Scooby-Doo (2002) Poster

(2002)

Scooby-Doo in Spooky-Island
minra9028 April 2018
I don't understand why so many dislike this movie because I think it's the complete opposite. This movie has what you would expect to see in a Scooby-Doo show. I'm a huge fan of Scooby-Doo, and watched the animated series on Cartoon Network, so it's inevitable I would go and watch this, and I wasn't disappointed by it for the most part. Scooby-Doo was fun, entertaining and interesting from start to finish. It definitely had the mystery element in it especially once the gang headed into Spooky Island - that was my favourite part of the movie. I don't know about you, but this movie had me guessing right till the end, and I was very surprised to say the least. That's why I rate Scooby-Doo pretty highly. It's a good movie to watch when you're having snacks or "scooby snacks" or something.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
jason06-15 April 2007
Scooby-Doo is a worthy live action film to a brilliant original T.V. show

Plot: The Mystery Inc. gang have split up and are each off on their own, only Scooby-Doo (Voice of Neil Fanning) and Shaggy (Matthew Lilard) remain together and they own the Mystery Machine. They are called back into action when a strange man shows up and invites them to Spooky Island to solve a mystery. They are convinced when he mentions an all you can eat buffet and are on their way to the airport. There they run into the rest of the gang, Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Velma (Linda Cardellini), and Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar). Still resenting each other they refuse contact and once on the island they meet the owner, Emile Mondavariours (Rowan Atkinson) who informs them of the problem. He believes that somebody is casting a spell on the visitors who come to his resort. Starting off on looking for clues by themselves the gang realizes after a attack that they need to put their differences aside and team up if they ever want to solve the mystery.

The Good News: This being the motion picture film to a T.V. series that spawned thousands of imitators it had a lot to live up to and it delivers. Since it was released people have bashed this film to pieces, but if you take a minutes and look at it closely it is a pretty underrated film. The actors all do an outstanding job at bringing the gang to life. At first glance Freddie Prinze Jr. may seem like the wrong choice, but he fills Fred's shoes amazingly well with adequate skill. Linda Cardellini portrays the brainy smart Velma we all know, but Linda plays her with a sensitive side which is new and a a nice choice. Sharah Michelle Gellar is the shining light here bringing warmth and believability to her character as Daphne, everyones favorite danger prone female who proves she is tougher than most think in one of the film's best scenes. Matthew Lillard plays Shaggy well and plays off of Scooby-Doo well even though there was nothing there during filming. Lillard's acting is a key success to the film. It doesn't matter how well the CGI Scooby is made Lillard really has to bring it to life by make believing that Scooby is actually there. The whole thing could have gone completely wrong, but luckily this escapes that. Now the question that most people are asking. How does Scooby-Doo stack up? Neil Fanning's has to be the best since the original and the CGI Scooby looks pretty convincing. The action is a big part of this film as it plays a huge part. There are plenty of action scenes to keep you interested. My favorite one probably has to be the castle scene, a ten minute romp where the gang uncovers clues and it all ends in a big bang, but there are many more to more than fulfill your attention. The screenplay keeps thing's nice and simple and so is the direction. Constant and flashy cuts would've gotten in the way here so the direction they took works the best. The film all ends with more action scenes, big bangs, and many great twists. This could've been a lot worse.

The Bad News: The could've taken out the crude humor, but that's my only complaint

Conclusion: See this at any cost if you are a hardcore Scooby-Doo fan and others will all so want to check this out. Recommend

Rated: PG
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Try as I might I just can't hate it!
thumper_svx29 July 2003
When I first heard about Scooby Doo being turned into a movie, I will confess to being rather reticent about seeing it. I am just old enough to remember the original Scooby Doo cartoons on rerun, and was at the high end of the right target age group when Scrappy Doo hit the scene, and of course remembered Scooby Doo with a certain love. Of course, the cartoon was actually pretty terrible; the writing was bad, the cliches came in at a rate of knots, and the animation was second rate... but that's what we all expected of Hanna-Barbara cartoons.

I digress: I had heard about SD the movie on the Internet quite early in production and let out a groan; my childhood was being raped again for a buck in Hollywood. Why? Why bother??? Then when I heard Scooby was going to be CGI I actually groaned again. Of course, there is no other way you could have pulled Scoob off on-screen without CGI, at least not realistically... but CGI... that's just so passe any more! I still enjoy the artistry in modern CGI, but to me it felt like SD was going to be done just to prove that it COULD be done with modern technology... not to tell a story.

So it came, I read a few online reviews that panned it and failed to be surprised. I caught the trailers and failed to be inspired. I steadfastly avoided the movie theatres and just didn't go see it.

Fast forward to July of 2003; SD is playing on Cinemax (I think) and I've got some time to kill. Aw, what the hell... could be good for background noise if nothing else...

So having sat through SD the Movie, what do I think? Well, as much as I wanted to hate it because it was Hollywood raping my childhood, I just couldn't. I'm not going to say I loved it because that wouldn't be true, but I'll be darned if I can't admit that it was a whole hell of a lot better than I expected. Let me fill you in;

The cast is incredible. They have a real on-screen chemistry that really makes the movie for me. Especially Matthew Lillard as Shaggy... if he hasn't just completely NAILED the character as perfectly as you could in live action, then I'm the queen of France. There's the romantic attraction between Daphne and Fred that comes out on-screen pretty much throughout, and of course the distant attraction Velma had for Fred is right there too. But do I detect a little bit of an attraction to Shaggy? Don't remember that in the cartoon... but I can accept that.

The story? Well, it's a hell of a lot better written than the cartoons! Yes, it borrows heavily from them (and borrows from some of the SD animated movies that have been made in the interim), but still it's an interesting story with a nice twist at the end that had me actually laughing out loud. Not Shakespeare by any stretch of the imagination... but a fun and engaging story that keeps your attention.

So what about the CGI Scoob? Wow is all I can say! I don't know what makes it more, the quality of the CGI or the way in which all the actors really made me believe they were sharing the screen with a 6'5" intelligent dog. The interactions were believable, and not once did I catch anyone making the mistake of looking in the wrong place on-screen (which is clearly evident in many instances where CGI characters are used). The personality is captured perfectly and translates Scooby from the two-color animation of my youth to a perfect rendition of how I envisaged him in my minds eye.

I'm sure many have heard about them already, but there are plenty of in-jokes that pepper the movie for those willing to pay attention. I won't say they're all laugh-out-loud funny, but they are amusing... and it was obvious pretty early on that the film-makers didn't like Scrappy Doo either (I know I didn't... I didn't even like him as a kid), but rather than pretend he never happened (*cough* Galactica 1980 *cough*) they actually bring him to life in this movie too... and actually he has one of the lines that made me laugh out loud (to those who have seen it, it's the line he never finishes saying...)

So did I love it as much as I loved Scooby as a kid? No. The movie was definitely not without flaws, and it did depart from the cartoons in some pretty major ways; for example one of the nice things about the cartoon (looking at it now from an adult's perspective) was that at the end of every episode it was reiterated however lightly that there are no such things as monsters, ghosts, ghouls etc. and that we as people are always responsible for these things. This is something I picked up on as a kid but didn't understand until I was an adult; and kids should be given that reassurance early in life that there are no monsters. The movie departed from that part of the formula... so personally I couldn't recommend the movie to younger (under about 8 or 9) children. However, even with these kids, recommend that a parent watch it with them... but of course there's plenty of adult-type humor in there too that will completely pass the kids by. To me that's the mark of a great kids movie these days; the ability to appeal to all ages.

Overall, I'd say a 7 out of 10.
63 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
WeAreLive7 January 2018
I remember watching this movie when I was about 7 and I really loved it. This movie is defiantly a good joy ride for new and old Scooby Doo fans. I haven't seen this movie for ages so bare with me if I can't remember everything. The best parts where when the creatures attacked the house, the flashback with scrappy, when a guy was about to sacrifice a chicken and the last scene. Overall it's an adventurous movie and I would recomand it.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby rocks!
jim_999916 June 2002
I watched Scooby Doo, the cartoon, only with medium level interest as a child, so I went (with my wife and kids) mostly as a kick. Matthew Lillard is brilliant as Shaggy (how is that possible? His impersonation skills were flawless!). The cartoonimation of Scooby and Scrappy Doo were interesting but were so 3-D rendered that they did not match the original 2-D versions very well. The plot was reasonably interesting and twisted. No mere disgruntled janitor in a spooky disguise-- there's some evil genius at work. There were some minor plot issues with Velma, Fred, and Daphne having much greater insecurity issues than in the cartoons, but experimenting with such ideas is very cartoon-like. The set and cast worked very well. There's some biological humor with Shaggy and Scooby that I did not expect, but the last bit that they did helped. If you're prudish about gas-passing and belching, there are about 4 minutes you can do without, but they seem very much in character.
45 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
rdenero9075 April 2018
My kids love this one so much.. Even if this movie came out in the early 2000's its still as good as the newer movies out today.. I can't wait for a new realease with the same actors..
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it was funny.
L_Forster5 May 2003
This might be a disappointment to die hard Scooby Doo cartoon fans, but I enjoyed it. I thought the gags were hilarious, and since I never cared for Scrappy Doo, I was especially fond of the end. I think Matthew Lillard should get an academy award for the way he interacted to a character that wasn't even there. In my mind, every time I see a Scooby Doo cartoon, I will picture him as Shaggy. It also brought the characters even more alive for me when the "human" sides of their personalities came out. It's really reaching to think that a group of people would be able to spend that much time together and not have individual jealousies and get on each other's nerves. I can't wait to see the sequel.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Pretty Good
Branjor16 June 2002
I really think that this movie was pretty good. Some parts in the movie were really funny. This casting was also good, the actors played the characters pretty well. I also think it was funny because in cases they made fun of the cartoon. Although, I didn't really like the villians. I could think of some better villians for the movie, but it just made it more interesting in the end. Over all - my rating: 8.
32 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SCOOBY ROCKS !!!!
jack-frost14 September 2002
I've always been a big fan of horror films and when I was too young to watch them, SCOOBY was my favourite cartoon because it had cool heroes and I could see all sorts of monsters in it. Even now that I'm an adult, I still find a lot of pleasure in watching an episode. Just to say that I wasn't very excited at the perspective of seeing my cult cartoon turned into an unnamable stuff as the first pictures in the magazines announced a visually ridiculous movie with probably (like most of the other TV series adaptations) a boring and incoherent script.

When I left the theater, I was in love with this movie. It's a Scooby fan's dream come true.The film's never ridiculous: a colourfull and coherent universe was built around the visual of the cartoon. It's a very rare thing but this time, an exact transposition of a cartoon is perfect and doesn't breed an example in visual bad taste.

The script intelligently breaks several rules of the cartoon in order to bring more deepness to the characters. For example, Daphne's tired to be the eternal "stupid" beauty in danger and Velma can't stand Fred's attitude anymore as he always acts as if he had solved the mysteries alone. But these efforts would have been vain if a "dream team" of actors hadn't been gathered around the hilarious Scooby. Even if the team's composed of five characters, they're all treated with the same importance, and that's rare enough to be underscored.

Matthew LILLARD IS Shaggy: he reproduces perfectly the attitude of the animated character and his capacity to make you believe in the virtual Scooby is very impressive: when he's with him, you feel like if the dog was really on the set. The duo's perfect.

Sarah Michelle GELLAR and Freddie PRINZE Jr have a very communicative energy. It's obvious that they had a very good time playing the two "beautiful and quite stupid" characters of the team. Even if the role of Daphne was written with "Buffy" references, Sarah Michelle GELLAR succeeds in preserving the essence of the character: I never thought about Buffy when I saw her as Daphne.

And the last but not the least, Linda CARDELLINI delivers an outstanding performance as Velma. She took the animated character and managed to make her more human, funnier and even touching by bringing all sorts of irresistible details and mimics as for example in the way she laughs or says that she's the most clever of the team. Great job for a great actress.

I hope that no sequel will ever reach the screen if any of them is missing from the cast.

The story's quite simple but very well paced and entertaining. There are lots of cool dialogues and "private jokes" for the series' fans. All the gags are in the tone of the cartoon and always effective. I wasn't in favor of the use of martial arts through the character of Daphne but finally, kung fu fits in the universe of SCOOBY DOO as it's used with parsimony to bring a few more good gags.

As a conclusion, I would say that SCOOBY DOO's a terrific movie: it's fun, fast and very well acted.I found in it everything that made me love the cartoon and even more. Don't miss it if you're a SCOOBY fan: you won't regret it!
62 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hidden stoner movie gem
edo-sofic6 October 2018
It's been 16 years since this movie came out, and I decided to watch it after browsing the Netflix library while being high. I was looking for the dumbest possible movie to watch, and thought Scooby Doo should do.

Boy, like, how wrong was I? Never knew this was actually a stoner movie. I think it's silly enough to be fun if you watch it sober, but if you're high - it's awesome. Just stack up on scooby snacks and enjoy the ride!
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby's a hit on the big-screen
nucksfan4life22 June 2002
This movie works because it tries to mimic the cartoon in many ways. Even the first shot looks like the first shot of the cartoon with the fog and the creepy old house. I had originally thought that the CGI Scooby would bother me during the movie, but I was completely wrong. I only really thought about that the first time Scooby is shown. After that the dog was Scooby to me because the things he says and the way he says them are accurate to the cartoon. The movie is pure cheese, but so was the cartoon. "Scooby-Doo" has maybe the most effective farting scene since "Blazing Saddles." Most fart scenes just come off as gross and not very funny, but in the world of Scooby a fart scene works. One interesting aspect of the film was seeing Rowan Atkinson in a role where he actually talks...a lot! I hope he gets more chances at dialogue-heavy roles here in the States. Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy all feel like their cartoon counterparts adding to the effectiveness of the movie. Lillard is amazing as Shaggy because he gets his voice to sound like a carbon-copy of the cartoon Shaggy. This is a fun movie to watch because you can turn your brain off and just enjoy the show.
37 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as a pack of Scooby snacks ! (DVD)
leplatypus11 December 2010
Scooby was my favorite show when i was a child (along with "Goldorak") and I rediscovered it as an adult when i was working in Bruxelles and when i went to the Warner Park in Madrid. That's why i went to see this movie at screen at its release and that I have a good time watching it again on DVD.

For me, this Scooby franchise is among the best adaptation ever because i find all the original ingredients: spooks, colors and laughs! And i don't forget the cast that is excellent with its chemistry. I also thank them for accepting those flashy suits and acting with seriousness such silly parts. The story is really written by a fan because he sticks to the basic plot and adds some original ideas that enrich the characters. The sets are top and Mr. Bean as guest-star is nice, although he should have done more.

The deleted scenes and especially the opening credits should have included in the release because the movie is short (83 min) and those cuts are really funny! Maybe Scooby isn't the best CGI character ever done but the soul of Scooby is here and we pay attention to the action rather than the effects!

Well, thanks to everyone because you made a Scooby fan really happy!

Zoinks!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok, color me 5-years-old
dcook-415 June 2002
I adore Scooby and I adored this movie...what can I say? I'm 25-years-old and yet I'm so taken by the concept of Scooby Doo. I mean, I've been ready for this movie for a long time. Sarah Michelle Gellar was excellent as Daphne...it was so strange seeing SMG as someone nearly defenseless. While Freddie Prinze Jr. is just in no way Fred, Linda Cardellini was a great Velma. They really proved the characters old-school style, keeping them as close to the old cartoon as possible. Which brings me to Matthew Lilliard. Could they have picked a better Shaggy? It's like the role was completely made for him! I give the movie 10 Scooby Snacks
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good? No. Funny? You bet!
preppy-326 June 2002
Scooby and the gang investigate a mystery on Spooky Island.

OK...this is NOT a good movie. The jokes are very obvious and the PG rating keeps things very clean and family friendly. Still, I was laughing a lot. Maybe it was my mood, but I kept giggling over all the jokes. It works mostly because the entire cast plays it straight.

Sarah Michelle Gellar looks nothing like Daphne in the cartoon, but she is good. Likewise, Freddie Prinze Jr. looks nothing like Fred either, but he's OK. Matthew Lillard, however, is letter perfect as Shaggy. Also the woman playing Velma is right on target. And the CGI Scooby was just great...his expressions and body language provided lots of laughs. Great special effect and the movie moves quickly.

My only real complaint--did we really need a burping/breaking wind contest between Scooby and Shaggy?

A very good family movie--I liked it a lot. A very guilty favorite all the way.
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was such a cute movie!
Smells_Like_Cheese14 June 2002
I just saw this in the theaters, and I have to say that the critics were wrong. This was so cheesy. And funny. Just a lot of fun to watch with your friends. It's also a good family movie. They did the ending just right. So, to the "sophisticated" critics out there, maybe you need to keep your mouths shut and learn that it's the viewer's opinions that count!

12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
zoinks scoob
khbarnabae29 March 2018
Hello and welcome to one of the best movies of my childhood. Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed are the best live action Scooby Doo movies and I will take that to my grave. In fact, put that statement on my headstone, please and thank. Scooby-Doo was and will always be a staple in my house. The original series, the series with Scooby-Dum, Scooby-Dee, and Scrappy-Doo, and the animated movies. So, I'm an old Scooby pro and this movie made my dreams come true. This movie is sneaky enough with it's humor to be funny as a child or adult, the villain plot twist flipped my world upside down, man. The actors were my childhood heroes. This movie is perfection. As a child when I first got the DVD, I played it so much that it stopped working and we had to buy extra copies in case I broke them again. (I did.) Anyways, watch this movie, thanks, bye.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny movie!
joshuadrake-9127515 September 2015
I do my review of the SCOOBY-DOO live-action films with SCOOBY-DOO and then, SCOOBY-DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED and then, I will do the reviews for the two prequels, SCOOBY-DOO: THE MYSTERY BEGINS and SCOOBY-DOO: THE CURSE OF THE LAKE MONSTER.

Before I begin my review of the SCOOBY-DOO franchise, I'm going to tell a little bit of history, now, shall we begin? Development for a live-action treatment of Scooby-Doo began in 1994 by producer Charles Roven. Originally, the idea was to make a film with a much darker tone, essentially poking fun at the original cartoon series, much like the Brady Bunch Movie and was set to receive a PG-13 rating from the MPAA.

Shaggy was set to be a stoner, Velma and Daphne had a side relationship and there were many references to drugs. Several rumors about these aspects in the original cartoon series were passed around by fans of the show and were to be incorporated into the live-action film.

The plot revolves around the Mystery Incorporated, a group of four young adults: Fred Jones, Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley and Norville "Shaggy" Rodgers and a dog named Scooby-Doo who solves mysteries. After a two-year disbandment, the group reunites to investigate a mystery on a popular horror resort called Spooky Island.

The movie was not well received by critics, but it was enough to spawn a sequel released in 2004, and a telefilm prequel, aired on Cartoon Network on September 13, 2009.

This movie is a really great film and critics did take this the wrong way, but they did like some of the things done right and some of the fans really liked this movie.

The story is amazing and to the script writer's credit James Gunn, who directed Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the film does stay true to the TV show. The Mystery Machine is really amazing and fantastic and if they changed it to different colors and it would have not been the van from Scooby-Doo that I know.

The acting is just amazing. Freddie Prinze Jr. plays Fred Jones and he really does great in his performance. Sarah Michelle Gellar plays the role of Daphne Blake and she did really amazing and to this day, the two actors I just mentioned are married. Matthew Lillard pays the role of Shaggy Rogers and he is funny and over-the-top during this whole movie and it was really amazing. Linda Cardellini plays Velma Dinkley and she is really fantastic in her performance.

Rowan Atkinson is Emile Mondavarious and he does a really great job. Isla Fisher plays the role of Mary Jane, Shaggy's love interest and she does a really great job as well. Neil Fanning provides the voice of Scooby-Doo and the CGI is really amazing on him and they made him look realistic.

The music by David Newman is really cool and the visual effects are well done and it is spectacular to see how the creatures look on screen. The production and costume designs are really cool also and is fantastic.

This film is just spectacular and overall, I love SCOOBY-DOO and it gets a 7 out of 10, because I really give this film an amazing rating.

The DVD features on this film is amazing and you have an audio commentary by the director and producers, a commentary with the cast, a two-player game that is very challenging, deleted scenes with optional commentary and those deleted scenes should have been in the movie, the behind-the-scenes documentary is really amazing and fantastic and I think it gives you a damn good look into the making of a movie that I enjoy. There are also featurettes on the movie as well including The Mystery Van and Daphne's Fight Scene.

There is also a music video by Outkast called "Land of A Million Drums" and that is so freaking cool as well as the soundtrack trailer for the movie's soundtrack.

The DVD gets an 8 out of 10 and I have the sequel on the same DVD, but that is Disc Two, which is my next review.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be Afraid, Be Kind Of Afraid.
kylehaines962 October 2012
Day 2 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

Scooby Doo is a 2002 adaptation of the popular cartoon gang of Mystery Incorporated. Raja Gonsell is in the directors chair. Lets see if this film is faithful to the cartoon series.

The film follows Fred played by Freddie Prinze Jr Daphne played by Sarah Michelle Gellar Velma played by Linda Cardellini Shaggy played by Mathew Lillard and Scooby Doo voiced by Neil Fanning As they go their separate ways. The gang has just grown tired of doing the same thing over and over. 2 years later Emile Mondavarious played by Rowan Atkinson calls the gang up to come to Spooky Island to help solve a mystery.

This is a film not meant to be taken seriously. The actors give good performances, The sets are creatively constructed and the humor is very kiddie yet very adult at the same time. I would Highly recommend Scooby Doo.

Rated PG For Some Rude Humor, Language And Some Scary Action.

1hr 26min/86min.

****/****
Love this movie
melicastel582111 July 2012
I actually really enjoyed watching the movie when it first came out. I personally think it is the best Scooby-Doo movie than the other ones. I loved it so much that I had bought the movie after it came out. I love Freddie Prince Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Prince) and that could have been another reason why I loved this movie. My daughter and nephews love watching this movie as well.

I think it is quite entertaining for children as it was meant for them to be the main audience. Therefore, I would say that it is an overall great movie for kids of any age that love Scooby-Doo or just enjoy watching an entertaining funny movie.
great movie
jaemiewaters28 December 2011
it is a great movie for the whole family to enjoy it is one good movie it is a funny movie it is a hoot you will like this movie a lot i even like it and this is a cool movie you will say wow this is a great movie it is one good movie i never saw a movie this good before it is one funny movie you will like this movie a lot this movie is the bomb it is one good movie you will like this movie a lot this movie is the bomb this movie is on fire it is one cool movie i like this movie a lot that i want to watch it now this is one cool movie. This is one good movie that you will like it a lot make this movie number 1 of all of the Scooby DOO movies i like this movie so much you will like it too this movie is a masterpiece a work of art a amazing movie that you just have too see it too believe it i like this movie a lot and so will you and your kids have a great Scooby DOO day you will like it
Much More Entertaining Than Expected
Mr_Sensitive27 June 2005
Story: The gangs got invited to the themes park of Spooky Island to solve the mysteries, as it seem that who ever visit the island go back home in a very odd behavior.

Though it kind of pretty weird watching it at first, you will used to it and somehow I did quite find it pretty enjoyable and it did stick pretty good to the cartoon story, that the reason I like it.

The cast was alright, actually it better than expected, Velma look-a-like the most. And Scooby-Doo did work pretty well. The only problem was with the character like Scabby Doo and the ending might not appealed the kids that much. Otherwise it alright.

Recommendation: Though it got pretty low rating here, I still recommend it for the kid.

Rating: 6.5/10 (Grade: C+)
Subtly Subversive Scooby Doobie Doo
Chewbacca_4217 October 2005
Upon second stoned viewing my endearment is renewed. The marijuana references will fly above the wee ones' little noggins. For the rest of us, it's a quintessential high home entertainment experience. Whereas the vulnerable compromised mind might panic from genuine chills and thrills, the mild scares herein enhanced by intoxication fit just right. The golden twosome, Fred and Daphne are himbo and bimbo incarnate, while Velma predictably suffers from mortal cartoon myopia and a body of knowledge limited only by plot requirements. Stoner stars, Shaggy and Scooby are happily single-minded in their pursuit of munchies, while remaining lovably selfish and craven. Ultimately, the crew rises to the occasion even if it requires slight departure from caricature. With suitable scatologies, Scooby's infectious cackle, and single-minded snack fixation, it's a "runderful" romp, not to be enjoyed sober. P.S. Cartoonish CGI complements the mood, so don't have a cow about it, okay?
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable!
g-bodyl11 November 2010
Scooby-Doo is a pretty good movie but it's not the greatest in the world. I think they did a good job with the CGI Scooby but the acting is somewhat weak. I also loved Scrappy the evil dog. He is probably the best thing about the movie.

This is based of the cartoon. Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby are invited to Spooky Island where they investigate a few disturbances that happen in the area.

I mentioned before that the acting is a little weak. I thought Matthew Lillard as Shaggy was annoying but there was a funny farting scene between Shaggy and Scooby. The other actors were just okay.

The special effects are not too bad. They made some believable monsters.

Overall, this is a decent film. I had fun watching this but I liked the cartoons better. I rate this film 7/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live action update of Hanna-Barbara's early 70s animated TV series with lots of entertainment and amusement
ma-cortes20 August 2011
The film concerns about our friends who form ¨the Mystery Inc¨ group . After an acrimonious break up, the Mystery Inc. gang are individually brought to an island resort to resolve strange goings on . After two years separated, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby are mysteriously united together to investigate an issue on Spooky Island. As Scooby Doo ,Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) along with the remaining group (Sara Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prince Jr , Linda Cardellini) are back to solve a case that takes place at an eerie island where occurs weird events including some monsters with nefarious purposes . A theme park affects young visitors in very strange ways . But it seems to be they are brought back as one for more than just solving a magical mystery . Meanwhile Shaggy falls in love with a tourist (Isla Fisher). The equipment members are going out to investigate towards the amusement park, whose owner is a suspect man named named Mondavarious(Rowan Atkinson) . He needs their help, figuring out why the vacationers are leaving mellow and sober . The Mystery Inc soon realize that they cannot resolve this enigma without help from each other .

In this entertaining picture there are comedy , tongue-in-cheek , slapstick, humorous moments, mild diversion and is pretty amusing. All are given an adolescent treatment which means no gore and no bad language just some old-fashioned likable scares , being funny watching humans meld into the CG characters . However , it contains bad taste when takes place a contest about fart jokes between Shaggy and Scooby. Of course , coward Scooby steals the spectacle as food-obsessed canine anti-hero with its grimace , faces and gesture .Many gags are good however the tale sometimes drags. Special mention to gags between Shagg and Scooby,they make a sympathetic comic couple . Movie combines live action with breezy computer generator animation on Scooby Doo creation , special effects are well done . The motion picture is regularly directed by Raja Gosnell who also filmed the follow-up . Kiddies may find the corny, flat humor and bemusing situations , but most adults will be disappointed , exception for the fans the classic cartoon series created by Hanna Barbera. Rating : average but entertaining and clearly aimed at the junior audience . Protagonists' antics might provide the silly smiles , but this cartoonist physical comedy is mostly ineffective . It's followed by a second part in similar style , cast and realization , titled ¨Scooby Doo unleashed¨ with lots of fun and as amused as the first , and will be best appreciated by preteen enthusiasts of the cartoon movies .
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like the cartoon
mgreatho18 June 2002
First...my qualifications: I have been watching Scooby now for over 20 years. I am afraid I'm not quite old enough to have been around when it first debuted. My friends say I am a fanatic and I keep enough Scooby paraphenalia around my desk that people say it's closer to a shrine.

The reason why it's important to remember all of this is because I write this review more than a little biased. However, I can say in all honesty that I LOVED the movie. I thought everyone involved did a pretty good job at keeping it true to its roots, and that's what I liked the most. Personally, I think that producing a Scooby-Doo movie puts someone at odds between making a movie that mimics a Scooby cartoon, or making a movie that will appeal to a wide audience. The two are just not the same.

If you look at what most people feel is 'classic' Scooby-Doo, you get cartoons are that corny, low-production, and have a very thin plot. They are for the most part, mindless romps into a world of men in masks, and teenagers with their talking dog, gallivanting across the world solving the same old mysteries. The locales and names may change, but it's pretty much the same old story. What we love about them, and why a 28 year old man still stops flipping channels when I find Scooby, is that simply put, we love that dog and his fellow cohorts. We like watching Scoob and Shag munch down an entire pizza in two seconds, or seeing Scooby steal the soda from the rest of the gang. And most importantly, we love Scooby for all the corniness, lame jokes and disguises. This is a dog everyone would love to own, just don't put your sandwich down in front of him.

That really doesn't translate to a Hollywood blockbuster. My most important consideration for the Scooby-Doo movie was whether or not they would keep that good, clean, wholesome image, and in all honesty, they do. There are a few adult jokes, but this is a family movie and if you put too much into adult themes, complex story lines, and character development, you would definitely disappoint the real Scooby fans, who will continue to watch the movies and cartoons long after this movie has had its run.

If I take out my bias of Scooby, I must admit that I don't think this movie would stand on its own. It's a fun eighty-seven minute flick, but it's kind of shallow and there are too many inside jokes to truly enjoy it. The bottom line is, if you like classic Scooby-Doo, you'll probably love the film, however if you didn't like the Scooby-Doo cartoon, you won't like the movie. It still gets a 10 in my book, but it's a 10 based on my interpretation of Scooby, without him, it's only about a 5.
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.