Asterix and Obelix Meet Cleopatra (2002) Poster

This Asterix is even better than the first one
Jessica Carvalho18 March 2006
After I read that ''At the time of its release in 2002, its budget of $47 million, or 327,000,000 FRF, was said to make it the costliest French film ever. However, Astérix et Obélix contre César (1999) had a budget of $48 million, or 274,620,000 FRF, which supposedly made it the most expensive French film ever'' I discovered the reason why I found this movie to be one of the most beautiful and colorful of all I have ever seen. I loved the scenarios,the clothes(specially the ones from Cleopatra) and the atmosphere of the movie! It's so happy and cheerful! I found the jokes smart and hilarious and I have to consider this movie to be in my favorite comedies of all times!

The cast is also excellent, with Monica Bellucci(who is very beautiful as Cleopatra)Gérard Depardieu,(great Obelix!!Christian Clavier, Jamel Debbouze(That I saw for the first time in ''Amélie Poulain'') among others!:)

I recommend this movie even for people who doesn't know Asterix and Obelix comics. You are going to have a great amount of fun!:)

aka "Asterix e Obelix: Missão cleópatra" - Brazil
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Way better than the first movie
Iphigenie725 April 2005
I was lucky to see this sequel before the original because i'm not sure i would have gone out of my way to see it if the contrary had been true. I found "Mission Cléopâtre" better than it's predecessor for different reasons, but the major one is this : it was almost word for word an adaptation of one book not an amalgam like the first movie. The physical resemblance of some characters to their animated self were very funny especially the bad guy (who's name is escaping me, but he's the other architect). I don't know how this movie played in English; my first language is french so i didn't have that problem... I imagine some of the jokes weren't that easy to translate. I've learned something with years it's better to watch a movie with the subtitles than with the dubbing maybe you wont understand what is said, but you wont lose the rhythm and i think that's important too. I would recommend this movie to anyone who really loves "Astérix et Obélix".
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A successful, funny adaptation from a great comic book
Asterix-328 January 2002
All those who had seen it will easily agree with me : the first opus was terrible. Christian Clavier was unbearable, the story was ridiculous, the look was disappointing ; despite many talented actors and technicians, Goscinny was betrayed. Astérix et Obélix contre César was a cruel and total setback. Alain Chabat and his team had a lot of work to do in order not to fall into the same traps. Adapting Astérix to the cinema could have even considered an impossible challenge after that first disaster.

However, they made it. Astérix et Obélix : Mission Cléopâtre is a great adaptation of the famous comics. Alain Chabat, who also wrote the screenplay, could modernize the story and the characters and obtain the best from the composer, the cinematographer, the production designer, the actors... With the biggest French budget (50 million Euros), he's made a movie that is suitable for all the family, with an outstanding look and a funniest Jamel. Fast-paced, with plentiful play on words, some situations are really hilarious.

If you like Astérix, and if you like humor, you will like this movie.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A brilliant comedy
cinewatt2 September 2002
This is definitely a "must see" film. The excellent Director Alain Chabat (also acting as Ceasar) has managed to capture the very essence of the "Adventures of Astérix" (the French comic books it's based upon) and to create a fantastically modern and intelligent comedy, which is also an homage to the world of animated films. This movie is so funny, so full of jokes (both visual and spoken) that it might take you two or three screenings before you notice them all, between your bursts of laughter. The only drawback is that a non-French audience (or at least a non-French speaking audience) might not get all the "private jokes". There are so many dialogues impossible to translate, so many situations directly related either to the comic books or to the French way of life, that the fun might be lessened. However, it's still totally worth seeing for the beautiful picture, the amazing stunts, the music, the totally crazy atmosphere and the excellent acting. All actors are great, but the film would not be the same without Jamel Debouze, Gérard Darmon and Edouard Baer. And please don't EVER compare this magnificent film to the terrible previous one based on the same comic books : "Astérix et Obélix Contre César" and directed by Claude Zidi.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
If you didn't like the first, you MUST see this one! It's a must!
negative-713 April 2002
I have to confess that I slept in the cinema while watching the first Asterix movie... but this one is simply FANTASTIC! It is really funny and it leaves the first one miles away. It has enumerous gags and funny situations that made me laugh since the first minutes of the movie and I only stopped laughing when I reached the car to return home. I repeat: this movie is spectacular... Obelix is really funny and Cleopatra is a real babe!!
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great fun!
Su (bluegum4)23 March 2003
I loved this film, the audience I was part of loved this film, and the little 7 year old girl who was with me loved this film. We all laughed at the puns, the visual humour, and the good feeling you left the cinema with when it ended. I could easily see why it was such a huge box-office success in France. I am planning on buying the DVD, so I can see it again and laugh at all the bits I missed as I was laughing so hard the first time.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best comedies of the new millenium.
swinneke8 August 2003
Making a movie about a Comic is hard to do. Making a good movie about a Comic is extremely hard to do. Making a good movie about Asterix & Obelix has been done.

This movie shows that the french do know how to make an : a) funny , b) hilarious , c) beautiful , d) superb movie. The acting is no less than superb , the sunny feel to the whole movie is perfect .. A MUST see ! This just has to be the funniest thing to come out since we started the new millenium.. 10/10
45 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The French are getting the hang of it!!
Jean-Louis van Halderen27 September 2002
Wow! the French are really getting the hang of it. If we look at their first Asterix movie we see a good story with nice actors (especially thanks to Gerard Depardeu)but very lame special effect. In a fantasy story like Asterix Special Effects are really important. Well.. they did it right this time! It looks terrific. I personaly think Mission Cleopatra is the best Asterix story ever written. In the movie there's not one moment you're bored. Go and watch this! One thing! they didnt go exactly by the script which I think is a little bit pittyful. For example, In the comic Obelix breaks the nose of the Sphinx, immediatly all the little storekeepers start breaking of the nose of their miniature Sphinx. (really funny to see)..Well they didnt put it in the movie, instead they burried the nose under the Sphinx. Asterix: "They will never look for it here" (guess again). Was funny but not as good as the original. Another thing i disliked about the movie was their choice for music. It maked the film to childies. But never the less... It's a must C!

Grz Da Jean Holland
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
they're crazy those Romans!
dbdumonteil23 November 2002
In 1995, the movie "le hussard sur le toit" was released and it had a record; it was the most expensive movie ever made. This record was beaten seven years later with this film. But once again, this enormous budget was worth to be spending. Alain Chabat controls perfectly the huge incomes to his disposition (for example, sceneries are carefully restored and the crowd movements are wide) and he succeeds in recreating the fanciful atmosphere of the Astérix'albums. His making is very inventive, full of clever visuals and ringing brainwaves. Moreover, he doesn't only emphasize on the special effects of the movie and this was one of the faults of the first Astérix' film made by Claude Zidi in 1999. On the other hand, what a casting! It's very similar to the Sacha Guitry's film "si Versailles m'étais conté" and you can have fun by guessing which actor epitomize which character of the album "Astérix et Cléopâtre". As far as Christian Clavier and Gérard Depardieu are concerned, they're better managed than in the Zidi's film: they don't ham it up and are more credible in their respective roles even if Depardieu isn't fat enough. The other actors are excellent, (especially Gérard Darmon) rightly chosen even the minor actors in whom Chabat grants a big importance. Nevertheless, this one doesn't fit in the Caesar's role: he is a bit listless and not authoritarian enough. At last, let's notice that the characters' names are successful and funny puns (Menubestofplus, Numérobis, Itinéris), but they're only easily understood for French people. At the end, a successful adaptation of the Astérix's comic strip on the screen and a pleasant entertainment.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Best French Movie ever
thesummer_ismagic26 October 2003
With a joke per line, they succeeded in making a very funny movie and keep the essence of the comic books. The actors (Jamel Debouze in particular) are hilarious and play their charactors very well. Of course you need a very good level of french to understand all the jokes but they're worth the classes if you really want to have a good laugh!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Most intelligent movie ever!!! (French Speaker)
Mustangjp11 February 2005
This film is the smartest comedy I have ever seen, a lot of jokes are either a parody of another film, (from star wars to dragon ball to power rangers to kung fu etc..) or somehow related to history of whatever, (Otis creates the elevator), a lot of jokes are also related to the modern world and made fun of because it was B.C. (Like the wheels of the horse wagon spinning) Other jokes are just plain total non-sense but also hilarious (like the famous scene, with the dog running after the roman guy with the little music) In fact in this movies they mix pretty much every kind of humor. I watched this film 6 times already and every single time I watch it I find other subtle jokes. (like the scene where waldo is part of the Egyptian crowd). It is the funniest movie I have every seem, finally a laugh-out-loud comedy, that doesn't include toilet or sex humor. Numerobis is also what makes the movie, everything that comes out of that guys mouth is hilarious. This movie is nearly perfect except a few clichéd thing, like the fact that Asterix gets his power back because he is kissed, that is plain stupid. But overall an excellent movie!! 9.5 out 10
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Just Brilliant
Amy Edwards4 March 2015
Usually when comics are adapted into movies, the result is often deceiving at the end. But some made exceptions and this one is among them.

This movie is irreverent and incredibly hilarious from the beginning to finish. It had been a long time since I haven't so much laughed while watching a movie. Alain Chabat, who is best known for his spoofed side, succeeded to insert his delirium while respecting the main frame of the original comics. There are some very well thought jokes which took me by surprise and immediately provoked an irremediable burst of laughter like for example the Lobster scene which is so unexpected and hilarious or the Raft of Medusa which get the same reaction.

The casting is also great and very enjoyable to watch. Each of the characters are well tuned and work with harmony with each other in every scene. Again Alain Chabat created some characters which featured the mainframe but get updated to this nowadays era like Caius Ceplus starred by Dieudonné (Understand Caius Idontknow), A Darth Vader like centurion who is unable to remember any names of the people he met or Itineris starred by Isabelle Nanty (Which is also the name of an older cell phone service network provider well known for its network issues), an Egyptian woman with deep gloomy blue eyes who designated herself as the spokeswoman for her workmates and has several issues transmitting messages. Gerard Depardieu and Christian Clavier starred again as Obelix and Asterix and the chemistry between the two is evident. Christian Clavier is the perfect Asterix by the way and was never matched by his successors in the two other sequels who never succeeded to transmit the magic and funny aspect of the little Gaulish warrior. T Don't miss also the pirates who are funny as hell in the four scenes when they appeared

This is definitely a movie to see in its uncut version if you're looking for a great moment surrounded by your family.
Surprisingly entertaining
TheLittleSongbird21 July 2010
This review is for the French version, the less about the Miramax version the better. Asterix and Obelix:Mission Cleopatra is surprisingly entertaining and worth a watch most definitely. The story may be a tad slight and a pacing a little uneven, but it is very funny and charming. Why exactly? Well, the scenery is exquisite, much more lavish than Take on Ceasar(this film is better than Take on Ceasar as well I think), and the script is very humorous. And the acting is fine, the standouts being Gerard Depardieu as Obelix and Monica Belucci as the beautiful, vivacious Cleopatra. In conclusion, entertaining and worth watching. 8/10 Bethany Cox
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The French like this movie very much. It's a hit.
rabac6919 June 2003
I would say to the foreign people who have seen this movie and who did not understand it that it is normal because it was based on massive plays on words. A person not knowing about the French cultural funny references in this film could not follow all the subtleties. The movie has been a huge success in France and all the actors are well renowned here.
Exclusively French, but Monica is awesome
soringax21 February 2002
You cannot be seeing the same movie if you didn't grow up in France (or spent at least 10 years there, like me). I don't know if it will ever make it outside French cultural borders (I include Belgium and Luxembourg here). You cannot translate its kind of fun - every name is joke (how many people outside Paris would understand the pun in "Couloirdebus", the name of one of the Roman legionnaires ?). However Monica Bel(l?)ucci is so beautiful, I almost forgot to breathe when I saw her.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Incredibly entertaining, far better than the first one, really captures the spirit of the comics
nick2be31 January 2002
I've read every adventure of Asterix and Obelix at least 5 times and I'm also a fan of "Les Nuls" and "Les Robins des Bois" and Jamel so I expected a lot from this movie.... and I finally got satisfied. Unlike the first adaptation of Asterix on the big screen (Astérix et Obélix contre César) which wasn't a real success besides the appearance of Laetitia Casta, this one really captures the spirit of the comic (and we get the beautiful Monica Bellucci). In the first movie the director tried to be too realistic about the time where the story is set and it killed the whole spirit that made Asterix hilarious. In this one all the clothing, the way of talking and everything is identical to Goscinny and Uderzo's work... more, it really stick to the original story with the downside that we know pretty much everything that's going to happen but Alain Chabat gave us a few surprises at the end. I really enjoyed that movie, and everytime that the first sign of boringness starts to appear, Jamel comes in and makes us laugh like crazy. This movie is a big mix of all the kind of humor I really like, and even if maybe it's mixing it too much, I can't help but to like it. So, if you like Asterix and the humor of all these young talents that started in "Nulle part Ailleurs" (a french mix of the tonight show and SNL) go see this movie.
Heavy !
Gregphilip2 February 2002
The film stars Jamel Debbouze who cannot utter one correct word in the whole movie. It's supposed to be funny... I'm telling you, after an hour and a half of `Asterixm' and `Nobelixm', you won't want to get out of the theater, you'll want to set it on fire.

Asterix and Obelix are no longer the lead characters, therefore, Clavier and Depardieu seem to be bored to tears throughout the movie. As for the other actors, well, they're all Canal + material (French private network that produced the movie). Most of them are not even actors. There are a few exceptions like Isabelle Nanty and Claude Rich who turns out to be a better Panoramix than Claude Pieplu In the first movie.

I don't know how the jokes are translated for foreign versions, but since most of them are references to French songs, people, etc., or lousy puns, it'll be a tough job. However, don't worry, even with a bad translation, you're not losing anything.

To give you an idea, Jamel tells some dumb joke at the end to an obviously uninterested girl, and spends like 5 minutes after that explaining why the joke is funny. Ah Ah ! What could hardly be a halfway decent gag, is moreover stretched like an old piece of gum.

There are good points, though, but all related with the incredible amount of money they were given : the images of the desert, the beautiful colors, the breathtaking special effects... Give my butcher the same budget and he'll do just as well.

This movie will probably end up the same way `Asterix and Obelix take on Ceasar' did. In France, the DVD is sold at discount prices because everyone thinks it's not `trendy' enough anymore although, it was also, at the time of its initial release, a `must see' and it's less than 3 years older than this one .

I heard an interview of Jamel saying that he was capable of playing Shakespeare if he wanted to. That's the kind of funny line you wish you'd heard in the movie.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It's a wonderful good movie from France
daniel-3058 January 2003
How could we make a so huge movie with so good special effects into, with a so little budget? This is what I wondered when I first saw the add of this movie. I just could not believe "A movie about Axtérix and Obélix it's going to be rubbish. I said "another movie that tries to look like the real one, a comic strip!". I was sure it might be badly done and every character would not be good in their part. Though, this movie has been one of the best one made by French producer. It's really well done, really well acted and the special effects has been impressive. It's important to know that, it's the bigger French production they have made. furthermore, sorry for all people that don't know speak French. Indeed, there are in this movie a lot of gags that cannot really be translated because most of the time, they are linked to the French language. So, many people will miss a real good funny movie. However, it doesn't means the movie for its story is not as good. It can be watched by every people in the world even without "language jokes". Moreover, this movie make allusion to real historical events that everybody know. Then, I propose to everyone who have not seen this wonderful movie to lend it as soon as it's possible because they will like it, for sure! So, if I had to give a mark on it, it would be 89%. For me, who speak French and live in north America (Quebec), it has been very fun to watch this movie even if it is from Europe. So, I really think it will be the same for every American,Canadian or everyone from anywhere because its real good movie. finally, you get to see it and but the typically French jokes, there is nothing that will disappoint you if you don't speak French, in this movie.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Strongest Of The Asterix / Obelix Franchise
denis88831 August 2015
Everything worked out perfectly in this second part of the Asterix franchise - light tempo, decent camera work, excellent allusions to certain movies, books and facts, breathless delivery, mesmerizing landscapes and after all, the overall impression is here of a definite pleasure and immense satisfaction. All the funny moments, running gags, hilarious anachronisms and deliberate infringements of all logic are scattered so correctly accurate all through the movie that one cannot stop laughing all 2 hours of this fest of a film. This movie by a true merit has taken its worthy place in the list of Second Greatest Sequels, along with awesome Terminator 2 or Aliens. Few comedies are bound to be watched twice, but this one is, and is so by a true right. Watch it with a cuppa, or over a beer, and deeply enjoy this never- ending carnival of laughs, jokes, gags, and sheer fun. 10 out of 10
A Classic
tyrahel0620 April 2010
Once again we have here , a crown master piece of the french comedy .What do you have after gathering the top french comedian all together ? ??? A legendary movie ! but to enjoy it of course you ll probably need to learn french ,and french humour since most of the jokes are hidden in the text and in playing on words .. it s even more hilarious if you know a bit of the background of each actors; like Obelix talking about the sphinx's nose ! like he does in "Sirano de bergerac", or know that Itineris is a french version of "roger" or "bell". This movie is excellent to watch over and over discovering again and agin some new jokes , you can quote with friends ... The graphism and the touch of the movie make it really easy and enjoyable to watch , even for people who don't know anything about Asterix and obelix . it reminds me of "la cite de la peur" even though probably mission cleopatre is a softer and more accessible comedy. I recommend it for anyone who knows french , but this person need to watch it , then look for informations about french culture , then watch it again , and think : "it s even greater than i thought! " . A must see .
Splendid
dkiltz23 September 2003
Eh oui, impossible n'est pas gaulois.

Well paced, highly entertaining film. Pretty good command of the French language and knowledge of modern France (and history) are recommended. I don't think this film really works in any other language. The film is incredibly much better than the previous one (In search of...). Apart from great actors and savvy camera handling it's the wit and firework of allusions, word plays etc. that make for a really great movie. The cartoon vorlage is recognizable but the film is very emancipated. The cost of the film is put to good use. Indeed, all the special effects fit 'naturally' into the movie, you never feel choked by them.

Bref, oui, les 2CVs, ça traîne un peu mais à part cela, Imhotep!

-A neighbour from the other side of the Rhine
Excellent Surreal Humor!
tenekedenios4 February 2002
The second film about the adventures of the Gaulois pair Asterix & Obelix is 10 times better than the first. The humor is great (and irreverant) and the script is well executed taken from the original 1965 comic book by Goscinny & Uderzo. I fell asleep with the first film (although i am a great fan of Asterix) and was reluctant to see this sequel, but i am glad this movie proved me wrong. Excellent comedy for everyone. Highly Recommended!
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Hilarious Asterix & Obelix sequel is even funnier than the first movie!
Oyster-625 March 2002
The second (not animated) movie about the only people still refusing to surrender to the Roman Empire is even more hilarious than the first film "Asterix & Obelix contre Ceasar".

Where the first movie got all the laughs because all cartoon-characters were so perfectly brought to life without losing their cartoonesque identity, this sequel (which is a separate story as are all the comic-books) is even better. Sure, all the ingredients that you find in the first movie and in the comic-books are present again: Obelix is still dying to taste the "magic potion" that gives his other tribe members such enormous powers, Caesar and the rest of the Roman Empire are still enemy number 1, but some new, refreshing elements have been brought to the stage as well.

Not only is setting very idyllic (biggest part plays of course in Egypt) but rather than repeating movie number one, some extras have been added by making all kinds of references to other movies (Bruce Lee etc.). This is all not very new, but the unexpected combination of the known story from the comic-book (with almost the same title as the movie) and references to stuff that has got absolutely nothing to do with Asterix & Obelix really works.

In that way the movie builds further on a tradition by comic-writers Goscinny and Uderzo who didn't hesitate to bring Laurel and Hardy on the stage and even dedicate an entire story to Kirk Douglas.

If all of this doesn't convince you to watch this movie, I'm sure Monica Bellucci playing Cleopatra will....
Hard to Find, but Worth the Wait
JasonLeeSmith5 June 2009
I just managed to find a copy of "Mission Cleopatra," which is not as easy as you would think for someone living in the United States. So far, I have only watched about the first 10 minutes of the film, and I can safely say that I laughed more in those 10 minutes than I did watching the entirety of the *first* live action Asterix movie.

I am watching the dubbed version, and while the dubbing job is a little disconcerting, I have found the movie to be very funny and true to the book. I see that people on here have said that the dubbed version is very inferior to the subtitled version, that may very well be true, and after I watch the subtitled version (also on my DVD) I may have to come on here and alter my review. As it stands, though, I find it to be a very entertaining movie, and it more than makes up for the mess which they made out of the first movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Magnifique - Royal Rumble gets nose out of joint! Asterix rocks/menhirs/obelisks - uh - rules!
Ian Bourne7 May 2009
It is the first time I can recall where an adaptation did exactly like the book... In fact, only jokes were added to the story rather than content blended or removed!

Such as the Egyptian slave Cellularis who had difficulty transmitting, um, communicating, LOL! Or when Tidivinnus was played like a quasi-Sith Lord and got annoyed when the Roman Empire endured a blow, the general ordered for the Empire to..? Ah, watch the movie folks!

I can easily believe that this picture was one of the most expensive in French Cinema History and for my part it was worth it, Depardieux was excellent as the Roman bashing and Boar chomping Obelix. Clavier playing the little indomitable Gaul was perfect and a far cry from his days as the bumbling squire of Jean Reno in "Just Visiting."

The fight-scene between Artifis and Edifis was hilarious and was nice to see the Matrix theme was not borrowed to despoil an otherwise perfect battle!

Redbeard the pirate and his crew almost stole the picture, from scuttling their own ship to being the engine for Otis' (Edifis' Assistant) invention used at the very end.

I understand there's Asterix and the Olympics with many of the same team back, by Toutatis, I plan to view that too!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?