Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams (2002) Poster

Spy Kids 2: The Film of Lost Ambition
Theoron17 August 2002
After enjoying some success with the surprisingly enjoyable & cheesy "Spy Kids," Director (and all around good guy) Robert Rodriguez now brings forth a sequel, "Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams" which is far less enjoyable and far more cheesy. As a matter of fact, you'd be hard pressed to find more cheese anywhere outside of a Wisconsin dairy farm.

Juni and Carmen Cortez (Daryl Sabara and Alexa Vega) are back, now officially a part of OSS, and officially recognized as Spy Kids. But the OSS, just like every other government bureaucracy, cannot resist expanding upon a good thing, so now there is an entire army of "spy kids" at their disposal; but Juni and Carmen are, of course, the most renowned.

Within in the first opening minutes of the film, which takes place in a truly inspired theme park, we quickly discern that Juni and Carmen have rivals: the Giggle kids (Matthew O'Leary and Emily Osment) who dearly covet the Cortez' fame and status. With help of their conniving father (Mike Judge), the Giggles do what they can, not only to surpass the Cortez family, but to humiliate them as well.

Once again, we find the greatest threat to the OSS is the OSS itself, along with the internal politics and treachery which played a small but significant part in the plot of the first film. It seems as if the OSS is more of a threat to world peace than a help, and one wonders why Uncle Sam doesn't just shut the operation down and call it a day. Perhaps it would prevent the making of any more "Spy Kids" movies, which I'm beginning to think would be a very good thing.

The plot revolves around a device known as a "transmooker" -- which can be best described as the ultimate cloaking device, even able to cloak entire islands off the map. It also has the wonderful ability to render all electronic devices useless, which is quite a thorn in the side of the intrepid Spy Kids, who's reliance on James Bond style fancy gadgets is only a shade less than an alcoholic's dependence on his next drink. Of course the transmooker itself is an electronic device, but somehow is immune to its own nasty effects. (Only in Hollywood....)

So our two heroes, Juni and Carmen, locate the cloaked island, where the stolen transmooker was taken, and attempt to find it before their rivals, the Giggles kids, do. The island turns out to be a retirement resort for every single monstrous creature ever created by Ray Harryhausen ("Jason and the Argonauts," "7th Voyage of Sinbad," etc.). Except we are told that they were created by the socially insecure and somewhat troubled scientist "Dr. Romero" (Steve Buscemi) who was looking for some companionship, and a portable zoo. But of course those of us who've seen a few movies in our time know better.

During the same time, there is a completely boring and totally unnecessary sub-plot involving Carmen & Juni's parents and grandparents. The only reason the subplot exists is to cloak this poor homage to Harryhausen as a "family film." Yeah, right. I certainly fell for it.

Hollywood films, especially action-adventures and sci-fi flicks, often ask the audience to suspend logic and rational thought while the plot thickens. It is the price we pay, beyond the ticket price, for the pleasure of being "entertained." But Spy Kids 2 doesn't just ask for a suspension of belief, but a wholesale slaughter of anything remotely resembling intelligence. That's a big price to pay, and one I was unable to justify.

If Daniel Rodriguiez is such a fan of Harryhausen, then he should make "The 8th Voyage of Sinbad" or some such thing, rather than trying to find a way to incorporate Ray's creatures into a movie allegedly about espionage. The CGI recreations of Harryhausen's monsters was one of the more enjoyable aspects of this horrid film, but not enough to pull it out of the slimy pit in which very poor writing knocks it into.

The dialogue is stupid, even for kids to listen to. Most of the jokes fall as flat as the acting. Much of the cuteness and fun of the first Spy Kids film is completely lacking in the sequel. Instead, we have a very disjointed plot, an adventure that leads to nowhere, and a subplot that should have been locked in the submarine where it mostly takes place.

My Rating: 4/10
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worthy sequel - great fun for adults and kids alike
durmanx12 August 2002
After reading some of these user reviews (especially the one about the Latino vs. White.... you have to be kidding me), I felt compelled to write one of my own. Spy Kids 2 had everything I expected - a whole new adventure with characters from first that is fun, exciting, humorous, and still manages to teach about doing the right thing. I also appreciated the references to the original ^_^ , and the special effects were even better than the first.

The hardest people to please in this case would be my 2 daughters (4 & 7) who own the first Spy Kids on DVD and have seen it so many times they can act out the scenes down to the facial expressions and body motions. When they saw Spy Kids 2 this past weekend they were transfixed and left the theater excited about seeing Carmen and Juni in their latest adventure.

A great movie for adults and kids... I cannot recommend this sequel highly enough!
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Fun
bix17111 August 2002
Another winner in Robert Rodriguez' budding `Spy Kids' franchise, equally as good as the first and showing real potential for the future. Rodriguez is perhaps the only filmmaker of kids' movies that seems to actually listen to what kids want and in the process delivers something every family member can indulge in--it's as delicious as chocolate, with plenty of giggles aimed at the seven to ten crowd and dazzling ideas and humor that parents can appreciate. Rodriguez has an extremely fertile imagination and while his visuals sometimes can't keep up (the digital effects are an occasional letdown) the concepts themselves are so ambitious and delightful that it's easy to look past the brief technological shortcomings. As in the first film, there are plenty of references to family films of the past (most notably `Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory' and the stop-action animation of Ray Harryhausen) and the overall design of both films is very similar. (Rodriguez seems to prefer shooting at twilight, giving everything an orange hue.) But it does seem more expansive, perhaps because he's creative enough to incorporate welcome new characters, such as the kids' grandparents (played with relish by Ricardo Montalban and Holland Taylor) and another brother-sister spy team (Emily Osment and Disney Channel favorite Matthew O'Leary) as well as fresh retakes on characters from the first film (Steve Buscemi takes on the Alan Cumming role). Rodriguez' screenplay once again takes on the theme of family but this time it's carried poignantly throughout (it got dropped rather quickly in `Spy Kids') and the result, coupled with his extraordinary vision, is a film that will thoroughly satisfy just about everyone.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High energy sequel a step down from original
rosscinema26 December 2003
The first "Spy Kids" is an incredibly over the top but entertaining film for younger audiences and even though I still recommend this sequel I think that its just a little too over the top. Story is of course about Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni (Daryl Sabara) who have become top spies for their agency but now they are in competition for the best jobs by another brother/sister spy team. A gadget called the Transmooger that can shut down any defense system is stolen from the President and Juni is blamed for his carelessness. The Agency sends Gary (Matthew O'Leary) and Gerti (Emily Osment) who are the children of Donnagon (Mike Judge) who is in charge of Operations so Carmen hacks into the computer and has the mission changed so that she and Juni are sent instead. They travel underwater to an island that is invisible and inhabited by strange looking creatures but they have to hurry because Gary and Gerti will be showing up eventually to get the Transmooger that they are trying to find as well. The meet Romero (Steve Buscemi) who is hidden underground because he was the one that created all the creatures and he thinks they want to kill him. Meanwhile, Gregorio (Antonio Banderas) and Ingrid Cortez (Carla Gugino) are in pursuit to find their children along with the help of Grandfather (Ricardo Montalban) and Grandmother (Holland Taylor).

Not only did Robert Rodriguez direct this film but he also wrote, edited, produced, scored and did the production design. I'm sure he did other things as well and this shows that he remembers his days as a poor independent filmmaker with this type of self reliance. Rodriguez has a wild imagination and its not uncommon in his films for him to throw everything at an audience but the kitchen sink. This film is chock full of digital effects and at times it bordered on being more animated than live action. As much as I enjoyed the first film I always told people that I thought it would be even better if the story was more simplified. Have the kids in more realistic situations like James Bond but instead we got a cartoonish film with walking thumbs and gadgets that even Bond himself would laugh at. Here in this sequel it goes even more over the top with such outlandish situations that even Indiana Jones would be clueless. I couldn't decide which was more incredible, the giant monsters on the island or the fact that parents were sending their small children out on dangerous missions to save the world! Another thing I noticed was the sister of Haley Joel Osment who plays one of the other spy kids. It may be too soon to judge her but after watching Emily Osment's performance in this film she should beg her brother for acting lessons. She has an eternity to go. I am recommending this film for its wild imagination and high tech energy and their are some nice tributes to the great Ray Harryhausen but if they continue to make these sequels they might want to think about simplifying the stories.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bigger, but not better, sequel
Wizard-825 February 2003
To its credit, "Spy Kids 2" does indeed display a lot of creativity and imagination, and that makes it a lot better than most family movies Hollywood makes. However, while the first "Spy Kids" was a fun romp that kids AND adults would enjoy, this sequel isn't as much fun.

I think the biggest flaw is that this sequel is missing heart. We don't feel the warmth between the family members as we previously did. (Yes, the youthful siblings did fight and disagree a lot in the first movie, but you could still sense a solid bond between them.) There's no sense of the characters feeling danger, excitement, and a sense of adventure as they did the first time around. Instead, there is a coldness, a mechanical feeling this time, like they are very familiar (and almost bored with) with what they are experiencing, even with each other. The presence of two snotty and selfish rival child spies just furthers this somewhat sour tone.

While kids might not mind this too much, I think even they will agree with the second problem I found - the story here is VERY confusing at times. For one thing, the movie seems to start at chapter two, jumping ahead of itself before the audience is set and ready. Then after that, there are a number of moments where we keep thinking "Huh? How did (this character) get there all of a sudden?" and "Huh? What on earth happened off-screen to make (what we are now seeing) happen?" Very annoying. It's all made worse by a pace that is MUCH too fast, even for an adventure of this nature.

Note to Robert Rodriguez: I understand you will soon start "Spy Kids 3". Please not only take notice of what I've said above, but take note of Daryl Sabara ("Juni"). Though not a bad actor, there were a number of instances where he didn't enunciate his dialogue clearly enough, which lead me to rewind back a few seconds and use captions. Please take care of this on set, or at the very least, patch it up during post-production looping.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2.5 stars (out of 4)
mweston15 October 2002
Carmen and Juni Cortez are official Spy Kids, working for an organization called OSS (which probably stands for something, but I'm not sure what). In the opening scenes we see the President's daughter, Alexandra (Taylor Momsen from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"), as a special guest at a futuristic amusement park. When Alexandra gets herself in trouble on a ride called the Juggler (which actually juggles the cars containing the passengers!), Carmen and Juni are dispatched to help her. But then a backup Spy Kids team of Gary (Matt O'Leary from "Frailty") and Gerti (Emily Osment, sister of Haley Joel) Giggles are sent in as well. The situation becomes competitive, with the Cortezes rescuing Alexandra while the Giggleses retrieve the dangerous device (the Transmooger) that she had stolen from her father's office.

As in the first film, Carmen and Juni's parents are Gregorio (Antonio Banderas) and Ingrid (Carla Gugino), who are also spies working for OSS. Gregorio is up for a major promotion, but like his children, he is also competing with the Giggles family. The dinner at which the winner of this promotion is announced is the launching pad for the heart of the film.

Other key characters returning from the first film are uncle "Machete" Cortez (Danny Trejo) and Felix Gumm (Cheech Marin). And then there is Doctor Romero (Steve Buscemi), who is a very interesting character.

The "film" was actually shot using high definition video, which looked good enough to never be a distraction. It had been transferred to film for exhibition, so the normal film wear and tear issues applied, especially since I saw it near the tail end of its theatrical run.

Besides using digital video, the director (Robert Rodriguez) also used another trick to save money: he did almost everything himself. He was the writer, cinematographer, editor, production designer, and visual effects supervisor, and also helped produce and score the film. Apparently he did much of this work in his garage in Austin, Texas.

The first film was very fun and unexpected. This one feels a *little* too much like more of the same, and it also adds a touch more gross humor than I think it needed to. It's still fun and definitely worth at least a rental, but it's not *quite* up to the level of the first film.

Seen on 10/9/2002.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a parent's dream, but great for everyone
jeanetex31 August 2002
Wildly imaginative! a wonderful family movie, great action, great fun, lots of wit & humour. Every parent should be thankful for a movie their kids will love and they will love too. Excellent messages cloaked in fun. Really a great movie for anyone who still has the heart of a kid!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
more fun than its occasionally silly predecessor
Special-K8816 April 2007
As the story begins, Juni and Carmen Cortez are agents on the rise in the new Spy Kids division of the OSS. Despite all of their skills and accomplishments, they're denied a promotion in the agency as a result of blatant nepotism. Still determined to make their mark—and more importantly to upstage a pair of rival agents—they intervene in a mission to travel to a mysterious island and retrieve a sophisticated thingamajig that could be a potent threat if it falls into the wrong hands. Engaging sequel is far less cheesy than its predecessor, has a much better story, and lots of imaginative visual effects accompanied by exciting, cliffhanger action scenes. Overlong, and still corny at times, but has just enough ingredients to entertain all audiences. ***
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What went wrong,.....?
MartinHafer25 May 2005
I enjoyed the first Spykids movie MUCH more than I thought I would, as it turned out to be a film that had appeal to BOTH kids and the parents forced to accompany them to the movies. It was well-written and innovative.

So what went SO wrong with THIS movie??!! Completely lost was all the charm of the first. Instead of naive agents who SOMEHOW defeat evil, the once-cute kids are now James Bond Juniors with super gadgets and powers!!! And, to make things worse, the movie is even more special effects drenched than the first. It's a total mess with unlikeable characters, a muddled plot and hackneyed writing. Adults or anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size should stay away at all costs! If you LIKED seeing a good film followed up by a HORRIBLE sequel, you might also try watching Babe: Pig in the City. Somehow it manages to make an even better original movie and transform it into an even more unwatchable sequel! Only masochists should watch!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More artificial than the first film!
the amorphousmachine28 July 2003
While I maintain the original film wasn't that good, it was still better than this film. Not that 'Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams' is god-awful or anything, it just didn't manage to eliminate the same problems the first film had. That was artificiality! This one felt even more artificial than the first! The visual f/x were fairly were decent in parts but also very fake in others, but the overall artificiality remains in the world of the Spy Kids themselves.

In the sequel, we see an established Spy Kid network which our heroes, Carmen and Juni Cortez (Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara), find themselves having some competition from the Giggles children (Matt O'Leary and Emily Osmont) in the field of saving the world. The plot involves the Cortez kids heading to a mysterious island to retrieve a stolen weapon, while encountering genetically mutated (very fake) looking creatures, as well as a scientist named Romero (Steve Buscemi). Now, Romero is falsely advertised as the villain of the film, but from the onset he befriends the pair. Meanwhile, the Spy Kid's parents (Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino) are looking for them with the grandparents (Ricardo Montalban and Holland Taylor) assisting them in their search.

Now, the problem with sequel is the overall storyline is not as good as the first film. There isn't a moment where I am drawn into this bizarre universe nor am I ever afraid for the characters, or feel they are overcoming major hurdles in the adventure or amongst themselves. It is this sort of artificiality that bothers me about 'Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams'. I've seen plenty of kids movies in my time, and many feel like they are genuinely overcoming a hurdle, or uniting a family rift or having a character reach a point of enlightenment. The sub-plot with the grandparents and Gregorio (Antonio Banderas) just didn't work for me at all, although the outcome was decent, the lead up to it was rather formulaic and uninteresting. Similarly, the father/son rift subplot was extremely tame and bland. 'Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams' also lacked villain power, as if the bad guys were doing their thing for the sake of doing it, rather than establishing some madness behind their methods. The overall plot was generally disappointing.

However, there is some decent moments. The interaction between Alexa Vega and Darly Sambara work very well and they are an extremely likable, but the writing and Robert Rodriguez's direction are just having them going through the motions, and the pacing of the film even seems awkward. Cheech Marin, Alan Cummings, Tony Shaloub and Danny Trejo all return in limited roles to further the plot. Mike Judge, of 'Beavis and Butthead' fame, returns in a bigger role as Donnagon Giggles and their is another decent cameo (which I won't spoil). Overall, for the reasons stated, the film lacks the magic of other kid's films and this is partly due to the artificiality of the story/characters and some of the visual effects.

**½ out of *****!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of fun while making little sense
xguy815 September 2002
"Spy Kids 2" is creative,energetic and and lots of fun...while at the same time being quite weird and not making a whole lot of sense.This really can't be considered a spy movie,because it goes pretty far off from the idea that these 2 kids could be spies.This movie really has more in common with the "Men in Black" and the "Mummy" movies than it does with James Bond,but it's a very enjoyable flick anyway.

I got to wonder...does this spy organization,the OSS...do they take on really bizarre assignments and leave the serious work to the FBI and CIA? That's the only way this organization could ever exist.

I enjoyed all the creatures made for this movie.It looks like they had alot of fun thinking them up.The gadgets are a bit far fetched but pretty damn cool anyway.The kids are solid in this and likeable.Steve Buscemi has an interesting and enjoyable role has a mad scientist.

This movie is weirder and more out there than the 1st Spy Kids,which was quite weird and out there.Even though both are hard to believe,and even though both don't make too much both sense,both are great entertainment and great fun.Both movies are funny,colorful,creative and full of imagination and action.I'll give the edge to the first "Spy Kids" as the better movie,but "spy Kids 2" is a worthy sequel.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
Reef-Shark25 August 2006
I have seen some bad movies, but this has to be in the top 5. The Special effects were the worst I have ever seen (recently), and the acting is even worse. I think a 10 year old could have wrote a better script. Like 80% of the movie looked like it was a green screen. The only movie worse than this is Jaws: The Revenge. I think you should avoid this movie. I would rather watch jaws 3 than have to watch this movie again. The original was a okay movie, but this movie is not worth your time. the fight scenes are the worst I have ever scene. The jokes fell flat every time. I can not think of one good thing about this movie. Avoid this movie.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Good Sequel!
g-bodyl6 December 2010
I liked this film as much as I did the first one. In fact I saw this movie in theatres before I saw the first one. I believe thats why I saw the first one. Anyway, this is another cool movie with great special effects and good acting.

The junior spies return and this time they head to an mysterious island that is home to a wacky scientist and some strange creatures. But there is also trouble on the island. Also they have to deal with rival spies of their own.

The acting is pretty good. Sabara and Vega matured more in this film. I was happy to see Steve Buscemi. He always make his part work.

Overall, this is a great spy film. I also have to say this is the last film thats actually good in the trilogy. I rate this film 8/10.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Bond at its best with children
hcalderon118 February 2005
This time the kids are older and smarter and will do whatever it takes just like their parents. They want to show in this movie that they can out-spy their parents. This starts off when Juni and Carmen find that something is missing and are being asked can they find it before its too late. During their course of adventure they find many obstacles that try to keep them from accomplishing their goal of saving the day. What gives them the will power is the power that they learned from their parents in the 1st film. I enjoyed this movie because it had action that many people couldn't try into their today's world. Can Juni and Carmen do it stay tuned.
A Solid Eight
Quicksand8 April 2003
Eight out of ten.

This movie is SO cute, and has a good number of funny moments. It's got cameos both recognizable (Bill Paxton) and obscure (Mike Judge). It's one of the first films shot completely digitally, and the special effects actually serve the story, rather than just being the sole reason the studio thinks you'll watch-- as with high-budget, low brains movies like "Daredevil" or "The Core," ... or "Spider-Man." There, I said it.

My one complaint is there's no character. Carmen gets a little, as she deals with her crush on Gary Giggles. The Dad (Banderas) gets a little, as he actively fears his in-laws. Most everyone else is just kinda there.

Still, some might say it's "just a kids movie." This is true. And both the writing, acting AND special effects, as well as overall creativity (the MOST important thing) are not only better than the first Spy Kids, they're better than the first Harry Potter, as well. There, I said it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay, but the coolness of the original is lost in this movie.
PatrynXX5 June 2004
(spoilers)

Spy Kids was simply a treat. It was a total surprise. Alexa Vega was just this cool person. The movie was clearly cut good and evil. Kids vs adult weirdo's.

Unfortunately, Tipper Gore got hold of Spy Kids 2 and added a morality statement to it. Not that this movie is bad, but as with a lot of cartoon in the 90's, some moral is gleened from this. Montleban is completely useless in his role and I'm not sure of the role of the grandparents. It reminded me of the movie Lost in Space.

the director quoted on the DVD as saying that he made the first movie so he could make the second. I had to laugh at this. Then why spend all the good parts of the series on the first movie.

Some of the movie is a bit on the embarrassing side of ... ick don't watch.

Will kids watch it? Probably. But I think the plot is just way to complex for this kind of movie.

And now Uncle Felix is the bad guy. Figures. Almost ruins the first film. But Spy Kids was so good, I doubt that'll happen.

Quality: 6/10 (good direction and cinematography) but bad editing. And why'd they have to squish that fun loving bug. Sheesh.

Entertainment: 8/10 Replayable: 3/10
Entertaining sequel
Spanner-212 August 2002
This is the sequel to the Robert Rodriguez directed kiddie spy film. Like the original, this is an entertaining film that will thrill the kids while keeping the adults entertained. The child stars remain charismatic and appealing while the adults stay to the background for the most part, with the exception of hillarious turns by Steve Busciemi and Ricardo Montalban. While the story focuses a bit much on some silly CG monsters at the end, its still a fun film for kids of all ages. GRADE: B+
Very inventive
ADM-425 April 2003
Robert Rodriguez's vision is evident in this incredibly creative sequel. The visual effects work well, and there are endless surprises. All the performances are great, although Steve Buscemi seems a little wooden at times as the mad scientist. The movie also has a strong moral center. A great family film for kids of all ages.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loads of fun for a kid, or an adult with a silly side!
TxMike23 March 2003
To comment honestly, I must admit I think the original Spy Kids film was a bit better than this followup. It just seems to have more charm. But this followup is definitely an entertaining film, and one to own for those who have children that may want to watch it occasionally.

possible slight SPOILERS - This one deals with a strange contraption, a "Transmooger", which can disable electrical devices. Also the President and his young daughter. There is an organization called "Spy Kids", and your level - 3,2, or 1 - dictates whether you are experienced enough to go on missions without an adult. Carmen and Juni go to an island which is "lost" because a cloaking device makes it invisible. In this installment, their parents and grandparents end up hunting for them. Steve Buscemi is a welcome addition as a slightly off-kilter scientist who experiments with animals, and creates some strange ones, like the "bull-frog!"

The story ends up being secondary to the action and antics of the Spy Kids. There is a sword fight with skeletons on a high precipice. Dodging large sea monster while in bright orange floating devices. The neat contraptions and communications devices the kids wear and use. Robert Rodriguez who writes, directs, designs, and directs photography in his movies has a very vivid imagination.

The whole film has a "comic book turned into a film" look to it. Many of the gadgets and special effects do not look real, but that is secondary because it is a comic book type of film. The adult actors also fit into this comic book style.

The extras on this DVD are among the more interesting I have viewed. Rodriguez is noted for making full-length films on a very modest budget. One extra is a 10-minute " film school" where his commentary explains how a number of scenes were done and how they were able to do them cheaply. Plus, there are several other features on various aspects of making this film, all of them interesting. Unlike many commentaries, there are no self-serving comments, instead just interesting insights into his movie-making.
Weird & Fun!
pied25 August 2002
I liked Spy Kids 1 and I like Spy Kids 2 even better.

Special effects are fun and original. The two kids actors are great.

It is amusing to see Antonia Banderas who usually is so intense playing a comedic part.

The addition of the two grandparents is a nice touch.

Nice film for the family!
Fun for all ages
elonka10 August 2002
As family movies go, it doesn't get much better than this. Great special effects, a storyline that keeps moving along at a fast pace, excellent actors (including Antonio Banderas and Ricardo Montalban), and hilarious in-jokes that poke fun at other movies along the way. Even the credits are good -- don't dash out at the end of the movie or you'll miss some cool bloopers. At the showing that I went to, everyone was laughing at different parts: Kids, teens, adults, and seniors, because there was something for everyone. Recommended.
love the gadgets
a brave fan8 August 2002
sequels tend to make me leary. they almost never live up to the first one. this one did. i laughed harder at this one. the kids loved it and so did the hubby. great family time together. of course the kids would love to have some of the gadgets that carmen, and juni have. but then again who wouldn't. a watch with every thing but a clock!! shoes that are rockets. a lunch box that makes a big mac meal. here's hoping they make another spy kids movie with just as much fun and gadgets.
a terrific sequel
evso5 August 2002
I just saw the area premiere for this film in Austin last night. It is so well done, and the special effects are amazing! I don't know if I'd say it is better than the original, but it is certainly just as great. The kids have grown up a smidge, and the actors who play them still have their characters down pat. I am a picky film viewer, but I must say that there is nothing bad about this film. The music is great, the acting is well-done, the dialogue is witty and there are a few surprises thrown in. I strongly recommend it to any fan of Rodriguez, since he was so intricately involved in anything that had to do with this film. He calls it his "home movie". If you liked "Spy Kids", you have to see this sequel.
Unfloopy
tedg25 April 2003
Spoilers herein.

Rodriguez is talented, that talent centered on his abilities as set/art/production designer. When you have one of these film polymaths, they almost always have a single skill, a sole imaginative strength that their other roles support. Orson Welles for instance was a great visual narrator. Rodriguez isn't as novel, but comes from much the same place. He envisions scenes and marshals everything to pull them off with resources at hand.

The comparison with Welles isn't too far off at least with the first `Spy Kids.' While producing good old entertainment, he did take the time to dip into some examination of fabricated narrative. The whole thing with Artificial Intelligence goes pretty deep: Floop was an early lisp object system, and many such obscure references were used in his apparently offhand story of films artificially influencing imagination and behavior.

Along with that were some pretty imaginative sequences embedded as preteen fantasies.

But this project has none of that. None of the novel imagination. None of the self-referential subtext. No real fun, just an amusement park ride producing the predicted barf.

Ted's Evaluation -- 1 of 4: You can find something better to do with this part of your life.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A superb HD movie which was excellently cast
tre118 August 2006
I have only just seen this movie, having borrowed the DVD from the library. The first thing I noticed when watching the movie was the excellent picture quality - it was 'filmed' in High Definition.

Apart from really enjoying the plot of the movie, which I won't re-iterate here, (I haven't seen Spy Kids 1 or 3), I found the audio commentary on the DVD by Robert Rodriguez, fantastic.

What a talented and imaginative man Robert Rodriguez is. RR went into a lot of detail about the making of the film but I also found that a lot of his comments are also appropriate in many other areas of ones life, and they don't only relate to the movie industry.

The DVD contains a lot of extra special features and I found them most interesting. The movie was excellently cast and it was great to see Ricardo Montalban. Both he and Antonio Banderas were perfect for their roles.

In summary it was a really enjoyable movie and I loved the subtle humor that occurred throughout. The DVD's special features are superb.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.