Scooby-Doo (2002) Poster

(2002)

Underrated
jason06-15 April 2007
Scooby-Doo is a worthy live action film to a brilliant original T.V. show

Plot: The Mystery Inc. gang have split up and are each off on their own, only Scooby-Doo (Voice of Neil Fanning) and Shaggy (Matthew Lilard) remain together and they own the Mystery Machine. They are called back into action when a strange man shows up and invites them to Spooky Island to solve a mystery. They are convinced when he mentions an all you can eat buffet and are on their way to the airport. There they run into the rest of the gang, Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Velma (Linda Cardellini), and Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar). Still resenting each other they refuse contact and once on the island they meet the owner, Emile Mondavariours (Rowan Atkinson) who informs them of the problem. He believes that somebody is casting a spell on the visitors who come to his resort. Starting off on looking for clues by themselves the gang realizes after a attack that they need to put their differences aside and team up if they ever want to solve the mystery.

The Good News: This being the motion picture film to a T.V. series that spawned thousands of imitators it had a lot to live up to and it delivers. Since it was released people have bashed this film to pieces, but if you take a minutes and look at it closely it is a pretty underrated film. The actors all do an outstanding job at bringing the gang to life. At first glance Freddie Prinze Jr. may seem like the wrong choice, but he fills Fred's shoes amazingly well with adequate skill. Linda Cardellini portrays the brainy smart Velma we all know, but Linda plays her with a sensitive side which is new and a a nice choice. Sharah Michelle Gellar is the shining light here bringing warmth and believability to her character as Daphne, everyones favorite danger prone female who proves she is tougher than most think in one of the film's best scenes. Matthew Lillard plays Shaggy well and plays off of Scooby-Doo well even though there was nothing there during filming. Lillard's acting is a key success to the film. It doesn't matter how well the CGI Scooby is made Lillard really has to bring it to life by make believing that Scooby is actually there. The whole thing could have gone completely wrong, but luckily this escapes that. Now the question that most people are asking. How does Scooby-Doo stack up? Neil Fanning's has to be the best since the original and the CGI Scooby looks pretty convincing. The action is a big part of this film as it plays a huge part. There are plenty of action scenes to keep you interested. My favorite one probably has to be the castle scene, a ten minute romp where the gang uncovers clues and it all ends in a big bang, but there are many more to more than fulfill your attention. The screenplay keeps thing's nice and simple and so is the direction. Constant and flashy cuts would've gotten in the way here so the direction they took works the best. The film all ends with more action scenes, big bangs, and many great twists. This could've been a lot worse.

The Bad News: The could've taken out the crude humor, but that's my only complaint

Conclusion: See this at any cost if you are a hardcore Scooby-Doo fan and others will all so want to check this out. Recommend

Rated: PG
74 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby-Doo in Spooky-Island
Min11128 April 2018
I don't understand why so many dislike this movie because I think it's the complete opposite. This movie has what you would expect to see in a Scooby-Doo show. I'm a huge fan of Scooby-Doo, and watched the animated series on Cartoon Network, so it's inevitable I would go and watch this, and I wasn't disappointed by it for the most part. Scooby-Doo was fun, entertaining and interesting from start to finish. It definitely had the mystery element in it especially once the gang headed into Spooky Island - that was my favourite part of the movie. I don't know about you, but this movie had me guessing right till the end, and I was very surprised to say the least. That's why I rate Scooby-Doo pretty highly. It's a good movie to watch when you're having snacks or "scooby snacks" or something.
38 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
WeAreLive7 January 2018
I remember watching this movie when I was about 7 and I really loved it. This movie is defiantly a good joy ride for new and old Scooby Doo fans. I haven't seen this movie for ages so bare with me if I can't remember everything. The best parts where when the creatures attacked the house, the flashback with scrappy, when a guy was about to sacrifice a chicken and the last scene. Overall it's an adventurous movie and I would recomand it.
33 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as a pack of Scooby snacks ! (DVD)
leplatypus11 December 2010
Scooby was my favorite show when i was a child (along with "Goldorak") and I rediscovered it as an adult when i was working in Bruxelles and when i went to the Warner Park in Madrid. That's why i went to see this movie at screen at its release and that I have a good time watching it again on DVD.

For me, this Scooby franchise is among the best adaptation ever because i find all the original ingredients: spooks, colors and laughs! And i don't forget the cast that is excellent with its chemistry. I also thank them for accepting those flashy suits and acting with seriousness such silly parts. The story is really written by a fan because he sticks to the basic plot and adds some original ideas that enrich the characters. The sets are top and Mr. Bean as guest-star is nice, although he should have done more.

The deleted scenes and especially the opening credits should have included in the release because the movie is short (83 min) and those cuts are really funny! Maybe Scooby isn't the best CGI character ever done but the soul of Scooby is here and we pay attention to the action rather than the effects!

Well, thanks to everyone because you made a Scooby fan really happy!

Zoinks!
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Try as I might I just can't hate it!
thumper_svx29 July 2003
When I first heard about Scooby Doo being turned into a movie, I will confess to being rather reticent about seeing it. I am just old enough to remember the original Scooby Doo cartoons on rerun, and was at the high end of the right target age group when Scrappy Doo hit the scene, and of course remembered Scooby Doo with a certain love. Of course, the cartoon was actually pretty terrible; the writing was bad, the cliches came in at a rate of knots, and the animation was second rate... but that's what we all expected of Hanna-Barbara cartoons.

I digress: I had heard about SD the movie on the Internet quite early in production and let out a groan; my childhood was being raped again for a buck in Hollywood. Why? Why bother??? Then when I heard Scooby was going to be CGI I actually groaned again. Of course, there is no other way you could have pulled Scoob off on-screen without CGI, at least not realistically... but CGI... that's just so passe any more! I still enjoy the artistry in modern CGI, but to me it felt like SD was going to be done just to prove that it COULD be done with modern technology... not to tell a story.

So it came, I read a few online reviews that panned it and failed to be surprised. I caught the trailers and failed to be inspired. I steadfastly avoided the movie theatres and just didn't go see it.

Fast forward to July of 2003; SD is playing on Cinemax (I think) and I've got some time to kill. Aw, what the hell... could be good for background noise if nothing else...

So having sat through SD the Movie, what do I think? Well, as much as I wanted to hate it because it was Hollywood raping my childhood, I just couldn't. I'm not going to say I loved it because that wouldn't be true, but I'll be darned if I can't admit that it was a whole hell of a lot better than I expected. Let me fill you in;

The cast is incredible. They have a real on-screen chemistry that really makes the movie for me. Especially Matthew Lillard as Shaggy... if he hasn't just completely NAILED the character as perfectly as you could in live action, then I'm the queen of France. There's the romantic attraction between Daphne and Fred that comes out on-screen pretty much throughout, and of course the distant attraction Velma had for Fred is right there too. But do I detect a little bit of an attraction to Shaggy? Don't remember that in the cartoon... but I can accept that.

The story? Well, it's a hell of a lot better written than the cartoons! Yes, it borrows heavily from them (and borrows from some of the SD animated movies that have been made in the interim), but still it's an interesting story with a nice twist at the end that had me actually laughing out loud. Not Shakespeare by any stretch of the imagination... but a fun and engaging story that keeps your attention.

So what about the CGI Scoob? Wow is all I can say! I don't know what makes it more, the quality of the CGI or the way in which all the actors really made me believe they were sharing the screen with a 6'5" intelligent dog. The interactions were believable, and not once did I catch anyone making the mistake of looking in the wrong place on-screen (which is clearly evident in many instances where CGI characters are used). The personality is captured perfectly and translates Scooby from the two-color animation of my youth to a perfect rendition of how I envisaged him in my minds eye.

I'm sure many have heard about them already, but there are plenty of in-jokes that pepper the movie for those willing to pay attention. I won't say they're all laugh-out-loud funny, but they are amusing... and it was obvious pretty early on that the film-makers didn't like Scrappy Doo either (I know I didn't... I didn't even like him as a kid), but rather than pretend he never happened (*cough* Galactica 1980 *cough*) they actually bring him to life in this movie too... and actually he has one of the lines that made me laugh out loud (to those who have seen it, it's the line he never finishes saying...)

So did I love it as much as I loved Scooby as a kid? No. The movie was definitely not without flaws, and it did depart from the cartoons in some pretty major ways; for example one of the nice things about the cartoon (looking at it now from an adult's perspective) was that at the end of every episode it was reiterated however lightly that there are no such things as monsters, ghosts, ghouls etc. and that we as people are always responsible for these things. This is something I picked up on as a kid but didn't understand until I was an adult; and kids should be given that reassurance early in life that there are no monsters. The movie departed from that part of the formula... so personally I couldn't recommend the movie to younger (under about 8 or 9) children. However, even with these kids, recommend that a parent watch it with them... but of course there's plenty of adult-type humor in there too that will completely pass the kids by. To me that's the mark of a great kids movie these days; the ability to appeal to all ages.

Overall, I'd say a 7 out of 10.
71 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok, color me 5-years-old
dcook-415 June 2002
I adore Scooby and I adored this movie...what can I say? I'm 25-years-old and yet I'm so taken by the concept of Scooby Doo. I mean, I've been ready for this movie for a long time. Sarah Michelle Gellar was excellent as Daphne...it was so strange seeing SMG as someone nearly defenseless. While Freddie Prinze Jr. is just in no way Fred, Linda Cardellini was a great Velma. They really proved the characters old-school style, keeping them as close to the old cartoon as possible. Which brings me to Matthew Lilliard. Could they have picked a better Shaggy? It's like the role was completely made for him! I give the movie 10 Scooby Snacks
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hidden stoner movie gem
edo-sofic6 October 2018
It's been 16 years since this movie came out, and I decided to watch it after browsing the Netflix library while being high. I was looking for the dumbest possible movie to watch, and thought Scooby Doo should do.

Boy, like, how wrong was I? Never knew this was actually a stoner movie. I think it's silly enough to be fun if you watch it sober, but if you're high - it's awesome. Just stack up on scooby snacks and enjoy the ride!
47 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby rocks!
jim_999916 June 2002
I watched Scooby Doo, the cartoon, only with medium level interest as a child, so I went (with my wife and kids) mostly as a kick. Matthew Lillard is brilliant as Shaggy (how is that possible? His impersonation skills were flawless!). The cartoonimation of Scooby and Scrappy Doo were interesting but were so 3-D rendered that they did not match the original 2-D versions very well. The plot was reasonably interesting and twisted. No mere disgruntled janitor in a spooky disguise-- there's some evil genius at work. There were some minor plot issues with Velma, Fred, and Daphne having much greater insecurity issues than in the cartoons, but experimenting with such ideas is very cartoon-like. The set and cast worked very well. There's some biological humor with Shaggy and Scooby that I did not expect, but the last bit that they did helped. If you're prudish about gas-passing and belching, there are about 4 minutes you can do without, but they seem very much in character.
53 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Work of Genius
themostswagjacobg23 February 2020
This film is one of the greatest pieces of cinematic greatness I have ever seen. This was, without a doubt, one of the most blessed and sacred engagements of my senses in my life; rivaling only, perhaps, my baptism. Indeed, we speak of many of the great films and how we walk away from them with our perspectives changed and weltanschauung altered. With this movie was a rebirth of mine, especially my sense of humor, so profound, that it may be classified as a genesis. In an adjective, this movie is pulchritudinous. Its entirety is luminescent, its plot is unparagoned, and even its "idiosyncrasies" contribute to its divine nimbus. Nothing else is on par with its wonder.

10/10. A must watch.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
rdenero9075 April 2018
My kids love this one so much.. Even if this movie came out in the early 2000's its still as good as the newer movies out today.. I can't wait for a new realease with the same actors..
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic!
SamJamie25 February 2020
One of my favourite childhood movies. I have a lot of nostalgia for this film and the rating is too low in my opinion.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be Afraid, Be Kind Of Afraid.
kylehaines962 October 2012
Day 2 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

Scooby Doo is a 2002 adaptation of the popular cartoon gang of Mystery Incorporated. Raja Gonsell is in the directors chair. Lets see if this film is faithful to the cartoon series.

The film follows Fred played by Freddie Prinze Jr Daphne played by Sarah Michelle Gellar Velma played by Linda Cardellini Shaggy played by Mathew Lillard and Scooby Doo voiced by Neil Fanning As they go their separate ways. The gang has just grown tired of doing the same thing over and over. 2 years later Emile Mondavarious played by Rowan Atkinson calls the gang up to come to Spooky Island to help solve a mystery.

This is a film not meant to be taken seriously. The actors give good performances, The sets are creatively constructed and the humor is very kiddie yet very adult at the same time. I would Highly recommend Scooby Doo.

Rated PG For Some Rude Humor, Language And Some Scary Action.

1hr 26min/86min.

****/****
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it was funny.
L_Forster5 May 2003
This might be a disappointment to die hard Scooby Doo cartoon fans, but I enjoyed it. I thought the gags were hilarious, and since I never cared for Scrappy Doo, I was especially fond of the end. I think Matthew Lillard should get an academy award for the way he interacted to a character that wasn't even there. In my mind, every time I see a Scooby Doo cartoon, I will picture him as Shaggy. It also brought the characters even more alive for me when the "human" sides of their personalities came out. It's really reaching to think that a group of people would be able to spend that much time together and not have individual jealousies and get on each other's nerves. I can't wait to see the sequel.
33 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Pretty Good
Branjor16 June 2002
I really think that this movie was pretty good. Some parts in the movie were really funny. This casting was also good, the actors played the characters pretty well. I also think it was funny because in cases they made fun of the cartoon. Although, I didn't really like the villians. I could think of some better villians for the movie, but it just made it more interesting in the end. Over all - my rating: 8.
37 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SCOOBY ROCKS !!!!
jack-frost14 September 2002
I've always been a big fan of horror films and when I was too young to watch them, SCOOBY was my favourite cartoon because it had cool heroes and I could see all sorts of monsters in it. Even now that I'm an adult, I still find a lot of pleasure in watching an episode. Just to say that I wasn't very excited at the perspective of seeing my cult cartoon turned into an unnamable stuff as the first pictures in the magazines announced a visually ridiculous movie with probably (like most of the other TV series adaptations) a boring and incoherent script.

When I left the theater, I was in love with this movie. It's a Scooby fan's dream come true.The film's never ridiculous: a colourfull and coherent universe was built around the visual of the cartoon. It's a very rare thing but this time, an exact transposition of a cartoon is perfect and doesn't breed an example in visual bad taste.

The script intelligently breaks several rules of the cartoon in order to bring more deepness to the characters. For example, Daphne's tired to be the eternal "stupid" beauty in danger and Velma can't stand Fred's attitude anymore as he always acts as if he had solved the mysteries alone. But these efforts would have been vain if a "dream team" of actors hadn't been gathered around the hilarious Scooby. Even if the team's composed of five characters, they're all treated with the same importance, and that's rare enough to be underscored.

Matthew LILLARD IS Shaggy: he reproduces perfectly the attitude of the animated character and his capacity to make you believe in the virtual Scooby is very impressive: when he's with him, you feel like if the dog was really on the set. The duo's perfect.

Sarah Michelle GELLAR and Freddie PRINZE Jr have a very communicative energy. It's obvious that they had a very good time playing the two "beautiful and quite stupid" characters of the team. Even if the role of Daphne was written with "Buffy" references, Sarah Michelle GELLAR succeeds in preserving the essence of the character: I never thought about Buffy when I saw her as Daphne.

And the last but not the least, Linda CARDELLINI delivers an outstanding performance as Velma. She took the animated character and managed to make her more human, funnier and even touching by bringing all sorts of irresistible details and mimics as for example in the way she laughs or says that she's the most clever of the team. Great job for a great actress.

I hope that no sequel will ever reach the screen if any of them is missing from the cast.

The story's quite simple but very well paced and entertaining. There are lots of cool dialogues and "private jokes" for the series' fans. All the gags are in the tone of the cartoon and always effective. I wasn't in favor of the use of martial arts through the character of Daphne but finally, kung fu fits in the universe of SCOOBY DOO as it's used with parsimony to bring a few more good gags.

As a conclusion, I would say that SCOOBY DOO's a terrific movie: it's fun, fast and very well acted.I found in it everything that made me love the cartoon and even more. Don't miss it if you're a SCOOBY fan: you won't regret it!
68 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby's a hit on the big-screen
nucksfan4life22 June 2002
This movie works because it tries to mimic the cartoon in many ways. Even the first shot looks like the first shot of the cartoon with the fog and the creepy old house. I had originally thought that the CGI Scooby would bother me during the movie, but I was completely wrong. I only really thought about that the first time Scooby is shown. After that the dog was Scooby to me because the things he says and the way he says them are accurate to the cartoon. The movie is pure cheese, but so was the cartoon. "Scooby-Doo" has maybe the most effective farting scene since "Blazing Saddles." Most fart scenes just come off as gross and not very funny, but in the world of Scooby a fart scene works. One interesting aspect of the film was seeing Rowan Atkinson in a role where he actually talks...a lot! I hope he gets more chances at dialogue-heavy roles here in the States. Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy all feel like their cartoon counterparts adding to the effectiveness of the movie. Lillard is amazing as Shaggy because he gets his voice to sound like a carbon-copy of the cartoon Shaggy. This is a fun movie to watch because you can turn your brain off and just enjoy the show.
44 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was such a cute movie!
Smells_Like_Cheese14 June 2002
I just saw this in the theaters, and I have to say that the critics were wrong. This was so cheesy. And funny. Just a lot of fun to watch with your friends. It's also a good family movie. They did the ending just right. So, to the "sophisticated" critics out there, maybe you need to keep your mouths shut and learn that it's the viewer's opinions that count!

16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good? No. Funny? You bet!
preppy-326 June 2002
Scooby and the gang investigate a mystery on Spooky Island.

OK...this is NOT a good movie. The jokes are very obvious and the PG rating keeps things very clean and family friendly. Still, I was laughing a lot. Maybe it was my mood, but I kept giggling over all the jokes. It works mostly because the entire cast plays it straight.

Sarah Michelle Gellar looks nothing like Daphne in the cartoon, but she is good. Likewise, Freddie Prinze Jr. looks nothing like Fred either, but he's OK. Matthew Lillard, however, is letter perfect as Shaggy. Also the woman playing Velma is right on target. And the CGI Scooby was just great...his expressions and body language provided lots of laughs. Great special effect and the movie moves quickly.

My only real complaint--did we really need a burping/breaking wind contest between Scooby and Shaggy?

A very good family movie--I liked it a lot. A very guilty favorite all the way.
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little silly at times, but a colourful and amusing film.
TheLittleSongbird25 May 2009
This film is nowhere near as bad as the rating suggests, sure it isn't flawless, but a good film doesn't need to be that to be enjoyable. I thought Scooby Doo a colourful film, with some good direction, and very good performances from all involved. The best of the cast were Matthew Lilliard as Shaggy and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne, and Rowan Atkinson is amusing as Mondavarious. The film is very amusing at times, especially the scene when Scooby dresses as a Grandma and the scenes in the haunted house. The actress of Mary-Jane is very sweet too. But I will say that the film isn't without its flaws. The plot is a little far-fetched, and some of the farting jokes are very silly. There have been complaints of the Scooby Doo model being charmless, but I disagree. He was quite sweet at times. The only character I didn't really like that much was Scrappy, then again I never did like him, not even in the animated series. Despite these flaws, this film is not bad at all, and I will award a 7/10. Bethany Cox
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
zoinks scoob
khbarnabae29 March 2018
Hello and welcome to one of the best movies of my childhood. Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed are the best live action Scooby Doo movies and I will take that to my grave. In fact, put that statement on my headstone, please and thank. Scooby-Doo was and will always be a staple in my house. The original series, the series with Scooby-Dum, Scooby-Dee, and Scrappy-Doo, and the animated movies. So, I'm an old Scooby pro and this movie made my dreams come true. This movie is sneaky enough with it's humor to be funny as a child or adult, the villain plot twist flipped my world upside down, man. The actors were my childhood heroes. This movie is perfection. As a child when I first got the DVD, I played it so much that it stopped working and we had to buy extra copies in case I broke them again. (I did.) Anyways, watch this movie, thanks, bye.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this movie
melicastel582111 July 2012
I actually really enjoyed watching the movie when it first came out. I personally think it is the best Scooby-Doo movie than the other ones. I loved it so much that I had bought the movie after it came out. I love Freddie Prince Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Prince) and that could have been another reason why I loved this movie. My daughter and nephews love watching this movie as well.

I think it is quite entertaining for children as it was meant for them to be the main audience. Therefore, I would say that it is an overall great movie for kids of any age that love Scooby-Doo or just enjoy watching an entertaining funny movie.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The crazy movie of Scooby-Doo
edoeddy-7695322 April 2020
A very funny film full of mysteries and humor, where scooby doo with the help of his friends have to solve the mystery of the island. The different artistic and ingenious factors make it an endearing and dreamy film; Hanna-barbera will be worth the continuation with series and many more movies from Scooby doo.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Accept it for what it is.
richmcgough31 January 2020
If you want a high mystery movie then go elsewhere. If you want something silly, bonkers and full of oddly clever little jokes and references then go for this movie. It's old and the effects have dated but it still makes me chuckle every time. EVERY time. Its a nostalgic piece of chaotic nonsense that I adore...!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of My Favorite Childhood Films
evilstrawberry-1097330 April 2020
Not at all as bad as people say. Flawed, Sure but nothing wrong with that if the movie is good, And Scooby-Doo 2002 is.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED this movie
Brooklynsmagicmike13 April 2020
I have been scooby doo fan for years and watched most of the cartoons. For some reason I never watched the live action movie of it.

Keep in mind I'm a guy in his late 20's and I will say that this movie despite the PG rating to me felt more towards older teenage audience. Quite few jokes were raunchy as well as Characters behaviors. But thats what made this movie enjoyable. I don't think back when it came out or even now kids aged 11 or under would really understand alot of what is going on in the movie.

Back to the review. The action is good, the comedy is great, the actors are all awesome in there roles, and the storyline is pretty engaging and found the pacing to be good. Also for a movie thats 18 years old still looks great today maybe even better then some of the other movies similiar to this type of content.

Overall definitely would recommend this movie to older teens to younger adult. You'll enjoy it alot!!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.