Rat Race (2001) Poster

(2001)

Very funny and entertaining. You're bound to have a good time. *** (out of four)
Movie-1218 September 2001
RAT RACE / (2001) *** (out of four

"Rat Race" revives a genre Hollywood has neglected since the sixties: the big event, ensemble chase comedy. Who better to breathe life into the subject than Jerry Zucker, the mastermind behind the "Naked Gun" films, and "Airplane," two of the most hilarious movies I have seen. After years of directing straight dramas, Zucker says he is thrilled to be back doing comedy. "It's very visual and there are lots of big visual stunts," Zucker explains in the film's production notes, "kind of a James Bond comedy in a way because there are so many sight gags."

Good comparison-"Race Race" is indeed a visual comedy. Its laugh-a-minute attitude works for the creative situations. The audience does not necessarily laugh at every single joke the movie throws, but the humor is timed well. "Rat Race" also contains a terrific cast and provides enough laughs to be worthy of at least one viewing.

John Cleese stars as the eccentric Las Vegas casino tycoon named Donald Sinclair. He wants to keep his wealthy, high stakes gamblers interested in his gambling techniques so he arranges a new, quasi-legal sporting event for them to bet on: a human rat race.

Sinclair randomly places six golden coins in several different slot machines. The customer service sends the winners to a large banquet room where the characters learn of a two million dollar jackpot resting in a duffel bag, inside a locker, within the city of Silver City, New Mexico-seven hundred miles away. The fist one there keeps all of the money, tax-free. "…the odds of winning are one and six…" explains Sinclair. "There's only one rule: there are no rules!" The players include a vast variety of different characters. There is Vera Baker (Whoopi Goldberg), who, after giving her child up for adoption as a baby, has decided to meet her daughter, Merrill (Lanai Chapman). Owen Temleton (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), an NFL coach who recently blew an important game, has come to the sin city to forget his horrendous mistake. Mr. Pollini (Rowan Akinson from "Bean") is an exuberantly cheerful, but narcoleptic, Italian fellow. Randy Pear (Jon Lovitz), and his family is vacationing when he slips off to play slots and wins the chance of a lifetime. The Cody brothers (Seth Green and Vince Vieluf), are first to cause trouble in any crowd. Finally, Nick (Breckin Meyer) a skeptical young lawyer-in-training, meets a charming young woman (Amy Smart), and encounters plenty of adventures with her.

"Rat Race" offers plenty of hit and miss humor. Much of it misses, but much of it hits the mark as well. The majority of the humor is physical and exaggerated. Very little offers sharp, witty satire on any part of culture. The film says something about greed in a zany sort of way, but for the most part this is just a two hour laugh riot, nothing more, nothing less.

However, this is a tricky script to write, and for the overall result to provide this much effective comic material, Andrew Breckman's ingenious script is indeed successful. It's not easy writing a comedy like this, and Breckman does indeed run into a few problems in the overcrowded plot. Even more difficult is creating a conclusion for a story like this. No matter how you end it, you are certain to displease at least some audience members. Breckman has found a way to have his cake and eat it too. I would never dream of revealing how this race concludes itself, but I will say it is not exceedingly satisfying, but sure does work over the obvious other possibilities.

"Rat Race" is one of the funniest movies of the year. It's energetic, irrelevant, and entertaining. You are sure to have a decent time.
69 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A human horse race!
mermatt17 August 2001
AIRPLANE! crashes into MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Duck and cover. The antics are silly, but they come at you fast and furious -- a transvestile Lucy (in a whole bunch of Lucys), squirrels, cows, balloons, a dead dog, a heart transplant, car wrecks, bowel movements, a bullet train, and much much more.

It's slapstick and double take time in this zany comedy about human greed and just plain old stupidity. The story line gets pretty ragged at times but it is funny. And it even has a message.

If you want to lose yourself for two hours in a nutty comedy, this is a good bet.
57 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best non-sense movies
sazo-24 February 2006
From a point of view it is not convenient to give a very high mark to a movie like this, but I believe that movies have to be rated in different categories. So it could happen that such a movie receives a greater mark than a movie from a different category, which by the way has a greater artistic value.

Anyway, if you like non-sense movies with absurd scenes, this is for you. The movie succeeds without clever jokes, with its hilarious scenes to make fun of the greedy or the "don't know how to spend their money" people. One absurd scene follows the other, and if you like such humor you will soon find yourself convulsed with laughter. Sometimes it may appear forced, but this is a characteristic for the genre. If you just want a fun and action packed movie, this is a very good choice.
70 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FUNNY!
dross278 December 2002
This movie, for those of you old enough to remember it, will see the similarities to the old Spencer Tracy "It's a Mad Mad Mad World..." But this is a great time for the whole family. It includes a star studded cast, and the typical comedic gags that we have to expect where one of the Zucker boys is involved. One of the greatest things about this movie on DVD vs. seeing it at the theater is the outtake section on the DVD. I am a sucker for outtakes anyway, but once you've seen this film, and then watch this section, it is all the funnier! I also thought this was a great vehicle for certain members of the cast to do show their comedic abilities. Enjoy the film
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad-- Rat Race?
jhclues7 February 2002
If you've seen the trailer for this movie, you're probably thinking it looks hilarious and you've made a mental note that it's one you don't want to miss. More often than not, however, the funniest stuff is in the previews, and when you see the whole movie it's a let-down. But I'm here to tell you, that is decidedly NOT the case with `Rat Race,' directed by Jerry Zucker, and furthermore, make a mental note: This movie is hilarious, and one you DO NOT want to miss. In the tradition of Stanley Kramer's 1963 BIG comedy hit, `It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,' this one is exactly what it is supposed to be-- Fun (yes, with a capital `F'), and Funny-- with one laugh after another that just keep on a-comin'.

Las Vegas casino owner Donald Sinclair (John Cleese), likes to offer his elite customers-- the `high rollers'-- something they can't get anywhere else, in the form of things they can gamble on that are so bizarre you can only imagine. And the big one he comes up with this time begins with the planting of six lucky tokens in his slot machines. Those who win the tokens are invited to attend a meeting, at which time Sinclair announces that they are to be the lucky participants in a `race' of sorts. In a train station locker in the small town of Silver City, New Mexico, there is $2,000,000 waiting for whomever gets to it first. He passes out six identical keys to the token bearers that will open the locker, shouts `Go!' and they're off! And Sinclair's high rollers proceed to put down some big bucks on their favorite horse-- uh, dog!-- uh-- Well, you get the idea...

The participants include Nick (Breckin Meyer), who is pretty much just a regular guy; NFL referee Owen Templeton (Cuba Gooding Jr.), hated by millions because of a recent botched call; brothers Duane and Blaine Cody (Seth Green, Vince Vieluf), not the brightest bulbs to begin with, and hampered in their communications by Blaine's newly pierced tongue; a mother, Vera (Whoopi Goldberg), and the daughter she gave up for adoption and with whom she has just reunited, Merrill (Lanei Chapman); Randy Pear (Jon Lovitz), who has a hard time making his wife, Bev (Kathy Najimy), and their two kids, Kimberly (Jillian Marie) and Jason (Brody Smith) understand why he's interrupted their Vegas vacation to drag them off suddenly to New Mexico; and-- last but not least-- Enrico Pollini (Rowan Atkinson), a narcoleptic Italian. It's quite the eclectic bunch, and they definitely put on quite a show.

During the rush for the gold, they encounter a number of people and situations that drive the laugh meter through the roof, including: A woman (Kathy Bates) selling squirrels by the roadside (Vera and Merrill); a group of `Lucy' impersonators on their way to some kind of Lucy convention (Owen); a `Barbie' museum that isn't what it seems, and not a great place for the Jewish Pear family to visit; an errant cow, a hot air balloon and a guy who overhears too much (Duane and Blaine); a jealous helicopter pilot named Tracy (Amy Smart), who buzzes her boyfriend's house at a most inopportune time (Nick); an ambulance driver, Zack (Wayne Knight), who is transporting a human heart for a transplant, and suffers something akin to the same fate as that famous `cat' due to his curiosity (Enrico). Zucker and writer Andy Breckman pulled out all the stops with this one, and the result (and there's much, much, MUCH more than what's mentioned here) is some pretty wild stuff.

The secret to making this all work, is above all to keep it moving-- and Zucker certainly does that. He relies heavily on sight gags and slapstick, and knows how to set up the schtick for a real payoff, which he succeeds at time and again throughout the entire film. it's all fairly controlled insanity, and with a couple of exceptions when Zucker wanders into Jim Carrey/Farrelly Brothers territory, it's pretty easy to swallow. Most importantly, IT'S FUNNY! with enough different kinds of humor thrown in to satisfy just about any taste. And that's a rare thing to be said of any comedy, and it's a big part of why this one's such a gem.

The cast is superb, but the highlights have to be Cuba Gooding Jr., who demonstrates a real knack for comedy; John Cleese, who can make you laugh just by smiling, brandishing as he does a spectacular set of teeth; and Rowan Atkinson, who does some masterful bits of physical comedy, the likes of which rivals the best of Peter Sellers and Buster Keaton. The way he mugs and moves is absolutely hysterical.

The supporting cast includes Gloria Allred (Herself), Dave Thomas (Mr. Grisham), Dean Cain (Shawn), Paul Rodriguez (Gus), Brandy Ledford (Vicky), Tristin Leffler (Pierced Girl) and Andrew Kavovit. One that lives up to it's expectations and more, `Rat Race' is everything you want it to be, a laugh a minute movie that never lets up, and one that won't wear your brain out making you think about it too much. This is pure entertainment that'll lead you down the road to riot (make that `laugh' riot). There hasn't been anything quite like this since Jimmy Durante kicked that bucket and started that other bunch of madcaps off looking for `The big 'dub-a-yeh'.' Zucker and his gang really pulled this one off, and moreover, they did it with style. And that's the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.
93 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funnest comedies of 2001
Shep17 November 2002
From start to finish, it's all laughs. The movie is meant to be wacky and to be really taken seriously. I especially love the part when Jon Lovitz looks like Hitler. It's one of the best popcorn comedies of 2001. Just sit back and have fun. B+, 8/10
55 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshingly inventive comedy
Spleen3 January 2002
I haven't seen "It's a Mad ... etc. World" (is it four Mads or five? I can never remember), so it's not fair to make comparisons - but the changes I know about sound as though they're improvements. The sum of money in the original film was $350 000; this time it's $2 million, which (adjusting for inflation) is considerably less. In the original the money was a fifteen-year-old buried treasure; here, it's just money. An eccentric squillionaire has put it in a locker without explanation. WE get an explanation, of sorts, but the racers do not - so there is no romance attached to the prize, which means that all of their actions are PURE expressions of greed. (John Cleese is the squillionaire, and while his cameo in "The World Is Not Enough" proved that he could, with the right material, fail to be funny, he and his coterie of wealthy compulsive gamblers are hilarious here. It's good counterpoint humour, since they're actually the least greedy, most disinterested people involved in the chase.)

A criticism levelled at the original was that innocent, well-meaning bystanders got hurt - that it was meant to be a joke when their property was destroyed, but the joke wasn't funny. "Rat Race" avoids being open to the same charge by making the world an even more venal one. The ambulance-chasing lawyer, the live organ courier, the quirky roadside squirrel-seller, the key-cutter, the garage mechanic, the neo-Nazis, the vengeful taxi driver ... all these people have less attractive personalities than any of the racers. Only a few of them are punished, but among them are the only outsiders to be punished at all. (With the exception, I'll admit, of people we never see, like the anonymous owners of cars that are run over in the parking lot.)

Whoopi Goldberg plays it straight, which suits her. I can't fault the acting anywhere, but I do wish that Rowan Atkinson hadn't been cast as the loopy, dim-witted Italian (I can't see this picture playing in Italy at all). To be sure, he brings the role off, and he's the only person who could have done so - but he would have been funnier if he'd been allowed to be more intelligent, to have a little more rat cunning hiding beneath the surface. (For half a second, he DOES exhibit cunning: it's by far his funniest moment.)

All scenes before the race is announced fall flat. Timing and motivation just weren't there, and I even wondered afterwards if Zucker had handed his establishing scenes to an ungifted underling. But I don't want to carp at a funny film by saying it could have been funnier. Things pick up considerably as soon as John Cleese outlines the central premise; from then on the film is never less than inventive, and even if (for some reason) you don't find it funny, you must admit that those involved at least had the right IDEA about comedy.
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A guiltless pleasure that is funny simply because it doesn't rely on a boatload of fart jokes
Agent102 July 2002
After seeing the first trailer for this film, I thought

it would too hokey for my tastes. However, like has happened on many other occasions, I was surprised by the humor in the film. While the principal characters were important in the movie, why didn't Wayne Knight get any billing? He's probably one of the best overweight actors since John Candy, and this guy can't get any work!? He was the only good reason to watch Seinfeld. Anyway, I felt this movie was quite a departure for some actors, and a great one for those who have made a movie such as this before. Jon Lovitz was excellent in this film, along with Mr. Bean (or Rowan Atkinson as he is called by non-Mr. Bean fans, who must be a sad group of people). The only downside to this film was the ending, which had yet another bad song by Smashmouth (and it was All-Star once again!). Overall, a good movie.
38 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked the ending!
Boyo-221 August 2001
I laughed throughout this comic masterpiece and so did everyone with me, who ranged in age from 60 to 12 (I am somewhere in between).

There is not a lot to say except that there are hits and misses and the misses far outweigh the jokes that are flat. Its just a lot of fun and I really liked the ending, which seems to have generated unfair critcism - it was the perfect way to end the movie.

I plan to see it at least three more times while it is in theatres, hopefully to take other people to see it. It really is that good and I want to support this throwback comedy while it is still playing (it didn't exactly set the box office on fire on its opening weekend).

Out and out laughs, a great time at the movies..who can ask for more?
54 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Funniest Film Ever Created
cjboog11 December 2005
I have seen Rat Race about 50 times, and it still packs the same punch for me that it did on view number 1. I absolutely love the stellar cast, which is highlighted by the performances of Rowan Atkinson, John Lovitz, and Whoopi Goldberg. Bringing many comedy stars together under one roof hasn't been done often enough. It did happen in Mars Attacks, which turned out to be a total waste of time and was and absolutely horrible movie. In this case however, the actors/actresses aren't awkwardly stuck into their roles, they all sink into very unique characters who each have a story to tell. Rat Race is a hilarious comedy that everyone should see, I have never met anyone who didn't like it. If you have nothing to do on a Saturday Night, you will enjoy this one for sure!
72 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been rip roaring laugh out loud hilarious but alas
Chrysanthepop15 December 2007
'Rat Race' fails miserably. With a unique ensemble cast of such comedic talents one (like me) would have expected loads of laughter. Sadly the director and writer exaggerate the plot situations too much and the actors, every single one of them severely overact. That's not to say that there aren't any funny moments at all (Kathy Bates's cameo as the squirrel seller). However the overall outcome disappoints big time. It is the cast that really convinced me to watch the film. Who would have expected a film with John Cleese, Whoopi Goldberg, Rowan Atkinson, Jon Lovitz etc to be this non-funny! I suppose the director is to be blamed too. Many of the 'humour' appears forced. On the positive side, one does get to vastly enjoy the American landscape (it is a road movie after all). But, anyway, if you're expecting a real comedy, look elsewhere.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I need a doctor
danbuckley6 September 2002
I didn't know I could laugh this often in one sitting. What a great movie. Maybe the ending wasn't the best and I don't know what Siskel and Ebert would think, but this was the funniest movie I have ever seen. You hear people talk about how funny Blazing saddles was. Well, this movie had more laughs in it than hormel has chili. I would love to know what movie packs more laughs than this. I'm sure it compares to the 1st 10 minutes of the new Austin Powers. I know it shares an actor or two. I'll let you know once I've seen them both...

Dan Buckley
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like physical comedy and laughing...
wlb3 July 2007
I just bought the DVD today (7/3/07) 6 years after I saw it in the theater. The visit to the Barbie Museum is just as hilarious, and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" - well, you have to see Amy Smart in this role.

The plot is copied from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World which I think is one of the comedy classics - take a group of unrelated people, point them to some treasure at the end of the rainbow, stand back and watch human nature take over. In other words, cheating, scheming, falling over each other trying to get there first.

I like John Cleese, Cuba Gooding, Whoppi Goldberg...and was smitten with Amy Smart - just don't get her angry with you ;-)

In the Special Features section all the actors were saying that it was a true joy on the set even with 14 hour days - lots of laughing and good times - and it shows in the performances.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best Funniest movies!
butterfly90416 February 2003
I saw this and I thought it was outrageous! I couldn't stop laughing! I saw this movie about 7 times and I recomended it to almost ever one i know. So now I am recomending this movie to you (which I think deserves even more than 5 stars!)
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, what a fast paced, terrific movie
Mattin3 September 2002
I just want to say, that I'm totally amazed. This movie is an excellent piece of comedy, and I haven't laughed that much in a movie for a very long time. Great. My favorite scene is the monster-truck escape scene, brilliant filming.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've a new dreamwoman ! ;-)
poem2 September 2002
And her name is Amy Smart ! She has my absolute favorite scene here, when she attacks her boyfriend after she has found out he betrayed her. Its fantastic ! Fan-tas-tic ! I absolutely loved it ! I've to watch this movie again just for that scene !

But also the rest of the movie is really funny. Not so much "Mr Bean" Rowan Atkinson, who played a character a little bit too crazy to be really amusing. But the rest is just too good to be true. I really wasn't attracted too much by the trailer, but the movie itself is so much better !

Don't avoid this one ! Its far better that it looks from the outside !
A SO FUNNY nonsense!
Arthur Ribeiro23 September 2006
Rat Race is a incredible movie and I really enjoyed it. It's full of the most nonsense situations that can exist, but I think that it shows, with a little exaggeration, the indiscriminated desire for money that we have today. And it's surprising. The humor is so well-timed! I remember the hilarious moments when we discover that the gentlemen called the bitch only for a bet, and when the blond (I don't remember the name) changes all her cute looking when she discover her boyfriend with another woman. It's some impossible appeal, I recognize, like the scene when the heart starts to pulse only with the eletricity, but it has so many funny and convincing moments that we forgot it and start to laugh anyway! Never the nonsense was so funny!
How Funny!!!
Sheldon Green28 May 2006
In the 1960s it was "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" when Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Ceaser, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hacket, Terry Thomas, Jonathan Winters, Phil Silvers, Ethel Merman, Edie Adams and literally hundreds of others of the funniest people in Hollywood got together for the ultimate "finders keepers" hunt for missing cash.

Rat Race is this generation's "finders keepers" classic--funny as can be, but more of a ensemble than a who's who in comedy because, frankly, there are not that many classic funny people left.

John Cleese, Jon Lovitz, and Whoopie Goldberg are the comedic stars, joined by the absolutely gorgeous Amy Smart and others including the rock group Smash Mouth. Together they create one laugh after another--a car climbing poll, a cow flying high, an air-ground war between a chopper and a truck, Hitler's car and a team of wealthy greedy bettors all will make you roar with laughter! I have watched this movie several times, and although I know what is happening before it happens, it is still hilarious. Enjoy!
RAT RACE IS Hilarious, SPOILER
schuyler_royal15 April 2006
This movie is my favorite movie of all time. It automatically puts you in a good movie the second it starts. The cast is a mixture of well-known comedians who play the perfect rolls. It is a spin-off of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" and is even funnier. It is about different people who came to Las Vegas for vacation. They are all picked by the Venetian hotel manager who is played by John Cleese (very FUNNY). He tells them that hidden in a locker in New Mexico is a duffel bag with two million dollars in it and that the first one that gets to the locker gets to keep it all. At first they are all hesitant but after moments of hesitation all decide to start this dash for the cash. It is a hilarious mix of comedy and humor and will make it to your collection of favorite movies. It is a must-see.
funny
biggin-17 August 2005
This movie is completely hilarious at times! "You should have bought a squirrel!" "I'm in a race. I'm winning! I'm winning" The cast of characters provide a perfect mix of comedy. The wrong coin flip call also really happened many years ago on Thanksgiving day during a Steelers-Lions game. Jerome "the bus" Bettis called the coin flip correctly; however, the referee heard him wrong. That started my Pittsburgh Steelers downfall that year (I don't believe they won another game that year). Amy Smart's Psycho character flying the helicopter was great. Too bad she didn't get topless with Breckin Meyer like she did in "Road Trip!" Oh well, you can't have it all I guess.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rat Race is one of my favorite films
saint40523 June 2005
We start in Las Vegas with about six groups of people. A referee who is wanted by millions due to a bogus coin flip at a football game, a mother who hasn't seen her daughter in over ten years, two con artist brothers, a smart and wise gentleman who has had his movie bill gone through the roof from a bachelor party, an Italian tourist who is just happy to be alive, and a husband who is willing to lie to his wife and kids to gamble. They all receive one gold coin while gambling and find out from the hotels owner, Mr. Donald Sinclair that this coin puts them in a race from Las Vegas to Silver City, New Mexico to open a locker that consist of Two Million Dollars. By that said let the race begin! Rat Race is a modern version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. From where the journey starts, Rat Race is a wild treat that brings lots of laughs as you watch six groups of desperate people go across the country for greed facing cops, crazy squirrel ladies, rocket cars, wild taxi drivers, a tour bus filled with I Love Lucy girls, a pasture of cows, a medic who wants to look at the organs he transporting, Nazi's, and more! Director Jerry Zucker has given us a well made film that is smart and classy. With a solid cast, good script, and funny performances Rat Race gets the two big thumbs up and is well recommended!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertaining laughs !
borgulyp22 August 2001
When I looked at the list of characters, I thought this should be a good movie. I was not disappointed ! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The plot is great, keeps taking unexpected turns and keeps you wondering what's next. There is not a boring moment in this film, but just a string of very funny scenes. I truly enjoyed this movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Two if you count Lindberg"
ajdagreat23 August 2001
The Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker team has made some of my favorite movies. I adore "Airplane!", "Top Secret!", "Ruthless People", and "The Naked Gun." So when I heard that Jerry Zucker was making a new comedy AND that it starred such funny actors as Jon Lovitz, Whoopi Goldberg, Rowan Atkinson, Seth Green, John Cleese, and Wayne Knight, I was convinced that it would be absolutely hilarious and become the funniest film of the year.

And I was not disappointed. OK, so "Shrek" is more likely seen as the funniest film of the year by critics, but in terms of my own personal enjoyment, "Rat Race" is it.

Jon Lovitz and family were great; the whole Nazi bit was absolutely inspired. Whoopi Goldberg and Lanei Chapman were fabulous, the squirrel bit was one of the funniest scenes of the movie. Amy Smart and Brecken Meyer - well, there had to be a little romance in this movie; not bad performances by either. Seth Green and Vince Vieluf were hilarious. Every word out of Rowan Atkinson's mouth made me laugh ("It's a race, it's a race! I'm winning, I'm winning!"). Cuba Gooding, Jr. was also very funny. John Cleese and the other gamblers proved to be another great subplot (the scene with the hooker is my favorite scene of the movie).

Some people commented on the ending. Yes, it seemed a bit out of place judging by the whole do-anything-to-get-the-money theme of the movie, but I guess everyone has a soft spot. That goes for the writer of "Rat Race" and all the characters.

A must-see!
So funny!
Kristine14 November 2007
I always wanted to see Rat Race but I never did, don't know why, but I thought of it last night while I was renting some movies. I watched it last night and I have to say that I cannot believe that I missed out on this film! I thought that Rat Race is one of the funniest movies I have seen. As silly and outrageous as the humor is, I think that's just what I needed to put me in a good mood. The cast in Rat Race is absolutely perfect, they couldn't have picked a more comedic cast, not only that, but they all clicked so well together and made the film just an absolute blast to watch. Not to mention, cows are just getting a reputation as the perfect comedic relief, just look at not only Rat Race, but Twister, lol. The story is extremely clever, just how far most people would go to get money in their pockets.

Donald P. Sinclair is a huge millionaire, he's so rich in fact, that he and his other rich buddies place the most obscene bets and they've just come up with the most cruel one of all. In a Las Vegas casino, several people have won a coin saying that they've won something. Donald has place two million dollars in a locker in Silver City, New Mexico. At first the group just laughs at him feeling like they've been scammed, but they think about it, and decide to just go for it. They all have to travel over two hundred miles while being watched by the rich group is watching them and betting on who is going to win the cash.

Rat Race is incredibly clever and just a whole lot of fun to watch. Another great thing about this film is that it puts you in a great mood, you gotta love the comedies that can't stop make you laughing out loud. I think my favorite team was without a doubt Seth Green and his brother, they were just classic. I loved it when they had to stop all the flights from getting out so that they could have the same head start. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone, it's a fun comedy and deserves a better rating on IMDb, trust me, it really is that funny.

6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny film, that often had me in stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances!
callanvass27 May 2006
This is a very funny film, that often had me in stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances!. All the characters are awesome, and I think this film should be higher then 6.3 in in my opinion, plus Rowan Atkinson and Cuba Gooding Jr. are simply amazing in this!. One of the funniest moments in the film for me is when Amy Smart's character gets angry at her boyfriend for cheating on him and she goes psycho on him, and Rowan Atkinson's character was really just Mr. Bean as Enrico Pollini but he was still amazing! plus I loved the scenes him and Wayne Knight had together. The ending was just perfect in my opinion, and there are so many hilarious gags to enjoy as well, plus Seth Green and Vince Vieluf are hilarious as the two crook brothers. It's very well made and written for the most part, and if your not rolling with laughter, You'll at least be chuckling, plus John Cleese was very good in his role. I loved the scene where they search for the heart that they lost as that was very funny, plus I also loved the squirrel segment with Kathy Bates!. This is a very funny film, that often had me ins stitches, as it's really good fun, with a great story, and hilarious performances, I highly recommend this one!. The Direction is great!. Jerry Zucker does a great! job here with excellent camera work, cool angles, and just keeping the film hilarious and at a very fast pace. The Acting is lots of fun!. Breckin Meyer is fantastic in his role, he had this easygoing charm that I loved, he was also great with Amy Smart, this guy is quite underrated in my opinion, I loved him here!. Cuba Gooding Jr. is hilarious as the bone headed Ref who cost the Dallas Cowboys the game, as he did so many hilarious things, he just rocked!, especially loved the scene with him and the Lucille Ball imitators on the bus that was a scream!. Seth Green and Vince Vieluf are hilarious as the two crook brothers, and stole a lot of the scenes I loved them!. Whoopi Goldberg is OK in her role I'm not really a big fan. Lanei Chapman is good in her role I liked her. Jon Lovitz is surprisingly funny and effective in his role, because he usually annoys me. Rowan Atkinson is amazing as always and is amazing here, now he is basically just playing Mr. Bean as Enrico Pollini but it's still very funny, he brought a lot of laughs to the film!. John Cleese is good in his role just wished he had more screen time. Amy Smart is very cute and is quite funny in her role, especially loved the scene where she went psycho on her boyfriend. Wayne Knight is hilarious as usual, I loved him, he worked well with Atkinson. Kathy Bates is funny as the Squirrel lady I liked her. Rest of the cast are fine. Overall I highly recommend this one!. ***1/2 out of 5
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.