Joseph: King of Dreams (Video 2000) Poster

(2000 Video)

A pleasant watch...
queeny47917 January 2004
This is Dreamworks' 2nd attempt at an animated movie based on a Biblical story (note the word "based"...plenty of artistic liberty is taken). Though it can't hold a candle to "Prince of Egypt", it is a fair attempt and a pleasant movie to watch.

The animation doesn't seem to be top notch (or at least as well as Dreamworks demonstrated in PoE), but it was easy to get used to. The songs were not particularly memorable (ie: I couldn't tell you more than a line of lyrics used), but I can't really complain because the music was very nice and the singing was good. Not enough to blow me away, but a pleasant background to the story.

Perhaps what I liked best were the characters themselves. After experiencing Andrew Lloyd Webber's take on the Joseph story, I was eager to see how someone would take it seriously. I found that the movie made Joseph to be a rounded character. I mean, he had character flaws! Good for him! The brother's sudden change (well, I guess there were 20 years...) wasn't bothersome, and I thought Potiphar was particularly well done. Asenath was a nice addition as well.

Overall, a nice way to get kids to enjoy the story. A good execution of the story, which did make me care about the characters. Okay animation and music. 7.5 out of 10.
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful!!
Julia198925 July 2004
This is a good film in every which way. It's the best animation I've seen so far. It's not only has a fantastic plot but the animation was also great. The character designs are very lively looking. Even without the singing animals and fairies and gnomes it's an exceptionally enjoyable. I love the movie particularly because it's so devoted to the original Biblical plot. (unlike "Prince of Egypt" which is very inaccurate. no offense though, "Prince of Egypt" was a nice one, too!) it's a great film to introduce people into Bible. *It's the 1st time I've developed a crush on an animation character!*(the cartoon figure of Joseph)

PERFECT!!! 10/10 from me!!
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Good Work...
jwrowe321 July 2002
In this day of pure junk that gets foisted off on our kids(and parents that buy the movies) this film is a treat. I can't sit and tell you how close that this story follows the Bible, and in the opening credits, it states that some license was taken. Fine. My children sat thru it and enjoyed it. That's the sign of a good movie for a young person.

With the sole exception of the folks that make the "Veggie Tales" series of videos, there seems to be a great lack of good movies with a positive tone, without a ton of violence, and good "values" tossed in. Like Prince of Egypt, this movie has it's Biblical tone, but never forces it down your throat, in the way that some kid's Bible videos, do.

Even if you have a problem with movies along those lines, "Joseph" is a pleasing piece of work.

I'm not a Pollyanna by any means, but in light of what our kids have been watching since September 2001, isn't it nice that there are a few feature length films that can be shown to youngsters, without worrying about what might be seen?

A good 6 out of 10.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Exactly Biblically Correct, but still a great story.
Iammymothersdaughter26 November 2001
No, I'm not a Bible-Thumper. However, Joseph is one of the most precious examples of a man who trusted God with everything he had and did, and how God was with him throughout his life.

Joseph, King of Dreams doesn't quite reflect that total, precious trust in my opinion. However, this is a children's animated story and I know that some liberty has to be taken to get the point across to kids in a way that they will be both entertained, and remember well. This story does achieve that goal in spades. My nieces and nephew are glued to the set whenever we put this movie in, and my oldest niece can almost recite it verbatim.

I can just imagine how hard it must be for the actors to put life and feeling into an animated character, and all of the actors who lent their voices were positively excellent. I gave this film an overall rating of 8 - if you have little children and are wondering how in the world to introduce your kids to the greatest story ever told, here's your answer for a stupendous start.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A different film from Prince of Egypt ....less overwrought and more enjoyable
vacao19 August 2007
We bought this film in a two-pack with PoE and find ourselves watching King of Dreams much more than PoE. I personally find that:

1) The story is incredibly satisfying emotionally. Joseph's story of commitment to God in the face of such challenges and especially his struggle to forgive his brothers is something that I think everyone can relate to.

2) The acting is top notch. They didn't near as many high powered stars as PoE, but apparently Ben Affleck and Mark Hamil decided that they couldn't coast through this and put in super performances.

3) The music is less "soundtracky" and more singable. I 2 years later, I still can't get "You know better than I" out of my head.

4) The animation, sigh, is not quite as ambitious as PoE, but is definitely sufficient to tell the story. I didn't notice any letdown until I read a previous poster's comment about a lack of animation on the level of the Red Sea parting or burning bush PoE scenes, and they're right. But I didn't miss them. Go hang your PS3 screenshots in a museum -- I'll stick to my awesome Wii gameplay.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Left me breathless
BabyCarrot15 December 2000
Ever since I started hearing rumors about this on Prince of Egypt message boards last year, I was pretty much looking forward to seeing it - though in the early stages of this news, I didn't take it too seriously. However, it is no longer a rumor but is now for real. And I must say, it left me breathless. I will probably sound high saying this but anyway...it was a *beautiful* movie. It made me laugh and cry. It was really emotional. The songs really touched my heart, and now they are stuck to my mind! Of course, that's not a problem and I loved the way the dreams were presented, they reminded me of the paintings of Van Gogh and other expressionist paintings. I also found a lot of things to be similar to PoE, especially those words before the start of the movie....but then I suppose I can understand that they made it like that since the two stories are related. Yhe characters look like the ones in Prince, too. It really reminds me a lot about Prince, yet I find it difficult to say which one is better.

Love it and I will watch it again. It is unforgettable. I really loved the scene when Joseph first enters Egypt, the city seemed sooo...majestic. I was totally glued to it and the way they portrayed the characters really interesting too. They made them seem so real, especially the relationships between the family members and Joseph was...amazing and I admire his personality too. If I were Jacob, I would be *swelling* with pride. Bwn Affleck did a superb job as him.

Indeed, I will see this movie again and again.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very pleasant watch, but I don't think it is as good as The Prince of Egypt
TheLittleSongbird27 January 2010
Joseph:King of Dreams is a very pleasant direct to video film. Like Prince of Egypt, this is also based on a story from the Bible. However, while this is worth watching and underrated I think too, I don't think it is as good as Prince of Egypt. I have to be fair though, considering how superb Prince of Egypt was, for that movie is one of the most evocative, compelling and stirring animated movies ever, this film had a lot to live up to. In general, this does a more than acceptable job at telling the story from the Bible.

The film's criticisms are very few. The story while quite faithful to the story is a little choppy in places, but manages to be compelling enough in others. In its defence though, I have always felt the biblical story one of the less interesting stories in the Bible, but that is probably just me. There are also one or two moments when the character development is a little shallow, primarily with Joseph's brothers-Joseph was a very convincing and fleshed out protagonist- and the ending is perhaps abrupt. All these problems are probably disadvantaged by one major factor, the film for me is too short.

However, there is so much to recommend. The animation is superb, the background art is audacious, and the fluidity of the character movements is evident. I loved the look of Joseph's coat, and how the animators animated his dreams. I also think the music is under-appreciated, as I really liked the songs. You Know Better Than I is my favourite, and I may have a confession, I have a slight preference to the songs here than I do to the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. The characters are good, Joseph is convincing as a protagonist, especially in the latter half of the film, and Asenath is one of the more vivacious female characters in a non-Disney animated movie. She reminds me a bit of Tzipporah and Chel. And the voices were well done, quite the opposite. I don't normally care for Ben Affleck, but he wasn't that bad here. Going on a tangent, people complained of Matt Damon being dull in Spirit and I not only really liked the film but I thought Damon was good. If I had any thoughts on who voice acted better, I think Affleck was slightly better. Jodi Benson proves what a wonderful voice actress she is by providing a strong and emphatic persona for Asenath, and Mark Hamill is great as Judah.

In conclusion, this is a good film, not perfect, but it is underrated. 7/10 Bethany Cox
Great anime!
epona02120 May 2008
I'd already heard about Joseph:King of Dreams for a long time but it was just a few days ago that I decided to watch it and I completely fell in love with it. I loved the music, the scene where Joseph enters the Egypt is the most remarkable of all, at least for me.

Loved all the characters (Jacob, Potiphar, Rachel, Asenath, Benjamin...). At first, I hated his older brothers for abandoning him but in the end their regret and feelings of guilt were visible. They tried to atone their crime by treating their younger brother Benjamin with genuine affection, something they were unable to do with Joseph. Special mention has of course to be directed towards the real star of this film Joseph (which was always meant to be), when it concerns character development. He is first introduced as being an innocent kid with a gentle nature but then he obviously grew up to face the cruel face his brothers forced upon him. It was a really well-done character who kept his kindness despite all the hardships he went through and I really felt for him.

I don't have complaints about the music, I enjoyed all the songs especially "become a slave".
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Such a good film - I nearly rate it 9!
Mightyzebra2 June 2007
Genre: Cartoon Bible story Musical

My thoughts: To admit the plain truth, I was a bit shy of watching this because we had watched the "Prince Of Egypt" by the same makers and DID NOT like it! We watched this just over a month ago and I really like it! Since then I've watched it about four or five times (including once yesterday) and I'm STILL not bored of it (I think my bro's a bit bored of it. He keeps saying this film is "barking religious" but then he thinks that about anything that's religious). I like this film because of the beautiful songs (I can't stop singing "You know better than I", but of course my bro's bored of it because he's changed it to "I know better than you" and he gets a good laugh. I'm more bored of that version than the original!), stunning animation, good characters and it does a good job on the bible story.

What it all adds up to: Beautiful songs + Stunning animation + A good job on the bible story + Memorable characters = The beautiful film that is "Joseph: King Of Dreams. Enjoy! :)

What happens: Joseph is the first born of Rachel, which makes him a miracle child. In a way he is! He outshines his half-brothers and makes his father and mother happy. He even receives a beautiful, shining coat...
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty nice and not too long for a child's attention span
jep_only5 February 2005
The first time I watched "Joseph", my attention was attracted by the film. I liked the songs, the animation, the Egyptian stuff, and the simple fact that it is a Bible story. Immediately after finishing the film, I played it again. So the first time I watched it, I watched it twice. It was a refreshing film, after hundreds upon hundreds of films containing violence, bad words, immoral acts and filth. It is perfect for children and adult alike. The length of the film appeals to the child's attention span, while the Biblical message appeals to all. The songs were "singable", that is, they were easy to learn and fun to sing. Plus they have a meaning. I especially like the first song because that's where you first see how Joseph's brothers feel about him. In the first song, you already get to learn a lesson: be careful in what you say. Overall, it's a good movie for all age levels. I hope that other people will like and understand the message in it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well done
eponinefantine2 October 2002
I feel that since I am not a particular person who follows the stories of the bible that I can look at this and enjoy it for the artistry and that it is an incredible story told in animation. At first I wasn't sure if I'd actually like the film because it was a bible from the story. At first I watched it just to hear the music, but as I watched the film it became more and more about the film itself not the music. Overall I thought it was a story well told. Ben Affleck did a good job as Joseph. It wasn't a role he had taken on before so that made it more interesting. I liked all the actors in it. It was different. But I also appriciate the actor/singers who gave thier singing talent to make the piece. For example David Campbell(who sang for Joseph) has an incredible array of talent and did a wonderful job with the singing. I feel with Ben Afflect performing by just plain voice and David Campbell performing as the singing voice made it interesting to watch. They as well as the other actors and singers make the movie complete and wonderful to watch. Overall a wonderful story well told.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Joseph: King of Dreams Is Highly Entertaining
Desertman845 November 2011
Joseph: King of Dreams is an animated musical film and the first direct- to-video DVD release from DreamWorks.It tells the biblical story of Joseph.The animation features the voices of Ben Affleck,Mark Hamill,James Eckhouse,Richard McGonagle and Richard Herd.

Joseph: King of Dreams brings to life the tale of a boy named Joseph,featuring the voice of Ben Affleck,whose dreams bring him powerful visions of the future. His abilities to prognosticate win him a favored position with the Pharaoh of Egypt, but only inflames his contentious relationship with his brothers.All ends well,when Joseph becomes reunited with his family.It presents the story that was touching and provides a sincere theme about forgiveness and having faith in God in times of trials and difficulties.

Joseph: King of Dreams also features several original songs sung by Maureen McGovern and Jodi Benson.The soundtrack features music and lyrics written by John Bucchino such as "Miracle Child","Bloom" and "Better Than I".These songs make the movie worth watching and highly entertaining.

Joseph: King of Dreams is highly recommended for everyone who loves great stories from the Bible.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Good!
angelginel23 October 2007
Not bad at all! I really missed the Egyptian-like music from PoE, but these songs worked great too. However, to that person who said this movie was completely accurate with the bible, well, you're wrong. One of the things that caught my attention was that they named Juda as the leader of the brothers, when according to the Bible Reuben was the oldest. Then we see that he meets his brother Benjamin in Egypt for the first time, and also finds out that his mother has passed away.According to the Bible when Joseph was sold as a slave his Benjamin was already born and his mother had died during labor. By the way, why were the pyramids shown when he first got to Egypt, if, according to history they weren't built yet? Well, I guess I could understand that one, since people usually think of pyramids when they think of Egypt, it must have seen like a good idea to add them to let people know where he was. For those of you out there who don't read the bible, we must explain that this story actually precedes Moses' story in the bible, which can help them understand better how these 2 stories are connected... Joseph's family move to Egypt by the end of the movie, and as the years went by they were obviously multiplied, which brings us to the beginning of the Prince of Egypt, which shows how Egypt is now filled with Hebrews. The bible tells us that this new Pharaoh and his generation had forgotten what Joseph had done for them many years ago, the Hebrews were forced into slavery and finally a law was made to kill all the male babies to keep the Jewish population from growing, since Pharaoh thought that they might raise against the Egyptians.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Bible story for everyone to enjoy over and over again.
scoobyg699 November 2000
Dreamworks has done it again. Joseph is just as triumphant as The Prince of Egypt. The animation is just as spactacular, and it's accuracy is VERY close. A great bible story lesson for the children and family to enjoy over and over again. Great music, an animated epic. Why this one didn't hit theators in America is the biggest mystery. The biggest shame is that no one has heard of this one, it is a real "FIND."
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Solid, but not great
Thalcos11 November 2000
Prince of Egypt was a spectacular animated movie that blended seriousness, clever animation techniques, great voice actors, and a perfect soundtrack that avoided the pitfall of most modern animated movies - overbearing musical numbers.

Joseph King of Dreams came very close to matching Prince of Egypt in a lot of those areas. Though it's not quite as serious as Prince of Egypt, it deftly avoids any kind of slapstick comedy or cute animals. Ben Affleck gives a good performance, and the animation is near feature quality.

Where King of Dreams fails, however, is the music. The songs are not nearly as good as those in Prince of Egypt, tending to be more flowery and flighty. Furthermore, they interrupt the action in most cases and soon become overbearing. Prince of Egypt used songs to advance the story; the songs were in the background, and the characters rarely actually "sang onscreen." In King of Dreams, however, characters will break out into song in the middle of the action, and the song won't really have much to do with the plot of the movie. Fans of Disney animation probably won't have a problem with this, but I was disappointed in both the quality of the music and the timing of it.

The dream sequences in the movie were very well done, each having a surreal art style that reflected the dreamer.

If you were a fan of Prince of Egypt, you'll probably enjoy King of Dreams but be disappointed that Dreamworks didn't get Stephen Schwartz and Hanz Zimmer to do the music for this one.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best historical film I've seen!
Irishreviewer25 October 2015
I have admit this film was a bit of a tearjerker when Joseph was betrayed by his eleven brothers. They really were such a jealous bunch because of their father loving more of Joseph then the rest of them. I mean,it really wasn't Joseph's fault but the parents. Then himself becoming a Egyption slave and being sent to prison for adultery with the Pharaohs wife that didn't happen but she wanted him for some reason!

Thankfully the happy ending comes, he's married to the Pharaoh's niece, had a family and rekindled with his brothers plus father. I mean, you wouldn't think he would forgive them but sure he's the prince of Egypt mow so he can't complain there!

It's such a beautiful movie with brilliant music and a good storyline!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good for a direct-to-video film
soso1044 July 2016
The movie is a sort of companion piece to The Prince of Egypt. The art style is the same, but it is obvious that this was made on a far smaller budget. The animation is pretty rough in some places, but not so much that it really bothered me while watching it. There are some very beautiful backgrounds and landscapes.

Especially noteworthy are the dream sequences, which use some more experimental animation. Joseph's two dreams have a style like a van Gogh painting, which works very well. The Pharaoh's dream uses CGI, and looks like a video game cutscene. I didn't like that one, but kudos to the creators for taking a risk.

The songs are all very enjoyable and well sung, but none of them really stuck in my memory.

I definitely enjoyed rediscovering a biblical story that I had almost forgotten. I think anyone who liked The Prince of Egypt will enjoy this movie as well, as long as they keep in mind that this was made on a more modest budget.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One more thing I *had* to add...
BabyCarrot17 February 2001
After "Prince of Egypt," I never thought I would see another memorably wonderful film again. What followed was a series of shallow, temporarily funny, and rather depressing films. But then "King of Dreams" came out and changed the course of...well...everything. A wonderfully made film with stunning visual effects, uplifting songs, an outstanding cast, and a heartwarming theme: the decision of forgiving those who have hurt us. Indeed, this is the best film I have seen for 2000. It is such a refreshing break from the rest of the so-so films that the film industry has been churning out lately. (With the exception of "Gladiator.") What puzzles me though is why it did not go to theaters. It is sooo nice!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A worthy follow-up to Prince of Egypt from Dreamworks
Richard Smith10 February 2001
I just stumbled across this on cable and was very impressed. It definitely meets and exceeds the expectations that you'd have for a direct-to-video follow-up. I guess this is Dreamworks' first effort at direct-to-video and I only wish they hadn't made such a secret of it.

It borrows nearly every aspect of it's storytelling style and production design from Prince of Egypt, and I do mean that as a compliment. The only thing missing is that there are no scenes that match the transcendance of the burning bush or Red Sea crossing scenes from POE.

If you examine the credits closely, you'll see thats some of the animation work was done by asian subcontractors, and it's a little disturbing that even with the lesser demands of video-only, Dreamworks still found this necessary. In spite of all the innovations Dreamworks is doing in terms of merging hand-drawn and computer-generated animation, there's still a lot of manual effort needed in the details of the character movement, and you can see where they cut corners if you're paying close attention.

The bottom line is that Dreamworks, even when it's "slumming" in the direct-to-video market, has still produced an animated Bible story that's head and shoulders above nearly every other animated Bible story that's ever been done, with the exception of POE of course. Not too shabby. Once again my hat is off to Katzenberg and his crew.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable but not really memorable.
Boba_Fett113820 May 2004
The movie is a good watch but it doesn't really impress.

The movie feels like it had been made in an hurry. The movie is pretty short and even though the story covers everything that needs to be told it still feels hasty all.

The animations are decent but turn pail compared to other Dreamworks animated movie "The Prince of Egypt". The only scene's that are above average are the early dream scene's that seemed to be heavily inspired on the style of van Gogh paintings. Some of the other later dream sequences rely too much on some weak computer animations.

The songs are simply horrible, there is no tone in them and are merely some spoking sentences that are sung with some music played under it. The song "Better than I" however is an exception and is actually very good.

Pleasant to watch but also very easy to forget.

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
maggie-bg-123 February 2006
I think this movie does not fall short of the Prince of Egypt at all... Even though the animation did not have as much detail. Dreamworks chose one of the best stories in the bible- actually it is my personal favorite... Not only is it an interesting and easy to follow story, it makes you understand many sides of the story equally. I felt sorry for Joseph but understood the brothers for example. The characters were very humane and I loved Affleck as Joseph- his voice fit the character perfectly. I also loved Joseph period... :) I think he was really cute <3... I also thought the songs were very catchy. This is the type of movie you watch with a glass of hot cocoa when you're snowed in with the whole family! I think it was truly a delight!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Puts Disney's direct-to-video productions to shame!
Jesper Brun27 April 2018
I really liked the respect DreamWorks showed respect towards their biblical epic The Prince of Egypt and their biblical source material. Disney should be ashamed of themselves ruining their beloved classics!

While Joseph: King of Dreams is nowhere near the intensity of PoE it still does a pretty good job with what they had to work with. Personally, the only thing I felt was noteworthy is the look of the animation. You know a smaller budget when you see it, but hey, direct-to-video stuff.

Even by those standards the animators really did their best, because once in a while we are presented to these wonderful Van Gogh stylized dream sequences which were highlights along with some of the hieroglyphs in the palace.

The central theme of the movie of family and heritage is a bit similar to PoE, but different enough to make it its own. The voice actors also did good jobs conveying the emotional drama unfolding. I think all involved gave us their ultimate offering considering their limited resources.

In short, less heavy-weight on the drama and the music, but respectful of its source material. Recommendable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As good as Prince of Egypt? Yeah right!
lillyessa7 March 2001
I've just finished reading the comments for Prince of Egypt, and then came to read a bit about King of Dreams...and was absolutely shocked at the 7/10 rating! Ye gods, people.

1. Joseph was a low budget production with not even half the effort put into animation as Prince of Egypt. The textures, particularly on Joseph's coat, were cheap and probably manufactured with an hour's tweaking in Adobe PhotoShop. The computer and hand-drawn animation was sloppily merged, reminiscent of the new Spiderman show, where it's obvious that Spidey's a 2-d character swinging through a world of 3d buildings. One dream sequence is a direct replication of the dream sequence in Joseph, with the stylised Egyptian art, and another done in makeshift watercolour is confusing and sloppy, and gave me a headache.

2. The music was cheap. Hardly living up to the PoE soundtrack, which I am listening to right at this very moment. Actually, if I recall, one song in particular was just a cheap rip off of a song from PoE.

3. The story and acting was horrible. Dialogue was badly written. Joseph's character was acted very badly.

My commonlaw spouse and I rented this movie in hopes that Dreamworks would have put out a film topping the calibre of PoE, but we were sorely disappointed. Dreamworks released this film with the intentions of catching the PoE wave before it had subsided (read: they wanted more money), and Joseph carried none of the passion, spirit, or tremendous impact that the Prince of Egypt carried off oh-so-well.

Strike one, Dreamworks. Don't become another Disney - they make their money with quantity, more often than not...stick with getting our dollars through quality.

Three out of ten stars for the occasional glimpse of character and story.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mediocre Follow-up
johnmichael-217 May 2007
Dreamworks made this film after their runaway success with another Biblical movie: "The Prince of Egypt." That film was an amazing film, both in story and in its groundbreaking animation and wonderful music.

This film, however, while it still retains the great storyline that the Bible will always give, fails on all other levels. The voices aren't that great, the music is boring, the animation is ho-hum, and it all comes together rather sloppily. Worst of all, this movie is screaming the fact that it's a follow-up of "Prince of Egypt." Sure, watch this film once for its great themes on forgiveness. Also watch this if you have little kids, who won't mind the mediocre talent behind this piece. After that, rewatch "The Prince of Egypt" and enjoy it some more, because it's really a lot, lot better than this little creation.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this