Cursed (2005) Poster

(2005)

Decent film with expected editing problems
BrandtSponseller27 February 2005
Ellie (Christina Ricci) and her brother Jimmy (Jesse Eisenberg) are on their way home when they get into a car accident. While trying to help the other driver out of an overturned vehicle, the other driver is attacked by what Jimmy swears was a "huge man-like wolf". Both Jimmy and Ellie end up scratched and possibly bitten by the creature. When they begin noticing strange physical effects and behavior--including both of them suddenly becoming more assertive socially--they begin to wonder if a werewolf has bitten them. If so, will they turn into werewolves, too?

Cursed had a notoriously difficult time making it to the screen. It began production in 2002, then went through four major shoots with 90% of the material being tossed out at one point. Major characters, played by major actors--including Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Skeet Ulrich--were in and out of the film. Director Wes Craven even ended up abandoning the film altogether when Dimension Films chairman Bob Weinstein demanded a PG-13 cut rather than Craven's initial R. Someone else did the final PG-13 cut. As should be expected, these events appear to have harmed the film.

As the theatrical release stands, chunks of the film appear to be missing. For example, we see Jimmy and Ellie both pretty convinced that they're werewolves shortly after Jimmy first begins researching the symptoms and Ellie thinks he's being ridiculous. The transition is not convincing; there seems to be exposition missing. There are a number of such choppy, non sequitur moments. The film doesn't flow very well.

The most obvious material to be cut--during and after "attack" scenes--surely hurt the film, as well, although part of the problem with these scenes may have been Craven's fault. Like too many recent films, attack scenes are shot blurry, cut way too fast, and they're often too dark. Part of the idea might have been to make the CGI less obvious, but I'd rather have obvious CGI than incoherent scenes.

One final flaw was that the werewolf material in the film wasn't handled very clearly. Whether this was yet another editing problem or a script problem from screenwriter Kevin Williamson is difficult to say, but the film's werewolf "rules" are never well explained. For example, it's never quite clear why the werewolf would want to attack people again and why they wouldn't just be full-fledged lycanthropes the first time. Although this makes a bit more sense later in the film, werewolf "rules" are still implied that are never explained but needed to be.

But there are a number of positive aspects to the film. Craven shows that he hasn't lost his love of postmodernist reference and theatrical "wall breaking", the performances are good, occasionally the film is suspenseful (the car crash near the beginning is especially well done), and Williamson's story overall is intriguing in that Cursed is really a somewhat traditional thriller in which characters just happen to be werewolves.

Craven opens the film at a carnival, which is obviously theatrical, and quickly presents a psychic "performer" who happens to be a "real psychic", taking her job seriously rather than just providing entertainment. The parallel is to Craven as a horror filmmaker, which may often be seen as just an entertainer instead of a "real illusionist" approaching the job with serious intentions. Then he quickly takes us to a club, Tinsel, that's a veritable Madame Tussauds with a Hollywood theme, complete with full, detailed sets. There are numerous horror references in the club, including to Craven's own work, such as A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). This emphasizes the artificiality of cinema in a way similar to the "real film in a film" conceit of Craven's New Nightmare (1994). To push this theatrical wall breaking further, many sets, such as the interior of Jimmy and Ellie's house, are lit and shot so as to emphasize their artificiality--almost as if the film were being made on the displays at the Tinsel club. Craven also has a number of characters working in the entertainment industry, and like New Nightmare, has celebrities playing themselves. As a humorous jab at filmic self-reference and comments about his use of the same in previous films, especially Scream (1996), a pivotal scene near Cursed's false climax is shot in a very artificial-looking hall of mirrors (and this is also literally reminiscent of a number of other horror films, including The Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), Dr. Giggles (1992) and The Haunting (1999)).

The fact that Williamson has really constructed a thriller, and it just appears to be a werewolf film, is a kind of late-film twist that provides another level of "wall breaking". It's a clever idea that has some similarities to Williamson's I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) script, which continually flirted with the gray area between thrillers and slasher flicks. Williamson also spends time exploring the dramatic consequences of Ellie and Jimmy's newfound power.

However, given the final result, at least with the cut I watched, these more intellectual touches from Craven and Williamson may have ended up being too hip for the film, which Dimension apparently wanted to sell as a more by-the-numbers horror flick geared to pull in younger teens (and a surprising amount of pre-teens in the showing I attended). I'm not usually one to complain about the existence of PG-13 (or even tamer) horror, as I do not think that gore, language, etc. are necessary for a good film. It's not that I dislike gore, but I love the first three Universal Frankenstein films, say, as much as I love the Evil Dead series, Romero's zombie films, or any of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films (and certainly more than I like, say, Andreas Schnaas' work, which has the gore but not much else). But when the result of studios pushing for PG-13 results in such an apparent botch-job, I have to add my voice to the protesters.
118 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wes Craven gets "Cursed"
dibot125 February 2005
I went into "Cursed" with high expectations, I'll admit. But how could I resist the re-teaming of the "Scream" team, director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson? I should have known after re-shoots and delay upon delay of the film's release (It should have come out last November), that this would not be another masterpiece in the works. Though I tried to keep my hopes up, the results of this recombination are mixed at best.

Christina Ricci ("Monster") and Jessie Eisenberg ("Roger Dodger") star as siblings who are attacked by a mysterious animal in the Hollywood hills while trying to pull a woman from a wrecked car. Both are wounded by this animal and as the days go by, they begin to change. Eisenberg is most convincing as the younger brother who researches the animal that attacked them. He believes they were infected by a werewolf. The rest of the film chronicles their changes and quest to find the beast who infected them.

Aside from Ricci and Eisenberg the cast mainly consists of a smorgasbord of television actors, mostly from the WB. And I'm not sure that I'd call what they were doing acting. It seemed they mostly showed up and had a good time. Which can work, as long as the audience is enjoying it, too. However, I found myself groaning at much of the dialogue and wincing during emotional moments.

The film is slow to take off but does pick up the pace in the middle before falling off again towards the end. The computer graphics already look dated, and the werewolf makeup is most definitely sub par. A word to filmmakers everywhere, if you can't make a werewolf transformation look convincing, then don't show it at all. There's a lot to be said for implication.

Though there are several scenes where something pops up in the frame to make you jump in your seat, nothing haunts you as you leave the theater. There's no fear of bad dreams here.

Overall, the geniuses behind one of the classic fright films of the 90s (and possibly of all time) did not bring their best work into this decade. I hate to say it, but Wes Craven seems to be suffering from his own curse - the loss of fright.

For a smarter, more imaginative take on the werewolf theme, check out "Ginger Snaps" or "Dog Soldiers."
74 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than one might expect.
Ky-D23 June 2005
'Cursed' has already earned a place in Hollywood history for it's infamous production problems. Massive re-shoots (rumored up to 75% of the movie), recasts, rewrites, over a year of delays, basically any and everything that could possibly go wrong. Pass this off as credit to Craven as a director and Williamson as a writer that they were still able to pull off something of a fun movie.

A pair of siblings are bitten by a werewolf following a car crash that leaves one woman dead. Amidst their sudden development of new powers they must contend with the traumas the curse brings. Discovering that the only way to lift the curse is to kill the cause of the infection, they must now find out whom the beast is.

On the evolutionary ladder of Craven's films, this is above 'Shocker', below 'Scream', right about on par with 'People Under the Strairs'. Meaning there is some good, gory fun to be had if one doesn't take it too seriously. Those in the market for some blood and laughs ought to have a fine time.

What hurts so much about this, and is the source of much of the films bashing, is that it could have been so much better. While the talents involved worked hard to salvage as much as they could it still feels like an overall missed opportunity. The scares are OK, but not great; the jokes are OK, but not great; the pacing is OK, but not great; noticing a pattern? Technically it's a mixed bag. Great, energetic camera work with some lively stunt work adds a lot of energy, but on/off pacing slows things down again. Characters and scenarios are OK, but dialogue lacks pizazz. And while there is some good gore being tossed around, the creature itself never looks all that believable (neither in CG or costume incarnations).

In the end this is not the ultimate failure fan-boys have tried to pass it off as; time will be kind to Craven's unfortunate child and horror fans should too.

7/10 (Note: review based on R-rated version of film)
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Cool Little Werewolf Movie.
BraveHawk23 March 2005
Every once in a while, Wes Craven comes out with something new that I enjoy. Scream was the last noteworthy movie I can recall (and that I have seen) that was good. While Cursed was no Scream, it was a pretty good little werewolf movie, despite what Wes, himself, thinks of it. I think it would have been better if it was left uncut, but I still thought pretty highly of it, even if most do not agree.

Cursed is about a brother and sister named Ellie and Jimmy (Christina Ricci & Jesse Eisenberg) who get into a car accident and end up getting bit by something while helping the other motorist. Neither knows what it was, but Jimmy saw the creature directly and describes it as a wolf-like creature. Slowly, they begin to feel the changes one makes when turning into a werewolf and they have to solve the mystery of how to stop it.

I do have to say that Christina Ricci was absolutely stunning. I love the way she looks with her hair down. Also, Kristina Anapau as Brooke was also quite a knock-out.

The plot does take a few turns, some of them not so good but overall, not too bad. The good far outweighed the bad with me. The werewolf itself was awesome, with the exception of the one time you get to watch the transformation. It was OK but could have used a little flair or a bit of violence in the change- maybe something along the lines of Van Helsing's vampire change would have suited me better. Also, the little gay sub-plot thrown in for no apparent reason could have been left out. I realize this sounds weird to say about a horror film, but coming out of the closet in the way shown in this movie was completely unrealistic. Even more so than the fact they were running from werewolves.

I was also a bit disappointed with the ending but I was truly entertained throughout the film and can recommend it with an 8 out of 10.
51 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked this movie!
OXRandyyXO26 February 2005
I'm sad that so many people have not liked this movie! It was a total parody of every werewolf movie you have ever seen. I thought it was hilarious and I think that's what Kevin Williamson wanted (but who am I to speculate?). I thought of the movie in the same way I thought of Scream... a lot of people saw Scream as just a cheesy horror movie, but those that are huge horror fans and have a sense of humor, got the joke.

Lighten up.

My advice to those who haven't seen the movie: Don't take it so seriously! It's supposed to be fun. The obvious jokes aren't the only ones you are supposed to laugh at ;)
86 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seen Better, Seen Worse
Gafke25 February 2005
Ellie and kid brother Jimmy are driving home late one night through the Hollywood Hills when something huge and monstrous crosses their path. One nasty road accident later, the annoyingly whiny female passenger of the car they just hit is dragged off into the woods by a mostly unseen creature which rips the woman to shreds - and good riddance. Ellie and Jimmy do not escape unscathed themselves. The creature has mildly injured them both and soon, brother and sister are experiencing heightened senses and suffering the Mark of the Beast on the palm of their hands. For Jimmy, it's a blessing in disguise as he returns to high school and battles the school bully. For Ellie, it's the first step on the path towards discovering who the real monster is, and the suspects are numerous. Will she and her brother discover the identity of the beast in time to save themselves from the curse? Or will they too become full fledged werewolves at the next full moon?

"Cursed" doesn't take itself very seriously as a horror film, or as a comedy. It seems to be trying to decide which it wanted to be, and hadn't made up its mind in time for the closing credits. There are a few genuine laughs to be found throughout, and some nifty references to the bygone days of Universal Creature Features, but for the most part this is a silly, airbrushed effort, filled with Beautiful People acting stupidly. I should have considered myself warned when I saw Scott Baio's name in the opening credits. The werewolf itself has a few good scenes, but I was kind of disappointed to see the legendary Rick Baker's name in the credits, and then find myself face to face with a CGI beast later on. And what was Christina Ricci doing in this? Did she lose a bet with Wes Craven or something?

This film might have fared better in the 80s, but it seems somewhat lifeless and unimaginative these days. I'm just glad I had a free pass, otherwise I would be feeling profoundly ripped off right about now.
55 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember, Werewolf movies are almost never scary...
mfuson7726 February 2005
I've been waiting to see Cursed for a very long time, probably more than a year, since the first time I heard about it. I expected a great movie, with Wes Craven at the helm why wouldn't it be a great film? I went to the opening day matinée showing and this is how I sum it up.

Cursed fails to capture the audience's attention for a few main reasons. First and foremost, it follows too much standardized formula and fails to think outside the box. Watching Cursed, you can almost predict exactly what will happen and when it will happen. The script could have been improved with a few minor changes which would have changed the entire direction of the film. Instead you have an A-Typical werewolf film with the protagonists fighting to save them selves from the "curse". Sorry folks, this story has been done in other horror films more times than I can count, and not just in werewolf films!

One element I didn't care for was when the brother, Jimmy, suggests being a werewolf could be cool. This is exactly where the story should have gone from that point onwards. But as quickly as he says being a werewolf could be cool, he falls back to the standard "gotta kill the head werewolf and end this curse" attitude. The movie would have been better if Jimmy had welcomed his "curse". Had that one change in plot occurred the story could have gone off in several darker and more interesting plot lines.

I can't fault the CGI effects for a change. I am strong opponent of CGI technology as the effects usually look awful.In Cursed the effects are better than normal, although they are still no where near the traditional "An American Werewolf in London" make-up and prosthetics quality.

I did enjoy the humor in the film. Cursed does offer several very funny moments and a few corny ones too. Without the humor the movie would have been an utter waste of time. The humor helps detract from the poor plot line which you can tell was attempting to be clever like Scream, but failing miserably.

I wonder if Wes Craven was even on the set when this film was made. It seemed to lack of the trademark qualities of a Craven film. Whatever the case may be it is obvious he did not do his research in what makes a great werewolf film.

Werewolf films, to be effective, must have several good transformation scenes, graphic mauling and mutilations and an innocent protagonist who is seduced by the curse. Cursed really has none of these qualities.

Overall I did enjoy the film, but I also expected the movie would fail to "wow me", which it did. It seems to me that the problems with Cursed were mostly script and plot related. Don't expect to be scared, but try to have a little fun with what it is.

Remember, werewolf movies are almost never scary...especially if they throw in a happy ending!
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable Collection of Clichés
claudio_carvalho14 January 2006
After five years without directing a film, I bought this DVD expecting a good return of Wes Craven to the genre horror teen movie. I like his last works in this genre ("Scream 1, 2 & 3") and also the drama "Music of the Heart", and Christina Ricci is very cool. Unfortunately, "Cursed" is a forgettable and predictable collection of clichés. It is amazing how the viewer can predict the next scene! Further, it is amazing how easy is to replace a fancy car in Hollywood: Ellie wrecks her car in the middle of the night, and on the next day she has a brandy new car. Jake breaks the window of the driver of the new car, and on the next sequence we see Ellie driving in a rainy night in high speed without disheveling her hair. Ellie's brother Jimmy unsuccessfully tries to be funny. If you want to see a great werewolf movie, there are many excellent options, but you can forget "Cursed", which is only recommended for killing time. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Amaldiçoado" ("Cursed")
35 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Semi-scary, enjoyable, yet somewhat disappointing movie
Matt_Crussial22 February 2005
My summary title is random but that is how I felt the movie was. I do not think it was as bad as the other reviewer posted here. The first two-thirds of the movie was great. The movie from the opening on the Santa Monica pier to the car crash until the club opening was classic Wes Craven. There were moments where I jumped out of my seat and brought back memories of the high-tension scenes in Scream. There are funny scene and one-liners as well. The last 1/3 of the movie was bad. It is obvious that they had all the problems that they did. I felt that there was no smooth flow and some scenes did not make sense. If you expect a quality movie like Scream, you will be disappointed. If you want a campy movie that is all-in-all entertaining, then definitely go. I jumped in my seat and laughed at times. I would say that it was worth the ticket price, but I won't own the DVD.

BTW, I saw the R-rated version. I don't think what they cut from the version I saw to make it PG-13 will make the movie any scarier; there are some gratuitous blood/gore shots that will probably be cut out. This will obviously make the movie more attractable when they release it on DVD as uncut.
46 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
' hey there Lil' Red Riding Hood, you sure are lookin' good...'
Nightman8511 January 2006
Craven's first horror movie since the Scream films is this fun little werewolf flick that's not as bad as some critics would have you think.

During a car wreck, brother and sister are bitten by a monstrous wolf and sure enough there's a full moon on the rise!

While granted Cursed doesn't live up to some of the other films of Wes Craven (Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, the recent Red Eye) it's an enjoyable horror romp. Screen writer Kevin Williamson, as usual, delivers a story that's both effectively thrilling and funny. Craven adds his nice directorial touches, giving the film some slick style. Rick Baker provides some outstanding gore FX (be sure to see this film unrated!). There's also a terrific rock soundtrack.

The cast is pretty good, but it's really the lesser known stars Jesse Eisenberg and Judy Greer who turn in the best performances.

It's not American Werewolf in London (1981), but Cursed is a good watch and one of the better werewolf movies in quite some time.

*** out of ****
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all, if you ask me
Mechanical_Luby18 March 2005
OK, I've like read all of the bad reviews some of you gave to this movie and I really think that some of you people took this movie too seriously. I mean come on! Some of you actually walked in that theater and expected a blockbuster film to blow you out of your shoes! This was just a humorous, somewhat scary teen movie! I really liked the beginning b/c it really does get down to the point of things, unlike some other so called horror movies out there! The werewolves could have used a bit more tweaking but overall, this movie was fun! Christina Ricci was great, also. I really liked how she gained confidence after she had been "cursed"!. Everybody else was great, too. PEACE!
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cursed? Should be retitled "Sucked."
TheMovieMark25 February 2005
Cursed, huh? Well, that appropriately describes what a lot of moviegoers did when the final credits started to roll. This has to be one of the most irrelevant, insignificant movies to come along in quite a while. There's not a single thing I can recommend about this movie. Not a single thing. It offers absolutely nothing new or original to the werewolf genre. Why even bother? The acting is bad, the special effects are unimpressive, I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters or their relationships... seriously, is there a less appealing screen couple than Pacey from Dawson's Creek and Christina Ricci? Wooo, look at Pacey! He's got a neatly trimmed beard! He's all grown up now! Whatever. All he did was spit out some cheesy lines about how Ricci, who he'd been dating for all of two months, was the one for him and he really wanted to make it work and BLAH BLAH BLAH! WHO CARES?!?!?!?! I just wanted to punch the guy in the face. Repeatedly. Until my knuckles bled. I couldn't care less if I never see this guy in another movie ever again.

If you're gonna have characters that I couldn't be less interested in, then please try to have a somewhat interesting story with a few good scares. Oh, you couldn't do that for this movie? Well, believe me, I could tell. The scariest thing about Cursed is Christina Ricci's bulbous forehead. Were those CGI werewolves actually supposed to be scary? Heck, if that's what werewolves were really like, then I'd have pretty good chances if I had to go up against one.

And was it completely impossible to have a semblance of a story? You call those plot twists? Folks, no one over the age of 5 will be surprised at who the main werewolf is. The story is so non-existent that it gives me a headache trying to figure out why. Did Kevin Williamson even try when writing this script? It's as if he asked himself, "How can I make this as clichéd as possible," and then ran with it. In case you forgot, Craven and Williamson teamed up on Scream, which was a very original, clever, and entertaining movie. What in the world has happened since then? How were these two movies written by the same guy? If nothing else, you've gotta at least love the irony in the fact that Cursed is exactly the kind of teen horror movie that Scream poked fun at.

It's pretty sad that Corey Feldman couldn't even keep his name attached to this film (his scenes were cut), but it's even sadder that this movie would've actually been better by having Feldman in it. Ouch. I think that's the true hallmark of a movie's failure. If someone tells you, "Man, you should've kept Feldman's scenes in there, it would've helped," then you need to do some serious soul searching before attempting another movie.

Cursed tries to take a Scream approach and not take itself too seriously, but man, that doesn't mean it had to be a complete joke. I admit that I laughed a few times, but most of the time I was laughing it was because what I was witnessing was just so stupid. Let me ask you something - if you're in the bathroom, and you friend is in the stall making weird noises, and you think he or she is sick, do you go OPEN THE STALL DOOR???? NO! Nobody does that! You may ask if the person's all right, but you don't put your ear to the stall and then open it unless you're just a freak. Sigh.

The most genuinely funny thing in the movie is Scott Baio's cameo as Scott Baio. The running joke is that he's supposed to be the third guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn behind Ashton Kutcher and Carrot Top. But even this is pretty sad since Kilborn's been gone from the show for a few months now. Way to stay on top of things, guys! Looks like somebody has his finger directly on the pulse of today's pop culture! I can't think of a single person to recommend this to. Not even the biggest werewolf movie fan. But I can recommend they change the tagline. Here's my suggestion: A Werewolf Movie That Really Bites. There, I just wrote something more clever than anything found in the script of Cursed, and I wasn't given a $40 million budget to do it.

THE GIST You've been warned, so if you pay money to see Cursed then you've got nobody to blame but yourself. I tried to tell you. Cursed is nothing but a bad made-for-the-WB movie, and I can say without flinching or smirking that Michael Paré's Bad Moon is a better werewolf movie than this toilet log. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, then there's nothing else I can say.

Rating: 2 (out 5)
56 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An October Favorite...
stephenfrakes-14 October 2012
I honestly don't understand the bad ratings that some people have given this movie. It is a favorite of mine and one that I watch every October when I am watching my Halloween collection of movies. The well-known actors (Christina Ricci, Joshua Jackson, Milo Ventimiglia, Jesse Eisenberg, Portia de Rossi, Judy Greer, Michael Rosenbaum) are great, not to mention the dog Zipper (Solar). The movie is certainly not the same-O, same-O werewolf movie. And it is kind of fun having it take place in the Hollywood Scene with some actors and singers playing themselves. I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good movie for the Halloween Season. My only problem with it is that they never made a sequel.
Howl for me
ctomvelu120 December 2009
With CURSED, Wes Craven has made an exciting if not terribly scary werewolf movie, and pays plenty of tribute to such past horror flicks as THE WOLFMAN, A WEREWOLF IN London, THE HOWLING, SILVER BULLET, TEEN WOLF and even FRIGHT NIGHT. A young woman (Ricci) and her kid brother (Eisenberg) fall afoul of a werewolf and must do something to keep themselves from becoming werewolves themselves. The flick adds a touch of mystery as the siblings attempt to determine who among their acquaintances is the true villain. The primary werewolf is impressive looking, but appears to be almost 100 percent a CGI creation, which harms the overall effect. The delightful Judy Greer plays a p.r. flunky, and steals every scene she is in. Hardly Craven's best, but certainly entertaining.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grisly horror and gore in this formulaic terror film by the duo Craven and Williamson
ma-cortes22 November 2006
From creators ¨Scream¨,bring us this ¨Cursed¨,a creepy terror movie that have you breathless.After an appointment with her boyfriend(Joshua Jackson), a publicist(Christina Ricci) along with his brother,a geeky high school student named Jimmy(Jesse Eisenberg) are going at home.But they have an accident against the occupant(Shannon Elizabeth) another car in Mulholland road,Hollywood,Los Angeles.An strange animal spontaneously bites to the driver and the brothers. Later they are developing an extraordinary force and aware themselves which there happened more than an accident and they have a terrible curse who cannot to control.Then they undergo a dental and hirsute transformation at the night and going on a murderous rampage every time the moon is full.They increased strength,heightened senses and unnatural sexual allure and they sprout hair and pointy ears,their hands have a five-pointed star like a pentagram,but it's the mark of the beast and pretty freaks occur them.They've been infected,there're cursed ,they've got to sever the line of the beast.They bear the marking of the beast,the only way to break the curse is to find the werewolf which attack them.The problem is how to kill the werewolf , no with silver but actually have to separate the head from the heart ,silver just hurts a lot.

The motion picture displays action,suspense,terror with fun touches and is quite amusing.It's a crossover with a little of the classic version Lon Chaney Werewolf,John Landis' Werewolf in London and Michael J Fox's Teenwolf and wrapped in a postmodern style.It's some different but with clear reference to previous films.The transformation of man into werewolf is complex and is made by computer generator FX,and a device under remote control ,thus the radio-control moves the eyes,ears,nose, lips werewolf ,besides an actor into the suit brings the life and of course a magnificent make up by the master Rick Baker and Greg Nicotero. The story contains various versions Nc 13 parents guide and Nc 17 with more or less gore.The famous screenwriter Kevin Williamson provided a well-knit plot with mystery and horror,giving full rein to Wes Craven natural talent for the terror genre.The film is dedicated to the producer movie Dan Arredondo.It's a standard terror and sometimes graphically gory and turns out to be an average attempt to cash in the werewolf sub-genre.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Wes Craven/Kevin Williamson horror rubbish!
Coventry30 April 2005
"Cursed" is another new and horrible excuse for a horror movie from the talentless pen of Kevin Williamson. He proves (again) that he's the worst thing that could happen to the horror-industry, while director Wes Craven enlarges his list of embarrassingly bad movies (that actually started right after his 1977 film "The Hills have Eyes"). Craven and Williamson's previous collaboration "Scream" actually is a masterpiece compared with this piece of garbage that messes with the – once marvelous – myth of werewolves. Set in Hollywood and revolving on characters you couldn't feel less connected with, this movie feels like another dreadful episode of "Dawson's Creek", only with a wolf instead of James Vander Beek. All the rest is the same: high school popularity contests, glamour-girls battling over the same stud and we even have the classic case of siblings looking after each other due to their parents' sudden death! Sigh...I'm a great fan of classic atmospheric werewolf-tales and witnessing how these legendary creatures are abused here to serve for childish purposes makes me furious. Werewolves don't care for eliminating sexual competition! They don't care about how cute boys look!! There's absolutely no tension in "Cursed", the script is predictable and the attempts to scare the audience are lame. The gore-factor is weak and the werewolf-transformation sequences are downright pitiful. Movies like "An American werewolf in London" and "the Howling" are almost 25 years older but the special effects team of "Cursed" surely could have learned something from them on how making a transformation creepy instead of laughable. Christina Ricci looks yummy in her heroine-role but her boring performance definitely can't make this turkey any more appealing. My humble opinion is that you avoid watching "Cursed" like you would avoid getting Syphillys! There are good recent movies handling about werewolves, like "Dog Soilders" or the "Ginger Snaps"-trilogy, that you can watch instead. Those are good movies, mainly because nor Wes Craven, nor Kevin Williamson had anything to do with them.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under Rated... Cursed (2005)
robfollower29 October 2020
Watching Christina Ricci perform on celluloid is my guilty pleasure........

Horror legend Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson (Scream franchise) bring us this werewolf flick starring the beautiful and talented Christina Ricci (Buffalo 66).

Ellie is a woman who works as a page and assistant for a local talk show. One fateful night, she picks up her bullied younger brother Jimmy and two find themselves in a car accident after avoiding both an animal and slamming into another car. When the siblings attempt to help the other driver, all three are attacked by a monster. Ellie and Jimmy are both slashed by the animal while the other driver is viciously murdered. Soon enough, the siblings realize they are slowly undergoing changes.

The late horror master Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson had become a dream team with their hit collaboration franchise Scream. In 2005, the two have collaborated on their entry into the werewolf genre. What's great in the film are not so much the werewolf effects, but it's the slow tense emotions of lead characters Ellie and Jimmy. They are slowly transitioning and show the signs of eventually becoming werewolf siblings.

Lovely Christina Ricci and Jesse Eisenberg are really quite wonderful in their roles of the siblings afflicted by the lycanthropy. In the case of the beautiful and talented Ricci's Ellie, she gets extremely nervous and becomes more fearful while on the other side of the spectrum, Eisenberg's Jimmy used his powers in a Teen Wolf-style of confidence. The play wonderfully off each other.

What makes the film even more interesting is the film allows everyone to play the guessing game of who is the werewolf responsible. "Cursed" has some of the humor you typically find in a Craven film. Cameos/short appearances abound, including Scott Baio and Craig Kilborn playing themselves, as well as Shannon Elizabeth( Night of the Demons) and Portia de Rossi ( Scream 2).

The werewolf scenes are campy. When a wild, evil, snarling werewolf stops to give people the finger, you know this beast is just not wild enough. But there is some awesomeness in the Gore meter if you watch the DVD Unrated version. The original R rated version has been cut in order to receive a PG-13. As the theatrical release stands, chunks of the film appear to be missing. This simply hamstrings the awesomeness of this particular film. The Gore is excellent, visceral and creative. But to see "Cursed" as Wes Craven truly intended. You must buy the DVD Unrated Edition it contains an additional two minutes of gore-fest footage. A Hard (R) is a better fit. Being a desperate werewolf fan, I was just happy to see the big guy back on the big screen. I'm easy to please.

I am a huge Christina Ricci fan I absolutely think she is a tremendous talent and she does not disappoint in this film she is brilliant as usual. Cursed is a must watch for Christina Ricci fans, Wes Craven aficionados & desperate werewolf lovers who can not get enough lycanthrope cinema. This film is a blast. 8/10

The original R rated version has been cut in order to receive a PG-13. A gorier, unrated version was released on DVD featuring scenes with violence more graphic than what was seen in the theatrical PG-13 version of the film. The differences are as follows (includes Spoilers): In the PG-13 version, Shannon Elizabeth's character Becky is simply dragged away by the wolf at the end of the opening sequence. In the unrated version, Becky is torn in half and her bloodied upper-torso is tossed back at Jimmy and Ellie. In the PG-13 version, during Ellie's nightmare, she merely bites Joshua Jackson's character Jake in the neck. The scene then cuts to a quick montage of bizarre images before Ellie wakes up. In the unrated version, after Ellie bites into Jake, she's shown ripping a large chunk of his neck off and then a torrent of blood shoots out of his wound. In the PG-13 version, after Joanie knocks out Jake she starts looking for Ellie and Jimmy. In the unrated version, she first stops by Kyle's body, digs into the large gash in his stomach with her hands, pulls them out and then licks his blood off her fingers before proceeding to look for Ellie and Jimmy. In the unrated version, Joanie (in wolf form) is killed when she is shot in the head and her brains slowly ooze onto the floor. In the PG-13 version, the coroner discovers that Joanie's corpse has changed back into human form when her nude body is shown laying on the floor. In the unrated version, a sheet over her body is pulled back and only her face, complete with a bullet hole in her forehead, is shown. In the PG-13 version, Jake's death by decapitation occurs off-camera. In the unrated version, Ellie is actually shown stabbing him in the neck with the shovel a couple of times before finally cutting his head off. DVD Unrated Edition contains additional two minutes of footage.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tragic victim to unforgiving, unfair times for horror films
StevePulaski7 September 2015
Wes Craven's Cursed is a film that would've been embraced had it been made in the mid-1990's, but because of its inception in the early-to-mid 2000's, it became, in itself, a cursed production. In the 1990's, horror films were a dime-a-dozen, and as there were incredible amounts of slasher films falling into theaters in the 1980's, the direct-to-video market became saturated with a plethora of low-budget features. Killer snowmen, killer gingerbread man, parodies, stalker films, and werewolf horror films lined video store shelves and studios were taking just about any asinine idea for a horror film and running with it. In the early aughts, however, this direct-to-video output slowed and horror became a lessened commodity. There were enough franchises to continue, crossover, and further develop and those are the franchises (Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, Leprechaun, Child's Play) that got the theatrical/mainstream treatment.

Almost any horror film released in the mid-to-late 2000's was forced to be cut from an R-rated film to a PG-13 rating, in an act of optimism by studios to snag the high school crowd on a Friday night. Such films like Prom Night and When a Stranger Calls, remakes of gritty slashers in the 1970's and 1980's, were watered down significantly to bear a PG-13 rating. Wes Craven, despite giving the horror industry one of its most successful franchises and characters the genre has ever seen, on top of a plethora of other films, found Cursed, one of his rarer, more contemporary productions, victim to reshoots, casting difficulties, a slew of production drama, and script-rewrites. What was going to be a more evident revitalization of Scream and teen horror turned into a bargain bin werewolf film that is narratively and visually crippled by a PG-13 rating.

And, despite all the problems this film faced and the messiness of the end product, Cursed is perplexingly fun and passable as a piece of teen horror. We focus on brother and sister Ellie and Jimmy Myers (Christina Ricci and Jesse Eisenberg), who experience a series of strange events after hitting a mysterious animal and crashing their vehicle into another car on a highway late at night. After the victim in the other vehicle gets mauled by the mysterious, wolf-like animal, Ellie and Jimmy find themselves experiencing a wide variety of bizarre behaviors, such as increased sense of smell, Pentagram-shaped sores on their hands, appetites for blood, allergies to silver, and others, leading them, particularly Jimmy, to believe they are turning into werewolves. With other colleagues of them exhibiting strange behaviors in addition, it could also be a sweeping epidemic that is slowly taking over the local teenage population.

Cursed is less a straight-forward film and more a series of quirky vignettes in which increasingly strange things happen to certain characters. In one scene, Ellie has a complete meltdown in the bathroom of her workplace, resulting in red eyes, bloody hands resembling claws, and a distinct satisfaction at the sight, smell, and taste of blood. Jimmy, on the other hand, is bullied by the homophobic wrestling jock Bo (Milo Ventimiglia), who consistently pesters him to join the team so he can face off and ostensibly defeat Jimmy, further humiliating him. It isn't until Jimmy gains these unprecedented abilities that he puts Bo and his band of jocks to shame.

Cursed often seems like Scream without the genre-parody aspect and the humor, and screenwriter Kevin Williamson, who worked on much of the Scream franchise with Craven, seems to be trying to give teens that same sense of ribald fun that he did with the original films. To Williamson's credit, the film works because it keeps the viewer interested at the transformation the two leads are constantly undergoing and the characters on display are developed a bit more than your run-of-the-mill film. The error here is that the film is handcuffed in asserting itself in terms of its scares and its display of horror because the violence is so muted. Even the dialog - which I'm told is modified in addition to some of the events of the film in the much-discussed "unrated cut" as opposed to the PG-13/theatrical cut I watched - seems modified greatly at the last minute, as if the characters are walking on eggshells and picking and choosing their words carefully. With that, it's also interesting to note how, despite Dimension Films and Miramax keeping this film as muted and mild as possible, they let the recurring gay subtext and theme in the film carry through much of the central storyarch.

At the end of it all, as messy as the final product can be and as underwhelming as it occasionally feels, Cursed is one of the more enjoyable horror films of this time, squeezing itself next to When a Stranger Calls in the category of satisfying PG-13 horror films. Craven doesn't find his trademark genre-inventiveness, mainly because no matter how much he pretends, he's still spelunking through charted territory, but you get the sense that having Williamson hold the pen again makes this project feel like a spin off of Scream for him. The fun and thrills are present despite the occasional shortcomings, which is enough for me to shrug and simply wink at you, dear reader, when it comes to recommending this film.

Starring: Christina Ricci, Jesse Eisenberg, Joshua Jackson, Judy Greer, and Milo Ventimiglia. Directed by: Wes Craven.
Tongue in Cheek Horror Movie
Jalea16 April 2006
**possible spoilers**

I saw this movie on cable, it's not bad. I thought it was kind of quirky. When I read the trivia and saw the changes that they went through to make the movie, it made sense. The plot is underdeveloped and seems to be a foil for the horror scenes. The character development was scanty and the relationships were sketchy. But somehow you manage to feel for Ellie and her brother Jimmy who was having a "pathetic" high school experience. Becoming a werewolf (temporarily) got him cool points (and the girl). The funniest parts are the scenes between Ellie (Ricci) and Joanie (Greer)who sees Ellie as a rival for Jake the werewolf (Jackson).

This movie maintains a quirky tone to the end. The special effects overall are okay with the exception of the metamorphosis of Joanie into a werewolf, which was a bit cartoonish. The creature makeup was good though. Although this is not one of Wes's best movies, it was entertaining.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fresh, steaming pile of stinky, worthless crap.
KingM212 September 2005
This is the worst film I've seen in recent memory (and that includes Zombie Lake!). It's annoying, noisy, and feels like the whole production was rushed and slopped together. It's simply just a fresh, steaming pile of stinky, worthless crap. Add to that poor CGI, absurdity and predictability in your face all over the place, embarrassing acting, Williamson's forced and clichéd "political" views, and a total lack of depth, and you have the worst horror film of the year already. It wasn't even fun to laugh at. Wes Craven, this was your darkest hour…hang your head in shame. While we're at it, you too, Ricci.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Cursed" or is it "Charmed"...?? Yikes
Hllywdbrit27 February 2005
Perhaps the genre of this movie should be reconsidered...because "horror" and "thriller" are the last two words I would use to describe Cursed. Perhaps, "Comedy" and "Spoof" might fit this flick a little better. Luckily I didn't go into this movie with too high of hopes to be on the edge of my seat, because this film fails miserably to even slightly frighten. I found myself and my friend, whom I practically had to beg to come with me, laughing rather hysterically at the movie- sometimes because it was just so cheesy and pathetic that we couldn't help but crack up...and sometimes because it was actually funny. Certain points in the film reminded me of some of the chick-flick favorites... She's All That was the one I kept thinking of, I'm not exactly sure why. There were several points where the story line suddenly became so extreme that we were almost positive it had to be a dream sequence...or at least not what it seemed...but oh no...bizarre as it was getting, it was still real... The graphics were lame, the "mutilization" of people was obviously edited in extreme to make the PG-13 rating...and well... even as the credits were rolling I was still giggling. It honestly reminded of the TV show "Charmed"... cheesy script... bad acting... humorous graphics... and off-the-wall explanations and a strange acceptance for all the bizarre happenings. I don't really like that show...

All in all... I didn't leave the movie wanting my money back because in all truth, I was entertained. It seems to me like the movie tried to succeed with the teen/horror category such as I Know What You Did Last Summer... but sadly to say it fell very short. If you go into the movie looking for a few cheap laughs, you might actually enjoy Cursed. But don't take a date hoping for an excuse to grab onto them... haha... I doubt my three year old brother would even be phased by the scare-tactics in this film!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful horror flick filled with misdirection, bad actors and immature writing.
Brent_P26 February 2005
Trust me, movies don't get much worse than this one. Granted my expectations were pretty low before stepped into the theater, but I didn't expect this movie to be THIS bad.

First off, I didn't know which direction Wes Craven wanted to go. Did he want a certified, serious horror piece like the original "Nightmare on Elm St." or a spoofy/slasher flick like "Scream." What you get is something in between and a movie with no direction what so ever. Let me start off with the acting. The acting in this movie was so bad it I wondered if Craven even bothered to yelled out the word "cut" now and then as the actors muddled through B movie scripted cue cards. But then again, you won't see too many Oscar capturing moments when you're faced with riveting thespians like Shannon Elizabeth, Mya, Potia De Rosi, the dude who plays Lex Luther on Smallville and Scott Baio. Yes, "Charles in Charge" himself graces us with his presence playing the character of himself, Scott Baio. The movie barely hangs together with a tissue thin plot and riddle with tons of plot holes and continuity problems. The special effects have got to be the worst I've seen in this day in age, mixing up some pretty bad CGI and robotic puppeting making the werewolves a just slight step down from the Wacko Jacko make-up job in his Thriller video. The movie contains a few bad jokes, some predictable jumpy parts and many scenes plucked straight out of the "1,001 Horror Cliché" guide book. The cherry on top of this complete mess is when the cops have the main werewolf cornered and the victims lure it out with some fat jokes, the werewolf jumps out and gives them the the middle finger. Absolutely brilliant.

This movie was neither scary, funny, enjoyable or even tolerable. I wouldn't recommend to anyone over the age of 20, because I felt that it really targets teens with cheap laughs and thrills. The only thing that really scared me is assumption that Craven will be compelled to make a sequel.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wes Craven strikes out
djvampira2 September 2005
This is one terrible movie. So terrible that I feel sorry for my boyfriend who rented it for us to watch.

Everything about this movie stinks. The dialog is horrible,the acting wooden,the CGI effects fake looking and the whole story premise tired and boring.How am I supposed to care about what happens to the characters when,by the end of the movie, I wish that they would just shut up and die already? This film did not to be made because everything it in has been done before by better directors. If you like werewolves see American Werewolf In London.....it's better.

This movie is a terrific example of what is wrong with horror movies these days.Directors stick a bunch of crappy young actors together,show some gore, and expect us to fall for their awful screenplays. I'll stick with watching Hammer Studio horror movies from now on......at least those were made well and had good actors.
Cursed
cultfilmfan26 February 2005
Cursed, is about a young woman named Ellie, who lives with her younger brother Jimmy. One night while on the road they get in a car accident and are soon after attacked by a creature which neither of them saw too well. Jimmy, thinks it was a werewolf and starts to read up on werewolves and soon notices that he is getting symptoms like the ones mentioned in the book. Ellie, doesn't believe them but then soon starts to feel these symptoms as well. In order to break the curse they have to kill the werewolf who started it all and kill them but they do not know who it is and in the end it won't be easy. Cursed, has good direction, a good script, good performances from everybody involved, good original music, good cinematography, good film editing and good make up and visual effects. The film started having problems and script issues when it was first being made and the film's release was delayed for over a year and many scenes had to be re-shot and re-written. Some actors even filmed scenes that were later cut by the film's director Wes Craven. The film was also cut in America from an R rating to receive a PG-13 but the uncut version is showing in Canada (and that is the version I'am reviewing). Cursed, has a lot going on in the film and focuses on several different things other than the werewolf issue and I thought the film balanced it out pretty well. Everybody does a good job and I found the film to be very entertaining. The film is not scary so that may be a disappointment for some die-hard horror and Wes Craven fans but it has enough going on and enough tricks up it's sleeve to entertain for the 100 minute running time and I was enjoying every one of those minutes.
Great movie!!
sww725 February 2005
Cursed was not as good as Craven's Scream movies, but on its own it did in fact function as a cleverly written, competently directed, well-acted popcorn movie. Not to mention Marco Beltrami's awesome musical score! I don't care what anyone says, Craven can still create scenes of real tension and dread (parking garage attack) and this director really has a knack for capturing the spirit of youth. The cast in this movie is really cool--Mya's not as bad as you would think, Joshua Jackson is really good, Christina Ricci surprises, and Jesse Eisenberg is really funny. The homosexual subplot was pretty amusing too. The weakest part of this movie were the effects. The climax was particularly intense and claustrophobic and kept me on the edge of my seat. A lot of reviews are coming down hard on this movie, but consider the facts: the creators' visions were stepped on, the movie's violence was softened to make more money, and reshoots were everywhere. Consider that the movie was still really good, funny, scary, intense, and interesting.

It might not be Craven's (or Williamson's) best work, but it is still better than most out there. It isn't the scariest movie in the world, either, but at this point they just needed to get the movie out. There is a terrific balance of tension, horror, humor, Hollywood commentary, and fun. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED.