Dolphins (2000) Poster

(2000)

Great Documentary
TheIcabisBat27 June 2001
I saw this movie at the IMAX therater in Philadelphia the other day and thought it was great. IMAX is the best way to see a movie like this but it would be just fine on a TV. The images are beautiful and you can learn a few things such as the orca is actually a dolphin. 9/10
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, Informative and Engaging
SacramentoStealth22 December 2001
An entertaining, informative movie with great computer graphics, superb camera work and marvelous narration by the syrupy voice of Pierce Brosnan. It held the attention of not only two 30-something adults, but three kids aged 7, 5 and 4. What more needs to be said? Highly recommended.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
Sunshine366163 July 2001
I worked at an IMAX theater for 3 years. We had to watch the same movie several times a day, every day. Dolphins was definitely one of the better IMAX films. The film is very educational, but also manages to be entertaining. The visual effects are good as well. The tropical scenery is breath-taking.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dolphins? Check. Pierce Brosnan? Check. Woman in Skimpy Swimsuit?......OK.
The_Light_Triton25 November 2005
Dolphins are by far the greatest sea dwellers to swim in the seas that surround us. they are amazing beyond our comprehension and imagination. So why not get educated more about them...in Imax! Since this is a documentary about dolphins, there's not much to be said, but hey, i cannot leave this comment on the IMDb without mentioning how awesome the female scientist is. Kathleen Dudzinski, the Woman behind the education in this documentary, says she's dedicated her whole life to studying dolphins and educating people...it also seems that you see more of her than you see of the dolphins. The tagline of this documentary should be "Stare long enough and you might see a dolphin!" OK, OK, enough with bashing that.

Bottom line, it's still a good, informative documentary you should check out. plus, it's in Imax!!!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does Anyone Not Like Dolphins?
StrictlyConfidential23 June 2018
Just like seahorses, manta rays, and electric eels - Dolphins are, without question, one of my absolute, most favorite sea-creatures on the entire face of this diverse planet.

Playful, friendly, very vocal, and highly social - Dolphins are ranked right up there as being one of the smartest of all animals on Earth..... (I even suspect that they are smarter than humans)

Originally an IMAX presentation - This "good news/bad news" wildlife documentary looks at how man is trying to understand (before it's too late) dolphin behavior and test its intelligence.

I recommend this DVD as worthwhile viewing to one, and all.
Okay message, okay documentary
Horst_In_Translation1 April 2016
"Dolphins" is an IMAX documentary from over 15 years ago and like all of these it runs for roughly 40 minutes. The director here is the prolific Greg MacGillivray and this one here may be his biggest success as it managed to score an Academy Award nomination in the usually pretty obscure documentary short category. I would say this one here tells hardly anything new, but still manages a decent sum-up of major facts about the animals in the title. Sometimes it loses itself a bit when talking about the human protagonist here and I wish it could have been more critical about these orca amusement parks, but oh well, you cannot have everything. Still, there were some parts where it is pretty informative and interesting and these are the ones for which I say: This documentary is worth checking out. I personally find it a bit distracting when there are 2 narrators, but it is bearable here because it is a man and woman. I guess they really wanted Brosnan on board as he was James Bond still at this point. Music comes from Sting and works okay with what we see. All in all, a thumbs-up, even if I believe there was the potential for a better film here in terms of the subject and it never achieved greatness.
Fly under the water
sandroscarpa15 February 2001
Really not bad! IN this documentary science and visual energie are combined with the freshness of sea images, underwater shots and amazing air shots. Great emotions if you watch it on megascreen or spheric screen.