Scooby-Doo (2002) Poster

(2002)

Try as I might I just can't hate it!
thumper_svx29 July 2003
When I first heard about Scooby Doo being turned into a movie, I will confess to being rather reticent about seeing it. I am just old enough to remember the original Scooby Doo cartoons on rerun, and was at the high end of the right target age group when Scrappy Doo hit the scene, and of course remembered Scooby Doo with a certain love. Of course, the cartoon was actually pretty terrible; the writing was bad, the cliches came in at a rate of knots, and the animation was second rate... but that's what we all expected of Hanna-Barbara cartoons.

I digress: I had heard about SD the movie on the Internet quite early in production and let out a groan; my childhood was being raped again for a buck in Hollywood. Why? Why bother??? Then when I heard Scooby was going to be CGI I actually groaned again. Of course, there is no other way you could have pulled Scoob off on-screen without CGI, at least not realistically... but CGI... that's just so passe any more! I still enjoy the artistry in modern CGI, but to me it felt like SD was going to be done just to prove that it COULD be done with modern technology... not to tell a story.

So it came, I read a few online reviews that panned it and failed to be surprised. I caught the trailers and failed to be inspired. I steadfastly avoided the movie theatres and just didn't go see it.

Fast forward to July of 2003; SD is playing on Cinemax (I think) and I've got some time to kill. Aw, what the hell... could be good for background noise if nothing else...

So having sat through SD the Movie, what do I think? Well, as much as I wanted to hate it because it was Hollywood raping my childhood, I just couldn't. I'm not going to say I loved it because that wouldn't be true, but I'll be darned if I can't admit that it was a whole hell of a lot better than I expected. Let me fill you in;

The cast is incredible. They have a real on-screen chemistry that really makes the movie for me. Especially Matthew Lillard as Shaggy... if he hasn't just completely NAILED the character as perfectly as you could in live action, then I'm the queen of France. There's the romantic attraction between Daphne and Fred that comes out on-screen pretty much throughout, and of course the distant attraction Velma had for Fred is right there too. But do I detect a little bit of an attraction to Shaggy? Don't remember that in the cartoon... but I can accept that.

The story? Well, it's a hell of a lot better written than the cartoons! Yes, it borrows heavily from them (and borrows from some of the SD animated movies that have been made in the interim), but still it's an interesting story with a nice twist at the end that had me actually laughing out loud. Not Shakespeare by any stretch of the imagination... but a fun and engaging story that keeps your attention.

So what about the CGI Scoob? Wow is all I can say! I don't know what makes it more, the quality of the CGI or the way in which all the actors really made me believe they were sharing the screen with a 6'5" intelligent dog. The interactions were believable, and not once did I catch anyone making the mistake of looking in the wrong place on-screen (which is clearly evident in many instances where CGI characters are used). The personality is captured perfectly and translates Scooby from the two-color animation of my youth to a perfect rendition of how I envisaged him in my minds eye.

I'm sure many have heard about them already, but there are plenty of in-jokes that pepper the movie for those willing to pay attention. I won't say they're all laugh-out-loud funny, but they are amusing... and it was obvious pretty early on that the film-makers didn't like Scrappy Doo either (I know I didn't... I didn't even like him as a kid), but rather than pretend he never happened (*cough* Galactica 1980 *cough*) they actually bring him to life in this movie too... and actually he has one of the lines that made me laugh out loud (to those who have seen it, it's the line he never finishes saying...)

So did I love it as much as I loved Scooby as a kid? No. The movie was definitely not without flaws, and it did depart from the cartoons in some pretty major ways; for example one of the nice things about the cartoon (looking at it now from an adult's perspective) was that at the end of every episode it was reiterated however lightly that there are no such things as monsters, ghosts, ghouls etc. and that we as people are always responsible for these things. This is something I picked up on as a kid but didn't understand until I was an adult; and kids should be given that reassurance early in life that there are no monsters. The movie departed from that part of the formula... so personally I couldn't recommend the movie to younger (under about 8 or 9) children. However, even with these kids, recommend that a parent watch it with them... but of course there's plenty of adult-type humor in there too that will completely pass the kids by. To me that's the mark of a great kids movie these days; the ability to appeal to all ages.

Overall, I'd say a 7 out of 10.
59 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
jason06-15 April 2007
Scooby-Doo is a worthy live action film to a brilliant original T.V. show

Plot: The Mystery Inc. gang have split up and are each off on their own, only Scooby-Doo (Voice of Neil Fanning) and Shaggy (Matthew Lilard) remain together and they own the Mystery Machine. They are called back into action when a strange man shows up and invites them to Spooky Island to solve a mystery. They are convinced when he mentions an all you can eat buffet and are on their way to the airport. There they run into the rest of the gang, Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Velma (Linda Cardellini), and Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar). Still resenting each other they refuse contact and once on the island they meet the owner, Emile Mondavariours (Rowan Atkinson) who informs them of the problem. He believes that somebody is casting a spell on the visitors who come to his resort. Starting off on looking for clues by themselves the gang realizes after a attack that they need to put their differences aside and team up if they ever want to solve the mystery.

The Good News: This being the motion picture film to a T.V. series that spawned thousands of imitators it had a lot to live up to and it delivers. Since it was released people have bashed this film to pieces, but if you take a minutes and look at it closely it is a pretty underrated film. The actors all do an outstanding job at bringing the gang to life. At first glance Freddie Prinze Jr. may seem like the wrong choice, but he fills Fred's shoes amazingly well with adequate skill. Linda Cardellini portrays the brainy smart Velma we all know, but Linda plays her with a sensitive side which is new and a a nice choice. Sharah Michelle Gellar is the shining light here bringing warmth and believability to her character as Daphne, everyones favorite danger prone female who proves she is tougher than most think in one of the film's best scenes. Matthew Lillard plays Shaggy well and plays off of Scooby-Doo well even though there was nothing there during filming. Lillard's acting is a key success to the film. It doesn't matter how well the CGI Scooby is made Lillard really has to bring it to life by make believing that Scooby is actually there. The whole thing could have gone completely wrong, but luckily this escapes that. Now the question that most people are asking. How does Scooby-Doo stack up? Neil Fanning's has to be the best since the original and the CGI Scooby looks pretty convincing. The action is a big part of this film as it plays a huge part. There are plenty of action scenes to keep you interested. My favorite one probably has to be the castle scene, a ten minute romp where the gang uncovers clues and it all ends in a big bang, but there are many more to more than fulfill your attention. The screenplay keeps thing's nice and simple and so is the direction. Constant and flashy cuts would've gotten in the way here so the direction they took works the best. The film all ends with more action scenes, big bangs, and many great twists. This could've been a lot worse.

The Bad News: The could've taken out the crude humor, but that's my only complaint

Conclusion: See this at any cost if you are a hardcore Scooby-Doo fan and others will all so want to check this out. Recommend

Rated: PG
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby rocks!
jim_999916 June 2002
I watched Scooby Doo, the cartoon, only with medium level interest as a child, so I went (with my wife and kids) mostly as a kick. Matthew Lillard is brilliant as Shaggy (how is that possible? His impersonation skills were flawless!). The cartoonimation of Scooby and Scrappy Doo were interesting but were so 3-D rendered that they did not match the original 2-D versions very well. The plot was reasonably interesting and twisted. No mere disgruntled janitor in a spooky disguise-- there's some evil genius at work. There were some minor plot issues with Velma, Fred, and Daphne having much greater insecurity issues than in the cartoons, but experimenting with such ideas is very cartoon-like. The set and cast worked very well. There's some biological humor with Shaggy and Scooby that I did not expect, but the last bit that they did helped. If you're prudish about gas-passing and belching, there are about 4 minutes you can do without, but they seem very much in character.
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it was funny.
Larry Forster5 May 2003
This might be a disappointment to die hard Scooby Doo cartoon fans, but I enjoyed it. I thought the gags were hilarious, and since I never cared for Scrappy Doo, I was especially fond of the end. I think Matthew Lillard should get an academy award for the way he interacted to a character that wasn't even there. In my mind, every time I see a Scooby Doo cartoon, I will picture him as Shaggy. It also brought the characters even more alive for me when the "human" sides of their personalities came out. It's really reaching to think that a group of people would be able to spend that much time together and not have individual jealousies and get on each other's nerves. I can't wait to see the sequel.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SCOOBY ROCKS !!!!
jack-frost14 September 2002
I've always been a big fan of horror films and when I was too young to watch them, SCOOBY was my favourite cartoon because it had cool heroes and I could see all sorts of monsters in it. Even now that I'm an adult, I still find a lot of pleasure in watching an episode. Just to say that I wasn't very excited at the perspective of seeing my cult cartoon turned into an unnamable stuff as the first pictures in the magazines announced a visually ridiculous movie with probably (like most of the other TV series adaptations) a boring and incoherent script.

When I left the theater, I was in love with this movie. It's a Scooby fan's dream come true.The film's never ridiculous: a colourfull and coherent universe was built around the visual of the cartoon. It's a very rare thing but this time, an exact transposition of a cartoon is perfect and doesn't breed an example in visual bad taste.

The script intelligently breaks several rules of the cartoon in order to bring more deepness to the characters. For example, Daphne's tired to be the eternal "stupid" beauty in danger and Velma can't stand Fred's attitude anymore as he always acts as if he had solved the mysteries alone. But these efforts would have been vain if a "dream team" of actors hadn't been gathered around the hilarious Scooby. Even if the team's composed of five characters, they're all treated with the same importance, and that's rare enough to be underscored.

Matthew LILLARD IS Shaggy: he reproduces perfectly the attitude of the animated character and his capacity to make you believe in the virtual Scooby is very impressive: when he's with him, you feel like if the dog was really on the set. The duo's perfect.

Sarah Michelle GELLAR and Freddie PRINZE Jr have a very communicative energy. It's obvious that they had a very good time playing the two "beautiful and quite stupid" characters of the team. Even if the role of Daphne was written with "Buffy" references, Sarah Michelle GELLAR succeeds in preserving the essence of the character: I never thought about Buffy when I saw her as Daphne.

And the last but not the least, Linda CARDELLINI delivers an outstanding performance as Velma. She took the animated character and managed to make her more human, funnier and even touching by bringing all sorts of irresistible details and mimics as for example in the way she laughs or says that she's the most clever of the team. Great job for a great actress.

I hope that no sequel will ever reach the screen if any of them is missing from the cast.

The story's quite simple but very well paced and entertaining. There are lots of cool dialogues and "private jokes" for the series' fans. All the gags are in the tone of the cartoon and always effective. I wasn't in favor of the use of martial arts through the character of Daphne but finally, kung fu fits in the universe of SCOOBY DOO as it's used with parsimony to bring a few more good gags.

As a conclusion, I would say that SCOOBY DOO's a terrific movie: it's fun, fast and very well acted.I found in it everything that made me love the cartoon and even more. Don't miss it if you're a SCOOBY fan: you won't regret it!
54 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby's a hit on the big-screen
nucksfan4life22 June 2002
This movie works because it tries to mimic the cartoon in many ways. Even the first shot looks like the first shot of the cartoon with the fog and the creepy old house. I had originally thought that the CGI Scooby would bother me during the movie, but I was completely wrong. I only really thought about that the first time Scooby is shown. After that the dog was Scooby to me because the things he says and the way he says them are accurate to the cartoon. The movie is pure cheese, but so was the cartoon. "Scooby-Doo" has maybe the most effective farting scene since "Blazing Saddles." Most fart scenes just come off as gross and not very funny, but in the world of Scooby a fart scene works. One interesting aspect of the film was seeing Rowan Atkinson in a role where he actually talks...a lot! I hope he gets more chances at dialogue-heavy roles here in the States. Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy all feel like their cartoon counterparts adding to the effectiveness of the movie. Lillard is amazing as Shaggy because he gets his voice to sound like a carbon-copy of the cartoon Shaggy. This is a fun movie to watch because you can turn your brain off and just enjoy the show.
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Pretty Good
Branjor16 June 2002
I really think that this movie was pretty good. Some parts in the movie were really funny. This casting was also good, the actors played the characters pretty well. I also think it was funny because in cases they made fun of the cartoon. Although, I didn't really like the villians. I could think of some better villians for the movie, but it just made it more interesting in the end. Over all - my rating: 8.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good? No. Funny? You bet!
preppy-326 June 2002
Scooby and the gang investigate a mystery on Spooky Island.

OK...this is NOT a good movie. The jokes are very obvious and the PG rating keeps things very clean and family friendly. Still, I was laughing a lot. Maybe it was my mood, but I kept giggling over all the jokes. It works mostly because the entire cast plays it straight.

Sarah Michelle Gellar looks nothing like Daphne in the cartoon, but she is good. Likewise, Freddie Prinze Jr. looks nothing like Fred either, but he's OK. Matthew Lillard, however, is letter perfect as Shaggy. Also the woman playing Velma is right on target. And the CGI Scooby was just great...his expressions and body language provided lots of laughs. Great special effect and the movie moves quickly.

My only real complaint--did we really need a burping/breaking wind contest between Scooby and Shaggy?

A very good family movie--I liked it a lot. A very guilty favorite all the way.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was such a cute movie!
Kristine14 June 2002
I just saw this in the theaters, and I have to say that the critics were wrong. This was so cheesy. And funny. Just a lot of fun to watch with your friends. It's also a good family movie. They did the ending just right. So, to the "sophisticated" critics out there, maybe you need to keep your mouths shut and learn that it's the viewer's opinions that count!

9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live action update of Hanna-Barbara's early 70s animated TV series with lots of entertainment and amusement
ma-cortes20 August 2011
The film concerns about our friends who form ¨the Mystery Inc¨ group . After an acrimonious break up, the Mystery Inc. gang are individually brought to an island resort to resolve strange goings on . After two years separated, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby are mysteriously united together to investigate an issue on Spooky Island. As Scooby Doo ,Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) along with the remaining group (Sara Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prince Jr , Linda Cardellini) are back to solve a case that takes place at an eerie island where occurs weird events including some monsters with nefarious purposes . A theme park affects young visitors in very strange ways . But it seems to be they are brought back as one for more than just solving a magical mystery . Meanwhile Shaggy falls in love with a tourist (Isla Fisher). The equipment members are going out to investigate towards the amusement park, whose owner is a suspect man named named Mondavarious(Rowan Atkinson) . He needs their help, figuring out why the vacationers are leaving mellow and sober . The Mystery Inc soon realize that they cannot resolve this enigma without help from each other .

In this entertaining picture there are comedy , tongue-in-cheek , slapstick, humorous moments, mild diversion and is pretty amusing. All are given an adolescent treatment which means no gore and no bad language just some old-fashioned likable scares , being funny watching humans meld into the CG characters . However , it contains bad taste when takes place a contest about fart jokes between Shaggy and Scooby. Of course , coward Scooby steals the spectacle as food-obsessed canine anti-hero with its grimace , faces and gesture .Many gags are good however the tale sometimes drags. Special mention to gags between Shagg and Scooby,they make a sympathetic comic couple . Movie combines live action with breezy computer generator animation on Scooby Doo creation , special effects are well done . The motion picture is regularly directed by Raja Gosnell who also filmed the follow-up . Kiddies may find the corny, flat humor and bemusing situations , but most adults will be disappointed , exception for the fans the classic cartoon series created by Hanna Barbera. Rating : average but entertaining and clearly aimed at the junior audience . Protagonists' antics might provide the silly smiles , but this cartoonist physical comedy is mostly ineffective . It's followed by a second part in similar style , cast and realization , titled ¨Scooby Doo unleashed¨ with lots of fun and as amused as the first , and will be best appreciated by preteen enthusiasts of the cartoon movies .
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What were they thinking??
TelevisionJunkie14 July 2002
Hanna and Barbera are probably rolling in their graves. First of all, let me say that I'm a 25 year old guy (with bad taste) who's been a fan of Scooby Doo since I was born. I've anxiously been awaiting this film since Mike Myers began working on scripts for it years back. I wanna know what the hell happened to his scripts. Although I can't see him as Shaggy (Matt Lillard was perfect in the role), perhaps if they had stuck to Myers' script, the film would have been good instead of the PoS it turned out to be. I promised my sisters' kids I would take them to see it, but after some of the stuff I had heard, I wanted to preview it before taking them (I figured I'd wanna see it again anyway - boy was I wrong!). Turns out it was no worse than the kids' endless viewings of "Dumb and Dumber" on TBS, so I had to sit through this piece of crap twice....what a waste of 3 hours of my life.

First of all, the good things about the film. Matthew Lillard was phenomenal as Shaggy - the movie's only saving grace. The woman who played Velma was also well-cast, though she didn't quite command the same presence Lillard has. Rowan Atkins also gives a good, but small, performance as the owner of the amusement park. The special FX ranged from excellent to abysmally computerized, though Scooby was better animated than I initially expected. And the scene in the castle was beautifully filmed, with a roller-coaster ride of good effects (and one of the only jokes I found amusing - about drinking out of the toilet). The only other joke that I found great amusement in (which flies over the heads of children) is a reference early on to Shaggy being the stoner that everyone's always assumed he is. That's about it for the good qualities, so on to the bad (which I could write a book about).

I could say that Gellar and Prinze were miscast, but after two viewings, I don't think that was the problem. The problem was that they were both badly written/directed. Prinze's Freddy went from being the self-assured leader he was in the show to an ego-maniacal buffoon. Gellar's Daphne became far whinier and self-involved than the character ever was (with the exception of "A Pup Named SD"), which made her far less sympathetic than she should have been. The addition of Scrappy to the cast was a forced and unfunny cop-out. The fact that he's probably the most hated cartoon character of all-time didn't justify using him the way they did (and I'm among his haters).

The script is awful. Bad jokes sporadically thrown throughout the film, which were vulgar and tasteless, made me consider walking out the first time I saw it - and I've never considered walking out on any film I've seen, no matter how bad it was. The farting/belching/peeing scenes were what both audiences laughed most at, though for the life of me, I can't understand why. For them to go to such juvenile lengths to draw laughs, it should prove how bad the script was. And it's a sad commentary on America's sense of humor...the majority of people in both audiences appeared to be around my age.

And then there was the profanity. Daphne utters a line about opening "a can of whoop-ass." Freddy says something about a "byotch." And the villain says he would've gotten away with it "if it weren't for you meddling sons of..." (at which point he's cut off). I use profanity every day of my life so I wasn't offended, but it had no place in this film (and the kids left reciting Daphne's line).

The music is atrocious. With the exception of the David Newman score and around three songs (Simple Plan's "Grow Up," Allstars' "Bump in the Night," and MXPX's "SD, Where Are You?" cover) plus a clever cameo by Sugar Ray (who are far underused), the majority of the songs are insufferable rap songs. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against rap when you can understand what they're saying. But the rap songs here are garbled garbage. Where's Will Smith when you need him (doing the deplorable, almost-as-bad-as-this MIB II...)? Even the clever lyrics of Outkast's "Land of a Million Drums" (which plays over the end credits) can't justify the intolerable rapping. It also seems odd with their appearance in the film that Sugar Ray didn't write an original song, instead recycling a song off of a 9 month old album (though the song was probably new when they began filming, but still...).

It's really sad that a generation of kids are being exposed to THIS variation of Scooby, rather than any of the classic cartoons - even Scooby and Scrappy-Doo (the most deplorable of all the series) was better than this. And it's sad that such a talented cast was wasted. It's sad that as a hardcore SD fan, I'd give this a two out of ten score (solely based on Shaggy and Velma's performances, otherwise it would be none out of ten). But the saddest thing of all is that they'll probably go on to do more sequels of this caliber...
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like the cartoon
First...my qualifications: I have been watching Scooby now for over 20 years. I am afraid I'm not quite old enough to have been around when it first debuted. My friends say I am a fanatic and I keep enough Scooby paraphenalia around my desk that people say it's closer to a shrine.

The reason why it's important to remember all of this is because I write this review more than a little biased. However, I can say in all honesty that I LOVED the movie. I thought everyone involved did a pretty good job at keeping it true to its roots, and that's what I liked the most. Personally, I think that producing a Scooby-Doo movie puts someone at odds between making a movie that mimics a Scooby cartoon, or making a movie that will appeal to a wide audience. The two are just not the same.

If you look at what most people feel is 'classic' Scooby-Doo, you get cartoons are that corny, low-production, and have a very thin plot. They are for the most part, mindless romps into a world of men in masks, and teenagers with their talking dog, gallivanting across the world solving the same old mysteries. The locales and names may change, but it's pretty much the same old story. What we love about them, and why a 28 year old man still stops flipping channels when I find Scooby, is that simply put, we love that dog and his fellow cohorts. We like watching Scoob and Shag munch down an entire pizza in two seconds, or seeing Scooby steal the soda from the rest of the gang. And most importantly, we love Scooby for all the corniness, lame jokes and disguises. This is a dog everyone would love to own, just don't put your sandwich down in front of him.

That really doesn't translate to a Hollywood blockbuster. My most important consideration for the Scooby-Doo movie was whether or not they would keep that good, clean, wholesome image, and in all honesty, they do. There are a few adult jokes, but this is a family movie and if you put too much into adult themes, complex story lines, and character development, you would definitely disappoint the real Scooby fans, who will continue to watch the movies and cartoons long after this movie has had its run.

If I take out my bias of Scooby, I must admit that I don't think this movie would stand on its own. It's a fun eighty-seven minute flick, but it's kind of shallow and there are too many inside jokes to truly enjoy it. The bottom line is, if you like classic Scooby-Doo, you'll probably love the film, however if you didn't like the Scooby-Doo cartoon, you won't like the movie. It still gets a 10 in my book, but it's a 10 based on my interpretation of Scooby, without him, it's only about a 5.
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't like this film. Not at all.
Peter Kendell28 August 2002
Lame. Shockingly lame. Lame beyond belief.

And cynical, too - Hollywood at its most exploitative and greedy.

The original cartoons were no great shakes, but this... this really lowers the bar for TV nostalgia cash-ins.

And to think that Rowan Atkinson used to be funny.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much More Entertaining Than Expected
Mr_Sensitive27 June 2005
Story: The gangs got invited to the themes park of Spooky Island to solve the mysteries, as it seem that who ever visit the island go back home in a very odd behavior.

Though it kind of pretty weird watching it at first, you will used to it and somehow I did quite find it pretty enjoyable and it did stick pretty good to the cartoon story, that the reason I like it.

The cast was alright, actually it better than expected, Velma look-a-like the most. And Scooby-Doo did work pretty well. The only problem was with the character like Scabby Doo and the ending might not appealed the kids that much. Otherwise it alright.

Recommendation: Though it got pretty low rating here, I still recommend it for the kid.

Rating: 6.5/10 (Grade: C+)
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subtly Subversive Scooby Doobie Doo
Chewbacca_4217 October 2005
Upon second stoned viewing my endearment is renewed. The marijuana references will fly above the wee ones' little noggins. For the rest of us, it's a quintessential high home entertainment experience. Whereas the vulnerable compromised mind might panic from genuine chills and thrills, the mild scares herein enhanced by intoxication fit just right. The golden twosome, Fred and Daphne are himbo and bimbo incarnate, while Velma predictably suffers from mortal cartoon myopia and a body of knowledge limited only by plot requirements. Stoner stars, Shaggy and Scooby are happily single-minded in their pursuit of munchies, while remaining lovably selfish and craven. Ultimately, the crew rises to the occasion even if it requires slight departure from caricature. With suitable scatologies, Scooby's infectious cackle, and single-minded snack fixation, it's a "runderful" romp, not to be enjoyed sober. P.S. Cartoonish CGI complements the mood, so don't have a cow about it, okay?
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby Does NOT...
tropicthunderhead21 June 2002
Forget the HYPE, this movie stinks! It doesn't know which audience to play for 3 year olds or adults. It also doesn't know whether it should be campy or cartoonish. It's a jumbled mess that only did well because of the Very LARGE and VERY EXPENSIVE marketing. If you want something to keep the kids busy, spend the money on a new toy and watch the cartoon! My rating 1...HORRIBLE DESPITE HYPE!
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Mystery Whatsoever
DarthBotto6 March 2006
Huh... This wasn't much a mystery, I must admit. You have no mystery at all, actually. In fact, WTF was the storyline, again? Like you have A huge computer animated monsrtocity in the middle of the screen, and you call it the main character. The jokes weren't even original. They were more like old Shakespeare jokes that the villain would chuckle. Or at least, something from the sixties. Wait... I've laughed at a few things from the sixties. Plus... there's a big thing about real monsters and spirits added in. I actually like the good old idea of taking off the mask to reveal some hick in a costume. Why couldn't there be any clues, any costumes that have style?
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Day 3: Seen it twice
destinys_chai16 June 2002
It's been out for three days and I've seen it twice. Never before have I seen the same movie in a theater more than once. Matthew Lillard is *fabulous* as Shaggy, they could have not have casted a better actor; Linda Cartellini has her characters voice down as well. I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar's sassy and black-belted Daphne, and Freddy Prinze Jr. did very well as Fred. Seriously here folks, this movie seems to have a really bad pre-reputation. It could not have been better. Yes, they may have four well-known actors, but after seeing the movie it was not soley to rake in the cash from their reputations. They are all extremely GOOD; the cast could not have been better. I have found that there are the different depths of humor, the obvious cartoonish humor that always gets the kids, but there is also a lot of humor in the dialogue that will get the teenagers and older. I would reccommend anyone give this movie a chance! Especially if you loved the cartoon!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS is Scooby-Doo?
J. Phillips (smashattack)29 December 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but always in the end of Scooby-Doo mysteries, weren't the spirits, ghosts, and ghouls always explainable? There were never really any ghosts, but rather people just feigning as them.

Major, major spoilers.

Scooby Doo the movie is a terrible version of the old cartoons. I'm not too familiar with the old series, but I know for sure that there were NEVER ghosts or hauntings or anything of the sort. However, Scooby Doo the movie breaks into more foolish ground by changing all that, flinging the series into a sort of stupid science fiction fantasy movie. We have large gremlin-looking creatures that want to take over the world (and they aren't masks), and PROTOPLASMS, which supposedly make up the soul of a human being.

WRONG! A protoplasm is the essential living thing inside a CELL. Not a person. Somebody didn't do enough research! It was almost as if they used the word "protoplasm" just to sound cool. Why, when a little bit of skimming through a dictionary will prove that you're a total idiot who hasn't done any research?

Scooby Doo is a movie filled with assumptions, crummy jokes, and a really perverted Fred, who wasn't like that at all in the series. The mystery is so lame that no "clues" were needed to solve it. It was just WHAM! and the bad guy came out of hiding.

One part I did like, though, was when the whole group entered the "haunted castle". It was rather thrilling for a moment, while the axes were swinging, the roller coaster was blasting forward, and Shaggy and Scooby were stuck on a wall. The music was really good, too, I think. But that's about the only good thing about the entire movie.

Scooby Doo was one of the worst CGI characters I have ever seen. They might have done better with a real dog, and not some plastic-looking CGI dog that could walk like a human. I understand the original Scooby could, but that was the original, and it was a cartoon. This is much different with live action.

And the villain was so poorly introduced. Even Count Dooku from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones had a longer run time! Scrappy was only seen for a few moments, and only from a story told by one of the characters. And then he showed up in the end... how stupid! I'm sorry, but this movie was lacking in depth from every single angle.

One other good thing about it, though, is the friendship between Shaggy and Scooby. Those actors were PERFECT for the roles. Shaggy sounds just like the original. I'm impressed. The antics of Shaggy and Scooby help to lighten the movie and for a while I thought it would bring the movie back up. But I was wrong. It lost concentration less than halfway through.

Attempts to modernize the movie were poor. Acting was insufficient (other than Shaggy and Scooby). Story and plot were crumbling to pieces at the beginning. The music was decent in some parts, when no rock bands were trying to keep the teenager atmosphere with crummy lyrics and silly music.

All in all, Scooby Doo was a total flop. I'm not sure what happened. But I know that even I could have done better. Just by staying true to the cartoon could that have been accomplished.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Old Man Smithers' Plan
tedg11 September 2003
Spoilers herein.

I play with movies about movies: representations about representations. And this is just about the coolest one I've seen in a long time. I really recommend it to thinking cinephiles.

The original cartoon was simple: some guy in spooky disguise. That's established in the first sequence here. But then we move into uncharted territory, where we have not another chapter but a whole different film disguised as a Scooby movie.

In this adventure, there are instead spooks in people, in fact other people in people, dogs in robots in people, basically every combination possible. At the same time, they play with the intent: there's a sequence similar to one in `The Princess Bride' (which is template for this) where Daphne figures that someone said not to do something, unless they meant we should, unless you know that we would think so in case.. and on and on just like Wallace Shawn in his best `My Dinner with Andre' meets `Wayne's World' reversals.

Everything is about goofing on representations -- ironic irony. This literally turns the Agatha Christie model of mystery story on its head. Every element is subverted in what may be the most sophisticated film of the year. Shaggy is farting and Daphne petulentaly interrupts: `we're here to solve a mystery!'

Incidentally, the cartoon was influenced by graduates of the Disney character lab, so the five personalities are modeled after the five roles kids could choose to play in junior high, based on . And the girls are both redheads: one dark, the other light.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Doo-doo than Scooby, more crappy than scrappy
Cheese Hoven13 September 2009
The original Scooby Doo cartoons were silly and predictable but had a certain charm and colour which has endeared them to a generation of kids. A later series added Scrappy who was the most irritating cartoon character before the intentionally irritating Poochie in the Simpsons. Scrappy's contribution to this shocker is him pointlessly urinating on Thelma (obviously no one house trained him) at which point this tiresome character is dropped out of the mystery machine.

Don't worry though there's plenty more tiresome characters where he came from.

Extremely juvenile comedy with a lot of knowing postmodern irony topped off with over the top cgi monsters. The original poorly drawn cartoon looks positively sublime and subtle by comparison.

Avoid.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Film is Lame
maniacmajic18 July 2002
Do Not see this film! Apologies if you are hopping, surfing or whatever the word is for reading this page to give this a glorious 2 thumbs up or a 10/10 mark this review is not for you!

However if like me the bile that has built up inside you, days after the accursed event has reached boiling point and you feel that you must reach out to the world and cry "SCOOOOOBYYY DON'T" then this might be slightly more your cup of tea.

First I would just like to point out that this film has NO FUN in it whatso ever.It is unfunny, horribly acted, bad plot and just about the only good thing that happened was that it ended. Oh and that it was half as long as Lord of the Rings.

In fact the only fun that might be even dared to be thought up in conjunction with this unspeakable waste of life is tricking your mate into wasting however long (S)he can stand to remain inside a dark,dank grottoesque hellhole surrounded by hordes of no-longer screaming pre pubescent little horrors, who bored out of their witt's end rely on drinking far too much cola in order that they can leave whichever (soon to be ex best mate's great party idea it was to take his friends to see a once proud and noble cartoon, the stalwart of the cartoon network portrayed like a picasso, lude crude and nothing like the original) that they may spend a blessed few minutes relieving themselves before the ordeal starts again

After some father/Mother dragged a kid to see this epic of rectal proportions I can fully understand the idea of parental divorce.

Thank you for reading and may your life be blessed with the hope that you may never encounter such a villainous waste of £5.50.

I am off to ritually cleanse myself by watching Battlefield Earth and Tomb Raider so that my memories may no longer be tainted by such things as Sara Michelle Gellar trying to be anything other than Buffy.. or that nice pretty young thing she played in Cruel Intentions.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.