A kids show host, Rainbow Randolph, is fired in disgrace while his replacement, Sheldon Mopes, aka Smoochy the Rhino, finds himself a rising star. Unfortunately for Sheldon, the business of kids television isn't all child's play.
Fired in disgrace, kids show host Randolph Smiley finds himself out on the street, while his replacement Sheldon Mopes, finds himself on the fast track to success with a new hit show as the proud purple rhino Smoochy. But things take a turn for the worst when Sheldon finds out that some of the people that he works with, and some he doesn't know he's working for, are all in it for the money. Meanwhile, Randolph is slowly turning insane with his only thoughts focusing on killing Smoochy and getting back to his life of luxury.Written by
In the original script, the Smoochy costume was orange. See more »
Sheldon is arrested at the Nazi Party in New Jersey, but booked at a NYPD station which is in a different state. See more »
[fighting over the sniper rifle]
You shot Smoochy, you bastard! Give me that gun, you whacked out piece of shit!
Buggy Ding Dong:
No! I've got to kill the rhino!
See more »
When the movie premiered on several channels such as ABC, TBS, Comedy Central or NBC, all the sexual references, offensive scenes and profanity were edited out, except other words like "damn" and "hell". The TV edited version of the film was rated TV-PG-L for mild language. 1. The Cookie Rocket Ship scene was completely removed, because of the use of the cookie that is shaped like a penis.
2. The Nazi parts (especially the Neo-Nazi Rally scene) were removed, because it was felt that it would be offensive towards Germans.
3. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the North tower of the World Trade Center was digitally removed in the part where Rainbow Randolph was dancing on the small bench in Duane Park in Duane Street in Lower Manhattan. The North tower was still intact in the original film.
4. The part where Nora flips off Sheldon was omitted.
5. The scenes where Nora having sex with Sheldon in the changing room at KidNet Studios were removed completely.
6. In the conversation scene between Randolph and Frank Stokes in the car, the masturbating noise was muted.
7. The part where Randolph spills hot water on himself was removed, due to him saying that his balls were on fire. See more »
I have been updating my movie knowledge of Ed Norton movies and came across this film that I'd never even heard of. Then I read some of the reviews and thought "aah, this might be one of those really bad B-category craps" but I watched it anyway. Well, first of all, this movie really is funny! Totally over the top, colourful, cheesy, sticky sweet mess of fun, black comedy and drama. I loved the characters, and Smoochy (Edward Norton) is absolutely adorable. He looks like he really enjoyed being this goofy guy in a rhino costume and he's having fun with it. The medical centre scene is so hilarious I had to watch it again and again, as well as the scene when he has to improvise in front of the kids. Brilliant. Hysterical. I loved every minute of this movie. Of course, it's just a sidelined little project, never became a blockbuster, and it does need a certain mood to be enjoyable, but it still got on my ultimate funny-movie top list. De Vito did a good job directing it, so well done!
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this