Teachers (TV Series 2001–2004) Poster

(2001–2004)

Top Class Television minus a couple of Seasons.
mafster8 July 2005
This is great stuff. Really great. I fell in love with Teachers after being forced to watch it. Truly wonderful television at it's best. All the characters are a joy to watch and I mean ALL. Simon Casey, played superbly by Andrew Lincoln, seems to be the main focus point. Supported very well by characters Susan, Jenny, Kurt and Brian along with The Head Mistress, Bob, Liz and Carol. Kurt and Brian seem to be the main comedy and Susan the rational one. Jenny is like a split personality of good and bad and Liz is the local gossip queen.

The characters play so well off of each other that it's an actual joy to watch. What is even greater about this show is the things you notice when you watch it again. The little things. Like a sheep on the school grounds or maybe teachers fighting on the grounds why the pupils look on. Brilliant stuff.

Season 2 was also fantastic. At first I didn't warm to JP but over time, I actually like him in this. Penny's okay, possibly the weakest character of the second series but not really flawed if you know what I mean. The music was also well chosen. Totally fantastic.

Now, like with a lot of good things, they have to come to an end and with teachers, for me, it came in Season 3. Three characters were gone and replacements were inserted. The female replacement was a pointless effort and a boring character. What were they thinking!!! Simon, being one of the actors to part with the show, does return for a few episodes and does lift the morale of the show. However, no matter how good he is, there is still a void from the other two characters which hurts deeply.

Season 4, now what was going on here. They should have just not bothered. I hate to say this but I have finally come to terms with it. This Season is thew worst and most pointless effort ever. I watched it over and over again to try a like it. Sorry but no way. This Season would have been more enjoyable if it had stolen my life savings and ran away.

Season 1 & 2 are brilliant and fantastic and well you see my point. Season 3 is still worth watching but Season 4, you must stay well clear of.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
bloody hilarious, superior comedy
Natasha15 December 2003
I don't think it's possible to not find Teachers very funny and very clever. In Australia, we're only up to the 3rd episode of the second series, so I'm not very pleased to hear that Andrew Lincoln is going to be written out. Although it's better that we don't get sick of his idiot character Simon, otherwise it won't be great for his career. His storyline (out of about 9) in Love Actually was probably the most interesting, so it shows that he's not limited to whiny and bitter characters. The music used in Teachers is great - especially stuff like using a bit of Stravinsky as Carol's 'theme' when Kurt is trying to avoid her. And Carol herself, what a freak. Very funny stuff. You should watch it. Really.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Top of the class but more Ballykissangel than This Life
jayhoolihan23 February 2002
Teachers is your own playground years - every dilemma, cock-up and confusion is reflected in the life of the eponymous hero, thoughtless new to the game teacher simon (25 going on 15), who breezes through life wrapped in a cloud of his so-called problems (does his girlfreind have more sexual expereince than him? if doesn't shower will he get an extra 10 minutes in bed?? - lifes a bitch, eh? lol)

Folowing Simon during his first year in teaching, teachers has an easy warm charm carried off by dint of the keystone cops portrayal of simon and his colleagues who are, if possible, even more irresponsible than the kids they are supposed to be educating. Simon's half-baked attempts to graduate to adulthood and his antics at school and home keep the attention and the laughs coming. On a disturbing note though I must confess i found his policewoman girlfriend strangely attractive!

Teachers isn't battleship potemkin but it's elevated above the normal tv fare by good writing, good direction and a fine cast - it took me a few episodes to really tune in it to its wavelength but it's now a never miss.

Ps. a second series is in the post - take a tip and set the video
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a cult show for the 00's
r_whiting3 May 2001
The First time Andrew Lincoln came to British Screens, was in the cult TV show "This Life" in which he played a quirky, neurotic and often confused lawyer. The reason the two series of "This life" were so good was due to the rich array of characters who played off one another so nicely, and a strong story line that was fast paced, witty and realistic.

Teacher's feels like it was written as a vehicle to show case the strongest characteristics of Lincoln's character in "This life". His character, Simon, in teachers is even more neurotic and confused about life than Egg was. On paper this sounds like it runs the risk of type-casting Lincoln and ruining the show from the out set. In reality Lincoln manages to pull it off; in fact he does so, so superbly that he avoids all the clichés and pitfalls and really shines.

While Andrew Lincoln twinkles his socks off, the rest of the cast refuse to be out done, Raquel Cassidy and nina Sosanya who play susan and jenny Respectively, do so subtly if not sublimely again avoiding the clichés, and Simon's two slobby mates (also teachers) Brian and Kurt played by Adrian Bower and Navin Chowdhry, provide the perfect foil for Simons ever growing neurosis.

At the end of the day, Teachers again has a strong storyline with a lot of fast paced humour and wit, while maintaining a degree of realism and showing teaching from both sides of the black board, teachers has all the potential and as I'm sure time will show has all the makings of a cult show in it's own right.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teachers- a work of genius
focuss15 November 2005
I first saw teachers when i was unable to sleep one night, and i was watching random programmes on the box. The character of Simon, played by Andrew Lincoln had me hooked straight away. Here was a character who was entirely believable, and who's situation was also recognisable as commonplace. I have followed the show ever since, and purchased the DVD box-sets. Series One was good in its own right but was perhaps more useful in creating and explaining the characters before the masterful series two, which is possibly my favourite series of any TV show ever, despite Simon's decision to go travelling. However, i have to say that the effect of his departure was what kept the show fresh for series three. Getting rid of Simon made it necessary to remove Susan, and create a new double act in Matt and Lindsay. It also served the purpose of allowing the other characters to develop, turning it from a one-man-show into a series with several strong characters, and thus while Simon's departure is a shame, it is also the only way to keep the series fresh. However, by the time the fourth series came around, all the strong characters were gone- Simon, Jenny, Matt, and the Brian-Kurt double-act. The new characters lacked focus, and the attempt to bring Bob into the group as an equal-footing teacher was frankly risible. I think the programme-makers know this as well, which explains why series 1,2, and 3 are available as a single box-set and 4 is only available separately. However, Series 1,2 and 3 combine to make possibly the best British comedy series since Blackadder.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny show!
Ryu_Darkwood4 July 2007
Our television guide described this show as a British version of Ally McBeal, with the big difference that the setting isn't a fancy lawyers office but a rundown school. And that's the thing that is so great about this show; it doesn't glamorize anything. Its Protagonist, 26- year old Simon, is a shallow minded antihero, selfish to the core. He's using people to fulfill his own desperate needs, trying to avoid every responsibility if something goes wrong. Then there is Susan, his emotional female buddy, trying to be strict and decisive but with the tendency to have a turbulent inner life. Add Brian and Kurt, two teachers that behave as a pair of 13-year olds, to the mix and you have a very funny show. I also adored the at the surface ice cold Jenny Page. She has that kind of cool and distant beauty that some women have. I truly believe that a woman like her can make a man like Simon mad.

This is how I want to see a comedy show; realistic, filled with dark humor and, most importantly, having a good balance between seriousness and wackiness. You start to loved its flawed yet charismatic characters.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sorry I've got to disagree (SPOILERS AHEAD)
DC197722 October 2002
I loved the first series, it had wit and energy and was just terrific. As soon as I saw the first episode of the second series I could see where the programme was going and knew that it was not going to be as good.

It introduced little stories focussing on each character which didn't work because most of them involved the characters acting in a way that just doesn't seem possible; the sensible and level headed Susan (played by the terrific Raquel Cassidy) going all gooey and pathetic over the incredibly dull and annoying JP (Shaun Evans is an awful awful actor), Brian hiccupping, the others trying to convince him he's gay.

Alas the best pupils from the first series have left and no decent characters have come in to fill their shoes which takes away a source of much of the amusement from the first series.

Worst of all, was the ridiculous way Simon was written out of the series, it was as though Andrew Lincoln saw sense and decided to abandon a sinking ship and gave the writers as much notice as his character gave the headmistress.

The humour and cleverness of the script just disappeared and the programme is now just a caricature of the first series. It is probably too conscious of the fact that viewers have their own favourite characters because it ensures that those remaining at the end have all had at least one shag so everyone watching will be happy...

Alas, there will be a third series, if it begins with JP's murder then there's still hope for this programme.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sex in someplace very uncomfortable
stebbituk8 August 2003
Teachers made a welcome return for a third season this week on channel 4.

I think Andrew Lincoln was wise to take a brake from the starring role this series, as his character had become whiney and his mannerisms beginning to grate. Although he did direct some this season and returns towards the end.

The first episode was business as usual with the new characters from last season plus a couple of others grown into their roles. Susan is gone and will be missed as the mentor in the group, but with Simon gone there would have been little for her to do.

The main ingredients remain such as the great humour at the expense of anyone the script sees fit, including some very unfair jokes at the expense of a little fat kid thats going bald, that are hilarious, and the excellent soundtrack (Feeder rock)

Adrian bower handles his new job as lead well, evolving from the confused teacher that thought maybe he could do more that was the butt of so many jokes previously.

All in all the show is still going strong, the storylines, while not earthshattering are still strong and I hope this goes on for a while longer.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teachers gets better and better
lynnerogers768 July 2003
David Clayton is WRONG! I loved series 1 of Teachers, but by the end I did feel a little bit "Simon"-ed out, and was worried how the show would sustain itself. I shouldn't have worried - because what we got was an infinitely better Series 2. Where characters who we'd got to know in relationship to Simon, slowly through Series 1, really came into their own - and facets of their characters that were only touched on were really allowed to flourish.

I liked the way Andrew Lincoln left the series (not your usual cliched stuff, but nicely underplayed) - I found it moving, but not over-cooked. You were sad to see him go, but knew that the world (and the series) would survive without him. Contrary to what David said, I got the impression that it had been really well built to. And it seems much more true to life to me this way. People do drift in and out of our lives - and whilst the idea is always horrible, it's amazing how the gaps they leave heal up.

I thought series 2 was better, funnier and more real. And I thought the pupil stories were better. The kids seemed smarter, not quite so contrived (like adults imagining kids) - more kid like. Overall, for me, series 2 is where Teachers really took off.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A refreshing view on school life from a teacher's perspective
wolfofdarkness26 April 2008
Contrary to other theme-based shows, such as hospitals (E.R., Scrubs more importantly), hotels (Jamie Foxx Show) and crime scenes (CSI + spin-offs), "Teachers" is situated mostly in and around an fictional school and gives us a realistic view on how school life is from the eye of a teacher. While this element might be a bit overdone at some points (it is unlikely that all teachers go to the pub, every night, with their colleagues - not to mention the excessive smoking by all staff members), it does not raise doubts about the reliability of how situations are coped with. If we compare this to far from the truth patient-doctor relationships in Scrubs, miraculous survivals in E.R. and questionable research methods in Crime Scene Investigation, the impression is accurate at least.

Themes in this show vary from teacher-student problems, (the lack of) a sex and/or love life, school events, alcohol, smoking, relationships with colleagues (even cheating with them), maturity and the choice of be(com)ing a teacher. Simon for example, constantly struggles whether he has made the right decision to be a teacher, whereas Matt definitely seems to be having trouble with being faithful and Kurt and Brian have relationship issues -- most relations are purely sexual and usually end up in a catastrophe and are therefor even rumored to have a homosexual relationship.

The teachers are portrayed as very normal human beings, something that a student may forget at that age, or not even think of. But we're all humans after all - teachers cope with sometimes even the same problems as their students; including hangovers and love. You might even say that teachers are not as adult and grown-up as they should be theoretically. From an educational aspect only, it looks as if they are all quite in the wrong business. Though this changes through the course of the episodes, where the actual teaching seems to be educationally correct.

The balance between humor and serious issues seems to be fair and quite random. This is not the sort of show I would stay home for, but definitely to watch when I bump into it. The jokes are mostly unpredictable, while some others lean on clichés and easy puns, for instance; the mispronunciation of 'Mr. Dong' instead of 'Mr. Chong', after the school principle has been looking below Bob's belt and then directs herself at Mr. Chong, an Asian man who is presumably visiting or inspecting the school that day.

The changing of the cast in every season may be frustrating at times, but on the other hand is a realistic view on how things happen at a school. After all, teachers tend to get fired, get promoted, or (take a) leave. Every cast member has their own personality, with the problems that come along with it, including divorce, cheating on your partner, obesity, homosexuality, height, problems with several body features (it is for instance suggested that the size of Kurt's penis is below average) and so on. They might not be all be very detailed, but they give one the feeling you can relate to (at least one of) the teachers.

A definitive plus and highly recommended.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic new comedy-drama.
Leigh-4319 April 2001
When I sat down to watch this show I did it with low expectations as (although I hate to admit it) British series of recent years have not been up to scratch. Instead I have enjoyed watching American series such as 'The West Wing', 'Ally McBeal' and 'ER'. However I was pleasantly surprised by 'Teachers'. As well as being incredibly funny, this show is realistic.

It shows the everyday life of a twenty -something secondary school teacher, Simon, who everyone would love as their teacher as he doesn't seem to want to grow up. We see how he copes with teaching his rowdy class and how he gets on with his workmates. There's Jenny, the teacher who has a reputation for being a bit of a dragon and shows obvious contempt for Simon, which he returns equally (although he has a secret crush on her). There's his two slobby mates who are also teachers and there's his friend Susan who is the head of year and who he consults for advice on his personal life. He also has an on-off relationship with policewoman Maggie (who smokes pot when she's off duty). In my opinion it's unmissable.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I even watch the repeats
caprice-121 May 2002
Yes....... I suppose when you watch a show after watching the previous weeks repeat you have to say that you LOVE IT. Brilliant writing and acting. This team of actors look like they've known each other all their working lives, great satirical fun with no cliches. Can't wait for series 3,4,5,6............etc.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved the first two series
Audrey_L15 November 2014
This show is so refreshing and good. First two seasons were terrific, the rest not so much. This happens with a lot of shows when they change the main cast - it just feels like a different show. They've written out characters and gave us unsatisfactory explanations (in some cases no explanation at all) for their absence. I've seen only a few episodes from series 3 and 4 so this review is focused on the first two series.

Simon and Susan were great characters. I could easily identify with them 'cause I work in school and I share some of Simon's attitudes towards students and my colleagues often come to me with their problems - that makes me feel overwhelmed at times, just like Susan.

The relationship between colleagues is warm and close. I like the fact that they could talk about a lot of topics, including silly conversations. They hang out after work, get involved in pranks and some of them are flatmates. The only character I didn't like from the beginning was Jenny, but eventually she warmed up to me. It's a shame that the main cast wasn't there 'till the end, but at least we got two excellent series with them. It's a fun watch, I guess that the young teachers will like it a lot.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dumbest show ever!!
melissag-1467614 November 2017
This is the stupidest show ever!!! Does such a disservice to all teachers!!! Please discontinue and take off the air!!! Asap!!! I beg everyone to understand that it is demeaning to all teachers and that everyone who loves this show is clearly dumber than a box of rocks!!!! And if this what the American education is than it is no wonder the world is laughing at us!!!!
Wonderful for first series
istara13 March 2017
The first couple of series of Teachers are wonderful. The third is so-so.

The fourth is dire, and I'm honestly surprised the cast agreed to many of the story lines.

Many other reviewers have commented on character changes being problematic in the later series. The loss of lead characters is a problem, but it's not the real reason that Series 4 is an unmitigated horror. Let's detail why:

1. Three new characters are introduced. The first is a "hot guy" to effectively replace Andrew Lincoln/James Lance. His character works okay, or would have done if they tried to establish more chemistry with established characters (as with Lindsay/Matt in Series 3). The other two characters are mystifyingly awful in how they are written. One (the "hypochondriac") is simply never funny. The other should be on TVTropes as the ultimate "token" hire. The poor actor is literally given no personality at all and nothing interesting to work with. Even straight men (in the comedy usage of the term) are supposed to be funny.

2. The themes and story lines are puerile, gross-out and frequently offensive, without being funny. In the earlier series the joke was having puerile characters in adult situations (teaching). In the last series, the situations are puerile. I feel particularly sorry for Vicky Hall (Lindsay) having to act the "fat episode". As for the "Ping" storyline, words simply fail. Little Britain handled the concept of a mail order bride more amusingly and more sensitively than this.

Teachers is definitely worth a watch. The final series is definitely worth a skip. It's amazing to realise that it was written by pretty much the same team of writers: what were they thinking?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's a missing traffic light...
babyboo99424 May 2011
So I've watched the funny, witty writing of Teachers UK come to the screen. The first series, it was slightly slow... the characters made almost hour episodes full of things that you would watch whilst you were ill on a Sunday morning. I'm not saying its bad, as I kinda weirdly liked it, just not outstanding. Series 2, when the characters got more developed, and the more interesting ones got the story lines - Great! But what happened to particular characters? Eh? I'm not being funny, but that is annoying! For an example, Jp - he was a great character! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO HIM?! I think the boring lives of these teachers are shown in a funny, submitted kind of way, which makes it watchable and entertaining. The focus of particular characters in each series make the audience connect with the characters - and then they just drop them. Seriously, we've built up this character-viewer relation and they just drop these characters. Yeh, Thanks - because thats not irritating at all. Series 3, best so far - Kurt and Brian, who are ridiculously stupid (and very entertaining) as well as great characters! We also have Matt, who is the most interesting realistic character in my opinion so far (also good looking). What happens to him? oh wait we don't know! Okay. Now I am annoyed. So we end up with Bob, (why is he still a character?!), The weirdo that can't speak a word and has a baby, Penny (the only decent character) and the mouthy secretory.

Now the series on their own are pretty good, but when watching numerically, hoping for some rhythm you will be annoyed, because this expectation will be deceived. The series get better individually, but its annoyed me how they drop some of the good characters. It makes me think that there was a disruption of some kind, and the writer(s)/director(s)/producer(s) make them jump in a hole never to return.

Oh, Then Matthew Horne turns up in one series and gets the main lead credits? COM'N! I know hes great and all, but seriously have some sort of continuity!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Teachers" is a great TV program
liz9_V15 March 2006
This one is amazing! Kinde of a parody about the school systems. Funny, very funny. I liked Lindsy and Ben, they had some interesting things to say, though they both were a bit strange. Every single character in this TV program was good, but yet not perfect. promised to keep secrets and did not. maybe that is the reason i liked this TV program - something real - but yet not to real, just real enough to make you like it - and unreal enough to keep you not bored. It also teaches you things - well, it is called "Teachers" for a good reason, I mean they maybe did not succeeded in teaching the children on their classes, but they did tough us some lessen. A lesson which I am not going to forget soon. and not only soon - never!
Best TV Program ever! :)
grunger0112 May 2001
I have watched every episode of teachers, and I think they are great!

It is funny, has a great cast and filled with excellent scenes!

I just hope they make another series, as the first was amazing!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You have to get the whole series to really appreciate it
Dr Jacques COULARDEAU3 August 2008
To look at the education system from the sole point of view of the libido, positive or negative, love or hate, live or die, of the teachers is an amazing starting point but so justified. We always think teachers are dedicated to their work, when they are only attached – with greedy chains mind you – to their jobs and particularly the regular though not heavy pay and the long vacation periods, something like there months a year. We even often think they are moral, ethical, pure, when they only think of having any kind of emotional imbroglio with their colleagues, edging onto and even ending in bed. And luckily we don't know, nor want to know, the details because too often that frolicking is always or nearly always ridiculous, silly, unsatisfying, frustrating, even in a way incestuous, I mean felt like sleeping with your brother or sister, some kind of dummy in some kind of show window if not even showcase for everyone to know, see and appreciate. This British series is showing that level of the behind-the-wings scene marvelously but also sickeningly. But it goes far beyond that. It shows how this carnal obsession becomes comprehensive, the only word that fits the situation and the institution in Britain where nearly all secondary schools are comprehensive from 12 to 18, and then it obnubilates all other aspects or levels. They become lazy, out of incompetence, they try to do as little as possible, to keep some energy for their kinky nocturnal activities that can take place in the stationery cabinet that has the tendency to become perambulating instead of stationary, or the photocopying closet, they spend their nights in pubs and are drunk every evening and hung-over all next day long. They are insensitive to the students and their problems, or at times only sensitive to the appeal of boys and girls, crisscross and cattycorner. They would pretend to be gender-friendly, but they are fundamental g***-bashers, not with a baseball or cricket bat but in their minds that are entirely p***-boasting all the time, and in their language that contains so many four letter words, F words like fun and fair and –uck words like duck and muck, that you just wonder if they are not all of them the Tourette-syndrome patients of the central mental hospital of New York City, or Bristol if you prefer, all released at the same time from their cuckoo's nest for a trip in the city. They become p***-boasters, c***-measurers, d***-brandishers , even if and when they are women who have the sad tendency to imitate their men colleagues. They are unable to conceive what a g*** relation may be or mean, and the teachers who are g*** are always secretive about it, if not even more than that, short-lived in the institution and confronted to such a suspicion from everyone that they have to jump off the cliff and escape that Dracula's castle. The series is on such points so realistic, so strong that we just wonder if we are not dealing with some reality show gone berserk. But it goes even beyond that. It shows the constant struggle, fight, battle, war going on around power, from the power a teacher has in his small little tiny territorial ghetto called his or her classroom, to the tyrannical – and it is always tyrannical no matter what – power of the higher-ups from school secretaries to heads of departments to principals and inspectors and even ministers if not prime ministers who have the tendency to consider the school system as their favorite campaigning and canvassing ground. But the series turns that into a force with each episode or smaller group of episodes dealing with one particular problem showing the absolute hypocrisy of this teaching profession, from race relations to religious diversity or gender orientation or whatever, like citizenship or violence. The last topic of the last season is admirable with the principal delegating one younger man teacher to seduce and do what he can – you can imagine what when you see him coming back rearranging his tie – with the woman inspector who found out about what was in the wings, had a glimpse at the reality if not truth of the divinely sadistic torturing chamber in which the "mental" – as they call them – students are both dealt with and given a free hand at dealing with themselves or rather one another on a rotating basis. And the "mental" Bob, an English teacher who had been head of the English department for three seasons, is buying himself a wife in Thailand via the Internet, and is not even able to see, accept and go along with the fact that it is only for a visa. Worse than me you die, in tremendously satanic suffering. The only criticism I will level at the film is that there is No Future in it, that it is Absolutely Punk. Academia it's a fascist regime just like Rule Britannia was thirty years ago. But instead of the S*** Pistols and their B**** we get Channel 4, its international satellite broadcasting and "Belle and Sebastian". There is No Hope either, no seed for any possible improvement and when there appears a beam of sunshine it is short-lived and it comes from the fact one day one teacher goes dry on alcohol and then her or his sudden positive motivation is as if the institution were going cold turkey. Enjoy that series of only twelve DVDs. But go at it little dose by little dose, small installment by small installment, tiny take by tiny take, slowly and spread out in time if not on the floor vomiting at this sedating purge, that is "mental" with the standard meaning. A brain hernia is guaranteed if you get an overdose of that.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne & University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines
Funniest series on TV!!
as01nnf15 May 2002
The second series of Teachers has just finished and i am missing it already!! What an excellent series that just got better as time went on, the characters are fantastic, the acting is high quality and the onscreen camaradarie has to be seen to be believed. Kurt and Brian have to be the funniest double act around!!
Still brilliant!!!
kaetae10 April 2002
Often in a drama, the sparkle's gone by the second series but that is definitely not the case! Each episode of Teachers causes deep side-splitting belly laughs and tears to your eyes. Andrew Lincoln's Simon is award-winning worthy, but there will most definitly be arguments when it comes to a favourite character! I recommend this show to anybody with a television.
Best TV since "spaced"
Monstro-19 May 2002
This show owes a lot to Alley McBeal, not in terms of Drama/Comedy ratio, but in terms of the imagination thats gone into it with loads of weird out of place hallucinations. Funny as hell, and not as bogged down in neurosis as McBeal, and with not a hint of romance in the air.

Great soundtrack too, with at least one cool song per show. 9/10
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Series 4 a classic, the rest merely OK
gut-617 January 2007
I started watching "Teachers" rather late in the piece, I think during series 3. I thought it was OK, but not unmissable. The unusual thing about "Teachers" for me was that, though set in a school, the pupils and the teachers' interaction with them was mere background that barely intruded into the episodes. The stories mainly centred around the teachers' interaction with each other. It was clearly comedy-drama rather than straight out comedy. Occasionally it was somewhat funny, but the humour was of the mild, inoffensive, observational, Seinfeldian variety. Some would call that sort of humour subtle. I would call it bland. What's more the comedy was diluted by drama, and was delivered in the telegraphic acting style of crap 1980's American sitcoms. I didn't find the episodes terribly memorable.

Then came series 4. Wow! It was like a completely different show with new characters, new sets, and a new lease of life. Even the old characters weren't quite the same. It was exactly like the difference between "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your enthusiasm", or the difference between MASH the TV show and MASH the movie, between Pete & Dud and Derek & Clive. Not being familiar with the details of the show, I assumed that last series was the first as it was so much more fresh and funny than what had gone before. Bob even looked younger. The mild, bland inoffensive characters had gone, and the nastiness and grotesquery of the nastier and more grotesque (and therefore funnier) characters such as Bob and the headmistress and the fat kid was played up. Most importantly, from being a comedy-drama with somewhat realistic plots it became pure comedy with surrealistic plots that had me howling with laughter numerous times per episode. And the laugh-out-loud jokes and plots dealt with wonderfully, hilariously politically incorrect subjects like masturbation, religion, homosexuality, obesity, mail order brides, death, pupil-teacher shagging, etc.

As with Cook & Moore, many fans of their earlier work felt Derek & Clive was beneath themselves and beneath the performers. Others consider Derek & Clive to be Cook & Moore's crowning glory, even if it did mark the end of their comic partnership. The latter set of fans were right, and the former set can be ignored. Although I gave this program 7/10, it's really 5 or 6 for the earlier eps, and 8 or 9 for the final series.
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
FUNNY,ROMANTIC,ENGAGING SIMPLY BRILLIANT
walkeruk200118 April 2001
Everything about this series is amazin ANDRE LINCOLN is amazing and every person in the series is brilliant.

The class he teaches has students in it with there own story and they also stand out.

11 out of 10