The best of the reality series crop is back, with 12 teams of 2 players each racing around the world, trying not to be eliminated at a series of checkpoints in which the last team to arrive is booted from the show. CBS chooses teams with relationships containing at least some tension, especially when the situation involves intense pressure. This season includes such duos as two circus clowns, a gay married couple, a father and son, a recently engaged couple, married couples, and best friends.Written by
Season 1 had many unique features that were changed or would not appear in later seasons:
1) The introduction of each episode featured Phil's voice giving a brief synopsis of the show with theme music in the background and the presentation of the teams. Future seasons would then simply have the theme music with the presentation of the teams. However, Phil's synopsis was absent in one episode.
2) Unlike in later seasons, Season 1 did not show running placements of teams on screen during each leg of the race, showing only the names and team identifier. Team placements were only shown when they checked in at the Pit Stop at the end of each leg. In addition, host Phil Keoghan greeted only the last team to check in at each pit stop. In future seasons, he would greet all teams at the end of each leg.
3) Route marker flags were yellow and white. In future installments, the flags changed colors to red and yellow so that teams could spot them more easily. The only exception being a leg in Vietnam, where the flag was white and yellow with a black stripe, so as not to be confused with the Vietnamese flag.
4) Clue boxes tended to represent the culture of the local pit stop. For example, the clue boxes in Zambia were a bamboo cylinder.
5) In every single leg of Season 1, the detour always came before the roadblock. See more »
As teams are leaving Singapore you can see that the name of the airport in the graphic is Changai Airport, when in fact the airport in Singapore is Changi Airport See more »
[starting a Race in the first episode of each season]
The world is waiting for you. Good luck... travel safe... go!
See more »
During the opening credits, quick shots of locations can be seen, hinting at which countries the race will visit. In Season 6, quick shots include the Nordic Hotel Ice Bar (Stockholm, Sweden) and the Brandenburg Gate (Germany). See more »
Not in a Flo way you understand, but this has to be my favourite 'game show' ever screened. I really wanted Ken & Gerard to win, but given a choice between Flo & Zach or Teri & Ian, I'm glad that Flo & Zach got it - at least that team had Zach as its' redeeming feature. The good news is that CBS in the US will start screening Amazing Race 4 in February 2003. I can't wait - this is a show that could just run and run. What a shame that only US citizens are accepted. I think that teams from different countries would give an additional dimension to the race.
4 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this