Cats & Dogs (2001) Poster

(2001)

Not as bad as I was led to believe
TheLittleSongbird12 December 2009
Cats and Dogs was a pretty entertaining film. I will admit it I think kids will enjoy it more than adults, but it is fun. It has a silly but clever plot, a commendable voice cast and some decent acting in the human cast. While there are some funny moments, there are some parts in the middle half that are lacking slightly in comedy, and the script is a tad weak in parts. Despite the film's short length, it goes along at a swift pace, and the characters are at least likable. I have to say Lou(voiced with earnest conviction by Tobey Maguire) is adorable for a dog, and while you certainly don't want to mess with villainous feline Mr Tinkles (Sean Hayes seems to having a whale of a time here), though he is cute to look at. I have to say I think the best lines came from Mr Tinkles, they were often hysterical. As I said, the voice cast do a commendable job with the material they are given, and Jeff Goldblum and Elizabeth Perkins turn in decent human performances as well. The technical aspects are very well done indeed, and the music is good. Laurence Guterman does well directing, better than he did in the dreadful Son of the Mask four years later. All in all, not perfect, but it is cute and has a great concept. Kids will love it, adults might. 7/10 Bethany Cox
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for kids but fails to have any adult comedy
bob the moo4 January 2002
Scientist Brody is working on a formula that will wipe out dog allergies, thus making dogs the most popular pets on earth. When the dog agent protecting the house is kidnapped he is accidentally replaced by an untrained puppy Lou. Lou is trained up with the help of Butch, Peeps, Ivy and Sam. However with Mr Tinkles chasing the formula and Lou growing near to his family - can the formula be protected?

This had great potential - a good plot, a really strong cast and a good opportunity for children and adult jokes alike. The plot delivers what it has - a little silly but quite clever in places - but the comedy is seriously lacking for adults. For children there are some fart jokes and plenty of cat and dog slapstick but there are almost no jokes for adults that other films such as Shrek and Toy Story had in spades.

Given the cast this is very surprising - Jon Lovitz is a great voice but is hardly used at all, the character of Mr Tinkles could have been a great Dr Evil character, but even he is wasted. This is a great shame as all good children's films need to have something for adults to enjoy again. The great cast (Maguire, Baldwin, Clarke Duncan, Sarandon, Pantoliano, Charlton Heston, Lovitz) is a good draw for adults but having almost nothing to deliver for them is a big disappointment. The only funny scenes are the ninja cats and a handful of others but mostly it's wasted. The human actors are bland - Goldblum playing a scatty scientist? Surely not! That'll really push his barriers.

Overall a disappointing film that'll please children but needed a lot more work to keep adults entertained.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cats & Dogs
jboothmillard27 June 2009
I remember seeing this in the cinema, I don't know why actually, but I don't remember much of it at all, which may actually be a good thing. Basically there is a secret war going on in the world between cats and dogs, and it is going to peak when Professor Brody (Jeff Goldblum) creates a serum that can cure all humans of allergies to dogs. Cross in the cross fire is the Brody family's new adopted young beagle Lou (Tobey Maguire), trying to succeed as a secret agent. The dogs of course want this cure to be spread, while the cats led by Mr. Tinkles (Sean Hayes) wants to get it and make it work the opposite way, make the whole world allergic to dogs and take over. Also starring Elizabeth Perkins as Mrs. Brody, Miriam Margolyes as Sophie the Castle Maid, Alexander Pollock as Scotty Brody, Alec Baldwin as Butch, Susan Sarandon as Ivy, Joe Pantoliano as Peek, Michael Clarke Duncan as Sam, Jon Lovitz as Calico, Razzie winning Charlton Heston as The Mastiff, Danny Mann as Ninja Cat and Billy West as Ninja. I guess I would want to see it again to remind myself what happens and how awful it is, but I am very happy keeping my opinion and review the way it is for now. Pretty poor!
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever, Likable Kids Movie
ccthemovieman-19 April 2007
This was a pretty clever film mixing live characters and human voices for the dogs and cats. The dubbing is extremely well-done, and so is the humor. It's a funny story, although it displays the typical whacked-out father, which is another political correctness feminist agenda (mother = good; father = bad). Other than that, it is a very entertaining film even with a bunch of silliness.

Check the cast out. How often to you see Susan Sarandon and Charleton Heston in the same movie. Now THERE is diversity, even if it's only their voices!

People here complain the film is too much for kids, and not adults. Well, isn't that terrible? Imagine the nerve of these filmmakers, doing something just for children!
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute movie, entertaining, not a waste of time -- unless you are a die-hard cat lover.
TxMike18 October 2002
We have a cat, a gentle, playful neutered male named 'Bullet', because that's what he looked like as a kitten when he took off to retrieve a thrown wad of paper. In this film, the cats are well aware of the history of pets, and are jealous that dogs have become "man's best friend." Now, a researcher (Jeff Goldblum, in perfect casting) is about to perfect a serum that would eliminate all dog allergies, and the militant cats believe this will do them in. So they scheme to steal the formula, and re-engineer it so that everyone becomes allergic to dogs, and they will use mice to carry the serum to all corners of the world. Our cat, 'Bullet', would never get that jealous! :-)

some SPOILERS - I really enjoyed the first half of the film most, where the renegade cats kidnapped the family pet, and they got a new puppy, 'Lou' (short for loser), voiced by Tobey Mcguire. Lou gets exposed to the secret dog intelligence organization, and begins to learn about the cats' plans. However, the second half I thought was a bit overdone with CGI and animatronics to have the cats and dogs engage in all sorts of battles. Still fun, but not as much.

The whole story was done cleverly. The dogs might be in a group, talking to each other, when a human approaches. To cover themselves, they would initiate typical dog behavior, digging a hole, sniffing butts, etc until the person passed, then they would engage again in conversation. The computer effects to get the animals to apparently talk and smile, or form other expressions, was the best I have seen so far. Voices like Alec Baldwin, Jon Lovitz, and Susan Sarandon were very recognizable, and actually added to the enjoyment.

All in all a very entertaining film, no lasting value, just entertaining.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better family films I've seen recently
Quinoa19846 July 2001
From the commercials and trailers to this movie, I thought it was going to be a live action (albiet long) cartoon. I was right, although I found out what cartoon it was trying to do. Not exactly Looney Tunes, although it takes from them often. I found a connection here with an old show from Nickelodeon called Ren and Stimpy where cats and dogs fought constantly, and while the dog was the smart one, the cat who also though he was smart was really and idiot (eediot really). That's why I give Cats and Dogs it's rating here because this is the type of family film that more often than not can work for the whole family because while the kids can laugh at the pratfalls the dogs and cats encounter, adults will find humor in the ninja cats, the dictator-like-boss cat and other small things. Like Spy Kids, it's more for kids, which I Highly reccomend this movie for, but maybe even parents will get a chuckle. I know I did. Voices include Tobey Maguire, Alec Baldwin, Sean Hayes, Michael Clarke Duncan, Joe Pantoliano, Susan Sarandon, Jon Lovitz and almost un-recognizable talents from Robert Stack and Sir Charleton Heston. B+ (strong one at that)
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great for kids only
Gordon-1121 August 2010
This film is about secret agent dogs who do everything in their power to protect a professor's experimental cure from a group of evil cats who want to steal this cure.

"Cats & Dogs" is a kids film, so I have adjusted my expectations to suit the target audience. For a kids' film, "Cats & Dogs" has good production and an exciting plot. I am sure children will love the cute animals, James Bond style gadgets and the flurry of action.

However, there is little to entertain the adults who have to sit through the film with children. There is no hidden moral message either. If these points could be improved, "Cats & Dogs" would have been a true family film.
Cats Don`t Deserve The Bad Press
Theo Robertson19 August 2003
There`s a train of thought that cats are evil creatures silently biding their time to replace mankind as the planet`s dominant species . Utter nonsense of course though I can`t help noticing that when a cat stares at a human it`s almost like the cat is reading the person`s mind . Slightly creepy . I`ve got to confess that I can`t stand dogs which is mainly down to the owners letting a dog do what dogs do naturally . It`s no joke walking along the pavements of a Scottish island watching where you put your feet as carefully as you would walking through the mine strewn countryside of Afghanistan or Bosnia . In fact you find yourself hating dogs and that people who keep dogs are the lowest form of species on the planet . This what I disliked about this film : Dogs = good . Cats = bad

That said feline phobia was the only thing I disliked about CATS AND DOGS . Boy what a pitch that must have been " It`s about the pussy revolution that`s under way " The cats are taking over and only the canine commadoes can save us " Man I bet a few Hollywood shrinks had an emergency call at that sales pitch , but it`s nice to know that some producer managed to stop laughing long enough to consider making this film because CATS AND DOGS is a very entertaining family film . It`s also nice to see a film that`s not overlong .

Just don`t confuse this movie with STRAW DOGS or there will be trouble
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids might like it
preppy-316 July 2001
Dogs battle cats who are trying to take over the world. There's a human family thrown in (Jeff Goldblum and Elizabeth Perkins are shamefully wasted) for no good reason. The special effects showing the cats and dogs talking, fighting and such are truly incredible and there are a few (very few) laugh out loud moments. But the plot is ridiculous, most of the jokes are predictable and it gets tiresome (for adults) after 1/2 hour. However, kids will probably enjoy it. Despite the PG rating this is G rated material all the way (I assume the PG was for the comic book violence). And the animals are adorable. Also Sean Hayes lends his voice to the villianous Mr. Tinkles and he's hilarious. His lines are done in an over the top manner that's great. Still, this is primarily for kids.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let the Battle Begin
view_and_review20 March 2021
You want to know just how deep the cats and dogs beef goes? Well, so deep that it goes back to ancient Egypt when dogs freed humans from cat control.

I can't even type this with a straight face.

"Cats and Dogs" is a funny movie in which the dogs run a secret agency always on guard to protect the Earth from cats rising up and taking control. The cats' latest scheme involves stealing an anti-allergy serum from Professor Brody (Jeff Goldblum). The serum will cure everyone from their dog allergies. The cats want it for other reasons. The only thing standing in the cats' way is a small team of dog agents and Lou (voiced by Tobey Maguire), a small beagle who is an agent in training.

This movie has its moments and you gotta love the plot. It is too CGI heavy, especially since the CGI is a bit cartoonish. There's no deep or profound message to it other than that dogs are man's best friend for a reason.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice special effects, but only really funny for kids
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews6 December 2003
I didn't think I'd really enjoy this movie, it being apparently a kids movie, but I have to say the effects are pretty good, and some of the spy stuff is pretty good too. A very little part of the humor is good too, but I wouldn't watch it just for the humor(unless I was a kid). This movie *is* mainly a kids movie, with almost nothing worth watching for teens and adults, apart from the special effects and the spy stuff. Some of the humor that I could actually laugh at was *minor spoiler* the scene where a German Shepherd talks in German; I found that too be funny, and unexpected... I had never thought of that gag. Apart from that, I guess some teens and adult might enjoy the voices of the lead cats and dogs, which include: Alec Baldwin, Joe Pantoliano, Michael Clark Duncan, Tobey Maguire, Sean Hayes etc. I especially liked Alec Baldwin as the veteran dog agent, and Joe Pantoliano as the tech dog. I guess some parents can watch it with their 7-10 year old kid(s), and most other people should skip this one. You want a family film everybody can watch and laugh at, you should check out Shrek. 5/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Belongs in the Litter Box.
anaconda-4065813 July 2015
Cats and Dogs (2001): Dir: Lawrence Guterman / Cast: Jeff Goldblum, Elizabeth Perkins, Miriam Margolyes, Alexander Pollack, Myron Natwick: Could have referenced culture differences but instead its total lunacy. A dog is kidnapped then the screenplay completely forgets about it. A puppy is taken into a family and learns that other dogs are spies. Their establishment would seem clever had it an explanation. They must protect a chemical invented by the pup's owner that rid allergies. Feline Mr. Tingles wishes to destroy the formula so that people will disown man's best friend leaving cats to rule the world. Climaxes with violence tailored for children. Director Lawrence Guterman was out to lunch during the shoot. He never explains how these animals move a human body. Interesting concept bludgeoned with martial arts cats. Why is it that violence is family aimed films is deemed acceptable yet violence in R rated films is met with protests? This is just an excuse to sell candy coated kiddie violence. And just because dogs have been labled "man's best friend" doesn't mean that cats are automatically the villains either. Jeff Goldblum and Elizabeth Perkins come across with the mentality of a cardboard box. Miriam Margolyes and Alexander Pollack are wasted in supporting roles. While special effects are passable the film itself is totally pointless kiddie crap that should be buried in a litter box. Score: 2 / 10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a cute movie
Smells_Like_Cheese16 January 2004
I thought this movie was going to be only a movie for the kids, but I watched it with my cousins, and I was surprised. I laughed a lot. It had some really cute and hilerious moments. And Jeff Goldblum is in it! What more could you want? If you don't mind a little cute humor, I'd recommend "Cats & Dogs".

4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hello Human Guard. Let us in. That is all.
thesar-25 May 2010
I wouldn't necessarily call me loving Cats & Dogs a "guilty pleasure" per se, because I don't think it was an awful movie that I happened to really enjoy. I do find it odd, as one friend points out, I hate pretty much the majority of animal-talking movies whether CGI-crammed or simple mouths moving to the lame voiceovers and yet, I throw a curveball and love this movie.

Perhaps because it was so damned funny, creative and inventive. Maybe because it was a "versus" movie and they took the lead by telling the audience who to root for instead of alternating between the pros/cons of the different sides. Or, possibly because it was clever – for the animals, using their strengths, weaknesses and limitations to the movie maker's advantage. For example, two of my favorite scenes involve the back-flipping and in the background ninja cats and one dogs paws flying over a keyboard.

The film's weakness was, as always, the human counterparts. As much as I like Jeff Goldblum and as much as he tried, he was annoying as crud. (This also applies to the kid (Pollock) and Mom (Perkins.)) I see the dad (Goldblum) as attempting to channel the good ole Doc Brown (Lloyd, from Back to the Future) but failing miserably. No, the real stars were the animals.

I liked the majority of the animals, like the already mentioned ninjas but also the Dobermans, including and especially their offspring. Also, Hayes as the main baddie, lead cat, Mr. Tinkles, stole the movie for the most part, though I believe they could've gone a little further. Russian Blue (Ficarra) was a hilarious prelude to Shrek 2's Puss in Boots and had me rolling as did Mr. Tinkles Smithers-wannabe sidekick.

The basic plot line is Mr. Tinkles' vision of world domination, a la Brain from the Pinky & the Brain, but he's hunkered down by morons and insufficient "spy" cats. Meanwhile, newcomer and mistaken "spy" dog, Lou (Maguire), needs some encouragement from the neighborhood dogs to protect his master (Goldblum), literally, so he can create an anti-allergic-to-dogs formula for all humans. Throw in life lessons for the boy of the family, who needs to adjust to both a new "replacement" dog and his mostly absent(minded) father.

Forget all that. The fun relies in watching what the animals will do, what secret tunnels or high-tech spy gear they're use or the fights (and cleanup) between them. Obviously, there'll be the big showdown where Lou has to be a real hero, but again, we want to see the animals talking and acting like slapstick humans.

Highly recommended for kids, families and even adults. Though the sequel's due out soon and I'm not sure after the 9 year wait, the follow-up would match even half of the original's charm, I'll still see it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cute little movie
cherold8 July 2001
While it's not as funny as the trailer, this is a generally amusing movie that me, my wife and her sister all wound up describing as "cute." It's never hilarious but it's often amusing. It's not a kids movie like Shrek that is as good for adults as for children, but it's also not something so painfully childish that you're desperate for it to end. The pace was brisk, the story was fairly interesting and it was, all in all, well done.
Edvis-199730 November 2018
As for 2001 it's really quite interesting movie and worth to watch. I really liked the idea that cats are fighting against dogs because it was something fresh back then. Still movie is a little disappointing despite it's good idea.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's not to love about cats and dogs
MLDinTN28 May 2002
I thought this was a cute kid's film that does have some adult appeal. Also, I should state that I'm a big cat and dog lover, so I do have some bias toward the `stars' of this movie. I mean, how can you not think it is neat how they make it look like the cats and dogs are really talking.

(SPOILERS): Haven't we all wondered what our pets really do when we are away. Who's to say they don't break every dish in the house and destroy all the furniture and have it all cleaned up before we get home! Also, how do we know that cats didn't rule the roost in ancient Egypt!(END OF SPOILERS)

If you have a childish sense of humor, you will laugh a couple of times throughout this film.

FINAL VERDICT: This film is worth watching on a lazy summer afternoon. Get your dog or cat and curl up on the couch for some silly fun.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent entertainment
briancham199424 August 2020
This film is underrated to me. The premise is quite solid - the conflict between cats and dogs has a whole new world to it! The execution is silly of course, but the overall adventure is fun to watch and the characters are relatable. Perhaps the downvotes are from cat lovers?
Cats and Dogs!
Movie Nuttball14 January 2005
Cats and Dogs is a great comedy action film that stars Jeff Goldblum, Elizabeth Perkins, Alexander Pollock, Miriam Margolyes, Tobey Maguire, Alec Baldwin, Sean Hayes, Susan Sarandon, Michael Clarke Duncan, Jon Lovitz, Joe Pantoliano, and Charlton Heston! There are several hilarious moments in this picture. The action scenes are done very well. Goldblum and the other actors were. The castle scenes were really cool. The music by John Debney is very good. The movie is totally funny. I thought it was something else seeing all those different types of dogs and cats. So if you who like Jeff Goldblum and the rest of the cast mentioned and comedies with animals then I strongly recommend this film!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing.
Anonymous_Maxine27 July 2001
The thing that really makes a good family film is when it appeals to both children and adults. For example, you have Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Shrek, The Iron Giant, and even, surprisingly enough, lots and lots of Disney films. Unfortunately, the whole thing about technologically advanced domesticated animals who are also experts at tactical warfare is just too silly to be entertaining. It was fun to a degree, but when you see cats parachuting with night vision goggles or that damn underground subway system that the dogs somehow built, it goes too far.

In one of Gallagher's stand-up comedy videos (Stuck In The 60s, I believe), he is making fun of those rugs that show a picture of dogs shooting pool or cats playing poker, and he quips, `You can't get a cat to sh*t in a box, you don't want him to ante in at your table.' I wish I could see his reaction to the behavior of the cats and dogs in this movie!

I'm sure that Cats & Dogs is a fun movie for a much younger audience, but the scope of the film is so narrow that it can only really be enjoyed by kids. The movie was obviously not made by cat people, by the way, because of the fact that the cats are obviously the evil antagonists in the film, so if you have and love a cat or two in your household, it may be a good idea not to rent this one for your kids. There is some amusing dialogue and an interesting subplot involving Jeff Goldblum's attempt to come up with a serum to eliminate allergic reactions to dogs, but as a whole, Cats & Dogs just about falls flat.
Bow-Wow of a Time!
meeza2 January 2002
For those cool cats that think that pussies are the cutest, you will not like `Cats & Dogs'. However, for my dogs out there that think the bow-wow is the doggoned best than `Cats & Dogs' will roll you over. This very inventive family film is about manipulative cats who try to seize an allergic cure to dogs that agent dogs are protecting. The animal voices executed by Tobey Maguire, Alec Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Jon Lovitz, and Sean Hayes were good enough for me to fetch on to this film again. The only pet peeve I had about the film were the idiotic acting performances by Jeff Goldblum and Elizabeth Perkins. `Cats & Dogs' will scratch your funny bone and bark you up with laughter. **** Good
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Babe' meets 'Spy Kids'
vchimpanzee8 June 2004
Being a cat person, I had a lot of problems with this movie. A few of the cats were cute, but most of them were mean and ugly, and besides, they were the enemy. Maybe this is wrong, but I always sided with Sylvester in the Tweety cartoons and Tom in the Tom and Jerry cartoons, though it was once pointed out to me by characters in a Road Runner cartoon that siding with Wile E. Coyote, as I did, wouldn't be right because, if he caught the Road Runner, what fun would that be? Still, in this movie, I think the dogs could have been the enemies. They were more realistic looking, which is not a good thing because most of them were not cute and cuddly, and I don't even like cute and cuddly dogs.

Still, there were a lot a fun moments, and this movie was quite funny. As in 'Babe', this movie had what looked like real animals digitally altered so as to appear to be talking. I didn't care much for the human acting performances, though some of the voice actors were quite good. Glenn Ficarra was quite intimidating as a Russian Blue who still sounded like he was to be feared by those living under communism. Jeff Goldblum reminded me a lot of Wayne Szalinski in the TV series 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' (not necessarily a good thing), but I was surprised to see an actor of his caliber in such a role. The technology used by the animals reminded me a lot of 'Spy Kids'.

Parents who don't mind their kids watching the Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons would find almost nothing to object to here. Though there was plenty of cartoonish violence, and I was a little surprised Fox TV gave it a TV-G rating. Especially after I thought I heard the word for ... gas. It may have been another word. There were some unnecessary bodily function jokes, but this movie was pretty tame.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some animals are great but the rest is mediocre
kluseba15 May 2011
I must admit that I have first seen the sequel of this movie because my girlfriend wanted to watch it in the cinema. Even though the whole thing was quite expensive with fifteen bucks for a movie of one and a half hour with a couple of mediocre special effects and a rather ordinary story line, I think that the follow-up is somewhat underrated because it has many funny characters, a couple of really good jokes and is overall very dynamical. The first part is overrated compared to the sequel as it is only as good as the second movie.

The beginning of the movie is way too long and quite boring. The acting is ordinary and quite predictable and copies a lot of family movies such as "Beethoven" or "Honey, I shrunk the kids". I don't know why a brilliant actor like Jeff Goldblum starred in this ordinary movie. The story itself is predictable and the ending the usual Hollywood kitsch for the (whole?) family that might please to the youngest fans but not to the rest. The connections to many spy movies that would make some adults laugh are much better in the sequel and the laughs of this first movie are simply orientated towards the younger public.

What saves this movies from bad mediocrity are the animals, the great special effects and the overall entertaining qualities. Especially Mister Tinkles as the villain cat and his strange nanny are very funny while the hero Lou can't really convince. The dog Sam and the Russian cat are two amusing sidekicks but the rest of the animal cast is rather boring.

In the end, one shouldn't be too severe with this movie as it is simply done to entertain a young public and surely succeeds from that point of view. The parents will be able to watch it with their children without hating it too much and some younger people that have cats or dogs at home might also like the concept. Anyone else will be more or less entertained with this flick and should rather head for better, more profound and especially more mature animation flicks such as "Toy Story", "How to train your dragon" or "Wall-E".

Anybody that happens to like this movie even though it has some major flaws shouldn't believe the negative hype and watch the second movie as well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It ought to have been a cartoon.
Spleen20 May 2002
I mean a REAL cartoon; not a hybrid in which real footage of cats and dogs is put through the digital mangler, but something animated from scratch, preferably by hand. Look at "One Hundred and One Dalmatians" and you'll see how to do this kind of thing properly. (I mean of course the 1961 original, which, sadly, was remade in 1996 using exactly the same techniques we see here. Does ANYONE have a clue these days?) The tacky, awkward-looking footage of talking dogs doesn't even have an economic justification. To make "Cats and Dogs" look this shoddy Warner Brothers spent $US60 million. Disney's plush animated features typically cost $US100 million, but it's possible to do well for less; "The Iron Giant", for instance, cost Warner Brothers just $US48 million.

The advantages of hand-drawn animation are many. It looks better. It makes for a more integrated design (as it stands, is "Cats and Dogs" a live action film, or a digital cartoon? The film itself doesn't know any more than I do). Good character animation is unforced and natural; using computers to make dogs' mouths appear to move in sync with English speech gives the painful impression - hard to shake off - that the animals have been possessed by sorcery and are being forced to do something against their will. And most importantly, a script as threadbare as this one badly needs the visual wit that pen-and-ink character animators could hardly fail to provide.

I love the idea of a secret government of dogs at the Earth's core devoted to furthering our interests (and by extension, theirs), that the Ancient Egyptians were in fact slaves ruled by cats and ultimately freed by dogs. Good idea to base a film on this premise. Bad idea to think that the premise alone would do all the work. STUPID idea to make the film this particular way.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The eternal fight between cats and dogs
Lady_Targaryen13 November 2005
This movie is so cute! It's all about the eternal fight between cats and dogs. (And it's funny to notice that cats are always the bad ones) We have famous actors as Jeff Goldblum as Professor Brody and Elizabeth Perkins as Mrs. Brody. The famous voices are from Tobey Maguire as Lou,Alec Baldwin as Butch and Susan Sarandon as Ivy,only to mention a few. The story is kind of simple: Professor Brody is trying to find a formula to cure the people's allergies to dogs, being himself one example of an allergic person to them. The cats of course, are worried about this,because the cure of the allergy would make dogs even more popular among humans,making the cats rejected. The story turns around Lou and his dog spy friends,who needs to protect the formula and also save Lou's owners of the evil cats. Ps: The dogs have a high tech technnology to cause all the humans jealous. ps2:Ivy,rules. ps3:Mr.tinckles is hilarious.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.