The Matrix Reloaded (2003) Poster

2,735 Reviews
One of the greatest action movies of all time!
ivo-cobra815 November 2015
The Matrix Reloaded (2003) is the greatest action movie of all time and a good sequel to the original The Matrix (1999) that I went to see it with my mom in the movie theater in 1999 when the movie come out. I love this movie even if some people are saying is not that good I still love it and love The Matrix Revolutions as well. It is one of my personal favorite Keanue Reeves movies.

Granted things get bigger and a little darker. The visual effects, go way overboard and the CGI does not bleed in well with the live action. Nonetheless Reloaded is a fun film to watch. The visual aspects blows out of the water. The soundtracks to this movie are pretty good and they are fine of mix songs to the movie.

The sequel to successful original movie is an awesome film. Not just a visual wonder but the ambitious storytelling that demands more than your average action film. A wonderful follow up to the outstanding original and a great precursor to the inevitable finale. While it doesn't strictly adhere to normal flow of most films, that is one of its best traits. While it has its flaws, it makes for a fantastically entertaining experience. Not for those who don't want to think too much.

It is a good sequel who doesn't deserve to be hated for it. Keanu Reeves and all other cast crew did outstanding performance on their works. Nearly 12 years later have passed since no movie has come close to tapping into the myth, world and action that was created in Matrix Reloaded. For fans of action movies, the story can be as straight forward as you wish it to be, following the path of Neo as man kinds savior. For those who wish to dive deeper, you can see how far the rabbit whole really goes because the amount of hidden references, back plots and information in this movie is immense. For a film The Matrix fans this wouldn't be an action movie without some action. There's plenty of it, and it's perfectly done. The CGI effects creating more Smiths were astonish, were cutting-edge for the time, and still look great (whoever said differently below is simply incorrect) -- even if they're completely commonplace today. Insane action ensues as a well done plot follows.

Neo (Keanu Reeves) saving Trinity on the end of the film and than he collapses in to come was awesome and great ending with a cliffhanger so that viewer keeps guessing what will happened next, in the next movie that was just great. The Neo vs Smith fight is just excellent as is the Freeway chase. More Smiths (Hugo Weaving) I think Hugo Weaving did a perfect job as Agent Smith in this follow up sequel. I love his character and I think he is one of the best villains ever. Neo vs a 1000 Smiths fight scene just blew me away/ the martial arts were outstanding action sequences. Overall it is a good film at least it is for me. I will never understand the hate for the sequels for it. At the same time, the complexity of the storyline, and the unexpected plot twists left many viewers a little (or a lot!) confused. We'll admit that it's taken several viewings for us to figure some things out, and that there are still lots of pieces we haven't put into place. Some answers, we're sure, will not be revealed until Revolutions, and some will never be revealed. There are no words for Hugo Weaving except badass!

Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, and the rest of their crew continue to battle the machines that have enslaved the human race in the Matrix. Now, more humans are waking up out of the matrix and attempting to live in the real world. As their numbers grow, the battle moves to Zion, the last real-world city and center of human resistance. That is the basic main plot and it is good so I am giving 9/10 for been a good action movie. It is one of my personal favorite Keanu Reeves movies.
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but the heavy plot and Shakespearean tone makes it more difficult for itself
bob the moo2 June 2003
News reaches Zion of an army of sentinels amassing on the surface many miles above the city, clearly preparing for an invasion. While the city prepares for a counter attack on the sentinels, Morpheus pins his hopes on Neo and obeys orders to stay with broadcast range to allow Neo to meet with the Oracle. Neo meanwhile is plagued with dreams of Trinty's death in the matrix. When the Oracle does contact Neo, she tells him of The KeyMaker – the man who can get him access to the very source of the matrix. A rescue mission is mounted which is complicated by not only the agents, but rogue programmes and the return of a `freed' Agent Smith.

Many reviews (here and in the press) have tended to go one way or the other. Some have lavished praise on this film claiming it as a milestone and even better than the original, others have hated it and laid into it heavily. I'm not wanting to sit on the fence but I do feel that both camps have valid points and that the answer is somewhere in the middle. The main reason I found it hard to get into this film was the heavy tone it has now developed. Seemingly the same bug that the Star Wars movies have caught (taking themselves too seriously) the matrix appears in danger of getting in a bad way. The plot here is quite straightforward and not as twisty as the original – however it is delivered as if every line of dialogue was profound. This really sucks the life out of the film as it is not profound but rather borders on the pretentious at times due to it's delivery.

I suspect that this was spotted and so the film is unnecessarily cluttered with minor characters that detract from the central tale. And so screen time is given to Link and his wife as well as a seemingly pointless speech from Merovingian. This makes it feel baggy and also slightly unsatisfactory when these strands appear to go nowhere but only fill time. Also the plot is a little too complex (all this rogue programme stuff) and isn't delivered in a user friendly way – it is not always clear what the significance of certain things are until later in the film and even then it is uneven. However both these criticisms will be countered if, in Revolutions, these strands are brought together and minor characters in Reloaded are shown to have a bigger input.

On the plus side the action is very good. I must admit that it wasn't as exciting as the original mainly because the plot wasn't as involving to me – I need a good story generally to get into the action side. However in honesty the action still looks great and is a real leap forward from the Matrix – a great blend of wire work and visual effects. Occasionally the special effects are slightly wanting (in Neo's fight with Agent Smiths it is clear when it is a visual effect rather than the real thing) but these are minor quibbles compared to some sterling work. The car chase on the freeway may be a very easy way to get an action scene but it still works very well and is exciting. The only downside to it is that I felt that an action scene should have been part of the end of the film – instead the `big' scene occurs a good 20 minutes before the end of the film. The actual cliff-hanger itself doesn't really work and it could have done better with a general downbeat ending like Empire Strikes back had – did it think I needed a reason to watch part 3? I'm already there!

The acting suffers from the same problems as the plot – it is all too heavy. The clearest way this is seen is in Fishburne. In part 1 he was very good, especially when he exposed Neo to the matrix with a mix of playful wit and serious touches when they were needed. Here in part 2 he seems to be mistaken that he is playing Othello again. Watch him speaking to the crowds at Zion, he really plays it like he is playing Moses or something. In fact all through the film he is very heavy – even compare his big fight with his previous face-off with Smith in part 1, there he was human and vulnerable here he is more like a rock and less fun for it. Moss is also serious but she was in part 1 too so it's not so noticeable. Reeves is good and at least adds some humour but he plays it very serious again. The additions add colour but are mostly distractions. The support cast in part 1 were merely there, here the film feels it has to develop them to make a rich tapestry but the end result is it feeling too stretched. It's hard not to watch Pinkett-Smith and feel that her character is more to do with the video game than the film itself. Happily Hugo Weaving is fun and is back with his old sneer, while the twins are good value despite having minimal plot impact.

Overall it was always going to be hard to follow up the first film. There the plot was gripping and it is difficult to make the growth of Neo's powers as interesting as his discovery of them was. I enjoyed the film but just felt that the almost biblical significance that it tries to give itself was it's undoing – luckily the action and style was it's salvation. Hopefully I will watch Revolutions and see how Reloaded works better in hindsight. Without that knowledge, many of the plot strands appear to be left loose. If I watched this as a film by itself then it would be irritating – if the conclusion to the trilogy can get back to the enjoyment and tone and spectacle of the matrix at it's best then this will be a much better film in company of it's brothers. Far from perfect but I don't see how anyone can totally write this film off.
145 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps overloaded, but definitely groundbreaking
jazzzjasper26 February 2004
Watching The Matrix Reloaded, one is absolutely entitled to say that it is overloaded, too lengthy action sequences for instance, and indeed, a way too lengthy dancing scene in Zion. But next to that, it is obvious that this sequal to The Matrix (1999)takes the story to a whole new dimension. Different characters define the working of the matrix, and the meaning of life itself, in different ways, depending on their onthological background. A conclusion is not (yet) given, which adds to the movie a kind of postmodern quality. For as far as the action sequences are concerned: Groundbreaking. You'll see stuff that you've never seen before. Sometimes the scenes are a little lengthy, which harmes the narrative, but that is compensated easily by the visual spectacle. And yes, the Architect at the end is difficult to understand, but when you watch the film more than once, you'll find out that it does make sense what he says. All together this movie may not be as fantastic as 'The Matrix', but it is definitely a good movie that will keep you thinking for a while.
82 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only thing this film lacks is the element of surprise!
MinorityReporter4 January 2006
The Matrix Reloaded has everything you could possibly want from a summer blockbuster but it like its predecessor has a heck of a lot more and while Reloaded is not as good as the first Matrix film it sure is close to the standard of the original. I don't understand the seeming reluctance to accept this film a suitable continuation of the original film. I'll be the first one to admit that Reloaded has a few slow points and that the story line has a tendency towards the pretentious but the film is also highly intelligent and entertaining but most importantly the film gets the story from A to B with adequate and in some cases remarkable character development.

Acting wise the film is in the same kind of league as the first film of the series with a few mediocre performances, a few decent performances and one or two excellent performances. Keanu Reeves plays Neo pretty much like he did in the first movie and that is not bad. His monotone voice is canceled out by his clear and well defined body language. His overall performance is very fitting for the character which, lets face it, is somewhat square and Keanu's acting fits that kind of character very well. Carrie-Anne Moss has taken a small step down. I don't blame her as much as I blame the writing. Her character, while still ass-kicking, is too dependent on Neo. I know they love each other but come on. Laurence Fishbourne shines as Morpheus. His performance is slightly more stylized than in the first film but he steals almost every scene he is in. Other semi-known actors make glorified cameos. Actors like Jada Pinkett Smith, Monica Bellucci and Lambert Wilson are great examples. Gloria Foster returns as the Oracle in her (sadly) last performance as she died during the filming. Her one brief scene is both highly interesting and well acted. As it was with the first film Hugo Weaving provides the best acting by far. Although his screen time is somewhat limited he manages to leave a lasting impression and becomes one of my favorite screen baddies of all time. His performance is for lack of a better word fantastic.

Effect wise Reloaded is a feast. There is literally something to look at in every scene. The "real" world has been given a face lift to make it more interesting. The real effects, however, take place inside the matrix and just like in the first film the effects are absolutely ground breaking. Rivaling the likes of Star Wars and LotR and that is saying something. The people who think the story is pretentious and the dialog stubby will undoubtedly get their adrenaline fix in the action scenes. Some scenes had me holding my breath and gasping at how beautiful and overwhelming it all was and as much as I love the philosophical aspects of the film I can watch it for the effects themselves as well. Without spoiling anything I can say that lovers of cool fight scenes and fx are in for a hell of a treat with this one.

In terms of costumes the film has really grown into its own. Especially Neo's costume in The Matrix is very cool and is a great improvement over the previous film. Morpheus' and Trinity's costumes are the same with minor changes and they still look cool. Agent Smith's costume has changed slightly in the color scheme. His suit has become a bit darker as if to signify that he is no longer an Agent of the system but a rogue agent now. Also his sunglasses have changed so that they look more rounded so they look more like Neo's sunglasses which of course implicates their connection. Many of the secondary characters have their own costumes as well mirroring their own personalities.

Were the film separated itself from other action packed films is of course in the underlying philosophical and religious aspects. Once the film has been watched a few times for the effects you can begin to see some of the elements. I don't think its possible to fully translate and analyze every element of the film. Mainly because every element can be analyzed in a bunch of different ways. Without spoiling too much I can say that if you look hard enough you will be able to find Plato, Baudrillard, Gnosticism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christian elements and some more. The people who tell matrix lovers to get a life for searching the Matrix for a deeper meaning ought to open their eyes and watch the film one more time. With that I'm not saying that you can't be intelligent if you don't like the Matrix I am simply asking you to give it another chance. You really won't regret it.

The Matrix Reloaded is an excellent film and it deserves a lot more respect than it is getting and it is definitely underrated. I don't expect people to agree but I do expect people to respect those who love the Matrix sequels like me. I for one think that its hard to go wrong with Reloaded as it is funny, moving, awe-inspiring and very intelligent. I highly recommend this film to anyone.

159 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trying to see the bigger picture
frippegod22 June 2005
*** This comment contains spoilers ***

It's a pity Reloaded looks and feels so much like a bad sequel, to so many. Even to me to begin with even if I kind of enjoyed parts of the ride, a lot. But to me it helps looking at it as a bridge between beginning and end. As a part of a whole. The concept is so promising. I haven't had the chance to see the Animatrix yet, but surely I will. I guess I will spend hours with the game too. In Matrix I just love how interwoven and in balance the storyline is with the way its told. It reached out and grabbed almost everyone. This time around it seems as if there was too much to tell and too many dollars to play with in too short a time. Less balance. Still.. I'm thrilled.

Spoilers ahead. (You might need them) Matrix is so wonderfully mythological. Instead of being ethnocentric it puts the light on eternal religious questions in such a universal way. At the same time it formulates the original reason, philosophical questions. It is about knowledge and faith, belief. Controll through both sense and sensibility. The conflict between gnosticism and Judae-Christianity if we look in the rear mirror.

At the same time it is so biblical to a westerner like me. I won't bore you with all the name symbolism but with Neo himself. His actual name is Tomas Anderson and he is caught in the system (like everyone else in the years leading up to Y2K). In the bible Tomas is the disbeliever, and Tomas also means twin. Anders means man, as in Andros- (android). He is the doubtful son of man who is like the rest of us, who becomes Neo, the new one. At the same time it mirrors the first of Christianity and how it focused on the individual. There is no need for priests or churches (system) for the individual to reach the transcendent, for man to reach God. (And our heroes are individuals in small groups that fight the system, like viruses in a computer. (I just love that Nebukadnessar looks like a bug.)

In the first film we see the creation of (the believing) man. In Reloaded the religious theme takes a step back. Instead it is Free will vs. Determinism which is the main conflict. Thereby the existential perspectives which were planted in the first film can be developed. Here it is amusing to relate to the first existentialists that focused so much on free will and choice, Friedrich Nietsche and Soren Kirkegaard (one atheist and one Christian. The first captain to enroll freely in the final battle is called Soren).

Knowledge and faith remains as a conflict in Reloaded here represented by Lock and Morpheus. John Locke is called the father of The age of enlightenment which is the time of reason in our history. To me it looks like as if the Wachowski brothers are writing a mythological history of ideas for our time. Finally they might embrace even time after the postmodern.

There is a hint of a cycle here. Matrix is about birth, Reloaded about life and Revolutions about death (rebirth). Matrix is the becoming of man. Reloaded is man as a builder of theories and civilizations. Power and control is formed and developed. The Merovingian (400-600) are called the first kings of Europe and are known for their writing and the characters in their written language. (I am sure that you can find parallels to this "code" in the Matrix-code.) Anyway Merovingian is the one who has the 'key master' (the key to power and control?) The middle ages with its mystery and ghosts (lack of reason and empirical method) follows and can be seen in the set design, armor and weapons.

The middle ages were followed by The renaissance with all its use of Greek mythology The wife of Merovingian is Persephone who actually emphasizes on the rebirth theme because she gives our heroes a second chance to get to the 'key master', and as a goddess she is symbolized by a grain that can sprout.

Then comes The age of enlightenment with reason and empirical method which created the necessary conditions for a new conception of the world and industrialism. The living-conditions thereby changed radically for people which resulted in the revolutions of the 19th century and ideologically in the first existentialists, Soren and Friedrich. (Existentialism had a new upsurge when God had left us all alone once again and the world fell apart, during and after WW1 and WW2 during last century. ) The myth can be said to have survived by fleeing into the music and later into film via melodrama. Which leads us to were we and Matrix are right now.

I guess I just had too high expectations when I saw Reloaded the first time. It got better when I saw it a second time and right now it is one of my favorite friends, or bedtime stories. Too bad Reloaded is made in such a way that most people seem to (eventually) enjoy and point out the cinematography at its best. The saga deserves more.

Anyway The Matrix concept is already a classic piece of art, the latest transcription of the bible, a new history of mankind, the steepest roller-coaster and much, much, more.
155 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Matrix Reloaded: Visually stunning, utterly confusing!
Dillypogo19 August 2008
"What's going on?" "Man, that was cool." "Jesus, I need a dictionary." These three things went through my mind while I watched The Matrix Reloaded. Keanu Reeves returns as Neo, who goes to the city of Zion along with Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss.) As approaching sentinels get closer and closer to the city, an old enemy (Hugo Weaving) pops up again, determined to destroy Neo. As if that weren't enough, Neo has a dream about Trinity dying and he wonders if it will come true.

The premier problem with The Matrix Reloaded is that it's incredibly confusing. For the majority of the film I couldn't understand what was going on or who new characters were. For example, Lambert Wilson plays a French character called Merovingian and after four viewings of the film, I still don't know what purpose his character serves.

There is a scene near the end of the film in which you will definitely need a dictionary beside you. People who have seen the film will know that I am talking about the scene with The Architect, (Helmut Bakaitis) who has the widest vocabulary in the universe. I understand that it works for his all-knowing character, but what I don't understand is....well, what the bloody hell he's going on about. An example of a sentence he says is "you are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision." What?

The saviour of The Matrix Reloaded are it's jaw-droppingly brilliant action sequences. Amazingly choreographed and with top-notch special effects, they are what The Matrix trilogy is famous for. I have to say that The Matrix Reloaded definitely has the best action sequences out of the three films and two of my favourite movie scenes are actually from this. My personal favourite scene is when Neo battles an army of Agent Smiths for about eight minutes. Rob Dougan's music during these action sequences also add to the suspense.

Like any sequel, The Matrix Reloaded will always be compared to its predecessor, which is not good for TMR. The first film was more intelligent and intriguing, but the action sequences in the sequel were slightly better.

With a confusing plot, The Matrix Reloaded disappoints, but the action sequences are top-notch. I give it 6/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes ridiculous, sometimes awesome, but ALWAYSspectacular!
IAN-Cinemaniac8 May 2003
Last night I was fortunate enough to stumble across some tix to the "Reloaded" premiere. Since the original "Matrix" came out a few years ago everyone has imitated its' kenetic action style, which led me to think there's no way they can recapture that fresh and exciting edge again. But they did. The Wachowskis have way out done the new "Star Wars" films and without a doubt have far surpassed the "X-Men films." At times the dialogue is clunky and the Zion scenes are a little too Star Trek and Buck Rogers, but the action is always astonishing, and the humor is always in the right place...if not too much in the right place...For example Neo uses one of the many Agent Smiths to take down other Agent Smiths sending them all crashing with the sound of falling bowling pins. A little goofy but fun. The action though, I can't say enough about. The center chase scene is awesome and the opening cycle scene is.... Okay, no more words, "The Matrix: Reloaded" will not disappoint and by the time you reach the cliffhanger ending you're more than ready for a break from this double talking, mind bending adventure.
89 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trapped in the curse of Sequels!
Dr_Sagan5 October 2014
The creators of The Matrix Trilogy had repeatedly state that this was conceived as a "Trilogy" from the start. Although I haven't a reason to doubt that, the 2nd (and 3rd) Matrix fall in the tradition that many sequels of good movies suffer from.

Despite the fact that practically the same cast and crew who created the magnificent first part is here for the 2 & 3 (they shot it back-to-back) the movie quickly loses its spirit.

First mistake is the introduction of many many new secondary characters who might not necessarily needed. And these characters are trying really hard to pose as important without that being the case at all.

Second mistake is the forced philosophy that didn't actually had anything to add to that of the original. The attempt for a recreation of the perfectly scripted dialog between Neo and the Oracle in the original is a failed one. For some, including me, it even destroys the feeling of the original dialog by diminishing its great themes.

Third mistake the (experimental) visual effects this time look completely fake. There is a big fight, shot with something that is described as virtual cinematography, and it's more than obvious that...well..it needs lots of work to be believable.

In conclusion when you are trying for bigger and better there is no guaranty that you will succeed. A common thing in movie sequels. A curse, that struck the second (and the third) sequels of the Matrix.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FANTASTIC!
MENDIETA_4027 June 2003
When the credits for the movie came up and yet another great song by Rage Against The Machine blaring in my ears, I just thought to myself, what a great piece of entertainment this movie was.

I was a big fan of the first one (like other millions were) and was eagerly awaiting the sequel. Although it might not be as good as the first one in terms of it shocking us the way it did in 99 when it brought to us such a new flavour in cinema in terms of development in action, special effects and its terrific story. All and all it still held up very well considering the pressure this movie had on its shoulders to live up to the great expectation.

I think that's why a lot of people weren't real keen on this one, because it had such huge pressure, and whatever the Wachowski's produced, it wasn't going to be good enough, or people would say it could or should of been better. I believe the Wachowski brothers made it more epic and like most sequels, you can tell that it had a s*** load more money to work with. Apart from the Zion scene and the Twins not getting enough screen time, this movie was right up there, and for a movie just to sit back in awe and watch all these fighting sequences, car chases and special effects in action, it's a special movie.

Well done Larry and Andy showing everyone just why we go to the movies, Pure escapism and entertainment.
67 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sequel Neither Needed Nor Wanted
Theo Robertson2 July 2010
During one University Class on Film Violence our tutor went around class asking the students to nominate a film where we felt the violence was unrealistic . My nomination was the Randall Wallace debacle WE WERE SOLDIERS down to the fact every time an American was killed there was always enough time for the dying soldier to make a short speech as to how much he loved his wife/mom /pet dog . One of the other students , a young lad called Ivan , nominated the battle between Neo and the multiple Mr Smiths' from THE MATRIX RELOADED . I remember thinking it was a rather good nomination since it seemed to go on far longer than needed and that Neo could have escaped the fight anytime he wanted . Having recently seen the film again I have to say it's a brilliantly obvious nomination since the sequence is ridiculous and unconvincing as is the whole movie

It's obvious that when THE MATRIX was released it was produced to be a stand alone one off movie . Hollywood being Hollywood however it doesn't stop people coming up with bad ideas if the motive is money . RELOADED is a bad idea but its problem is that it's not only a bad idea but it's a bad idea badly done

A common complaint amongst the more analytical comments on this page criticise the way when characters speak it sounds like they're giving the most profound speeches in he history of cinema in a film that is just an action franchise movie . Thisis entirely correct we get set piece followed by long pretentious sententious dialogue followed by set piece , followed by long talky scenes followed by set piece

What really drags the film down is that the set pieces are both overlong and very badly done . Watch the scene that Ivan criticised and you'll notice that much of it is done via computer animation . Especially the bit where Neo holds on to the pole and and kicks the myriad of Smiths out of the frame . You'll be expecting Bugs Bunny to appear chewing a carrot asking " What's up doc ? " It becomes literally cartoonish . There's also a set piece on a freeway where a couple of of ghostly twins try and eliminate the good guys often in hand to hand combat . What lets this down is that both the choreography and editing are very loose . You can see in your head the actors thinking " one two three one two three left right left " as they try and assault one another

The original film was one of those rare movies that mixed a high concept plot with genuinely exciting action sequences . This sequel has none of that . It is nothing more than a cynical exercise in making money . The only half decent thing about it is that it's only slightly better than the following film THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
40 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film about intimacy, choice, and purpose
Howard Schumann2 June 2003
It is six months later. Neo and the rebel leaders have 72 hours until 250,000 machine probes discover Zion and attempt to destroy it. The Matrix Reloaded, the long-awaited sequel to the 1999 blockbuster hit The Matrix, follows the lives and destinies of the freedom fighters from Zion and continues its inquiry into our reason for being. The original had us look at the nature of the reality we live in and the sequel invites us to look at how we respond once we understand that reality. Most of the same characters are back: Neo (Keanu Reeves) as the prophesied One, Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) as the enlightened rebel leader, Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) as Neo's lover, and the late Gloria Foster as the Oracle, a very wise lady who tells it like it is.

As the film opens, the Zionists (sic) prepare to fend off the attack of the sentinels. Morpheus is convinced Neo can save Zion, but to do so he must fend off all enemies to find the source of the Matrix. While Neo is having nightmares about Trinity's ultimate fate, Morpheus defends his decision to remove the Nebuchadnezzar from the first line of defense and shows renewed interest in his ex-lover, Captain Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith). In the meantime, we get our first glimpse of Zion where the main floor with its rusted iron walkways and power generators looks like the remodeled boiler room of the Titanic. After listening to an inspiring speech by Morpheus, the entire floor erupts into a sensuous dance sequence to techno music, interspersed with scenes of Neo and Trinity making love. Neo learns that he must find the Keymaker (Randall Duk Kim) who alone can provide him with entry to the mysterious source that controls the Matrix. Neo tracks him down but first has to get past a seductive Monica Belluci and a witty Frenchman named Merovingian (Lambert Wilson) who seduces his women with chocolate cake.

As would be expected for a film with a budget that rivals the US Treasury, the special effects are outstanding and several action sequences stand out. The first uses digital effects and the choreography of Hong Kong director Yuen Wo Ping to recreate 100 clones of Agent Smith in a fight sequence with Neo. The longest and most bizarre sequence is a 15-minute freeway chase involving hundreds of cars, a Ducati motorcycle, trailer trucks, and agents all over the place. The scene, that included a specially built stretch of highway costing $1 million, took three months to film and is estimated to have cost $38 million. Don Davis choreographs the car chases with a techno score that becomes irritating after about the second explosion.

The Wachowski's have been accused of "heavy handed moralizing", "a for Dummies primer on philosophy", and "empty-headed techno-babble" but I think very few critics are listening to what they are actually saying. The film is about intimacy, choice, purpose, and our place in the universe. It suggests that "everything starts with choice" and "the only truth is causality". Put another way, we are the "chooser", the author and the cause of our own experiences. When we choose, we are really choosing what has already been chosen. `You are not here to make a choice,' the Oracle tells Neo `You have already made it. You're here to find out why'. What this means to me is that we are all here for a purpose of our own choosing and our job is to discover the appropriate means to realize that purpose. Believe me, you do not learn this in Philosophy 101.

Like the original, many elements of The Matrix Reloaded are fun and appeal to a younger audience but I found the sequel to be somewhat disappointing. The original left major aspects of the puzzle to our imagination and did not overload us with special effects. The sequel is more complex but lacks the sense of wonder of the first film. We know enough not to take the car chases and fight sequences too seriously, but without the element of danger, the highly choreographed set pieces become pointless and irritating. At the end of the first film, Neo told his adversaries on the phone, "I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible.' I'm still waiting for that world that no longer requires guns, weapons, punches, or kicks and where everyone gets that they are "The One". Now that is a rogue program that would be worth downloading.
48 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateurish Twaddle - Spoilers
scottellsworth1 December 2003
Spoilers of both this and The Matrix follow.

I liked the original Matrix a great deal. It was not a deep movie, despite Fishburne's attempts to philosophize, but it was fairly well paced, fun, and I have a soft spot for Hong Kong fights.

In the original, Neo was the secret life of the rather unhappy cube worker Anderson. By day, corporate drone, and by night, brave hacker. Eventually, he eventually is forced to choose between these lives by his actions - does he become an outlaw fighting the machine, or does he go back to the safe, forgettable world he started in. Interestingly, he discovers that once one is shorn of illusions, life rather sucks. He has his girl by his side and his boon companions, but he eats processed swill, dresses in sweats, and lives in a truly skungy bit of machinery. Still, the truth makes him free.

At least part of the fun of that first movie lay in the "what if it were me" questions raised in the viewer's mind. What if _I_ were capable of the impossible? What if I were "The One". It does not even matter that much what you are The One example of, with a cool title like that.

Further, agent Smith made a wonderful bad guy, as he embodied all of the fear of authority that we carry with us. He was as unstoppable as a terminator, and as merciless.

At the end of the Matrix, Neo must return to the Matrix to share his good news of freedom.

This movie fails to completely to carry through on the ideas of the original movie, and it does so with such lack of gusto, such poor scriptwriting and such poor editing that I cannot believe they had planned these changes. When the dialog is at a fifth grade level, with various long words dropped in randomly, I find it hard to believe that they understand what they are saying.

My short list of characterization failures:

The Oracle goes from mildly helpful, if deceitful to utterly obstructionist without any real reason.

Major "personalities" of the matrix are introduced without need - the keymaster, for example, was a cute idea, but just not that interesting a character.

Fishburne loses his "advisor" role, and gets nothing to replace it with.

The people of Zion are not particularly likable, nor would you really _want_ them running the world.

Special effects problems:

The fight scenes are pointless and intermitable. In The Matrix, you felt Neo could lose, and that he had to become something greater in order to survive. In The Matrix Reloaded, he is merely the viewpoint character of a particularly poorly plotted video game.

The fight on the freeway looked quite fake, and not that interesting.

Pacing problems.

As I mentioned above, the fight scenes were interminable.

The rave went on too long - everyone in my row at the theater was looking at their watch. Not because we mind good dancing and good orgies, but because we did not know about the people pictured, nor did we care.

Whatever hack wrote the creator's soliloquy should be blacklisted from the business. It meandered, used words that the scriptwriter clearly did not understand, and was a waste of time and a pacing killer. The creator's speech could have been done in a tenth the time, and with more peril as "Zion exists to give rebels a place to go so they do not destroy the Matrix. There are now too many people who do not believe; the matrix is in danger of crashing and killing every person hooked up to it. Further, the earth cannot support even the people in Zion, let alone these others. You may choose one person from Zion to form the new Zion, while I wipe the memories of the people currently in the Matrix."

Instead, we got a long, drawn out bunch of twaddle. If someone argues that it is deep, ask for a transcript, and try breaking down the sentences. Each one is too long by several clauses, and uses words with clearer, shorter synonyms.

So, in summary, not worth seeing.

I have seen the third one, and despite what a number of reviewers have said, skip it. It does not save this turkey.

The reviewers who feel that the second and third movies were "deep" should go see some truly deep movies. Perhaps read a book or two on rhetoric and debate, and perhaps a bit of philosophy. This movie is just not hard to understand, but it is hard to stomach.

Scott
76 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Van Damme reloaded (possible spoilers, but I really don't know how to spoil this film anyway...)
Jo-9025 May 2003
Man would expect that a movie shot with an approx. budget of 300,000,000 U$D should at least entertain you for the time you are spending in the cinema actally watching it. "Matrix Reloaded" proves this assumption wrong.

"The Matrix" worked out better, despite having apparent holes concerning logic of the story. At least nobody could explain to me why beating up a bot (aka agent) inside a simulation (aka martix) would harm the responsible computer program in any way...

Unfortunately, the Wachowski brothers made excactly this "agent-bashing" the main thing in "Matrix Reloaded": it's a beat 'em up o-rama. This fighting scenes may be work out sufficient (or even cool) in a 5 sec. trailer, but prolonged for several minutes, apparently being faked, choreographed poorly and repeated over and over again it is nothing more than boring. Despite seeing the promised spectecular stunts there is nothing more than simple low-quality, unimaginative bashing already seen (or better not) in eg. Van Damme 'movies'. The difference of post-production (etherything is 5 times faster, the camera floats around a lot and freezes on certain scenes, and this is repeated for at least 5min) doesn't help here, all this has nothing to do with the very meaning of "martial arts". Beside these 'fights', all actors do refuse to do what they are payed for: acting.

What's up besides the fighting scenes? Few except Hollywood routine. This oh-so-multicultural bunch of hippies which sucked in "Waterworld" are recycled as citizen of "Zion" (mans last city on earth), and on the order of Morpheus they start dancing, 'cause this is a good opportunity to show a lot of barely covered tits and butts. The oh-so-popular clichée of the frog aka frenchmen talking with this "je ne sais quoi" dumb accent, who wastes his fortune because of a "liason d'amour" is bravely served. Following this (and unwanted funny) is the fight between Neo and the sinister followers of 'the frog', since it takes place in an Erroy Flynn like enterieur, luckily featuring a lot of mideaval weapons for decoration. For Neo posing with the hellebarde, just add 2 stairs and a lot of statues (for being destructed, thrown over evil guys and the like) and you get 5 more senseless, boring min. of this junk.

Whats left to expect? The usual merchandising hell. And "revolutions" which will happen or not - certainly without me.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavy-handed, air-headed, effect-overkill sequel.
aytherestherub3 June 2003
I tried to remove anything that might be considered a spoiler. I also assume that you've seen the first movie or at least know the general gist, so if you haven't some of this might not make sense.

Plot: This movie beats the audience over the head with tired philosophical ramblings again and again in an attempt to get the theme across. We are bombarded again and again by questions of purpose, and destiny, and choice, and forced to endure the long, torturous platitude sessions that contain them.

Neo, awakened from a dream in the last movie, now begins a period of realization about his own existence. There are a lot of revelations in this movie, which I'll be vague about so they won't seem like spoilers.

*If you're still worried vague references will spoil the movie, don't read the paragraph below.*

The strength and weakness of faith is revealed. The strengths and weaknesses of love, and its temporary nature, are also revealed. The interdependence of humans and technology, and our faith in technology, are also revealed. The importance of choice and experience is revealed. Explaining further things that are revealed would go into too much detail, so I will refrain (as the guidelines for writing a commentary asks). Btw, by "revealed" I mean pounded through our ears and eyes like nails.

Storyline: So how does Neo and the gang get from the end of the last movie to the beginning of the next one? In short, they keep the faith, and use and abuse overly-stylized action and bullet-time like it's going out of style (and after this display, I'm hoping movie-goers and makers alike learn to appreciate subtlety and originality a bit more). More on that later. To not spoil anything, I will say no more than the promo material already did: Neo is still trying to figure out the Matrix, and he is looking for answers while trying to save the humans, and Zion, all while baddies are going after him and his cohorts. The movie pretty much picks up where the last one left off.

Action: While martial arts action and gunplay peppered its predecessor in somewhat equal parts, this movie focuses much more on martial arts than gunplay, adding swords, sais, etc. to the mix. Special effects are so often used and waved in the audience's face that it becomes really tiresome. I've discussed this movie with friends and coworkers alike, and nearly all of them found some of the action sequences--especially the "Smith fight" we all heard would be in the movie--to be too long and tedious. This is a huge red flag for action fans, because the end of an action sequence should either leave you wanting a slight bit more, or completely content with the awesomeness that just occured.

These fights scenes do neither. They are over-stylized, over-the-top sequences that are wooden and uninspired. In the first movie, there was a real sense of desperation to some of the action, a sense that fighting was for survival, not just looking good (which I honestly don't think they manage in Reloaded anyway) in black and leather. Go watch Drunken Master or Iron Monkey after this movie to remind yourself of what good fighting sequences are--you won't regret it. In addition, the "Matrix abilities" people have in Reloaded is not consistent, and what they actually do is not consistent. The first movie had its inconsistencies here, but they weren't too glaring--unlike Reloaded.

Special effects are poured on and on and on. Every little thing someone does, be it just jump, somersault, spin, and in many cases just pose, are

slow-moed, bullet-timed, or over-accentuated by some sort of destruction. It's evident the W Bros had a ton of money to throw at this movie, and boy did they throw it, with no real restraint. Sharp editors could have really helped this, but the first movie was such a hit that free reign was obviously given, which brings us to. . .

Character and dialogue: I have already more or less said the dialogue was tired and full of philosophical platitudes. Actors can't really bring a lot of depth to their character when the script and direction is shoving character progression audience's face, or neglecting it altogether. The audience is at no time given nuance and substance so they can contemplate the character on their own.

Keanu's acting performance is stiff at best. Keanu is good at acting confused, and that's about all he does in this film. He makes a decent attempt to show passion between Neo and Trinity, but it falls flat.

Lawrence tries to make Morpheus everything from Moses to Henry V, and be as cool as a cat throughout. With the script he is provided, he makes a noble attempt, but it also falls flat.

Moss isn't very believable either. Her look of concern is always the same, much like Keanu's, and the chemistry isn't there, although in their very physical scenes they fake it well enough.

Hugo once again brought his weird sense of being an Agent program, but he too suffered from the script's hand. I actually find him to be the most interesting character of the bunch, but instead of development they just make him an excuse for a huge, drawn out fight scene.

All in all, this movie is beyond disappointing if you had good expectations, and on its own, as a stand-alone movie (which is not how it's supposed to be taken), it's still horrible. I don't see The Matrix as deep, but I at least see it as an enjoyable scifi romp that has some interesting ideas, good action, a few funny lines, and enough restrained symbolism and elusions to amuse the attentive. Reloaded fails on all these counts, and I really hope the W Bros will give us a better experience in the 3rd installment. Granted, I don't have a lot of hope left for that after this film.
41 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When the T3 trailer's the highlight there's somthing to worry about (part2)
wozza1025 May 2003
***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** Continued...

From here on in the whole movie collapses in on itself. First we meet a rogue program with the indication we're gonna get ghosts and vampires and werewolves and the like. We get a guy with a retarded accent talking endless garbage, two 'ghosts' that serve no real purpose and have no character what-so-ever and a bunch of henchmen. Someone's told me they're vampires (straight out of Blade 2), but they're so undefined I didn't realise.

The funny accented guy with a ridiculous name suffers the same problem as the Oracle, only for far longer and far far worse. He has a simple point about cause and effect, makes it, then continues to make it and make it until it becomes convoluted and stupid. His final line before walking off is comparable to Storm's "do you know what happens to a toad..." line in X-men in levels of utter bland baddness. The chocolate cake is such a lazy, pathetic cliche and Monica Bellucci as the wife does nothing other than exactly what we expect the moment we see her.

And then we get another kung fu fight!!! WHY? Neo is, allegedly, The One. He can do anything. He has the ultimate power and what does he use it for. Kung bloody fu all the time. And while he can stop 1000 bullets, he still gets cut by a sword and still makes a meal of 5 undecipherable henchmen (vampires?). I wanted to see mind blowing powers. I wanted to see him do the wildest, craziest most insane s*** to people because he can do anything. I got the same as before without the 'wow'.

The fabled car chase. That can't be bad. Well... no, it's not. It's just not what we've been tyold it was going to be. ALL the cool shots from this scene are in the trailer. Every one. So all possibly Wow has been taken from us so all we now get is a good chase sequence with, guess what, a kung fu fight!!! OK, it's not Neo, but you'd have thought he'd have explained to his closest friends about the reality of the Matrix. At least taught them something. It's not hard.

"Hey, Morpheus, don't worry about what happens to you in the matrix. It's not real. As long as you understand that nothing's real then nothing can really harm you."

There you go. Simple.

OK, so the chase is not bad. It's never boring and it doesn't seem like 16 minutes. It's just so underwhelming. And still, it gets worse.

The final climax to the movie is quite probably the worst imaginable. They have this whole elaborate plan that involves three crews. They then only show it sporadically between Morpheus's over long, super preachy, monologue. To make it worse, they never clearly define what this plan that needs 3 teams is. You know basically, but you don't know who's doing what, when, so when one crew goes down you just don't care and you don't know how this is going to affect what goes on.

I'll sum it up though, it happens so Trinity can get back into the Matrix to setup the end. That's the only reason it happens. Which raises the question, why did they need to send 6 people originally? Trinity gets in in five minutes by herself!

Neo's journey to the centre of the Matrix (so to speak) is handled equally lazily. Ooohhh!!! He runs into another 100 Agent Smiths!!! Woooooo!!! That must've taken a lot of thought. Only now they're in a corridor so the fight has no scale and is over in a moment. Man, what a grand finale!!!

And then the Architect!!!

Remember everything I said was bad about the Oracle and the foreign guy? Add them together and double it, that's how truly appalling the Architect is. The only reasonable potential of him is he's about to set up the cliffhanging climax.

And then he blows it!

Let's look at the options he gives Neo. Choose one door and all humanity dies (except 27!!!). Choose the other and all humanity dies!!! Considering choice is something this film tries to explore it doesn't really give it's hero one. If he had a choice of Save humanity and the missus dies or Save the missus and kill humanity there's the potnetial for inner torment and tension. Also, with Trinity being mid fall, the potential of a real cliffhanger that would've made seeing the third more essential. But no. He has save no-one or save the missus.

Now, the very worst thing about the original Matrix was Neo dying and then coming back to life right at the end. The year it came out everyone was so annoyed by how stupid Jar Jar was they didn't notice that the very end of The Matrix made him look him Steven Hawking. "The Oracle told me I'd fall in love with the One, and I love you".... Come On!!!! How can the whole world have missed how utterly terrible that was?

So, what do the Wachowski's do in the sequel? Well, they make the ending of the original look better. How? Well, by doing almost exactly the same thing again (only swapping characters) only so much worse I think my f a and r keys would be worn out if I kept writing far before I got to worse.

And the cliffhanger is just not really a cliffhanger. It's a reminder.

Basically, this film is just bad. I really didn't want it to be bad, but it is. Bad in just so many ways. And to make matters worse, this isn't a film with not enough budget. It's not a film with too short a schedule. It's not a film that's been rushed out. It's not a film where too much influence has come from the outside. This is exactly the film the Wachowski's set out to make with Warner's fortune fully behind them. And that's what makes this so awful. At least Rancid Aluminium can say that it didn't haev enough time or money.

Matrix Reloaded. The worst film ever made? Maybe not quite. The most disappointing and defalting film ever made.

Undeniably.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Upgrades!
Michael DeZubiria2 August 2003
The thing that really strikes me about The Matrix Reloaded is that the increase in quality, if it can be said that there actually is one, from the first movie is more the result of an increased budget than anything else. I loved the new movie, but the talent was there in the first one, you can just tell that in the sequel the Wachowski brothers had a virtually endless budget, which allowed them to do pretty much anything they wanted. They have a very distinct style that is clearly evident in all of their movies, even if they are not laden with special effects. The fluidity of the camera movement and the strangely dark tones of their films are only a couple of the techniques that make them recognizable. These things really come to the surface if you watch the Matrix films, some of the most recognizable films ever made, and then watch an earlier one of their movies, like the trashy 1996 thriller, Bound.

That being said, I think it's safe to say that, despite the massive and seemingly unsurpassable genius of the first Matrix film, the Wachowski brothers have made another step up from their last film. It should be noted that the film is the second part in a trilogy, especially before groaning out loud at the sudden ending of the film, which built up and built up and built up and then just stopped, just like the fist Lord of the Rings film did. I won't take time here to go into what the story is about and how it continues the story from the first film, if only because plot summary in film reviews is a total waste of time for the writer as well as the reader, and also because I've only seen the movie twice, which really isn't enough to get a total grasp on the depth of the plots, so I'll just suffice it here to say that the startling complexity of the original Matrix (a complexity which is almost unheard of in a science fiction film) is added onto and expanded in this film, although despite being hard to follow, is never confusing.

I've heard all kinds of talk about the Italian Job having an even better car chase than The Matrix Reloaded and how the chase in this film wasn't even that good at all, blah blah blah. There is a freeway chase scene in this film which recklessly promotes reckless driving (and, even worse, reckless riding), but it is one of the most impressively made and fascinating car chase scenes that I've ever seen. It also contains the characteristic style of the Wachowski brothers, and is famously filmed on a freeway that was constructed strictly for the filming of this scene. I can't remember where, Australia, I think. Anyway, Morpheus and one of the agents are having a kung-fu fight on top of a semi trailer (which the driver never seems to notice), the poor keymaker in struggling to stay out of the way, Trinity is flying between cars against traffic on one of the most badass motorcycles on the road (enter the Ducati commercial), and Morpheus is off doing, as they say, `his superman thing.'

The superman thing is one of the elements of the movie that bordered on being campy, as the multitude of Agent Smiths comment to themselves, `He's still only human.' And then in the next scene he's flying. This is one of the points where you really need to keep in mind that Neo's body is plugged into a machine, in the strikingly less appealing real world, and is basically playing a video game where he'll die in real life if killed in the game because his body will think that it has been killed for real and will shut down.

During the freeway scene, there's a camera shot where the camera literally goes right through the chassis' of a couple of semi trucks as it follows Trinity, which I think got the biggest reaction from an audience in a single scene that I've seen since that Velociraptor jumped up at the ceiling in Jurassic Park. One of the other most memorable scenes is the lengthy fight scene between Neo and the hordes of Agent Smiths, one of the most entertaining fight scenes I've ever seen. It's obvious that the vast majority of this scene is special effects (and not only because there are hundreds of the same guy in it), but it is so well made and convincing and even amusing that the entertainment value of it is massive.

The new villains, by the way, are some of the best new villains since the Reapers in Blade II. I've heard something about an albino interest group that's trying to sue for the way albino's are portrayed in this movie because of these guys, although I can't exactly agree that they're even albinos. These guys are so weird looking they're barely human. If the albino interest groups are trying to sue, why didn't they sue when Me, Myself, and Irene was released? Anyway, these guys have the interesting skill of becoming transparent and therefore untouchable, with the small condition that they are also unable to attack when in this defensive mode, which makes for some great fight scenes as well as some cool tricks, like that of hopping into rapidly approaching Escalades (oh, there are lots of Cadillac commercials here, too). I heard recently that Cadillac is trying to aim for a younger audience than the much older people who tend to drive their cars, and if there were ever any doubts that the rumors are true, they are completely dispelled by their heavy placement in this movie.

There are certainly some scenes in this movie where it drags and seems to even border on being unnecessarily philosophical and confusing, such as in the extensive meeting with the Oracle, who tells Neo all about choices that he has made but doesn't know he's made yet, or needs to make even though fate has already determined what decision he would make, or something of that nature, where after a while we find ourselves (or at least I did) paying more attention to the pigeons walking around in this startlingly different atmosphere than to the deep conversation that they're having. Maybe this is why it takes me more than two viewings to get the complete story of movies like this. Blasted pigeons.

There is a lot of controversy over the quality of The Matrix Reloaded, which is to be expected, since it is a movie that has garnered such a vast amount of attention, even if only because it is the follow-up to such a massively successful film. But like Terminator 3, I personally was hugely impressed with this sequel, and am more than able to accept it as a bridge between the original and the final film in the series. It is the better part of three hours long, but goes by much faster than anticipated because it is so well made and entertaining. Never mind that totally campy scenes, like the bullet removal scene and the dance club scene, because like so many other sequels these days (and unlike so many others), The Matrix Reloaded will leave you eager to see the next one.
104 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ramming the spoon...
MP12 June 2006
I was 11 when the first Star Wars movie came out. I wasn't mature enough to appreciate Harrison Ford's space-cowboy smirk or Carrie Fischer's sarcasm, much less the swagger of their respective deliveries. All I cared about was robots blasting other robots.

By the time The Matrix hit theaters in 1999, we had seen enough action-packed sci-fi over the years to make us cringe. Our demands had increased exponentially.

We now expect both a story as well as the actors' performance to retain some amount of integrity. If this is missing, no amount of kicking or shooting can rid us of the feeling that we've just been wasting our time in a way that was only acceptable when we were 11.

In light of all the negative reviews on Reloaded, I tried not to expect too much. Still, I paid a whopping $9.00 at the box-office of a top-notch theater equipped with the beefiest sound system in town. During and after, I felt embarrassed for having done so.

I was given the distinct impression that Andy and Larry themselves had never even seen The Matrix.

Reloaded is an entirely different film from The Matrix. It reeks of a sell-out, of board rooms filled with brainstorming marketing-scammers, of a colossal rip-off that seems to have forgotten what Generation X liked most about The Matrix: its atmospheric flair.

In The Matrix, we're taken on a post-modern coming-of-age journey with Neo. In Reloaded, it's not Neo, but CGI that's the focus of the film.

Reloaded is nothing more than a full-length feature COMPUTER GAME. So why not just go play one?

The Matrix was a slick and suspenseful FILM, in which the viewer identified with the underdogs' characters. We rejoiced when they overcame. But Reloaded lacks any treatment of the protagonist's development, or anyone else's for that matter, allowing the viewer to identify with the plight of no-one.

The Matrix closed out with a pounding tune by Rage Against the Machine, who scream "Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy!!!" So what happened to this perspective?

It's Invasion of the Body Snatchers: The original writers were replaced by 14-year-old computer geeks more eager to escape into the arms of a voluptuous, blonde computer program than they are in making a film.

Reloaded is so pristinely sterile, odorless, emotionless, CHARACTER-less, and at times so pubescently vulgar, it's hard to believe these are the same writers.

This affects even the best of actors. It's disheartening to see the Othello of The Matrix reverse roles with Keanu in respect of acting quality.

Fishburne's droning recital of horrific, pseudo-intellectual musing is so stilted, you can almost hear the director urging him to be "More serious, Laurence! You've got to be more Morpheus than Morpheus himself ever knew he was!"

Further criticisms include:

---Actions sequences too clean (i.e. retouched) and drawn-out. Suspense is lost;

---CGI used far too often to smooth over gaps in bullet-time photography. The least trained eye easily spots Gumby-like cartoon drawings stretching across the screen;

---Acting and writing brutally stilted. Offends the most ill-equipped intellect. One has the impulse to ignore the dialog completely as a means of punishing it, like parents deliberately not reacting to a 10-year old who tries to shock them with foul language. Misguided attempts at 10th-grade level pop-philosophy add to superficiality;

---The direction the story takes views like a made-for-TV Stargate spin-off with an all-new no-name cast. Story and characters are hideously compromised, amateurishly convoluted;

---Nothing short of fury is generated by what sloppy writing did to Agent Smith (now a renegade evil hippie-bot on a soul-search, seeking revenge for reasons frighteningly lacking depth) and the Oracle (now trivialized by meandering, contrived oracle-speak, reduced to a pseudo-smarmy program, a side-act as opposed to the pithy element she was). These two key characters are robbed of their sovereignty and depth;

---Sets in Zion are too Hollywood, mat-drawing or CGI. Costumes are straight out of Star Trek the Next Generation or a Calvin Klein commercial for Woodstock-copycat wannabe ravers. This contrasts harshly with underdog Matrix-hackers all wearing moth-eaten sweaters on the Nebuchadnezzar vis-a-vis Zion mission control's immaculate, glaring white, state-of-the-art hi-tech garb. Overload of scenes with superfluous counsels and commanders who all have something TERRIBLY important to say;

---Twins are pubescently extravagant disco-albino Casper-the-Ghost punching bags. The freeway chase scene is among the most drawn-out sequences; leaves one addled, apathetic;

---We anticipated seeing "the minds Neo freed" and how Neo does this more than anything, far more than him rescuing himself and his pals. The writers completely ignore this.

In sum:

This movie has nothing to do with the original, where it left off, or its 'message'.

We overestimated the Wachowski Bros. when we hoped they would present a follow-up that would hold true to 'what it means' to be an underdog, hack a Matrix or rage against a machine.

The Bros. need to rewind to scenes where Carrie-Anne Moss delivers lines from the back seat of a suicide-door Caddy in the rain: 'You've been down that road Neo...', or Laurence Fishburne's 'I suspect that right about now you're feeling a bit like Alice ... tumbling down the rabbit hole'. The feeling scenes like those evoked is long lost. Instead, the Bros. just reload and regurgitate on us, CGI-style.

Talents of accomplished actors are squandered. The actors themselves come across brow-beaten by lousy script-writing until performances are all less than equal to Keanu's robotics.

Between 1999 and 2003, the Bros. seem to have forgotten what it means to rock like underdogs.

Maybe it's because the dollar signs on their eyes have blinded them. Reloaded not only abandons its own previously postulated truth ... that "there is no spoon" ... it now INSISTS there is one, and promptly proceeds to ram it down our throats.
131 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened?
neolord3 April 2007
The first Matrix movie was lush with incredible character development, witty dialog, and action scenes that kept with the flow of the story. These elements -- coupled by incredible special effects of the day -- presented a magical ride that kept you in suspense the entire time. Enter Matrix Reloaded (and its sequel, Revolutions). The problem here isn't the special effects or the fight sequences as some may argue; The brothers have taken well-developed characters from the first film and hollowed them out like rotten tree logs.… The connection that was first established between viewers and on-screen characters in the first film is lost when you realize these are not the same characters from the first Matrix movie.

To wit, Morpheus was developed as a charismatic, philosophical character with insight far exceeding anyone else in the movie, but here in Reloaded -- we're presented by a different Morpheus who stands hard and hollow, reduced to corny one-liners that contradict the character we saw develop in the first film. This character just didn't feel the same, and this could also be said about the supporting characters in the movie.

The removal of 'Tank' was also a disappointment. Tank's involvement in the first film was minimal at best, but he played the role extremely well. In Reloaded, we discover that Tank dies after the events in the first film, and he is replaced by a Jar Jar Binks stunt double that couldn't act to save his live (think stale box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes). His performance left me chuckling throughout, and most of his spoken dialog lacked timing. There was an overwhelming sense that he was either trying too hard to convey his emotions on-screen or the delivery in the script was off; in either case, the experience was humorous! At times I felt embarrassed for the actor....

Even Neo's Godly persona was suspect during most of the fighting sequences. The alleyway battle with the 200 Agent Smith clones was certainly exaggerated. One must wonder, for a man so gifted as Neo -- that he would even waste his time engaging in such a fruitless, frivolous battle when more pressing matters attend (especially when you consider his ability to fly or his ungodly ability to bend the Matrix; certainly Neo could have dispatched the clones much quicker, and more efficiently). Again, such acts lend themselves to a script hindered by consistency, and scenes created as filler to keep us from feeling gypped. In jest, our expectations of the characters created in the first film are discarded promptly. Sadly, for those expecting more of the same -- you will certainly walk away feeling gravely disappointed.

However, if you take Reloaded as your standard, run-of-the-mill action movie, and forget the incredible story inconsistencies and the untwining of already-established character development from the first film, you should walk away feeling quite pleased.
24 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This ridiculous sequel gives The Matrix a bad name
vocklabruck5 November 2006
When I watched The Matrix I really liked it. It was not the best film in my life but it was interesting and twisted. I think the best in The Matrix was the SURPRISE factor. So when Matrix Reloaded was released I went to the theater with high expectations.

In Matrix Reloaded the surprise factor is completely lost. Now Neo is Superman and has nothing else to learn because he is indestructible. His only worry is his recurrent nightmare where he sees Trinity dying or something.

The movie is full of endless, annoying and ridiculous scenes that makes you check your watch all the time. For example, the rave/orgy in Zion and the pseudo French parrot talk. Both scenes are only made to add some sex spice to the story, which is absolutely unnecessary.

The fight scenes are also endless and you already know that no-one can beats Neo so these scenes have no suspense... And what can I say about the fight scene with 200 Smith clones? Everybody was laughing in the theater.

The Oracle was replaced by another actress because the original actress died, but Gosh... This new Oracle is very annoying and hollow! She is not an adviser like before! And I really liked Tank character because he was very pleasant. Now they just made him disappear.

I do not recommend Matrix Reloaded or Matrix Revolutions. Both of them are just parts 2 and 3 that ruined the original one. I really feel embarrassed cause I liked The Matrix but these two sequels are like the undesirable children.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reloaded, or how to NOT make a sequel.
doombot34 August 2003
1/10 and that's only because I don't go lower with my ratings.

skip this "movie" and wait for the last movie of the "Trilogy", don't buy or rent it. trust me you won't be missing a thing. the Architect brings no new info: _(spoiler)_ there have been more NEO's before him, he's like nr.6 or something. you could already figure something like that out from the first movie: Agent Smith telling us the first Matrix created didn't work because it was too perfect. Trinity died and Neo's "love" brought her back, where have I seen this before ? Oh right in the first movie the roles where reversed ! same as the action-scenes nothing new just with more opponents. the Action-scene (the 20+ ships) in the BIG battle which we didn't see (maybe in Revolutions ?), betrayed by someone (hmmmm, maybe the guy holding the knife who wanted to stab Neo?!) who pushed the EGM-button to soon.

all in all a shameless ploy to make money (especially off the guys who went to see it more then once), which evidently worked like a charm.
23 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very bad, ehm, *movie*
Coraxcz20 October 2006
Well, Matrix was very good movie. Original, clever, only bad thing was stupid ending. But Reloaded... Oh, God! It's terrible movie.

It's like some PC action adventure. Fight, talk, more fight, another talk, fight, then some wannabe-philosophy on the level of kindergarten, fight... And those fights... In Matrix we didn't know if Neo was truly Chosen so it was thrilling. Now we know he is, like, invincible and everyone is weaker and simply doesn't stand a chance against him. So why those fights? Neo kicks & punches in bullet time for ten minutes and then goes all Superman and flies away. Why? And they fight everywhere and every time, each fight more useless and boring than before. And dialogues... Well, they are full of clichés and just unconvincing. Neo (Keanu Reeves) and Trinity (Carrie Anne Moss) simply cannot act. It doesn't matter while they're kicking somebody in the head but when they have to express emotions... They suck! And their love scene - terrible, completely UN-sexy and cold like frozen fish. And that *genial* idea to cut film in half so Wachowski's will make more money from this film. Really great. It would be better to just cut some of useless scenes (party in Zion, most of fights) and make one film instead two, 'cause Revolutions is also stupid. Reloaded isn't worth of trying. Spend your money for something better.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should Have Stopped After The Matrix...
sidirezegh30 May 2003
Matrix Reloaded spends more time searching for purpose than its erstwhile hero Neo, wandering aimlessly, trying, like a posing intellectual, to impress you with a massive amount of useless multisyllabic gibberish until the only thing you understand is that you've exhausted 2 1/2 hours of your life that you'll never get back again.

*Spoilers*

All the elements that made the first film engaging are disposed of here, almost as if, well, the original idea was so thin that only one decent film could created around it anyway. We start off with Neo having bad dreams about Trinity; will the prophesy of his dream be fulfilled? We get to watch him worry through the whole film. Keanu Reeves worrying is about as interesting as Keanu Reeeves breathing. Then we are treated to Laurence Fishburne (25 pounds too fat, and enunciating all of his hard consonants to the point of utter posing) orating poorly and prophesying endlessly about nothing. Then we get to watch boring, sweaty ravers dancing in slow motion while Trinity & Neo bore us with sweaty, slow motion lovemaking.

But the real key is every 25 minutes we are treated to one stupid, needless fight scene after another. You can absolutely set your watch by the intervals. And here is the ultimate downfall of the film: the whole affair is merely uninspired, overbearing filler that pads out the dead space between the dull, repetitive fights. As exciting and fresh as they were the first time we saw them, now they are excessive and unoriginal. I guess we've seen the technology too much by now. But the trend has passed by and outlived its usefulness.

I can wait a long time for the 3rd installment.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Second Part that Improves the Whole
RedSoxFan27 June 2003
Being a casual fan of the original The Matrix, I was looking forward to seeing The Matrix:Reloaded in the theaters. However, I was not quite ready to line up at the door donned in a Neo costume for a midnight showing on opening day. Having seen Reloaded, I can now say that I may be one of those people (sans the Neo costume) when The Matrix:Revolutions is released this winter. I cannot say that I think that Reloaded was as good as the original. Yes, it contained more action. Yes, the special effects were better. Yes, both the plot and the dialogue were more intricate and at times more head scratching. But Reloaded lacks what its predecessor had, the element of complete surprise. The wool has already been removed from our eyes. We know what the Matrix is. I cannot think of any plot twist that will be able to match what happens when Neo swallows the Red Pill. All that being said, after seeing Reloaded, I now appreciate the story as a whole. The Matrix and The Matrix:Reloaded when viewed as one complete story far surpasses viewing each as it's own single entity. While the original had mildly peaked my interest, I am now fully enthralled by the entire mythology of The Matrix (I highly recommend viewing the back stories available online on the Animatrix). Much like The Lord of the Rings series, I can no longer imagine The Matrix without contemplating Reloaded. As for Reloaded as a movie itself, the fight scenes are amazingly choreographed, though sometimes a little excessive. I would recommend the movie for the fight with the multiple Agent Smiths alone, as it is a phenomenally staged battle. My criticism lies mostly in the editing. This is a movie that could have definitely been shorter. Many scenes were unnecessarily long, such as the dance orgy after Morpheus' speech, or flat out unnecessary, such as Neo's fight with Seraph. But beyond the flashy fight scenes and special effects, its strength lies in the most unlikely (to me at least) of places, its story. It is a movie full of philosophical questions and religious allusions. The end scene with the Architect in and of itself warrants a second viewing, as it is quite a bit to wrap the brain around. And the way it handles its main theme is done exquisitely. What is reality? Is the "real world" just another part of the Matrix? Is Neo The One? All questions I will be asking as I stand in line for the midnight opening of The Matrix:Revolutions.
37 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best sequel ever? God no!
stewart_tranter5 June 2003
Oh jeez this is bad. It's boring with long mind numbing scenes of fighting, which we'd already seen done in the first Matrix and some very cheesy lines. It's so bad and corny at one point, the hair on the back of my neck actually stood up because of the cringe factor!

Keanu Reeves is his usual terrible self, with no idea of emotion, dialogue or any acting qualities. The others are ok, with Laurence Fishburne doing quite well.

***START OF POSSIBLE SPOILER***

Some of the special effects are even a bit dodgy, in particular the lorry top fighting scene on the freeway.

***END OF POSSIBLE SPOILER***

I will concede however, that some of the special effects are good.

Halfway through, I wondered what the hell is going on here, and what is the point of what they are doing. I wasn't on my own thinking this either, all of my friends said this too. It is complete gibberish! It gets laughably unbelievable towards the end, at which point I felt like laughing.

There are also some glaring continuity errors, which kinda spoil the movie even more, if it wasn't already bad enough...

This movie is drivel, but still go see it just so you don't go see any further Matrix "movies".

What a waste of €6...

10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reloaded reviewed
Jerry Lambert7 November 2003
A big ol' bite of eye-candy. The story continues as Neo ,Trinity and Morpheus, as well as a whole slew of new characters, try to fight the programs of the Matrix. The story builds and more questions are raised. This episode starts a year or so after the first ones finale. Neo has learned quite a few new tricks and he's looking like The One. More people in Zion start to believe in the prophecy. Morpheus gives an inspirational speech to the masses in the Temple of Zion. A new character , Niobe played by Jada Pinkett Smith, adds even more sexiness to this sexy spectacle. As does Monica Beluchis character Persephone. We also meet a character named Seraph who is quite enjoyable. We learn much more about the Matrix and it's origins and so forth. This film tells the tale of the incredible corruptness inside the Matrix program. It is a CGI spectacular. The first film innovated the film making process as did this one. It not only stood up to it's predececor , it went beyond it. There was allot of adding to the plot as well as dialogue , but this films superior quality is what it looks like. It ends in a cliff hanger but don't let that get you down, it's all vindicated in the finale. I would rank this film my third favorite film of all time. If you haven't seen this movie I suggest that you go out right now and rent it or buy it. After you have seen the first one.

The Matrix Trilogy is the most fascinating and inspirational story of modern times. This is what film making is about and I hope to see other films follow suit. This is what I live for. To be taken into a different world and inspired by it is something that i enjoy. I can't imagine anyone ever topping this trilogy. I also consider The Matrix as a historical event in that it gave us hope in times of doubt. It shows us the reality of our sins and explores the benefit of faith. If you can't get into the story , watch it just for the spectacle. If you do get into the story, well then , welcome to the desert of the real my friend.
41 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.