Enter the Matrix (Video Game 2003) Poster

(2003 Video Game)

This is not for gamers, but for movie fans.
mashby27 February 2004
All the reviews I've read say that the game sucks, so why buy it? One reason and one reason only - there's over and hour of DVD quality video in the game. This video isn't just snippets from the three films either. When the Wachowski's shot footage for the video game as they were shooting The Matrix Reloaded and

Do you have to play the video game in order to see the movies. No, just like The Animatrix, you don't have to have played the game in order to enjoy the movie. Yet, there are some very interesting story lines and back stories that you miss if you haven't played it. This content enriches your movie experience. I equate it to watching your favorite television show. Take "Friends" for example. You can sit down and watch any episode of Friends and know what's going on and have a good time watching it. Yet a lot of the enjoyment of the show is the fact that you know about Ross and Rachel's past, or the fact that Monica used to be fat. When you know these back stories, things that happen in current episodes are more enjoyable. "We were on a break!" doesn't mean anything to you if you haven't seen the previous episodes.

The first segment involves going to the post office to collect the package. The second segment involves going to the airport to call all the other captains for the meeting that appears at the start of The Matrix Reloaded. I was very surprised to learn how the captains use the Matrix to leave messages for each other and there is some very funny dialog. While at the airport, you are called upon to save a fellow crew, which greatly expands the level. The third segment involves the meeting of the captains and the subsequent escape after the agents show up. In The Matrix Reloaded, we see Neo fight the agents, but we don't see what happens with the rest of the characters. It's a bit more expanded in the video game. After this third segment, I would recommend that you stop here and watch The Matrix Reloaded. Or at a minimum, watch The Matrix Reloaded, then play the game and then watch The Matrix Revolutions

Throughout the game you're presented with the following elements:

1. Cinematics - through the use of DVD quality video, you see the story unfold with all the main characters from the Matrix Trilogy. They take a few short cuts with the special effects in places, but otherwise it's the same quality of footage as the movies.

2. Animatics - to help transition you from the movie to the game, often times a cinematic with change into an animatic. This simply means that the story unfolds in an animated version using the game engine to render the characters. These cut scenes are just as engaging as the video because they use the actual actor's voices.

3. Game Play - you do actually get to play the game as well. As either Niobe, or Ghost, you navigate your way through the game unfolding the story as you play.

It was no surprise to learn that the game play sucks. As a game, Enter The Matrix is dead on arrival. No matter how powerful your computer is, the game play is going to bog down to a crawl whenever there are a lot of enemies on the screen. The limited ability to save your games is going to cause you to scream more than once. Last but not least, the game play is simply not that engaging. It's very linear and thus you're really only going from point A to point B, press a button, or open a door and the level is over. I'll be honest, as a game, it's a turd.

But that's not the point. The reason for this game is not for you to play it over and over like Quake III, or Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. The purpose for this game is to tell a story. I don't know that a video game is the best medium for telling a story, but I have to give the Wachowski brothers credit for the attempt. To show you that the Brothers simply want you to get to the end, if you get to a point where you can rest, your health will automatically increase. Not just a little at a time, but in 20 seconds you can go from 2% to 100% if you simply stand still (and no one is shooting at you).

Other than the 1 hour of DVD quality video (have I said that enough yet?), the only saving grace is the audio in the game. Dane Davis, the sound designer for the Matrix Trilogies used the exact sounds from the movies. So when you're in bullet time and hearing the guns go off, it's just like you're there. It's weird when the sound effects are the most notable aspects of a game, but they are that good.

The music is also excellent. Don Davis, the composer for the Matrix Trilogies, composed music for the game as well. In addition, there are tracks from Juno Reactor, Chris Vrenna, Fluke, Rob D and others, that add a certain bit of adrenaline to the game play. Great songs to kick butt to.

If you're a die-hard Matrix fan, then I'd recommend buying the game if you can find it on sale. However, you don't have to be a gamer to play this game. Simple button mashing will get you through the game and through all of the stories - which is the point of the whole game anyway. Even if you're not a die-hard fan, the story arcs are good and worth slugging through the game to watch them.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
mdago8821 May 2003
After seeing the movie, i started playing the game. It weaves in and out of the story of the movie, and adds its own never before scenes to move along the story. The hacking is fun to unlock, and the rewards are great (multiplayer fighting). Action, graphics, and in game script are great. It's a wonderful game to along with the movie. 10/10
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enter my review
WakenPayne24 March 2011
This game maybe worthwhile to anyone that likes The Matrix, if you want my opinion this would make a better movie than The Matrix Reloaded. The plot is an interaction with the second Matrix film and you play as back story characters Niobe and Ghost.

Now the game play is fun the story is solid but I give it 9 because of the weak ending it could've been so much stronger all it was is after destroying some sentinels the 2 playable characters talk about what's going to happen next then credits and that is no way to end a game.

This ending just drops more reasons why Matrix Revolutions concludes everything (although it was a very good conclusion but the first one was just as good, just my opinion).

Also to understand the first part of the game as to what the package from the post office you get you have to watch The Animatrix short Final Flight of the Osiris.

Besides those notes it is a worthwhile game and extremely enjoyable.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Game.
martinezkid234-114 March 2005
This is a very GREAT game! I absolutely love it!! Andy and Larry W. did a great job at making this game. Every time I want to play Xbox....this is the first game i play! Its really entertaining. It has clips of the movie.....which are very cool.Also I think the graphics of this game look perfect. I think this game is for all ages.Its just so fun to play. I played it for 8 hours ounce. It has great casting.Great graphs.Great levels. If you have 20$ or whatever you have in your wallet.........BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!Its really worth to buy you know.It has every thing you want.Its real cool. I don't know how many levels there are though..........but there's a lot. Ghost and Niobe are both real cool.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Deleted scenes' from The Matrix Reloaded compiled into a video game.
A_Voice11 December 2013
An average game, as mentioned by other users, the game is not for gamers but movie fans. It is sort of a "Fill In" for many scenes in Matrix Reloaded, or Ghost's or Niaobi's perspective of things.

One can play as Ghost or Niaobi and the game starts with us stealing a tape from a post office. The game moves forward and we get to know what Niaobi's group was doing while Neo and others were trying to get to the key-maker.

When I say about an hour of extra footage, it is live action footage and not some animated one. The game-play is fairly easy and is only for occasional gamers but not for hard core gamers. Another good factor is the sound, which is top notch and the music.

Direction/Animation: Good.

Story/Screenplay: Good.

Acting: Average.

Music: Awesome.

A game for movie fans but not gamers.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the all time best Movie-based games ever made
LaPfieffer9227 July 2013
Seriously, if your a fan of the matrix and you love movie based games done well, then this is the game for you. Yes it is true, this is more for movie/matrix fans then it is for the hardcore gamer. I fall into the former category, I am not or ever will be a "hardcore" gamer. I am a movie fan more, and I did really enjoy the matrix movies, so being able to do bullet time in slow mo, dressed in some slick duds with sunglasses and visiting matrix 1 environments, evading agent smith clones, all the while watching a story made exclusively for the game that ties into the movie, its just a great experience and a fun one. You really do feel you are in the movie world of the matrix, the same creepy vibe you get in films is evident in the game, much more then the other matrix game "path of neo". I thought the graphics were exceptional and well done, even though other reviewers say it looks "rushed", think about it, the game had to tie into the release of the movie and if it at times looks like that, which is rare, it still doesn't look "bad". not at all. this was before xbox 360 graphics and such, so its commendable what they accomplished with this game. Its very interesting story and you can play as 2 characters, and each has different and unique abilities the other doesn't have. 2 different stories, alternate outcomes. its very cool, plain and simple. I've never before or since seen a movie based game done this well or had so much effort put into it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why all the negative hype !?!?
Batkid120 October 2007
This is simply one of the best "movie-to-game" adaptations ever !

This game is basically a background story for "the Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions" and allows you to play as Niobe and Ghost ( voiced and played in the cinematics by Jada Pinkett Smith and Anthony Wong).

The player can be either Ghost or Niobe for each mission, but sometimes the missions will vary due to the character somehow being involved w/ a different aspect of the mission.

This game is fun though, but many gamers don't seem to think that for some unknown reason. Oh well, play it anyway if you love the "Matrix" trilogy or Action/Adventure/SciFI/Thriller games!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Enjoyable (PS2 version)
chris-100027 April 2004
I held off on buying this game because I had heard so much about how it sucked that I wasn't about to drop 50 bucks for a bad game. I picked it up the other day because it has become one of those "Playstation 2 Greatest Hits" titles.

Really what it all gets down to is this: This game is fun to play. Above all else, that's the most important thing in any game. The controls, which so many complain about, were really easy to get used to. I really don't understand what everyone was complaining about. The sound was great, and I really enjoyed the added dimension the cut scenes gave to the films. The graphics were weak, I'll admit. But frankly, I'd rather play a fun game with a good story than a beautiful game with no story that bores me to tears. All in all, it's a good game and if you like the Matrix, get it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
ilovestarwars31 January 2005
Enter the Matrix was the most expensive game made.It was 20 million dollars for its production.But the money made an amazing game, with marvelous graphics, great sounds(of the actors of the movies) and a great difficulty level, making a high fun factor. The game links the "Final Flight of the Osiris" and "Matrix Reloaded".In the first level of the game, the two heroes have to go to a post office and get the letter of Julie, the captain of the Osiris. The game is great, with only a problem: the hacker mode is ridiculous.

The Best: Amazing graphics and sounds

The Worst: the terrible hacking mode

Linking: Final Flight of the Osiris to Reloaded
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adequate game with great hidden value.
Evil Iggy27 October 2003
Lets start by getting the negatives out of the way first.

1. The physics of the game are a little off in that the people don't react the solid objects correctly. Sometimes you will kill or incapacitate an enemy their body will be laying halfway inside a wall or laying flat as if they were on the ground but are actually laying on a one inch rail.

2. The sound in a few FMVs has some kind of echo problem that makes it hare to understand what the characters are saying.

3. Occasionally your character will perform a complex fighting move where they grapple with an enemy and knock them out except they don't pull off the first move correctly, i.e. getting a hold of the enemy, and they will perform the entire sequence of fight moves against thin air.

The first problem is understandable considering that MOST video games don't have accurate physics engines. The other two indicate that The Wachowski Brothers wanted it out in time for the release of Reloaded. The game came out 3/11/2003 and the film 3/15/2003.

Now for the good parts.

1. Other than these few problems the game is quite enjoyable and gives you a very in-depth look at the Matrix reality. Unlike most movie tie-in games this actually compliments the films rather than trying to imitate it or be a condensed version.

2. The game's plot line actually interweaves with the film Reloaded giving you a better understanding of the films complexities.

3. The use of focus power, or bullet time as it is also known, makes for some very impressive hand to hand and gun fighting. For those of you unfamiliar with the Matrix concept (if you don't know any thing about the films then why the heck are you reading about the game?) I will give you a prime example of bullet time so that you can understand the magnitude of being able to control this power.

Five minutes into the first Matrix film we see a woman dressed a black, leather biker's outfit with her hands on her head about to be cuffed from behind by a cop, there are three other's who all have guns trained on her as he approaches. Just as he touches her wrist she quickly spins around, breaks his right arm at the elbow and jams the palm of her hand into his face breaking his nose, all within one second. She then jumps 4 feet straight up into the air and time suddenly grinds to a halt. While time is frozen the camera view rotates 180º showing her poised like the Karate Kid ready to perform a crane kick. Time then resumes normal speed. She kicks the cop so hard that he goes flying backward about 10 to 15 feet into a second officer. She, defying the laws of physics, is not moved back at all by the force of her kick and simply lands back where she was. She quickly kicks the wooden chair she was sitting on into the face of a third officer, stunning him and shattering the chair. The fourth officer aims his gun at her and begins to fire. She runs up a wall along the corner of the room, again defying the laws of physics, and then runs back at the fourth officer ducking and weaving until she is in front of him. She then spins the both of them around until she is facing the third officer, now regaining his composure and taking aim, with the fourth officer behind her facing the same way and her hand controlling his gun. She fires a few rounds at the third officer, presumably killing him, and then whips her leg up kicking the fourth officer in the face over her own shoulder, incapacitating the last of her would be captors. This is what bullet time is about.

The game itself is sufficiently entertaining that if every thing about the matrix were stripped away from it and it were simply an action/adventure/fighting game with no connections to any other product it would still be a decent enough game to stand on it's own. The thing that makes this a good game is that it (like The Animatrix) is more like a compendium to the matrix than an entity unto it self.

All in all I would give this game a. 7.5/10 (10 being excellent, 0 being horrible and 5 being average).
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice idea...don't do it again.
nickbarnes9 November 2003
When I first heard about this game and how it tied in with the Matrix movies I was very interested. Afterall, it sounded like a very unique idea. Unfortunately, I was interested enough to throw away $50 on it. Enter the Matrix is, hands down, the worst video game I have ever played: controls are terrible, graphics are crap, game play is frustrating. As I said, I did think this was an interesting idea--certainly more original than any other video game based off of a movie--and I still do think it is a neat idea. The only real problem was the execution. They spent more money on the rights to use character images than they spent on game design. I know what you're thinking: "but, they had to use images of Niobe and Ghost", but those aren't the character images I am talking about. I talking about the other characters that you don't actually get to play as. One official review I read stated that $10 million alone was spent in order to use the image of Neo. Just imagine what $10 million could have done for game development. If you're thinking of getting this game, do yourself a favor and spend your money on candy. Once again, this idea behind this game is a very good one, but what they failed to realize is that games must be playable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gameplay sucks, but clips worthwhile
BKred6 November 2003
Ok, first off I'm going to say that I got this game free, legally I might add. I was able to get a full rebate from Amazon a while back. And I'm also going to say that I'm glad I didn't end up paying for this. The gameplay was pretty bad, the graphics weren't much better, and the AI was absolutely atrocious. In the driving portions, when you weren't driving, you were lucky to get to the end in one piece. Another thing: square tires are bad; zooming in on clearly square tires is worse. Sure, you could do Focus moves, and they were cool, but they were also useless for the most part. You regenerated health fast enough that you could take a few hits while just running around killing everyone with no real negative effects.

That said, the extra footage/plot info was great. I really feel most of the dialogue in this game was better than could be found in the movies. I really wish Sparks and Ghost had been allowed some character development in the actual movies, Sparks in particular. And it was nifty seeing the Trainman reappear in the movie.

In the end, I'd recommend this game to any, at least slightly serious Matrix fan. But if you're looking for a good game, look elsewhere.
An uneven publicity stunt
bacchus5237631 October 2003
I was ecstatic at the idea of a Matrix video game, but I avoided it after most reviews panned. I finally rented and, like everyone else, was disappointed. The game *cannot* stand apart from either The Matrix Reloaded or Final Flight Of The Osiris. The cut scenes read like the deleted scenes from the film, but without any of the connecting scenes from the movie or exposition explaining what's going on, the game has no coherent story or thru-line.

The game play was decent, but the graphics are far behind other games for GameCube, Playstation, or X-Box. The motion capture often left the animated cut scenes feeling stiff. Also, the lack of in-game displays and indicators made it difficult to differential friend from foe and figure out your next objective. The final stage where you pilot the hovercraft through the underground tunnels is the worst of all in terms of graphics and play control. The game ends without any sense of accomplishment or closure, so I was left feeling unsatisfied.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adequate game with great hidden value.
Evil Iggy27 October 2003
Warning! This review contains a spoiler for "The Matirx."

Lets start by getting the negatives out of the way first.

Now for the good parts.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good gameplay, but with some weaknesses
rockford_hinten13 August 2003
First, I should say that I have played the PS2 and XBox versions of this. They are fairly close to the same--some control differences, of which I would give the advantage to PS2. I have read a lot of reviews of this game, and I see a lot of 10/10 and 1/10. I think both parties are overreacting. The game is pretty good, but could have had some things improved if they had put the time into it. First, good points: *The hand to hand fighting parts are really good. In bullet time, the moves get much better. There are also tons of different moves that you can discover, depending on things like what direction you're coming from, what weapons they or you have, if you are near walls/objects. The auto-rotating camera angles make things harder sometimes though. *Weapons. Lots of them you can get and use. It has some nice shooting features like sniper mode, shooting from around corners, and auto-aiming. Granted, auto-aiming is pretty bad if you are not using focus, but hey, that's one of the points of the game--focus makes everything better. *Cutscenes/video. Filmed just for the game--fills some gaps in the movie. Me like. *Focus. I think this is what makes the game. It enables lots of abilities that make it very like the movie. You can do stuff like sideways no-handed cartwheels, diving toward or away from guys while shooting, jumping farther, running up/along walls, and doing better fighting moves.

Negatives: *Bad AI. The computer controlled guys don't usually show much intelligence. They don't really gang up on you the way they realistically should, and they sometimes don't notice when you attack another guy near them. *Visual glitches. They don't crash the game as far as I've found, but they are sometimes annoying to see. People/objects don't really respond to physical boundaries of other people/objects. I've knocked guys down and seen them lying halfway through a wall. Other times I've knocked them and they fall down lying flat on the hand-rail of a catwalk! *Controls. I understand this could be a little difficult making it cross-platform for different systems. First, I wouldn't even want to try playing this on a PC. It's definitely a game controller game--it requires at least 6 or 7 easily accessible buttons in addition to a joystick/direction pad to make it playable. PS2 had the better controls by a little. The XBox controller has those nice trigger buttons on the bottom, and they make you use a thumb button to shoot with! Also, on both systems, the right joystick was just a toggle switch for going into first-person mode. Also, the joystick control is too sensitive in first-person mode, making sniping difficult, and too sensitive in driving scenes, making them hard to control.

Overall, very fun, but has some areas needing improvement. 7/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best film based game since Goldeneye. Which isn't saying much...
DeadstarOrian30 July 2003
EtM is an average-at-best game. Best to say that now. Its flawed on so many levels that you'll quickly lose count of its problems - frequent glitches occur, the animations don't work, the sub games are too awful for words, the shooting lacks any kind of skill; I could go on and on. In fact, as a game in its own right, its hard to actually say whats good about it (The hacking is a nice, innovative feature and the focus bar makes for some nice touches, but that really is all thats worth noting). "So its crap?" says the games fan in the corner. Nah, thats pretty harsh. Theres just nothing here thats worth buying the game for, at least not when more accomplished titles like Max Payne exist. "A shame, I was looking forward to it..." says the Matrix fan. Then, my friend, you should buy it. Why? Because while it is a shockingly average game, it is perhaps the best use of a movie liscence you will ever see. Cinematics with the Matrix crew, proper voice acting, all the moves and weapons from the films, the soundtrack, its all there as the films portrayed. You get to play as a charecter in the Matrix, in a well recreated, if a tad bland looking and badly modelled, world.

So summed up - average game, excellent liscense. It uses that liscence to the fullest, and any Matrix fan will mostly enjoy it. But as a game, its little more than an average game that knew it didn't need to be good to sell. So if you are that Matrix fanboy, add another 3 to the overall score.

Nice game, but...
beto074 June 2003
It is a nice game to play, the fighting is the best but the graphics are not a surprising thing to see. There are lots of bugs in this game, and the aim is terrible , it is too fast and the auto aim is worst. Driving scenes are not the best, totally different from the movie. But you can drive Niobe´s car in that avenue that appears in the movie when morpheus is on the Truck fighting with an agent.

The good thing in this game are the voices of the real actors from Matrix and sound of the weapons, and of course the fighting.

Bad thing: As i sad auto aim is terrible and the design of the weapons are crappy.

Of course the game will have a sequel, let´s pray that the next one is bettr than this. My average for the game is 7.5
good but flawed
movieman13333 June 2003
'Enter The Matrix' is a very good game, in fact it is one the better action games that have ever come out. It uses the setting of the matrix universe beautifully and expands on the franchise. Featuring a great story with very fun hand-to hand combat and a nice variety of game-play, 'Enter The Matrix' will take you further down the rabbit hole. The graphics are good and re-create the matrix in a good amount of detail. The music is mind-blowing if you have surround sound you will be happy with this game. The game does have its flaws however. One such flaw is the gun combat. Aiming and using the guns effectively in combat is more difficult than it should be especially. When not using focus alot of your bullets will stray and completely miss your targets. The auto lock barely even works, sometimes you will be facing you enemy but your bullets won't fly in that direction. Another problem is that sometimes you will have no idea where in the level you will have to go. Even these minor flaws will not stop you from having a lot of fun with this game. Great license and great fun 'Enter The Matrix' is 8/10.
Good gameplay, bad game
agamer77823 June 2003
I rented this game for PS2 last week. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't buy the thing.

My issues with the game were mostly technical. I enjoyed the gameplay well enough, but often times the FPS(frames per second) would drop way down with multiple enemies. The load times were just ridiculous. I could die 10 steps from where I spawned and have to wait a full 2 minutes to be "jacked back in". And on top of all that, it kept CRASHING on me. I never got past "control tower 2" with ghost because it would crash every time it went to play the cutscene.

The hacking was kind of fun. Although it would've been nice to have a keyboard instead of scrolling to each character. I did enter some cheats before it crashed. Perhaps that's what caused it, but me entering a cheat code is no excuse for the game to crash!

So, while the gameplay(focus time) was fun and entertaining, the technical shortcomings ruined the game for me. I would recommend against spending money on this game. If you want to see the movie tie-in, just rent it for a week and you'll get to see all the cutscenes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad...could have been better though.
supershocker761 June 2003
Enter the Matrix is not a bad game...but certain things keep it from being great. (1) it's too short...I beat it on hard in 3 hrs (2) No Neo and extra characters. I have the GC version of this and for those who have not played it yet: picture Max Payne with hand to hand fighting, and driving levels and you have ETM.

I liked the game despite how short it was...and not to mention how easy it was also. Fans of the series will want to check this out...but if you hated games like Max Payne and Dead 2 Rights...you'll hate this game too.

Enter The Matrix Final Grade

B-
Good but not great
damodaman28 May 2003
The fighting and 'focus' (bullet-time) moves & fighting are phenomenal. The music and sound are very good.

I agree with another user that stated that it appears that this game was rushed giving it an unfinished feeling. While the graphics are good, especially with respect to the motion of your character. The game, however, lacks the attention to detail expected of truly killer games. The world is largely empty & devoid of everything but cops & agents. The background textures & shadows are mediocre at best. I am left feeling a bit empty while playing it.

The integrated plot with the movie is phenomenal. The only beef I have is the fact that I dont like the acting of Jada Pinkett-Smith, she seems overly intense the whole way through. Then again, compared to the voice acting in games like Silent Hill 2 (a game which I loved), it's a massive improvement.

I am going to finish this game but primarily because I am a massive Matrix fan - I want to see the extra movie footage. If I werent a Matrix fan, I dont think that I would complete this game. I give it a 7 out of 10 over all. Rent it before buying it.

Damo
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks like it´s older than Max Payne...
plyx26 May 2003
*** This is for the PC-version (US) ***

Right. Maybe the Game Cube and / or X-box-versions of the game play different, but i doubt it.

Anyway, this game is an outrage. I spend a lot of time playing PC-Games, and I have played a lot of them. I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE! So don´t let anyone tell you that this game is worth 10 out 0f 10 points, and it´s really not worth sixty bucks.

The graphics are way below average. The gameplay is painful. It´s not a FPS, ok, but if you´re characters auto aim, they might at least do THAT, but no, they aim wherever they want, especially when fighting swat teams, you can´t really direct their aiming. Sometimes they "aim" at a cop right in front of you and miss. Blimey. Even worse, when they are out of ammo at one weapon, they simply throw it away and switch to handcombat, instead of switching to next weapon they carry. Right, most of the times that happens, your character dies.

Oh, dying. Not so bad, you might think, i safe very often during the game. No you don´t. THE GAME tells you where to safe, so you might be playing parts of the game very often...

The story, ah, it´s okay, but the levels are more or less the same, it get´s boring very soon.

The only good thing about the game is the kung fu part. Very nice, lot´s of fun, but that doesen´t help after all.

This is one hell of a frustrating game, and i really don´t know why i should waste my time with it.

Matrix license? Nicely put.

This is a cheap rip off.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is no game, at least not a good game. Don't be fooled by the Matrix license
VeZGTR22 May 2003
This is NOT in any way a good game, an average at best! If you have played ONE good game in your life, then by the second level you will see and know that this game was not ready to be sold in stores? Why? Because the game seems to be rushed and wasn't qute finished yet. This is most obvious in the PC ver. In the 2 first days the game began selling in stores, you could d/l 2 patches for the game. There are 2, and only 2 good things whit this game.

1. The Matrix license. Although abused in this title, it's the license that WILL sell and is selling this game. DO NOT BE FOOLED by people that say this game rock! They are blinded whit the license! Try the game, and forget that it has the Matrix license, would you still buy this game? Sadly the only answer is,IF u have played at least 1 good/great game in your life,NO, hell NO!!

Forgive me for my spelling errors.

2. The fighting. That's the most fun part of the game. It's very beautiful, but becomes repetive and is not really advanced, but as i said it's very beautiful, and whit all the Matrix sound samples it really fells like youre in the Matrix.

But do not be folled by my rewiev. Although the fighting is nice, the graphics aren't (for the most part). There are some exceptions, where the game looks quite good, but all to often the graphics are empty, AND please keep in mind that i have the PC ver which has MUCH higher graphics than both the PS2 and GC ver. Can't really compere it whit the X-box but it's probebly kinda like the GC ver.

It's a dam shame that companies can abuse great movie licenses like this, but that just goes to show that most people don't care about how good a game is, they just buy the license and are then blinded by it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it a movie? Is it a game? Is it a shameless cash-in...?
MaxDamage16 May 2003
Is it a movie? Is it a game? Is it a shameless cash-in...? A little of each, really.

Well, I rented this game today... and beat Niobe's story straight away. Okay, so it was a solid 6-7 hours play, and I AM exceedingly good, but this is not exactly a huge long-term investment.

That said, it is a highly enjoyable ride. Technically, the game is pretty rough around the edges. I've been told that the PC port is, to put it lightly, dire, but the Xbox version I played ran silky-smooth with nary a graphical glitch to be seen.

Gameplay-wise.. This doesn't try to be Max Payne. The combat is far more focused on melee combat, with the guns lacking any real 'feel' to them. No feeling of impact, unless you slam someone with a shotgun at point-blank, launching them straight into the wall.. but I digress. The graphics are solid, but not amazing. The level design is good. Very impressive in some parts, disappointing in others. Basically, it's a slightly above-average game. Not surprising really, given that Shiny were rushed through development, trying to get it done for four systems in a small period of time. Ah well.

The story - well, as mentioned in the trailers, they've basically filmed an extra hour of movie to link together the many narrative and action sequences of this game. If you haven't seen the movie, it'll provide spoilers in many respects, but also fill in a few of the big blanks. It's certainly an impressive trip though. Your panicked flight from Agent Smith and 'friends' will be an enjoyable experience, I assure you.

A reccomended rental, if not a purchase. 3.5 (possibly a 4) out of 5
Brilliant!!
joe_wilson16 May 2003
This game is brilliant. The effects are stunning, and the gameplay is amazing. I recommend this to a Matrix fan or someone who like beating up cops, and doing wicked moves. This game is very fun, and the wall running, cartwheels etc, are brilliant. I give this game 10/10.