Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge (TV Movie 2001) Poster

Very Good Movie
kkimball-12 July 2005
Even though there are a few stupid parts, overall I really like this movie. To me, they dumbed-up Debbie Renyolds, and I think Kimberly J. Brown has really improved since the first one. In the first one she seemed very one dimensional and didn't show a lot of emotion, in the second and third she has more character and showed better emotion. The acting is better from everyone and better lines. It doesn't feel like they're just reading off of a script but are putting themselves into it. The magic and the spells are more advanced as Marnie is growing up, and the wardrobe is better suited for all of the characters. I personally like it, I'm actually watching it now and would recommend it to others.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movies!
robinepowell12 September 2005
I really enjoy all three Halloweentown movies though the only thing missing from Halloween High was Marnie's friend Luke. Maybe he's too old to be in High School anymore but that doesn't mean he couldn't have come over to give some moral support. ;-) These movies maybe intended for kids but I really enjoyed them! When the first two came to TV, I taped them and had a neighbour copy them onto a few more VCR tapes for other kids I knew. A Halloween movie that's not at all scary is something I enjoy. I can't wait to buy all three movies on DVD! :o)

I am having someone I know who lives in the U.S. pick up a copy of each movie for me and mail it to me. Though I'm the only with a VCR copy of Halloween High and one day hope to pass the third installment onto all of my neighbourhood kids since I know they enjoyed both Halloweentown one and two.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as "Halloweentown" but still AWESOME
the_moody_youngest25 October 2006
This movie was very good. It was funny, mysterious, cool, and interesting, it wasn't as good as number 1, but it was still great! Disney should keep it going with good movies like these. I liked all of them(except number 4) because of the originality they put into the characters and the plots. The acting was excellent and the character Sophie was still as cute as can be! Dylan grew, certainly grew. He grew all ugly looking and what not. Even more dorky but that doesn't matter. The writing was excellent and it still had all the excitement from the original film. You will enjoy Kimberly J. Brown's performance because she is a great actress and very pretty. Enjoy all of these movies, i suggest buying them ALL!! 9/10
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Halloweentown Movie Yet
Videogames1223 October 2006
This movie is the one of my favorite movies ever!!!!!! Kimberly J. Brown is really good at it. And Daniel Kountz was really good 2. This movie is also funny and a lot more action than the first one. The one thing that I did not like about this movie is the Halloweentown. That gray spell is dumb. Other than that this movie is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sophie was also a good actor too. What was cool is how Mrs. Cromwell turned into that green goblin by Kalabar's Spell. But The First Halloweentown movie is a little better. One funny thing about this film is when that girl became Dracula and said "I'm also really thirsty". That was really funny. Halloweentown II Kalabar's Revenge is awesome!!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of those rare TV movies with a plot
ll-world9 November 2002
The thing that distinguishes Halloween II from other TV movies is the fact that it has an actual plot. Most of the TV movies I've seen have the plot of a fourth-grade picture book.

This film's storyline actually works for the most part. The only flaw is the time travelling. If they could travel through time, why not stop Kalabar before all of this every happened?

I thought Kimberly J. Brown's performance was brilliant. She has the charm and the ability to be the next major child actress. All she needs to do is to put a bit more emotion to her acting.

Also, the special effects were impressive for a TV movie. It's hard to find TV movies with special effects comparable to a full-length film. The special effects here surpasses many theatrical productions.

Obviously, this is not an Oscar-worthy film, but it's very impressive for a small-budget film.

Final rating: 3 out of 4.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Symbolic to "Return to Oz" movie
SwedeAce30 October 2001
I've seen the first movie and this one. They are both enlightening and entertaining. The actors portrayed a great job with their character roles.

As soon as I saw when Marnie and her grandmother travelled back to Halloweentown and found it all gray, boring and in ruins, it really reminded me of another movie sequel I've seen somewhere else. It really had a symbolic meaning to "The Wizard of Oz's" 1985 sequel, "The Return to Oz", where pretty much the same thing happens. The heroine returns and finds her "hometown" and must fight the evil lead character to bring it back to normality and give it its zest of life. It was was symbolic and interesting. If you haven't seen "Return to Oz" (a Disney movie that's labeled as being 'dark'), I would recommend you watch it and lightly compare it with "Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge." I liked that!

Great job, Disney!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Halloween Movie!
samitrmw31 October 2019
I love this movie! I've seen it dozens of times and watch it every Halloween. The villain, Kal, is my favorite villain out of all the Halloweentown films. I was hoping he'd make a comeback, since Luke the Goblin said he'd be back, but they didn't include him in the third movie.

Of course, Aggie, the witch Grandmother is awesome too!! Marnie is great in all three of series. They used a different actor for the last Halloweentown; which I didn't like. Studios should keep the same actors.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best!
nyc_bound419 October 2005
This is not a "bad movie" at all. I never watched the movies at all until like a week ago and i thought the movie was VERY good!!! It was one of the best movies I've seen. I thought it was also a very good plot. Marnie Cromwell had to save her family before it was too late and she did. It's not a remake it's a sequel. It was a very good continuation of what I can understand, even though I've never seen the first one and this was my first time watching the second one. i thought it was weird how when marnie met Luke and didn't know he was really evil so he stole aggie's spell book and used it against them. So the movie was excellent and i would recommend it to anyone and everyone!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad film, but not great
Mouldyman12 February 2007
I've not seen the first film so I can't comment on what other people have said regarding the plot line's similarity to the first.

I found this film interesting though. It's clearly aimed at kids and I think that kids would find it entertaining. I have to admit the plot didn't completely make sense, and there were some parts that just made no sense at all. But I suppose that the target audience probably wouldn't be too worried about the inconsistencies.

The plot centres around the granny witch's spellbook which is stolen and used to place a 'grey spell' on halloweentown, turning the town listless and uninteresting (although I found the 'boring' characters more entertaining than the lively ones, I never thought seeing someone sort socks would amuse me so much). The young witch then has to attempt to regain the book despite not seeming to know her arse from her elbow.

At no point in the film was I bored but I was slightly annoyed by the ending given that it was something she could easily have done at the start of the film.

In total I'd give this film 6/10 allowing for the fact it's not aimed at me, and young kids would probably enjoy it.
Great Movie!
thespark21526 October 2003
I loved it. It was even better than the first one. I am hoping that they make a third movie. I loved how they incorporated the son, Dylan this time. It is a really good family oriented movie. I will be watching it every Halloween from now on!
Better than the original
mrduckbear27 October 2001
I thought this movie was really good. especially during this time of the year, it's waay better than the original. finally there's more magic using, and the effects seemed to have gotten better this year. judging from the ending of this film, their might and i'm hoping there will be a 3 installment. if you're from Canada, you'll wanna see it on the Family Channel, cause they don't show it on any other major stations.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
much better than the first!
SabeAmidala17 October 2001
I'm really not sure how I wound up watching this one; After all, I despised the first movie. But somehow I always wind up watching the Disney Channel. And I have to say that I was really impressed by this one! It was just... different than the first. I thought the characters were more developed, and they weren't acting like idiots. And the plot... wow, this one actually had a plot.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Sequel...
Angelyc13 October 2001
This was a nice sequel to Halloweentown. The plot was engaging. The acting was just as good as the first one. The villain was amusing, yet not sugar-coated. The character development from the first one to the sequel was VERY well done. No being a big fan of TV movie sequels I was pleasantly surprised.

Bottom line... if you liked Halloweentown... you like Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Halloween Classic
francoischristana12 August 2021
This is the second movie in the Halloweentown series. Marnie was having a Halloween party at her home in the mortal world and her new neighbor Kal stopped by she instantly developed a crush on him. Marnie wanted to impress Kal so she took him to her grandmother Aggie magical room and when she wasn't paying attention Kal stole the magic book. In Halloweentown, the grey spell has been cast and Marnie find out Kal is Kalabar's son and wants revenge for his father so he is trying to complete the spell his father didn't get a chance to finish. My favorite character in this movie is Gort who is a hoarder.
Best Halloweentown!
Calicodreamin30 October 2020
My personal favorite in the Halloweentown franchise, acting is far improved from the first and the storyline introduces awesomely bad Kal. Storyline is well developed and awesome costumes and effects.
For me it was okay
ericstevenson25 April 2018
While everyone recognizes the "High School Musical" Disney Channel original movies, that actually wasn't the most prolific Disney Channel original movie series. It's actually this lesser known one called "Halloweentown". The title is quite misleading as Kalabar doesn't even appear in this. He died in the last one and actually stayed dead. This movie instead tells the story of his son trying to get revenge by turning the inhabitants of the monster world into humans and vice versa. The monochrome effects are done quite well.

The downside is that we don't get to see many of the monsters and they usually just stay in the same location. I haven't seen the first film in ages, but I at least remember that it was more creative with more variety. These movies are by no means great, but I'd still choose them over the "High School Musical" films. Okay, that's not much of a compliment but at least they made more of them. The grandmother Aggie is probably the most likeable character. Apart from being a witch, she's depicted very realistically. **1/2
Meh...
fotia_autos12 April 2008
I usually like weird, kind of dark movies but this one was just... cheesy. The acting was pretty bad, even for amateurs. The script was all too obvious, the plot had potential but bad costuming and set design ruined it all. Many of the ideas seemed stolen (i.e. doesn't Halloweentown sound at all familiar, hmmm? Or the idea of wizard school?) Overall it was a pretty boring movie. Many lines were meant to be funny but just...weren't. It wasn't even bad in a good, funny way, just bad in a torturous fakey, boring way. Overall I would not suggest this movie unless you want your IQ to be lowered. But it might be o.k. for really little kids who just want a fun movie.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great follow-up
MKPluto18 December 2001
great movie. I recently saw harry potter, and I think this movie was better than that. the special effects are superb! Just the level of scariness to keep the kids on the edge of their seat. Thanks, disney! you have once again made a great movie for kids and adults alike.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best of the Halloweentown Movies
koltonbrett19 January 2022
A mysterious spell has been cast over Halloweentown taking away its magic, but it doesn't take away the charm of this movie.

This is a fun movie. I may not have had a lot of good things to say about the first Halloweentown, but it laid down that foundation that this movie builds on so successfully. Everything in this second movie is an improvement over the first. The story is better, the acting is better, the villain is better, and it's funnier and more mature. There are some new interesting places and characters. Marnie is much more likable this second time around and Debbie Reynolds is fantastic as usual.
A Decent Followup
TheMysteriousReviewer24 October 2021
Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge is a decent followup. But I will say that the movie can be a bit of a downgrade from the first film due to a predictable story. And we don't really learn anything new to most of the characters. At least it is one of Disney Channel's better sequels. Again, it can have a pretty nice followup from the first. Some of the editing can seem to improve. Kal can give us a good personality as Kalabar's son. And the concept of what happens when Halloweentown becomes an average world does sound interesting. Normally I'd say this would be an okay pick for Halloween time. But I would mostly recommend for those that love the first film and would like to see what follows it up. Because the best way to put it is just a simple followup.
Very cute...
RosanaBotafogo10 October 2021
Very cute, not as good as the first one, but kept the light and fluffy line, with little teenage passion... And the cutest little monsters, very silly, but adorable...
Dear Lord...
Firework02218729 October 2002
Now, I've seen some pretty bad sequels in my day, but this one was just plain terrible!!!!! The acting was worse, the story was lame, and Kimberly J. Brown really grates my cheese. She can't act!!!!!! I hated this one, the first one may not have been Oscar material, but it was a hell of a lot better. Did anyone else realize that they had a completely different looking Halloweentown? That was a pretty dumb mistake. I guess the thing that really got me too was that the ending was almost the same as the first, Marnie stands up to the big bad using her own will power... how tacky. This movie gets a 1/10
7 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Movie Ever
WitchMarnie129 July 2003
I think this is the best movie ever cause when i first saw halloweentown i totally loved it and then when i saw halloweentown 2:Kalabar's Revenge i totally loved it too. and if you haven't seen the first halloweentown then you probably won't understand halloweentown 2:Kalabar's Revenge.

*MARNIE CROMWELL*
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hello
willow-6122 August 2002
I just saw this film and really enjoyed it, I am now going to try to find the first one from somewhere. I recommend this film to anyone of all ages and whatever religion. I really enjoyed all the characters and thought that Dylan was funny and Sophie and even better character.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every bit as bad as the first one!
BHorrorWriter15 October 2001
Stupid, complicated, and utterly ridiculous script...The characters were bland and dull! Debbie Reynolds seemed to have not spirit during the film...She looked bored! The concept of Kalabar having a son, and him being a warlock was just duh! And the time travel thing!!?!?!?! Too sensational, even for Disney and Children of any age.

Too talkie...not enough action, but where there were effects, they were very juvenile, and looked bad. Nothing great to say about this one...nor the first..both were perfect examples of bad Diseny movies. No creativity or imagination was put into this film.

2 out of 10
2 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.