Dragon Tales (TV Series 1999–2005) Poster

(1999–2005)

There's yet hope for children's TV
david-3452 May 2001
I grew up on the original Sesame Street back in the 1970s. It's a real shame to see how far the series has fallen from it's glory days, therefore I was very skeptical when I heard that the Children's Television Workshop was working on a new series. I figured it would be as poor as the Sesame Street has been for the last 15 years. I couldn't have been more wrong, Dragon Tales is an absolutely charming series that little ones and even their parents will enjoy greatly. Dragon Tales is filled to the bursting point with cute (yet in no way obnoxious) characters and lots of singing and dancing. I have to make a confession, I often times whistle the "Bet You Can" song when I mow the lawn!

Fans of the classic CGI series "Reboot," will get a kick out of hearing some very familiar voices. Kathleen Barr is on hand (I'm sure she sings some of the songs), as is Andrea Libman. But the most familiar voice is that of Shirley Millner, Hexadecimal herself as Doctor Boo Boo Gone. It's amazing to hear the same voice of crazy Hex coming out the mouth of the kindly old Doctor. She truly is a talented voice actress.

Dragon Tales proves that there may yet be hope for quality children's programming on television.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kids 3-5 love it
subspace30 March 2001
Dragon Tales is the kind of show that grabs most kid's attention and holds it for the duration. The show attempts to teach things like courtesy and empathy while the main characters have adventures in a fantasy world where dragons are the norm and children are rare, exotic creatures. Voice work is nice and the general look and feel of Dragonland is nice. Though the animation is not outstanding, I doubt kids notice or care how many frames it takes for a scene fade. I can't believe the other user comment I read that totally puts down the show. I'm sure most adults would find little entertainment value in a show that targets such a young audience, but that says nothing about the quality of the show for young kids. If you're looking for something clean and light for your toddler (and up), Dragon Tales is a great choice.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a great show for three/four year olds and parents!
Hattrick-215 December 2000
This is a show that stresses problem solving for young children. A six yr. old girl and her four yr old brother travel with the help of a dragon scale to a Dragonland and interact/play with four young dragons. The dragons' teacher helps direct them when they are having difficulty with their challenges. The music is fairly repetitive, and can be a bit much for parents, but it is great for kids. This show is a nice change from much of the programming aimed at these kids.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful dragons that teach kids how to get along.
PBS Kidvid31 August 2000
These beautiful dragons who have been co-designed with Ron Rodecker, famous dragon artist, teach children how to get along. My favorite episode is #133A "Not Separated At Birth" In this one Zak and Wheezie disagree with each other so much that they separate- with the help of magic crystals.

My only vice: Throughout season 3, there was a recurring theme that was repeated throughout several episodes- following directions. Guess the writers got sick and tired of people not following directions.

The show is set in Dragonland, a continent of some size on a different world, possibly a different dimension. [the writers are careful not to ruin the backplot] Emmy and Max find a dragon scale in their new house's playroom, which transports them to this peaceful magical place, and they've been going there since.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is a nice children's series
grantk30 March 2001
Another reviewer seems to dislike or not understand children's television. There are so many shows today showing unpleasant and inappropriate behavior to our children, even under the guise of Y7 rated shows. Most of the cartoons on Toon Disney, for instance, revolve around the hero of the show defeating bad guys, who almost universally do and say mean things to the hero or other innocent people. I dislike my children watching these shows, as they don't need to be exposed to that kind of mean behavior influence. Yes, the hero always wins, but I'm not sure the kids always understand that almost everything the bad guy says is something that they should not say. On Dragon Tales, the themes usually include a problem that requires teamwork to solve, and always have a nice ending. I have never had problems with my kids emulating a bad behavior from that show.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a great show for three/four year olds and parents!
Hattrick-215 December 2000
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful, insightful children's programming.
muttley_simone16 February 2002
Dragon Tales is a gift from a loving deity. All I have to do is pop the DVDs in, and my 2 year old gives me and my wife time to ourselves. The shows are cute, funny, and teach children how to share, how to cooperate, and how to face their fears. This show ranks second only to Sesame Street.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love it!
Racetracks_Main_Girl1 January 2008
I do not know why so many people flame this show. it is for little kids, and little kids seem to enjoy it. let them, and maybe you can get out of the room and go read a book while your child or sibling enjoys this wonderful children's show. I always thought it was canceled, but it is still going, and i want to watch it every day, but i am at school when it is on. Well, that really really sucks. but on my vacations, 10 am is my Dragon Tales time. And BTW, i am 15.

first, it's super cute, although the animation is a little lacking, and it teaches really great lessons, for kids and adults who don't mind little kid shows. the songs are a little addictive, but they're fun, and if your kids like it, then what the hay? let them watch it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As Weezie would say: I LOVE IT!!!!!
barrionettebabe13 October 2001
"I wish, I wish, with all my heart to fly with Dragons in a land apart!"

I love Dragon Tales! It's the best show on PBS. I watch it all the time with my kids and they love the songs. The songs do get stuck you your head but hey that's better then listening to the 'Teletubbies!'

I'm also glad that they added new characters to the show.

"I wish, I wish, to use this ride, to go back home until next time."
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Satisfactory
Lho332337022 October 2001
I watch this show when I wake up in the morning and in the afternoon. Emmy and Max have a good way of transportation to Dragon Land. A shade of green comes up when the dragons need Emmy and Max, So they open the chest and say I wish I wish with all my heart to fly with dragons in a land of heart. They play Dragon Tunes as well. At the end they say I wish I wish to use this rhyme to go back home until next time. It is like the dragons have magic.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harmless fun
super marauder28 October 2001
As an adult, I can't honestly say that this is the greatest piece of art that was ever made! But, my kids enjoy it. It's harmless fun that little kids can enjoy, and parents can rest assured that there is nothing bad in it. My kids like, it's "safe", and that's good enough for me
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why does Ord whine so much? He needs kid boot camp...
--TBone--3 December 2000
My 2 year old is hooked on Dragon Tales (along with Blue's Clues). I really don't get exactly why. Visually, it's not that appealing. He's 2, so the storyline isn't relevant. Maybe it's a color scheme? I think the stories and general message of the show are great. Hopefully it will have some value to him if he is still into the show in a year or so. I do know this...he sits through the entire episode. Occasionally he will laugh. The other night we were watching the tape when the kid in the cartoon, Max, is trying to bang notes on a toy xylophone with some flowers!?! They then shatter (for no apparent reason). My kid cracks up, full belly laugh with tears in his eyes. I'm laughing with my kid while he is enjoying himself over this weird, somewhat unfunny scene. I have to say that I would have laughed at this on my own because it was odd that fresh cut flowers would shatter (with full glass shatter sound effects). Anyway, if the kid likes it, I like it. Positive stories. A little weird and a little lame for adults but let the kids decide what they like. Think of the stuff we made OUR parents sit through....oh ya, pal...it's payback :) Tbone
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
braichu391815 August 2000
I am 13.5 years old and I still watch it. The show is so cute! This is only my personal opinion, so don't flame me for anything I say. Also, don't think that I am stupid because I'm not. It's just me that I like this show.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
better than altered states
elle ko9 July 2008
first, the characters get along much better than characters in the aforementioned movie. in fact, they get along great by treating each other with care and respect.

references to retreating into one's bedroom and opening a special box with one's closest allies is indeed an important perspective. increasing one's capacity to get along with others, bonding (share more deeply,) are major goals of the act, which went largely ignored in the 90s with the cultural reaction to the attitudes of the 80s (grunge, apocalyptic thoughts etc.)

contrasting with times in altered states/ imaginary realms, often, what happens outside of those times are not within a child's (or person's) control. should the goal of that act of imagination be isolating oneself from others, or to seek more meaningful relationships? dragon tales points to the latter; and for that, commendable.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Max and Emmie are being brainwashed by dragons.
jayjayjoop7 December 2003
The children, Max and Emmie, seem to have no friends besides the imaginary dragons they visit. There's never really any reference to them interacting with HUMANS, except for the occasional "Max, Emmie!" call from their Spanish-accented mother. It would be very sad if there were really kids like this, constantly trapped in their play room and pretending to visit a magical dragon kingdom.

The show isn't even clever. The "lessons" they try to incorporate are stupid and unrealistic. And couldn't they even come up with better names for things than dragonflower, dragoncat, dragonbread, etc.?

One last thing. I for one think it is disgusting that Ord is constantly pulling all sorts of things out of his "pouch". He'll reach down into his stomach and pull out a whole birthday cake or a ball. It's disturbing.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It`s blood thirsty singing dragons
Darth_Voorhees27 May 2000
This is stupid.The kids get attached to this.And it is so stupid.It does`nt make any bit of sense.And the stupid songs get in your head for hours.I wish to use this rhyme to go back home until next time Bla Bla Bla!!!! God! It is another of channel 11`s Let`s make life perfect shows.Don`t watch this unless you have the nut house`s number .
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What the hell?
bigben526 July 2004
Guuuuuuaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.....

I don't know about you, but I feel as if my IQ level has dropped after watching this "kids" show. To make matters worse all of the characters in this story are dumb and retarded.

Emmie and Max are dumb, can we please have an episode where they don't go to see the dragons? Maybe we could go to the mall, or the park or go play with some of our other friends but nooooooooo let's go inside our imagination to see the dragons. Whenever there's a problem, they always escape to see the dragons, it sort of makes for kids who'll grow up doing drugs some day.

And what the hell is with those dragons, anyway? Why are Zak and Wheezie joined together? Why are they happy about it? I'm sure there are kids wondering how in the world they got potty together. Orb is also dumb as hell just pulling things out of his pouch. "Oh no, looks like it's raining, looks like we could use an umbrella...huh,huh,huh".

I know what you're thinking: "if you hate it so bad, then why watch it?" Well, truth is I don't but my baby cousin does. And so whenever I'm over most of the time she's watching it.

Still this is right up there with Teletubbies as the dumbest kid's show ever.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Max and Emmie are being brainwashed by dragons.
jayjayjoop7 December 2003

5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like many PBS shows these days . . .
foecke14 January 2001
. . . this one is fairly stupid but spellbinding for little kids. Unfortunately it perpetuates some stereotypes, such as Ord being big, dumb, and funny-talking. It also teaches kids that 1) every single problem is temporary and can be fixed as good as new (with magic) and 2) it is just fine to disappear from the house at will and not tell the parents. Every time the kids get bored, they say "lets go to Dragon Land!!", like it's some kind of drug. And where are the parents? They only are heard yelling from downstairs when there is a noise in their room or it is time to eat.

This one also followed the "Arthur" lead and made the show two-12 minute stories separated by a nonsensical intermission. As if kids these days needed another reason to have a short attention span. Make it 25 minutes and build a little complexity to the plots.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something just has to be said... Again
arh-5174928 February 2017
Honestly, I loved this show when I was little. My favorite episode was the camping one. I don't know why people think there's a reference to drugs in it. And also, is a kangaroo's pouch disturbing? OK, maybe there is a slight continuity error in there, but still! And for all we know, it could be like Narnia! They go to another land, but hardly anytime passes.
Let's All Go To Dragonland
zsofikam11 August 2016
Dragon Tales stars two siblings named Emmy and Max who move to a new house with dragon wallpaper in the playroom. They discover a dragon scale in one of the drawers, which takes them to a place where they can play with and interact with dragons and befriend big blue Ord, shy smart pink Cassie, and conjoined twins Zak and Wheezie. I personally have always found Wheezie to be pretty fun (sometimes I quote the "love it" thing), but everyone else is pretty cool as well. The songs between each episode, while not masterpieces, are quite catchy and fun for the kids. As an added bonus, it's perfect for kids in the process of moving, especially the first episode and the episode To Fly With A New Friend and Room For Change, since the whole premise of the series is Max and Emmy discovering how to get to Dragonland after moving to their new house. The season 3 episode To Fly With A New Friend also features the idea of moving by introducing Enrique, who moved from Colombia (it's never stated within the show but I assume that Max and Emmy live in America when they're not in Dragonland). In Room For Change, Cassie has to switch rooms because some new eggs will soon add to her already massively numbered siblings. She is at first reluctant to move to her new room but discovers something special inside. Points also go to great side characters like Quetzel, Quetzel's brother, Enrique, Lorca, Cassie's siblings, Mungus the giant, Sid Sycamore, Cyrus, Eunice the unicorn, Mr Pop, Miss Tibbs, the Nodlings, Polly Nimbus, Dr Booboogone, and Celeste. If I were to name any flaws, they're that Ord's whining gets a little grating after a while but not enough to render the show unwatchable, and the later episodes lack the magic of the earlier ones. Overall, I'd say that this is a sweet sweet series that I would recommend to anyone with any imagination whatsoever.
Now I Remember :'D
Marzmay3 January 2015
Some weeks ago I saw the screenshots of two kids holding a rainbow-y stone in twitter, making a wish. Suddenly, I remembered that I used to watch the cartoon, but I can't remember its title. But today, while I browse an animation list, I found this and can't be much more glad, and I was like, "whoa" for a while.

Wow. What a childhood memory. It is a very sweet cartoon. I love the fact that it had no violence at all, and one thing that really made me like the cartoon so much was the colourful stone. I know kids like it when there's is something to cherish in their possession. Something that looks so valuable, and nice, and also the kind of thing that you can ask from.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly and poorly made show with obnoxious cheerleader quality!
akz20923 December 2008
My daughter loves it, but she is under 3. I can barely watch the show, because: 1. The animation is extremely primitive by all standards. 2. Why do those kids have strange head to body size proportions? It makes them look like almost all of them had a vitamin D deficiency in their childhoods. 3. Why do all the characters and creatures in dragon land have to have names or titles with dragon as the prefix? 4. The show is overly cheerful and boring, dragons are overly anthropomorphized and have no personality, and music is overly repetitive and simple. 5. Although the messages this show sends are positive, the poor execution makes them intolerable. I was surprised to find out that Dragon Tales is the product of the Sesame Street Workshop. Very disappointing... I wouldn't necessarily recommend switching to cartoon network as opposed to the suggestions from some of the viewers. I don't find cartoon channel appropriate for immature audiences, and it teaches children poor taste and terrible manners, but if you watch PBS or PBS sprout channel, try to avoid Dragon Tales, unless you want to raise unsophisticated simpletons with no personality.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dear God! They're dragons, so why aren't they eating those children!
filmbuff-362 June 2000
Ugh! It's the 90's answer to My Little Pony! Cute little children are magically transported to a cute fantasy world populated with (you guessed it!) cute dragons! It damages the brain to even think about it! I mean, just when you think PBS couldn't sink any lower, along comes this! Don't ever, ever, ever ever ever watch this. Trust me, you will live a better life never having experienced this cute, sick joke.

Basically, to put it bluntly, you will lose all respect for decent dragon related books, movies or television shows if you encounter this show.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A flawed, but long forgotten children's series from PBS
I remembered watching this as a little kid back at the 90s when it was released on PBS, my all time favorite channel on TV and I've always loved it ever since, but a few years have passed and I've seemed to have forgotten it after all these years.

However, that doesn't take away the fact that I loved it so much. The premise is very decent (two kids (along with their friend in the third season of the show) use a magical pearl to transport themselves to a fantasy land with talking dragons and learn some valuable lessons about sharing, caring, and being nice to people while having some creative adventures). The characters are enjoyable and so cute. Max and Emmie are appealing, Kassie, the pink dragon, was so cute and her lines are great while Zak and Wheezie are hilariously likable. Even Wheezie's "Love it!" was very funny. The only character that didn't hold up for me was Ord, the blue dragon. He was very endearing in the first season, but at the second and third seasons, his whining was very irritating.

On the bright side, the music is very charming. The theme song was so catchy, but not in an irritating way. The stores are very easy to following in the first two seasons, but in the third season, it becomes repetitive by repeating the same formula.

The animation is not that great, but I do like the background art and some of the colors, though.

Overall, Dragon Tales, although flawed, is a pretty good children's show since it was target at an audience and would always be recommended to fans of PBS.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this