Undeclared (TV Series 2001–2003) Poster

(2001–2003)

Your quintessential modern college series, "Undeclared" is a rich character comedy treat for those burned by the loss of "Freaks and Geeks"
liquidcelluloid-116 October 2005
Network: Fox; Genre: Comedy; Rating: TV-14 (language, adult content and suggested sex); Available: DVD; Perspective: Modern Classic (star range: 1 - 5);

Seasons Reviewed: Complete Series (1 season)

After NBC's cancellation of the soulful high school dramedy "Freaks and Geeks" (an act still devastating for that minority that actually puts thought into what they watch on TV), producer Judd Apatow lead a heartbroken cast and crew on his own personal mission to recreate the fun of "Freaks" under a new title, a new setting and a logically progressive premise. Out of Apatow's stress, bitterness, anger and undeniable raw talent, comes "Undeclared". Unfortunately, he took the idea to Gail Berman's Fox network in the middle of the gluttonous reality show fad. But before that inevitable cancellation befell the unluckiest guy in the business, "Undeclared" was a charming, intensely enjoyable little concoction.

"Undeclared" doesn't just take the kids from high school to college, Apatow advances it into a contemporary setting, cuts the length in half and this time goes for straight comedy instead of a dramatic mix. Also families who felt they could gather around "Freaks" should hed the warning that "Undeclared" is decidedly more adult, delving into all the sophomoric humor and sexual situations you'd expect from a group of guys on their own for the first time - but under Apatow's lense, you've rarely see it with this level of sophistication.

Mirroring Apatow's search for public acceptance, "Undeclared" stars Steven Karp (perfectly cast Jay Barucel, play quite possibly the most unabashedly geeky main character TV has given us) as our underdog college freshman who seeks to change his geeky high school image with his new found freedom at UNEC - the University of North Eastern California. With the help of his roommate, British ladies man Lloyd (Charlie Hunnan) and suite-mates Ron (Seth Rogen, "Freaks and Geeks", now blessed with a meatier roll and writing credit) and Marshall (Timm Sharp, "Six Feet Under") they seek any means to amuse themselves between the late-night cram sessions and all-day Girls Gone Wild binges. "Undeclared" captures the sheer boredom of the freedom that comes with college better than any show I've ever seen. Across the hall is Steven's new crush, Lizzie (Carla Gallo), and dorm hotty Rachael (Monica Keena, a star in the making). Most of the action takes place inside the dorm and like "Freaks" it is populated with a colorful group including suit-mate Susan Payano, "the new Harris" Jared Groddie, Amy Pohler and Steven's divorced dad, Hal (Loudan Wainwright III), who can't seem to stay away.

This time, now desperate for a hit, Apatow is trying to hard to please, lining up big name guest star friends like Adam Sandler, Fred Willard, Will Ferrell, Mary Kay Place and Ben Stiller. But the real fun, particularly for Apatow fans, comes when the "Freaks" alumni start showing up and "Undeclared" becomes a full-on class reunion. Jason Segal about steals the series once again in the obsessive boyfriend role. Samm Levine, Martin Starr, Busey Phillips, Nattasha Melnick and Steve Bannos all make return appearances in new characters. Levine, in particular, is an absolute hoot as a pickle-obsessed frat leader in the must-see 2-part satire of fraternity life "Rush and Pledge" and "Hell Week".

OK, I'll admit, neither "Freaks and Geeks" nor "Undeclared" may not sound like the most compelling thing in the world on paper. But Apatow's genius lies in his ability to create characters so real they could be your best friends and fosters a tightly cohesive chemistry among the cast. He makes us love each of them in some way. The show is made up of individual moments, a highlight being a dance-off between Keena and Payano that threatens to bring back OMC's "How Bizarre". The laughs live almost entirely on character bits. Like "Geeks", this is a show you lounge in. Its world is so lasting that, with only 13 episodes, "Undeclared" is one of those shows that grows in your mind the more you think about it and the further from it you get.

The saddest part of all this is that "Undeclared" was canceled right as it appeared to have hit it's stride. The first half of the series, while still fun, is clearly a work in progress before the show finds itself and we kick into classic material in the last half. "Freaks and Geeks" is a modern masterpiece and it says a lot that this semi-sequel is a worthy follow-up. Those stung by the short life of "Freaks" should find solace in this gem. "Undeclared" was not just another trip to the cliché-free teen series for Apatow, but it is the quintessential modern college series. Hip, insightful, compact, funny and lots of fun. Of all the recent shows that where cut down too soon, "Undeclared" ranks high on the list. It is one of those TV shows, like "Geeks" that will be appreciated by those who don't even like TV.

* * * * / 5
37 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never got a decent chance
matlock-67 October 2002
Watching this show helped me relive my college days (just a couple years ago). However, that's only part of the reason I enjoyed "Undeclared".

The characters were funny and realistic on certain levels. Steve Karp was the kind of lead character many guys, if not all, could relate to. The girls weren't too bad on the eyes either. Hopefully, most, if not all, will continue to find work as I felt all of them deserved more than this.

I'm surprised that FOX gave up on this so soon. I'm not sure what is going on over there, but they were once known for weird, irreverent, silly, sometimes low budget and clever tv shows. It seems lately that FOX can't do enough to make themselves seem "mainstream".

Sad to see it go.
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great show from the producers of Freaks and Geeks
PhilR-316 October 2001
I was surprised and delighted to find out that Undeclared is by the same guy who produced both Freaks and Geeks & The Critic. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised, as all three are great shows. It makes me wonder how FOX stays on the air at all with such bungled marketing campaigns. They made Undeclared seem like a brainless teen sex show when it is in fact a smart and very funny half hour of tv. I dislike trendy crap that usually turns on the TRL generation, and the ads made this show seem like it would be in the same vein as other WB crapfests.... but it is a great show. Give it a chance, you will not be disappointed.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This has a lot of promise
jondaris25 September 2001
The ad campaign Fox ran made this show seem like a TV version of 'American Pie." The truth is much better; in fact, this has the potential to be a truly great show. Produced by Judd Apatow, creator of the much-missed "Freaks and Geeks," Undeclared has many of the same elements that made F&G so loved.

Funny, painful and sweet at the same time, Undeclared will bring back memories of what young adulthood truly is like. Jay Baruchel plays freshman Steven Karp with just the right mixture of burgeoning self-confidence and massive insecurity. The opening scene, where he celebrates his newfound adulthood by tearing his X-Files poster in half, then immediately becoming overwhelmed by remorse, is a classic.

A premiere does not a show make, but this has a lot of promise. Especially for those of who continue to mourn F&G, Undeclared show offers something we haven't seen since the former show's demise: an intelligent, emotionally true portrait of youth.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show that would have done what Friends did to its actors
deftoners29 February 2004
A shame this show was canceled from FOX. But I guess they needed to make more room for crappy Reality shows and more room for new Sitcoms and cartoon shows that they will yet again cancel so it becomes a full circle (Futurama, and the godly Family Guy).

The show itself was smart, hilarious, and all characters were different, unique and everyone could relate to one of them. From the party/girlgrabbing Brit to the meek lead character played by fellow Canadian Jay, the Virgin, the Skank and we can't leave out the Moron and the Perv/Geek. This show took all the college stereotypes and played it out well. The storylines on each episode were original, quirky, and just plain funny. FOX if it wasn't for the Simpsons and American Idol, you'd be in the gutter.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Undeclared" and it's perfect cast truly shine!
Clay-Pigeon26 September 2001
This is a rare television gem that relies on originality and cleverness to bring a diverse group of characters to life without using the usual sitcom gimmicks to drag it down. The series is fast-paced going quickly from one funny little scene to another all the while showing us the quirkiness of these University of North Eastern California students. One thing that makes this fun and smart show stand out even more is the fact that the show was cast first and then a pilot was written based on the personalities of the primary actors making their characters even more funny and human than any others on TV. Make time to see this wonderful show and I'm sure you won't regret it. The writing is excellent and the cast truly shines in what I'm sure will be star-making performances. I only hope people will see this great show for what it is, appreciate it and not let it suffer the same fate of producer Judd Apatow's previous effort the marvelous "Freaks and Geeks".
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Freaks and Geeks, but it was good (and getting better every episode)
zetes14 September 2008
Apatow's followup to Freaks and Geeks was this Fox series, about college freshmen living dorm life. Watching this after F&G was probably a mistake, because it pales in comparison. Or at least it seems to at first. It's more sit-commy, and at only a half-hour, compared to the full hour of the earlier show, it doesn't seem to have the time to develop its characters. Over the first half of the episodes or so, I was thinking it was okay, but not too much over mediocre. But then I started to latch onto it, started to like its quirky sensibilities. It may be closer to a sit-com than F&G, but it's no Home Improvement or Full House. The show stars Jay Baruchel as Steven, a skinny, geeky kid who is attending a college so close to home his dad (Loudon Wainwright III) pops in to visit him frequently, much to his mortification. Lizzie (Carla Gallo) is the girl whom Steven falls for right off the bat, and who quickly submits to his advances to spite her obsessive, 25 year-old boyfriend, Eric (Jason Segel, who isn't a regular but pops up every couple of episodes). Lloyd (Charlie Hunnam) is Steven's British roommate who can bed pretty much any girl he sets his eyes on. Their neighbors are Ken (Seth Rogan) and Marshall (Timm Sharp), while Rachel (Monica Keena) rooms with Lizzie. Several famous guest stars pop up in the series, including Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler and Ben Stiller, all of whom are hilarious. A lot of the actors from F&G also appear, and it's a delight every time they do. Even though I did eventually like the show, I had problems with it. I really disliked the British kid, whom, for the longest time, I thought wasn't British but just feigning an accent. Turns out he really is British, but he's still mostly insufferable. The Rachel character was also pretty boring. Apatow's movies have been frequently criticized for lacking strong female characters, a criticism I do actually agree with. Freaks and Geeks, despite only having two major female characters, doesn't fall into that criticism, but Undeclared does. Lizzie and Rachel are mostly there just for sex, while the guys are usually involved in much more interesting situations. The show is pretty sex-obsessed. Of course, college freshmen are, too, at least the guys, and definitely some of the girls. But, I don't know, when I was lived in the dorm, the existence of sex was taken mostly on hearsay. The couple of people I did know who got laid in the dorms were either total jerks or ended up living out their time there very awkwardly avoiding the person or persons they slept with. I think the Fox factor was working here (F&G was on NBC, fwiw). The best episodes are the ones with Jason Segel, who is often accompanied by his co-workers from the copy shop, David Krumholtz and Kyle Gass. Segel was one of the best actors in F&G, and he's extremely hilarious here, especially the episode where he discovers that Lizzie slept with Steven.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fox couldn't be patient?
frankjames6 October 2002
The Fox network which usually is patient with their shows bailed out on this very funny series. It was a realistic view of college life from many perspectives. It was brought to you by the same people involved with Freaks and Geeks. A show I never got around to watching but was also critically acclaimed and lamented when cancelled. The cast was very likable and I am sure we will be seeing them elsewhere. If FX or some other outlet decides to start showing these episodes do yourself a favor and watch and enjoy. Will Ferrell's cameo is superb.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Untapped Potential
Kevin-9421 August 2008
As someone with a deep affection for "Freaks and Geeks," I was looking forward to seeing this show on DVD. Although perhaps unfair to compare the two, I do feel that comparing and contrasting (in true college essay question style) highlights the shortcomings of "Undeclared."

CHARACTER SPECIFICITY. The freaks and geeks of "Freaks and Geeks" had sharply defined personalities. By contrast, these people are very general types. The main character is a standard issue nerd. Seth Rogen seems to wander into scenes without a character to play.

CHARACTER SYMPATHY. The kids on F&G formed little family units, and bonded and took care of each other. The "Undeclared" kids are basically all strangers to each other, and are as likely to compete or argue as to connect.

EMOTIONAL PULL. F&G took place during high school, and the emotional vulnerability of the characters and their growing pains gave the show a warm emotional poignancy. Think of the episode where one boy discovered that his father was cheating on his mother, and how this, in turn, caused Sam to worry about his own family's stability. The college kids in "Undeclared" are a selfish, immature bunch interested in sex and beer, and they're far more difficult to connect with as a viewer.

COMPLEX STORIES. Because it was a half hour longer, F&G had far richer stories and ideas. But even accounting for this, "Undeclared" still comes off pretty anemic in the story department. A typical "Undeclared" episode takes a small idea and does very little with it.

HUMOR. F&G was hilarious. The episode where Sam wore the disco suit to school is a classic. Nothing in "Undeclared" can rival that level of humor.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No time to joke
shivam-hora20 April 2014
Judd Apatow had won my heart and sympathy with his show 'Freaks and Geeks', a show that was canceled soon after it started. So i thought i might give this show a try, knowing that this one too had been canceled soon after it's launch.

I was not all disappointed but not all happy either.. The only tag this show has is 'comedy' and that is the only thing i couldn't find in all of the story line , the drama and the weak acting. Although this show had great actors and great appearances, it just didn't get to me..

The only thing i loved in this show was Seth Rogens and the occasional appearances of Jason Segel. The story is also good, not great. It's filled with old book clichés and expected turns which won't keep you hooked for that long.

I don't exactly disapprove of this show, but it just wasn't up to my taste.. You might have a different taste and you might enjoy the show, but in my opinion we have so many great shows going on, why not let bygones be bygones.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny shows has many things to relate
WalterSoprano23 March 2014
Seems like a sequel to freaks and geeks with the some of the same actors playing different characters. One thing that I can say without a single doubt in my mind is that fans of freaks and geeks need to see this show. It is among the funniest of all time (as is freaks and geeks) and also as well as freaks and geeks helped jump start some careers.

This show has great acting and has some of the wildest cameos. The only true way to enjoy this show for sure is if you have seen freaks and geeks which I also reviewed previously. I will for sure by this in the future. If you want to watch it for free look it up on YouTube all the episodes are full and free, that's where I saw it.
An absolute FOX classic!
Catherine_Grace_Zeh19 August 2008
"UNDECLARED," in my opinion, is an absolute FOX classic! I don't think I've seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode was my favorite. However, I think it was always funny when a mishap occurred. I always laughed at that. Despite the fact that it was a short-lived series, it would have been nice if all the main characters had stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, I hope someone brings it back on the air for fans of the show to see.
What happened, guys?
llihilloh16 November 2002
'Freaks and Geeks' was a terrific show. It made it onto my favorite list. It was extremely funny, well written, it had a wonderful cast (and I mean excellent), and each episode was a delight to see. So, my question is, if I liked that show so much, how come I was absolutely bored out of my mind when I watched 'Undeclared'?

Judd Apatow as well as countless others introduced up to the now always-missed by many masterpiece 'Freaks and Geeks', yet failed miserably when he attempted to pull off a so-called sequel to the teenage gang from 1981. I'm going to refer to 'Undeclared' as the sequel to the great show just because it tries to follow in its footsteps all the time. The problem with Fox's 'Undeclared' is that it has a cast that I cannot even begin to stand, writing that is unbelievably dull, and a direction taken in which the same episode seems to be repeated week after week.

This cast is horrible. Jay Baruchel is one of the most annoying guys I have ever seen. His acting is unbearable as most of the cast's is, and he is so....unlikable. Seth Rogan, who I liked on 'Freaks and Geeks' and was glad to see turn up on this show, despite how awful it is, just doesn't work in the dorm as much as I'd like him to. Newcomer Timm Sharp is alright; I actually can tolerate him, to a degree though. There isn't much that I can say about Carla Gallo except that she is so wrong for the part. Loudon Wainwright is horrible and like his onscreen son as well as Gallo, amazingly annoying. What I want to know is how did all of these annoying actors end up on television. I'm surprised that I like Charlie Hunnam and Monica Keena as much as I do. Hunnam is funny with what he has to work with. He's cute and adds something that the others don't: simple, tolerable acting. I'd definitely see him in something else. Monica Keena, who I thought that I wouldn't like from the pilot, actually turned out to be one of my favorites. I wouldn't exactly call her funny, but she's just good in her role as Rachel.

The writing is so dull and lame. Every episode from the very first to the finale was sadly written. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking, but all I know is that I laughed at the writing on this show...perhaps twice. Because the writing was so slow, the episodes of course would apparently be slow running also. To me, the series seemed like it was the same episode every week with just a line or two changed. The different plots; Eric and Lizzie and Steven's love triangle, and well, I guess that's about all, didn't change throughout the run of the show like it should have. This isn't entertaining, it's just stupid.

So, what we have here is a mere duplicate of a terrific show except that, oh, yeah 'Undeclared' isn't terrific but very far from it. Apatow and the others just clicked when it came to NBC's gem but not on FOX's sleeper. Should have been better, could have been better, but never came close. Watch 'Freaks and Geeks' while staying as far away from this as possible. For once, FOX actually came to their senses and cancelled a show worth cancelling.

(P.S. - the best thing about this show, alright the ONLY good thing was the guest star appearances. Jason Segel, David Krumholtz, Busy Philipps, Samm Levine, Natasha Melnick, Steve Bannos, Martin Starr, all related to 'Freaks and Geeks', were wonderful to see. Also, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and Ben Stiller, are wonderful as well were terrific.)
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh YES!
hunnam552 October 2001
Finally! A GREAT TV-Show with great young actors. This is the funniest TV-series for young people for years. The TV-series has just been started on TV and it's already been success! I can understand why... I REALLY hopes that this TV-series will go on TV for a very, very long time. It's funny, good acting and it's the BEST! Start to watch this TV-series now, you will not be disappointed, I'll promise!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seemed to make no chronological sense
cookmat12 October 2012
I don't know if this is because I watched it on netflix, and perhaps there are some alternative time lines or something (I didn't notice any mention of that) but this show seemed to alter it's time line at random.

More than once the plot seemed to ignore events that had happened and revert to previous time lines. Steve and Lizzie's relationship seemed to start and stop from episode to episode without any logical sequence of events. Similarly Lizzie and Jeff seemed to be boyfriend and girlfriend or broken up somewhat at random.

This could all be due to me not really paying attention at times, but even if it's quickly explained here and there, it still makes for an annoyingly repetitive sequence of events.

So, although the characters are fairly interesting, and the humor overall isn't terrible, the show goes nowhere and the characters seem to go through the same paces, while the story jumps around, and characters disappear and reappear at random.

Due to this, the show kinda sucked.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you liked Freaks and Geeks...
aleemhossain28 April 2006
If you liked Freaks and Geeks this is a must-see. Judd Apatow once again created a hysterical and touching series with characters that really become more like friends. The half hour format makes these a bit lighter than Freaks and Geeks - and when this show was canceled they weren't quite as able to still wrap things up as with the earlier show. But this certainly filled the void in my TV-viewing life left by the departure of Freaks and Geeks. Many of the members of the cast from that show appear here - some as regulars, others in hysterical guest performances. This is definitely one of those watch it in a single weekend marathon kind of shows.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James_De_Bello23 May 2016
After watching Freaks and Geeks and falling deeply in love with it I had to fill the void it had left so I did some research and found out about "Undeclared". As I said in my "Freaks and Geeks" review, I worship at the altar of Rogen and Apatow, they are writers and filmmakers whom I look up every single time I think or discuss film and story, to whom I relate almost everything I see, they inspire me in many different ways, they often move me on an emotional level and, best of all, they are truly and constantly hilarious and always get a laugh out of me.

"Undeclared" is a show created by Judd Apatow in 2001 starring Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, a very young Charlie Hunnam, Monica Keena, Carla Gallo, Timm Sharp, Loudon Wainwright amongst a slew of guest actor including Jason Segel, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel and Amy Poehler just to name a few. We follow the main cast, who are freshmen dorm-mates, in their lives in collage through 17 22-minutes-long episodes which each offer a new and different adventure for the characters whilst still maintaing an arch through the whole series.

Once again Apatow and his usual team of writers and directors deliver excellent content which as always starts from and honest and poignant place and develops from there comedy that is both hilarious and touching. These people feel real and well rounded, they all have a complex dynamic in them and you get behind each and everyone of them, understanding their strengths and weaknesses, their struggles, their joys and all in between whilst at the same time laughing really hard at what goes on in their lives without ever feeling as if we are poking fun at these people.

I have written so extensively in the past about why these writers work is so brilliant, I feel like I have exhausted the words to explain it. Their tone is so endearing without ever being melodramatic and their comedy is always genuine and edgy rarely ever being on the nose. As I always say: we laugh with these people, not at them. It seems banal, but looking at all the garbage comedy that we have to endure every year it bears repeating and it is even more important because I feel like we should champion these little gems that got a little lost in the mix.

This show is unfortunately slave of its 22-minute format, it could easily be a 1 hour show for me, so there is not that deep or insightful of a character development you can get into, yet what they manage to do with the time they have is surprising. Look it would be so easy for a show like this, as we see with so many others, to fall into stereotypical characters and story beats, clichéd resolutions and boring developments, with the people represented being turned into one dimensional beings. But the writers are better than this, they give everyone, even the smallest characters, a three dimensional dynamic and thrust them into situations that ring true and develop in ways that are there to say something interesting. Some of the same themes from "Freaks and Geeks" are back and explored in new ways whilst new themes emerge: sexual behavior, finding a place in the world, figuring out affection and love and most of all social dynamics are all explored. From them emerges naturally comedy to the point where it so ingrained in the narrative and organic to the flow of the dialogue you don't even think of it. This is how comedy works and how to do it right.

The cast is brilliantly in place and all deliver personal characterizations with excellent comedic timing that is fundamental in keeping the tone coherent. Jay Baruchel excels at being so likable without ever loosing the vulnerability his character bears. Charlie Hunnam is surprisingly funny, Seth Rogen is really inspired casting in the role of the grumpy guy, Timm Sharp needs only to appear on screen for the laughs to starts flowing and both Gallo and Keena strike a perfect balance between humanity and comedy.

As I said before the show is slave of its time format and it is unfortunately what brings it down many times. There are a couple of episodes in the middle that don't really add up to anything special because they don't get to explore the story beats they are putting forward. Moreover, there is just so much left unexplored it sometimes gets really frustrating, at times there is a really fascinating development going on and the show has to move on to the next beat in order to arrive at a conclusion in each episode and so the story isn't given enough time to breathe.

Still, the overall arch of themes and comedy is too good and contagious to be overcome by these problems and we end up with another great piece of storytelling and laughter by Apatow. I suggest checking this out, it takes a very short time to binge watch and it can be enjoyed by everyone.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun group not as original as F&G
SnoopyStyle23 September 2013
College freshman Steve Karp (Jay Baruchel) moves in with older roommates Lloyd Haythe (Charlie Hunnam). Ron Garner (Seth Rogen) and Marshall Nesbitt (Timm Sharp) are the other guys in the suite. He befriends neighbors Lizzie Exley (Carla Gallo) and Rachel Lindquist (Monica Keena).

This is Judd Apatow's next TV show after the critically acclaimed 'Freaks and Geeks'. The students are a likable fun group. Steve is a geek loser, but surprisingly sleeps with one of the girl who's trying to break up with her boyfriend played Jason Segel. There's nothing new in this show. Although it's great to see some of the up and comers like Amy Poehler, Kevin Hart, and Jenna Fischer have minor roles. The show is falling in line with much of Judd's later works.
Really great
Red_Identity26 February 2013
Freaks and Geeks is a show that, emotionally, hit me very hard. I definitely didn't expect Undeclared to be as great, and it's not, but it's still a really good show in its own right. It started off kinda bumpy, but the characters do get more interesting as the show goes and and it's effortlessly entertaining. It's such a shame that it got cancelled because there was still a lot more there to tell, and what luck that just like Freaks and Geeks it gets canned after its first season. Still, it's a show that will be easy to revisit and Netflix having the episodes in the correct order now will only increase its viewership and fans.
Not a bad show.
shrek200417 September 2003
I really liked this show when it was on the air. But FOX really overhyped it and it didn't work out. It was really funny and funky! FOX should bring back this, and Andy Richter. They were the best shows on in years!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible in every aspect.
hedinn19 February 2002
This show may just be the worst thing ever. Every actor, except maybe Jay Baruchel, is absolutely horrible, especially Seth Rogen. The show tries and tries but is never funny, not even in the one with Adam Sandler. I could go on and on but I'll just leave it at this:

Never EVER watch this show!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hit and miss
qasdfghj15 April 2012
The show began with a good deal of potential. However, I felt like the show had an identity crisis. It partly wanted to contain the substance of a drama with a more mature storyline like "Freaks and Geeks" and it partly wanted to become some sort of "Saved by the Bell"... it ended up leaning toward the latter.

The later episodes became flatter and it became apparent the plot was reusing old familiar story lines and overall going nowhere. However, the first few episodes are enjoyable and worth a watch.

If you're looking for other quality teen-college dramas, I recommend "Life as we know it".
Watch it I BEG YOU
copperncherrio13 March 2011
Judd Apatow's second try after the canceled Freaks & Geeks ABC and FOX are such fools. Utter stupidity. Undeclared was a show too early for its time. The show festers to the current generation of Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Funny People and etc. In fact this show is better than all those movies.

Undeclared has the following now famous stars: Jason Segel, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Amy Poehler

Cameos: Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller,

This is the best comedy about the new-age college kids, filled with comedic drama and just a great overview on college life. Cancelled after 1 season. WHY FOX?!?!? Why this atrocious act of killing pure genius.

Watch it! I BEG YOU! WATCH IT. It's the time capsule of early 2000′s and is not only a great comedy but has developing plot and characters.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A grown-up "Freaks and Geeks"
steve-292229 June 2006
I never caught "Undeclared" in its short run on Fox, but recently purchased the DVD set based on the strength of "Freaks and Geeks", Judd Apatow's too-smart-for-TV TV series from 1999-2000. "Undeclared" (like "Freaks and Geeks") is cleverly written, funny, and full of characters you'll begin to care about almost immediately.

Many of the series' funnier moments come from Ron (Seth Rogen), whose wit is a defense for his basic insecurity. If you thought he was funny as Cal in "The 40 Year Old Virgin", you'll love him here, too.

There are some great cameo performances from Will Ferrell as a speed-addicted research paper writer, Fred Willard as a bored history professor, and Ted Nugent and Adam Sandler as themselves. The DVD has a lot of really funny unaired footage, including an entire episode that never made it to TV.

My reaction to "Undeclared" was the same as when "Freaks and Geeks" went off the air - sad that I wouldn't see these characters anymore, but really glad that I'd seen the few episodes made.
This show SUCKS!
Snoopy115 April 2002
Let me tell you, I was a big fan of "Freaks and Geeks" and I am still angry at NBC for giving it the ax.

This show was supposed to be like "F&G"...one of the same guys, the same writer, same sort of deal. There are several differences between "Undeclared" and "F&G". "Undeclared" is NOT FUNNY. When I watched "Freaks & Geeks" I would nearly pee in my pants laughing. I've watched this show several times (trying to give it a chance) and I have not laughed once.

One of the reasons I liked "F&G" so much was because the characters were all outcasts. "Undeclared" should just be called "Trendy, Mainstream, Boring College Students"...because that's exactly what it is. It's also unrealistic.

In the first episode they introduced this guy...a flaming, flaming GEEK. ("Yay!" I thought to myself, thinking he would be like one of the geeks on "F&G") He wound up losing his virginity THE FIRST EPISODE which was his first night in college. Oh COME ON.

I really hope they cancel this rubbish. And maybe bring back "F&G", which had begun to restore my faith in current mainstream entertainment. Then it was cancelled and crap like this gets put on the air and I realize that if this show is considered "funny" and "quality television" something is terribly, terribly wrong.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.