Meet the Fockers (2004) Poster

An extension of the original film done bigger but to lesser effect
bob the moo11 March 2008
Firmly part of the circle of trust, Greg Focker is planning his marriage to Dina and has put off a big family get together for as long as he can. With no further excuses, Greg and Dina join Pam and Jack as they take their RV down to Florida to meet the Focker family. With an eye very much on his bloodline, Jack is keen to judge his future son-in-law by his parents, which spells problems when he finds himself living with two very liberal and touchy-feely Fockers.

I'm in my thirties now and it probably is not very impressive that I can put words together in a basic sentence. Whereas for a two year old it might be a real surprise if they were to discuss their opinions on political matters as such with you. What is the difference? Well it is simply one of expectation. Coming to the subject of films, expectation can often make or break a film, with perhaps a poor Pauly Shore movie being better received by viewers than a poor Spielberg film partly because you expect that standard from the former but more from the latter. So it does help this film that with the very title you are informed that you are not about to witness the sharpest of comedies.

With this in mind I went in with a forgiving eye, just hoping for laughs but I was not really prepared for how most of the film is unimaginative and base. In the first film we had Greg contrast with stern father Jack and hilarity ensues; here we have the same setup again but this time Greg is replaced as a device by his parents. What this means is that the film essentially aims at the same low targets as the first film and mostly hits them. To avoiding being too boorish on this subject I will admit that moments are funny and that the casting was a nice try but mostly I just found it obvious and dull. Toilet humour, a retread of the CIA stuff and so on supposedly provide the comedy while the drama is the same superficial relationship stuff as before.

The cast mostly do their best to try and lift it. Stiller mugs along well enough but the real fun (such as it is) comes from De Niro and Hoffman. The former more or less just does his stuff again but is enjoyable enough, while the latter is at least having fun with a silly character. Streisand and Polo have lesser roles but still have a bit of fun, while poor Danner is just a plot device to try and the give the film some sort of centre. Cameos from Wilson and Nelson don't add much to proceedings and don't even get me starting on the annoying Pickren twins who are not only irritating but made more irritating by the way the film overuses them, apparently in the belief that "Little Jack" is funny and/or cute when really he is neither. Roach's direction is nothing short of pedestrian – even the choice of theme music is obvious and easy.

Overall then this is a film that people who really liked the first film will enjoy. Those that just "liked" it may find that they didn't like it enough to watch it twice, which is what is happening here. The cast play it up as much as they can but really this is just an extension of the original idea done bigger but to lesser effect.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those In-Laws
bkoganbing16 September 2016
In Meet The Parents Ben Stiller had to win the trust of Robert DeNiro and Blythe Danner the parents of his girl friend Teri Polo, that famed 'circle of trust' in the Byrnes family. Now the whole family is going to Florida where Stiller's parents the Fockers have a palatial estate and ideas that definitely run counter to those espoused by DeNiro.

That opposition is the basis of the wonderful comedy in this sequel to Meet The Parents. With the casting of Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand as Stiller's parents, Meet The Fockers is as funny, maybe funnier than the original film.

A whole lot of Focker family secrets are exposed in this comedy and with three of the biggest movie names in the past 40 years in the cast there was definitely built in box office. DeNiro, Hoffman, and Streisand show some incredible comic timing in this film.

There's nothing these two families agree on. Even down to the fact that Hoffman's a dog person and DeNiro a cat person is humorous material. The cat turning on the dog in the DeNiro/Danner trailer is a memorable scene.

Another favorite of mine are the touch football sequence. I doubt Kennedy family touch football was ever like this. There's also a memorable encounter with a Barney Fife like deputy where DeNiro, Hoffman, and Stiller all go to the pokey. Oddly enough Danner and Streisand hit it off well. Streisand is a sex therapist and makes good money doing it as we see by the way the Fockers live. In fact Hoffman though a lawyer became a stay at home dad. That really gets super macho DeNiro's dander up.

Fans of any and all of the players here should make Meet The Fockers a must for your viewing list.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A different kind of comedy than Meet the Parents
BrandtSponseller30 April 2005
Series note: As this is a direct continuation of Meet the Parents (2000), it is recommended that you watch that film first. It gives necessary background exposition and characterization for this film.

Gaylord "Greg" Focker (Ben Stiller) and fiancée Pam Byrnes' (Teri Polo) wedding is fast approaching, and their parents still have not met each other. So Greg and Pam fly from Chicago to New York to meet her parents, Jack (Robert De Niro) and Dina (Blythe Danner), before heading off with them to Miami to meet his parents, Bernie (Dustin Hoffman) and Mother Focker Roz (Barbara Streisand). The problem is that the Byrnes are staid, conservative (though slightly crazy) types who would never think of showing public affection, while the Fockers are still hippies--she is a sex therapist for elderly couples and he's a lawyer who became Mr. Mom once Gaylord was born. Can Gaylord keep his parents reined in enough to not cause Jack blow his lid and try to stop the wedding? Although I didn't think Meet the Fockers was quite as funny or successful as Meet the Parents, it's still funny and successful, with a bit less of an emphasis on nonstop outrageous humor and a bit more of an emphasis on the often amusing complexities of extended family relationships.

If you've seen Meet the Parents first--and you should--some of the material, such as Gaylord's job, jokes based on the "Focker" name, and even Jack's background and disposition will have less of an impact, which initially partially depends on novelty and surprise. Additionally, director Jay Roach and the writing team of James Herzfeld, Marc Hyman and John Hamburg telegraph quite a few of the punch lines. For just one example, it's obvious that something is going to happen to Gaylord's rental car in New York as soon as we hear him opt out of purchasing insurance, blowing it off as a "scam" to make money.

On the other hand, Roach and crew make it clear from the start that they're not exactly shooting for the same style of film as Meet the Parents. This is evident from the beginning, which cleverly pokes fun at Meet the Parents' "gradually going to hell in a handbasket" style by having everything go exactly right.

Roach aims for classic scenarios of families colliding that have surprisingly serious subtexts (and in the real world, these kinds of situations do have an attendant humor, at least when we're not right in the midst of them). Every family tends to have its own customs and norms, its own take on ethics, etiquette, politics, religion and so on. Naturally, when we try to merge families through marriages, uncomfortable, often embarrassing, and frequently tense situations abound. Aside from the humor, this is the crux of Meet the Fockers.

Another important subtext that occurs in various guises through the film (and for which the potential was there in Meet the Parents even if it wasn't capitalized on in quite the same way) is opening up to "free", honest expression of one's thoughts, feelings and desires versus showing a "proper" public face. This is particularly amusing and poignant in the case of Jack, whose job involved obtaining honest expression, but who is the strongest case of putting on a false public face--to an extent that he's bought into the persona himself. In a way, Roach and crew are suggesting that if we can really reach that ideal self-expression, maybe those family mergers, and even other kinds of cultural encounters (such as the Fockers' run-in with the police) could proceed more smoothly.

So it's not so important whether Meet the Fockers is as funny as Meet the Parents. Roach isn't just trying to make you laugh, even though he does so frequently. Despite all the comments in others' reviews about sex-oriented humor (how could you not expect that in a film with a title like this?), or general "low-brow" humor, the comic situations here are more sophisticated in many ways than a typical "outrageous" comedy. That means that you're not going to laugh out loud, with tears streaming down your face, as often as you're going to be sitting there with a big smile on your face watching scenarios such as Bernie trying, and mostly succeeding, to hold on to his hippie ideals no matter what the short term costs. This is more a humor of slightly exaggerated but realistic folly, played fabulously by a stellar cast.
42 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics are wrong, this movie is funny
christian12322 December 2004
After convincing his fiancée's parents to allow them to marry, Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) now has to deal with what happens when her ex-CIA father Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) meets his own wacky ex-hippy parents, played by Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand.

I really wanted to see this film when it was first announced. The original was very funny and it had a great repeat value. However, the reviews started coming in and they were all negative so I was a little discouraged. I still went to see it and it turned out to be very funny. The critics really need to lighten up since they turned away a fine comedy. Sure, some of the gags are old and tired but they still work. They use a lot of "Focker" jokes and of male nurse jokes sob that kind of got annoying but it wasn't an overload either. The story is pretty much the same as the first one except now Greg's parents are thrown into the mix and nothing ever goes right. The writers came up with a bunch of different, funny situations and some of them were recycled while others were new.

The cast is great and they help move the film along nicely. The best was clearly Dustin Hoffman as Greg's dad. He was hilarious and fun to watch on screen. Ben Stiller was okay but his uptight character role is kind of getting annoying. Robert De Niro also gives a funny performance and he is now forgiven for appearing in Godsend. Barbara Streisand was surprisingly funny and bearable. I usually cannot stand her but she was alright in the movie. Blythe Danner gives a decent performance, nothing really special. Teri Polo was the only miscast in the movie. She just didn't fit or look well next to Hoffman, Stiller and De Niro. Owen Wilson makes a cameo and it was decent, a little unnecessary though.

Jay Roach directs and he does a good job with the movie though it was a little too long. 115 minutes is kind of long for a comedy and because of the long running time, the film starts to bore around the end. They should have taken some things out to keep the film shorter and interesting. I also didn't like the character little Jack. He was the grandson of Jack (De Niro) and he was very annoying. The addition of the baby character was unnecessary and it kind of brought the film down. Compared to the original, the first one is funnier and more enjoyable. The second one is still pretty funny but it doesn't have a good repeat value. However, the film is still worth checking out in theaters. In the end, please ignore the critics and check this film out in theaters. Rating 7/10
143 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We've Been "Focker-ized"!
Radio_Lady20 December 2004
"Meet the Fockers" sounds like "Meet the f-u-u-…". Oops! Can't say that because of FCC guidelines. Just the same, the title pretty much describes the level of the humor in this Ben Stiller comedy. But that's redundant because it IS a Ben Stiller movie. Clearly my expectations for this movie were not high and, maybe because of that, I found "Meet the Fockers" quite funny.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a movie for everyone. First off, the writers did not miss a single opportunity to play off of the name "Focker". It's silly and gets a little old but it somehow works with the other repetitious low-down gags.

Focker is the family name for Greg (Focker), Ben Stiller. The funniest Fockers, however, (now I'm doing it) are Greg's parents Bernie and Roz, a loose and liberal Florida hippy couple still living in the last century and enjoying every minute of it. Dustin Hoffman, as Bernie displays a previously unrevealed talent for over the top comedy. Fitting perfectly with Hoffman's Bernie, is Barbra Streisand as Roz Focker, reminiscent of the "zaftig" Lainie Kazan. Bernie is a yesteryear lawyer who has not practiced since who knows when. Roz is the main breadwinner from her business as a sex therapist to the elderly.

Greg is not too eager to reveal his parents' true nature to his fiancée's parents as they all come to visit to get to know one another better. Teri Polo nicely plays Greg's fiancée Pam. Robert DeNiro and Blythe Danner play her stiff and straight parents, Jack and Dina Byrnes. Oh – also add in some baby low-brow by Spencer and Bradley Pickeren, two adorable twins playing Little Jack.

So, go low, go loose -- or don't go at all -- but if you like Ben Stiller, go see "Meet the Fockers". Dustin's antics will crack you up and you'll enjoy Barbra back on the big screen after so long. Rated a B+.
164 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Hilarious Sequel – Be Ready for a Non-Stop Laughing Mode
claudio_carvalho11 November 2005
In this very hilarious sequel, Gaylord Myron Focker (Ben Stiller), his pregnant fiancée Pamela Byrnes (Teri Polo), his future father-in-law and retired CIA agent Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) and his future mother-in-law Dina Byrnes (Blythe Danner) travel to Florida to visit Greg's parents, Bernie Focker (Dustin Hoffman) and the sex-therapist Roz Focker (Barbra Streisand). The dispute between the "Focker-ized" and very "Zen" family and the rigid and paranoid Jack Byrnes made me burst in a "non-stop laughing" mode not only along the movie, but also after, recalling the funny scenes and gags. The talent of Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro as comedians is very well-known by the audiences, but Dustin Hoffman surprised me how funny he is. Barbra Streisand is also excellent, and the jokes with the English word "Focker" are great. For my surprise, there are IMDb users that hated this movie, probably bitter people without sense of humor that unfortunately we stumble in our lives. If the reader of my simple review wants to laugh, see this movie. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Entrando Numa Fria Maior Ainda" (a slang, that means "Getting into a Bigger Trouble")
38 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the original, but its' still a satisfying sequel!
max-21719 December 2004
MEET THE FOCKERS made me laugh a lot. It probably has more laughs than the original, but the laughs aren't as big or as fresh or as subtle. And as sequels go, it contains many scenes that are mere variations of the original: the dinner gone wrong, the sports competition gone wrong, the pet gone wrong, the Owen Wilson cameo, the "focker" puns, etc. But many of the variations are quite inspired. Thanks to the terrific cast. De Niro, Stiller, Hoffman and Streisand all look like they're having a great time. Each is given a scene or two to really shine; De Niro and Hoffman fare the best. A child actor's also been added to the cast, and he's a scene-stealer. I just wish Blythe Danner (Mrs. Byrnes) and Teri Polo (Pam Focker) were given more to do. But, as entertaining as I thought the movie was, expect many critics to be turned off or pretend to be turned off by the numerous toilet jokes. I say, flock 'em!
108 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as good as the original.
Analog_Devotee14 December 2021
Just as good the original, in my opinion. Any sequel-slack was ironed out with Dustin Hoffman's sidesplitting performance. I'm really surprised to see so many people find this an unworthy sequel... it's more of what made the original funny with just enough additions to keep it fresh.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Power Overcomes Some Comic Weaknesses
realangst18 December 2004
There are many movies where the performances are so good that the weaknesses of the movie itself are almost oblivious.

The casting in this film, bringing together the stars of the original with Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand as Greg aka Gaylord Focker's parents, is sensational.

While I admit that I believed I would read comments and reviews about the crudeness of the material, I believe the reason this is not a typically tragic Hollywood farce is due to the strength of the performances and the interaction of the characters.

As you know, the premise of the movie is very simple. Prior to the wedding of Greg and Pam, the two families will meet. In typical Hollywood sequel fashion, we already know that the Byrnses are somewhat reserved, set in their ways. So it is no surprise that the Fockers are almost the complete opposite.

Hilarity ensures, some crude, some overtly sexual. But the cast is skillful and it plays more like a comic version of "Closer". You will believe that Bernie and Roz (amazing performances by Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand) are Greg Focker's parents. Not only is their interaction genuine, their love for their child is as well. Part of Greg's embarrassment is the knowledge of his parents' "quirks" and how different they are from the Byrnses. Ben Stiller aptly conveys this while not backing down from his love for his parents.

Meanwhile, stern Jack Byrnes scans the Fockers for clues to prove why he should not like them, therefore not allowing his daughter to be married into that family. His design of the RV is classic Jack Byrnes. What is an improvement in this film, is that Jack discovers some things about himself and his relationship with his wife and daughter that change him. This may be the funniest performance in Robert DeNiro's career.

Throughout the film, there are themes that everyone has experienced but most of all, how important love is. The love of another and the love of family and friends. There is a very good example of this in a scene between Teri Polo and Ben Stiller, after some new information is exposed that could possibly tear them apart once again.

All in all, when you know the cast is having a good time, the audience does too. I will be seeing this one more than once.
189 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
His first word...
Pjtaylor-96-13804410 August 2020
'Meet The Fockers (2004)' may be similar in premise to its predecessor, but it feels distinct enough to work as a sequel and is the natural extension of the series' core concept. Pitting in-laws against in-laws is a solid idea, especially when you have a cast as good as this. I mean, who doesn't want to see De Niro get body slammed by Hoffman? The picture is a good time throughout. It amps up the slapstick ever-so-slightly but it still remains relatively grounded and relatable. It's properly funny, too; it may actually be funnier than the first flick. Overall, it's a solid comedy with memorable characters and classic comedic beats. It's really enjoyable. 7/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One hilarious movie
the-movie-guy17 December 2004
In this sequel to 'Meet the Parents,' Gaylord Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) has finally invited his fiancée's parents, ex-CIA agent Jack Byrnes and his wife (Robert DeNiro and Blythe Danner) to meet his parents. Jack wants to know if Greg came from a good gene pool. Jack discovers that the Fockers are very strange. The Dad (Dustin Hoffman) is a hippie and retired lawyer, and the Mom (Barbara Streisand) is an open sex therapist. Jack begins to thinks this is not a good family for his daughter to marry into. Greg's parents are so proud of Greg that they have a wall of honor with Greg's ninth and tenth place sports awards. The two families try to become one family. This was one hilarious movie, which I laughed from beginning to end. This is proof of the old adage, that actors don't like to work with children and animals, because they stole the movie. The child spoke with sign language and had some of the best comedy scenes of the movie. The toilet scene with the cat and dog was just so funny. (Universal, Run time 1:30, Rated PG-13) (8/10)
37 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
buiger10 September 2006
I beg to disagree with most of the critics on this one. I actually liked this movie a little better than 'Meet the Parents', and it is very rare for me to prefer a sequel to the original. There was some good acting in this movie, which is no wonder given the caliber of the cast. Make no mistake, this was definitely not a masterpiece, the script could have been better and the last 20 minutes of the film are a little overdone and cheesy, but all in all a decent, entertaining movie.

One thing I found to be a little disturbing about this film is the message it sends, especially to the younger audience: 'It is wrong to be straight, to have strong principles and self-discipline (the Byrnes), whereas it is proper to have no inhibitions, no discipline, no job (somehow everybody is rich anyway) and the world is just a happy merry-go-round (the Fockers). Even coming from liberal Hollywood, this is still wrong.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculous, mean-spirited comedy wastes good cast
moonspinner5527 December 2004
Witless follow-up to "Meet the Parents" is full of slapstick chaos with poor continuity, strained gags, pets used as vulgar visual jesters, and a screaming toddler. Worse than that, the film has some of the worst writing, directing, and cinematography I've seen all year. Ben Stiller, his lipsticked-mouth always open in surprise and his eyes rimmed in black like a raccoon, makes certain his overly-pancaked face is in close-up at all available times; this must have been contagious, because the cameraman plasters the screen with everybody's mug, which wouldn't be so bad except that their confusion over the stupidity of the plot is magnified. Jokes are flayed around desperately in the hopes of hitting a target (even the end-credits joke-reel fails). Loud instead of funny, everything is underlined and then milked for a chuckle. There are terrible sequences and running jokes in this movie, jokes that are even out of character (like Robert De Niro and the strap-on breast). It doesn't work. As for that bawling infant, who also gets his fair share of close-ups: he learns to talk dirty, which really cracked up the audience I saw "Meet the Fockers" with. *1/2 from ****
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Want Some Laughs? Stay Home & Catch a Seinfeld Rerun
Danusha_Goska26 December 2004
I walked out after about ninety minutes in the theater.

"Meet the Fockers" didn't make me laugh once. There was some weak laughter in the crowded theater.

It was just so dumb, so ham-handed, so grotesque.

Even a funny set-up -- a baby gluing his hands to a bottle of rum -- was handled in such a ham-handed way that I couldn't find it funny.

A bunch of youngish males were sitting behind me, and they didn't laugh, either.

I hope that Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand make other movies soon. Heaven forbid that this should be the last movie for either one of them.

Oh, and by the way, why did two Jewish stars participate in a movie that so grotesquely stereotypes Jews? Hoffman and Streisand are a Jewish Amos and Andy routine here.

Ew. Just -- ew.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life-support machine for DreamWorks.
FilmSnobby15 January 2005
Like virtually all mainstream releases, *Meet the Fockers* is, of course, really too awful to warrant an amateur review: only the professionals should be forced to deal with the dreary task. But a movie whose cast includes Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, and Barbra Streisand would SEEM to invite discussion. Thirty years ago, such a cast would have indicated a Major Motion Picture. In 2005, I'm sorry to report that these living-legend actors have been inducted -- however profitably to themselves -- in the ongoing mission to Keep DreamWorks Afloat. The Stiller/De Niro "franchise" has officially joined the *Shrek* series as an anomalous money-maker for the studio. The creative bankruptcy of Messrs. Spielberg, Geffen, and Katzenberg resulted in the demise of both the TV and music units of the company; and as for the movie-wing of the operation, that creative bankruptcy has never been more clearly demonstrated than with *Meet the Fockers*.

But, as I've said, *Fockers* appears to be making a lot of box-office dough, so the sheer awfulness is likely to continue. Expect *Fockers 3* and maybe even a *Fockers 4*. (Expect the same for *Shrek*, too.) In fact, the sequels may go on and on until somebody over at DreamWorks finds a way to concoct a good movie. Or maybe Spielberg will occasionally drag himself into the director's chair and put the aging Toms -- Hanks or Cruise -- through the motions of the occasional spurious blockbuster.

I realize I've not talked much about the movie itself, but why bother? The first film of the series, *Meet the Parents*, at least had the chemistry between De Niro and Stiller, and an overall funny premise: the nice Jewish guy desperately trying to fit into the suburban milieu of a pathologically WASPish family. The Stiller character's all-too-human propensity for telling white-lie upon white-lie complicated his troubles and increased the comedy. In *Fockers*, Stiller and De Niro are curiously muted in their (few) scenes together. One wonders if they were getting along on the set. But on the other hand, the movie isn't focused on their interpersonal dynamic anyway, choosing instead to make De Niro the put-upon character, overwhelming him with the stereotypical "earthiness" (i.e., "Jewishness", I suppose) of the Focker parents. This diminishment of De Niro totally misses the point of what worked in the first movie, which is that he was a larger-than-life maniac whose expectations were so high that nobody, especially not Ben Stiller, could hope to match them.

As for Hoffman and Streisand, they bring nothing unique to their stereotypical roles: any pair of aging actors would have sufficed. The fact that they're introduced by way of an answering machine only cements their irrelevance. I even doubt that they've enhanced the box-office profits, as most people under the age of 30 scarcely know who they are, anyway -- Hoffman and Streisand haven't been major screen presences for some time. Which brings me back to De Niro: he had better play *King Lear* or its contemporary equivalent, and do it fast. One tires of watching this great actor continue to trash his legacy with these god-awful comedies. He needs to remind us that he was once considered the greatest screen actor since Brando. (But then, Brando ended up as a joke, too. Curse of *The Godfather*, perhaps?)

1 star out of 10.
24 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the first
scottw19@hotmail.com23 December 2004
This is an incredibly funny movie. I can't believe the lackluster reviews that this film has received. It's one of the most consistently funny films to come out in recent memory. I (and the rest of the audience for that matter) laughed hardily throughout. Dustin Hoffman, Robert Deniro and Ben Stiller are great. The female characters aren't given much to do, but give adequate performances. Not being a Streisand fan, I was a little apprehensive about her casting, but am pleased to say that she is very good in the role and stands toe-to-toe with hubby Hoffman. The movie is quickly paced and provides very little "down time" where the comedy bogs down. It's a great mix of slap-stick, witty banter, strong comedic performances, crude humor and even cutesy fowl mouthed toddlers. To me all these high brow critics need to lighten up. Comedies should be judged by whether or not they are funny and that's it. The bottom line with this film is that it's hilarious. All those critics are coming off as smug ass hoooooooooles.
107 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Geat idea for another sequel...
indy-3918 January 2005
Just saw MTF and got a great idea for a sequel... the Fockers and the Ryans go on vacation to Europe where they run into all kinds of zany characters... Kenneth Branagh as a schizo prince...maybe Gary Oldman as a excessively flatulent cab driver...what a pity George C. Scott has passed on, in drag he could have been the perfect Grandma Focker. Seriously folks, the people who paired Deniro and Hoffman are to be praised...just think if they had been around long ago perhaps they could have gotten Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde to write together... perhaps they could have written dirty jokes or, even better, subway graffiti. Anyone who doesn't see this movie for the disgrace that it is has no business writing about film. To take two actors of this caliber and waste them on a souped up TV sitcom... well lets just say the producers should never be allowed to ATTEND another film much less make one. Marlon Brando left Hollywood, stopped making films, retreated to a desert island, gained 500 pounds and pretty much made a joke out of himself when his acting career essentially was over... too bad Robert Deniro couldn't have done the same. An embarrassment for everyone involved...except Ben Stiller...for him this film represents the high point of his career. See a bootleg...films like this represent a bigger danger to film-making than pirating does.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
...If You Must
writers_reign28 January 2005
I didn't see the first film, Meet The Parents, and it doesn't seem that I missed much. I figured that Streisand had to be worth a look and she is, in fact she and Hoffman steal whatever there is to steal. The success of Robert de Niro has always eluded me and he does nothing here to convince me he is anything more than a journeyman actor at best. If a performance consists of pulling faces then yes, he's a great actor but I like a little more than that if anybody asks you. Teri Polo is unbelievable as Stiller's fiancé, by which I mean that I can't believe what anybody let alone Stiller would see in someone so wooden and unprepossessing. Okay there are some gags and some situation comedy and it's okay to see once but that's it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vastly inferior sequel has a few cute moments
sjmcollins-125 February 2005
(Spoiler) Meet The Parents was one of the funniest movies of the decade, as we witnessed put-upon everyman Ben Stiller terrorized by every guy's nightmare, the over-protective father-in-law, ready to believe the worst at all times, played famously by Robert DeNiro. There were a couple of slapstick scenes in the film that I still laugh at after numerous viewings, and much of the interaction rang true between Stiller and DeNiro. Nothing really rings true in Meet The Fockers, as the conflict between Stiller and DeNiro is replaced by Greg Focker's zany parents, played by Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand. Hoffman and Streisand play likable enough characters, but don't seem too likely to have raised a kid like Greg. Their over-sexed, ultra-liberal characters are kind of charming, but not really laugh out loud funny. Director Jay Roach then goes for the lowest common denominator--the cute baby. Jack is now overly obsessed with his grandson, and the movie continuously cuts to his reaction shots--he cries when Greg talks to him, he laughs when someone gets kicked in the groin, etc. He also says a profanity for his first word, and repeats it constantly. I found it kind of stupid the first time. You can practically see the kid's mother/father offscreen coaching him through the word. Ben Stiller repeats his Along Came Polly/There's Something About Mary/Meet The Parents persona, but he gets shoved to the background a little in favor of Hoffman and Streisand, and it costs the film big. Sequels are good, even great, when there's more story to tell--but this just solidifies the notion that comedies should just quit while they're ahead.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How many times can they make a focker joke in this sequel
ctfury2322 December 2004
This movie in no way did the first justice. When the writers sat down I think the only thing discussed was how many times they could throw the word focker in the movie. Gregs last name was a humorous topic in Meet the Parents, but it really falls flat in the sequel. Every two minutes they try to spin off a joke about focker or gaylord and it seriously got old in the first two minutes of the sequel. As for the rest of the movie it was incredibly unbelievable. The reason Meet the Parents was so successful is because the audience can relate to Gregs situation meeting the parents and the unfortunate situations that come about. If you plan on seeing this movie I really hope you still go to stitches every time you here the word focker and do not mind a mediocre sequel with cheap laughs. The only time I laughed during this movie is when some guy fell down the steps and spilled his popcorn.

And before I forget....If you cast a vote for this movie or any other please be realistic. Over 50% of the people who have casted a vote for this movie have given it a ten. How ignorant can you be. If you really think this movie is a classic I wonder how tough it was to grow up with an underdeveloped brain and would love to meet with you and discuss the brilliance that went into this movie. If you like the movie great, but don't skew the results so people actually think this is a classic. Save the 10 ratings for the Godfather, Shawshank redemption, braveheart, anything that didn't take a half an hour to write.
46 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
RIK-2210 August 2005
I only managed about the first 30 minutes of this movie, then couldn't take any more, so don't have too much to say, other than this film is terrible.

The jokes and humour in this film are so obvious, unsubtle and stupid they don't even bring a smile to your face. Each scene is contrived and false, it loses all coherence as any kind of competent film.

Of course there are no real rules for comedy other than a film needs to be funny, but it helps to have believable characters and plot, otherwise, awkward and amusing situations don't work. It looked like it was the first time Ben Stiller had ever met his parents.

Meet the Parents was mildly amusing, this was just rubbish. 1/10.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
De Niro as a comic lead? Why not!
kosmasp12 May 2007
So in the first movie you had Ben Stillers character playing the main player. Or hero if you will. He was the one who had to go through all the trouble. A journey as some say. This time around, it's time for Robert De Niro's character has to go on a journey. His character has to evolve.

And if you're fine with that idea, than you might enjoy the movie. Although the comic premise does promise many good things, not all are played out. But still it's funny enough. The new addition to the cast of the first movie fit in nicely. The Fockers (Dustin Hoffman and B. Streisand) are funny, although sometimes they do seem to overact a little bit. Of course they have to be the exact opposite of the Byrnes, because only then the humor works! It's fun, it's light, nothing more nothing less! :o)
More Ben Stiller Comedy... I Know I've Had My Fill
gavin694228 March 2007
Gaylord Focker and Pam Byrnes are ready to be married, but first they think their parents ought to meet. Picking up where the first film left off, we now have another set of parents just as quirky as the first, giving us double the insanity. For fans of the first film, this should be a treat!

For me, I'm getting my fill of Ben Stiller. He doesn't seem to really have a lot of range and his style isn't so amazing. What's the last great film he had? I loved "Dodgeball" and his cameos are always nice ("Happy Gilmore", for example) but he seems to play the same guy over and over (Gaylord Focker really isn't much different from the Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary").

Also, this film relies almost entirely on potty humor. Some people will really be happy about the humor, whereas I prefer a more witty and sarcastic film. Cats flushing toilets, sexual elderly people, fake breasts. Not my sort of thing, really.

The film was a good pace, so it was easily watchable even if it wasn't my style. And the addition of Dustin Hoffman to the cast was great. Robert DeNiro really runs the plot (I think he overshadows Stiller on many occasions), but Dustin Hoffman is the gem here. (In a recent review for "Stranger Than Fiction", I say much the same thing. But it's true -- Hoffman has a subtlety about him where he blends perfectly into his roles and seems more lifelike than the rest of the cast.)

Barbara Streisand was also nice, which is odd because she's Barbra Streisand. The rest of the cast was unremarkable (though I must give credit to the casting director or whoever found the Jorge character... great job).

If you're into Ben Stiller and/or "Meet The Parents", you'll get something out of this. If you're like me, you probably won't. I watched it because I was visiting my father, otherwise it would never have been on my screen. And I can safely say having seen it I wouldn't have been missing out.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the original--- this one is a true love story, with warmth, charm, and wit
bopdog28 January 2005
Great sequel---I didn't care for the original very much. It was too negative, too many of the 'jokes' revolved around frustration, mishaps, and pain. Not my scene! But this second one was VERY good! I was especially surprised, and pleasantly, by Barbara Streisand's performance. I actually liked her. A LOT. The rest of the cast was outstanding as well. 'Meet the Fockers' had lots of jokes, but wasn't the 'madcap' zany freak-fest the first tried (and failed, ultimately) to be. This was more of a sustained wit. It also has charm, grace, and warmth. I found that surprising, because it is marketed (at least here in the UK) more as a slapstick job.

It is not too much to say that this movie was actually somewhat of a love story--- and for the first time, I could actually see what the various characters might be seeing in each other. I was charmed, delighted, and completely won over. Good show!
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was more fun with just the Byrnes but it's a good sequel.
Boba_Fett113827 July 2009
"Meet the Parents" from 2000 was an unexpected hilarious and just great movie. It certainly was one of the most entertaining and fun comedies of recent years. A sequel was inferable but yet it took 4 years before "Meet the Fockers" hit the silver screen. Of course it's not being as good and hilarious as its predecessor, mostly because of the reason that it isn't very original and surprising anymore obviously but still "Meet the Fockers" manages to become a rather entertaining comedy to watch, without ever reaching the level of true greatness.

Biggest power of the first movie was Robert De Niro, who was taking a comical turn with his role as the worst father in law you can wish for as a guy. In "Meet the Fockers" the focus is obviously being more as well on the Fockers. Even though this means that Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand get to show their comical sides, that doesn't mean that the movie is not double as hilarious. one plus one isn't always two.

Still the movie has plenty of good comical moments in it. It's being original but most of the time it's also relying much on some of the running gags from the first movie. The movie at times gives too many winks as a reference toward the first movie, with as a result that this movie surely also isn't as much fun to watch once you haven't seen the first one.

It doesn't really attempt to throw in some more story this time and it's also again mostly about morals but this is just fine. It isn't a preachy movie and the fact that it doesn't have a too complicated story ensures that you can just sit back and enjoy this movie for what it brings.

A good comedy, as long if you're not expecting it to be as good as the first one.