X-Men: Evolution (TV Series 2000–2003) Poster

(2000–2003)

Defied expectations
gears_chatroom_god17 April 2003
Okay, now, I'll be frank. When the first information on "X-Men: Evolution" was released, *everyone* thought it would suck. I did too.

Then, I saw it. And against all expectations, the product was a very, very good show.

There's a way to sum up people's attitudes - those who don't like it are largely those who can't get beyond the fact it doesn't follow the comics versions of the characters. Well, tough noogies, people, it's a different interpretation of the characters, and it's an interpretation that works extremely well. If you let a purist attitude blind you to enjoying them, then it's your loss.

Very few good cartoons have come out of America in the last couple of years, in part as a result of the over-reliance on Japanese animation, which is currently so popular. But of the few quality shows that were made, "X-Men: Evolution" is easily one of them. It's a series with a direction - underlying story threads and sub-plots are all intricately woven together, although sometimes they get a little buried under the focus of the episode, which can sometimes be something as boring as "new kids take jet for joyride."

Many of the characters aren't THAT different from their original selves, anyway, just made a bit younger. Rogue stands out as the character altered the most, but her new goth look is a brilliant take on the character, and a very welcome departure from the "Woe is me, Ah can't kiss anybody!" attitude that we've suffered through in the past. The show's "new" character, Spyke, is really quite needless, though - essentially a P-C version of Marrow (from the comics), he is reduced to a nonentity for much of the season season, because he just doesn't *need* to be there. And say what you will about Nightcrawler, but I just really wish they'd hired an actor who could DO a German accent.

Speaking of voice acting - "X-Men: Evolution" easily scores high points in that area, too (German accent notwithstanding...), with a lot of experienced talent lending their voices to the show. Beautiful animation - that's on a par with, and surpasses a lot of, the current wave of Japanese anime - finishes off the whole package - I swear, this is the only cartoon I have ever seen where *dancing* has been animated so well.

So, that's "X-Men: Evolution." Take it or leave it. But I recommend quite heartily that you take it.
38 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than you thought
thegreatgrundle13 September 2003
A lot of people have been putting this show down, and I'd like to set the record straight. For those who don't know, the show is about the X-men when they were teenagers. The creators probably thought that by making them younger, they could appeal to a younger audience (it's survived 3 years up to this point, so who's to say they were wrong?). And for the most part, this angered X-men "purists", who argued that the series butchered their favorite characters, and that this was an insult to "true" fans. Get over yourselves.

I'll admit, the first season was pretty dull. The writers spent the majority of time introducing new characters (a necessity for a show with such a large, diverse cast). They couldn't develop individual characters very much, or put them into the complex story arcs that the comics are famous for.

But that all changed with season two. Unfortunately, by that time, most older fans had already given up on the series and are missing out on some great stuff. The story has evolved (no pun intended) over the years, and now we're beginning to see some of the classic X-men arcs. With the escalated aggression of Magneto, the rising tension between humans and mutants, and the emergence of Apocalypse, I feel that the series has reached a turning point. The writers are able to explore complex issues such as prejudice and tolerance, while still presenting it from a kid's-eye view. They've reached a new depth that they're now just starting to explore. So give it a shot. Just because these X-men aren't exactly what you're used to isn't necessarily a bad thing. Heck, if they were just going to copy what came before, there would really be no sense in making a new series in the first place.
32 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally the New Mutants or X-Force gets a show!
datdudesketch30 November 2008
That's pretty much what I would chalk this up to. The New Mutants series finally hits the screen. If you read the comics back in the 80's like myself then you know what I'm talking about. Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Boom Boom, amazing!

Plus, it's totally different than any previous series or new one that's out now, in the sense that they didn't regurgitate old stories. The 90's series tried retelling some cool plots but left me yelling at the screen all the time. "That's not how that happened!" "Why'd they do that?!" lol.

X-Men Evo is all original start to finish. Awesome. Think about it. We all want to see some of our favorite tales retold visually but me, I don't want my favs being changed for the sake of cost or director's personal choice (X-men the last stand... ugh).

Evolution also had the best animation ever! Very anime influenced. Some characters like Wolvie were a little exaggerated visually but still very cool looking. Especially season 3 and 4 with Apocalypse. Best rendition of this character I've ever witnessed. He was totally evil. Magneto comes off like a dark shadowy madman, which is so different. No soft old man here. Magnus was vicious and calculating. Perfect!

I couldn't ask for anything more other than bring this one back! It was stopped when it just reached it's peak. So sad. I was ready to see all the things that Xavier seen for the future. (When you see the series finale you'll know what I mean). So...

until Wolverine starts hosting his own cooking show, talk show and reality TV... make mine Marvel.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stands well on it's on
Op_Prime25 November 2000
Sure, it can not compare to the Fox animated series or the hit movie, but Evolution is pretty good anyway. It has an interesting new look for the X-Men. This show brings back the more popular characters and adds some that weren't a major part of the last show. And why should you expect the same character development? This is a NEW show with NEW people behind the scenes. This is a good show, give it a chance.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best X-men cartoon ever!! Claws down!!
Skeletors_Hood2 July 2004
For those that despise this cartoon because it takes liberties, then change the freaking channel, bub, and shut the hell up.

For those who remember the early early days of X-men, they were all teenagers in a school, learning to use their powers to benefit mankind. Well, in comic book continuity, these characters have all grown up, married, divorced, died, betrayed their friends, etc etc etc.

This cartoon went back to the basic principle that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby started out with back in the 60's. And it's revamped itself to fit today's standards and cultural influences. I like to see it as an animated version of the "Ultimate X-Men" title that marvel is producing, which does the same thing of reformatting the story to today's timeline.

And each character in this show is well written to the point that I like them even better than some of their comic book counterparts.

Scott -- we're seeing a leader developing here, but he's still a kid learning to deal with who he is and his place in the world.

Logan -- granted, he's toned down a bit, but he's just as gruff as he is in the comics, and has a better voice than he did in the 90's cartoon.

Kurt -- great interpretation. I always thought Nightcrawler was a little stiff for my liking (given his background), so I love to see him be a party animal, and to be one caught goofing off.

Rogue -- BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG IMPROVEMENT!! I'm sorry purists, but the little Southern belle thing annoyed me to no end! Someone commented that they didn't like this version of Rogue because she doesn't say "Suga." It's called good writing. I like Rogue better as a Goth girl, for one basic reason. Given her power, it would seem to me that she would keep herself isolated and sullen, to ward off anyone trying to get close to her, and the dark depressed goth girl would pull that off, not the friendly southern belle. Plus, it makes her an interesting contrast to Jean and Kitty, who are upbeat popular girls.

Toad -- they took one of the worst characters of comicdom, and made him likable. He works better as a lovable loser, who just can't get a break.

I will also give honorable mention to a couple other characters, like Magneto, who is actually a threatening presence in this cartoon, and Beast, whose transformation in this cartoon makes more sense than in the comics.

The best animated X-Men yet, and it will be very hard to top.
42 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
can't get better
LittleDrummerGirl11 January 2002
This has to be better than the original! I was excited when I heard about this one, and I am a diligent watcher. What other teen girls like Nightcrawler?? *raises hand proudly* I WAS going to think it was just a cheap imitation, but I turned it on one time and I love it.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hope it continues to evolve.
Figaro-827 October 2001
Despite my limited knowledge of X-Men--or perhaps because of it--I love this show. The animation, voices and music are GREAT, and it is not from Japan (no offense to anime fans). I love how Nightcrawler and Beast look. And to those who said that characters like Beast were being ignored, the episode "Beast of Bayville" proves otherwise and also proves that the series is living up to its name and evolving, which takes time. I hope the evolution continues.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First Lame, Then Good, Then Epic
Nicholai6 January 2006
I had the opportunity to watch the first four episodes of this series when they first aired. Seeing all the producers and directors that were from "Batman: The Animated Series" being involved with this show and the superior production quality courtesy of Mook Animation ("Aeon Flux", "Spawn") and DR Movies ("Justice League") that was far superior than the cheesy Akom animation of the early nineties X-Men cartoon provided me with high expectations for this show.

Unfortunately, those episodes were long on the melodramatics and suffered from a poverty of the necessary action. I had to suffer through Scott Summers moaning and whining about his powers, Kitty and Rogue being freaked out by their manifesting powers and their subsequent confrontations with the X-men. But the episode that really made me groan was the one where the Blob is discovered, develops a possessive crush on Jean Grey and I guess turns evil when she rejects him.

What was this, Did "Dawson's Creek" and "X-Men" decide to hook up and have a baby? I wasn't even that much of an X-men fan anyways, never having watched the old nineties cartoon due to number of characters and story lines I had to keep track of. Also, back when "Evolution" premiered, I had "Batman Beyond", "Static Shock" and "Men in Black" to keep me entertained, I didn't need this crap. *Click*

Fast forward three years. "Batman Beyond" and MiB were both cancelled and Static Shock was in a prolonged hiatus, so I was left with practically nothing to watch, so I decided to see a repeat of X-Men: Evolution on Cartoon Network and it happened to be the season two episode "On Angel's Wing." That episode was well crafted to include the ambiguities of being a hero, religious allusions and a kick-butt battle between Rogue and Magneto at the end with a dazzling flight through the New York skylines and landmarks, in a way that reminded me of "Gargoyles". It got me hooked to see the rest of season two which brought about the great reveal of the existence of mutants to the outside world during the finale. Now these kids not only have to live their lives with their powers but now everyone will know them as freaks? Now it's getting interesting.

The series finale that featured the X-Men defeating Apocalypse was the coup de grace of the series which made me wish they made more episodes. I can honestly say that they managed to pull off the impossible during that event. With the half-hearted fare that the TV and cable stations are trying to feed us ("Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island!", "Loonatics Unleased") I miss that series more and more.

**** out of **** stars.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
should be taken independently from the real thing
jasjgm18 October 2003
Although it seems many kids really enjoy and like the series, it should remain a fact that X-Men Evolution is barely an adaptation of the actual X-Men universe (comics & the original animated series). The series itself has excellent cartooning, good music, the characterizations by themselves are good; but they are technically false. I am sure most people really familiar with the X-Men would say that. And yes, the purists should give a chance for a little adjustments, and should keep quiet, but it is disappointing for something which real fans have followed for decades to just be radically distorted (which it is) and turned into something else. Yes, X-Men Evolution is a good animated series, but the best thing to do is to take it INDEPENDENTLY, as in SEPARATE from the real X-Men story line. Treat it as if it were another comic book adaptation. Kids alike will enjoy Evolution, and real fans should just step aside and let it go. However, to those who really want to watch the original, classic X-Men universe, watch the original X-Men animated series (which is not so much for kids, more for the older generations). The cartooning may not be that good, but the stories are classic and true to the comic, and the diverse dramatic world of the mutants, and their intertwining relationships with each other would really be shown. That is the real classic.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rocks!
SyxxNet21 January 2001
Having been familiar with the ORIGINAL X-Men (Angel, Beast, Iceman, Marvel Girl, and Cyclops) and having caught up a bit on the more recent adventures so I wouldn't be a total doofus for the movie, I find this series EXCELLENT!

I like the alternate concept, and the way the series is being handled, even if it doesn't mesh with the comic version. Seeing Kurt Wagner as a girl-crazy teen is hilarious, and his antics with Scott Summers has been the best part of this series. It's nice to see Scott a bit looser than he's ever been portrayed in any previous X-Men project.

The show's music score and title theme simply ROCK!

Here's hoping the ratings warrant this one being around for a long time.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Muppet babies is not a good example of making shows child-friendly
imaad-shahrukh28 February 2015
I can't believe people are in love with this show and are giving it such high scores. The shows is just Marvel's excuse to make shows child-friendly by de-aging the characters to teens. This is unacceptable. When we usually think of X-men, what comes to our mind? Take over the world. Apartheid and Holocaust to mutants by putting them under registration. Futures ruled by the immortal supervillain Apocalypse and robots called Sentinels. Well, in this show, we barely see any. X-men are reduced to teens and are now attending high school. What's the use of them going to Xavier's if they get to go to a public high school. The characters are entirely changed. Wolverine, who is the best X-men character, hardly gets a screen time. Nightcrawler is no longer the Catholic, serious-minded mutant who wants to explore surroundings, but now a teenage prankster. Jean Grey, who is supposed to be an outcast is the popular girl in school. Gambit and Colossus are villains and the villains are terrible. Magneto, who is supposed to be violent, using his magnetic powers to kill is now a manipulator. If that is so, he should not be a ferrokinetic, but a telepath. The Brotherhood are now juvenile delinquents instead of terrorists. Toad, who is supposed to be genius and assisting Magneto is now a weak and brainless prankster. Avalanche is no longer destructive and totally out of character. He behaves more like Rictor. Senator Kelly is no longer the Senator who wants mutants under registration, but now a school principal. The Sentinels are underdeveloped and only get a few episodes. Way to go, X-men Evolution. Because of that people have more similar mutilated shows such as Iron Man Armored Adventures.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utter formulaic garbage
mjkittredge7 December 2011
As a fan of the other X-Men series from the 90s which is amazing and excellent, I was thoroughly disappointed by X-Men (D)Evolution. Why? It is taking a series for teens and adults, and turning it into childish, boring formulaic crap. X-Men kids in high school, and the villain is the principal, oh no! And they fight the same group of enemy mutants, who are also high school students each week. It's absurd, and a horrific insult to a classic, legendary franchise. After all the great plot arcs and challenging topics not dodged and amusing dialogue and well drawn characters with explored back stories from the other X-Men series (1992-1997) I simply cannot watch this Devolution tripe with it's vapid lines, eye roll inducing catch phrases, shallow characters, pointless episodes, and poor animation. It's a disgrace, and an insult to X-Men fans who all deserve better.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Condescending re-imagining of X-Men riddled with clichés and stereotypes.
sasha-tifton24 July 2013
This series is awful and I can't believe how many good reviews it has gotten. Many on IMDb seem to assume that haters of X-Men Evo dislike it because it changed precious characters from their established canon personalities. Now, I have no problem with the re-imagining of characters for a fresh perspective. What bothers me to no end is HOW they were transformed and written.

These were complex, interesting, fleshed out characters in the comics and other mediums, and they have been reduced to the worst stereotypes possible in this animated series. This series was meant to appeal to a younger generation and introduce them to X-Men and the creators seem to think that the only way to do that is by dishing out shallow clichés. Do they honestly think that that is the only way they can relate to younger folk? Do they believe that the younger set cannot understand, empathize or develop interest in characters that aren't formulaic embodiments of every bad cliché associated with social groups like 'goth', 'prep', 'jock', 'the weird foreign students', 'valley girl', etc.? The choices made in developing this show and its characters are nothing short of patronizing to a younger generation who are clearly given less credit than they deserve. They have to endure these unimaginative, one dimensional characters that are an embarrassment to the X-Men franchise. One can only hope they will discover the true depth and richness of the X-Men universe through other mediums.

Not all the characters suffered this sorry fate (e.g. Professor X, who was fine for the most part). There were a few teenage characters who were also fun, though none of them were main characters. However, this characterization of Kitty Pryde was exceptionally annoying. Aside from the fact that the writers seem to have crafted her straight out of a 'How to be a Valley Girl' manual for dummies, her introductory episode was so grating that I nearly stopped watching the series immediately. Stupidly, I did not, and had to endure Rogue's introductory episode as well. The fact that she was a mall goth (a poor choice in itself) was not as bad as the fact that she wasn't even a proper goth (as anyone who has ever been around goth culture - even as a spectator - can attest). She was simply a cardboard cutout based on what most mainstream adults think teenage goths must be. I was never a goth myself but knew a few when I was growing up, and all of them would be embarrassed to have their sub-culture misrepresented in such a superficial and foolish way. It's like the creators decided they needed a token angsty, emo teenager, and so, by default, had to make her a goth, as that was the only bad teenage cliché that fit the bill. Now, if the creators were set on making a show to appeal to teens based on predefined stereotypes, why do they show two varsity jacket clad football jocks straight out of central casting chatting about how attractive Rogue is, and trying to hit on her in her introductory episode? In reality, such boys in high school would not be caught dead with anyone who looked like a freaky mall goth. They would be making fun of her, not discussing how hot she is. The show is insistent on perpetuating paper-thin stereotypes, and yet it fails to follow through logically on their behavior. And if anyone needs a strange foreign student who tries too hard to fit in, resulting in bizarre and often ridiculous behavior (because clearly, we don't have enough of that stereotype in films and television shows today), one need look no further than Nightcrawler.

Jean Grey wasn't too badly depicted but the creators also didn't stray very far from her established Little Miss Perfect, type A persona, so I can't really comment on the way they chose to re-imagine her.

The teenage X-Men weren't the only ones butchered. Characters like Mystique were reduced to one dimensional villains with no discernible deeper motive for half the evil deeds she does. We are just meant to accept that she is a bad guy, and therefore does bad things. No further explanation needed.

These characters are true 'cartoons' rather than well-developed animated versions (reworked or otherwise) of their comic book counterparts. Definitely the worst of any version of X-Men I have ever seen (and this includes The Last Stand movie, which is saying a lot). I kept waiting for the series to get better but I was obviously following a pipe dream.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant interpretation of the xmen story
titch16127 October 2007
I'll try to keep this brief as a lot has been written already concerning what xmen evolution is about. This incarnation is not too dissimilar to the television series 'smallville' in that it focuses more on teenage issues and growing up, but with the added burdens and responsibilities of mutant powers. Rent or buy the DVD, but stick with it. You WILL be rewarded.

This in my opinion is the best made technically (cant argue with the high production values - especially sound) - and in my opinion is the best animation series for the xmen franchise. Imagine the batman series that was so popular, but less dark - but certainly as adult when needed to be. The series get better and better towards the grand finale, so stick with it and I assure you, you'll be hooked. I was a die-hard fan (and still am) of the previous extremely popular animation of xmen. But this takes us back to the beginnings of the xmen characters, but also reminds us what its like not to fit in, and what its like to be part of a family or community. A happy environment to be in and immerse yourself for the most part, but fret not, when it gets serious - it gets serious. Huge battle sequences? You got it. Puts the live action versions to shame. Its characters and stories that this show builds on and utilises. Great voice-over work, great sound just the icing on the cake.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tired of all the bashing, loved it!
AdamantiumSheWolf14 August 2004
First of all, not to be juvenile, but I just wanna' lash back real quick at all those who say this show's stupid (or lame, "a disgrace to the original," pick one.) I've been waiting for this moment... *You* try adapting a mythology like the X-Men and making it fresh, new and relevant to today's youth! Hey, I'm 20 and I love it! I have friends my age who do, too so it's *far* from a "kid's show."

Now, onto my *real* point:

This series had the courage to take on a number of issues, metaphorically, and helped (in some small way) to highlight problems common to youth and suggest solutions.

It was *so* much more than a simple animated series--It said it's okay to be different, be accepted for who you are, things will even out... It spoke of there still *being* heroes in this world, even when things look their worst. It spoke of finding, *using* the power within yourself to be the force of change in this world and make it a better place for *all* to coexist. It has a higher degree of emotional resonance -- on a number of levels!-- than most are willing to give it credit for. Most decry it as immature, watered-down or juvenile if only because it's an animated series. The common feeling is that animated series are for children. As stated above--*NOT*!

I may have to comment again when I can come up with a more coherent response, but in closing, I feel the *original* animated series was a disgrace to *this* one! The original, from what I've seen, had its merits, but it pales in comparison to "Evolution." The art in the original was mediocre at best, and often less than that, while here it is sharp and crisp, and the coloring is masterful. The original "X-Men" animated series often read like nothing more than an "action-soap opera." The plot lines were convoluted, the action sequences overblown and superfluous. Here, the plots are clear and the action pared down to only the necessary battles. More effective all around, I'd say.

In conclusion, give me an hour of XME over four of XMTAS any day of the week. Period.

Regards, and Make Mine Marvel! Logan'sSheWolf
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
if your to young to remember the comics or original series its new to you!
wc33753612 February 2004
i have read one slash review for this series to many, STOP COMPLAINING! IT'S JUST A TV SHOW FOR GOD SAKES!!!!!!!! how bad could it be if Marvel gave it the ok to begin with. anyway, if children watch the show and get into the x-men they will be more inclined to get into the comic's and get the original story, the entire genre will be more likely to fade into complete obscurity over the years if todays children never hear of the x-men. so if you stop watching the series from a completely bias point of view you might actually enjoy it! (for those of you who are reading this and have no idea what i am talking about just watch the show! it's good! of course you cant anymore because it's canceled, so go to amazon.com and buy the DVD's!)
It's a good show.
CrystalStorm14 April 2003
Seeing how many have bashed this show, I decided to give my two-cents in. I had never heard of X-men before Cartoon Network decided to show Evo here in Sweden. Curious, I went on-line to see if it was something. What was explained got me interested, and I started to look up facts on the original comics, particular the first ones. Afterwards I saw Pryde of the X-men, and one of TAS, and accutally decided that I liked Evo better! When it arrived I had no means to see the first episode, or the second as I was away that weekend. But when I did see it, I watched the episode 'Spyke-cam' and decided that I liked the animation. (Rouge's and Kitty's dance went smooth.) Also, I researched about Evan (Spyke.) And found out that he was an Evo-exclusive chara, and stumbled upon an interview with the creator of him. Apparently they wanted Evo to have something unique, so they made Spyke, and from what they says, they didn't know about Marrow. I believe them, because how many X-men/mutants are there in the Marvelverse?! They can't know everything about all of them. Now they also gave the mutants a more likely life.

I mean, if a big institute is opened up in your city and you see almost nothing of those who live there, wouldn't you wonder? That's why it's so good to have the mutants go in a 'normal' school. (How normal it is to have earthquakes without fault-lines, a shape-shifting, blue principal, and prehistoric monsters from another dimension destroying the school dance.) Both Jean and Scott are part of the popular-class people. Pietro is a part of the cute guy-class. Todd is in the, not to be near unless absolutely needed. Kitty is a part of the annoying freshman-class, though she is friend with Jean. Rouge is the loner. (Well until her powers developed.) Kurt is the insecure one. Evan is the joker. And so on, they need to cooperate with the normal teenage problems, be the normal teenager, and handle the evolution of their powers.

One more thing, Logan only came to the institute when the news was talking about strange things in Bayville. When he got there, it's unlikely that he knew that he was gonna be a teacher. But as the student-body where growing in the institute they where in need of more teachers, and Logan's loyalty to the X-men, as well as his friend Chuck(Xavier.) he became the violent, lonesome teacher, that pretends he doesn't like the students, but he wouldn't want them hurt.

I'll give this show 9.5/10.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Taking the original concept and expanding.
atreyu_hibiki24 April 2002
Many reviewers, I've noticed, are bashing this series by comparing it to the previous show and movie.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

The original concept of the X-Men was, "a team of high school-age mutants learns how to effectively control their powers in a world that fears their kind". The fact that "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters" had a student body of five seemed to bother no-one. Over the years, the team became more about superheroics than anything else, and wonderful characters came and went. Most of the new characters were age-matched to the current age of the rest of the team, although some of them were younger, like Kitty.

This series essentially takes the base concept and revisualizes it. It utilizes characters from throughout the comics' timeline, placing them together in a regular high school, with the Xavier Institute as an extracurricular, well, institute. It only utilizes characters that make sense as high schoolers, and uses characters that make more sense as teachers as such.

Thus, Logan (who's essentially ageless) and Ororo (ever the serene commander) become teachers. Hank (the shakespearean Beast) joins them as a teacher in season 2. Kurt, Kitty, Scott, Jean, and Rogue show up in youthful forms. Only Kurt and Rogue were actually "aged down", the others are the ages they were when they first appeared in the comics. Spyke is new, and he was a useful character for a bit, but I don't think he has that much long-range value. To each their own. Kitty (Shadowcat) has never had a good codename, but this is the one to go with if any. The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants went through an equal mix'n'match process, using Toad and Quicksilver from Magneto's, and Blob, Avalanche, and Rogue from Mystique's. It's quite clever in it's usage of known and new characters, too. Everyone has their base personality entirely intact, with room to grow through the series. And they are growing.

All in all, call it "Alternate Universe" and give it an A for well-doneness. Compare it to anything pre-existing and try to connect the storylines, forget it. It's not supposed to. Atreyu, signing off.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Started off shaky, but got better
TheLittleSongbird24 September 2012
X-Men: Evolution may not hold a candle to the 90s series, but on its own merits it is decent. I can see why people dislike it as even on its own terms it does have glaring flaws, but I do think it should be judged on its own rather than being compared all the time. Okay, Season 1 wasn't brilliant, there was a lot of cheesy dialogue, slow and melodramatic story lines, not enough Wolverine, a great character, and too much of Spike, one like Kitty that annoys me to no end, plus Rogue seems bland to me in this series. However, Season 2 was much stronger, the pacing is much crisper, the action scenes are exciting, the writing was a little more intelligent if occasionally still with the odd cheesy one-liner and the stories were much more compelling. The animation is smooth and has some good atmosphere, while the sound effects really add to the adrenaline-rush feel of the action sequences and the music from the catchy intro to the haunting background music is very fitting. There are some good characters too, Xavier is quite likable to me, Wolverine and Gambit are great characters that could have been used more and Magneto is a very threatening presence. The voice acting is on the whole good. The crowning jewel for me was the finale, which was an epic knockout. Overall, shaky start, great end. 7/10 Bethany Cox
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great show, but there could be some minor adjustments...
Taps JR.13 December 2000
I've seen every episode, and I love it. It may not follow the comics, but it's good on its own.

I do think, it would be far better if they dumped the made-for-tv Spyke. He sounds like an eleven year old.

They should also add:

1) Iceman-Robert "Bobby" Drake 2) Beast- Hank McCoy 3) Angel

They were originals...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hate it
sirocco_wind23 September 2002
I hate X-Men Evolution. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I'm a HUGE fan of the X-Men (both comic book and X-Men TAS) even thou I'm from Russia and we don't get too many comic books here. Well any way as I said before I hate it. Don't get me wrong the animation is great but the CHARACTERS are well ARGGGG. X-men evo suffers from the "too many characters with no depth" flaw. A lot of characters seem thrown in for no real reason, because one way or another almost every episode concentrates on the relationship between Jean and Scott. They might as well name it `How Jean Grey and Scott Summers got together'. I think the ONLY episode that I liked was Power Surge 'cause they shown a little more romance between Kitty and Lance (I like them as a couple). And I liked that Bobby/Jubilee hint.

But the most annoying and preposterous thing in the series is ROGUE (and she's my fav person in comics). Monsters, what have you done to her? She's used to be a flirt and now she's well a goth-girl. She doesn't have that sisterly connection with Storm, she has that stupid crush on Cyclops, and she's waayyy too moody (Goths are NOT that gloomy). The only thing I like about her is her outfit except the boots (Well pretty much everybody's boots in the show sucks). Rogue's friend Risty Wilde is much more interesting that Rogue herself. What else can I say except that X-Men Evolution turn up to be an animated version of `Not Another Teen Movie'. You've got your popular jock (Scott, he's pretty popular), your cocky blonde guy (Pietro or Lance, pick one [although Lance is not blonde]), the token black guy (Evan [Storm doesn't count she's an adult]), foreign exchange student (Kurt), the stupid fat guy (Fred "the Blob"), the nasty cheerleader (Jean [she's not nasty and not cheerleader but they made her way to perfect]), the cruelest girl (Mystique [she's an adult but she's a shapeshifter so she can become a girl]). And of course there is Rogue who is both the pretty ugly girl and desperate virgin (lol). All in all that's about it.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This show's getting better and better!!!
TVvuer695 May 2003
I saw the 90's X-Men series which was based on some of the comic books and enjoyed it. Because the Evolution series has the situation set from a different standpoint (with the majority of mutants as high school students), I thought I'd take a look at it out of curiosity's sake. The first season was a little slow with the recruitment of several of the characters into either Professor Xavier's X-Men or Magneto's Brotherhood. But it definitely picked up with the two sides battling on Asteroid M.

Season 2 introduced viewers to Principal Kelly at Bayville High, as well as Hank McCoy who eventually becomes our favorite big blue fellow, the Beast, not to mention Iceman among the new recruits, most of whom still have only minor roles on the show. Of course, the original purpose of the Xavier Institute is to train its students to properly handle their abilities while blending in with normal human society. This however was completely undermined by the evil shape-shifting Mystique who hatched her own plan to expose the X-Men at this season's end.

It's after that point in the series that it's gotten so much better. The X-Men now have to prove they can use their powers for good, while other mutants use their abilities for evil. One of the better episodes where they had to show their mettle was in "The Stuff of Heroes", where the group had to battle Juggernaut, the biggest and baddest of them all. The climactic scene where Cyclops used his full optic blasts against him totally rocked!!! Rogue, after absorbing his immense strength and taking him on was the icing on the cake! Of course, with the public aware of mutants now, the X-Men are shunned and treated as freaks, especially at school. They now have to deal with bigotry and have to refrain from using their powers to fight back, with various degrees of success. Whereas some are able to resist those who pick on them, others are more easily provoked. It's because this series has its heroes blending action between the supervillians as well as the normal people in public and their reactions to the mutants that I think is a much more realistic interpretation that what's seen in the comic books.

I also like the quality of the animation and the special effects aren't as over the top as they were in the 90's series. After all, you really can't see magnetic waves when you link 2 kitchen magnets together, let alone when an electromagnet pulls up scrap metal in a junkyard. This series correctly has Magneto's use of his abilities in invisible form (save for a slight blurring of the picture) and a more proper sound effect whenever he strikes. Another change which I think is better from the 90's series is Rogue. I like her much better without the super strength and ability to fly as if she were Supergirl. I know in the comics, prolonged contact with superhero Miss Marvel caused her to have her powers permanently, which in turn made her more confident and more of a flirt with men. Unlike the 90's series, though, there's much more focus on her actual power of absorption, which much more shows how it's a danger to herself and others. They still managed to keep some of her background with Mystique and bond a little with Nightcrawler, since they're of a certain relation because of the evil shapeshifter.

About my only problems with the Evolution series in comparison to the 90's X-Men series is the lack of focus on adult characters like Storm and Beast. The latter only gets significant time either when he's doing his scientific duties or when his "inner beast" rages out of control on some occasions. Storm gets attention primarily when she's with her nephew Spyke, whether she's training him or giving him some sort of discipline. But she does provide a good parental symbol on the show. Spyke is a pretty good character as he's had to make adjustments to having his abilities, moving to Bayville, and devoting his time to school and his training. In a recent episode, his powers had gone out of his control and as a result has major bone protrusions sticking out from all over his body. With the increased bigotry and overall stress he's had to deal with, he made the choice to join the Morlocks, whose more freakish outward appearances make them more of outcasts than either the X-Men or the Brotherhood. Also a potential upcoming storyline for the series is the potential coming of Apocalypse, as he's had Mesmero manipulate the X-Men and Magneto into opening the doors that will release him from imprisonment. This and Rogue's possible role in this situation (seemingly predicted by Destiny) will most certainly make a good story for the following seasons. X-Men: Evolution is definitely becoming one of the best quality animated series on television.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
X-Men ha more like X-Children
DCfan20 October 2017
I might be the only odd one in the reviews but how is this show so popular? The characters a de-aged but Wolverine, Storm and Professor X are still adults they attend two schools instead of one, Scott constantly stalks Jean in the first episode he was about to use his powers to destroy the door because she wasn't hurrying up. Speaking of Jean why is she supposed to be the popular girl in school and why does Blob have a crush on her. This is the same problem with Lance and Kity.

No offense to Canada but why are they bad at making Marvel shows nowadays like Spiderman unlimited, Fantastic Four worlds greatest heroes and Iron Man armored adventures (Which is not that bad but still bad).

My conclusion 3/10 Watch X-Men 1992 and Wolverine and The X-men instead. Trust me you will be glad that you did and avoid this craphole.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hate to write review that is in part a rebuttal, but...
Guy Incognito19 March 2017
The series' bigger fans seem to be unable to acknowledge that some don't mind the differences from the comics, and just think it's a good show that doesn't do it for them. Let me be clear, I like this series. I haven't watched it all, and that might sway me in some way. But I just can't get into it. The characters and stories are good, but not great. No spectacular arcs, but overall enjoyable and entertaining.

I have an opinion regarding the dissimilarities with the comics: The series is so different that there isn't any reason to use the usual X-Men favourites, aside from money-making. Most audiences will be familiar with the names and faces, but the fans of the characters will find little to grab onto. What I'm saying is that the people behind the series should've built up the courage to just use different or even original characters. Although different interpretations of characters are welcome, there isn't much reason for it. I can also relate to those fans who are even the least bit tired of the lack of attention that this series receives due to the popularity of the '90s series (which is also great, but overrated in my opinion). I would check out Wolverine and the X-Men for a different interpretation that really works well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sucked like Heather hunter
waywardenzien13 December 2005
All of the X-men are ruined in this debacle of a show firstly by having them LIVE AT A SCHOOL THAT THEY DON'T GO TO! Secondly Wolverine and Storm are more of side characters in lame story lines like Spyke (who is a HUGE oreo) being framed for robbing lockers. They don't even face discrimination in this show like in the old one.Nor do they actually fight the bad guys until maybe the second season. Their biggest problem was Mystique being their principal! Oh right like Mystique would get that close to the X-men on a daily basis and not kill them. More importantly Why didn't Prof. X expose her? Even more yet why is this show so Lame assed? 2 out of 10 (nice costumes though)
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this