Daredevil (2003) Poster

(2003)

1,052 Reviews
Directors cut so much better.
p.greenwood23 January 2005
When I heard about a directors cut to this movie I never imagined it would be so much better than the original release. Why must movie studios always feel they know better than the director. This film would have been much more successful had they left it alone, but by insisting on so many cuts and changes they shot themselves in the foot. All because they wanted a family friendly spider-man type film instead of the much more dark and violent world of daredevil. Every scene added to the film makes you wonder why they cut it in the first place. It isn't just about adding scenes though they have taken a couple out too. I can't imagine anyone who would miss the fireside love scene. I urge everyone who saw the theatrical cut to watch the directors cut. It isn't a perfect film but it's a more complete and enjoyable one. Also watch the documentary on the directors cut DVD and see one of the producers trying to defend the original release and then actually saying he thinks it is the better cut. I think he must be more blind than Matt Murdock!!!
144 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forget the theatrical version, buy the director's cut DVD instead!
KryptoniteCornCob1 December 2004
This review is for the Director's cut DVD of Daredevil. In all honesty, i liked the theatrical version of this movie. But now that i have seen the true version of this movie, the director's cut, i don't have any desire to watch the theatrical cut ever again. The director's cut is an improvement in every way. Everything makes sense now, and the characters are more fleshed out, which is a very good thing.

The DC is 30 minutes longer than the original cut, of which the new footage ranges from a whole new big subplot, and little things, that actually have more impact and and make the movie more understandable and better than you might imagine. The action scenes are way better also. The DC makes the movie into what it should've been in the first place before the studio screwed with it. I can't believe how much the studio hacked this movie up for theater..it is quite ridiculous. But now with the movie restored to it's original vision, i can fully enjoy it without the thought of something missing from it. In comparison, the only thing that the original DVD release has over this new DC DVD is it has a second bonus features/behind the scenes disc.

The DC DVD is one disc, and has a few movie trailers, a making-of featurette, and an all new audio commentary. Despite it's shortcomings in form of a second disc compared to it's counterpart, i'd choose the DC over the theatrical version any day. The DC is simply so much better. Forget what you know about the theatrical cut of the movie, and give this new DC version a chance..it is superior to the other version in every way. So give it a try, and i think you might be pleasantly surprised. Even those of you who hate the original cut.

My vote, in comparison: Theatrical version- 5.5 Director's cut version- 9.5

In closing, i'd like to thank the Director, the film editors, and everyone else who made this wonderful Director's cut DVD possible. I love the new version, and it's nice to see the Director's vision restored to this movie after nearly 1 1/2 years. Two thumbs up! R.I.P. Daredevil theatrical version!!
204 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
director's cut- do yourself a favor. See it
Daniel Deltondo16 January 2005
First of all, i was never a reader of the comics, and didn't know much about daredevil before venturing into the cinemas to see the original when it was released. At the time, there wasn't much action out and i like most of Ben Affleck's movies, so though i would give it a go. Although i liked the theatrical release ( but didn't love it) i still bought it when it came to DVD...and to be honest, when i watched it the 2nd time on DVD, i didn't think as much of it, as when i left the cinema.

So when i heard the directors cut was out, and people who hated the first release, but liked the 2nd one, i thought wow, i didn't mind the first, perhaps i will really like the new version. and guess what? I did ! Its absolutely fantastic. After the characters were fleshed out more, the storyline was more involved and filled in the plots- you actually cared about what happened and got more into the feel of being apart of what was going on in hell's kitchen.

If you watch the "featurette" : giving the devil his dues, you will understand that Mark Johnson the director, absolutely loves this material, loved the comic, and was disappointed himself with the theatrical release. He understood why the critics & fans alike didn't support it, and really wanted to fix the problems with this DVD. When will Hollywood studios & executives learn, a 100 minute movie, does not mean a better movie - and when will they learn that audiences DO want more than just action - we can think, you morons! And can hold our attention for more than 100 minutes. Here's a simple plan for your money making schemes - and this goes to Gary Foster ( producer who still says the theatrical version of daredevil is better) If you make a GOOD MOVIE, that gets good reviews, and that fans & critics enjoy, then more people will see it, more people will see it a 2nd time, more people will recommend it to friends, and that means a bigger audience, a repeat audience and bigger dollars for your pockets ! So while the first was a quick paced movie that made quick bucks, a longer - more thought-out MOVIE, would have garnered longer life at the box office.

in a word - RECOMMENDED !
169 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's like a darker, more violent version of "Spider-Man". Grade: B
practiced_bravado7 July 2004
That's why I think most critics hated this thing. It's not lighthearted fun like "Spider-Man" was, it's more adult-themed. I actually found it a bit more effective than Sam Raimi's superhero epic. Why? Because it wasn't campy and it didn't have cartoony special effects. The CGI in "Daredevil" is more photorealistic. I also loved the "Matrix"-like martial-arts incorporated throughout the film.

In fact, as far as darker-themed comic book movies go, I think "Daredevil" is a much better film than either of the first two "Batman" pictures were. I recently watched "Spider-Man" again on DVD and I've always had mixed reactions of it. I do think it works on the level of campy fun and for that I gave it a B Minus. But I think "Daredevil" is a more solid picture and I'd grade it with a B.

I like the look of the film, the washed-out colors make the movie look very 70's in certain scenes. Like "The Crow", the movie has an MTV mentality with rock and rap songs, but also has a love story as well. The sound design is awesome, if you have a good theatre sound system, "Daredevil" will take full advantage of it. I don't think Ben Affleck got credit when it was deserved. Along with Jennifer Garner, Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan, Affleck was perfect cast.

Anyhow, as much as I believe "Daredevil" is a much better film than "Spider-Man" was. I actually think "Spider-Man 2" is better than "Daredevil". The best comic book movie ever placed on film. It shows that a director can really improve on his work. I highly recommend that film to anyone. Well, the bottom line is: "Spider-Man" (B-), "Daredevil" (B) and "Spider-Man 2" (A). I hope you enjoyed my review.
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Director's Cut Version = Remarkable!
DUKEJBM9 December 2004
The director's cut is masterfully done. I really like fact that Matt/DD was more a tortured loner (no Priest confidant, no Elektra screw). The fight sequences are much better and much more complete. These two facts are what make the DC a better film. I do agree that having Matt walk with Elektra after that bizarre fight would've been a better idea. It would make the impact of her "death" more believable. In the DC, Matt only bonds with Elektra on two shallow occasions. He "plays" with her for three minutes in that silly sparing match and then walks her up to the roof and leaves her standing in the rain. So, why does she "wish you could see me tonight" at the ball? There is no depth or connection at all. The DC works well for most things but it really hurts the relationship aspect between Matt & Elektra.

Besides the relationship factor, this version is better. The fight scenes are vastly supperior. A must own on DVD.
131 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's True About The 'Director's Cut'
ccthemovieman-115 November 2005
First off, this was a more complete version of the DVD which came out earlier. In this edition, about a half-hour of new material was added to the disc (and what was shown at the theaters.) All reviews I read said it elevated this film from "fair at best" to "good." I agree. It made the movie much, much better.

Yeah, it's more far-fetched than the other superhero movies because here, the hero is a blind guy who, because of his blindness, has extraordinary hearing powers along with the rest of the usual Batman/Spiderman-type athletic skills.

As in most of the Batman films, this is a dark film. I think it would have been better had it lightened up a bit with a few jokes and a more wholesome female lead. Jennifer Garner is another one of these latter-day skinny chicks who is made to be tough-looking, tough-talking and tough-fighting. In other words: ridiculous. However, I will say she comes across a little more likable on the extended version. One more negative: the fight scenes go on a tad too long and are outlandish.

On the positive side, this may be the best-sounding DVD I own, at least up to ones I had heard up until this came out in January of 2005. Since the hero (Ben Affleck) has super hearing, this is emphasized in this movie and so you, if you have a 5.1 surround system, hear sounds from all speakers at almost times. It's awesome!

Affleck, meanwhile, is likable as the superhero and I liked the message he gives at the end about shunning revenge. Wow, you don't hear that much in movies. Kudos, too, to villains' Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan. They are fun to watch, especially Farrell.

So, if this superhero film interests you, make sure you get the "Director's Cut" edition. It's far better than the original, and, I believe, the same price.
92 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Director's Cut is GREAT!
Elle6 December 2004
I enjoyed the original version but the new director's cut version of this film is just fabulous. I really like fact that Matt/DD was more a tortured loner (no Priest confidant, no Elektra love scene). The fight sequences are much better and much more complete. Make no mistakes about it, the director's cut now makes Daredevil a great action flick that's the proper mixture of quality acting, deep emotion and dark violence. The plot is now much more coherent .... (for instance, now we know why the police came for the Kingpin at the end of the movie!) The Daredevil DC is a shining example of vigilante-style justice done right. It's also yet another comic book adaptation done properly.
128 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Directer's Cut made it sooooo much better
jappetta995 February 2005
As I titled this, I really enjoyed the movie since I am comic nerd, but I rated this as a 5 out of 10. I got the Directer's Cut for Christmas and OH MY GOD it made this movie so much better. The subplot with Coolio really rounds out the character's of Matt and Foggy and little scenes added back in here and there like Matt's rituals after patrol and in the morning, and the extended version of him and Elektra on the roof before the rain made part of the ending make more sense. One thing I really enjoyed was the additional time to developing the Kingpin and making him really seem like a bad guy helped a lot. All in all whoever made the call to cut all this stuff from the movie should be fired from the studio because the theatrical release was a butchery and a farce. I felt bad having to admit that I didn't like the movie too much at first, but now I can tell people how much it kicked a$$ (didn't know if curses were allowed).
91 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent cast makes this a terrific story
jb_campo20 April 2014
I give DareDevil high grades, 8/10, strongly due to the excellent casting. Affleck is a terrific DareDevil who seems to exude confidence as a lawyer, but then exudes pain as a tortured soul. Look for his father, the boxer, who I remember from Officer and a Gentlemen. Jennifer Garner is another good casting as the sexy Elektra. But the stars really are Colin Farrell who plays the totally lunatic assassin BullsEye to the T. And Paul Michael Duncan steals the show as Kingpin.

Every time DD goes back out to fight the bad guys, you feel for his pain, like his father who fought against the mob way, and had the courage to stand up for what really mattered to him. DD does the same, in a similar high stakes game of cat and mouse with Kingpin and BullsEye.

The mood is dark and somber. The "sight" of DD is artfully depicted. The story evolves so in the end, you are rooting for the good guys to take down the bad guys, and you are not sure if that's possible.

I'm surprised there was never a sequel because this movie delivered. An interesting story, excellent casting, and solid acting make this the movie you should watch if you are in the mood to see one of those good ole good vs. bad guy films, a la Death Wish or other vigilante shows like The Equalizer. Hence, my 8/10. Enjoy.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Criminally underrated
konya-s10 January 2009
This is one of my absolute favorite comic book movies ever made. It's dark, it's entertaining, it has great story. And I gotta tell that Ben Affleck is great too in the costume of Daredevil. He's great and that's that! I don't know why he was nominated Razzie Award, in my opinion he was awesome. The other actors in the movie are great too! There is Colin Farrell. Usually I not a fan of him, but here, he's gave us an awesome performance as the professional killer the Bullseye. He can kill you with nut. No joke. He's a great character. And there is Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. Well, I know that in the original comic book, the Kingpin is white, but you know what? Doesn't matter. This Kingpin is similar to the comic book-Kingpin, except the color of they're skin. Both of them are big, both of them are brutal and Duncan has a voice that makes my skin crawl.

The direction is perfect I think. Dark and stylish, like a good Batman-movie. The story is good too, because it's not just a typical superhero-story, it is actually a tragedy if you think about that. It has drama and blood, not funny at all, but okay it has some funny moments, but not much.

So I don't understand why people hate that movie so much. It's great! Grow up people! See this movie with an open mind! Damn...
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the worst Marvel films ever created!
DylanW11 October 2017
Cliché followed by cliché, Daredevil has fallen short of the line currently necessary to belong in the film industry. The film is tedious and much too long, with too many false-endings and self-realisations for all characters. Furthermore, the characters are completely frustrating and annoying! So annoying that you manage to develop hate for basically all of them. As mentioned, false-endings are evident, with over-the-top fight sequences and terrible choreography. It is absolutely cringe-worthy. The acting is atrocious (especially for the antagonists of the film). Stay away from the film; a suggestion: go watch paint dry on a wall instead!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Director's cut is a good superhero movie
Serban Serafimescu15 February 2014
I have recently seen the Daredevil Director's Cut, and was surprised - the movie is pretty entertaining and well played. It even has some memorable poetic scenes. I believe Ben Affleck lends more depth and plausibility to Daredevil than Christian Bale did to his monosyllabic Batman. Collin Farrell delivers an intriguing and funny superhero movie villain (a rare treat, that was later brought to perfection by his friend Heath). Michael Clarke Duncan and Jennifer Garner are, each in their own way, beautiful to behold, and perform well in their archetypal roles. Overall, if you enjoy superhero movies and skipped this one, see it - just make sure to get the Director's Cut.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than Spiderman, in my opinion...
perni19 February 2003
Where Spiderman was colorful and almost cartoonish, Daredevil is gritty and merciless. Whatever you thought couldn't happen in Peter Parker's world will more than likely happen in Matt Murdock's neck of the woods. Because people die here. Sometimes they die slowly and painfully. The superheroes go home with scars on their backs, broken teeth, and more than a few gruesome images that need to be repressed. For all of these reasons I liked Daredevil, because it takes chances by offering a hero that is by no means invincible or conventional.

The origin story of the character Daredevil is pretty complicated, but, as the helpful gentleman in the theater so aptly put it, "He's blind, but he can see stuff blind." Let's just leave it at this: As a kid, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive material in a freak accident. This caused his other senses to become phenomenally acute, to the point where Matt can track criminals by their scent and use sound waves as a sort of radar. He uses his newfound abilities to protect those who will not be protected by the justice system, all the while hoping that one day he will find the person who killed his father.

If you're a fan of the first two Batman movies, you'll find a lot to love in Daredevil. There are still some comic book elements that require some suspension of disbelief, like the fact that Matt could construct an entire high-tech lair beneath a church while working as a pro-bono lawyer, but the movie is not fantasy-driven. The fight scenes will make you wince at their realism, the love story is not corny or forced (as opposed to a certain flick called Just Married), and the characters are complex, uncertain people who just happen to don masks and fight on rooftops.

Do you remember the parts in the old Christopher Reeve Superman movies where Clark would hear someone crying for help in the distance? He would always be having dinner with Lois Lane at the time, and had to make up some dumb excuse for ditching the scene like, "Oh! I just forgot. I have a book due at the library." Then he would dash off to save the day, leaving Lois high and dry. Well, in today's feature, Matt hears someone crying for help, but when his love interest, Elektra, asks him to stay, he actually does. With out-of-left-field scenes like this, I couldn't help but enjoy Daredevil.

Some might be surprised at how little screen time the villains get in this movie. Kingpin, a Don Giovini mobster type, and Bullseye, an Irish nut with a couple of loose screws, are important parts of our story, but they don't steal the show. Going back to the Batman comparison, many movie buffs think that Jack Nicholson's role as the joker actually become more interesting than the winged knight himself. Not so in this movie, as Daredevil is the guy whom the role shebang revolves around. By deciding to focus on the hero more than the villain, the audience can get into his head and root for him to the last battle. Matt is a cool guy because he's not a wealthy playboy or Kryptonian who can smash through walls. Other than his heightened senses and combat skills, he's just a regular guy who happens to like read leather.

After X-Men and Spiderman became huge hits, it was expected that Hollywood would start churning out more superhero flicks as fast as they could make them. Thankfully, Daredevil doesn't seem recycled or rushed and actually brings something new to the table.
124 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great movie if you like Superhero Movies
L_20045 January 2005
Another great superhero movie with some very colourful characters. I love that the original creator made a very unique superhero who is blind and has his other senses heightened (which helps!) Ben Affleck was brilliant as The Daredevil, I think they chose the perfect person for that role.

Having seen Armageddon, I recognised the actor who is Bear in that and The Kingpin in this movie. A completely different role for him from Armageddon, but he made a very good villain.

I haven't seen Colin Farell in anything else, but I like him already. He was great in this and it reminded me of the Irish villain in Charlie's Angels 2 - it makes a change from an English, German or Russian villain! The special effects were brilliant and so was the fighting. The story was very exciting and not too predictable. This calls out for a sequel IMO.
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best Marvel movies to date
yodaschoda25 January 2005
Despite the low ratings this movie has gotten from the masses, I honestly can say that this is probably the best Marvel movie to come out in the recent barrage of comic based movies to hit the big screen. I'm guessing the reason for the lack of high ratings is that most people were looking for a super hero along the lines of Spiderman who saves people and is always doing "the right thing". Well this obviously isn't the case here, as one can clearly see from how Daredevil does away with the baddies. I personally think that the concept of an avenging lawyer who serves up street justice to those that manipulate the system is a great concept. I also think that everybody did a great job of playing their characters as they should be played, yes… I know, even Ben. The only person I thought did a mediocre job was Colin, who only helped to make the already stupid looking Bullseye look even dumber then the character deserves. As you can no doubt guess from reading this, I'm a huge fan of the series. What you probably wouldn't guess is that choosing Michael Clarke Duncan to play the Kingpin is by far the best "improvisational" casting choice I've ever seen. For those of you who don't know, the Kingpin is "supposed" to be a big white guy… we're talking sumo style big. While Michael isn't quite that big, his size and look are by far better then anybody else they could have ever gotten to play this role. So, in conclusion, if you like your hero's on the darker side, a la Batman, then this should be a good choice for you. The effects and story line are great; I can only hope that the only "acceptable" attendance at the theaters won't stop them from making a sequel to this movie… I know, don't hate me… but with Ben playing Daredevil again as well… don't worry, I hate myself too!!! And P.S. Elektra isn't a sequel… it's a separate plot line all together, although they try to link the two at some point in the movie, but that's another comment for another movie.
130 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great and Underrated Action Movie
Claudio Carvalho12 October 2003
The story of the Daredevil, since when he was a boy, is the storyline of this movie. The plot presents how he became the lawyer Matt Murdock (Ben Affleck) during the day and the blind hero in the night. The movie shows his accident with toxic waste, the incident with his father, his crush with the gorgeous Elektra Natchios (Jennifer Garner) and this fight against crime, mainly against Bullseye (Colin Farrell) and Kingpin (Michael Clark Duncan). This excellent movie is completely underrated: the story of this Gothic and dark hero is very well presented, even for those viewers like me, who is not familiarized this character. The effects, showing how Daredevil 'sees' being blind are great. The heavy soundtrack is marvelous. The storyline and the characters are very well developed. I am a great fan of Ben Affleck, but I have never paid attention to this wonderful actress Jennifer Garner in other movies. Colin Farrell is great like the caricatural villain and Michael Clark Duncan is 'great', as usual. I have loved this movie, and recommend it for those who like action and fantasy movie. An excellent entertainment. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "O Demolidor" ("The Demolisher")
36 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underrated and a Needs a Reconsideration
LeonLouisRicci17 February 2016
This One Needs a Fresh Look. Mostly Eviscerated and Maligned upon its initial Release, Today can be Viewed as a Dark, Melancholic, Character Study of one of Marvel's more Brooding and Wounded Characters.

Similar to Batman (1989) in Tone and Style, much of the Movie is Shot in the Dark amidst Urban Decay, Back Alleys, and has a general Ominous Feel. Ben Affleck was given No Quarter and was systematically Booed across the board, but Considering what Type of Film and Character that "Daredevil" is revealing, it Fits Quite Well.

This isn't a Bouncy and Comedic Superhero Movie, quite the Opposite, although Jon Favreau does His Best to Lighten the Mood a bit as Matt Murdock's Lawyer Partner.

The Film is full of Stylish, Foreboding Scenes at Night and in the Rain. It's 2003 CGI is put to some Good Use, but Admittedly some of the Stuff seems a bit Clunky or Dated Today, but Effective nonetheless.

Jennifer Garner Shows Up as Elektra and Enhances every Scene where She appears, as does the Psychopathic Portrayal of "Bullseye" by Colin Farrell that adds some Crazy Appeal. Michael Clarke Duncan as "Kingpin" Plays the hulking Crimelord and Menaces the Third Act.

This really is an Excellent Rendition of the Daredevil with the "Director's Cut" the Only "Cut" that's Recommended. There are Brutal Killings and some Bloody Action Scenes and it is all Done with a Neo-Noir Appeal.

It reinstates the Darkness and Gloom to another level where it Belongs and Fits the rest of the Movie that in the Theatrical Release Sacrificed the Edginess and went for the Safe PG-13 Rating. It isn't a Quantum Leap but a Needed Leap.
Actually Wild Action Comic Book Movie
Terryfan17 April 2015
Yes I know Daredevil has gotten a lot of bad reviews because of why I don't know but I'm one of those movie fans who looks past the junk and see the treasure and if you do that with this movie you will actually find it to be more than what others will have lead you to believe.

Daredevil I know is inspired by the comic book of the same name from Marvel Comics and I didn't read any of the comic books before seeing the movie the first time I have heard of Daredevil was in the 2000 Spider-Man video game.

Now let's get on to the review.

The story begins explaining the origins of Matt Murdock AKA Daredevil (Ben Affleck) when he became Blind as a young boy however he gain special powers that allows his other senses to increase. Now as a adult he works as a lawyer by day and the crime fighter Daredevil by night.

Then one day he meets Elektra Natchios (Jennifer Garner) which catches the attention of Bullseye (Colin Farrell) and his boss The Kingpin (Michael Clarke Duncan) making them both a target.

Casting wise I enjoy seeing Jennifer Garner as Elektra who said she read a lot of Elektra comic books to prepare for the role of Elektra, Colin Farrell show case how he could play a villain and seem to have enjoy playing Bulleyes they made him look like the character in the comic book, Michael Clarke Duncan did a strong job as The Kingpin normally I saw him as a protagonist but here he was an antagonist really show case his talent as a actor.

Ben and Jennifer both had a strong chemistry on screen together and each scene they were in made the film enjoyable.

The fight scenes are very well done and the taunts were quite clever when you watch the film you get to see why they actually took the time to make the fight scenes worth watching in the film.

Music wise it is awesome with songs from bands like Evanescence and Fuel the soundtrack for the film is one of the reasons why I like this movie it's the kind of soundtrack I would buy.

The movie features some strong acting, awesome stunts and a powerful score it just more enjoyable than people give it credit for sure it's not a perfect film but I enjoy it nevertheless and I think the Director's Cut could be the one to go for.

I give Daredevil an 8 out of 10
Upgrade to the Director's Cut and you've got yourself a solid Superhero flick
Adam Foidart12 April 2015
This might date this review a bit, but let me begin by saying that I am watching this film well before "Batman vs. Superman" is being released, and I don't know what all of the Ben Affleck hate is about. I know there's a new "Daredevil" show out on Netflix as well and it's sure to gather a lot of people dismissing that "old movie" as trash, but hey, just wait a moment. I've just finished the director's cut (which ads a full 30 minutes to the running time), and it does have some flaws but otherwise this is a solid 2000's superhero movie. I like it a lot and putting it in the same category as "Ghost Rider" or "Fantastic Four" is a grave mistake. I can't remember what the theatrical cut was like, but this version runs about 2hrs and 15 minutes so there are some significant changes.

When Matt Murdock (Ben Affleck) was a boy, he was blinded by a chemical spill. It wasn't a total loss though because his remaining senses where enhanced to superhuman level. As an adult, he uses his sonar-like hearing to walk around as if he could really see, but he pretends to be just a regular blind guy. It's the perfect disguise for his superhero alter ego, Daredevil. When Matt and his legal partner "Foggy" (Jon Favreau, who like Chris Evans also went on to star in some of the best Marvel films) take on a case, it all seems to point towards the ever-elusive, legendary, Kingpin of Crime (Michael Clarke Duncan). Daredevil works his way up the ladder, encountering the crackshot assassin Bullseye (Collin Farrell) and a lovely lady named Elektra (Jennifer Garner).

What I like about this movie is that it spends ample time showing you that Matt Murdock is a tortured man, the kind of guy you can believe would wear a costume and spend his nights beating the living snot out of criminals. He's emotionally distant, has a lot of guilt about what he does, second guesses himself and is very angry on the inside. He's a lawyer that encounters the worst people imaginable every day and he's fed up with seeing the ones who have the right connections or enough muscle to intimidate witnesses worm their way out of an appropriate sentence. What I liked even more was that you can also see that there are moments where he is a nice guy and he isn't always moping around complaining about that one person he couldn't save. He tells jokes, he flirts with women and has friends. You get to see him as a regular guy that takes advantage of his powers but also feels the burden of them. One of my favorite scenes happens just as he's about to call it a night after getting into a vicious fight with a dozen thugs. He is about to lie down when he hears the screams of a woman being murdered. He perks up a bit, then looks discouraged. He knows there's nothing he can do, and if he went out in the exhausted state that he is, he would only get himself killed. It's a difficult thing to do, but he must go to bed and try to let it slide, for now. That scene, with the clever detail that the man sleeps in a sense deprivation tank in order to get some peace and quiet really impressed me. That single moment speaks volumes about the character and that's a sign that this is a legitimately good movie, one that's been unjustly dismissed.

When it comes to the supporting characters there's a lot to like. First up our main villain, Bullseye. What I like about this guy is that they make him delightfully evil. He's a sociopath that kills people in increasingly difficult ways... because it's a way for him to get his jollies. He doesn't use guns. Those are for your run-of-the-mill assassins. This guy's weapons of choice will make you look at pencils, toothpicks and office supplies in a totally different way. I also enjoyed the fact that he's given a real character. He's full of himself and very proud of his skills, to a fault. He also appears to suffer from some sort of OCD because he's always being overly theatrical and boastful, but in a way that's believable (unlike say, Two-Face from "Batman Forever"). I liked seeing Jennifer Garner as Elektra. There's real chemistry between her and Murdock and she's not just some damsel in distress that needs to be rescued during the climax. She's got a lot of different facets to her personality. The last guy I want to talk about is Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. I know traditionally he's a really fat white guy but I actually like him better here than anywhere else. This Wilson Fisk is a powerful presence. He's scary, but not in an obvious way that would have every single person in New York screaming "that's the bad guy! Right there!" Only two things really bother about this movie. There isn't enough action because there are so many moments where the characters and their relationships are explored and like most of the 2000's superhero films, many scenes contain dated CGI that makes you wish they were using practical effects, or just had more realistic battles that could actually have been done with the actors. The other is that the film is just a tad too long. I can forgive both because it really is an entertaining film filled with interesting characters and complex relationships, but it's worth noting.

If you think that "Daredevil" is a bad movie, you just need to revisit it by watching the Director's Cut. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the drama and how well developed all of the characters are. It captures the spirit of the dark Marvel comic books that made this guy a favorite in the first place. (On Blu-ray, March 26, 2015)
I gave this a 10 for the Director's Cut DVD
gaijin100-131-53206714 December 2014
"Daredevil - Director's Cut" deserves a rating of 10.

I won't give any details or spoilers but suffice it to say that "Daredevil - Director's Cut" (available on DVD and Blu-Ray) actually makes sense and has much-better developed plot and characters than the "Studio Cut" (the one you saw in theaters).

"Daredevil - Director's Cut" actually makes you crave for a sequel.

In the Special Features, director Mark Steven Johnson discusses how the studio butchered his original vision for the film, resulting in the incomprehensible version that ended up in theaters.

The theater version unfairly got director Johnson, lead actor Ben Affleck, and the rest of the cast so much undeserved hate.

I hope the studio atones for its hideous crime by showing the Director's Cut on the big screen.
Seriously under-appreciated
Anssi Vartiainen13 July 2012
This film gets a bad rep from pretty much anyone, which has always amazed me, because in my opinion this is one of the better superhero films out there. It was one of the first Marvel films to feature a rather dark and at times depressing storyline, one where the hero is not guaranteed to win and even if he does, it's a Pyrrhic victory at best. Of course there had been Blade before this one, but aside from that, this was the first one, which I found very refreshing. Aside from that, the character cast fits the mood of the film and the casting is pretty solid, with Colin Farrell absolutely nailing the role of Bullseye. Add in a great and gritty visual style, some solid action scenes and a love interest that actually is able to look after herself - to a certain degree - and I really don't get why this movie hasn't been ranked any higher than it is.

Well, okay, one of the reasons is the original cut, which is nowhere near as good as the director's cut. The original is not bad in my opinion either, but the director's cut just flows better and enhances the darker aspects of the story. A shame that the director's vision didn't get a theater release, because it might have saved this film from its mixed reception.

And that's my two cents about this film. It's a solid superhero film with a dark atmosphere, great characters and a good storyline. Definitely worth checking out if superhero films are your thing or even if you're just looking for a good action film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Review of Director's Cut!
g-bodyl23 September 2013
I have never seen the original version of this film and I never planned on it because everyone has been saying horrible things about it. But when I saw that there was a better version in the director's cut, I had to see for myself. Daredevil happens to be a dark, brooding film that came out at a time when superhero movies were all light and fluffy. I liked that because it led to the rise of the dark Christopher Nolan Batman films. This film has some cool villains, a blind superhero with good intentions, and even some wit.

Mark Steven Johnson's film is about Matt Murdock who is a blind lawyer fighting for those who are innocent. After a horrid past, he becomes Daredevil at night to fight for the innocent. He targets the Kingpin because of some personal history.

The acting is pretty good. Ben Affleck did quite well as Matt and shows he can hold a superhero film. Jennifer Garner does very well as Elektra. Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan make an imposing nemesis duo for Daredevil. Jon Favreau adds some delightful comedy that is needed for such a dark picture.

Overall, the director's cut is a great superhero film and I'm sure is way better than the original theatrical release. I enjoyed the action, the fight scenes, and just the movie itself. It led the way for bigger and better things. I rate this film 8/10.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fantastic Film!
jollyjensie4 August 2004
I saw this film only recently on HBO and I must say I was impressed. I wish I had seen it on the big screen as the cinematography and stunts were wonderfully evocative and would have been more appreciated in a theatre. I was also impressed with the storyline, being that it was much darker than I anticipated. Much more interesting. I like the fact that Daredevil/Matt was at a crossroads in his life, that he didn't know anymore if he was "the bad guy" or not. It was all about the dreams of a super-hero lost.

I particularly thought Colin Farrell was awesome as Bullseye. I hope there is a sequel!!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best superhero movie ever made?
lee-anthony16 January 2005
This is without a doubt the best superhero movie out there. Forget Spider-man with its colorful character swinging through the streets of new york. Forget Batman with it's dark brooding character and over the top comic to film transition. In half of the batman movies I half expected Wham Kasplat or kazump to show up in the middle of a fight scene. But this isn't about Batman, or spider-man for that matter. This is about Dare devil. A super hero that most people have never even heard of. Which is one of the reason's why it didn't do as good at the box office as it should have done. Which in hindsight this is a shame as some people out there are missing a great film. Right from the start we are drawn into the story by meeting a beaten up Ben Afflick in the title role. We then hear him say the immortal line "they say that when you are about to die you see your whole life flash before your eye's. That is also true of a blind man" And then of course we are taken to back to when the hero of the film was a normal boy growing up in a part of new york called hells kitchen. An origin story that to my mind hasn't been implemented as well in any other movie. The film doesn't let up from that moment either, and if superhero's existed they would exist in the form of dare devil. The scene where Mat Murdock return's home after dispensing of a really nasty rapist is masterful. Beaten and bruised he steps in the shower, and as the water trickles over his battered body you can see the blood trickling down the drain, then cut to his face as he pinches a single tooth that comes away from his jaw then clunks to the bottom of the shower with a ching. Then after stepping out we see him go straight to the medicine cabinet and pop some painkillers into his mouth. Then after stepping into his sound proof coffin so that he will not go mad from the high intensity sounds he is constantly hearing, he passes into something slightly less pleasurable than sleep. You know at this point that this is a super hero. There is no Aunt May or butler Alfred at home to cook him a nice cup of tea. He is completely alone. Doing what he does not to get thanks. But because he has the ability to do it. I don't even class this movie as a movie. This move is pure Art. Made and written by people that love the whole daredevil mythos. The man without fear. And to all those people that hated the movie I am sorry. I am sorry that the film hasn't got the recognition that it deserve's and i am sorry that everyone who hated the film so much hasn't really watched the film. Just remember as daredevil said in his own words. "I'm not the bad guy"
63 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable
I'm not sure, why at all this movie has such negative reviews, i think it was much better than X-men 1, Hellboy, and Equally as good as Spider-man, the action scenes are awesome, Jennifer Garner is Off the Hook, she looks amazing the fiery Red head, i found Colin Farrel's Character a bit poor, but Ben Affleck plays the part really well, this movie might also make the toughest of people Fill Up, with 1 particular scene, i was surprised it happened, and disliked Farrel for a moment, But it was very Enjoyable, and i'd advise this movie for everybody to watch.

Also the Soundtrack is awesome. Possibly 1 of the best soundtracks to date.

8/10, one of the best Marvel Productions.
43 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this