret they showed up in the first place. Those sequences are a treat for those who have grown up loving Wolverine and his dual, conflicted nature. Another actor who leaves a memorable impression is Cumming with his portrayal of Nightcrawler, one of the mutants people fear the most (he looks like a demon), but also the one who's most willing to forgive mankind for its mistakes.

So, with all the great acting, good writing and clever direction, no wonder X2 was voted the greatest comic-book movie ever before Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins were released. This is one superhero opus you won't want to miss.

9,5/10
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"X2" ("X-Men 2")- Arguably the best of the series. Thoughfull, exciting and exceedingly well-constructed.
With nine films thus far and at least two more on the horizon, all released over a near-twenty year window, 20th Century Fox's "X-Men" film franchise is something of a wonder in today's world of near- constant reboots and remakes. While it has by no means been a smooth ride, the fact remains that the long-running series has been a widely beloved and infinitely important one, especially when placed into historical perspective. Director Bryan Singer's original entry was one of the first major comic-to-film adaptations that convinced studios and audiences alike that comic-book movies could not only be mature and enthralling, but could be certified hits once again after the genre seemed to die-out in the 90's. And thus, a franchise was born and has stuck around ever since, through thick and thin.

It's almost a surprise, however, that one of the best entries in the entire saga came so early- 2003's follow-up "X2." With Singer once again at the helm, the film is in every conceivable way an improvement over his excellent first film- it's more thoughtful, more daring, more exciting... I think one could even reasonably say that not only is it arguably the greatest film in the franchise- it just might be one of the best comic-to-film adaptations of all time. Yes, it's that good.

Some time after the original film, a brainwashed mutant called Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) is sent on a mission to try and assassinate the President of the United States under the guise of being a martyr for Mutant Freedom. Despite the mutant being stopped, the troubling event gives Colonel William Stryker (Brian Cox) the political edge and backing needed to get approval for an "investigation" on Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters- but his investigation is actually an invasion, as he storms the school, taking many students hostage and forcing the remaining X-Men to flee. At the same time, Storm (Halle Berry) and Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) are sent on a mission to collect Nightcrawler and learn his motivation for the attack, Cyclops (James Marsden) and Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) are captured by Stryker's mysterious bodyguard (Kelly Hu) and the shape-shifting Mystique (Rebecca Romijn-Stamos) helps her former leader Magneto (Ian McKellan) escape from his high-tech prison. Soon, the remaining mutants (including Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Anna Paquin as Rogue and Shawn Ashmore as Iceman) are forced to team up with their former adversary to try and stop Stryker's scheme to use Charles and his powers to wipe out all of the mutants on Earth.

Given the film's nature as an ensemble piece, it's near-impossible to discuss the performances of each actor individually. But to keep it brief, everyone returning from the original is great in their respective roles. Special commendation goes to Hugh Jackman and his continued excellence in the role that helped to define him as a superstar and to Famke Jannsen, who gets a lot more attention this time around. They are by far the stand-outs of the returning cast. I also highly enjoyed Stewart and McKellen, who bring a sense of class and elegance to their roles and are incredible as always. The newest additions are also outstanding. Brian Cox is one of the greatest actors of our time, and his turn as Stryker is quite remarkable. He gives the character both an easily- "despiseable" sense of threat and dread, yet also a nice and subtle sense of pain and pathos. He's a cruel man, yet he has a past that might explain why he is the way he is. Alan Cumming is just magical as the frightened yet also amusing Nightcrawler, and there's a lot of great moments in his performance. And Kelly Hu makes for a fun and furious adversary as Styker's second-in-command "Lady Deathstrike."

Singer returns to direct from a script by "X-Men" scribe David Hayter and the writing duo of Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris. Singer got his start with hard-hitting thrillers like "The Usual Suspects" and "Apt Pupil", and I think that's part of what gives him an edge with the storytelling. He plays the stories straight and gives them a sense of real and honest threat, while also maintaining an emotional core that feels realistic despite the outlandish nature of the story and heavy Science-Fiction leanings of the material. He's also a very gifted visual artist with a slick and savage sense of composition and flow that lends itself well to the needs of high- concept action. His work on the series has always been nothing less than stunning. The script is very tightly written and juggles the plethora of characters well- everyone has their moment to shine, every major player has a clearly defined role and arc and the pacing is superb. Some wonderful work is done with the writing, and it's an honest shame that neither Hayter nor the writing partners of Dougherty and Harris were involved in the third entry.

The rest of the production is just marvelous. (Pardon the bad joke) Composer/co-editor John Ottman shapes some wonderful and memorable musical themes that compliment the tone and style perfectly, and he weaves together shots and sequences with a masterful touch. Cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel's visual palette is cool and visually arresting, and his work is just stunningly gorgeous. Some wonderful visual flair is given thanks to his talent. And production and costume design courtesy Guy Hendrix Dyas and Louise Mingenbach respectively is just fantastic. The film is made with nothing but top-notch work from top-notch artists.

As it stands, "X2" is easily one of the best if not the single best entry in the long-running series. Its phenomenal direction, sharp and thoughtful writing, beautiful production and outstanding cast weave an enthralling and thrilling cinematic experience that still stands tall well over a decade later. It's up there with the best of the best in terms of comic-book movies.

There's no other way to look at it- "X2" easily earns a perfect 10 out of 10.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best X-Men in the franchise!
ivo-cobra825 October 2015
X2 (2003) is the best sequel superhero of MARVEL comic book films! In my opinion X2 is the best superhero in the X-Men film franchise. This film is the bomb and it is my second favorite film alongside with X-Men, X-Men: Days of Future Past and X-Men: First Class. The effects are a lot of better than in other X-Men movies. The movie itself is great. I liked all of the X-Man trilogy a whole lot, but this one is by far my favorite!

This was the only movie that I watch the last one of the X-Men trilogy, it is really awesome movie. I would say by far the best one of the X-Men movies far way better than First Class, Origins Wolverine, The Wolerine, X-Men and X-Men: The Last Stand, the third X-men movie. My favorite fight scenes were fight between Scott Summers Cylops and Lady Deathstrike the Asian chick. She way played by Kelly Hu, she was really hot. William Stryker played by Brian Cox was fantastic he wanted to find and kill all the mutants by using Professor X. This time Magneto escapes from jail he and Mystique join forces and team together with the X-Men to bring and stop common enemy together. This time battle begins in Canada. After Wolverine left for Canada at the end of the first movie to find answers about his past. Here he did not find anything about his past, in stead of that he found an underground that was Stryker's secret lab for torturing Mutants.

In the first movie the final battle took place on Liberty Island in New York. In the second movie takes place the finale battle in Canada Alkali Lake. The third movie takes place the finale battle in San Francisco Alcatraz. The attack on Xavier school mutants academy was fantastic and how Wolverine killed most of Stryker 's men. Fight between Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike was fantastic. This movie was really the best one. Wolverine did defeat Deathstrike at the end. I love this movie. Patrick Stewart is the best Professor Xavier.

One of the best X-Men films ever made and my favorite team one, sorry Avengers but you got nothing on X2. The themes here are so awesome and are perfectly in line with X-Men, the character stuff is fantastic and the action was bad ass. The scene where Wolverines cutting through dudes in the X-Mansion was classic Wolverine. I loved the Nightcrawler in the White House so cool! I wish that I would go in the theater watching this film in 2003, by that time I just wasn't interested watching an X-Men movie, because I didn't understand the first movie, but I do now and It is my favorite superhero film now! I love Wolverine! he is a bad ass! Hugh Jackman is a great actor.

X-Men set the standards far as how a great comic supposed to be. This movie is the best out of the 3. Entertaining, fast paced, great storyline. Even if you're not an X-Men fan you will enjoy this. X2 is the movie X1 should've been. The action, storyline and CGI were all improved. Just an overall better, more complete movie.

I love this film and it is a bad ass film forever!!!

The plot about this film is: The evolution continues in the next thrilling adventure in the X-Men saga. In the wake of a shocking attack on the President, the X-Men face their most dangerous mission ever. They must stand united with their deadliest enemies to combat a menace that threatens mankind... and mutantkind.

X2 (often promoted as X2: X-Men United, or internationally as X-Men 2 is a 2003 American superhero film, based on the X-Men superhero team appearing in Marvel Comics, distributed by 20th Century Fox. It is the sequel to 2000's X-Men and the second installment in the X-Men film series.

10/10 Score: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: 20TH Century Fox, Marvel Studios Starring: Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen Halle Berry, Famke Janssen James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos Brian Cox, Alan Cumming Bruce Davison, Anna Paquin Director/Story: Bryan Singer Producers: Lauren Shuler Donner, Ralph Winter Screenplay: Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris, David Hayter Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 2 Hrs. 13 Mins. Budget: $110.000.000 Box Office: $214.948.780
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A few problems in an otherwise excellent film
Chandler8116 December 2004
They've done a hell of a lot right. That's my response to Singer's X-Men films; they're slick, funny, emotive and a real blast to watch. Without overdrawn character introductions and explanations, X2 launches right into seventh gear and doesn't let up.

Admirably, the film allows the majority of its characters a genuinely engaging storyline amongst the bigger picture, and although the story is not without its fault (using Cerebro as a major plot point two films in a row is like building the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi; been there, seen it before) it is certainly worthy of high praise. It's amazing that in just two films we already have a real appreciation for the relationships between such a considerable group of characters, and it is for the continued development of these relationships - and not the cool story line and action sequences - that makes me look forward to another X-film.

I would love to say that it's the casting that makes the films so brilliant - and it's true, the casting is great - but a couple of these characters have been woefully miscast. Iceman stood out for me, bringing an uncomfortable Backstreet Boy vibe to the role, and although his role in X2 is small, James Marsden just doesn't seem to have it in him to hold a commanding and authoritative position among the X-sters as Cyclops. In the first X-film he managed to at least stand beside the Wolverine with some great gags, but he's been left in the gutter for X2, and in the single scene toward the end of the film where Marsden is allowed to genuinely act, his emotional response feels awkward and forced. I am sure he is capable of more than this, and hopefully when X-Men 3 comes around he'll have more to work with. I've never been happy with Halle Berry as Storm, and she looks bored out of her skull in this film. I hope not to see her return.

Thankfully, most of Singer's new cast are admirable. The recast Pyro is great and Nightcrawler is fantastic. In fact, Alan is the only actor in the film who comes close to matching the quality of Jackman's Wolverine and McKellen's Magneto. These wonderful actors all appear to genuinely revel in portraying their characters. Janssen steps her performance up a notch too and it helps the film no end. I really hope to see her in the next film.

Ultimately, there are just a few slip-ups here in an otherwise classy and supremely entertaining film. With such an established canon of characters everyone is going to have their own opinion on how particular character should be portrayed, and for the most part X-2 does the job. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out and we'll see a sequel of equal or greater quality in a few years. I'm certainly excited at the prospect.
92 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X2
freewillyfan2 November 2019
X2 takes what the first film did and improves upon it. The story is very interesting and it's cool to see the heroes and the villain from the last film working together. This film is also darker then that first which I liked. There is more action, with the Wolverine in the school scene being a standout. The cast is really good again and there are some great new additions. Night crawler was probably my most favourite new addition. The villain was quite good as well. X2 is an example of how a sequel can be better then it's predecessor.

8.9/10
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Certainly a Step Up From the First One
Michael_Elliott8 June 2013
X2 (2003)

*** (out of 4)

After a mutant attempts to assassinate the President, the X-Men must unite to try to defend themselves against a military attack. There's really no point going into great detail about the plot because does it really matter in the end? There's certainly an entertaining story being told here but at the same time there's no question that it's best to just turn your brain off as the movie starts and sit back and just have a blast. There's no question that this sequel is a major step up on the previous movie for a number of reasons. For one, this one here doesn't need a lot of character introduction and instead we're just given one great action scene after another. Whereas the first movie had some good stuff, all of the action scenes are made ten times bigger and ten times better. This includes a wonderful sequence where the mutant school comes under attack from the military. This is preceded by an excellent opening where one of the mutants sneaks into the White House and takes out a number of men trying to reach the President. I'm certainly not going to give away the ending but it too is pretty exciting and full of wonderful effects. Oh yeah, just check out the sequence with the police to see another perfectly directed scene by Bryan Singer. There's no question that the director is much better here as all of the scenes contain some real power and manage to be quite original as well. The actors are all at the top of their game as there's no doubt that the casting was perfect for these roles. This includes Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Halle Berry as Storm and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as Mystique. X2 is certainly an above average summer blockbuster that's only real flaw is that it runs on a tad bit too long. Still, this here is very much worth seeing if you're a fan of the genre.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Of Same Eye-Popping FX
ccthemovieman-121 September 2006
Since the first movie, "X-Men," was famous for its great special effects, this sequel knew enough to deliver the same kind of eye-popping effects to please its fans....and it did! There are absolutely tons of stunning special effects, both visually and audibly. All of that means very few lulls in this 134-minute film.

Having said that, I do think the film needed some lulls. At over two hours of pretty intense action, it needed more breaks. It's just too much. Either that, or shorten the story.

Rebecca Romjin-Stamos, in her skin-tight outfit, is still a feast for us male eyes and Halle Berry and Famke Jannson aren't bad, either! Other familiar names from the first film are still here, such as Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Anna Pacquin and Ian McKellan.

It's a pretty interesting story and although they state evolution "as a fact" early on once again, they do have something unusual in today's films: a Christian character who was a good guy.

All in all, if you liked the first film, you'll like this.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but a little chaotic
rosscinema11 May 2003
I did enjoy this sequel I admit, but I think I'm the minority when I say that its not quite as good as the first film. The first X-men introduced us to a handful (Or two) of mutant characters and we learned about each one of them. The focus of the story was aimed at one thing but here in the sequel they have added so many more mutant characters that the main story is almost forgotten in a windstorm of action scenes. Anna Paquin as Rogue has hardly anything to do here except be frustrated at not being able to be intimate with her boyfriend. This film is definitely geared at a young audience with a lot of the characters being of the teen variety. Halle Berry as Storm is another casualty where her big mission in this film is to get children out of a tunnel. She is absolutely wasted and didn't director Bryan Singer have a better written character for this Oscar winner? The things that I think help the film for me is the mutant Mystique (Rebecca Romijn-Stamos) who is so sexy and strong that even when she's just standing there doing nothing you can't take your eyes off her. If they ever do a film with just her, I'm sold! Their is two performances that stood out for me and the first one is by Famke Janssen who plays Dr. Jean Grey. Its the best written role in the film and she shows real human complexities, she's not just a comic book figure. She's having problems with her telekinetic abilities because of the dreams she's been having and she's also torn between her relationship to two others. The other performance is by Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier who runs the school. He doesn't just posture and allow special effects to run his character, Stewart is too well trained an actor to allow that. In a scene at the end of the film his character is staring out a window reflecting on what has happened and what the future may hold. Even with all the impressive special effects in this film, that scene of Stewart leaves the most indelible image for me. I hope if or when they make another sequel that they try and keep just the main characters as the focus so the overall point of the film doesn't get lost like it seemed to in this film. Of all the new characters introduced here the one I liked the most was Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler played by Alan Cumming. Entertaining film but has way to much going on in such a short amount of time. Lets hope they tone everything down the next time.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
less cerebral, more conventional than the original
Buddy-5120 December 2003
`X2: X-Men United' is the widely admired sequel to `X-Men,' one of the finest movies ever to be derived from a comic book series. The original film, in addition to being a superb piece of action cinema, dealt with such weighty issues as prejudice and alienation, showing how groups of people who are seen as `different' from the norm are often ostracized from and mistreated by society as a whole. By creating an entirely new set of people to serve as its outcasts - in this case, mutants endowed with extraordinary physical and mental powers - the film was able to strip the issue of bigotry down to its barest essentials and to make us see anew just how great a part `irrational fear of the unknown' plays in determining the ways we treat others. Quite an accomplishment for a film that was designed, essentially, to be little more than a commercial popcorn entertainment.

This second entry in the series, though it has generally received more positive reviews than the first one, seems less concerned with message and theme and more concerned with action and plotting. Part of the reason for this may lie in the fact that the initial film, because it was introducing both the characters and the concepts to the audience, was forced by necessity to deal with the theme in a more direct and comprehensive manner. Perhaps when it came to `X2,' director Bryan Singer and writers Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris and David Hayter simply felt that the theme had been explored sufficiently in the first installment and that any further concentration on it would appear redundant. The problem is that, without that added intellectual and sociological dimension, `X2' starts to feel an awful lot like every other comic book action film - heavy on adventure and special effects and weak on character development and point. In fact, even with the added bonus of almost 30 extra minutes in this episode (it runs an overlong 134 minutes), many of the characters in the film do little but stand around and look helpless while a select few run around saving the day and getting all the valuable screen time.

There's a wonderful scene about halfway through the film in which a teenage mutant boy `comes out' to his genuinely astonished parents, informing them that their `ordinary, average' child (whom they had just considered `highly gifted') has been harboring a deep dark secret within himself, a revelation that no parent would ever want to hear and no child would ever want to have to make. The reaction of both stunned disbelief and reluctant acceptance (`We still love you no matter what you are') on the part of the boy's family speaks to anyone who has had to face a similar situation in his own life. `X2' could use more scenes like this one to help the audience connect better with both the characters and the events taking place on screen. And it was scenes like this one that made the original `X-Men' soar as a movie, for that film really seemed to be able to zero in on universal aspects of human nature. `X2' doesn't do nearly as impressive a job in this regard.

Every so often, `X2' feels as if it too is getting ready to expound on one of its potentially intriguing themes - as when the President of the United States has to decide whether to take draconian action against what he believes may be a `terrorist' organization among the mutants - only to have the concern fizzle in a welter of action movie clichés. After all, what could be more pertinent, timely or relevant to today's world than the threat of terrorism and the potential for civil rights abuses arising from the fear it causes? Instead of making this premise the crux of their movie as they should have, the filmmakers drag all the characters over to some secret underground complex next to a snowbound lake to do battle with a pretty conventional villain and have them indulge in all the explosions, gun battles, kickboxing fight sequences etc. that are the standard accoutrements of any self-respecting modern day action film.

People seem to be enamored of `X2,' even more, perhaps, than they were of the original `X-Men.' I wish I could count myself among them. But as one who genuinely loved the original, I must say that I am less than enamored with this particular installment. I may be a minority dissenting voice in this regard, but I view `X2,' for all its special effects wizardry, as a disappointing missed opportunity, a film that fails to develop on a deeper level the great themes that were laid out for it in the original. I have my fingers crossed for `X-Men 3.'
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You picked the wrong house, Bub"
obiwan20054 May 2003
"X-Men" is responsible for reviving the once dead Super-hero genre of movies. Since then, we've seen Spider-Man and Daredevil protecting the streets of New York while accomplishing box-office success. But 'X-Men', to me, is still the best Super-hero movie since Batman. So it will be rather difficult to achieve the same kind of success with a sequel, right? This is the first 'part 2' sequel from the super-hero genre since Batman Returns. So it's sort of testing the waters, on Hero staying power. 'X2' continues right where the first left off. Wolverine arrives back from his trek in Canada,at Xavier's school for mutants. Magneto is still in a plastic prison for his attack on Liberty Island. And all is right for the mutant world. But not for long. A mutant named 'Nightcrawler', attacks the president by infiltrating the white house with his teleportation powers. Which causes civil unrest in the country. Gen. William Stryker finds out about Professer X's mutant academy, and uses the attack on the president as a means to invade it. Here groups of mutants are seperated, but they find out about Styker's plan to destroy every mutant on the planet using Professer X, and a secret weapon. This situation calls for the X-Men and Magneto's (you may have guessed, he escaped) Brotherhood to unite to save the mutant population. While not exactly better than the first, it is better than most original movies. It starts off wonderfully, like the first movie never ended. The production design was consistant with the first movie, unlike the Batman franchise. And the action was superb and top-notch. My only problems are some characters dont get as much screen time as they should, Cyclops for example is only in the movie for about 20 minutes. But he does make the best of it. And the character 'Lady Deathstryke' should have been more developed. She hardly spoke at all. But the biggest problem (while still small) is the movie is a bit anti-climactic. It does have a climax, but a bit toned down for the X-men. Just a bit. Other than that, its an exciting story with a very brave ending. Everyone gave a good preformance. Most notably, Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler) and Aaron Stanford (Pyro). The movie progressed the X-Men storyline very well (unlike the Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers. I can't wait to see whats in store for us X-fans, in X3

RATING: ***out of****
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flawed but better than the usual no-brain summer blockbusters
bob the moo3 May 2003
Following an assassination attempt on the President of the USA by a mutant, General William Stryker is ordered to take action against the mutants. Using information gleamed from Magneto, he attacks the X-mansion, taking some prisoners and scattering the rest. Wolverine, just returned from the hunt for his past, escapes with Pryo, Iceman and Rogue and sets out to meet up with Storm and Jean. As the full extent of Styker's plan becomes clear, the X-Men have no choice but to join forces with Magneto to defeat him.

I have to be honest I say that every year I get sucked in by the hype machine that surrounds the summer blockbusters. Most of the time I am let down (Jurrasic Park 3, Planet of the Apes – the list is long). This summer looks different with this and the Matrix films to look forward to and X2 was the first one I came to. I enjoyed the first film and immediately noticed that it's strength had been lost in this sequel. Here the running time is over two hours and the central plot includes a lot more side issues than the first. In one regard this is good because there is much to hold the interest. However it also means that the film doesn't all work – most of it does but a lot of it feels abandoned or incomplete. Wolverine no longer is the focus as he was in the first, and this is a loss. His story is the most interesting to many people but he isn't allowed as much as he deserves. However he fares better than Rogue and Cyclops who barely have anything to do.

The central plot is good and has enough twisting to keep you entertained – only the odd subplot appears to be on a hiding to nowhere. The action scenes are good on the whole. The opening assassination attempt is very exciting and the storming of the mansion is solid. The climax of the film with Wolverine is a little disappointing thanks to MTV style editing making the fight unclear. Although some people have complained about it being action light, I think that is missing the point. The film is more about the plot and the characters than just the action. So we do have lots of dramatic scenes without action but they still work as they are building a wider story.

The film is a lot less funnier than the first and hence a little less enjoyable on a surface level. Mostly this is due to the shift of focus off Wolverine and his lines. There is still some humour but too much of it is ill-judged (in the middle of Iceman `coming out' to his family – an emotional point – his mother says `have you tried NOT being a mutant' – didn't work for me). Happily the darker side of the film is stronger and makes this change of tone feel deliberate rather than a loss of humour. Singer directs well overall and uses his budget well – only the fight between Wolverine and Oyama was one part where I felt he had over stretched his reach a little. He has nice touches as well – like including stuff for the harder core comic fans (eg Colossus at one point). Also there are modern day parallels to be had in the script that are a little bit less than flag waving.

The cast really help this film though. Jackman may not be the central focus for this film but he is the centre of every scene he is in. Stewart and McKellen both do very good work here and really contribute to the feeling that this is more than a dumb blockbuster. Berry is OK but on at least one occasion her breasts seemed to be used to greater effect than her character. Janssen comes on a lot and her struggle with her changing powers is well portrayed. Romijn-Stamos has a much bigger role and her character is used well. Paquin and Marsden are AWOL even when onscreen but Cumming is a good addition. Cox is the film's greatest addition and he doesn't allow Stryker to become a carton bad guy at any point. I really like Kelly Hu and was sad t see her have little to do. In fairness she manages to make a good impression without more than a line in the whole film but her final fight is a little disappointing.

Overall this is a superior summer blockbuster. The way it tries to carry so many subplots and side characters causes it to become very weak and times and not all of it works very well but it is still good for what it is. The change in tone from the first film will put some off but I enjoyed it and found the story to be well supported – however for X3 I hope that this ensemble feel is cut back a little and a smaller core of characters allowed to develop well rather than a lot of them developed a little.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has the most depth of the trilogy
Wuchakk10 April 2012
I think the X-Men films have been so popular because the X-Men dare to be different. The concept of the X-Men strays far from superhero conventions. If you approach the X-Men films thinking you're getting something akin to Superman, Spider-Man or Batman, forget it.

The unique concept of the X-Men is that humanity is starting to evolve to the next level and humans all over the globe are starting to manifest superhuman powers from the mutant "X" gene. Two mutant leaders, who are also old friends, take highly contrasting positions. Charles Xavier starts a school for mutant youths in upstate New York. His attitude is positive and his goal benign. Eric Lensherr or Magneto, on the other hand, is fed up with the paranoia of non-mutants. He starts a "Brotherhood of Mutants" with a clear attitude of superiority. And, as they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

You could say that Xavier takes the approach of Martin Luther King Jr. while Magneto goes the route of Malcolm X, an interesting comparison.

Although everybody has their favorite, I feel all three films in the original trilogy are of the same general quality - "X-Men" (2000), "X2: X-Men United" (2003) and "X-Men: The Last Stand" (2006).

"X2" is generally considered the best of the three and goes deeper into the conflict of Xavier's school, Magneto's Brotherhood and the US Government's increasing involvement, as laid out in "X-Men." More mutants are introduced. On Xavier's side: Nightcrawler, Colossus and Shadowcat. On the villain side: Lady Deathstrike and Government agent William Stryker.

"X2" has the most depth and features numerous interesting character-defining moments along with great action scenes, like the one between Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike near the end. There's also a particularly notable clash when Wolverine and others are forced to confront Federal agents as they storm Xavier's school. In other words, the US Government becomes the proverbial "bad guys." Take note how Wolverine shows no mercy.

Unfortunately, the film overstays its welcome and goes on and on well after Wolverine's fight with Deathstrike, but I'm not complaining. I like the emphasis on character and the way the film eschews moronic "blockbuster" conventions.

GRADE: A-
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have you tried not being a mutant?
BA_Harrison28 March 2014
Brian Cox plays mutant-phobe William Stryker who plans on eliminating all of the world's genetic aberrations with the unwilling help of Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and his amazing Cerebro machine. In order to defeat Stryker, the X-Men must team up with the villainous Magneto (Ian McKellen)—but can they really trust him? (answer: of course not!).

I've got to hand it to director Bryan Singer: even though X-Men 2 was apparently intended as an allegory for the gay community's struggle for acceptance, there's nothing limp-wristed about its execution, the film more than delivering in the thrills department. Upping the ante in terms of jaw-dropping action set-pieces, but not at the expense of an intelligent, well-written script, this super sequel manages to be both bigger and better than the first, a hugely entertaining box-office belter from start to finish.

8.5 out of 10, rounded up to 9 for the sexy trio of Halle Berry, Famke Janssen and Rebecca Romijn.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Longer, Better, Louder, and More Charming…The Series Takes Off
LeonLouisRicci2 October 2015
Following the Success of the First Movie, This, The Sequel was Awarded a Bigger Budget and it Shows From the First Frame. The Digital Effects Also Improved.

As Everyone Knows This CGI Stuff Exponentially Grows at a Fast and Furious Pace. The Same can Be Said About the Overall Look and Feel to the Second Installment that Only Improves on its Predecessor.

As a Result, the Follow-Up is One of Those that Can Say, Without Hesitation, That the Sequel is Even Better than the Original. All of the Popular Characters Return and Some New Ones are Added and Contribute to a More Rich and In Tone a More Self-Righteous, or At Least Self-Conscious Message.

The Acceptance of Mutants Into Society as a Metaphor for the Gay Rights Movement is Anything but Subtle at Times. Iceman's Mother Asks..."Have you ever tried to NOT be a Mutant?" Nuff Said.

Along with Magneto, There is Now Brian Cox as a Nasty Nazi Like Experimenter on Mutants that is Creepy and Criminally Insane and Even Sadisticly Tortures His Own Son Because He is a Mutant. On the Good Guys Side, Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) is Introduced and Plays a Major Role in a Charmingly Stunning Performance.

Fans of the Franchise, the Comic Books, and Superhero Movies Will Not Be Disappointed and the String of These Things, Thanks to the Wow of This Sequel are in for More X-Men. This Series is Just Getting Started.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By the powers, they actually got it right this time!
Boba_Fett113816 March 2004
"X-Men" was a bit of a disappointment to me. Don't get me wrong it was entertaining and fun but it didn't had the right comic book/cartoon feeling to me. "X2" is an huge improvement and it really surprised me how good this movie was! One of the surprises of the year!

Advantage of "X2" is that it doesn't have to waste time on character introduction because it begins were "X-Men" had ended. As a result the action starts right away! And what an action this movie has, the opening attack of Nightcrawler is truly spectacular and an achievement in movie making. The movie has many, many more spectacular fights of which you never get bored and that are all done wonderfully.

But not only the action has improved. Also the character have improved in a major way. Storm and Jean Grey have finally become much more interesting and had a bigger role to play, especially Jean Grey plays an important part this time.

Also the story has improved a lot. It is a much more interesting story compared to the first movie and it actually has the same feeling as the comics/cartoons, something the first movie was also lacking. I also like how they "teamed up" Magneto and Mystique with the x-men this time.

Another thing that had improved was the music. I'm sorry to say but Michael Kamen's score for "X-Men" was simply not good and didn't fitted the movie. John Ottman's "X2" score suits the movie much better and even gives it a more "superhero" feeling.

So all in all there are only improvements and there isn't much negative to say.

Great action, great characters, great story, great movie! Bring on part 3...and 4 and 5 and... See it, even if you didn't liked the first one very much, this movie is an huge improvement.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DULL
filmbuff19708 July 2003
After a good opening sequence,the movie follows the route of a big budget remake of the first. Only i found this less than exciting infact i found it boring. A film should never cost this much and be dull. But i have to say the movie is tedious. The dam scenes look poor compared to ones in Force Ten From Naverone. The action is lukewarm at best. Patrick Stewart might as well be playing Picard,spot the difference. Only Hugh Jackman and Alan Cummings deserve any credit. All talk and no action. One Boring Movie.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.