Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Video 2000) Poster

A wonderful surprise!
Skeletors_Hood23 July 2002
When I bought the unedited version of this movie on DVD, I had never watched Batman Beyond in my life, so I knew nothing about the storyline. I wasn't even sure about buying the movie before having seen it, but I am a great fan of Mark Hamill's Joker, so I was sure that even if the movie sucked, I would at least like the Joker.

What I found was a great bit of animation with a surprisingly awesome storyline. I was expecting the comic book cliche of a clone replacement, but the fresh twist had me guessing all the way through. And I was right about loving the Joker, he was still as great as he always was.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't wait. It won't disappoint you.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Batman for a new generation...
Cephyran19 November 2004
A lot of the Batman cartoon versions are better than the live versions, and Return of the Joker is one of them. Set in the Batman Beyond universe (between twenty and thirty years later from when Bruce was in his prime), this movie introduces a young boy named Terry who is given the honor of becoming a Batman for a new generation. At the same time, the Joker, who was long thought dead, resurfaces and causes no end of trouble for our heroes.

I've also had the chance to watch a big chunk of the series, and it's always neat when a video release like this is a continuous piece of the series. The voice acting is well done, the story is compelling and dynamic, and the physical limitations of the real world are easily evaded with the animation medium. This makes Batman a lot more agile, swift, and sneaky then he ever could be in the movies. Anybody who's followed the show has probably seen this, but if you haven't, it's definitely worth a watch.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a spectacular movie!
Kokomadeta5 January 2007
Before watching this, I was expecting a good movie, but it turned out to be a spectacular movie that I want to watch again and again! This film pays true homage to the Batman animated series and explains many questions of what happened to the supporting characters and sidekicks of the original Batman animated series. The animation style for the Joker is that of Batman: TAS volume 1-3 (i.e. Joker: good version). If you're hesitant to watch this movie, go for it. Watch, love, and enjoy. I recommend buying the DVD right away, because it also has some pretty cool bonus features like a making-of feature, and a music video. I highly recommend this movie for a fan of the show, or anyone else who even remotely likes Batman.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one word: cool.
Angela L26 October 2001
when i heard that there's a "new" batman in town, my initial reaction was to roll my eyes. so whenever i see it on tv, i change the channel.

but this is some surprise! we watched in school during a free time and amazingly, i was hanging on every bit of the video. the animation was wonderful, and even the story line and the freaky voice of little joker. if you love batman and love great animation, i absolutely insist you watch this. cool.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Batman' has never been so good!
Christopher Smith4 July 2001
I do not know why this was a direct-to-video release. It was very exciting and I think it would have done pretty well in theatres. I rented BATMAN BEYOND: RETURN OF THE JOKER because I love the BATMAN BEYOND television show and I loved BATMAN BEYOND: THE MOVIE. The first couple of scenes seemed a little too much like the television show, but as soon as I saw the new Joker, I knew this was going to be Batman like we have never seen him before. This was so different from the show in so many ways and had such great animation. It was a fast-paced animated thriller. It was intense. I loved it. A few days later, I bought it on DVD and listened to the filmakers' commentary. I had no idea that so much work was done on this movie in such a short time. Sadly, none of the filmakers' mentioned the cuts that were made by Warner Brothers due to the amount of violence. I think it would be really interesting to see the footage that was cut from the movie. Hopefully, Warner Brothers will come out with a version that contains the cut footage some day. Until then, I'll just enjoy the movie the way Warner Brothers released it. It is one of the best animated movie I have ever seen. I hope there are some more BATMAN BEYOND movies in the future.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite good
blackcircles1 December 2000
I've never really been that wild about this Terry kid, or this new costume. He seems to rely more on his Iron Man-like costume than his intellect and deductive skills, as the original Batman did. Having said that, my favourite part of Return of the Joker was when Barbara Gordon flashed back and remembered the last time Batman fought the Joker. That is an absolutely marvelous scene. You feel the concern and horror thunder through Batman as he's confronted with the atrocities Robin has endured, as well as his hatred and fury towards the Joker. The people in Warner Brothers animation have thankfully returned to drawing the Joker with the detail they had when Batman the Animated Series started. And as much as I don't really like him, Terry's climactic fight with the Joker is definitely worth checking out. As a previous comment said, it's a pleasant surprise.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the Return of the Joker - better than the 'Beyond' series, almost as good as Phantasm!
MisterWhiplash16 August 2008
The first thing that stands out about Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker is its structure. Unlike some of the other animated Batman movies (SubZero, Mystery of the Matwoman), this one comes closer to the likes of Mask of the Phantasm to actually feeling, however in short running time, like a real feature-length movie and not simply four episodes strung together. This is important since we can get wrapped up in the mystery behind the re-emergence of the Joker and it feels fluid and without a cliffhanger-type end every several minutes. The second thing that marks this as above-average animated Batman fare is the quality of the history of two series, original animated and Beyond, and how sharp the writing and voice performances go along with the (PG-13) action and cartoon violence. The filmmakers could've just thrown in old characters like Joker and Harley Quinn and Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake just for the hell of it. But it all fits a story that's worth telling, if only for the fans looking for that awesome coda to the first series.

It's hard to try and not spoil how the Joker, fifty years into the future, re-appears with his gang the Jokerz when Bruce Wayne is now an old man and Terry McGinnis is the new young Batman. Without saying too much, the Jokerz are stealing some high-tech equipment, and something smells fishy on top of the conniving Jordan Price possibly double-crossing Wayne, who is taking back control over Wayne enterprises. But when the Joker himself crashes Wayne's party, McGinnis and Wayne try and investigate what's going on- who he really is, since he's supposed to be killed- and where he'll strike next. The writing and crafting of the mystery, and the eventual truth, is told creatively and with the kind of absorption Batman fans crave (it IS Detective Comics after all), but also impressive is the animation done mostly with computers and not skimping on making the action fairly intense (the subtraction of a good deal of the blah heavy metal music from the show is a plus here).

And lest not forget Conroy as Bruce Wayne, always a sturdy presence, and Mark Hamill as the Joker. They're probably two of the most iconic voice actors of their time just on the basis of their work in the Batman animated saga; Hamill especially gives it his all, and even puts in double-time on the voice of Jordon Price (which for a little while begs the question of him being involved in the crimes), as the clown prince of crime and mayhem. It's such a good performance that it makes up for some standard work by other voice actors (however fine) by Dean Stockwell and Angie Harmon. With just his voice he projects this iconic villain for all its worth, and ranks up there with Nicholson and (now) Ledger as the wonderful if varied versions. Somehow, even in the drama, Hamill manages to get a couple of laughs out of the audience with this Joker. Funny, since it's one of the most dramatic Batman stories yet. 8.5/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A NICE TREAT FOR BATMAN FANS
Big Movie Fan6 March 2002
Each cartoon Batman movie just gets better and better. I watched this just after Christmas 2001 and I was very happy with it.

There are a lot of surprises in this movie (which I will not give away) and the Joker is meaner than ever (I'm not telling you anything about his return or what he's up to). There's some great action scenes in this movie but some young kids may find some of it disturbing in parts.

It's great to see the return of characters such as Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake. This is one of the things I liked about this movie. The characters were not just brought back for the sake of it-they were all integral to the story.

I won't reveal much more in case I spoil it for anyone but let's just say that I will definitely be reserving my seat for future Batman Beyond movies.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie.
kyle-mcdonald6 January 2008
OK well it took me a long while to get this movie but I finally got and got to see and it turned out to be a great sequel to the batman cartoon series and for all the same reasons. It has lots of action in it the storyline to is really good the cartoon effects are good. the voice over actors are really good such as Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Will Friedle as Terence "Terry" McGinnis/Batman, Angie Harmon and Tara Strong as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Dean Stockwell and Mathew Valencia as Tim Drake/Robin. The villains are good such as Mark Hamill as The Joker, Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quin. So I am sure you will not be disappointed with Batman Beyond The Return Of The Joker because it is a really good movie. So make sure that you rent or but Batman Beyond The Return Of The Joker because it is a great movie.

Overall score: ********* out of **********

**** out of *****

Also there is a really good twist in this movie but I am not going to tell you what it is.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
He's baaaack...
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews14 November 2009
I watched this not having seen a single episode of the show, and much to its credit, I had no trouble at all following the film. The plot is excellent, interesting, well-thought out, and develops rather nicely throughout, with a twist that will keep you guessing. This is well-paced, and there is an immense amount of the awesome, well-choreographed action. While quite intense and exciting, this doesn't overwhelm or overstimulate the viewer. The characters are well-written, credible and consistent. Every acting performance is great, with Hamill's take on the Joker taking the cake, as always, with the sheer maniacal quality to it, and his endless enthusiasm. The psychology is all accurate. This has well-done 2D animation and marvelous design. This builds the mood expertly, and the bleak atmosphere of Gotham is captured beautifully. The music is cool, and in general the audio is spot-on, with every effect sounding just right. There is a bit of violence in this, and I understand that it is stronger in the Director's Cut. I recommend this to any fan of Batman. 8/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Batman Animated Film
warren-342-82070530 December 2017
This film is excellent if only for the Joker death. The rest of the movie is also fantastic though. I believe that Mark Hamill did the best he ever has in this movie. If you haven't seen it, please watch it. You are missing out.
Batman Beyond Return of the Joker: Better than most
Platypuschow29 December 2017
I'm not familiar with Batman Beyond, it's on my watchlist but that's not saying much. My watchlist is rapidly starting to look like a phone number.

Set in the future revolving around Batmans protege we see the supposedly dead Joker return from the dead with a gang full of villian siblings. I expected the worst as I really don't like the futuristic setting but it actually isn't all that bad.

This multi-award winning critically acclaimed animated movie has a fantastic rock soundtrack and brilliant voice acting (Including Mark Hamill). It's well paced and a good watch all round.

Truth be told I don't see the unwavering acclaim being justified but it's certainly the best Batman animated movie I've seen for a while.

I really didn't like the payoff, the "Twist" felt cheap and highly unsatisfying. It's like they ran out of ideas and for me it really damaged the film.

Competent enough stuff.

The Good:

Weirdly awesome soundtrack

Mark Hamill

The Bad:

Not keen on the setting

Cutesy villians

Crappy twist

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

I missed the Harley Quinn voice, shame on you Margot Robbie
Wayyy back in the days
OneEightNine Media2 December 2017
Batman Beyond the animated series has a small but loyal following. Personally I never thought much of it. Okay at best. The newer villains always seemed to be lacking somehow and future Batman was too emo and never shut up about it. This film however is nearly outstanding in spite of future Batman because the Joker steals the film. Plus it doesn't hurt that this film has one of the most iconic Joker stories right in the middle of it. An original Joker story so sadistic, it became iconic instantaneously. Anyway, final score 8.6 out of 10.
The return of The Joker
DCfan29 October 2017
Batman Beyond Return of the joker was a really awesome movie if you like the TV show. However, there were a few things which didn't make sense like why was Tim Drake the new Joker, why did the portray him like Jason Todd within the movie and how did Harley Quinn survive the massive fall during a flashback.

My favourite scenes are when Woof comes to attack and Ace fights him, when Terry shouts "Sick him" to summon Ace to fight the joker and when Ace scares The Joker by fighting dirty and giving a scary message.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It may not be perfect, but still easily watchable all the same.
Johnny H.29 September 2016
Return of the Joker is an entertaining film that may be dependent on its related DC-animated-universe shows a little too much to tell its story, but it's good fun and a great Batman story that could have made for a kick-ass live action film.

Mark Hamill owns the show here, and Kevin Conroy's voicing of elderly Bruce Wayne never loses its edge: you hear him and you instantly think Batman. For a straight-to-video film this is one of very few exceptional productions that almost outdo themselves, considering that this was never released in cinemas.

Simply put: like Batman? Watch this.
In 2016, I felt old after watching this since this was part of my childhood xD
Irishreviewer4 August 2016
I remember seeing this when i was like 10ish and aired on Cartoon Network around the early 2000's. It makes me sad to think that the Joker and Batman were no more because, they are just downright awesome as the heroes and villains of the future era. Although they still got their brains to function of whats the best way to control their allies. At the same time though, the Jokerz remind me of the future Suicide Squad and like its interesting to see what the future would be like without Joker or Batman being on the scene.

I actually like the new characters such as the New Batman, Harley Quinn's granddaughters DeeDee,Bonk,Ghoul, Chucko and Woof. They really do know how to kick butt like the present heroes and villains. DC really do know how to make good characters and this is one of their best animated movies they have ever done!

I would give this animated film a rating of 8/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it ever since I first saw it.
tankace23 July 2016
Batman Beyond is an awesome idea to start with, for it answers a question that it had been in the minds of readers and fans of those series for years ,even decades: When Bruce gets old, what it will happen to Batman? For real, if you think about it, is a question with a lot of bread! The answer, Batman Beyond, which is a new man takes the mantel and continuous the tradition and Terry Mcginnis is my personal favorite alternate Batman ,for he is different of Bruce in many way ,but his values, sense of justice and determination are the same and those are the most needed ingredients in order to make Batman!

So this movie title said it all, THE RETURN OF THE *BEEPING* JOKER, what else you think it is about? In short the plot follows Terry as he now is facing the Clown Prince of Crime ,who is back and he must uncover 2 miseries. The first is what this maniac is up and second how is he back? We then get an awesome detective story in a futurist setting, think something like Minority Report of those who haven't seen this movie.

The animation is, even sixteen years after, amazing and as for the fight scenes ,bretty intense for a animated film, those guys, who made it, have real balls, because they don't think they make a children show ,rather that what they do ,and I agree with them ,is making the new mythology of our times! For real ,all of these heroes are our new mythological heroes, just like Hercules and Jason back in the classical age.

My favorite part is what Bruce says to Terry,when this Batman says that the suit gives meaning to his action. Mr. Wayne ,always a straight man when it comes to give answers, replies "It isn't the suit that gives meaning to your actions, it's the other way around" years after retiring you Bats are still awesome! But for real he is 100% right, for a legacy of an organization, a House (GoT), a company or in this case a title worth something only when the persons who have it at the moment do their best for it!

In short it is a must see for any Batman fan and if you have kids ,watch it with them!Also in the end has twist ending that it would put Shamalan in shame nowadays!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It only gets better with age
SlyGuy2122 July 2016
Beings I won't be able to get to "Batman Beyond" before the Bat-a-thon ends, I figured I'd cover one of the best animated Batman movies around. There's not much I can say about this that's bad. There are a few ridiculous moments, and some goofs here and there, but the story's so good it doesn't matter. The animation's slick, the humor is spot-on, the story's both dark and lighthearted, pretty much everything you need to have a great Batman movie. Also, this has one of my favorite movie scenes of all time in it, the flashback of Tim Drake being turned into "Joker Junior". That flashback is haunting for something that's based on an animated Batman show. It's sad that Drake had to go through that, and it's probably the worst thing Joker's done in the DCAU. If you're a fan of "Batman: The Animated Series", "The New Batman Adventures", or "Batman Beyond", you'll love this movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
willhaskew7 May 2016
This Batman animated was probably the true start of DC's straight-to-DVD and VOD dominance in animated comic book films. It served as a sequel to the Batman Beyond and Fox Animated Series. Terry McGuinness, the Batman Beyond of 2035-era, who while investigating theft of high tech satellite equipment is confronted by a criminal who looks and sounds just like the original Joker, Jack Napier, who reportedly died over 30 years earlier. Bruce Wayne, visibly disturbed and dismayed by this Joker's appearance, abruptly demands Terry gives up the mantle of Batman. Terry does so, reluctantly returning the powered Batsuit. The Jokers street gang take their name from the original Clown Prince of Crime and are being taken over for this Joker's schemes. He launches an attack on Wayne, apparently well aware of the other's past identity as Batman. This leads to a revelation from Barbara Gordon, formerly Batgirl and now Gotham PD Commissioner, about the final confrontation between the Bruce Wayne Batman and The Joker that forever scarred Bruce, Barbara and Tim Drake, then still working as Robin. This info sends Terry looking for answers about who this Joker really is and trying to prevent the destruction of Gotham at his hands. This story blends certain elements from The Killing Joke and A Death in the Family for it's plot but does produce a highly original story.

Bruce Conroy, as always, personifies Batman better than any other actor to take up the role aside from Christian Bale (corny voice aside he's still awesome as Batman). However, Mark Hamill owns The Joker's role. Never has The Joker seemed so completely, joyfully evil and depraved of feeling. His end in the movie was controversial leading to an edited cut, which aired on the WB, and unedited cut which was released on DVD. Will Friedle is a very good voice for protagonist Terry McGuinness and hold his own for the most part rather than being swallowed up by the stronger voiced co-stars. This film was also a start of the more mature, darker animation released to DVD and on-demand by DC and Warner. DC seems to have a stronger animated presence than Marvel despite Marvel having a better overall record than DC in recent live action film adaptations.
Prett good
Neil Welch21 February 2016
Terry McGinnis, the Batman of 40 years from now, finds himself up against thugs working for what appears to be the original Joker, who seems to have survived or been reincarnated. Bruce Wayne refuses to tell Terry what happened, yet this appears to be critical to solving the mystery and apprehending this future Joker.

This is a good story, where the present-day Batman set-up meets the future square-on, and this is helped by having a lot of familiar voices in the voice cast, not least of which are Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, of course. Though there were elements which I thought were going to leave me unhappy, the eventual resolution worked well.

I thought some of the animation was a little sloppy but, otherwise, I enjoyed this.
7.9? Really?
adonis98-743-18650319 December 2015
Mask of the Phantasm v.s Return of the Joker that is the ultimate question i try to ask myself and so far i can't choose because i love them both equal because they have a great story, great cast and cool action sequences. That moment when Joker returns to Gotham and Bruce watches him again that was awesome enough since he died years ago in front of him by Robin and he was considered dead. Also if you grew up with the Animated Series there is enough nostalgia here to win you over and i am still amazed how this movie has a 7.9 it's more of a 8.8 at least. At the end Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was EPIC and COOL and the Real Joker is Back or isn't ?
Grim, yet Genius!
namashi_111 April 2015
'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' is a dark superhero fare, that despite being grim, is genius. I was engrossed & entertained.

'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' Synopsis: The Joker is back with a vengeance, and Gotham's newest Dark Knight needs answers as he stands alone to face Gotham's most infamous Clown Prince of Crime.

'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' has confounding moments all through. And the vocal-performances are excellent. Mark Hamill as Joker, delivers a spine-chilling turn, that's easy to loathe, but impossible to forget. Kevin Conroy as an aging Bruce Wayne, adds restrain & maturity to the legend. Will Friedle as Terry McGinnis / Future Batman, provides wit & energy to the young blood he voices. And Dean Stockwell as Tim Drake, is simply superb.

With top-notch animation, a tight script & true thrills, 'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' is unmissable. Go, have fun!
The best animated Batman film
jokerswild114 January 2015
Although I love Batman: The Animated Series, I was never much of a fan of Batman Beyond. Terry was a fairly good protagonist and I liked seeing the elderly Bruce Wayne, but the show had an unfortunately weak rogues gallery. That issue is most definitely corrected in this movie.

The mystery of how the Joker has returned is very well done, although the circumstances of the final reveal are a bit contrived. Mark Hamill always did a great voice for the Joker, and this film contains his best performance as the character, the highlight being the character's frustration during the climax. The action sequences are exciting, especially for an animated film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Return of the Joker is One of the Best Cartoon Films!
CameronJohnH19 November 2014
A truly interesting concept the Joker is back with a twist, Terry as Batman is amazing it dives you in and keeps you engaged with it's outstanding animation! Bruce and Terry's relationship goes deeper than before and the way how the plot turns out is truly shocking. This is most certainly one of the best Batman incarnations yet it stands next to Batman Mask of the Phantasm and every other animated movie it's a shame we don't get enough animated films like this anymore. If you are wanting a good Batman film then watch this first before you go on the Christopher Nolan's trilogy because i kid you not this film out does them well i may have to go in detail compared to the Dark Knight haha! But seriously this is one of the animated films I've seen so far.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatest Batman Movie Yet!
kenandraf4 November 2002
The greatest Batman movie of all time as of this writing.Forget the over hyped live action movies.They have much to learn from the flow and storyline of this great U.S. Anime effort.The way Batman stories are supposed to be: dark drama,action packed and hypnotic.Nothing in this animated movie is impossible to replicate in live action filming now adays (see BLADERUNNER,STAR WARS,ALIENS,etc.).If this kind of quality is not done to the live action versions of Batman movies,it is not because it could not be done,but more because of LACK OF WILL/determination/love for the work involved for such an effort.Maybe one day.....but for now we have this classic animated Batman movie to savor.It could have been a masterpiece if the animation drawings was more detailed (like AKIRA) than presented here but that would be nitpicking.Hope to see more Batman animations with this winning formula in the near future.Something to challenge those lazy live action Batman producers (I know they could do much better).Only for Superhero animation fans and big alternative timeline Batman fans......
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this