Ice Age (2002)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 14 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for mild peril|
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- In the same deleted scene with Rachel and Jennifer conversing with Sid Rachel kicks Sid in the groin then they abandon him knowing that there's something wrong with him.
- Scrat tries to make his way out from between two gargantuan chunks of ice that are coming together. He gets caught at the very end and is nearly squashed, but he manages to squeeze out, only to find himself then falling hundreds or thousands of feet toward the ground below (he bounces several times on the way down before hitting the bottom). Once there, Manny unknowingly steps down on him, squashing him into the ground, and several other large animals then do the same (with him eventually getting stuck on the bottom of one of their feet as they walk along). He's later seen okay.
- Diego and other saber-toothed tigers prepare to attack a human encampment and steal a baby as a means of revenge (for the humans previously killing half of their pack - not seen). Moments later, they attack and a human must knock one of them aside. The humans then try to defend themselves with spears, while Diego goes into a tent and goes to get the baby, but the mother hits him on the head with a club. He then chases her through several locales until she gets to a very tall waterfall and decides to take the plunge with her baby to avoid the tiger. The humans' large dogs are then let loose on the tigers that then retreat, with the humans also throwing spears at them.
- More slapstick style material has some dodo birds accidentally hitting others, while one also falls into some sort of pit of bubbling liquid that apparently kills it (played for laughs, and we don't see the death, but others forewarned of it and then react to it). More are apparently killed (going off cliffs, falling into more of those pits, etc.) in what's essentially a long joke about them going extinct.
- Manny looks at some caveman paintings of various animals, including that of a mammoth family. He then imagines (and we see) those images come to life (still looking like cave drawings) where the mammoth family (where Manny is presumably the father) is threatened by humans with spears and is then separated from his wife and child (who are presumably permanently separated from him or possibly killed).
- Diego and another tiger get into a fight (claws flailing), while other tigers try to get Manny (who throws them off). Diego is then thrown aside and knocked out and the various tigers then slowly approach Manny who's surrounded. The same tiger then leaps toward Manny's throat, but Diego intercepts him just in time.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Some large rhinos chase after Sid, intent on harming him. He then runs to Manny for safety, and the two rhinos then push Manny back toward the edge of a cliff. Manny then pushes them back and sends them flying through the air, but they come charging back at him. Manny then tosses both of them aside with his tusks, but Manny and Sid then fall off the edge (but are okay after landing on the downward slope).
- As Sid, Diego and Manny walk across an ice field, various volcanic explosions suddenly go off around them, causing them to run for their lives as the ice and snow quickly melt, leaving them atop isolated, vertical ice formations that they must run and leap from one to the next (with lava below them). Sid and Manny make it, as does Diego, but the tiger then finds himself trying to hold onto the edge of the ledge. Manny then tries to creep out and save him, aware that his weight could cause the whole thing to fall into the lava below. He does save him just as the ice breaks away, but Manny is then starting to fall and he slips over the edge on a chunk of ice (we presume to his death). Volcanic forces, however, shoot him and the ice upward and away from danger where he lands quite hard on the ground (temporarily knocking him out, but he's okay).
- In one scene Sid, Manny and Diego are walking through a cave and come across drawings of Manny's family being killed by hunters and flashbacks in style of the drawings. This scene is VERY upsetting.
- The characters must run for their lives when they are "chased" by hundreds of sharp pieces of ice coming down like arrows.
- Mentioned in "violence & gore": some characters are dying in pits or in lava.
- Many times the characters (that is: the viewer) look down into deep canyons or fall into them. Two enormous chunks of ice come together slowly and force the character to run for its life to get out. He does not succeed and is squashed, eyes popping out, but he can get himself loose. Many times the ground under the feet of the characters sinks down or vanishes completely. The movie shows these situations in a rather disturbing way: in great detail and with the characters being afraid -- in contrast to the general cartoon where for instance vanishing grounds are just sort of a laugh.
Violence & Gore
- Soto dies when a few pieces of sharp ice fall to bury itself in his body, but this scene doesn't show his death; because it is very graphic.
- Diego is badly hurt when the Sabers attack him. No blood is shown.