Max Keeble's Big Move (2001) Poster

Greatest Film of All Time
maxlovstedt29 March 2019
This movie has Tony Hawk,Josh Peck, AND Reese from Malcolm in the Middle. This film singlehandedly made 2002 the golden age of movies.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUNIOR HIGH HYPERBOLE - Lighten up !
cmkmhall21 October 2001
Take it easy, folks !! This is only a MOVIE, and this one is intended to be a fanciful exaggeration from the word go. I took my 11 yo son to see it, and he had no problem understanding that.

Isn't this movie supposed to be an extreme comic view of the unfair world of junior high from an underdog's point of view? Think of The Three Stooges - did anybody take their scripts to task? No, but everybody LAUGHED!

Better judgment triumphs in the end in most respects, in Max Keeble's Big Move. And Max earns respect not because he's the toughest, but because his turnabout beats the bullies at their own game, and because he won't let his buddies take the rap alone.

This movie, and Shrek, See Spot Run, Cats & Dogs, and Spy Kids, are some of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in the last 10 months. Not since "What Women Want" or "The Brothers" have I seen an adult movie that was near as funny as any of these kiddie movies. (Okay, add in "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou".)

I only hope that overly critical attitudes aren't congenital.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amusing for Adults
Nezz25 February 2002
Amusing for adults, a blast and a half for pre-puberty members of the family, Max Keeble is just good junior high fun.

Resiliently taking it all in stride, Max (and friends) absorb typical 6th grader abuse: the school yard bully, the angry principal, retaliatory ice cream man, and a looming move out of state. Each of these "villains" play rather cartoony. Larry Miller as always nails the dimwitted, egocentric, greedy, fumbling principal. (He's also very good in Princess Diaries.) Noel Fisher covers the leather jacket, wallet-chain-wearing bully role well too.

The triangle of friends, in contrast to the buffoony bad guys, hang closer to the kinds of kids we know (or used to be).

So when Max learns that his family will suddenly be moving to Chicago, he decides to return a few transgressions inflicted on himself and his friends. Ah, the sweet tingles of revenge ("Home Alone" style). "I don't just have a plan ... I have a planetarium!!!"

And so begins a three-day extravaganza for which the bumbling bad guys are just not ready. Eventually, Max gets more than his original bargain and finds himself teetering precariously on the brink of a friendless abyss.

"Any kid can make a mess. It takes man to clean it up."

Some somewhat stereotypical themes are peppered tastefully with carefully shot fun, good acting, and a strong sound track that accentuates the folly.

I simply love the scene where the school's sexy science teacher strolls across the classroom setting each Bunsen burner a light as she passes, simply because she is perceived to be the "hottest" teacher in the school.

Coincidentally, Alex D. Linz and Zena Grey (Max Keeble and best friend Megan) enjoyed my particular screening from the front row.As the credits rolled, they stood up and boogied to the soundtrack. A good time, take the kids.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Legendary kids film
UniqueParticle26 December 2019
I love this movie so much! I Don't have any complaints, the soundtrack is great, so much is adorable and innocent. I absolutely love the dialogue throughout Max Keeble's Big Move is so wonderful!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A Great Movie, But Was Entertaining.
movies2u25 January 2002
This movie had a lot of laughs for a younger audience, and was entertaining. The young actors including Alex D. Linz and Zena Grey weren't bad. The movie wasn't boring, and kept the story moving along rather well. This movie is a good one for around eight year olds- ten year olds, or maybe eleven. I give Max Keeble's Big Move a 7 out of 10. :)
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific
xrdax21 July 2002
Max Keeble's Big Move was an excellent movie! I thought it was very funny and that even though some people cannot relate to him,it still appeals to all ages. At my movie theater when it first came out,it was really hard to get tickets. High school and middle schoolers were in line too. The movie and the school it was taken in,relate very much to my middle school here. I just don't know what else to say but that I loved it.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair slapstick movie
Dhrivnak5 October 2001
I took my 12-year-old son at his request to the movie. I would have to say he enjoyed it more than I. It is aimed at juvenile humor and while not bad it has few redeeming qualities. As many such files the kids are very smart and clever while all the adults are totally inept. I will say it did have a good and appropriate ending.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a horrible kiddie flick, but...
matrixchic0075 August 2002
Max Keeble. Well then. Not horrible, but definitely not the best. The jokes are O.K., the cast isn't too bad (where have I seen all them before?), and the food fight was a hit. However, the little scenes between "Max" and "Jenna" weren't very good at all. Come on, what 9th grader would actually notice a 7th grader. Possible, not likely. It's a movie, though. I guess the directors can have their fun. This movie wasn't totally bad, it just needs a little more...something. 6 out of 10 for Max Keeble.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent family film
Spanner-221 October 2001
Terrific kids film about a junior high student who gets tired of being tormented and vows to get his revenge after learning that his family is going to move away. Solid kid performances and lots of fun moments definitely make this one worth taking the kids to. GRADE: A
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Loved This Movie As A Kid And Now.
powermandan5 May 2015
As a grown man, it is rare for me to like kid's movies and/or like the same kid's movies as much as I did before. Some of them I still like just because of the nostalgia feel--I don't think I would have liked some if I saw them for the first time today. Max Keeble's Big Move is not one of those. I think I would have loved this movie regardless of my age and intellect.

This movie feature a few stars along with future stars that were still making their names. It stars Home Alone 3's Alex D Linz as the title character and a fat Josh Peck as his best friend Robe. Because I love this movie so much, I may always see Peck as a fat nerd. It also features Larry Miller, Nora Dunn, Jamie Kennedy, Zena Grey, Orlando Brown, Noel Fisher and Robert Carradine.

The movie is about Max entering the 7th grade, where he must be subjected to bullies, peer pressure and an odd faculty. Max's salesman father (Carradine) gets news that he must move to Chicago and Max is shocked. But he soon sees it as an opportunity to enact revenge on all those wrong with the school. Things take a turn for the worst when the school suffers even more and Max finds out he doesn't have to move after all. Uh-oh!

The first thing this has that is needed for a bully movie is the sense of realism and comedy. Max Keeble is able to find the perfect balance between these. The comedy never runs out of fuel and it is there to make everything that much better. Max's plans for revenge are so funny and genius. There's one scene where he starts a food fight to make Principal Jindrake (Miller) look bad. I would honestly say it is the best food fight ever filmed; better than Animal House, Problem Child 2 and others. There's many other scenes that make this wonderful.

Max Keeble was back in the days when characters in family movies were made with such depth and like-ability. Max is a preteen who is trying to figure out the world and think he is doing well, when it really just makes everything worse for everybody. These characters give good lessons on bullying, revenge and egos. Just because he thinks he won't be there to be punished, Max let's his whole revenge scheme get to his head and thinks he's the greatest. All he did was stoop to the other bullies' level, making him the worst of them all. What happens to Max is very common. I could relate to all characters, not just Max.

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest movies ever!
bartender364 July 2002
This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed it! The action is non stop with plenty of twists and turns; you never know what's going to happen next. The brilliantly written story line, the outrageously funny Larry Miller (who played the principal Mr. Jindraike), and the super talented Alex D. Linz were an absolute winning combination. I laughed all the way thru the film. (I liked it as much as my kids did!)

A superbly directed film by Tim Hill. His unique style brings to life a very interesting story about three friends just starting junior high school. His fast moving telling of the story grabbed me at the beginning and held me all the way to the end, roaring with laughter.

What made this a most excellent film, was the great interaction between the three main characters: Max (Alex D. Linz), Megan (Zena Grey), and Robe (Josh Peck). They blended together flawlessly. Super, super talented actors that were just plain fun to watch!

This movie reminds you that no matter what happens, friends are one of the most important qualities of life.

A cool, light hearted comedy for the whole family!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Max Keebles big move.
jelideli3 June 2004
Max Keebles Big Move, is a very funny family movie, kids will enjoy along with the rest of the family, the movie is based on a boy named max ( alex linz) who is told he is moving to chicago, max really doesn't like the idea as he just started his first week at high school along with best friends megan (zena grey) and robe ( josh peck) this is supposedly his year in his town starting high school and making good friends, out of spite of moving he takes advantage of the fact that he will be in chicago after the first week of high school.So max gets revenge on all of the bully's, i wont say no-more you must watch it i have watched this over 100 times, i think i need a new copy!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
chrishewittpiano19 March 2002
I think that Max Keeble's Big Move is a fun movie that young kids can enjoy. I also like it because most people can relate to tha main character. I cannot believe that some people think that this movie is awful. It is pretty funny and has remarkable actors and actresses. I think that the plot is very creative. The situations are very witty. I am only 12 years old and some adults may think it is boring but it is definintly a funny and classy movie for pre-teens.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bestestimes
bestestimes25 January 2020
Good movie. Watched so many times. Good to see Orlando Brown again. Sad to see how his life turned out. He was classic on "That's So Raven". Should have stayed with Disney. As always Robert carradine played the goofy stereotypical dad of Max. Good to see the bullies get there due's. Adam lambergs (Gordo off Lizzie McGuire) one line was lame. "Rinky Stinko the garbage king". Great movie. If give it 8/10. You might see many familiar faces. Like the doorman on seinfeld... Worth a look on Disney +
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, fun, over the top kids' film
smarttdj27 December 2009
I think the film has to be seen for what it is - a good, fun, over the top kids film. Don't take movies like this too seriously. If you expect anything other than this, you will most likely be disappointed. If you're expecting something reasonably suitable for adults, you will be disappointed.

For those who are unaware, the film is about a boy (Max) who finds out he's moving house & uses it to take revenge on those who have bullied him. He then finds out he's not moving &, having "forgotten" to attend his going away party with his friends, has to make amends with everyone & still deal with the bullies.

There are some good solid performances in this film, particularly from Alex Linz (Max), Zena Grey (Megan) & Larry Miller (Principal Jindraike). Even if the plot is totally unrealistic, as are most of the characters. If you just sit back, relax & enjoy it though, you'll find it's pretty good.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was OK, but not great.
computerfreak6529 August 2002
I liked it, I mean it was funny, but still Middle School is really not like that, and where would you find the time to say put Robe in that glass cage? And wouldn't Troy McGinty get in trouble too for coming into the auditorium late as well as Max?

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. I mean, it wasn't THAT bad!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
McGoogles is me name
MissSimonetta28 December 2020
Wow. I remember watching this on VHS as a kid. Now, it's a fun time capsule to the early 2000s, where some of the 90s influence still lingered. As a kid comedy, it holds up pretty well. I still find a lot of this very funny, especially the evil ice cream man and the McGoogles-phobic bully.

God, 2020 is making me miss 2001, bad fashions and all.
Sluggish watch
r96sk13 October 2020
An incoherent mess.

It's clearly aimed at the kid audience so I won't hate on this too much, but even so it's a pretty sluggish watch. Alex D. Linz (Max) is alright, while a pre-'Drake & Josh' Josh Peck (Robe) appears, but everything else is lame.

The concept is decent, though the execution is anything but. There's also an iffy love story in there, while the attempted message is a little blurred by the end. It feels like they created a funny short story and turned it into a feature length, without much thought.

If you liked this, fair enough. For me, however, 'Max Keeble's Big Move' is awful.
Absolutely Love it!
chrisleary-3406725 September 2020
Well, I just love this movie and can only say that about a few movies I have watched in my 45 years. My daughter loves it as well all the characters and especially the headmaster who is just so funny and such a great fun story to watch again and again...timeless I would say.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A family movie everyone needs to see!!
kiddcarl-cornell9 October 2010
I must say, I enjoyed this movie when I was 8, and still feel the same way right now at the age of 16. This is a movie that the whole family should see! Not only will kids and teens find it funny, adults will find it funny due to some of its adult humor. The film stars "Drake & Josh"'s Josh Peck, "Snow Day"'s Zena Grey, SNL's Nora Dunn, and "Home Alone 3"'s Alex D. Linz in the title role. Again, many kids might not get some of the risqué humor, but the adults will. So, when you're having a family movie night and can't possibly think of a movie, get this one. You'll love it! This film is also very coming of age for most younger viewers, but that won't be too much of an issue with them.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alex D. Linz was the only great actor in this movie.
PerfectDarkZeroFan27 December 2005
Well maybe Zena Grey had some talent here but thats just about it. As usually this is the second Alex D. Linz movie that I say was only a good movie because he was in it; like Home Alone 3 and Full Court Miracle. This is a great movie but could have been better if they replaced every character except Alex Linz, Zena Grey, and maybe the principle. I find Josh Peck very annoying as I usually do; he screwed this movie up very badly; man I just hate Robe. But on the movies storyline which makes up Max Keeble goes to this animal shelter to see the animals but the principle buys the rented property and Max tries to protest but that fails when the principle takes down his posters and then Max does it his own way by sneaking into the school at night to checkout the funds for the school and put something is his mouth-spray to attract the animals; and it goes on from there between the feud between Max and the principle.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do we really have to write a summary?
booalu6 August 2005
I really liked this movie. The ending area was my favorite part, when Max holds Megan's hand, that was really nice. But how could you forget your own going away party? I would be crushed if the guy I liked stood me and my other best friend up for his own going away party. I think that the acting was good. I don't really think that bullies would charge you to go to the restroom though.... Plus, who writes their victim's name on their own shirt, wouldn't your parents say something? And I also don't think that the school would allow students to bully other students like that, it's almost impossible to hide a name on your shirt... Why was that one bully afraid of that cartoon character, what did the cartoon do to the kid? WOW this movie is really old. It's crazy. but I still liked it, I thought it was cute. But it had too much of a happy ending. The girl gets the guy, the bullies get taught a lesson, and the kid saves the school... There could of been a sequel to this, the way it got left off. Oh, I gotta get back to that movie.
awesome
azndolfin5 March 2005
As a fourteen year old, I think this movie was decent. Some parts were cheesy, like the evil ice cream man, but that was the fun of it right? It was fun to spot actors and actresses that were in different things and put into one project. Like the principal is Paolo from Princess Diaries, Max from Full Court Miracle, Robe from Josh and Drake, The yearbook guy from Malcom in the Middle, Max's Dad from Lizzie McGuire, The secretary from That's So raven, yes i'm a Disney freak, and many many others! This kept me awake from my tired day of practice. Some parts were not as full of adventure, but it was pretty cool. It was something different, and thats what makes it unique.
This movie is great!!!
A24sevenFan8 September 2002
I think this is a charming movie about Max Keeble (Alex D. Linz) who finds out when he comes home on the first day of school,that he's moving to another state. Meanwhile,Max forms up a plan to get back at the bullys. But going from under-dog to top dog has it's share of not only goodies,but baddies too. AND to top it off like a cherry, Max finds out that he's NOT moving after all!!! This movie is great for the kids.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what are you guys talking about?
bebe7134 August 2002
First off I would like to say that this is a Disney movie. If your not catching my hint, it is for children. I think that it is a well written, light hearted and good humored movie. Stop comparing it to Braveheart!!!!!! It is intended for a younger audience.do you kids a favor and rent it, you will see it's well worth it. If it makes them happy, that means your happy, right?