The Salton Sea (2002) Poster

A Crystal Meth Film Noir
Craig McPherson20 March 2004
I avoided watching this film for quite some time after its release. In part this was because what little I knew about the story hit a little too close to home in terms of substance abuse problems, and equally so because I'd generally read negative reviews about how bleak, depressing and meandering it was.

Boy was I wrong. As it turns out this is a stylishly photographed, atmospheric little film noir set in the world of crystal meth junkies and hoods. Val Kilmer registers a most impressive performance as a musician turned junkie turned.... well, I won't give anything more away.

The film's story line just seems to flow out toward the viewer in a languishing, yet engrossing stream, sucking you along in its undertow. Couple that with enough plot twists to catch your interest and this film makes for a perfect evening of quiet movie watching over a bowl of popcorn.

Give this little gem a chance. Odds are you won't be disappointed.
106 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stylish neo-noir.
Latheman-94 June 2003
The Salton Sea is a hypersaline artificial body of water accidentally created when engineers lost control of the Colorado River flow with which they were replenishing irrigation canals in California's Imperial Valley. For two years (1905-1907), the Colorado River was uncontrollably diverted from its natural course, filling the Salton Trough (part of the San Andreas Fault) before finally being set back on course. Since then, the Salton Sea continues to be replenished by irrigation runoff with no means of outflow except evaporation. It lies approximately 130 miles northeast of San Diego at the lowest point of the Sonoran Desert (278 feet below sea level). In that part of the world, the temperatures in summer, effectively April through November, can reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit, or even higher. In recent years, it has experienced massive fish and bird kills. In short, the Salton Sea is an apt metaphor for Hell ... which is just where Danny Parker/Tom Van Allen (Val Kilmer) finds himself at the beginning of this film, surrounded by flames. "The Salton Sea" is a highly stylized movie in which nearly all elements are executed well. The acting is generally excellent. Kilmer in the lead role does his best work since "Tombstone", and Vincent D'Onofrio, an actor for whom I don't ordinarily care, is utterly convincing as the demented crank dealer Pooh Bear. He was so good I forgot I was watching D'Onofrio. Excellent supporting performances are contributed by Peter Sarsgaard as Danny/Tom's best friend, Doug Hutchison and Anthony LaPaglia as the two L.A. County Sheriff's deputies for whom Danny snitches, and Adam Goldberg as tweaker-in-residence Kujo. Even the minor characters of Creeper (Ricky Trammell), Big Bill (Josh Todd), and the gun seller (Mpho Koaho) are portrayed to perfection. My only complaint is that Deborah Kara Unger simply wasn't able to pull off her part as the strung-out lowlife Colette, perhaps because she's just too beautiful to be convincing in such a role. As an anti-parallel, imagine Danny Trejo cast as James Bond.

Cinematography and editing were top notch, and the production design for this film was fantastic, from the diseased walls of Danny/Tom's apartment to the Level 4 biohazard lab in the 'Kujo's Big Heist' segment, with technicians wearing space suits that look like they came directly from Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey". Even the smallest details were done with style, such as the flames cascading down Danny/Tom's arm from the sunburst tattoo centered on the scar of his shoulder wound. The intricate plot of Tony Gayton's script requires the viewer's suspension of disbelief at some points, but not enough to detract significantly from the overall merit of the movie. This is a very strong feature film debut for director D.J. Caruso, and I look forward to his future work. One of the best films I've seen in the last three years, "The Salton Sea" is definitely worth watching. Rating: 8/10
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie, it's just that simple...
dcobbimdb2 July 2004
This movie was great, this time I'm actually glad I took the Blockbuster guy's advice and rented it. It's not like LOTR or a Rocky movie where you come out feeling like you're on top of the world, but you will feel spun like by a great rollercoaster. I wouldn't say it starts off slow, but it definitely eases you into things, then move on to the drug fests and the story starts to take shape, but without really revealing itself all at once. As you watch more, you get that much more involved and gripped. I found myself really captured by the movie to the point of having anxiety myself in some of the Poo bear scenes. So towards the end I was strapped to my chair waiting to see what was going to happen, I did care about Kilmer's character, and I loved it how the movie keeps you guessing and on your seat till the end. Being such a dark movie though, it wouldn't have been so memorable for me if the ending had been different.

Kilmer's performance was good and he held his own, but Vincent D'Onofrio was brilliant in his role of Poo bear. I also liked the scene with Bobby `hobby' as it was definitely memorable.

I loved this movie, but as other reviews have said, if you are faint of heart then this movie is not for you. It is dark, druggy, very pawn scum of life kind of thing, and you watch it with your guts in a knot for some of the movie, but it's worth the knot I tell you! Did I mention that I liked the ending too? Even though it was a dark movie overall, I left with the sensation of `Damn that was a good movie…'
51 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A true attention-getter of a film.
gridoon3 March 2004
Excellent adult thriller. Stylish, intense, funny and unexpectedly moving. Intricately plotted (it will always be one step ahead of you) and fluidly, inventively directed (including a unique twist on Eastwood's classic "Did I fire six bullets...or only five?" line). Well-acted, especially by Kilmer. The less you know about it beforehand the better, though, so I'll just add this: this film is not always pleasant to watch, but it has personality and will take you on quite a journey. Don't read about it, see it. (***)
81 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kilmer's best yet
lagapalooza25 May 2003
This is the back shelf treasure that everyone hopes for when browsing the not-so-recent releases at the video store. Pay attention to the other reviews posted here - they're not kidding. This is a very well made film on every level. Great script, acting is standout, direction is thoughtful and involved. Not for kids.
42 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
...A decent mystery, darkish thriller, some noir, drugs, love lost, and cops...
HuckDJ25 January 2005
The Salton Sea is an interesting film. It is a film that looks initially to be about drugs and the people who take them. Val Kilmer is in the lead role as a tweaker of crystal meth, and other substances, as well as a quite good sounding trumpet player. He begins by telling the viewer, via narration, explaining that he does not know who he really is and asks you to decide as we wind back through a recent period of his life to see how he came to where we first meet him.

The movie gets its title from a key event to the film occurred at the Salton Sea and Kilmer's character has a huge tattoo in memory of this.

What unravels is an intricate mystery that holds the viewers' attention but only just. The story is quite good but it is not in your face as one might expect a film of this acting calibre. It sunk at the cinema but maybe due to its art-house feel and advertising did not communicate this.

Vincent D'Onofrio is nearly unrecognizably as unpredictable drug dealer Pooh Bear, named as such because of his flat nose, and Danny Trejo is here as one of his scary henchmen.

If you are looking for a decent mystery, darkish thriller, some noir, drugs, love lost, and cops, then you could not go far wrong renting The Salton Sea.
56 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kilmer captures me in Salton Sea
monika-woods18 November 2006
Val Kilmer in Salton Sea is about as close to home as anything for me in this movie. He looks like just another guy on the streets of So Cal back in the 80's, looking for a quick high, with no idea of consequence. Salton Sea is a beautiful location that many don't know of. Kilmer's performance carries one through the movie effortlessly. From the intricacies of the actual life he portrays to the unshown details of the tenderness of the characters heart, "Salton Sea" delivers a complete package of salty and sweet. I would have never rented the movie had it been any other actor. The only reason I was drawn to the movie, was the title, because so few people know of the hidden gem in the California desert, and I had been there as a child. The theme was a place that I unfortunately also visited and I feel that the movie delivers a compelling reason for people to think before the act. To realize that there is always more than meets the eye.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A real classic
tlazar399 February 2004
Although having seen this seemingly obscure movie for the first time a few months ago, I truly feel like it makes my Top 15 list. Val Kilmer is convincing as a tweaker and has a crew around him that is priceless for their absolute comedic value (of course this is all with their brains on chemical overload). Also, Vincent D'onofrio is brilliant as Pooh Bear (especially when you consider his Law & Order CI character "Goran").

I like this film becuase of the complexity of the story, the graphic and sobering nature of Danny Parker's drug culture and the intermittent comedic value with Pooh Bear, Kujo, Finn and Creeper.

A must see if you have the chance to find this hardly publicized film.
42 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Underrated, Dark Sea Of Mystery!
TheAnimalMother5 November 2009
*Very Minor, Undetailed Plot Spoiler Warning*

Director D.J. Caruso has run into decent fame as of late after directing Eagle Eye, (Which I thought was pretty terrible by the way.), and the very popular Disturbia, (Which is basically a reversion of Hitchcock's classic thriller Rear Window.). However, I believe that he should be most recognized for this little gem of a film from his more distant past, 2002's The Salton Sea.

One of the greatest things about The Salton Sea is that it unravels in very unexpected ways. Wrapping up the viewer in some dark unknown mystery, that piece by piece becomes clearer and clearer as the intriguingly masked plot unfolds into a tale of drugs, dirty law enforcement, love and revenge. From the visuals, to the dialogue, from the acting, to the delivery, The Salton Sea really is a gritty, enjoyable, and somewhat unique piece of work.

Don't even bother with the plot hole scenarios that some people are conjuring up out of the thin air resting between their ears. The truth is that they just didn't pay enough attention to the details while watching this underrated little diamond in the rough. If you like dark, gritty mysteries, take your mind for a dive into The Salton Sea.

17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Kilmer In A Great Flick
Signet15 December 2002
Val Kilmer has made some of the most peculiar and daring career choices of any actor now working. His decision to appear in the disastrous remake of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" with Marlon Brando could have sunk him once and for all, save for his exceedingly nasty (and accurate) impersonation of Brando, tics and all, late in the film. Now, as his features have thickened and he is well past his pretty boy phase ( something he can apparently give up, and Tom Cruise wouldn't dare: we might notice there was no talent underneath the face cream), he is assuming roles that make full use of this brutalized looks. SALTON SEA is a magnificent performance in a wholly satisfying film, with Kilmer being fully assisted by a dazzling supporting cast. There are elements of classical balance in this story that make it not merely intellectually stimulating but emotionally moving. It has everything: great acting, great writing, and great directing. Don't miss it.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Underated
blake19796 October 2003
I saw this movie for one reason Val Kilmer, he has a gift of bringing characters together in interesting ways. It was a great film that I wish there was more buzz about. The "tweakers" are very interesting especially with their schemes. Also Vincent D'Onofrio as Pooh Bear is great! Definately worth seeing twice.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty good
Lupercali29 August 2004
This is a moody, creepy thriller which reminds me a great deal of Philip K Dick's 'A Scanner Darkly' in some respects. Val Kilmer isn't exactly amazing (is he ever?) but he gets the job done. Most of the movie's high points come from the portrayal of the mindset of the drug subculture. Again, I'm reminded so much of PKD's comment about kids "playing in the road" even after they watched their friends getting run over one after another.

A couple of the flashback/hallucination sequences were a little confusing, but I got the general drift. The film has a seedy, nasty, slightly hallucinogenic quality to it. Kilmer seems slightly out of place - not messed up enough. Actually, that ends up making sense, but I won't give anything away.

Not a great film, but different and stylish enough to deserve the 7.2 average it currently enjoys here. That's about what I'd give it.

Also nice to see a drug/crime thriller where everything isn't blowing up every 30 seconds.

Oh, I forgot to mention: there are a few scenes in the film that are really darn funny. How that doesn't ruin the mood of the thing, I don't know, because it's a bit like laughing at a car wreck.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
****1/2 out of 5
casey_choas6615 September 2002
Val Kilmer stars as Tom, a trumpet player, or is that Danny, a low life tweaker? I don't know, you decide. This film is a tense crime drama or was that a journey through the human mind with comedic overtones like Fight Club, or could it have been a drug analogy like Trainspotting? I don't know, you decide. The theme of the film involves one mans quest for vengence or was it one mans quest to renew himself, maybe it was one mans quest to find his identity? I don't know, you decide. Get the picture yet? Val Kilmer is one man with two identites. As Tom he is out to hunt down the men who killed his wife. As Danny he is helping a pair of cops make their drug busts to keep him out of jail. Both men are walking down the same path but they come to a fork in the road. Path one, forget everything and take the easy way out. Path two, the long hard road to success filled with corruption, greed, scandal and drugs galore. At the end of either path, Poo Bear, a fat, psychotic, rec-neck drug dealer with no nose. The story is very complex and director D.J, Caruso does a fabulous job od weaving together the life of Tom and the life od Danny and brings them together very nicely in the end. I also like how he portrays Danny as a guy who isn't really in tune with reality. Curaso's camera movement make it seem like the world is going on around him, but Danny doesn't seem to be living in it. Val Kilmer is finally given a role that he can shine in and Vincent D'Onofrio is either an idiot or a genious for taking one the role of Poo-Bear, one of the most original villians I have seen in years. The film is brilliant in how complex in which the story is told but that is also the films biggest downfall. It has so many genres rolled into one that it is often tedious until about half way through when the film finally finds itself and steadies out. It's original, it's complex, it's compelling, it suspenseful, it's funny and it's honest, it's everything you could ask for but is it worth checking out? I don't know, I haven't decided yet, but I like it's odds.
28 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nicely turned thriller about speed
pksky110 August 2003
This movie is all about speed or meth, the synthetic stimulant used as a recreational drug. It's a bit of a parable too, but it's rather hard to figure out what it all means. The story focuses on one character who finds himself deep in the speed drug scene, but as the story progresses we find that he is more then he seems to be. ... or maybe it is less. It is an unusual film with some nice bold strokes in cinematography.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My name is Tom Van Allen. I'm a trumpet player.
Spikeopath20 September 2012
The Salton Sea is directed by D. J. Caruso and written by Tony Gayton. It stars Val Kilmer, Vincent D'Onofrio, Peter Sarsgard, Doug Hutchinson, Anthony LaPaglia, Debora Kara Unger, Adam Goldberg and Luis Guzmán. Music is scored by Thomas Newman and cinematography by Amir Mokri.

Danny Parker (Kilmer) is hanging out with a bunch of methamphetamine users, apparently in an effort to numb the pain of his one time life that saw his wife murdered. Or is he? The word of mouth for it was strong, but no sooner did it hit cinemas than it disappeared off the face of the earth. However, the cult cinema world is often a vibrant place to lurk, enter there and you find The Salton Sea, a wonderfully tricksy and off beat neo-noir awash with misery, revenge, redemption and odd ball characters that are either stuck in purgatory, or heading to nowhereville.

Protagonist Danny Parker leads the film, a man whose identity is fractured after being dealt a blow from the hands of fate, very much in limbo mentally, he none the less has goals to achieve, nothing is never quite as it seems until director Caruso wants us in on the side-shifts. Danny is often in the company of danger and weird characters, from a hopped up harpoon wielding loon, to a no nose psycho (too much meth up the nose will make you lose it kids), via dirty cops and meth heads, it's a world of unease, the twisty plot drawing the viewer in with a kinky smile on its face.

Caruso also pulls off the neat trick of placing humour in this off kilter world without hurting the dramatic harshness of the thematics. There's a quite brilliant sequence that shows a botched crime being attempted by the meth head crew, this we watch at the same time as they discuss about actually pulling the crime off. That it involves a stool sample from Bob Hope should tell you all you need to know about the intelligence of the wannabe perps! Caruso's camera is fluid and he uses certain neo-noir visual tricks of the trade as well (time lapses etc), and he also has a knack for varying the mood without avertying the slowly bubbling to the surface pace that the story requires.

Kilmer is superb, perfectly low-key, there is no need for rage, the yearning for revenge and redemption, for identity, is brought out via calmly delivered dialect, and it's very affecting. D'Onofrio as Pooh Bear, the afore mentioned no nose fella, steals the movie with another of his off the planet nut-jobs. Elsewhere, Sarsgard is as appealing as he has ever been as Danny's stoner best mate, Hutchinson and LaPaglia cut fine figures as dirty cops, while Guzmán and Danny Trejo leave an impressively grungy mark. The only disappointment is the lack of screen time for Kara Unger, a fine actress, she is playing what turns out to be a critical femme fatale role, but really we needed more of her. It's a rare misstep in an otherwise cracking neo-noir that is highly recommended to fans of similarly devilishly fun pictures. 8.5/10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow...I thought this movie was going to suck.
cdygrn11 October 2006
The synopsis and inclusion of Val Kilmer wasn't promising, but this movie turned out to be very entertaining and I recommend it for anyone looking for a decent action/drama. I think Kilmer does an amazing job. I don't want to give details away, so I'll be brief. Whether or not it is a work of genius, I don't know, but I do know that it is worth renting. It has it's weaker moments, using narration and flashback ineffectively (in my opinion). I think they could've changed up the order of many of the scenes. Really that is just being picky, everyone will enjoy this movie. I watch a lot of movies. This one is better than most.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollywood Glamour. This film's technique is hot!
kristoffe brodeur30 May 2006
This film is a hidden gem, and if you've seen it, Trainspotting, Fight Club, and others of this shiny Hollywood dirty, then you know what I mean. Everything is perfectly dark, muggy, and setup for us to believe it. I've made film for about 10 years, and helped in every level of cinema. This helps when I see films of this nature and stylization.

Val Kilmer's jewelry, add on tattoos, green hair dye mixed with his placement inside of the tweakers, addicts, in this film is great. Similar to Moulin Rouge, the setting is introduced to us in a lar, quick montage, and everything is carefully placed, or their talent to do this is inherient even in quick editing and set decisions. Look for everything you can, including a passed out tweaker under a tree in the hot noon day light as the characters leave for more gank. It reminds me of the tiny things you'll see watching over and over with FIght Club in the first half of the film.

Great political references, perfect prop usage, and very believable character development, Hollywood style albeit, is what makes this film so good to watch. I can't help but to constantly reference other films with this, because it reminds me so much of all the great moments of others I love so much. ANother film that has this lone Elvis like character and the whole drug scenario is True Romance. The use of abused women as a character focus seems to parallel as well.

I hope this film gets more play and recognition, or maybe I don't. This has a certain bad taste about the whole thing, because there's no real hero, and nobody wins in the end. I believe that's what holds it back in the limelight of American cinema, where we are spoon fed simple answers of happy or sad endings with concrete answers. This film, like that of Memento, has a formula that is not unique, but allows the viewer to investigate their own interpretations of the piece at hand. Maybe that's why the allure to it's dirty, unfinished environment is so captivating, because when the story let's you decide some parts even if it's extremely well illuminated, you can come back time and time again to enjoy the mystery that this film is.

Is it the best film ever? Certainly not, but then again, almost every piece of cinema has flaws and is unfinished, even the greats, so I have to say from the viewer to the producer, watching this film and taking it in is both a pleasure for craft, style, and emotional string pulling.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than average neo-noir, beautifully shot.
Stephen McMenamin23 July 2005
Val Kilmer gives us Tom Van Allen, a jazz musician embarked on a quest through the world of methamphetamine dealers, users and other predators. Kilmer is wonderful, as usual, in this alternately harrowing and hilarious post-Pulp Fiction noir thriller.

The whole cast is pretty wonderful as well. I especially enjoyed Vincent D'Onofrio as an eccentric drug dealer who has clearly been too long in the high desert.

The real standout element of the film, however, is the photography by Amir Mokri. Unlike some neo-noir, Mokri and director D.J. Caruso effectively balance high-key daytime shots with the darker interior and night shots, and all of them are excellently done.

The best elements of the screenplay are the many funny scenes, including a might-have-been heist gone wrong, a recreation of the JFK assassination, and a wonderful update of the "Easy Andy" scene from Taxi Driver.

The Salton Sea is worth seeing for fans of Kilmer, noir or both.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
About as dead and polluted as the lake it was named after.
acearms1 January 2004
After the first 10 or so minutes I was almost ready to turn it off. The repetitious scenes of a drug den just did not appeal to me. Obviously I watched the entire movie. It turned out that Kilmer is playing the part of a man looking for his wife's killer with out the aid of the police and was doing the drug world as well as interfacing as a rat, stool pigeon for older folks, with bad cops to catch him. The bad cops turn out to be the killers he is seeking. Multiple flash backs blend the past with the present to reveal what has happened and connect the story line. The FBI gets involved and confirms the suspicions as to who the real killer was. Then they set up a sting operation, however, Kilmer's character goes off on a tangent and does his own thing. In the end he does do in his wife's killer, but almost gets killed by another hostile druggie in his own apartment. Get past the first 15 minutes and its worth the time to watch.
Completely freaky ending
e_tippett12 November 2003
I had a hard time at the end figuring out if he died or not or if it was all just some speed freak dream. I found the imagery disturbing-it was definitely a new trick for Val and he pulled it off pretty well except for the hair some of the time. He is older than the other freaks and tweakers in the film but he never seems out of place. But please, some low level user is going to get that close to big time dealers in a year or less? He looked way too healthy for one thing-that should have been a tip-off to Pooh-bear. I just never bought how fast he went from Joe Average to the poster child for Gak Anonymous.
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
yayamagic3 September 2003
I like my wild rides tainted with some sentiment and civility - and this movie delivers.

When confronted with the offer to participate in the absurd Bob Hope/Ebay caper, Danny Parker says "I'll pass, thank you" and Jimmy Finn says "I'm good."

I love how polite Danny is - when talking to Quincy or to the cops or especially to his friend Jimmy Finn. In this wild wild world of the meth tweeker scene, I appreciated this bit of civility. This movie had some wonderful moments for me, and the scenes between Jimmy Finn and Danny are my favorites.

Val and Vincent starred in two of my favorite movies - Tombstone and Household Saints and now I'm adding The Salton Sea.
Dreadful
robinandlynne25 January 2003
I mean dreadful quite literally as in: full of dread. Dread is not the same thing as suspense. I felt like throwing up. This whole thing would've gone down better with an audience if they knew early on what Val's deal was with the bad cops. The actors are great...it's not their fault. The editing breaks this movie. You know when you are more worried about the captive, hungry badger than you are about your hero's balls, that the movie has a real problem with tone.

Phooey! Too much sadism even though the violence happens mostly off screen... like beer commercials drink off screen. It's worse really.

Too bad. A waste of good actors and probably a good director too. Some really good sequences. The history at the beginning. The tweaks silly rip-off scheam. Funny stuff. Like i said... a problem with tone.

Ah well, an interesting failure.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Realistic, but still a good movie
michael9452328 April 2002
most of the tweakers I have ever met were just not that sophisticated. by the time they got to that level of addiction everybody was slammin, they had sores all over their bodies, there teeth were rotted out, all of the women and men did whatever "it took" to score. Very sad.

on the other hand it was pretty interesting. great tattoo's, cinematography was done very well, loved the soundtrack, what a waste of "Deborah Kara Unger's" acting abilities.

Now on to the main reason I went to see this film "D'Onofrio"! What a fantastic performance. He made this movie. That wheeziness throughout his dialogue made his character beliveable. Plus his total disregard for morality.

Overall this was a good movie, just not very accurate.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Did these guys see the same movie as me?
rocket8526 April 2002
I don't think I'm giving anything away here - not on purpose anyway... ...not that there is actually anything of any interest to give away in this pic. My god, this was bad... yikes!

There were 3 sort of okay movies here: - a standard cliche revenge fest - a wacky buddy pic - a modern nor nod to "Lost Weekend"

The problem is... all mixed together they just make a big mess. The director obviously realises this, as Kilmer has to do voice overs through the whole movie to make up for there being no coherent narrative structure to carry the plot.

What the movie is NOT - and this is a shame, because at least in San Francisco this is how it is being marketed - is as a daring insider expose' of tweaker culture. Quite the opposite - it is a silly cartoon version of tweaker culture as it might be rendered by a small town narcotics cop... with an occasional moment that looks like the writer paid some street addict 100 bucks to tell him what his life is "really" like.

In short, at it's best, and viewed entirely through the lens of intense ironic detachment, it was some passable modern version of Refer Madness.

At it's worst... well, don't buy the large popcorn - you may not feel like staying long enough to eat it all.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ridiculous, completely illogical, waste of time
the_hamburger_man20 August 2004
This review will gloss over the basic plot to show just how ridiculously illogical it is. The only reason that this movie is considered "clever" is because the main character's background/circumstances are slowly fed to us during the movie; however, I'm going to give it to you in chronological order. I recommend that you read this review and then decide whether you really want to see this film. If you do choose to go ahead and watch it, keep these points in mind...

****SPOILERS AHEAD!****

1) Clean, average-Joe, main character takes his wife to a meth lab for no reason indicated, where she is killed in a police raid/robbery shoot-out.

2) Main character comes up with a revenge plan which requires himself to become a hardcore drug addict so that he can pose as an informant to the police who conducted the raid.

3) The FBI works with our hardcore drug addict hero to assist him in his revenge on the police -- because making such wise decisions as becoming a drug addict wouldn't lessen your credibility with the FBI one bit.

The meth cook is a nose-less redneck freak who lives out in the desert and spends his free time recreating the Kennedy assassination with pigeons and toy cars, when he isn't feeding people's genitals to his pet badger.

Other reviewers say that this film accurately portrays the lives of meth addicts and meth cooks. I think they are on meth if they believe that. 1/10 Just plain bad!
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this