The Mexican (2001) Poster

(2001)

I had a very good time watching this movie
philip_vanderveken22 November 2004
Personally I had a very good time watching this movie, but it seems like I'm one of the few. I don't know why, but the voters on this website always seem to hate comedies if they aren't from the hand of some cult-director. Does a movie always have to be a great drama or an exciting thriller? Not if you ask me, but I'm only one of many over here of course.

It's true, the movie is a little chaotic from time to time. It isn't an overproduced Hollywood movie that takes itself too serious and that's exactly where its charm is in it for me. I loved to see Brad Pitt as the clumsy criminal who always is able to do something wrong. The same for Julia Roberts as his hysterical girlfriend and James Gandolfini as the gay hit man who has kidnapped her.

I know, it's not done to say that you liked to see Julia Roberts play a certain role and Brad Pitt can never be good as a comical actor... Well, perhaps it is time for some people to broaden their minds. Don't believe what everybody says, watch it for yourself and form your own opinion. I liked it and I give it an 8/10.
107 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A chaotic, messy but brilliant commentary on relationships
paddyolguin12 October 2004
I'm genuinely surprised at the number of people who disliked this movie. Perhaps because it was a bit disjointed, chaotic, uneven, unpredictable and even incoherent at times. And that's just why I loved it. It's life. Yes, it's the crazy, seedy, shady lives of these people (the main characters being Pitt's and Roberts' characters), but at least it's honest... and darned funny. I thought the self-deprecating jabs at how most Gringos view Mexico/Mexicans were priceless. Raul!! The grainy flashbacks had my sides splitting.

People, this is a classic melodrama told in today's yucky, dirty, gritty, ugly times. A beautiful (if you look closely) story that doesn't take it self seriously at all. This is anything but formula Hollywood hype. It is a genius inside-joke that sandbagged most of the people hoping to come out and see a Pitt/Roberts version of Sleeping in Seattle or some similar chick-flick dreck.

When is enough enough? Never.
67 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black Comedy From Gore Verbinski
jhclues6 March 2001
A couple working on the give-and-take aspects of their relationship, an exquisitely crafted antique pistol with something of a diverse history and some questions concerning who is working for whom, all figure prominently in `The Mexican,' a black comedy directed by Gore Verbinski and starring Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt. Jerry Welbach (Pitt), a somewhat less than astute young fellow in thrall to a criminal currently incarcerated, is given a seemingly simply assignment: He is to go to Mexico, where he will rendezvous at a bar in a small town, at which time he will take possession of an invaluable hand-made pistol; he will then transport the item to the States and deliver it to his boss. But there's a problem; his girlfriend, Samantha (Roberts) expects to go to Las Vegas at the same time, and their plans were already made and set in stone. So what is a guy to do? After Sam throws him out of their apartment and Jerry tries to explain-- in a memorable scene with her on the second story balcony, he on the ground looking up-- that if he doesn't do this job they will, well, KILL him, it doesn't make any difference. After all, their trip to Vegas had already been planned, and he promised it would happen. Talk about a guy between a rock and a hard place. And it's only the beginning of a dark comedy of errors and circumstances that ultimately involves them with some double dealings and brings them into contact with a psychotic killer named Leroy (James Gandolfini). Director Verbinski lends a nice touch to the movie, eliciting noteworthy performances from his actors and establishing early on his method of using specific landmarks-- a traffic signal and a cross-roads in the middle of nowhere, for example-- that give context and definition to what is happening, sometimes off-screen (as in the opening scene, when you only `hear' a traffic accident that becomes a pivotal part of the story). He avoids slapstick and plays up the natural, subtle humor that drives the film. The characters are well drawn and the dialogue is clever and witty (`You ‘Forrest Gumped' your way through this...') and often very droll. And he maintains a pace and develops an atmosphere in which the unexpected can be expected that keeps it all moving along nicely and right on track. And there's a politically incorrect sensibility to the movie that is refreshing to see; in real life certain situations and cultures that are foreign to us are often viewed in stereotypical terms, so there is no reason to portray it otherwise in a film, especially when care has been taken to present it in an inoffensive manner, as it is here. Taking on a decidedly unglamorous role, Roberts nevertheless creates a lively character with Sam, imbuing her with plenty of spunk and, of course, that trademark smile. It's not a part that calls for a lot of depth, but she makes Sam likable and fun to watch, and she makes her banter with Jerry and Leroy credible and engaging. Credit goes to Pitt, as well, for making the most of what is actually a leading man/character role; Jerry isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and he may be easily distracted, but-- like Sam-- he's not without some natural charm that makes him quite personable and interesting. And there is a chemistry between the two that makes their relationship believable, especially when the sparks are flying. Gandolfini, meanwhile, not to be outdone by his charismatic co-stars, makes an indelible mark as the sensitive, psychotic killer who turns out to be something of an enigma. The supporting cast includes Bob Balaban (Nalin), David Krumholtz (Beck), Luis Felipe Tovar (Luis) and Gene Hackman (Margolis). A lively romp that takes some unexpected turns, `The Mexican' has a dark side, but manages to remain uplifting and thoroughly entertaining. There's a natural flow to the film and the laughs, generated by both the situations and the characters, are never forced but prompted, rather, by the spontaneity of it all. It's a movie that never pretends to be anything other than what it is, which is pure entertainment. It'll leave you with a smile on your face, some chuckles and some great lines to quote. And that, my friends, is the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.
41 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad, as people say.
Andy C-22 January 2002
Being quite a harsh critic myself, I was surprised to see how badly recieved this film was. Admittably the film tended to drag a little length and was missing something to make it a little more entertaining.

But the film has some interesting characters, situations, and scenery to make this film highly watchable. Pitt and Roberts are good, but have put in much better performances elsewhere. And spend the majority of the film apart. I suspect the main criticisms of this film are mainly to do with high expectations: in having Pitt, Roberts and the Sopranos guy in. But in summary, an alright film - but nothing special.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Surprising delight; good comic performances, romantic nuggets, good sense of adventure. *** (out of four)
Movie-1212 March 2001
THE MEXICAN / (2001) *** (out of four

The title of Gore Verbinski's new romantic comedy adventure refers to the name of an extraordinarily valuable but cursed pistol possessed by a young man living in urban Mexico. Brad Pitt stars as Jerry Welbach, an errand boy forced to work for a local mob boss (Bob Balanban) after accidentally causing a powerful kingpin named Margolis (Gene Hackman) to be sent to jail. His "last" job is to go to Mexico and retrieve "The Mexican" and its beholder. Jerry's spiteful girlfriend, Samantha (Julia Roberts), wants Jerry to keep his promise about traveling to Las Vegas with her, but she does not realize that he can either accomplish this task or be killed. Since Samantha is such an understanding lover, she packs her bags and heads to Vegas alone, dumping her "selfish" long time boyfriend. Unfortunately for her, she is in the middle of a complicated situation whether she likes it or not. While traveling to her destination, Samantha is almost killed by a hitman (Sherman Augustus), but saved by another cold-blooded killer named Leroy (James Gandolfini), who has been assigned to kidnap her just in case Jerry gets any deceptive ideas while on his journey.

Once in Mexico, Jerry locates the person and the pistol, but things go terribly wrong when the man is accidentally killed and several locals steal his transportation. Becoming suspicious, Jerry's accomplice, Ted (J.K. Simmons), is sent to find Jerry and declare the rising stakes at hand. Meanwhile, Samantha and Leroy become emotionally candid and share useful information of their past experiences involving love. While Leroy is a homosexual, he still lusts for romantic fulfillment, as the sentimental killer gives Samantha some advice of her own.

"The Mexican" is not really a romantic comedy like many audiences will expect; it is a somewhat coarse, violent adventure with undertones dealing with forgiveness and the strength of love. Actually, the relationship between the characters of Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts is quite trite. Except for the third act, whenever on screen together, the two characters do nothing but bitterly argue and fight. The performances keep the romance alive; clearly Pitt and Roberts are the right choices for the parts. Brad Pitt progresses into a somewhat comedic role, and he often struggles with it. But I certainly thought his performance was funny. He gives his character the perfect amount of charm and sweetness. Julia Roberts is a little annoying but puts an effective edge in her character. We actually end up caring about both of their fates.

There are a lot of little things to like in "The Mexican" like the scenes in a Mexican bar, shuttered with a dark atmosphere and authentic cinematography by Dariusz Wolski; dim lights give the rooms a greenish tint, creating a realistic and believable mood for the scenes. The soundtrack furnishes the movie with a genuine zest. A lot of the dialogue is witty and smart, with scenes that are well-written, often funny, and keep our attention. The comedic elements keep the movie interesting and fresh. The film does an excellent job with informing us about the history of the pistol and the plot's complications are curiously intriguing. Leroy's homosexuality introduces relationship issues that give his character depth. Although often bloody and shockingly profane, "The Mexican" is not mean-spirited or nasty-but enlightening and whimsical.

The film is directed by Gore Verbinski, who also provided us with fast-paced entertainment in the 1997 family comedy "MouseHunt." "The Mexican" is much different from that film, but still has the energy and stride to keep us engrossed. Although not what many people will expect, I found "The Mexican" to be a surprising delight.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why am I the only one who liked it?
candigrrl9 July 2001
Okay, I admit it. I'm a Julia fan. But before I saw this movie I'd heard so much about it being terrible that I had incredibly low expectations - so I guess I was going in to see it from a different angle to most people.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually saw 'Mouse Hunt' or whatever it's called once on TV, didn't think too much of it, and I was hoping that 'The Mexican' would be different. Luckily, it was.

Brad Pitt gives a sweet performance as Jerry, the accident prone hero, but the best part of the movie is the chemistry between Julia Roberts as Sam and James Gandolfini as Leroy - an unlikely relationship between a kidnapper and a kidnappee (is that a word?).

I'd advise people to see this movie with an open mind. If you expect miracles you'll probably be disappointed. But I actually did really like it.

Oh, and it made me cry. Four times. How embarrassing is that? Maybe I'm getting my period or something.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it, but thats just me
krista-154 March 2001
I can see how some people wouldn't like the movie. It didn't have alot to say about the world. It didn't inspire you to go out and do great things. It wasn't even extremely funny. but I still liked it. I have become accustomed to Hollywood, and their mindless stupid little movies. At least this one had better cinematography. Perhaps it was a bit overcast, and although it might seem like the typical teenager flick actor would fit the part better, that would have turned the movie into just another money making teeny bopper disaster. But as it is the two biggest stars in HOllywood made this movie, and that alone made it a pretty interesting movie. I'm one of those people who like Julia Roberts. I have heard many complaints about her as an actress, but she still tops my list of favorites. SO maybe I'm a bit biased towards the film, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhere between cute romcom, gritty crime drama, road movie & dark comedy is "The Mexican"
rooprect5 October 2012
Take "All About Steve" (cute dysfunctional romcom), toss in "3 Days in the Valley" (gritty crime drama), a little bit of "Silver Streak" (roadcom) and a hint of "Deathtrap" or possibly "Fargo" (dark comedy), then whip them all mercilessly with an eggbeater until it's unrecognizable, bake at 425 degrees for 2 hrs 3 mins, and there you have "The Mexican".

If you enjoyed all the films I mentioned above, you'll like this. It's polished, as any Hollywood flick with Brad Pitt & Julia Roberts would be, but it's quirky and odd enough to set itself apart from the others. The story is about a lovable loser (Brad Pitt) and his crazy therapy-inducing girlfriend (Julia Roberts) who end up trapped in a bloody battle to get a cursed gun known as "The Mexican". The plot has plenty of twists & turns to keep you entertained on the surface. But the real story is about unlikely relationships: not just Brad & Julia's bipolar romance but also unlikely friendships & loyalties that spring up between kidnappers & kidnappees, assassins & victims, American profiteers & Mexican defenders... like a good Clint Eastwood movie ("The Unforgiven", "Gran Turino"), the point is that it's easy to apply labels, but how often do you get a good look at what's underneath?

I mentioned that this is a dark comedy, and indeed there are about half a dozen killings. What makes it different from, say Pulp Fiction or Heathers, is that the film doesn't gloss over the deaths with comedic gags. That's where this film is unusual... It has a place for comedy, and it has a place for tragedy. It doesn't really mix the two. Thus you may find your emotions wrenched around a bit, and that may be disorienting to some viewers. But if you're ready for a wild ride (exactly what this movie claims to be), you'll love it. And it has a cool dog in it too.

Other good movies in the same genre include "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" (Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie), the hilarious "My Cousin Vinny" (Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei) and the classic "Foul Play" (Chevy Chase & Goldie Hawn).
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining!
ljwickert4 August 2001
Pitt and Roberts were a good match, and James Gandolfini really was the best part of this movie. A young man (Pitt) has to go to Mexico and retrieve an antique pistol for a mobster, much to the chagrin of his girlfriend (Roberts). Pitt encounters a lot of snags and hang ups trying to complete the task, and unknowingly, his girlfriend is being held as insurance until he finishes the job. Worth seeing! B+
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Roberts Ruined It
ccthemovieman-118 April 2006
GOOD - Story was interesting the first time around.....loved the cinematography; nice Mexican scenery.... liked Brad Pitt's dialog and his character was fun to watch.....enjoyed the few side-bits with the dog and was surprised when Gene Hackman showed up late in the film.

BAD - Julia Roberts ruined this film, at least by the second viewing. She was either yelling at Pitt all the time or gushing over a hit-man who admitted he was gay, and both routines wore thin. She thought (being gay) that was just the greatest thing and really overdid it.

Overall, if you modified Roberts' character into someone less abrasive this might have been a "keeper."
41 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent--pleasantly surprised
danielwill3 September 2001
I didn't expect much of this film and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Well written (despite what others here have said), well directed (except for the pace which got slow), well acted (both Roberts and Pitt were believable and very funny, and Gandolfini was funny and touching). The criticism of Pitt, Roberts and Gandolfini is especially perplexing, as they were all in top form.

So why all the complaints? I don't get it. Yes, it was 10-15 minutes too long. Yes, it changed tone somewhat drastically near the end. But overall it was surprising, very funny, interesting to look at and fun.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't help but like this movie.
davelawson2413 June 2004
I have heard a lot of criticism (sp?) on this movie for various reasons. I have to say that I agree to pretty much every one. The plot is sketchy and incoherent at times, it crosses too many genres, etc. etc. The characters don't fit together right, but that's alright. For me all the flaws are what makes me want to watch The Mexican. For some reason I love this flick, even though I don't really know anyone else who cares for it! Why do I like this movie? I haven't figured that out yet, but I believe it's because I never tried to read that much into it, just sat back and took the trip. It will never make my top 10, but that doesn't mean its not worth repeated viewings. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWESOME entertainment
doughyrax29 December 2017
How this got such mediocre reviews is just beyond me .... it was a great story, great casting and stellar performance. The only thing might be the corny backstory of the gun itself, but even that winds up being charming ....if anyone has not seen this film all I can say is you are in for a treat
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't judge this one too quickly
jdhenckel1 May 2015
It's now 2015 and I just watched this for the first time. I was dubious because of the rating. But, wow, this is a great movie! I watched it again a week later with my wife, and it got even better.

I like an intellectual film. One that resonates with modern angst and twists around the classic tropes. I also like unexpected love stories. This film has both.

This is two hours long with lots of characters and fairly complex plot. If you think it makes no sense (like some reviewers here), try a little harder. It all ties together, but it doesn't condescend to make it bleeding obvious.

By far, Gandofini is my favorite. His character is so passionate and conflicted. So human. So tragic. I really enjoyed his conversations with Sam. They are so honest. Made me cry.

My only complaint is casting Julia Roberts as Sam. Good actress, bad casting. Sam is a 19 year old, silly whimsical romantic girl. But Julia is a 30+ mature woman. Such as when she says "Are you going to rape me?" if she were 19 it would be funny, but from Julia it sounds insane. A 30 year old woman doesn't think like that. Also when she answers the "when is it enough?" question on the curb. It seems weird coming from a 30 year old woman.

Likewise Brad is a bit too old for his part, but it is less distracting.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite simply, the worst movie I've seen all year
boondocksaint2016 April 2002
This is one of those movies, I guess that some people love and most people hate. I am the latter of the two people. The trailers do this film no justice at all since they imply that it will be another 'Pulp Fiction' type movie with stylish characters, witty dialogue, dark humor and over the top violence played for sinful pleasures and shock value. This film contains the last of these promises, and that's about it.

My roommate and his girlfriend, who love this movie made me watch it one night. Being a huge movie buff, and a fan of Brad Pitt, I had incredible expectations for this flick, but they were all shot down, beginning with Julia Roberts' annoying scene where she tosses all of Brad Pitt's stuff out a window in a fit of rage. As I sat there watching this film, the other couple in the room kept laughing hysterically at the jokes and slapstick in this film. Needless to say, I sat bewildered as to how anyone can think this movie is funny, let alone enjoyable. Now, I am one of those people who enjoy most movies with over the top silly humor like Monty Python, Road Trip or Deuce Bigalow, and I love to laugh for the simple point of laughing, even if the material isn't exactly up to Python brilliance, but how can someone think that "I need a ride-o in your truck-o to the el town-o" is the least bit funny? There's a fine line between juvenile humor (which even the most serious of us enjoy, even though they don't admit it) and a pathetic attempt at juvenile humor (Enter "The Mexican"). Trust me, this is coming from a guy who finds humor in almost anything. This movie had me sitting there, hoping that something entertaining would happen. No such luck here.

With a film with Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini (and though I don't like her, Julia Roberts) one would think that the movie would be good, if not great. But once again, Hollywood proves that even big budget stars 'owe favors' to producers from time to time (In other words, if the script is bad, the 'bigger' the movie, the harder it will fall). Pitt is an incredibly annoying and incompetent wannabee gangster who tries to provide humor for the film, but fails miserably in perhaps his most embarrassing performance to date. James Gandolfini was probably the best part of this film, though not saying much as the hitman with hidden secrets. Julia Roberts made me want to take the television and throw it out the window, she played the most annoying character I have seen in quite some time. The acting and the script are so awful, it will bother you for a while afterwards and leave a bad taste in your mouth. It's one of those films that tries too hard to be good, and wants you to want it to be good or hopes that the viewer will be incompetent enough to think it's good as well thinking that big budget stars and a misleading trailer will make up for a cheesy plot, bad acting, a horrible script and bad direction. Come on guys, believe it or not people are not stupid. All in all, this is a flick that is a total waste of time. This movie sucks so bad, it draws all the air out of the room and then closes all of the walls around you until you suffocate from the suckage, as well as the large quantity of cr@p that is hurled at you from your television set. I have said this for maybe three or four movies in my life, but this film is pure torture to watch, it provides no entertainment, and leaves you upset afterwards, after you were looking forward to a nice evening at home with a fun movie. I rarely say this on IMDB, but AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS!!!! 1/10.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Names Aren't Always Enough
Theo Robertson24 September 2005
On the surface this might appear to be a relatively entertaining film since it stars two big names , but stop to consider the careers of both Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt . Roberts was unbelievably lucky to have won the Oscar for ERIN BROCKOVICH while Pitt is obviously a film star due to his sexy boy looks . You're right i'm slightly jealous of Pitt's physique and his face and even more jealous still that he's made a massively successful career out of it and like everything else he's appeared in THE Mexican shows Pitt is not much of an actor

The plot revolves around gangster Jerry Walbach being sent down to Mexico by the mob to collect an antique firearm called " The Mexican " and while he's away his girlfriend Samantha is kidnapped by a hit-man called Winston Baldry who also wants to get his hands on The Mexican . I'm not sure if the premise would have allowed for many laughs but what's obvious on screen is that Roberts and Pitt try and milk the humour for all it's worth . This is a mistake because the comedy should come out of the situations the characters find themselves in not by Roberts and Pitt mugging for the camera , shouting or waving their arms about trying to convince the audience that this is a funny film . Even worse is the casting of James Gandolfini as Winston since he's written as a gay version of Tony Soprano , effectively we've got Gandolfini playing a distractingly similar role that he's best known for . Thankfully we don't see JK Simmons playing the head of The Ayran Brotherhood but his character is such a wimp I found myself wishing he'd say something like " From now on Jerry your ass belongs to me " while craving a swastika onto his victim's flesh . It's probably also a mistake to have Gene Hackman in here since his scene seems to have been written just so we'd get a cameo from a living legend . Anything that prolongs the running time of this movie receives harsh judgement from me

THE Mexican is a comedy that I found to be far from entertaining . The casting of such big names must have cost a lot of money and more time and attention should have been taken with the script and you do get the irritating feeling that the producers thought having a couple of big names in the movie everything would have taken care of itself . Obviously it didn't . Some people on the message boards have complained that this is the worst movie ever when in fact it's not even the worst movie Brad Pitt has appeared in , but unless you're a die hard fan of either Roberts or Pitt there's not much point in seeing this amigo
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhere He Got Dusty
daveisit8 August 2001
You have to wonder whether there's enough room on the big screen for two megastars such as Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt. The truth is you have Brad on the one hand who's cool and even fairly talented. Yet on the other hand there's Julia Roberts, lacking much talent and losing her appeal on the big screen at an accelerating rate. Well it seems to me the director has taken this into account and has left Julia out of most of the movie, and thankfully spared us slotting the two together in too many scenes.

With movies about Mexico the flavour of the month this movie does little to inspire you, and gives even less of an insight into Mexicans and their way of life. Big Brad will entertain the ladies though, and with a few blank expressions and appropriate comments, most of the audience seemed to go home happy.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too long, too boring and only Gandolfini is actually acting
johnny-0821 March 2008
As much as I like Gore Verbinski, I cannot say that this is a good movie. It's way too long and it never offers us some breathtaking story that would keep me on the edge of seat. Actually I think this is the weakest movie Verbinski has done. Not that his direction is bad, it's mainly because of poor script that fails to provide really good black comedy and it's because, I must say, bad casting. Why? Well I really respect Brad Pitt's work. He's not some handsome guy who is here only because of his looks. He knows how to act and he proved that many times ("Kalifornia", "Se7en", "Twelve Monkeys", "Fight Club", "Snatch") but this is movie where he just couldn't fit in. His colleague Julia Roberts is also working this movie off, so the only person who's actually acting is James Gandolfini. Gandolfini is very good in his role; emotional, vulnerable but still strong and convincing. I forgot one thing about Pitt & Roberts: I just cannot put two of them together as a pair. Although we have here some universal messages about love, hit-man who's very emotional (strange for hit-man even though he's gay) and cameo role from great Gene Hackman; this is really movie that you can easily skip unless you're in love with Brad Pitt or you just want to watch a movie without innovative story.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money
segacs5 February 2005
Three words for you on this movie: Save Your Money. That is, unless you consider nine bucks for a ticket to be money well-spent for the privilege of taking a nap on those oh-so-comfy theatre seats. Cause you're sure not paying for much else.

After seeing The Mexican, I'm at a loss to explain why this movie needed to be over two and a quarter hours long. Nothing ever happens! I kept waiting for some humour, or exciting action, or romance, or, well . . . basically anything. Hell, I woulda taken a UFO hitting Julia Roberts on the head and knocking her out. At least that might have woken me up.

The elements were in place. Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, and the supremely talented and wasted James Gandolfini anchor the cast. There's a storyline involving some neurotic characters, the mob, guns, Mexico, and a kidnapping-hostage situation. There's material, here, people. Why they couldn't make it go anywhere is beyond me.

Julia Roberts' character becomes friends with her kidnapper. Uh, yeah, that's original. Brad Pitt's character has trouble speaking Spanish in Mexico. So what? And would someone care to explain to me the purpose of putting in those reel-style clips about the legend of the pistol? Were they supposed to be funny? Scary? Sad? Either this movie was so brilliant that it went way above my head, or it was just plain dumb. I'm gonna bet on option number two.

There was one good line in the movie: "Guns don't kill people, postal workers kill people". There, now that you've read it, I just did you a gigantic favour, cause there's no other reason to go see this disaster they call a movie.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Always Me Me Me
tedg2 March 2001
Spoilers herein.

This is a mess. After several years of independent films with bite, and some that actually made tons of money, the Hollywood machine finally gets in gear. Following their version of a formula, they pack it with box office draws. Try to cover all bases so that the largest possible audience will open it. So we have here `Pulp Fiction' meets `Way of the Gun' meets `Pretty Woman' meets `Romancing the Stone.' It is supposed to be a sweet romantic, character-driven, fate-driven, edgy, funny situation/chase movie, It skittles about, doing well with none of these.

I think the script had possibilities. Pitt and Gandolfini have the stuff. Roberts is wallpaper, but could have held up the role of shrewish neurotic. The problem is with the vision of the director. There is none. And thence to the editing, which lacks snap.

The director uses excessive closeups without understanding closein acting. This is just mere exploitation of famous smiles.

The only interesting element is an episode where Gandolfini discusses his new relationship. This is fine stuff, but is quickly thrown away as other elements of the story intrude. Pitt as always gets my appreciation for the sheer danger of the risks he takes. This time, the film is worthless, but one can really relate to how much he exposes. He is the Janis Joplin of acting today, and I hope he doesn't end up as a fat Brando.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way off
nick_lancaster5 November 2001
From the trailer and the review this looked like a True Romance, the reality was a true disappointment.

The comedy was limp, the timing way off, the incessant jokes about Mexico wore very thin after twenty minutes. Julie Roberts character seemed like she would be more at home on the set of Friends, no doubt to make Brad Pitt feel more at home. However, Roberts just couldn't pull it off, lacking the tweeness of her small screen colleagues.

A disappointment, overly long and well worth missing.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One last heist! Bring back the gun called "The Mexican".
michaelRokeefe8 August 2002
Stars with exceptional credentials can sometimes be wasted in an over ambitious project. This is a prime example. An inept criminal(Brad Pitt)promises his girlfriend(Julia Roberts)that he will change his ways after one last job. While he goes to Mexico to retrieve an ancient pistol, "The Mexican", his demanding sweetheart is kidnapped. Gene Hackman and James Gandolfini support the toothsome twins Pitt and Roberts. The attempts at comedy are not all that humorous. The story line is not the easiest to follow. The finale is different and pretty neat. Just look for the smoke. Beware of the lack of entertainment.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lackluster.
MovieAddict201631 March 2004
What do you get when you combine two of Hollywood's most famous sex symbols, the director of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Mexico? Apparently, an overlong, boring mix of comedy, romance and violence -- which, in this case, is a rather lackluster result considering the potential.

Jerry (Brad Pitt) is one of the most inept criminals in history. Five years ago he crashed into the back of a crime lord's car and, as a result, found himself working off the accident by running errands. Jerry's last retrieval before retirement involves skipping the border into Mexico, finding a rare and beautifully crafted pistol (The Mexican), returning it to Margolese (Gene Hackman) and walking away from everything happily. But Jerry's girlfriend, Samantha (Julia Roberts), is tired of Jerry's continual lying and criminal feats, so she dumps him and heads for Las Vegas.

After arriving in Mexico unscathed, Jerry soon finds himself at the wrath of thugs, murderers and hit men intent on stealing The Mexican from him. Meanwhile, Samantha finds herself taken hostage by a gay hit man with a heart named Leroy (James Gandolfini of "Get Shorty" and TV's "The Sopranos"), who -- by following all of the Hollywood cliches -- is an amiable, likable guy who wouldn't harm a fly.

The advertising for "The Mexican" had it all wrong. The studios advertised it as a sweet, funny comedy starring two of Hollywood's biggest stars. The major cop-out is that Pitt and Roberts share most of the film far apart from each other -- which isn't a huge problem anyway, as it provides a pleasant twist on the repetitive buddy formula. But the movie's twisting, turning, violent, harsh style soon grows weary -- especially as the second hour draws nearer. The end almost redeems the rest of the film, but not quite.

"The Mexican" is primarily interested in doing things that have already been done before, such as culture clashing. Take, for instance, the scene where Jerry spends a good minute or so trying to tell a band of traveling hombres that he needs a ride to the nearest town. Somehow, Jerry confuses "carro" for "deniro" and the driver's eyes suddenly light up. "Robert De Niro?" he asks with a big gap-toothed grin. Another joke that indicates foreign countries know more about Hollywood than actual language. Har-har. It'd be funny if it hadn't been done before.

If you're looking for something harsh, "The Mexican" may very well be too sweet. And vice versa. The movie is too wish-washy -- sometimes it wants to be the next gritty comedy ("Trainspotting") and sometimes it's aiming for cute gimmicks and completely silly characters.

And then, even worse than trying jokes and failing, "The Mexican" never even strives to give us funny moments. In that scene where Jerry tries to hail a ride to the next town, the punchline is never delivered. All road travel movies are about confusion, usually resulting in two people misunderstanding each other. What should have happened is this: Jerry has a hard time explaining to the Mexican driver that he wants a ride. Finally, they both understand each other, and Jerry thinks everything is OK, but soon finds himself being left in the dust by the car, which continues driving on. Because confusion is funny, and "The Mexican" never understands this. That is one of its most fundamental flaws.
Pathetic!
Stefanowich19 August 2001
If there ever was a stinker this sure fits the description. The most pathetic dialogue mixed with real bad performances from Roberts and Pitt in worst written and directed story this millenium. I hate this movie and I don't encourage anyone to see it. Stay as far away as you possibly could.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to bore me in one two hour film
Rainsford552 May 2001
This was just awful. Boring, badly acted and terrible story. Suprised that Pitt, Roberts and not to mention the brilliant Gene Hackman got involved in this dribble. Avoid at all costs. A waste of an afternoon and certainly a waste of my money. Badly filmed too. Came across like an amateur's first home movie. Bad move by Julia Roberts...don't do it again Julia.