Nazi Concentration Camps (1945) - News Poster

News

Prince William Hears 96-Year-Old Auschwitz Survivor’s Astonishing Story — and Sees the Badge That Saved His Life

Prince William Hears 96-Year-Old Auschwitz Survivor’s Astonishing Story — and Sees the Badge That Saved His Life
Prince William recalled his visit to a Nazi concentration camp earlier this year as “eye-opening” and “very sobering” when he met an Auschwitz survivor on Thursday.

Visiting the Imperial War Museum in London, William met 96-year-old Freddie Knoller, who survived the Nazi concentration camps at Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen.

Freddie (centre) told The Duke how he was arrested in October 1943 and sent to Auschwitz, the German Nazi concentration camp. pic.twitter.com/57KpoCNCsV

— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) September 28, 2017

William told Knoller and WWII veterans Ted Cordery and John Harrison, “Catherine and I were in Poland earlier this year, we had a very eye-opening tour around Stutthof camp.
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

Sean Spicer, Citing Selfie Requests, Reportedly Thinks He’s Worth More Than Customary $30K Speaking Fee

Sean Spicer, Citing Selfie Requests, Reportedly Thinks He’s Worth More Than Customary $30K Speaking Fee
Sean Spicer allegedly thinks his new gig on the private speaker circuit is going to be very lucrative.

News broke Tuesday that the former White House press secretary has signed with Worldwide Speakers Group, a professional services firm with a roster of paid talent that includes former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren.

Although the company declined to say how much Spicer would be paid per speech, the 45-year-old reportedly met with another agent before signing with Worldwide Speakers Group — telling the agent he was worth more than the $20,000 to $30,000 going rate given for speeches by
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

Sean Spicer Lands His First Post-White House Gig—On the Paid-Speeches Circuit

Sean Spicer Lands His First Post-White House Gig—On the Paid-Speeches Circuit
Sean Spicer has a new gig. And contrary to some recent rumors, it’s not on Dancing with the Stars.

The 45-year-old former press secretary, Politico reports, has signed with Worldwide Speakers Group, a professional services firm that provides keynote speakers to corporate, trade, education, and commercial clients worldwide.

“Audiences around the world will benefit from the same candor, wit and insight that Spicer brought to the White House briefing room,” the group wrote of Spicer, in a promotional notice obtained by the political news outlet.

It’s only been five days since President Donald Trump‘s first press secretary officially left the White House,
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

Pink Wears 'Wake the F--- Up' Ribbon During MTV VMAs Performance, Plus More Political Style Statements

Pink Wears 'Wake the F--- Up' Ribbon During MTV VMAs Performance, Plus More Political Style Statements
This year’s MTV VMAs show was full of political messages. And wasn’t just what you saw on TV — it started on the red carpet.

First, Catfish host Nev Schulman chose to wear a yellow Star of David patch on his blazer — a reference to the yellow stars Jews across Germany and Nazi-occupied Europe were forced to wear to signify their faith — as a statement against the growing neo-Nazi and white nationalism movement.

This comes just several days after Billy Joel did the same thing, donning yellow Star of David patches on his label and back during a performance at N.
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

Billy Joel Wears Yellow Star of David at New York Show Amid Rising Neo-Nazi Activity

Billy Joel Wears Yellow Star of David at New York Show Amid Rising Neo-Nazi Activity
Billy Joel made a strong statement against the growing neo-Nazi and white nationalism movement on Monday night, taking the stage at New York’s Madison Square Garden wearing a yellow Star of David.

The 68-year-old hitmaker, who was born to Jewish parents and describes himself as culturally Jewish, donned the patch on both the lapel and back of his suit blazer — a reference to the yellow stars Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust.

It was a surprisingly political statement from Joel, who previously told Rolling Stone that he found being lectured about political views at a concert to be a turnoff.
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

How 'The King of Comedy' Proved Jerry Lewis Was a Great Actor

How 'The King of Comedy' Proved Jerry Lewis Was a Great Actor
By the late 1970s, Jerry Lewis was becoming perilously close to being a has-been. After decades of celebrity – first in his successful partnership with Dean Martin, then later on his own as the star of comedies like Rock-a-Bye Baby and as the auteur behind epochal hits such as The Nutty Professor – the gifted comic filmmaker and host of the annual Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy telethon started experiencing a series of stumbles. He shelved his much-ballyhooed drama The Day the Clown Cried, about a German clown living in the Nazi concentration camps,
See full article at Rolling Stone »

Sean Spicer Resigns as White House Press Secretary

Sean Spicer Resigns as White House Press Secretary
Sean Spicer has resigned as President Donald Trump‘s press secretary the same day the White House made its pick for the administration’s new communications director, according to The New York Times and other outlets.

The long-embattled press secretary told Trump he strongly disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci to fill the job of communications director, according to the Times. Spicer had been doing double duty as press secretary and acting as White House communications director since Michael Dubke resigned in May.

The Washington Post reports that both Spicer and White House chief of staff
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

You Have to See These Stunning WWII Veteran Portraits Captured by a California Photographer

You Have to See These Stunning WWII Veteran Portraits Captured by a California Photographer
Zach Coco is a man on a mission — and time is not on his side.

The California-based photographer wants to photograph and interview as many surviving WWII veterans as he can.

Through his non-profit Pictures For Heroes, Coco travels around the country with money raised on GoFundMe to meet and honor hero men and women.

“What I’m learning about the war and about our country in the past 100 years is so inspiring,” Coco, 30, tells People. “Most of them were teenagers at the time and every time I learn about their life history it sounds like a movie script.

“This
See full article at PEOPLE.com »

‘Five Came Back’: How the Story of Hollywood Directors In World War II Became a Great Netflix Series

‘Five Came Back’: How the Story of Hollywood Directors In World War II Became a Great Netflix Series
Entertainment journalist Mark Harris followed up his well-reviewed 2009 “Pictures at a Revolution” with an even better and more accessible book, the dramatic story of five top Hollywood directors and their roles in producing WWII propaganda films, told over 500 pages: “Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War. The first book was doomed not to become a movie due to prohibitive clip costs. But the urge to open up Harris’s exhaustive research on “Five Came Back” via dramatic documentary shorts shot in the global arena was irresistible — and they were free.

Read More: ‘Five Came Back’ Review: A Cinephile’s Dream Documentary Becomes Enthralling for Everyone on Netflix

There’s plenty of rich footage to choose from: Frank Capra’s “Why We Fight” propaganda, John Huston’s re-enacted “The Battle of San Pietro,” John Ford and William Wyler’s live footage of the D-Day invasion from sea and air,
See full article at Thompson on Hollywood »

‘Five Came Back’: How the Story of Hollywood Directors In World War II Became a Great Netflix Series

‘Five Came Back’: How the Story of Hollywood Directors In World War II Became a Great Netflix Series
Entertainment journalist Mark Harris followed up his well-reviewed 2009 “Pictures at a Revolution” with an even better and more accessible book, the dramatic story of five top Hollywood directors and their roles in producing WWII propaganda films, told over 500 pages: “Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War. The first book was doomed not to become a movie due to prohibitive clip costs. But the urge to open up Harris’s exhaustive research on “Five Came Back” via dramatic documentary shorts shot in the global arena was irresistible — and they were free.

Read More: ‘Five Came Back’ Review: A Cinephile’s Dream Documentary Becomes Enthralling for Everyone on Netflix

There’s plenty of rich footage to choose from: Frank Capra’s “Why We Fight” propaganda, John Huston’s re-enacted “The Battle of San Pietro,” John Ford and William Wyler’s live footage of the D-Day invasion from sea and air,
See full article at Indiewire »

Captivating Trailer for Netflix's Doc Five Came Back Focuses on How WWII Changed Hollywood

Netflix has released the trailer for a fascinating new three part documentary called Five Came Back. It focuses on how World War II changed Hollywood and features directors like Steven Spielberg and Guillermo del Toro diving into this subject matter.

Netflix put out an extensive press release with tons of details on what the doc will entail and I'm completely captivated by the film's subject matter. I love the history of film and the history of WWII and seeing a doc focusing on how these two things affected each other is film geek candy! Here are the additional details:

The movie is an adaptation of the book Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War written by Mark Harris. It's tells "the extraordinary story of how Hollywood changed World War II – and how World War II changed Hollywood, through the interwoven experiences of five filmmakers
See full article at GeekTyrant »

Five Came Back trailer: unmissable for classic film nerds

Tony Sokol Simon Brew Mar 1, 2017

How the big directors of the 1940s were drafted in to make films for the American military in World War II...

World War II's battles were fought on the battlefields, but also there was, as you probably know, a sizeable propaganda effort too. Major American film directors were involved in the war effort, making propaganda films. for the Us military. This story was wonderfully told by Mark Harris in his terrific book, Five Came Back. And now Netflix has a three-part documentary based on his work heading our way. And a trailer has just been released.

See related Prime Suspect prequel on its way Celebrating Jimmy McGovern's Cracker Endeavour series 4 episode 4 review: Harvest Inspector Morse 30th anniversary: the top 10 episodes

In the series, directors such as Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro, Paul Greengrass, Lawrence Kasdan and Steven Spielberg discuss the great generation of the 1940s,
See full article at Den of Geek »

‘Five Came Back’ Trailer: Netflix and Steven Spielberg Reveal The True Story of WWII Filmmakers Who Served With Cameras

  • Indiewire
‘Five Came Back’ Trailer: Netflix and Steven Spielberg Reveal The True Story of WWII Filmmakers Who Served With Cameras
As creators today find themselves questioning just what impact their work can genuinely have on the world, Netflix reaches to the past for an example of great filmmakers who risked their lives to make a difference. “Five Came Back,” a three-part documentary series set to premiere March 31, spotlights the legendary directors of 1940s Hollywood who went to the front lines of World War II to document what they saw.

Read More: Steven Spielberg’s Strange History With ‘Cruising’

Helping to tell the wartime stories of John Ford, William Wyler, John Huston, Frank Capra, and George Stevens are some modern-day legends. Spotlighted in the trailer below are interviews with Steven Spielberg, Paul Greengrass, Guillermo del Toro, Lawrence Kasdan and Francis Ford Coppola. Meryl Streep steps in to narrate.

Written by Mark Harris (adapted from his book) and directed by Laurent Bouzereau, the series digs into the legacy of documentary work created
See full article at Indiewire »

Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro, and Steven Spielberg Impart Film History in ‘Five Came Back’ Trailer

One of the more popular film-related books of the last few years is Mark HarrisFive Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War, which recounts the experience directors John Ford, William Wyler, John Huston, Frank Capra, and George Stevens had heading to war and then returning to Hollywood to make some of their greatest films. In a welcome surprise only recently revealed, the book has now been turned into a three-part series on Netflix and it’ll arrive next month.

Featuring narration from Meryl Streep and interviews with Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro, Steven Spielberg, Paul Greengrass, and Lawrence Kasdan, the first trailer has arrived. Judging from this preview, it looks to be a rousing documentary capturing this crucial time in cinematic history and the world at large. Directed by Laurent Bouzereau, he and his team pored through 100 hours of archival and newsreel footage
See full article at The Film Stage »

See also

Showtimes | External Sites


Recently Viewed