A kids show host, Rainbow Randolph, is fired in disgrace while his replacement, Sheldon Mopes, aka Smoochy the Rhino, finds himself a rising star. Unfortunately for Sheldon, the business of kids television isn't all child's play.
Fired in disgrace, kids show host Randolph Smiley finds himself out on the street, while his replacement Sheldon Mopes, finds himself on the fast track to success with a new hit show as the proud purple rhino Smoochy. But things take a turn for the worst when Sheldon finds out that some of the people that he works with, and some he doesn't know he's working for, are all in it for the money. Meanwhile, Randolph is slowly turning insane with his only thoughts focusing on killing Smoochy and getting back to his life of luxury.Written by
Robin Williams, Pam Ferris and Danny De Vito both appeared in a film with Mara Wilson. Williams and Mara Wilson were both in Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) and Pam Ferris and Danny De Vito appeared with Mara Wilson in Matilda (1996). See more »
The shot of the dead body in Chinatown appears to have been flipped - the Chinese characters reflected in a pool on the street are not reversed. See more »
When the movie premiered on several channels such as ABC, TBS, Comedy Central or NBC, all the sexual references, offensive scenes and profanity were edited out, except other words like "damn" and "hell". The TV edited version of the film was rated TV-PG-L for mild language. 1. The Cookie Rocket Ship scene was completely removed, because of the use of the cookie that is shaped like a penis.
2. The Nazi parts (especially the Neo-Nazi Rally scene) were removed, because it was felt that it would be offensive towards Germans.
3. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the North tower of the World Trade Center was digitally removed in the part where Rainbow Randolph was dancing on the small bench in Duane Park in Duane Street in Lower Manhattan. The North tower was still intact in the original film.
4. The part where Nora flips off Sheldon was omitted.
5. The scenes where Nora having sex with Sheldon in the changing room at KidNet Studios were removed completely.
6. In the conversation scene between Randolph and Frank Stokes in the car, the masturbating noise was muted.
7. The part where Randolph spills hot water on himself was removed, due to him saying that his balls were on fire. See more »
I smiled through the whole film (when I wasn't laughing)
I've never seen a Danny De Vito film I didn't like, and Smoochy is no exception. Original and creative at every turn, with great performances from Edward Norton, Robin Williams, Catherine Keener, and everyone else in the cast. I smiled and/or laughed through the whole film. What more can you ask from a bent and twisted comedy, I ask you?
39 of 49 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this