Rat Race (2001) Poster

(2001)

A human horse race!
mermatt17 August 2001
AIRPLANE! crashes into MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Duck and cover. The antics are silly, but they come at you fast and furious -- a transvestile Lucy (in a whole bunch of Lucys), squirrels, cows, balloons, a dead dog, a heart transplant, car wrecks, bowel movements, a bullet train, and much much more.

It's slapstick and double take time in this zany comedy about human greed and just plain old stupidity. The story line gets pretty ragged at times but it is funny. And it even has a message.

If you want to lose yourself for two hours in a nutty comedy, this is a good bet.
56 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very funny and entertaining. You're bound to have a good time. *** (out of four)
Movie-1218 September 2001
RAT RACE / (2001) *** (out of four

"Rat Race" revives a genre Hollywood has neglected since the sixties: the big event, ensemble chase comedy. Who better to breathe life into the subject than Jerry Zucker, the mastermind behind the "Naked Gun" films, and "Airplane," two of the most hilarious movies I have seen. After years of directing straight dramas, Zucker says he is thrilled to be back doing comedy. "It's very visual and there are lots of big visual stunts," Zucker explains in the film's production notes, "kind of a James Bond comedy in a way because there are so many sight gags."

Good comparison-"Race Race" is indeed a visual comedy. Its laugh-a-minute attitude works for the creative situations. The audience does not necessarily laugh at every single joke the movie throws, but the humor is timed well. "Rat Race" also contains a terrific cast and provides enough laughs to be worthy of at least one viewing.

John Cleese stars as the eccentric Las Vegas casino tycoon named Donald Sinclair. He wants to keep his wealthy, high stakes gamblers interested in his gambling techniques so he arranges a new, quasi-legal sporting event for them to bet on: a human rat race.

Sinclair randomly places six golden coins in several different slot machines. The customer service sends the winners to a large banquet room where the characters learn of a two million dollar jackpot resting in a duffel bag, inside a locker, within the city of Silver City, New Mexico-seven hundred miles away. The fist one there keeps all of the money, tax-free. "…the odds of winning are one and six…" explains Sinclair. "There's only one rule: there are no rules!" The players include a vast variety of different characters. There is Vera Baker (Whoopi Goldberg), who, after giving her child up for adoption as a baby, has decided to meet her daughter, Merrill (Lanai Chapman). Owen Temleton (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), an NFL coach who recently blew an important game, has come to the sin city to forget his horrendous mistake. Mr. Pollini (Rowan Akinson from "Bean") is an exuberantly cheerful, but narcoleptic, Italian fellow. Randy Pear (Jon Lovitz), and his family is vacationing when he slips off to play slots and wins the chance of a lifetime. The Cody brothers (Seth Green and Vince Vieluf), are first to cause trouble in any crowd. Finally, Nick (Breckin Meyer) a skeptical young lawyer-in-training, meets a charming young woman (Amy Smart), and encounters plenty of adventures with her.

"Rat Race" offers plenty of hit and miss humor. Much of it misses, but much of it hits the mark as well. The majority of the humor is physical and exaggerated. Very little offers sharp, witty satire on any part of culture. The film says something about greed in a zany sort of way, but for the most part this is just a two hour laugh riot, nothing more, nothing less.

However, this is a tricky script to write, and for the overall result to provide this much effective comic material, Andrew Breckman's ingenious script is indeed successful. It's not easy writing a comedy like this, and Breckman does indeed run into a few problems in the overcrowded plot. Even more difficult is creating a conclusion for a story like this. No matter how you end it, you are certain to displease at least some audience members. Breckman has found a way to have his cake and eat it too. I would never dream of revealing how this race concludes itself, but I will say it is not exceedingly satisfying, but sure does work over the obvious other possibilities.

"Rat Race" is one of the funniest movies of the year. It's energetic, irrelevant, and entertaining. You are sure to have a decent time.
69 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best non-sense movies
sazo-24 February 2006
From a point of view it is not convenient to give a very high mark to a movie like this, but I believe that movies have to be rated in different categories. So it could happen that such a movie receives a greater mark than a movie from a different category, which by the way has a greater artistic value.

Anyway, if you like non-sense movies with absurd scenes, this is for you. The movie succeeds without clever jokes, with its hilarious scenes to make fun of the greedy or the "don't know how to spend their money" people. One absurd scene follows the other, and if you like such humor you will soon find yourself convulsed with laughter. Sometimes it may appear forced, but this is a characteristic for the genre. If you just want a fun and action packed movie, this is a very good choice.
68 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
FUNNY!
dross278 December 2002
This movie, for those of you old enough to remember it, will see the similarities to the old Spencer Tracy "It's a Mad Mad Mad World..." But this is a great time for the whole family. It includes a star studded cast, and the typical comedic gags that we have to expect where one of the Zucker boys is involved. One of the greatest things about this movie on DVD vs. seeing it at the theater is the outtake section on the DVD. I am a sucker for outtakes anyway, but once you've seen this film, and then watch this section, it is all the funnier! I also thought this was a great vehicle for certain members of the cast to do show their comedic abilities. Enjoy the film
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad-- Rat Race?
jhclues7 February 2002
If you've seen the trailer for this movie, you're probably thinking it looks hilarious and you've made a mental note that it's one you don't want to miss. More often than not, however, the funniest stuff is in the previews, and when you see the whole movie it's a let-down. But I'm here to tell you, that is decidedly NOT the case with `Rat Race,' directed by Jerry Zucker, and furthermore, make a mental note: This movie is hilarious, and one you DO NOT want to miss. In the tradition of Stanley Kramer's 1963 BIG comedy hit, `It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,' this one is exactly what it is supposed to be-- Fun (yes, with a capital `F'), and Funny-- with one laugh after another that just keep on a-comin'.

Las Vegas casino owner Donald Sinclair (John Cleese), likes to offer his elite customers-- the `high rollers'-- something they can't get anywhere else, in the form of things they can gamble on that are so bizarre you can only imagine. And the big one he comes up with this time begins with the planting of six lucky tokens in his slot machines. Those who win the tokens are invited to attend a meeting, at which time Sinclair announces that they are to be the lucky participants in a `race' of sorts. In a train station locker in the small town of Silver City, New Mexico, there is $2,000,000 waiting for whomever gets to it first. He passes out six identical keys to the token bearers that will open the locker, shouts `Go!' and they're off! And Sinclair's high rollers proceed to put down some big bucks on their favorite horse-- uh, dog!-- uh-- Well, you get the idea...

The participants include Nick (Breckin Meyer), who is pretty much just a regular guy; NFL referee Owen Templeton (Cuba Gooding Jr.), hated by millions because of a recent botched call; brothers Duane and Blaine Cody (Seth Green, Vince Vieluf), not the brightest bulbs to begin with, and hampered in their communications by Blaine's newly pierced tongue; a mother, Vera (Whoopi Goldberg), and the daughter she gave up for adoption and with whom she has just reunited, Merrill (Lanei Chapman); Randy Pear (Jon Lovitz), who has a hard time making his wife, Bev (Kathy Najimy), and their two kids, Kimberly (Jillian Marie) and Jason (Brody Smith) understand why he's interrupted their Vegas vacation to drag them off suddenly to New Mexico; and-- last but not least-- Enrico Pollini (Rowan Atkinson), a narcoleptic Italian. It's quite the eclectic bunch, and they definitely put on quite a show.

During the rush for the gold, they encounter a number of people and situations that drive the laugh meter through the roof, including: A woman (Kathy Bates) selling squirrels by the roadside (Vera and Merrill); a group of `Lucy' impersonators on their way to some kind of Lucy convention (Owen); a `Barbie' museum that isn't what it seems, and not a great place for the Jewish Pear family to visit; an errant cow, a hot air balloon and a guy who overhears too much (Duane and Blaine); a jealous helicopter pilot named Tracy (Amy Smart), who buzzes her boyfriend's house at a most inopportune time (Nick); an ambulance driver, Zack (Wayne Knight), who is transporting a human heart for a transplant, and suffers something akin to the same fate as that famous `cat' due to his curiosity (Enrico). Zucker and writer Andy Breckman pulled out all the stops with this one, and the result (and there's much, much, MUCH more than what's mentioned here) is some pretty wild stuff.

The secret to making this all work, is above all to keep it moving-- and Zucker certainly does that. He relies heavily on sight gags and slapstick, and knows how to set up the schtick for a real payoff, which he succeeds at time and again throughout the entire film. it's all fairly controlled insanity, and with a couple of exceptions when Zucker wanders into Jim Carrey/Farrelly Brothers territory, it's pretty easy to swallow. Most importantly, IT'S FUNNY! with enough different kinds of humor thrown in to satisfy just about any taste. And that's a rare thing to be said of any comedy, and it's a big part of why this one's such a gem.

The cast is superb, but the highlights have to be Cuba Gooding Jr., who demonstrates a real knack for comedy; John Cleese, who can make you laugh just by smiling, brandishing as he does a spectacular set of teeth; and Rowan Atkinson, who does some masterful bits of physical comedy, the likes of which rivals the best of Peter Sellers and Buster Keaton. The way he mugs and moves is absolutely hysterical.

The supporting cast includes Gloria Allred (Herself), Dave Thomas (Mr. Grisham), Dean Cain (Shawn), Paul Rodriguez (Gus), Brandy Ledford (Vicky), Tristin Leffler (Pierced Girl) and Andrew Kavovit. One that lives up to it's expectations and more, `Rat Race' is everything you want it to be, a laugh a minute movie that never lets up, and one that won't wear your brain out making you think about it too much. This is pure entertainment that'll lead you down the road to riot (make that `laugh' riot). There hasn't been anything quite like this since Jimmy Durante kicked that bucket and started that other bunch of madcaps off looking for `The big 'dub-a-yeh'.' Zucker and his gang really pulled this one off, and moreover, they did it with style. And that's the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.
91 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funnest comedies of 2001
Shep17 November 2002
From start to finish, it's all laughs. The movie is meant to be wacky and to be really taken seriously. I especially love the part when Jon Lovitz looks like Hitler. It's one of the best popcorn comedies of 2001. Just sit back and have fun. B+, 8/10
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Refreshingly inventive comedy
Spleen3 January 2002
I haven't seen "It's a Mad ... etc. World" (is it four Mads or five? I can never remember), so it's not fair to make comparisons - but the changes I know about sound as though they're improvements. The sum of money in the original film was $350 000; this time it's $2 million, which (adjusting for inflation) is considerably less. In the original the money was a fifteen-year-old buried treasure; here, it's just money. An eccentric squillionaire has put it in a locker without explanation. WE get an explanation, of sorts, but the racers do not - so there is no romance attached to the prize, which means that all of their actions are PURE expressions of greed. (John Cleese is the squillionaire, and while his cameo in "The World Is Not Enough" proved that he could, with the right material, fail to be funny, he and his coterie of wealthy compulsive gamblers are hilarious here. It's good counterpoint humour, since they're actually the least greedy, most disinterested people involved in the chase.)

A criticism levelled at the original was that innocent, well-meaning bystanders got hurt - that it was meant to be a joke when their property was destroyed, but the joke wasn't funny. "Rat Race" avoids being open to the same charge by making the world an even more venal one. The ambulance-chasing lawyer, the live organ courier, the quirky roadside squirrel-seller, the key-cutter, the garage mechanic, the neo-Nazis, the vengeful taxi driver ... all these people have less attractive personalities than any of the racers. Only a few of them are punished, but among them are the only outsiders to be punished at all. (With the exception, I'll admit, of people we never see, like the anonymous owners of cars that are run over in the parking lot.)

Whoopi Goldberg plays it straight, which suits her. I can't fault the acting anywhere, but I do wish that Rowan Atkinson hadn't been cast as the loopy, dim-witted Italian (I can't see this picture playing in Italy at all). To be sure, he brings the role off, and he's the only person who could have done so - but he would have been funnier if he'd been allowed to be more intelligent, to have a little more rat cunning hiding beneath the surface. (For half a second, he DOES exhibit cunning: it's by far his funniest moment.)

All scenes before the race is announced fall flat. Timing and motivation just weren't there, and I even wondered afterwards if Zucker had handed his establishing scenes to an ungifted underling. But I don't want to carp at a funny film by saying it could have been funnier. Things pick up considerably as soon as John Cleese outlines the central premise; from then on the film is never less than inventive, and even if (for some reason) you don't find it funny, you must admit that those involved at least had the right IDEA about comedy.
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A guiltless pleasure that is funny simply because it doesn't rely on a boatload of fart jokes
Agent102 July 2002
After seeing the first trailer for this film, I thought

it would too hokey for my tastes. However, like has happened on many other occasions, I was surprised by the humor in the film. While the principal characters were important in the movie, why didn't Wayne Knight get any billing? He's probably one of the best overweight actors since John Candy, and this guy can't get any work!? He was the only good reason to watch Seinfeld. Anyway, I felt this movie was quite a departure for some actors, and a great one for those who have made a movie such as this before. Jon Lovitz was excellent in this film, along with Mr. Bean (or Rowan Atkinson as he is called by non-Mr. Bean fans, who must be a sad group of people). The only downside to this film was the ending, which had yet another bad song by Smashmouth (and it was All-Star once again!). Overall, a good movie.
38 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I liked the ending!
Boyo-221 August 2001
I laughed throughout this comic masterpiece and so did everyone with me, who ranged in age from 60 to 12 (I am somewhere in between).

There is not a lot to say except that there are hits and misses and the misses far outweigh the jokes that are flat. Its just a lot of fun and I really liked the ending, which seems to have generated unfair critcism - it was the perfect way to end the movie.

I plan to see it at least three more times while it is in theatres, hopefully to take other people to see it. It really is that good and I want to support this throwback comedy while it is still playing (it didn't exactly set the box office on fire on its opening weekend).

Out and out laughs, a great time at the movies..who can ask for more?
54 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Funniest Film Ever Created
cjboog11 December 2005
I have seen Rat Race about 50 times, and it still packs the same punch for me that it did on view number 1. I absolutely love the stellar cast, which is highlighted by the performances of Rowan Atkinson, John Lovitz, and Whoopi Goldberg. Bringing many comedy stars together under one roof hasn't been done often enough. It did happen in Mars Attacks, which turned out to be a total waste of time and was and absolutely horrible movie. In this case however, the actors/actresses aren't awkwardly stuck into their roles, they all sink into very unique characters who each have a story to tell. Rat Race is a hilarious comedy that everyone should see, I have never met anyone who didn't like it. If you have nothing to do on a Saturday Night, you will enjoy this one for sure!
71 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I need a doctor
danbuckley6 September 2002
I didn't know I could laugh this often in one sitting. What a great movie. Maybe the ending wasn't the best and I don't know what Siskel and Ebert would think, but this was the funniest movie I have ever seen. You hear people talk about how funny Blazing saddles was. Well, this movie had more laughs in it than hormel has chili. I would love to know what movie packs more laughs than this. I'm sure it compares to the 1st 10 minutes of the new Austin Powers. I know it shares an actor or two. I'll let you know once I've seen them both...

Dan Buckley
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could have been rip roaring laugh out loud hilarious but alas
Chrysanthepop15 December 2007
'Rat Race' fails miserably. With a unique ensemble cast of such comedic talents one (like me) would have expected loads of laughter. Sadly the director and writer exaggerate the plot situations too much and the actors, every single one of them severely overact. That's not to say that there aren't any funny moments at all (Kathy Bates's cameo as the squirrel seller). However the overall outcome disappoints big time. It is the cast that really convinced me to watch the film. Who would have expected a film with John Cleese, Whoopi Goldberg, Rowan Atkinson, Jon Lovitz etc to be this non-funny! I suppose the director is to be blamed too. Many of the 'humour' appears forced. On the positive side, one does get to vastly enjoy the American landscape (it is a road movie after all). But, anyway, if you're expecting a real comedy, look elsewhere.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not worth the effort
gardnergillian22 October 2004
This was a cheap imitation (sort of) of the Cannonball Run (at least that was funny). Must be the American sense of slapstick humour, not sure, but I didn't find anything funny in this movie just a lot of predictable overworn ideas. 1 out of 10 for this piece of crap. The actors must have been somewhat hard up for cash. Every conceivable joke has been used by either Mel Brookes or other comedians who think their stuff is actually funny. Alas American humour lacks finesse and the clever play on words, instead they rely on seeing who can beat the crap out of each other, playing dirty tricks, using high improbable and at times impossible situations. No comedian worth his salt would resort to such tactics except to present to purile childish humour to an audience with an equal lack of intelligence. I guess this is why the American people are forever kept in the dark and not told what happens in their own country....they are too bloody shallow to understand real life.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie degrades squirrels.
Nick Damian24 July 2004
I happen to like squirrels. This movie degrades squirrels and cows.

While making a sad lame ass attempt at comedy, this is shamefully bad on almost all levels of story composture, dialog, characterization, plot and definition of humor.

Not only that, but any moral for an ending is put to waste by using a fast escape route to come up with an ending.

There was no tension and the final scene was so rudely and painfully constructed that even seeing it on TV, made me feel very insulted that there are much better films to be made.

To all the actors that played "LUCY"...forgive the reference to having her name and yourselves in this piece of $hit.

I feel sorry for the extras in this film and for the bit players who have to put this on their acting resume. This is a horrible piece of celluloid to represent what actors can refer to when trying to get a gig.

If anybody has any real desire for entertainment value when deciding to watch this garbage...there are other options.

1-watch grass grow 2-count the grains of sand at the beach 3-play baseball with a hornets net 4-go fishing in the toilet 5-compare snowflakes and mount them on the wall 6-make friends with snails for a long lasting relationship 7-send me money...

I recommend option 7

Anyway...this concludes my review of this film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why?
kraemerdenis2 August 2005
I certainly enjoyed the original movie, but this "remake" just lacked everything. The plot is not the best, most characters are a very bad joke and the acting is far from splendid. The only time I could really laugh (probably because I am a history student and on top of that from Germany and therefore knew what was meant) was in the scene with the "Barbie" museum. I was watching this in a movie theater in Scotland and apart from me, nobody seemed to get the joke... I wonder how it was in America (or anywhere else for that matter). Apart from that, the classic is still way ahead of this. So, why even try to make a new version of a classic when you can't even get close to it?
A very unfunny movie
39311 October 2003
I saw this movie at a .50 cent theater and it was a rip off. The one and only funny scene is of the two high school drop out teens. They are crying and trying to open the car doors in slow motion .They are unable to escape from the car, while if I remember correctly, a monster truck is trying to jump a row of cars and their car is last one in line. -Paul
Entertaining, but disappointing
matlock-65 July 2003
Rat Race is an average film at best, and unfortunately is a victim of it's own construction. Essentially a re-make of a 1963 film called "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", it suffers from too little character development, and far too many stupid scenes that aren't very funny.

The huge cast of stars, one of the film's biggest attractions, is also it's greatest liability. So many good comedic actors appear that the movie jumps around far too much to give any one of them nearly enough time to really satisfy the audience. Just when you're beginning to enjoy Rowan Atkinson's goofy "Enrico Pollini" character interacting with Wayne Knight, the shot jumps elsewhere. It felt too much like 5 or 6 movies that they jammed together into 1.

Some of the silly comedy is a bit too silly (read: stupid) to be believable as well. Why would Jon Lovitz's character say "That's a nice dike" (meaning to say "bike") to a tough looking female on a Harley? I didn't laugh, I just thought "moron".

It was just way too over-the-top and out of control. That said, I think it worked as well as it could, and I wasn't sorry I watched it.

I have a feeling the original might be better, but I'll have to watch it before I make that call.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Captain... we've hit rock bottom"
mattrochman18 June 2006
This film brings new meaning to the words dreadful, pathetic, stupid, woeful, awful, time-wasting and, most importantly, UNFUNNY.

How the big name cast possibly agreed to participate in this dog is so utterly beyond my comprehension that I'm speechless. I wonder whether any of them read the script before accepting the parts.

Story: DUMB. A group of random people with their own, unamuzing, eccentricities, suddenly depart Las Vegas after being told of the location of a safe containing vast sums of cash. The first one to get there gets the loot. It's all part of some stupid contest organised by Cleese. What follows this plot set-up is a bunch of sketches where the characters get themselves into trouble in their desperate, greedy attempt to get to the money first. There is only one vital ingredient missing from these various sketches: comedy.

In fact, towards the end of the film, I actually became convinced that this was an inside joke. That is, Whoopi, Cuba, Cleese, all these big names, got together and said "hey - let's make a film touted as a comedy that really isn't funny and has the most intellectually devoid storyline in the history of movie making. But we'll throw in an all star cast and see how much money it makes - just for a good laugh." If that was the case, I salute you - for you have achieved your goal. But if this was a genuine attempt at comedy, I fart in your general direction. On the comedy side of things, this film sets low standards and fails to achieve them.

At the end of the film, the cast ends up realising that there is more to life than just money, such as humanity. I rolled my eyes so hard that they nearly did a 360. As soon as the credits started rolling, I exerted the full force of my 300 pound weight on the DVD, shattering it into tiny pieces. I then vacuumed it up, sparing my rubbish bin the displeaure of it's company.

Congratulations to the film makers - this is as bad as it gets. You've hit the bottom and it can't get any worse than this. A comedy so stupid that it even chimps wouldn't give it a star.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So funny!
Kristine14 November 2007
I always wanted to see Rat Race but I never did, don't know why, but I thought of it last night while I was renting some movies. I watched it last night and I have to say that I cannot believe that I missed out on this film! I thought that Rat Race is one of the funniest movies I have seen. As silly and outrageous as the humor is, I think that's just what I needed to put me in a good mood. The cast in Rat Race is absolutely perfect, they couldn't have picked a more comedic cast, not only that, but they all clicked so well together and made the film just an absolute blast to watch. Not to mention, cows are just getting a reputation as the perfect comedic relief, just look at not only Rat Race, but Twister, lol. The story is extremely clever, just how far most people would go to get money in their pockets.

Donald P. Sinclair is a huge millionaire, he's so rich in fact, that he and his other rich buddies place the most obscene bets and they've just come up with the most cruel one of all. In a Las Vegas casino, several people have won a coin saying that they've won something. Donald has place two million dollars in a locker in Silver City, New Mexico. At first the group just laughs at him feeling like they've been scammed, but they think about it, and decide to just go for it. They all have to travel over two hundred miles while being watched by the rich group is watching them and betting on who is going to win the cash.

Rat Race is incredibly clever and just a whole lot of fun to watch. Another great thing about this film is that it puts you in a great mood, you gotta love the comedies that can't stop make you laughing out loud. I think my favorite team was without a doubt Seth Green and his brother, they were just classic. I loved it when they had to stop all the flights from getting out so that they could have the same head start. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone, it's a fun comedy and deserves a better rating on IMDb, trust me, it really is that funny.

5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Retarded comedy can be a lot of fun.
Fedor Petrovic (fedor8)7 October 2007
I expected a weak comedy, with attempts to make up for weak ideas/script with overacting/clowning around by the whole cast. I was very pleasantly surprised that this is not the case. TRR turned out to be funny, even hilarious in parts. It is much better than "It's a Mad, Mad..." which was very much a 60s comedy, i.e. buffoonery was far more important than anything else. TRR has some of that, too, but for every far-too-silly gag that bombs there are several that don't. Cuba Gooding has two particularly weak moments in the scene when he fools the bus-driver into handing him his clothes (: too stupid to be funny), and when he throws a temper tantrum at the Lucys screaming that he isn't a real bus-driver (: unconvincing). Otherwise, most scenes work very well. The highlights: the heart segments, the cow segments, "squirrel" grave-yard, and all the Hitler-related scenes. The movie moves at a brisk pace, much like a Looney Tunes cartoon. The good thing is that there are both good visual and verbal gags. It's a pity that Atkinson once again plays a Mr.Bean-like character, instead of showing how well he handles sarcastic characters, as in "Black Adder" 2-4. Mr. Bean just isn't funny; am I the only one to realize this?

The reason the IMDb average is low possibly lies in the fact that many people have a problem with admitting to liking low-brow humour - even to themselves. Inferiority-complexed snobs...
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you like physical comedy and laughing...
wlb3 July 2007
I just bought the DVD today (7/3/07) 6 years after I saw it in the theater. The visit to the Barbie Museum is just as hilarious, and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" - well, you have to see Amy Smart in this role.

The plot is copied from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World which I think is one of the comedy classics - take a group of unrelated people, point them to some treasure at the end of the rainbow, stand back and watch human nature take over. In other words, cheating, scheming, falling over each other trying to get there first.

I like John Cleese, Cuba Gooding, Whoppi Goldberg...and was smitten with Amy Smart - just don't get her angry with you ;-)

In the Special Features section all the actors were saying that it was a true joy on the set even with 14 hour days - lots of laughing and good times - and it shows in the performances.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very funny film, that often had me in stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances!
callanvass27 May 2006
This is a very funny film, that often had me in stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances!. All the characters are awesome, and I think this film should be higher then 6.3 in in my opinion, plus Rowan Atkinson and Cuba Gooding Jr. are simply amazing in this!. One of the funniest moments in the film for me is when Amy Smart's character gets angry at her boyfriend for cheating on him and she goes psycho on him, and Rowan Atkinson's character was really just Mr. Bean as Enrico Pollini but he was still amazing! plus I loved the scenes him and Wayne Knight had together. The ending was just perfect in my opinion, and there are so many hilarious gags to enjoy as well, plus Seth Green and Vince Vieluf are hilarious as the two crook brothers. It's very well made and written for the most part, and if your not rolling with laughter, You'll at least be chuckling, plus John Cleese was very good in his role. I loved the scene where they search for the heart that they lost as that was very funny, plus I also loved the squirrel segment with Kathy Bates!. This is a very funny film, that often had me ins stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances, I highly recommend this one!. The Direction is great!. Jerry Zucker does a great! job here with excellent camera work, cool angles, and just keeping the film hilarious and at a very fast pace. The Acting is lots of fun!. Breckin Meyer is fantastic in his role, he had this easygoing charm that I loved, he was also great with Amy Smart, this guy is quite underrated in my opinion, I loved him here!. Cuba Gooding Jr. is hilarious as the bone headed Ref who cost the Dallas Cowboys the game, as he did so many hilarious things, he just rocked!, especially loved the scene with him and the Lucille Ball imitators on the bus that was a scream!. Seth Green and Vince Vieluf are hilarious as the two crook brothers, and stole a lot of the scenes I loved them!. Whoopi Goldberg is OK in her role I'm not really a big fan. Lanei Chapman is good in her role I liked her. Jon Lovitz is surprisingly funny and effective in his role, because he usually annoys me. Rowan Atkinson is amazing as always and is amazing here, now he is basically just playing Mr. Bean as Enrico Pollini but it's still very funny, he brought a lot of laughs to the film!. John Cleese is good in his role just wished he had more screen time. Amy Smart is very cute and is quite funny in her role, especially loved the scene where she went psycho on her boyfriend. Wayne Knight is hilarious as usual, I loved him, he worked well with Atkinson. Kathy Bates is funny as the Squirrel lady I liked her. Rest of the cast are fine. Overall I highly recommend this one!. ***1/2 out of 5
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
what you see is what you get
rebeljenn18 March 2006
'Rat Race' practically sells itself because of the number of big celebrity stars in the film. Normally films that use several big stars are not that good, and 'Rat Race' is no exception there. The film is about a group of people who are brought together to race around for money, locating different clues to lead them to the treasure. This race brings together all sorts of characters. Sure, some of the film is funny, but it's a film that once you have seen it, that is enough and the humor is quickly forgotten. Pretty much, what you see is what you get with this film. You will laugh in some places, and you will get into the action, but do not expect anything more than that.
RAT DROPPINGS
Murphy-225 July 2003
How should I begin my comments on this movie, hmm.......let me think......stinks.....sucks.....awful....non-funny......how about crap! This is without a doubt the least funny, least interesting, least intelligent movie I have seen this year and maybe in the last decade. What happened to Zucker? The poor guy used to have funny movies, not this slime he offered to the public. Rowan Atkinson, can you say an Italian Mr. Bean? Wayne Knight, can you say Newman from Seinfeld? Jon Lovitz, can you say any one of his boring bits from Saturday Night Live? John Cleese, can you say the manager from Fawlty Towers? So on and so on and so on!!! Don't let me forget the leading romantic couple...its hard to believe they could be any worse than they were in "Road Trip", but guess what, they are in this garbage. Couldn't Zucker come up with any funny ideas? Oh wait, a cow tied to a hot air balloon....ha-ha-ha not! Wasn't funny. Wait, the dog and the heart....nope! The pierced tounge...zzzzzzzzzz! Ooooooo, I know, the Hitler car and the cigarette lighter....nada! I'm glad I checked this out from the library so luckily I didn't have to pay a rental fee. My only wish is that IMDB would allow you to give a "0" rating on movies, because that is the rating it deserves. Instead I gave it a "1". By the way, Mr. Zucker, if you are having nightmares in your sleep after making this dribble, its probably Stanley Kramer's spirit causing it. I think you owe his ghost a public apology.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Free associations from a childish mind
ojosabiertos16 August 2002
Cynical and sad, the first adjective matches with comedies, but not the second one, this Zucker movie is not a movie in itself, but a couple of free associations whose IQ required to see it is less than a chimpanzee watching The planet of the ape. Some boring patrons and a excentric tycoon who run a casino choose by random a group of individuals which engage in a race to get 2 millions dollars. The individual zeal and greedy is overcome when they finally got the money and found a best and humanistic choice: donate dollars to a NGO, Feed the Earth. Along the lines of Farrely brothers but without their intelligence and class sensibility, Rat Race is neither a comedy nor a movie. Not only the characters are "kidnaped" by the director's free associations, but one is also trapped by it. The great difference is -if you are not a critic- that after being 15 minutes in the multiplex you can leave theater.