The Pianist (2002)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 45 items
|MPAA||Rated R for violence and brief strong language|
Sex & Nudity
- Statue of nude woman. Man in bath tub is shown; nudity is limited to his bare chest.
Violence & Gore
- A young boy tries to crawl under a stone wall, he gets half way through, is grabbed from the other side and is beaten to death (we see him struggling and hear him crying out and then he goes limp).
- A man in a wheelchair is shoved off a balcony and we watch him crash onto the street below.
- A woman is shot in the head, men are forced to lie face down on the street and are shot one-by-one in the head (blood pours from the wounds).
- People run into the streets and are gunned down, we see them fall, see blood on their clothing and watch as a truck drives over their bodies (one man was still alive before he was run over).
- A man and a woman run through a street, the woman is shot and she falls to her knees.
- We see many dead bodies littering a desolate, rubble covered street (women and children with pools of blood around their heads), we see a few dead bodies lying near a train track, and we see dead bodies slumped against a blood splattered wall.
- A man is whipped on the back until he falls unconscious and dragged through the mud, and a line of men is whipped by a drunken officer.
- A soldier is shot as he and others march through a street; guns are fired from the street into a building and the people inside shoot back, fires break out inside the building and we see people jumping out of windows in flames and hear them hit the ground; others are brought out of the building, lined up and shot.
- Soldiers are shot by civilians, grenades are thrown into a building, and we see puddles of blood on the ground and the building burns.
- A tank takes aim and fires on a building where a man is hiding, he runs to the roof, he is shot at by men in a building in the distance, and as the man runs through the building again he passes a dead man in a stairwell who is burned and tattered.
- We see people being shot in a street and dead bodies strewn around, and a man who's pursued lies among them pretending to be dead, as soldiers march by.
- A flame thrower is used in a building where a man is hiding: he runs, jumps from a low window, hurts his leg, limps away and hides in an attic in a building.
- A man is shot at by soldiers and they hold him at gunpoint.
- A pile of dead bodies is set on fire (we see them engulfed in flames and then charred and smoldering).
- A young boy cries over his father's dead body, and we see a dead body on the street with an exposed bloody leg bone.
- People walk past a dead body on the street and two men push a cart full of dead bodies.
- A man is beaten with a stick, a man is beaten with a gun butt, a man is punched in the nose and he bleeds, and a man is punched in the face (he falls to the ground, gets up and is forced to walk in the gutter rather than on the sidewalk).
- We hear a gunshot and a woman screams.
- Soldiers barge into a building, punch a man, go into an apartment, we hear yelling and watch as a man is surrounded by the soldiers.
- Lines of wounded people walk through a street, followed by soldiers with guns.
- We see horse carcasses in a street after a bombing.
- People are collected, packed onto train cars, the doors are closed and locked and we hear them screaming.
- Soldiers are collected and locked in a pen and are berated by other men walking by.
- A man appears very ill and we hear that he has had no nourishment for some time.
- Soldiers march through rubble strewn streets in a few scenes, while civilians watch in fear.
- Bombs drop and explode outside a building, windows break, a roof falls in while people inside the building run and dodge the debris, and one man is hit in the head and we see some blood.
- We hear that people are being hunted down in the streets.
- As a train full of people pulls away, a man says, "...off they go to the melting pot," a man talks about people being hanged for helping Jews, and two men talk about extermination.
- There is more than one use of fuck and they are all said by the Russians.
- One use of "Fuck"
- 5 scatological terms, 3 mild obscenities, 4 religious exclamations.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- People smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Many deaths are seen, including children. The movie is very realistic with this showing blood around children's bodies and wounds.
- Much of the first part of the film is focused on the brutal living conditions faced by the Jewish people in Poland during WWII.
- There are many disturbing, violent scenes throughout, but the majority are in the first half or so.
- Scenes involving a child being beaten to death and an entire family executed in the street are especially intense.
- We watch the degradation of people who are forced to wear arm bands so as to be ethnically labeled, they are forced to leave their homes and belongings, families are separated and we hear that if they do not do as they are ordered they will be severely punished.
- There are several battle scenes and frequent explosions, and an intense scene involving flamethrowers.
- The overall tone of the film is dark and the violence is realistic and hard-hitting.
- Starvation is depicted throughout.
- Since the film takes place in the holocaust it is a very hard and sad film to see.
- A woman goes mad after having smothered her child while trying to keep it from crying (she moans and talks to herself).
- A woman begs for water for her unconscious child.
- An elderly man is forced to dance to keep warm, then others gathered around him are forced to dance with him, and one man with a cane falls to the ground.